Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » While we await the Cummings presser my nomination for the book

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Never could the regulation have forseen two parents getting ill. Truly unique one of a kind situation
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    Nicky 'Baroness' Morgan - now is not the time to examine this, we should be concentrating on dealing with the virus.

What a moral vacuum she is.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Yeah, this isn't going to go down well. Too easily mocked, too memorable, too blatantly bollocks.

https://twitter.com/philgyford/status/1264958968725676033
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    In summary, good for Dominic Cummings.

Bad for the government.

Appalling for public health and the fight against the virus.

Unless he goes, the government and the COVID strategy are going to be in rolling waves of trouble for a long time. Will these be sacrificed for one man?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    dixiedean said:

That reliable barometer of the nation, the Daily Mail best rated comments, are not favourable.
    At all.

Just looked.

Ouch.

Sir Ed Davey sounding rather underwhelmed too.
  • Options
    YouGov snap poll then?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Nigelb said:

Enough to hang on. Not enough to satisfy his critics, even those criticising in good faith rather than for partisan reasons.

Indeed.
    And the account might have been a great deal more convincing if it hadn’t taken days to emerge (see the ‘lawyered‘ comments above).

Why could this not have all been said when the story first broke, rather than waiting - and then blaming the press for their speculation ?
    They needed time to make it up?
    algarkirk said:

Nice example of how important it is not to make a full statement in public until you know the case on the other side in full.

Read between the lines (and assume of course that most of his account is exculpatory nonsense).

Only yesterday the PM was not prepared to accept that DC had visited Barnard Castle. He evaded and was not pressed. At that point clearly they didn't know if it could be proved.

But today it was admitted and a weak explanation given. It has to be that even yesterday it was hoped that the the Barnard Castle thing could not be stood up and could be denied. And would have been denied if possible.

DC has done his best and it was quite well presented. The idea that it is a full and frank account is nonsense. The jigsaw has been carefully arranged to fit the shape of all the bits of evidence.

He'll survive unless and until some new data turns up.

The press didn't help themselves by running an account of a 19 April visit to Durham which rather looks as if it didn't happen.

Something does not smell right about the Barnard Castle story. There was a reason he went there and it’s not the one being given.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    eadric said:

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

Why did he take a child on a potentially dangerous test drive?

Because he didn't want to go on his own, and taking the wife also meant taking the child.
    But he just said there was a niece there to look after the kid?

Regardless I am bored now. So he might have done his job. Bore us all to death, take the sting out
    There was a niece there who had offered to help if required.

Dom, wife and child never actually came close to anyone else during the entirety of their trip, according to his account today.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    'Would X still be upset/not upset if was their side under focus?' is always a good test to undertake. Although it does so often require an implicit admission that, yes, some of the motivation for those angry this time is that partisan effect. No one's a saint.

This story has been an amusing diversion but nothing's been learned or much opinion shifted. Unless we're getting a last minute resignation/sacking or some fresh revelation there's not much fun left to be had with it.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    edited May 2020
    Sir Keir will be delighted. An instant sacking - with it being spun that tough Boris takes no crap from anyone over this crisis, top aid or not - would have been his least preferred outcome. A wounded Dom still in place, questions still rumbling, the public unconvinced and Boris a shrunken figure is very handy for him however.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

Bad for the government.

Unless he goes, the government and the COVID strategy are going to be in rolling waves of trouble for a long time. Will these be sacrificed for one man?

Davey effectively calling on the PM to resign,

Johnson is going to regret trying to shield Cummings.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    There must be some NHS and/or local council provisions for people in London who are ill and cannot manage to care for their child due to having Covid.
    But the real thing that will sink him is that he did not say sorry or that he had any regrets about what he did. An apology can go along way with a lot of people in the country but he didn't take the chance.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    Cyclefree said:

Something does not smell right about the Barnard Castle story. There was a reason he went there and it’s not the one being given.

That’s obvious: it was his wife’s birthday so they went for a nice walk in the woods. Who wouldn’t want to do that?

They can’t come out and say that though, hence the ludicrous dissembling.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345

Its rather depressing when the "evil genius" turns out to be kind of dopey and apparently schooled at the Tommy Wiseau school of drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXlao2KNYjQ
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    dixiedean said:

That reliable barometer of the nation, the Daily Mail best rated comments, are not favourable.
    At all.

If we governed the country according to the Daily Mail's top comments, we'd be parking the entire Royal Navy in the Channel and blasting everything in sight, so people should really be careful what they wish for.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263

Wish these idiotic journalists would stop calling Barnard Castle “Castle Barnard”.

