Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » While we await the Cummings presser my nomination for the book

Comments

• That statement on the eyesight thing, with his child, surely he has just admitted to endangering his child
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008

My father has said by his reckoning Cummings has broken quarantine (not just lockdown) at least three times. That's utterly criminal from a public health point of view.

It certainly looks like it. First when he went back to work after being with his wife. Second when he drove his family up to Durham. Third when he drove to Barnard Castle while still symptomatic.

That's two more breaches than we knew about before.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

My father has said by his reckoning Cummings has broken quarantine (not just lockdown) at least three times. That's utterly criminal from a public health point of view.

Yes, but he was uniquely worried, and uniquely busy, and uniquely had an ill child. Checkmate your Honour.
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    DougSeal said:

Do we know that the "public mood" is on this? Media keep referring to it, does anyone give a toss other than Twitter, really, let's be honest?

And the Mail Online comments section. And the thousands of people writing to their Tory MPs. Yeah - we know what the public mood is.
    Lol, okay then. All those MPs, receiving angry letters....Must be filling up the post box
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    hard to understand why he did not resign, work as freelance behind the scenes and come back when the dust had settled. They have just made such a hash of it with their arrogance and thinking they can just do what they want.
    Hopefully it will teach him a lesson on how he should treat people.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,743

Anyway, back to my afternoon task of repairing a brick path...

Are they yellow bricks by any chance?
  • That BBC headline is a killer
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    I don't regret resigning my membership after that. The guy is a wankstain.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    OldBasing said:

All this driving around to/from and around County Durham from London. Didn’t he stop anywhere for fuel?

Is it clear that putting some petrol in a tank and paying with a credit card at the pump ... as we are advised to do ... would be an existential death risk to the country?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Gary doing well, Dom now blaming the press.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

It's a non story.

Now - let's get the economy restarted and the pubs open!

You plebs can go to the pub!

I just want to feel safe enough to be able to complete my conquest of ScotRail by doing those last two trains west and north of Inverness. :)
    Strong call Sunil - I have done both the lines, both are well worth doing and each offer spectacular but quite contrasting views. You should be able to go in July - do it.
    Which one do you prefer? I think the Far Northern is just a touch better, although it doesn’t have that wonderful finish alongside Loch Carron.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    And when he got back down to London, and back into work, he and Boris were both still feeling so ill that they can’t remember what he told him.
    But he’d just driven 260 miles back to London despite feeling that ill, still.
    Hmm.

That was a reasonable explanation which is what the law asks for. Same rule for everyone.

What was the “reasonable” explanation for making a pleasure drive to Barnard Castle?
    He wanted to check how ill he was.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

@Big_G_NorthWales are you really buying this nonsense about driving to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight, which as you know, is also a breach of the rules, and has nothing to do with his kid.

If he was worried about his eyesight, he should have read a number plate at 20 metres, not gone for a drive on public roads!
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

That was a reasonable explanation which is what the law asks for. Same rule for everyone.

No. The law requires a reasonable excuse. Your explanation is subjective, an excuse is objective. And he admitted to driving to Barnard Castle with impared eyesight and Covid-19.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Either Cummings survives or Johnson is done too.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749
    DougSeal said:

Do we know that the "public mood" is on this? Media keep referring to it, does anyone give a toss other than Twitter, really, let's be honest?

And the Mail Online comments section. And the thousands of people writing to their Tory MPs. Yeah - we know what the public mood is.
    The same mood that made his London residence in his opinion unpleasant/unsafe to remain in?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Rasputin, interesting post.

The reason I said he should go was because of the serious damage (partly down to the abject mishandling of the Government's response over several days) that was caused to Government credibility. That's not a party political concern but one that may come back to bite us all if and when future restrictions need to be imposed.
    Gary Gibbon has cut Dom down at the knees. Dom floundering.
    edited May 2020

Gary doing well, Dom now blaming the press.

Nailed him there over his admissions. Stammering and squirming.

The question of course if he is telling the truth, (Big if) is why did he rely on his own guidance and not ask the appropriate authorities?

Edit - questions getting harder and he’s clearly at a loss.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    My Dad doesn't swear, but he's called bullshit on the child not needing a wee on a three hour journey but he did need a wee in a 30 minute drive.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    He's talking about the rules for lockdown, not quarantine.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

Ave_it said:

It's a non story.

