Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds remainers more likely than leavers to

Comments

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Could it be LAB/SNP overall maj on MRP?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited December 2019
    Aren't tactical voters sawing off the branch on which they sit?

Why on earth should the Labour party come round to changing the electoral system if LibDems are willing to vote Labour tactically?

LibDems should not vote tactically, otherwise the system will never change.

The LibDem should say, "We will withdraw our candidates from 100 seats and urge our voters to vote tactically if you, the Labour party, do likewise for 50 seats".

Tactical voting without a quid pro quo is giving away something for nothing.

Otherwise, the LibDems will continue to see their Labour MP pleading for their tactical vote, election after election.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    Byronic said:

A politically savvy friend of mine just made a brilliant and encouraging point

How many self respecting women would admit to fancying Boris, let alone sleeping with him? 10%? 5%?

Yet they DO fancy him and they DO sleep with him. He's probably boffed more women than any PM since Lloyd George.

Ditto the Tories, People won't admit to fancying them, but they will vote for them, in secret. Especially women

Whatever you do, don't drink that fourth pint of absinthe!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

timmo said:
    Well, if that's true it's very similar to what I was predicting until yesterday. I think it's down to around 10-24 now, though.
    If so there is a lot of bullcrap being talked about Tories breaching the red wall.
  • Options
    timmo said:
    What is the exclamation mark in the url for - speculation maybe !!!
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

If the LDs go down to single figures in seats and vote share, are they dead forever?

Gotta be close

Last time they needed 45 years to recover, if you count 1929 to 1974.
    Or 73 years if you count 1910-1983.

Basically it's close for the last person to remember how bad they where when in power, to have died off.

So it could be sometime by the end of the 21st century.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794

So the predicted majority is 30. That guy tweeting all this is never going to be told in the future is he.

I cannot further express my opinion of the gentleman without resorting to some very bad language.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    marke0903 said:

NEW MRP model from Focaldata:

CON 337
    LAB 235
    SNP 41
    LD 14
    PC 3
    GRN 1
    BXP 0
    Speaker 1

CON majority 24

A Brexit designed by the ERG with those figures.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

How many self respecting women would admit to fancying Boris, let alone sleeping with him? 10%? 5%?

Yet they DO fancy him and they DO sleep with him. He's probably boffed more women than any PM since Lloyd George.

Ditto the Tories, People won't admit to fancying them, but they will vote for them, in secret. Especially women

:D:D:D:D

A man opines on what women think.....
    I merely state the facts of the matter
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Byronic said:

If the LDs go down to single figures in seats and vote share, are they dead forever?

Gotta be close

No you just have to look at their local government base and the fact that the so called big parties are both crap.
    Hello nichomar. I am on Ryanair.com now. I am moving in on Friday, can you please confirm I can move into your spare room?

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    What was the previous maj with Focaldata?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Look, will somebody just punch him? Arrogant prick.
    My god, what a knob
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

I merely state the facts of the matter
    And as we know, you never fib.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

What is he pkaying at. Pathetic attention seeker
    I’m even less inclined to believe his previous tweets given his latest one . He needs to STFU ! Apologies for my bad language but really he’s seriously beginning to grate now.
    Looks as if he has done something we have been unable to do

Unite us
    True . Finally someone manages to unite the warring factions ! Seriously though this forum is really not that acrimonious , it’s quite funny at times with some decent lighthearted banter .
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    IanB2 said:

It doesn’t sound like MRP will make pleasant reading for the LDs.

Money on Swinson being next leader to quit? Corbyn might avoid going immediately (perhaps a pledge to quit before next conference?) whereas if it’s a poor LD night Swinson could go quickly.

I’m not saying incredibly likely. I think she’ll probably on balance get another chance given she’s only just taken the job, but there might be value there?