The allegation was that Mr Cummings Drove to Castle Barnard. In actuality he drive to Barnard Castle. Thus absolutely exonerating him and proving all the people attacking him and the Blessed Prime Minister to be cads and bounders
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Enough to hang on. Not enough to satisfy his critics, even those criticising in good faith rather than for partisan reasons.

Indeed.
    And the account might have been a great deal more convincing if it hadn’t taken days to emerge (see the ‘lawyered‘ comments above).

Why could this not have all been said when the story first broke, rather than waiting - and then blaming the press for their speculation ?
    The half hour delay after the Durham Police statement does look suspicious.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed.

algarkirk said:

Nice example of how important it is not to make a full statement in public until you know the case on the other side in full.

Read between the lines (and assume of course that most of his account is exculpatory nonsense).

Only yesterday the PM was not prepared to accept that DC had visited Barnard Castle. He evaded and was not pressed. At that point clearly they didn't know if it could be proved.

But today it was admitted and a weak explanation given. It has to be that even yesterday it was hoped that the the Barnard Castle thing could not be stood up and could be denied. And would have been denied if possible.

DC has done his best and it was quite well presented. The idea that it is a full and frank account is nonsense. The jigsaw has been carefully arranged to fit the shape of all the bits of evidence.

He'll survive unless and until some new data turns up.

The press didn't help themselves by running an account of a 19 April visit to Durham which rather looks as if it didn't happen.

Naah. GSK are no where near Castle Barnard...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    edited May 2020
    No apology

No acknowledgement that its damaged the Govts message

Not even explored any London childcare options

Test drive

2/10
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited May 2020

Sounds as if Dom stumbled his way through it and came out the other end bruised but still alive. The biggest loser in all of this is though is Boris. Much of the magic has faded.

It's a humungous amount of political capital that Boris has just expended.

I can remember when Gordon Brown blew all of his on the election that never was.

Tony Blair blew his on Iraq.

Margaret Thatcher blew hers on the poll tax.

John Major by the ERM debacle.

Neville Chamberlin on peace in our times.

Eden on Suez.

Heath on who runs the country

May on miscalculating the national mood on calling a GE

Harold Wilson on calling an election whilst England were in the throes of a world cup

James Callaghan by announcing his daughters wedding instead of a GE...

PM's have their blow outs when they fritter away their power and position on poor judgement....some issues are more consequential than others....

I think BoJo is now a busted flush and the power will start draining away from him....

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Yes - he said he filled up on the journey back - when he had been cleared medically to do so.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    On how I'd respond if it were Labour politicians, I seem to remember someone grassed up Diane Abbott for drinking alcohol on a London Overground (or Underground, can't remember which) train. I thought that was really harsh on Abbott. But then, I know, it's a lesser crime than what's happened with Cummings.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    I am failing dismally to keep up with the Cummings story. I have already said my piece, the sun is shining and I have been lying in the back garden this afternoon watching swallows and House Martins wheel through the sky as if they are re-enacting the Battle of Britain.

One thing I would say on the fringes of the debate is I am genuinely surprised that PB folk are themselves surprised at the line taken by the Daily Mail. We all said this was coming in one form or another when the editor changed from the staunchly pro-Brexit Paul Dacre to the staunchly anti-Brexit Geordie Greig back in Spetember 2018. Why on earth is anyone surprised that he has leapt joyously at the opportunity to stick the knife firmly between the shoulder blades of the architect of Brexit. That he has been given a sitting target by Cummings' idiocy is irrelevant. Greig can always be relied upon to go for the jugular where Brexiteers are concerned.
  • Options
    Either that, or the car just needed to be left to dry out for a few days afterwards... either way, no harm done! :wink:
  • Options

No apology

No acknowledgement that its damaged the Govts message

Not even explored any London childcare options

Test drive

2/10

My impression, fwiw. Cummings came over well, struck an appropriate tone and did a good job putting the fire out.

But it was already unravelling during press questions and tomorrow's papers will have had another few hours to detail all the holes in his story.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Why did he take a child on a potentially dangerous test drive?

It is hardly the action of a concerned father.

On the other hand, if you need a cover story for what you were really up to it’s exactly what you’d do.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    So we are now going on the strength of an advisor's son's bladder?

Covid's over as a news story.

Next.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408

Marks out of 10 for Dominic Cummings' performance this afternoon:

Probably a grudging 7/10

I'd give him 2

a. By his own admission he walked off his job, without consulting - or even informing - his boss, the acting PM or the Cabinet Secretary. He's clearly incapable of doing ANY real job in a complex organisation.
    b. At no stage did he admit remorse.