I just want to feel safe enough to be able to complete my conquest of ScotRail by doing those last two trains west and north of Inverness. :)
    I was just about to attempt a world record on the London Underground when the lockdown happened, which is rather annoying, lol.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    This is a bravura performance from Cummings. almost stunningly good.
    "Do you regret what you did?"

"No"

That's the killer.
  • ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,501
    tlg86 said:

Which is why both will survive. Those who hate Brexit/Boris/Tories will continue to bay for blood. Those who don't will shrug their shoulders.
    Great question from the guy after Gary Gibbon, this is turning into another disaster.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,708
    Only thing that has gone wrong is press have lied.

No contrition whatsoever
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,117

Ave_it said:

It's a non story.

Do the trains still split to Thurso and Wick or is there now the one which shuffles back to Thurso from Wick? I think it did that the last time.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2020
    The press getting personal now. That isn't a good look. Should stick to clear concise questions. Giving it the you might justify it to yourself, yadda yadda yadda.

tlg86 said:

Which is why both will survive. Those who hate Brexit/Boris/Tories will continue to bay for blood. Those who don't will shrug their shoulders.
    Except that there are plenty of backbench Tories baying for Cummings blood.
    He claims he looked at the guidance at the time and it mentioned exceptional circumstances with small children.

Can anyone identity that reference?
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    ydoethur said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

It's a non story.

Strong call Sunil - I have done both the lines, both are well worth doing and each offer spectacular but quite contrasting views. You should be able to go in July - do it.
    Which one do you prefer? I think the Far Northern is just a touch better, although it doesn’t have that wonderful finish alongside Loch Carron.
    As preference the Far North route to Thurso/Wick - the Kyle route is prettier but the Far north route is more rugged, a bit like me! :lol:
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Journalists now getting warmed up. About time.
    Carnyx said:

Ave_it said:

It's a non story.

Do the trains still split to Thurso and Wick or is there now the one which shuffles back to Thurso from Wick? I think it did that the last time.
    When I was last there in 2015 it went to Thurso and reversed.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,007
    This is epic. Really couldn't be better. He isn't going anywhere but has made the situation a whole load worse for the government.

"I left wifey who had symptoms and went back to work (at Downing Street FFS)" - not allowed
    "I drove 260 miles" - not allowed.
    "I had conversations with my parents" - not allowed.
    "I took a test drive with the sprog in the car to test I could see well enough to drive" - illegal
    "I didn't stop at all in the 5 hour trip to Durham yet the sprog needed a piss after my illegal can I see 30 minute test drive" - fuck off

Epic epic fail. I remember Black Wednesday destroying the Tories financial reputation for 2 decades. And at no point on Black Wednesday did leading SPAD David Cameron push his way to the front of Lamont's press conference and take a Giant Shit before the cameras
    What all this proves is that there must never again be another lockdown, even if we have a more virulent epidemic than the present one.
  • So the conclusion from PB is.

Those who always thought Cummings was innocent still do.

Those who thinks Cummings was guilty still do.

Have I missed anyone?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,708
    Not broken spirit of the regulations even!!

What a piece of work.
    This current guy is a bloody rottweiler.
    ‘I don’t think any reasonable person would take that view.’

Um...I hate to break it to you, but you’re wrong.
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    A queue of torn faced whiners line up at the podium to cry crocodile tears.

A beautiful moment.
    eadric said:

This is the punishment beating strategy. Take a lot of pain, absorb it all, exhaust the haters, bore everyone else

There's an episode in the West Wing when a candidate does exactly this

Blair did it during the 2005 election campaign if I remember correctly, where he went on a one-man Question Time show in front of a very hostile audience. (Or perhaps it was 2001).
    "Families have put up with hardships, not going to funerals, not goling to hospital when their kids are having cancer treatment. What is so special about you? Don't you at the very least think you owe them an apology?"

"No."
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I've no idea how this helps anyone but it's bloody good television.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

It's a non story.

Hopefully, mate! Hopefully! In England, there's also the brand new Trafford branch of Manchester Metrolink (opened just one day before lockdown!), and the Sunday-only Dale Rail in Lancashire (Clitheroe/Hellifield).

So the conclusion from PB is.