Swinson is brand new and will be given time to grow into the job. The mistakes are strategic - getting carried away after the Euros and planning a campaign expecting to be about to sweep the country. Adopting a revoke policy that wouldn’t attract a single extra voter but would repel many soft remainers. Appointing the same guy to manage the campaign that made such a shambles of 2017. Making idiots of themselves by abusing OGH’s permission to use his reputation to send absurd voter letters to no-hope constituencies up and down the land. Claiming to be focused on denying Bozo his majority yet even today directing activists toward seats where we are up against Labour remainers. Etc.
    Like Malcolm Tucker says: if we fire you now it looks like *we* fucked up.
  • Options
    🔔🔚
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Some chatter on social media that the Scot Tories fancy it in Lanark and Hamilton East
    Hyper marginal SNP seat, dyor
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Ave_it said:

Could it be LAB/SNP overall maj on MRP?

No.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

That is better, a majority of Forty or Fifty.
    The swingometer says a majority of around 50 if the Conservatives lead by 11%.
    30?
  • Options
    Re NHS - my stepmother has been waiting for an x-ray result for over two weeks now. Two separate conversations with cab drivers - one Romanian, one Egyptian - and both told me they could get x-ray results in their home countries in 5 minutes.

Also my father - suffering from cancer and other ailments - was 10 days ago discharged from hospital only to record a temperature of 39.8 two hours later. And promptly had to return to the same hospital the very same day.
  • Options
    Can people check before they post stuff on the MRP. The figures Matt Singh is talking about is not the YouGov MRP.
  • Options

Some chatter on social media that the Scot Tories fancy it in Lanark and Hamilton East

Loads of SLAB vote to squeeze with only 350 votes between 1st and third last time. If there is to be a Con gain in Scotland it has to be a prospect from what it looks like on paper.
  • Options
    Fuck. So MRP is not gonna relieve the anxiety

24-30 is what I predicted at the very beginning of the campaign (i.e a small majority) but right now it feels far far far too close.

Labour is fast catching up, the boy-on-the-floor has yet to impact the polls, it needs the tiniest swing for Boris to be unseated by a quasi-Islamist Marxist Jew-hater.

I need heroin.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    MikeL said:

What was the previous maj with Focaldata?

FocalData previously predicted a majority of 78 in their pre-campaign MRP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election#Seat_predictions
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

rcs1000 said:

I would be opposing the LDs in every seat now. They could be looking at almost a wipe out I fancy.

They'd have to be pretty unlucky to increase their total vote count by 50+% and see an almost total wipeout.

Not impossible, of course, but unlikely.

I'd have thought their Deepest Remainia seats would be pretty safe: Twickenham, Kingston, OxWAb, Bath, plus Orkney & Shetland. I'd also be staggered if they didn't take Richmond Park.
    That would be almost a wipe out wouldn't it? 12 per cent plus is not a given either- we have already had polls at lower levels and there is still the potential last minute squeeze to come.
    Clearly you are attempting to talk the lib dems down part of the silent conspiracy that has been in play from both lab Tory and con from day one not sure why you’re bothering unless you resent having your council seat taken from you.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869

speedy2 said:

30?
    Look if you start with 60 apples..........
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:
    340 seats means an effective majority of 38. He's an arse to be breaching the embargo, though.
  • Options
    Tory overall maj at 1.39 is back where it was before the Survation outlier on Sunday
  • Options
    I won’t believe the YouGov MRP till I see it in the flesh.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019

Can people check before they post stuff on the MRP. The figures Matt Singh is talking about is not the YouGov MRP.

To be fair Yougov's is not the only MRP in town, nor is it necessarily the oracle it's being built up to be.
  • Options

speedy2 said:

30?
    If it is only 30 then it will be probably another Hung Parliament, since the direction will be too heavy in favour of Labour.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

Re NHS - my stepmother has been waiting for an x-ray result for over two weeks now. Two separate conversations with cab drivers - one Romanian, one Egyptian - and both told me they could get x-ray results in their home countries in 5 minutes.

Also my father - suffering from cancer and other ailments - was 10 days ago discharged from hospital only to record a temperature of 39.8 two hours later. And promptly had to return to the same hospital the very same day.

I've been to Romania and I lived in Egypt for a few months.

The NHS might be a bit wobbly, but it is infinitely superior to anything in either of those countries, especially Egypt, one of the poorest countries in the Arab world
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

To be fair it's not the only game in town, nor is it necessarily the oracle it's being built up to be.