Whether that makes Johnson fire him is debatable. But both Johnson and Cummings are even less capable of doing their jobs than I'd have expected. Both have to go.

And will within the next year
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,313

Sir Keir will be delighted. An instant sacking - with it being spun that tough Boris takes no crap from anyone over this crisis, top aid or not - would have been his least preferred outcome. A wounded Dom still in place, questions still rumbling, the public unconvinced and Boris a shrunken figure is very handy for him however.

The media focus on whether the scalp is taken but the effect is on Johnson's reputation and how the public think of him. I think that, for many more people, he will now be thought of as "them" and not "us".
  • Options

I am failing dismally to keep up with the Cummings story. I have already said my piece, the sun is shining and I have been lying in the back garden this afternoon watching swallows and House Martins wheel through the sky as if they are re-enacting the Battle of Britain.

One thing I would say on the fringes of the debate is I am genuinely surprised that PB folk are themselves surprised at the line taken by the Daily Mail. We all said this was coming in one form or another when the editor changed from the staunchly pro-Brexit Paul Dacre to the staunchly anti-Brexit Geordie Greig back in Spetember 2018. Why on earth is anyone surprised that he has leapt joyously at the opportunity to stick the knife firmly between the shoulder blades of the architect of Brexit. That he has been given a sitting target by Cummings' idiocy is irrelevant. Greig can always be relied upon to go for the jugular where Brexiteers are concerned.

His jugular is between his shoulder blades? 😳
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Did no-one listen to what Cummings actually said?

He drove to the outskirts of the castle town, stopped briefly by a river and returned to his lodgings. Didn't go near the castle.
  • Options
    Flanner said:

Probably a grudging 7/10

I'd give him 2

a. By his own admission he walked off his job, without consulting - or even informing - his boss, the acting PM or the Cabinet Secretary. He's clearly incapable of doing ANY real job in a complex organisation.

Whether that makes Johnson fire him is debatable. But both Johnson and Cummings are even less capable of doing their jobs than I'd have expected. Both have to go.

A few weeks ago, Boris overcame death itself.

I think he can handle this trumped-up bullshit :smile:
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    What’s more amazing is a child that can do 262 miles without taking a slash but not 60 miles.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

It's hard to imagine what he is offering as a service which is worth the jokes, criticisms and comments that he has always provoked to a point, but now seems to fully embody. It's clearly not that you never give in to a media/opposition storm, else no one would ever be sacked or resign, so what amazing service does he provide to make up for always getting so much attention?
  • Options

Its rather depressing when the "evil genius" turns out to be kind of dopey and apparently schooled at the Tommy Wiseau school of drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXlao2KNYjQ
    Loved it, definitely in the bracket of things which cannot be unseen.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    Can we now say Dom's car stinks of piss?
  • Options
    doublebageldoublebagel Posts: 14

Certainly an instant sacking for any weak leader who is terrified of confronting bad media coverage. Theresa May would have sacked Cummings before the ink was dry on the first media report. I'm sure "Sir Keir" would have done likewise since his number one priority is "Sir Keir".
  • Options
    Especially since his wife had symptoms of nausea......

It was really lucky his car had a full tank of petrol by chance...I always leave my car full of petrol just on the off chance that I need to do a five hour long haul trip without needing to stop off to take a piss....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Bad for the government.

Oh no, is Davey really doing that? I'm not sure Boris can survive now.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

He drove to the outskirts of the castle town, stopped briefly by a river and returned to his lodgings. Didn't go near the castle.
    Why?
  • Options
    People don't urinate in bottles anymore?
  • Options
    It's definitely not up there with saying the Iraqis can launch a weapon in 45 minutes, nor that David Kelly was a whistleblower, that much is for sure Mr Campbell.
  • Options

So we are now going on the strength of an advisor's son's bladder?

Covid's over as a news story.

Next.
    Well, of course it is. Apparently it’s such a minor illness and lockdown is so relaxed you can travel almost the whole length of England with it.

The Attorney General herself described that as legal and the PM as reasonable.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It is verboten to drive with dodgy eyesight. That's the point, so the test drive was potentially illegal.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/96
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

He comes across as sad and geeky and humble in a way I hadn't expected at all. I feel more sympathetic than I expected, but doesn't change my mind. I am a lot angrier with Johnson than with him but then I always was

I think he’s been warned he needs to cool it. Yesterday he just came across as mind bending ly arrogant.

But the admissions he has made are devastating.
    Bit defensive, isn't he! Never seen him like that before.