Have I missed anyone?

Hardly surprising given there was no change in the information available.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Except that there are plenty of backbench Tories baying for Cummings blood.
    'Plenty' is how many Boris once expelled from the party in a single day for defying him. That was a big scandal then too.

I predict they'll back down.
  • He's losing this on the questioning. He is incapable of expressing regret or empathy, and just retreats to "I acted within the letter".
    Who is this latest guy, he has shot Dom down in flames? What a hero
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    TGOHF666 said:

A beautiful moment.

You’re not on the public’s side with this mate.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    He went for the first drive because he thought he might be incapacitated. He went for the second drive because he thought he might not be able to drive safely! He'll survive but this is too good for people to forget.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    edited May 2020
    Nice example of how important it is not to make a full statement in public until you know the case on the other side in full.

Read between the lines (and assume of course that most of his account is exculpatory nonsense).

Only yesterday the PM was not prepared to accept that DC had visited Barnard Castle. He evaded and was not pressed. At that point clearly they didn't know if it could be proved.

But today it was admitted and a weak explanation given. It has to be that even yesterday it was hoped that the the Barnard Castle thing could not be stood up and could be denied. And would have been denied if possible.

DC has done his best and it was quite well presented. The idea that it is a full and frank account is nonsense. The jigsaw has been carefully arranged to fit the shape of all the bits of evidence.

He'll survive unless and until some new data turns up.

The press didn't help themselves by running an account of a 19 April visit to Durham which rather looks as if it didn't happen.

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Uriah Heap act cannot disguise a very arrogant man.
    He should not have taken questions. Look at the way waverers are changing their minds over this as it goes on.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The Durham police had already said this yesterday.
    edited May 2020
    Cummings strikes me as a Sherlock Holmes type figure, in the sense that he's a genius on some subjects but doesn't know the first thing about other topics, such as where the boundary of London is. Usually a nerd like him would know exactly where it is. (Unless he's pretending not to know).
  • ydoethur said:

He should not have taken questions. Look at the way waverers are changing their minds over this as it goes on.
    Yup, he would have been attacked for running away - but I think that's a lot less bad than what is happening now.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    He really better be sure that the guidance that was published AT THE TIME said all that about small children, otherwise it’ll look really really bad.
    TGOHF666 said:

A beautiful moment.

This pandemic really is a trolls' paradise, isn't?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited May 2020

This is epic. Really couldn't be better. He isn't going anywhere but has made the situation a whole load worse for the government.

"I left wifey who had symptoms and went back to work (at Downing Street FFS)" - not allowed
    "I took a test drive with the sprog in the car to test I could see well enough to drive" - illegal
    "I didn't stop at all in the 5 hour trip to Durham yet the sprog needed a piss after my illegal can I see 30 minute test drive" - fuck off

Epic epic fail. I remember Black Wednesday destroying the Tories financial reputation for 2 decades. And at no point on Black Wednesday did leading SPAD David Cameron push his way to the front of Lamont's press conference and take a Giant Shit before the cameras

This is not Black Wednesday.

Millions lost their homes and jobs after Black Wednesday (and Labour was already ahead in the polls beforehand).

WTO terms Brexit combined with the economic effects of the lockdown and the deaths from Covid might be Black Wednesday but Cummings' actions are not, at most they might be the equivalent of bad tabloid headlines over Ministers' indiscretions
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Have I missed anyone?

Have I missed anyone?

It will depend on how the news media cut the clips. As a whole it’s all reasonable explanations although outside most people’s understanding of the rules. The coverup is the real issue and leads to wider suspicions
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 583
    He was doing OK until the Barnard Castle but - clearly lying on that bit
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    HYUFD said:

Correct. Black Wednesday wasn't an actual life-or-death thing. Covid-19 is.

In case you hadn't noticed.

He really better be sure that the guidance that was published AT THE TIME said all that about small children, otherwise it’ll look really really bad.

It's just that the BBC quotes him as saying "I think that I looked at the guidance, I knew what it was, it talks about exceptional circumstances with small children."

Was it not something that had been said orally?
  • Andy_JS said:

Cummings strikes me as a Sherlock Holmes type figure, in the sense that he's a genius on some subjects but doesn't know the first thing about other subjects, such as where the boundary of London is.

You can read that in some of his blogs.