Speaking of other MRPs, I missed that Datapraxis did their version 3 days ago (maj 38).
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

24-30 is what I predicted at the very beginning of the campaign (i.e a small majority) but right now it feels far far far too close.

Labour is fast catching up, the boy-on-the-floor has yet to impact the polls, it needs the tiniest swing for Boris to be unseated by a quasi-Islamist Marxist Jew-hater.

I need heroin.

Hello Byronic. Did you change your investment profile?

Looks like odds on LAB/SNP majority happy days for Corbynistas Smithson/TSE/Meeks/Cyclefree.

I have a small investment property in Luxulyan. Would you like to move in?

• Options
    speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

30?
    If it is only 30 then it will be probably another Hung Parliament, since the direction will be too heavy in favour of Labour.
    Hmm not sure you can say that. It does look like if there is a majority it’s going to be sub 50 though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    How relieved are Tories going to be to see their projected majority falling based on polling done some days in advance of polling day, and with the models self-confessed weakness in picking up seat-specific campaigning?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Byronic said:

Yeah that bloke who’s got loads of kids with different women is a right flop with the ladies
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I need heroin.

If you keep up with these hysterical posts so will I !
  • Options
    houndtang said:

x-rays they already have in the drawer before you turn up don’t count.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

30?
    If the majority is 30 then it's not a hung Parliament - by definition.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The Focaldata MRP is really weird.
    They have the Conservatives doing better in London than in the North.

They have the Conservatives of being in danger in Cumbria but IDS being comfortably ahead.
  • Options

I called that in Oct. Could still be CON 20 seats in Scotland. Possibly 25. Everyone hates Sturgeon
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

30?
    It's the direction of travel, it would only need a swing of 1.5% from that position.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

How large is the error bar on an emoji?

Eye of the beholder, IMHO. I really struggle to read pictures. A thousand words is better every time.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    houndtang said:

The taxi drivers are naughty little fibbers.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    TudorRose said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

30?
    I think he means that if the Tories are on course for a majority of 30 if the election was today then, given Labour are closing the gap, it will probably be a hung parliament when the election is on Thursday.

For the record, I don't think that. It's just my reading of what he means.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Labour easily holding seats like Canterbury and Workington, among the first vital sea being declared.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

rcs1000 said:

I would be opposing the LDs in every seat now. They could be looking at almost a wipe out I fancy.

They'd have to be pretty unlucky to increase their total vote count by 50+% and see an almost total wipeout.

Not impossible, of course, but unlikely.

I'd have thought their Deepest Remainia seats would be pretty safe: Twickenham, Kingston, OxWAb, Bath, plus Orkney & Shetland. I'd also be staggered if they didn't take Richmond Park.
    That would be almost a wipe out wouldn't it? 12 per cent plus is not a given either- we have already had polls at lower levels and there is still the potential last minute squeeze to come.
    Clearly you are attempting to talk the lib dems down part of the silent conspiracy that has been in play from both lab Tory and con from day one not sure why you’re bothering unless you resent having your council seat taken from you.
    I have been selling LD seat numbers for the last fortnight as you will see from my posts here but have now cashed out at a large profit following the last You Gov MRP and just left with some small constituency bets.Therefore I don't care from a betting point of view. I knew this election was not going to be good for the LDs and was just trying to give you guys the heads up on this site. No one really listened though.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Yeah, there's a bunch of very odd results. Another one is the tories winning Stoke Central, but labour retaining the neighboring Newcastle-under-Lyme with an increased majority (both are heavily leave).

• Options
    speedy2 said:

They have the Conservatives of being in danger in Cumbria but IDS being comfortably ahead.

And not gaining Barrow
  • Options
    Even if the YouGov MRP is true (as leaked) there’s a very slim MoE between 340 and 359 seats.

As always, so much comes down to local issues, tactical voting on the day, and turnout.

And, as @isam quite rightly said, it may be the YouGov MRP in GE2017 just got lucky once.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I have little time for focaldata. I want Yougov!
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Bolsover Tory Gain
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited December 2019
    speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

30?
    The direction of travel was the opposite until Monday - but who the fuck really knows? It's far too close for comfort for us Tories, but I'm strangely calmer now than I have been for the last 2 days.