He's cleared up a lot of the facts, but he still broke the guidelines, more than once. The 'reasonable excuse' defence doesn't really hold for someone in his position. He ought to resign, but he won't.

That's very bad for the Government, and for those trying to beat this Virus.
    Reasonable excuse is the law. It applies to everyone.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    ydoethur said:

What’s more amazing is a child that can do 262 miles without taking a slash but not 60 miles.
    Considering that they left around midnight maybe the 4 year old was asleep throughout the journey up North?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Sandpit said:

Why is that relevant to the RTA law you responded to.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/PFEW_Chair/status/1264960043478323203

He's at best endangered the public and his child with his actions.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    ydoethur said:

Well his arse is apparently quite close to his elbow so I suppose anything is possible :)
  • Options

Yes I've noticed a lot of pro-EU people are especially keen to cite the Daily Mail as an example to support their arguments, while pretending the circumstances haven't changed over there. "Even the Daily Mail...."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Sandpit said:

That's not relevant to Green's point.
  • Options
    The second home isn't going to play well either, to those new Tory voters. I bet they wish they had a second home they could travel to.

I maintain it was a car crash
  • Options
    tyson said:

Especially since his wife had symptoms of nausea......

It was really lucky his car had a full tank of petrol by chance...I always leave my car full of petrol just on the off chance that I need to do a five hour long haul trip without needing to stop off to take a piss....
    In fairness, that’s believable. I filled up both my cars at the start of lockdown, both as a precaution in case fuel ran short and because it was so damn cheap.
  • Options

Flanner said:

Probably a grudging 7/10

I'd give him 2

Whilst I am genuinely glad the PM survived this virus, I find that sort of language extremely distasteful.

Johnson received excellent NHS care and survived. 36,793 have also received (in most cases) excellent care and have sadly died. He's not strong because he recovered any more than they are weak because they did not. It's just the luck of the draw.
  • Options
    As you want to know CHB...does she drive?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Bad for the government.

The temp leader of the Minibus Party has turned against us? We're done for now, lads!
  • Options
    edited May 2020

ydoethur said:

Well his arse is apparently quite close to his elbow so I suppose anything is possible :)
    As Plato once said:

Ba-boom Tish!
  • Options
    tyson said:

Daily Mirror will be getting her driving license details as we speak.

If that detail unravels, it's going to run and run.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sandpit said:

It doesn’t matter where he drove. If he drive just one foot on the public highway with reason to think his vision was insufficient to safely drive then he committed an offence.
  • Options
    How do PB Tories explain Cummings' trip test his eyesight on the same day as his wife's birthday, to a beauty spot that he just so happened to get out to look at
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

He comes across as sad and geeky and humble in a way I hadn't expected at all. I feel more sympathetic than I expected, but doesn't change my mind. I am a lot angrier with Johnson than with him but then I always was

I think he’s been warned he needs to cool it. Yesterday he just came across as mind bending ly arrogant.

But the admissions he has made are devastating.
    Bit defensive, isn't he! Never seen him like that before.

He's cleared up a lot of the facts, but he still broke the guidelines, more than once. The 'reasonable excuse' defence doesn't really hold for someone in his position. He ought to resign, but he won't.

That's very bad for the Government, and for those trying to beat this Virus.
    Reasonable excuse is the law. It applies to everyone.
    That may well be the hook on which any defence applies, though as a news story I don't think it affects those who are angry from a 'one rule for them not us' perspective - that there were reasonable excuses or exceptional circumstances people could have used for various trips may well only make people angrier, since they either didn't take up those excuses voluntarily and regret that, or did not realise they could and will blame the messaging.
  • Options
    Its Castle Barnard. Nowhere near GSK
  • Options

tyson said:

Daily Mirror will be getting her driving license details as we speak.

If that detail unravels, it's going to run and run.
    Surely, drive and drive?
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,519

Yes I've noticed a lot of pro-EU people are especially keen to cite the Daily Mail as an example to support their arguments, while pretending the circumstances haven't changed over there. "Even the Daily Mail...."
    Isn’t the point that the folk commenting on the DM website are, generally, v supportive of the govt? They aren’t now. How much damage this causes as this rolls on remains to be seen.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Bad for the government.

The temp leader of the Minibus Party has turned against us? We're done for now, lads!
    This certainly could be the time for a government of national unity led by Davey.
  • Options

Its Castle Barnard. Nowhere near GSK
    What's that got to do with anything?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Extraordinary choice of commentators on BBC News. A left-wing academic, then a New Statesman journalist, and now another academic whose is banging on about the working classes.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Flanner said:

Probably a grudging 7/10

I'd give him 2

Whilst I am genuinely glad the PM survived this virus, I find that sort of language extremely distasteful.

