Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » While we await the Cummings presser my nomination for the book

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    He’s totally stumped. He doesn’t know what to say.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,505
    EPG said:

He went for the first drive because he thought he might be incapacitated. He went for the second drive because he thought he might not be able to drive safely! He'll survive but this is too good for people to forget.

No. He went for the second drive because his Wife said he should do so. Don't know about you, but I would do the same if my Wife insisted.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,879
    eadric said:

Why did he take a child on a potentially dangerous test drive?

Because he didn't want to go on his own, and taking the wife also meant taking the child.
  • Options
    Its rather depressing when the "evil genius" turns out to be kind of dopey and apparently schooled at the Tommy Wiseau school of drama.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I'd shoot him to encourager les autres, but I did like the phrase … "I told them it was nonsense but they printed it anyway." Should he be out on his own? Welcome to journalism UK.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195
    Huge opportunity there to just say 'I'm sorry'.

But no.

That's the Daily Mail frontpage lined up then.

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Nice coincidence that this test drive to Barnard Castle was on his wife’s birthday. Really lucky that they could make a day out of it with such a good reason.

He is suck a lying little shit....I repeat

• Options
    Can somebody please ask: DOES YOUR WIFE DRIVE
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eadric said:

Because he didn't want to go on his own, and taking the wife also meant taking the child.
    Then why did he go at all? If he wasn’t sure if he was fit to drive, he wasn’t fit to return to work.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Agreed. Screwed up the politics of this but that's what it is now: politics.

People on a witch-hunt will still seek to get a political scalp. But a father wanting to look after his young family is reasonable.
    Not when the advice published by his government do not allow the actions he took
    You forget that Dom is a lot cleverer than you or me and therefore all those reasonable excuses are available to him whereas Joe Public in the same situation wouldn't know where to start.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    DougSeal said:

eadric said:

It's the eyesight thing. It's absolute shite.
    Must be a brand new Covid symptom!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

But no.

He's essentially confirming the story while saying people are only angry because they stupidly believe what they read in the papers.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

rpjs said:

The petrol stuff seems implausible. He drives a Range Rover, the fuel economy on those is dreadful.

Land Rover USA quotes combined MPG of 21, with a usable capacity of 17.7 gallons (US) which comes out to a range of about 370 miles by my reckoning. So I think it’s plausible.
    He drove to a castle and drove back home right? All without stopping for petrol?
    Do castle ward drives use more petrol than other kinds?
  • Options
    On lockdown news I think just about everyone I know has gone out to lunch with each other.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,002

EPG said:

The "Led by Donkeys" demo and neighbours heckling last night have helped him in his point that his London house is not a particularly "safe" location.

More likely they inspired the authors of that part of the story. Literally every MP and journalist could use the same excuse.
    How many MPs had demos and heckling outside their houses yesterday?
    Well yesterday MPs had the good grace to not talk garbage about going for a drive to get an eye test, but an MP was literally murdered for doing her job four years ago.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Feels its going so well that he has decided to take extra questions!
  • Options
    Starmer going to have fun at PMQs
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

But no.

Why do people find this do difficult to understand? Saying sorry would be an admittance that he's done something wrong. In his opinion, he has not. That's the whole point, if he accepted he had done something wrong he would have to resign.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

So I guess there are two views on this.

On the one hand you think the media have been horrible to him and he deserves sympathy.

On the other hand, he chose to break the rules and act arrogantly, really leaving the media no choice.

No, the majority view is that he broke the rules and should resign, the media doesn't even come into the picture.
    The majority view is in part formed by the media.
  • Options
    The regulations were clarified, it appears on the day the Guardian started asking questions.

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Got to take a microlight for a test flight later this week. Was going to do it alone, but as a responsible father, I think I’ll put my son in the back.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

rpjs said:

The petrol stuff seems implausible. He drives a Range Rover, the fuel economy on those is dreadful.

Land Rover USA quotes combined MPG of 21, with a usable capacity of 17.7 gallons (US) which comes out to a range of about 370 miles by my reckoning. So I think it’s plausible.
    He drove to a castle and drove back home right? All without stopping for petrol?
    It’s about 30 miles. So add in 260 that brings us to 320. That’s feasible on one tank, even in a full Range Rover. But it would be cutting it quite fine.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273

Chris said:

So the conclusion from PB is.

Those who always thought Cummings was innocent still do.

Those who thinks Cummings was guilty still do.

Have I missed anyone?