A majority of ONE stops Corbyn becoming PM, sees Brexit over the line (for now), and that's enough for most of us.
  • Options

speedy2 said:

Bolsover Tory Gain
    Bolsover Skinner maj 1,000. But CON gain Derby N, Ashfield and just maybe Derby S???

• Options
    I will happily swap you stories of my experience of the NHS over the last few years and it has nothing to do with funding. Dad was stuck in a hospital for 3 weeks as he couldn`t go back to his care home as a hospital discharged someone to the home with Norovirus shutting the home for 3 weeks. Mum was stuck in a bed over a weekend as a care home wouldn`t take patients while there was no GP surgery at the weekend. Mum twice was stuck because hospital transport failed to turn up. If an elderly patient needs Social care if its not been arranged by a Friday lunchtime forget it will be Monday before they go and they wonder why there is a shortage of beds.
  • Options
    Stocky said:
    So, not the gold standard, then ;)

I'll just wait for the YouGov...
  • Options
    saddened said:

houndtang said:

Or they have to pay to have an x-ray?
  • Options
    Newcastle under Lyme staying Labour, but Don Valley going Con - poor TissuePrice!
  • Options
    Artist said:

marke0903 said:

NEW MRP model from Focaldata:

CON 337
    LAB 235
    SNP 41
    LD 14
    PC 3
    GRN 1
    BXP 0
    Speaker 1

CON majority 24

A Brexit designed by the ERG with those figures.
    We’d risk a No Deal Brexit with that.

It’s in everyone’s interests for Boris to win big, even the Labour Party as it’s their only route back to sanity and Government.
  • Options
    Stocky said:
    I can’t see that . There are some very strange constituency results there .
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Newcastle under Lyme staying Labour, but Don Valley going Con - poor TissuePrice!

He's doomed.

https://twitter.com/AaronBell4NUL/status/1204448310666387457
  • Options
    Brom said:

Thanks to an arrogant prick, apparently it's a majority of 30 for Con and the Libs in the toilet.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Focaldata

Hallam Lab hold!
  • Options

speedy2 said:

And not gaining Barrow
    Barrow is a nailed on Tory Gain with sex pest Woodcock on their side surely
  • Options

kle4 said:

He's doomed.

He looks shifty and somewhat nervous
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I need heroin.

I would not wish to share a trench with you.

I'm just a bit bemused at the way some people seem to think Corbyn is storming to victory, when his ratings are in the toilet.
  • Options
    camel said:

Focaldata

Hallam Lab hold!

Not even close either. Bloody hell, Hallam, what would it take?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Even if the YouGov MRP is true (as leaked) there’s a very slim MoE between 340 and 359 seats.

As always, so much comes down to local issues, tactical voting on the day, and turnout.

And, as @isam quite rightly said, it may be the YouGov MRP in GE2017 just got lucky once.

MRP update in 2017 was of course lower than the original and in reality the Tories outperformed them both
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Hmm - Grieve may only be about 10% behind now in Beaconfield, according to this. That may be the reason for the peculiar hustings cancellation by the Tories mentioned in the Indy.

He also thinks Raab's in trouble.

https://twitter.com/paulhilder/status/1204445438071517184
  • Options
    Brom said:

It does illustrate that the modelling - which is as much art as science - is as important as the polling.
  • Options

kle4 said:

He's doomed.

We'll win Newcastle UL even if we only get 310

#goaaron

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    The Conservative lead will be at least ten points, and I would be very surprised if the majority is less than 80. (I reckon the Conservatives will beat 1987, but fall short of 1983.)

The Labour Party will find itself with a seat total very similar to the Conservatives in 1997. While they'll hold up well in dense city centres and university seats, they'll do poorly in their traditional heartlands. Lots of smaller Leave-leaning towns are going to go Blue.

The LibDems are going to regret "Bollocks to Brexit", and personalising the campaign around Jo Swinson. She may even lose her seat. That being said, in pure vote terms, the LDs will do significantly better than in '15 or '17. With 50+% more votes than last time, and it would be surprising if they were to actually fall backwards in number of seats.

