Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » While we await the Cummings presser my nomination for the book

167891012»

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,301
    No, it definitely is a Westminster bubble story. That people notice it after days and days of coverage doesn't change the reason it is as big a story as it is, and why Cummings himself has not taken action to stop that, is because of its juicy interest to politicians and political media as a result of the persons involved.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,418
    The big loser is Boris. Yesterday's press conference was totally embarrassing, and by contrast Cummings's statement (though not necessarily his response to questions) was coherent and thought through, whether or not one believes it all. He is obviously a lot more able than Boris.

Why on earth did Boris not deal with this earlier? I really think Boris is a dud PM, is struggling with the job, and relies on Cummings. I'd be surprised i BJ lasts 4 years.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Back at this time, we were being told that if you were driving somewhere, you could be stopped and asked if your trip was completely necessary. “I’m driving to a beauty spot 15 miles away to test my eyesight” was a reason that genuinely wouldn’t have occurred to me.

That was certainly the really weak part of his account, and it will give the media a bit more fuel to carry on for awhile. Still the Guardian/Mirror won't be getting the outcome they wanted, and that's good enough for me.
    Because Triggering the Libs is better than good government.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,600

Flanner said:

Marks out of 10 for Dominic Cummings' performance this afternoon:

Probably a grudging 7/10

I'd give him 2

a. By his own admission he walked off his job, without consulting - or even informing - his boss, the acting PM or the Cabinet Secretary. He's clearly incapable of doing ANY real job in a complex organisation.
    b. At no stage did he admit remorse.

Whether that makes Johnson fire him is debatable. But both Johnson and Cummings are even less capable of doing their jobs than I'd have expected. Both have to go.

And will within the next year
    A few weeks ago, Boris overcame death itself.

I think he can handle this trumped-up bullshit :smile:
    I know that you are BluestBlue diehard loyalist - I respect that. But in politics a little self-awareness is helpful. Your voters - your key voters especially in red wall seats - are absolutely fucking furious. I don't know how old you are or how long you've been interested in politics but there are plenty of examples of governments shitting the bed and never recovering.

You should be concerned that you consider this to be "trumped-up bullshit" when so many Tory voters do not. Why not go talk to a Tory MP about their email inbox. Or read the Daily Mail. Then tell us how it'll all be forgotten because its trumped up bullshit
    Are they? Less than 50% of Leave voters think Cummings should resign with Yougov compared to almost 70% of Remain voters who think he should go
    The pair of Brendan O'Neil articles are a peach. In the second he praise Fergus on for his lockdown breach.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,052
    Phil said:

Cyclefree said:

Something does not smell right about the Barnard Castle story. There was a reason he went there and it’s not the one being given.

That’s obvious: it was his wife’s birthday so they went for a nice walk in the woods. Who wouldn’t want to do that?

They can’t come out and say that though, hence the ludicrous dissembling.
    Why? That’s human and understandable rather than the eyesight bullshit.
    Sandpit said:

Did no-one listen to what Cummings actually said?

He drove to the outskirts of the castle town, stopped briefly by a river and returned to his lodgings. Didn't go near the castle.
    Worth looking at a map of Barnard Castle, where the river is and the sorts of places located on its outskirts.
    Cyclefree said:

Phil said:

Cyclefree said:

Something does not smell right about the Barnard Castle story. There was a reason he went there and it’s not the one being given.

That’s obvious: it was his wife’s birthday so they went for a nice walk in the woods. Who wouldn’t want to do that?

They can’t come out and say that though, hence the ludicrous dissembling.
    Why? That’s human and understandable rather than the eyesight bullshit.
    Sandpit said:

Did no-one listen to what Cummings actually said?

He drove to the outskirts of the castle town, stopped briefly by a river and returned to his lodgings. Didn't go near the castle.
    Worth looking at a map of Barnard Castle, where the river is and the sorts of places located on its outskirts.
    Maybe he was visiting someone in prison! Suddenly this is all blown wide ope.
This discussion has been closed.