I think he was unwise, made mistakes, but he will have some sympathy following this interview

The guardian have questions to answer
    You're hilarious.
    You may not like it but that is a fair comment
    It really isn't. The Guardian reporting witnesses reporting him somewhere isn't as yet in question. Dom says he wasn't. But so what as he's telling an absolute load of cobblers and explicitly made statements that haven't transpired to be true.

This is a political crisis. He cannot exonerate himself by proving that charge 17 was false therefore the long list of things he has just confessed to having done that are directly contrary to the rules and some literally illegal don't matter
    The guardian saying he went back twice was wrong and he can prove it by his gps records
  • Options

But no.

Why do people find this do difficult to understand? Saying sorry would be an admittance that he's done something wrong. In his opinion, he has not. That's the whole point, if he accepted he had done something wrong he would have to resign.
    STAY HOME
    PROTECT THE NHS
    SAVE LIVES
  • Options
    eadric said:

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

But he just said there was a niece there to look after the kid?

Regardless I am bored now. So he might have done his job. Bore us all to death, take the sting out
    My earlier comment: he will baffle us so that we really can't be bothered anymore.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,261

But no.

Equally simply, people with the virus symptoms were told to stay at home, no exceptions.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    Sandpit said:

eadric said:

?

I thought the whole point of going to Durham was that his sister could help with the child!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Even if you think that Cummings hasn't done anything unreasonable, that he's in this position tells you that they are wrong to be fighting this.

Politics isn't an especially fair business. Governments have to take pragmatic views of situations. That this has been a massive media storm was completely predictable.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    stjohn said:

stjohn said:

Paddy Power have bets about the statement. Evens he confirms he visited Barnard Castle. I’ve had the £10 they allowed me.

This buzzword has now been taken down.
    Peter. It is still there with Paddy Power. Not as a buzzword but whether he confirms he was at Barnard Castle. Now 4/6.
    Top tipping. Spend your £10 wisely.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    ydoethur said:

Phil said:

"I was just testing my eyesight by driving to Barnard’s Castle” is the going to be the new "We just went to Salisbury to see the lovely cathedral" at this rate.

New advertising campaign: "Barnard Castle? Should've gone to Specsavers."
    Now that’s unfair. Barnard Castle is beautiful.

Maybe ending up in Consett by mistake would be the way of doing it.
  • Options
    doublebageldoublebagel Posts: 14
    edited May 2020
    I can't help but wonder if any of the journalists who got important aspects of this story completely wrong themselves have offered their own resignations?

No doubt their mistakes have led to feeding the public erroneous information that may well ultimately have put lives at risk.
  • Options

Land Rover Discovery. They have massive tanks (75l, from memory).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

On lockdown news I think just about everyone I know has gone out to lunch with each other.

It ended this weekend. And the man who ended it is on TV now.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273

Parliament are in recess
  • Options
    Oh well, all over now!
  • Options
    Ooops. Oooops. Oooops.

‘The situation does not apply to me.’

That loud noise you heard was Mirror, Mail and Guardian subs cheering very loudly.
  • Options

Recess this week, no PMQs.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sandpit said:

Land Rover Discovery. They have massive tanks (75l, from memory).
    That assumes a full tank.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    The most popular comments on the Daily Mail reporting of this are all ones tearing Cummings a new arsehole
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,179
    I can see the attraction for Cummings for his decision, but was it necessary?

There were clearly alternative actions that would have been less risky for his family and society as a whole and so he made the wrong choice.

I'm gobsmacked that he didn't explore the possibility of someone in London being on standby to help with his child.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

rpjs said:

I think he claimed he left London on a full tank and stopped to fill up on the way back to London. I do hope he has the receipts to back it up.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

TOPPING said:

It ended this weekend. And the man who ended it is on TV now.
    Bollocks - it ended after the 'easing' announced by Boris two weeks ago. Our neighbours started having friends round on the Wednesday, by Friday the beaches were full. Lockdown ended a fortnight ago for many.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    At least we now know why the government let people drive however far they wanted. Odd policy. Only now does it make sense.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

rpjs said:

I think he claimed he left London on a full tank and stopped to fill up on the way back to London. I do hope he has the receipts to back it up.
    So he admitted to being out in public whilst still contagious then?
  • Options

I can't help but wonder if any of the journalists who got important aspects of this story completely wrong themselves have offered their own resignations?

No doubt their mistakes have led to feeding the public erroneous information that may well ultimately have put lives at risk.

What mistakes? He’s admitted everything they said was basically correct!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119

The regulations were clarified, it appears on the day the Guardian started asking questions.