The SNP benefits in 2019 from Lab-to-SNP switchers, and Unionist tactical voting unwinding thanks to Brexit... but this is probably a one-off. With Brexit behind us, Unionist tactical voting will return in 2024.

Save this post.
  • Options
    Lab down 10 points in Manchester Gorton to a mere 66. Terrible.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    kle4 said:

Which MRP is that from?
  • Options
    Nobidexx said:

speedy2 said:

Yeah, there's a bunch of very odd results. Another one is the tories winning Stoke Central, but labour retaining the neighboring Newcastle-under-Lyme with an increased majority (both are heavily leave).

The Conservatives at 60% in the Dudley seats but Bassetlaw neck and neck ?
    It's useless in individual seats.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    viewcode said:

Brom said:

Thanks to an arrogant prick, apparently it's a majority of 30 for Con and the Libs in the toilet.
    Both cannot be true.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Brom said:

Looks like LAB nailed on. Are you still relaxed about your 1.40 CON maj? (2/5 for non betting posters)

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    saddened said:

houndtang said:

Probably true, if they mean "if you pay cash USD and aren't fussy about the qualifications of the radiographer or safety of the equipment."
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Byronic said:

I need heroin.

I'm just a bit bemused at the way some people seem to think Corbyn is storming to victory, when his ratings are in the toilet.
    I don't think anyone thinks he is storming to victory. It's just whether the Tories can trip enough enough for him to cobble together a majority. I don't think he can, but if headline predictions are in the 10-30 majority range, that looks doable for him if he outperforms the polls even a little.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The Conservative lead will be at least ten points, and I would be very surprised if the majority is less than 80. (I reckon the Conservatives will beat 1987, but fall short of 1983.)

The Labour Party will find itself with a seat total very similar to the Conservatives in 1997. While they'll hold up well in dense city centres and university seats, they'll do poorly in their traditional heartlands. Lots of smaller Leave-leaning towns are going to go Blue.

The LibDems are going to regret "Bollocks to Brexit", and personalising the campaign around Jo Swinson. She may even lose her seat. That being said, in pure vote terms, the LDs will do significantly better than in '15 or '17. With 50+% more votes than last time, and it would be surprising if they were to actually fall backwards in number of seats.

The SNP benefits in 2019 from Lab-to-SNP switchers, and Unionist tactical voting unwinding thanks to Brexit... but this is probably a one-off. With Brexit behind us, Unionist tactical voting will return in 2024.

Save this post.

Where does all this confidence come from though?

The California Sun?!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Tory overall maj at 1.39 is back where it was before the Survation outlier on Sunday

The fundamentals haven't changed. If the Tories hold the 317 seats they captured last time then they only need nine gains for an overall majority.

If the actual Conservative lead in vote share is only 3.5-4% then that should be enough to do the job. Every poll of the campaign has had a lead of at least 6% and the average is more like 10%.

Unless there has been a massive polling failure, then a Hung Parliament would therefore seem to require some combination of the following to be true:

1. Spectacular collapse in Tory polling lead in the final surveys due tomorrow
    2. Hugely efficient LD vote picking off a string of Tory Southern Remain seats whilst simultaneously losing deposits almost everywhere else
    3. In the event of a tight finish elsewhere, a Tory implosion in Scotland

For 1. we'll have to wait and see; there have been a couple of polls with Labour on 35/36% recently, but others still had them in the low 30s. No consistent and dramatic narrowing yet evident

There's evidence from the MRP and some constituency polls of isolated strong performances by the LDs, though even amongst the constituency surveys results have been decidedly mixed. The three sets of London numbers from Deltapoll yesterday were uniformly discouraging to the yellows. So not much evidence of point 2., either

The mood music from Scotland, the MRP and the Scotland-only polls are all reasonably encouraging for the Tories. They might hold their current numbers, they might go down to about eight, but a wipeout seems improbable based on available evidence

In short, if the MRP comes out with a number something like Con Maj 30 then I'd be inclined to believe it, and it would certainly seem unlikely that a margin that large would be wiped out in 48 hours.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Ave_it said:

speedy2 said:

Bolsover Tory Gain
    Bolsover Skinner maj 1,000. But CON gain Derby N, Ashfield and just maybe Derby S???