Johnson received excellent NHS care and survived. 36,793 have also received (in most cases) excellent care and have sadly died. He's not strong because he recovered any more than they are weak because they did not. It's just the luck of the draw.
    Please let's not add confected word-policing to the lockdown-policing at hand. Feel free to mentally replace 'overcame' with 'survived' if the former is not acceptable to you.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

It doesn’t matter where he drove. If he drive just one foot on the public highway with reason to think his vision was insufficient to safely drive then he committed an offence.
    That’s what I cannot believe. Even if you accept his version of lockdown/quarantine, which the Attorney General does but a judge may not, he’s just freely admitted to a crime live on air.

What a numpty.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Bad for the government.

You might find you lose 600 council seats to the minibus party next May
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

That’s what I cannot believe. Even if you accept his version of lockdown/quarantine, which the Attorney General does but a judge may not, he’s just freely admitted to a crime live on air.

What a numpty.
    That was what I thought. Driving without care and attention.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

I'm sure he believed his vision was more than sufficient, but his nagging wife wouldn't shut up so poor Dom had to try and find a compromise solution. It's just a coincidence that the compromise landed them on a test drive to a beauty spot. ;)
  • Options

Extraordinary choice of commentators on BBC News. A left-wing academic, then a New Statesman journalist, and now another academic whose is banging on about the working classes.

Not extraordinary at all. Perfectly normal in fact.
  • Options
    eadric said:
    Well, in fairness in your case Richard...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502

NEW THREAD

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    eadric said:
    To be fair, pretty much everyone thinks Richard Burgon is a fool.
  • Options

Daily Mirror will be working overtime to prove the Castle story is bollocks

eadric said:

But it's unfalsifiable, I think. They can't get in his head and say Look, he wanted to do something else

They need another eye-witness to dispute his account
    They might try looking into my questions.
  • Options
    I actually think the most implausible bit (out of the many)...was Dom talking about his wife's symptoms at the outset.(yes but no but yes but no)....just to try and evade the quarantine rules.....

When I was much (much) younger, after accumulating numerous bumps on my car over a period, I had to construct a single insurance claim that explained all of them in one incident. It was like Dom's statement.....but I got the car fixed....
  • Options

Flanner said:

Probably a grudging 7/10

I'd give him 2

Please let's not add confected word-policing to the lockdown-policing at hand. Feel free to mentally replace 'overcame' with 'survived' if the former is not acceptable to you.
    It's not "word-policing", and you're a dreadful snowflake for squealing that I am.

I am telling you, for your information, that I found your remark distasteful and explaining why.

I'm not trampling on your freedom of expression, and you can take it on board or not - do what your instincts tell you on this.
  • Options

It's like they're begging for a good old dose of government reform.

If only we had an adviser who might be up for that particular challenge...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

Along with Nicky Morgan and three Tory councillors from the NE.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

What a numpty.
    That was what I thought. Driving without care and attention.
    It’s actually a separate, specific offence under Section 96 of the RTA (1988) to drive with impaired vision.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/96

96 Driving with uncorrected defective eyesight.

(1)If a person drives a motor vehicle on a road while his eyesight is such (whether through a defect which cannot be or one which is not for the time being sufficiently corrected) that he cannot comply with any requirement as to eyesight prescribed under this Part of this Act for the purposes of tests of competence to drive, he is guilty of an offence.
  • Options

They'll have someone from the right on newsnight between 11:05pm and 11:07pm to ensure impartiality is preserved.
  • Options

Flanner said:

Probably a grudging 7/10

I'd give him 2

I know that you are BluestBlue diehard loyalist - I respect that. But in politics a little self-awareness is helpful. Your voters - your key voters especially in red wall seats - are absolutely fucking furious. I don't know how old you are or how long you've been interested in politics but there are plenty of examples of governments shitting the bed and never recovering.

You should be concerned that you consider this to be "trumped-up bullshit" when so many Tory voters do not. Why not go talk to a Tory MP about their email inbox. Or read the Daily Mail. Then tell us how it'll all be forgotten because its trumped up bullshit
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Isn't the real issue here that, as Cummings said, the British government was grappling with an extremely serious crisis but most of the key players were isolating or incapacitated?

And it was so bad he considered it important to get back to London from Durham despite having felt seriously unwell albeit had consulted medical experts saying he could return to work?
This discussion has been closed.