The BBC points out that the online guidance about self-isolation does include this (and it did include it at the time):
    "If you are living with children
    Keep following this advice to the best of your ability, however, we are aware that not all these measures will be possible.
    What we have seen so far is that children with coronavirus (COVID-19) appear to be less severely affected. It is nevertheless important to do your best to follow this guidance."
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    IanB2 said:

But no.

Equally simply, people with the virus symptoms were told to stay at home, no exceptions.
    I'm slightly reluctant to point out anything that would give Cummings succour, but that wasn't true.

If you look at the old versions of the advice on the NHS website (not gov.uk), you will find several exceptions quoted there. For example, they were advising that those with symptoms could still exercise once a day:

The advice has since been tightened up, I think.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rpjs said:

He’d already done over 270+ miles since his last refuel
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Yep.

https://twitter.com/martinkettle/status/1264957297584988167?s=20

But for many the "human" issue wasn't the issue - its the government advisor breaching the government's guidelines which was the problem.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    I have to say that I think the Press, and particularly Led by Donkeys, should be cleared from outside his house.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

We can start with the multiple trips back and forth from London to Durham that has featured heavily in recent reporting from the leftie hacks desperate to get their man.
  • Options
    Genuinely a bit undecided how the public will respond to that. I think he's guilty as hell but I thought that anyway
  • Options
    So, time for the biggest dead cat ever to land on a table?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Should you have told the Prime Minister...?

"I don't know... I have to protect the Prime Minister's time".

How long does a text message take to read?

Plausible deniability. Not telling the PM gives Boris an out when the shit hits the fan. What Dom has done today is ensure Boris doesn't go down with him when the eventual resignation comes in a couple of days.
    I disagree. Boris will be going with him.
    He won't, Boris is the best Tory election winner since Thatcher
    Even Thatcher had to resign eventually!
    Top 3 Tory general election winners since WW2.

1. Thatcher.
    2. Macmillan.
    3. Boris.

When Macmillan went the Tories lost the 1964 general election and only won 1 majority for the next 16 years.

When Thatcher went the Tories narrowly won in 1992, lost by a landslide in 1997 and did not win another majority for 18 years after that.

The omens are not good for getting rid of Boris
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    In making this about him, in having such a press conference, he is shockingly blind to the wider implications. It’s like a subplot that puts into question the whole wider message of a story. In this instance, in trying to save himself at the expense of the government and his boss he exposes their weakness.

He is trashing the reasons as to why they were elected, trashing the message about the virus and public health and trashing the people that he is supposedly helping.

You watch or read a scene like that and it makes you think, why did I waste my time on what went before? Then you stop watching, or listening or (potentially) voting.
  • Options

How the media collectively react now is going to be very interesting to watch.

IMO he came across as quite humble, even a little apologetic while not wanting to say he broke the rules.

He's an introvert who doesn't spend his days giving press conferences, and IMO (as a fellow introvert) he did okay. The extrovert alphas of the press pack may of course disagree.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52800595

Saying it like this is going to be the real killer

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1264947907217821696

The car thing sounds like nonsense to me

What was he doing in Barnard Castle? Did he explain that?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

ydoethur said:

We can start with the multiple trips back and forth from London to Durham that has featured heavily in recent reporting from the leftie hacks desperate to get their man.
    There was some suggestion that he hasbeen back since returning to London and he didn’t really refute it.

The key thing is that he’s admitted to going to Durham without seeking advice on whether he was permitted to, and driving to Barnard Castle with an excuse that is about as convincing as Nixon’s defence.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    What a pro.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Genuinely a bit undecided how the public will respond to that. I think he's guilty as hell but I thought that anyway

He is. And he made a good case describing his actions. But he broke the rules. Rules which he helped formulate.

So for me on balance he is in the wrong. Don't expect him to be resigned though.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,139
    Vicky Young's really smart analysis impresses. Why is she not the BBC Political Editor.
  • Options

Most of the public will decide whatever their favourite news channel, news site or newspaper tells them to think. So not much change was ever going to come from this. I think Cummings handled it pretty well, though the short trip to test his eyesight doesn't feel right. Funny how they ended up at such a destination on a test drive. :)
  • Options
    Next time I decide to drink drive, I'll tell the Police I'll drive 30 miles first to check
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,300
    Sounds as if Dom stumbled his way through it and came out the other end bruised but still alive. The biggest loser in all of this is though is Boris. Much of the magic has faded.
  • Options
    Back at this time, we were being told that if you were driving somewhere, you could be stopped and asked if your trip was completely necessary. “I’m driving to a beauty spot 15 miles away to test my eyesight” was a reason that genuinely wouldn’t have occurred to me.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

Oh well, all over now!