It’s not designed to be a representation of reality it is to power this groups view of who you should tactically vote for to beat the tories, these sites have been a scourge on this election campaign.
  • Options
  • Options
    The Johnson phone gate clip has now topped 11 million views .

That’s pretty amazing even allowing for the repeat views .
  • Options
    Independent in East Devon to go backwards from 2017 it predicts, a shame.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Save this post.

Best poster ever

Does this mean I am immune from banning?!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    nichomar said:

Ave_it said:

speedy2 said:

Bolsover Tory Gain

It’s not designed to be a representation of reality it is to power this groups view of who you should tactically vote for to beat the tories, these sites have been a scourge on this election campaign.
    I tend to agree, the Focaldata MRP based on it's results by constituency does not look credible.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited December 2019
    Art history news (I'm obviously linking to this because I'm worried).

https://twitter.com/arthistorynews/status/1204464116355805192?s=20
  • Options
    I've been moderated for pointing out that anyone who votes for Corbyn, or helps a Labour MP with a tactical vote, is enabling the elevation of a quasi-Islamist, Britain-loathing, Jew-hating prime minister, with all that means for the soul of the nation.

And these people need to morally own their awful decision, and the terrible consequences. Remainerism is a passing affair, anti-Semitism and crypto-Marxism are continuing evils that hurt millions, and will hurt again.

I'm sorry if this offends. But it is simply the truth
  • Options

kle4 said:

Which MRP is that from?
    FocalData
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Save this post.

That is my view, more or less. Bollocks to Brexit and gender self I/D are unpopular positions with the voters.
  • Options
    Those who deliberately violate a poll embargo deserve to be violated by a bunch of horny honey badgers.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Byronic said:

I need heroin.

I think the concern Byronic has is that Boris’s are also starting to circle the urinal in the same gents.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    IanB2 said:

It doesn’t sound like MRP will make pleasant reading for the LDs.

Money on Swinson being next leader to quit? Corbyn might avoid going immediately (perhaps a pledge to quit before next conference?) whereas if it’s a poor LD night Swinson could go quickly.

I’m not saying incredibly likely. I think she’ll probably on balance get another chance given she’s only just taken the job, but there might be value there?

Swinson is brand new and will be given time to grow into the job. The mistakes are strategic - getting carried away after the Euros and planning a campaign expecting to be about to sweep the country. Adopting a revoke policy that wouldn’t attract a single extra voter but would repel many soft remainers. Appointing the same guy to manage the campaign that made such a shambles of 2017. Making idiots of themselves by abusing OGH’s permission to use his reputation to send absurd voter letters to no-hope constituencies up and down the land. Claiming to be focused on denying Bozo his majority yet even today directing activists toward seats where we are up against Labour remainers. Etc.
    I agree with all of that apart from the first sentence. If Swinson loses her seat she certainly won’t be given time; she may not anyway.

In retrospect the error was possibly electing a wannabe PM with government experience, when what the Lib Dems needed was a punchy insurgent. Ed Davey is the least likely insurgent in history... which is why it should have been Layla Moran. And yes, pun intentional.

It’s remarkable that Moran’s seat, previously the most marginal of all, is now generally accepted to be a safe seat while Swinson’s is on a knife edge. (Some of the blame for that is on the local Conservative association who selected an absolute disaster of a candidate; all the more remarkable in that they turned down the one Conservative politician in the whole of Oxfordshire who I think could have given Layla a run for her money.)
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    houndtang said:

IanB2 said:

houndtang said:

x-rays they already have in the drawer before you turn up don’t count.
    I had a filling re-done last week and the (private) dentists did four x-rays in three minutes and had them all up on screen thirty seconds later. My 3yo subluxated his elbow two months ago and (after an admittedly long A&E wait post-triage) he had an NHS x-ray done and viewed so quickly I forgot to ask for a copy for his bedroom wall. Doc, happy there was no fracture, popped it back in there and then.
This discussion has been closed.