Some of the drivel he has written on AI and Software Engineering has made me laugh, I speak as a Software Engineer.
    The reason futurology isn't a science: who could have predicted at the start of the year that Dominic Cummings would be hosting a press conference discussing taking a toilet break at the side of the road instead of using a service station.
    HYUFD said:

Millions lost their homes and jobs after Black Wednesday (and Labour was already ahead in the polls beforehand).

WTO terms Brexit combined with the economic effects of the lockdown might be Black Wednesday but Cummimgs' actions are not, at most they might be the equivalent of bad tabloid headlines over Ministers' indiscretions
    And the effect of thousands losing their lives?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    It’s in the governments clear interest for him to go.
    This is beyond ridiculous now. He’s clearly falling to pieces.

The last two questions have kneecapped him. This journalist now has hammered him into a million pieces here. She’s running rings round him.
  • The castle stuff has been a real error.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

Have I missed anyone?

I think he was unwise, made mistakes, but he will have some sympathy following this interview

The guardian have questions to answer
    eadric said:

The Barnard Castle thing is the weak link. If he can secure that, he's OK

With impaired eyesight?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    Andy_JS said:

Cummings strikes me as a Sherlock Holmes type figure, in the sense that he's a genius on some subjects but doesn't know the first thing about other subjects, such as where the boundary of London is.

Quite. SH didn't know or care whether the earth went round the sun or the sun round the earth. (Study in Scarlet)
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    - Do you regret going to Barnard Castle?
    - I think it was a reasonable thing to do.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,007
    HYUFD said:

WTO terms Brexit combined with the economic effects of the lockdown and the deaths from Covid might be Black Wednesday but Cummings' actions are not, at most they might be the equivalent of bad tabloid headlines over Ministers' indiscretions
    Wow. You really are a Cummings
    edited May 2020

Andy_JS said:

Some of the drivel he has written on AI and Software Engineering has made me laugh, I speak as a Software Engineer.
    His stuff on teaching was worse, as he tried to put it into practice.

Edit - who was that? She was very good.
    tlg86 said:
    Not really

Question. Was driving to Durham worse than shagging one's mistress during lockdown? Answer No
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited May 2020
    Started off okay and it then turned into a train wreck . Refusing to apologize and some pathetic excuse for popping off to Barnard Castle will be what most people remember .
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    edited May 2020
    Cummings probably doing this as a bit of an intellectual challenge and to do a unique situation. I think he thinks like that
  • This journalist is taking him to pieces.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Does Mrs C not drive?
  • The statement was fine - but he comes across as so arrogant when he answers questions.
    Should you have told the Prime Minister...?

"I don't know... I have to protect the Prime Minister's time".

How long does a text message take to read?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

The UK government’s worst-in-class (except for parts of the US) response to coronavirus is Black Wednesday. This is singing in the bath. That was what everyone remembered.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    He is such a lying little shit......it's embarrassing.....
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    God this is boring. He looks like a harassed teacher at parent-teacher evening (trestle table and shirt) having to justify giving some hectoring parents' kid a fail.
  • ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    The main thing that Cummings is good at is conning gullible people. I suppose some are watching this with limited critical faculty but that’s his only hope. I think most will be able to spot it miles away, not the outward show but the frantic dissembling underneath it all.
    eadric said:

Why did he take a child on a potentially dangerous test drive?

It's the eyesight thing. It's absolute shite.
  • ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

His stuff on teaching was worse, as he tried to put it into practice.

Edit - who was that? She was very good.
    Those education reforms were dreadful, as some of my teaching friends have told me.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2020

I think he was unwise, made mistakes, but he will have some sympathy following this interview

He probably will have more sympathy, but at the same time he's broken quarantine. He went home to his wife, who was showing covid symptoms, then returns to work? Inexcusable anywhere, but when you work at the heart of government, in the middle of a pandemic .....

Regardless of the technicalities of the law, and even ignoring the whole Durham travel, this alone should cost him his job.

The Barnard Castle stuff is bollocks, but I don't really care about that. It didn't risk anyone else. Returning to Downing Street did, and could have had huge consequences for the country.
  • eadric said:

Why did he take a child on a potentially dangerous test drive?

That aspect of the story is transparent BS. It was a day trip.
This discussion has been closed.