No chance lots more mileage in this
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    This "driving to test my eyesight" line is poorly judged.
    Remarkably bad and dangerous judgement at the time and almost as bad an idea to use it as an actual defense now.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,100
    Assuming he is telling the truth about not stopping on the way (and I hope every piece of CCTV on the A1(M) is being scoured as we speak) the fact is that he still took a huge risk with the safety of others, because he might have had to stop. It's like drink driving and saying it was ok because I didn't have an accident. And it was an unnecessary risk because he could have had someone look after his kid in London - one of his famous nieces could have even come down if required. And in the end they didn't need any help so by his own admission the whole journey was an unnecessary risk. And it's obvious he knew it was wrong because he and his wife have written an account of their suffering and neglected to mention it.
    Oh, and he said the public was "mad". He needs to go.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,258
    edited May 2020
    Most damaging aspects from that:

1. Barnard Castle eye test is transparently a lie. There are other holes, but that's the laugh line.

2. Says he couldn't arrange any childcare in London... but later admits he didn't even try.

3. For Johnson - he knew about it for weeks but never expressed any concern or interest at all until it was a media story.

4. No empathy at all for people who didn't even have the option of going to a cottage on the family farm, and indeed made immense sacrifices.

5. Feigned lack of appreciation this would impact future public health messages.
  • Options
    DC still in post 1st June?
    PP/Betfair 5/2 go, 1/4 stay
    Ladbrokes 5/2 go, 2/7 stay
  • Options

Back at this time, we were being told that if you were driving somewhere, you could be stopped and asked if your trip was completely necessary. “I’m driving to a beauty spot 15 miles away to test my eyesight” was a reason that genuinely wouldn’t have occurred to me.

Thirty.

Now having spent all my time slapping down people for saying Durham is 350m from London, i’m telling them Barnard Castle is further they think from Durham!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1264947907217821696

The car thing sounds like nonsense to me

What was he doing in Barnard Castle? Did he explain that?
    He said he went on short drive, to the outskirts of the castle town. Didn't visit the castle.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    edited May 2020
    Wish these idiotic journalists would stop calling Barnard Castle “Castle Barnard”.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    ydoethur said:

Thirty.

Now having spent all my time slapping down people for saying Durham is 350m from London, i’m telling them Barnard Castle is further they think from Durham!
    Depends how bad your eyesight is.
  • Options

Oh well, all over now!

The media can carry on if they like trying to find other accounts from people who caught fleeting glimpses of the man during those two weeks. The PM won't be sacking him, and Cummings won't be resigning, and the public will get sick of this.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

Only a quarter of the journalist questions have genuinely moved the story on. Most of them are pish.

1/4 being useful seems like a reasonable return on journalist questions.

Most of the public will decide whatever their favourite news channel, news site or newspaper tells them to think. So not much change was ever going to come from this.
    Yep. Without even going so far as to suggest people just do what their media tells them, opinions on this were set days ago, they aren't changing now.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    edited May 2020
    ydoethur said:

Thirty.

Yup. Barnard Castle is basically in Yorkshire!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,039

I didn't even ask any friends in London to help out. Ouch.

Has he got any friends? As opposed to associates?
    He has colleagues. Roger Gale MP said on R4 that he was entitled to ask the Head of the Civil Service for help in a family crisis. Why didn't he?
    Surely your instinct is to ensure your young child is looked after by someone you know, a family member or friend, not a civil servant!
    Just not ones in London apparently.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,619
    Well I was surprisingly impressed, but I also have this nagging feeling that I am also gullible, particularly as we know Boris tells porkies.

I want to cross examine just to convince myself I haven't been taken in :)

Explains why Boris avoided the Castle visit question yesterday as that would have opened up a can of worms that would have involved him giving the whole story which wouldn't have been appropriate in the time slot and needed to be first hand.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Oh I'm sure he'll enjoy asking the Prime Minister questions for many years to come :smile:
  • Options
    Who's on lectern duty? Is it Boris?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/montie/status/1264961398020485128

PB Tories would be on this for days
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited May 2020
    Marks out of 10 for Dominic Cummings' performance this afternoon:

Probably a grudging 7/10
  • Options
    So would I, in fairness.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    That reliable barometer of the nation, the Daily Mail best rated comments, are not favourable.
    At all.
  • Options

That was certainly the really weak part of his account, and it will give the media a bit more fuel to carry on for awhile. Still the Guardian/Mirror won't be getting the outcome they wanted, and that's good enough for me.
  • Options

Oh well, all over now!

I meant the Presser!
This discussion has been closed.