Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB/Polling Matters podcast: Reflecting on the longest w

Comments

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    matt said:

bunnco said:

My wife has just come off the phone to her sister, a partner in a US-based firm in the City.

First round of redundancies starts on Monday 'as a direct result of brexit'. As she says, the 'smart' Lawyers who voted Leave on the basis of reducing immigration will certainly get their wishes - they'll be doing their own cleaning whilst looking for other jobs.

Meanwhile, the French, who had been holding-up the top-end residential market in London are pulling out of housing transactions all over the leafy suburbs.

It's started. Project Reality.

There are no planned redundancies at the Silver Circle law firm I'm at, as far as I'm aware. I'm confused why a US operation would act before it knew what the medium term was going to look like.
    Are you a partner (or more accurately, a member)? If not, I doubt you'd know. FWIW, I doubt that there will be plans as yet, but hiring will become more challenging and there will be questions over retention rates for the August qualifiers. Law firms still tend to avoid formal redundancies anyway and lean towards managing people out.
    If rendundancies started on Monday, we'd know. There'd have to be a process.

I have seen the statement of the senior partner who believes this firm will do well. It is not the statement of a man about to manage redundancies.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

Jonathan said:

When the next leader fails, it will be Boris' turn. Smart move potentially.

No, he's toast. That's the end of his political career.
    Yes, I don't see how he comes back from this to get another run at being leader. Even if he lands a big job in May's cabinet and dumps Minister for Brexit on Gove, by the time May retires or is beaten he'll be too old and the new intake will have their people in the running.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Jonathan said:

I'm not sure I agree. I think he's done the right thing by stepping aside but he's such a flamboyant character and was such a big player in the Brexit campaign, that I can't see him fading into obscurity.

Do you think he'll be offered a cabinet job by May or Gove?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,281

JonathanD said:

TOPPING said:

Theme from Gove camp (he himself the other day, and now Raab):

"I won't point fingers at other people"

= it was all my colleagues' fault; they are useless bastards.

Not IMO a great personality trait.

Like Boris, Gove has promised:
    * £350 million a week more spending on the NHS.
    * Tax cuts
    * No tax rises
    * No public spending cuts
    * All current EU grants and subsidies maintained
    * A selection of beneficial trade agreements
    * Major reductions in immigration
    * Ongoing, full access to the single market
    Like Boris, he will not be able to deliver.
    St Michael's crucifixion on the cross of broken promises will be longer, more painful and elaborately exquisite, than bluffer Boris's 'gosh, cripes, did I say that? No I didn't!'
    Gove also has his lack of belief in experts quote to deal with. I can't believe he seriously thinks he could face the electorate and win a majority.
    He’s “not liked” in Education, is he.
    That need not be held against him, Mr. Cole. Everyone who actually tries to get the Education System to deliver for the pupils and students is "not liked" by the education establishment. I think that has been true since 1874.
    It was they way he did it, and the brutal legacy he’s left, I think, which more of his problem.
    However, when I was an employer in a small business in the 60’s & 70’s my drinking friends used to complain bitterly about the quality of school leavers.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,135
    edited June 2016
    Is there polling on a May/Gove match up? Looked at the YouGov tables but couldn't see it...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,053

I FUCKING TOLD YOU TO KEEP ON LAYING BORIS AND THAT HE WOULDN'T MAKE THE FINAL TWO

You've got every right to capitalise, use profanity and blow your trumpet to the rafters.

Poor old Boris. Like Heseltine, Portillo, Ken Clarke, David Miliband, and Chukka (who withdrew but would have lost)-a long list of the leaders that never were- all undoubtedly the most credible, charismatic and electoral appealing characters that never got the prize.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHA !!!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,313
    Fenster said:

Jonathan said:

I'm not sure I agree. I think he's done the right thing by stepping aside but he's such a flamboyant character and was such a big player in the Brexit campaign, that I can't see him fading into obscurity.

Minister of Trade with his own Union Jack jumbo to gad around the planet with a whole bunch of CEO's?
  • Options
    mr-claypolemr-claypole Posts: 217
    Forces of Cameroon now turn heavy shelling towards Govia,

May now a shoe in
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    http://glumcouncillors.tumblr.com

Funny blog. Can u spot ur local elected glum looking cllr?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:

Boris has torched the entire World.

For nothing.

LOL - Really?

stop re-posting tweets and get out and take a look at the world.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Fenster said:

No.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,079
    George Eaton

Boris destroyed the dream he had (leadership) in pursuit of the one he didn't (Brexit).
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    RobD said:

Is there polling on a May/Gove match up? Looked at the YouGov tables but couldn't see it...

No.

And until one is published, the value is likely to remain on Gove.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Boris.

The man who jeopardised three million jobs to get one.

And failed.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,951
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, I don't see how he comes back from this to get another run at being leader. Even if he lands a big job in May's cabinet and dumps Minister for Brexit on Gove, by the time May retires or is beaten he'll be too old and the new intake will have their people in the running.
    He has never had a run at being leader. If the next leader fails (which is not impossible in the rocky seas ahead), commeth the hour commeth the Boris to save the Tory party.

In the meantime, he's write a book.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Presumably nominations closed at midday, XII o'clock.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,053
    edited June 2016

I FUCKING TOLD YOU TO KEEP ON LAYING BORIS AND THAT HE WOULDN'T MAKE THE FINAL TWO

So are you back with the Tory party again?
    Never left. I was hoping to be a bastard inside the tent pissing in
    I said you'd never leave. Your like me post Corbyn. Politics is not for cry babies who spit out their dummies.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Boris Johnson is Michael Heseltine mark II

Must be the hair.
    Keep an eye on that Fabricant
    You don't like my wig, I have others :)
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Correct, and we have to wait til Tuesday for the first vote! :(
  • Options

Fenster said:

No.
    Never back a known loser.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,327
    BJWNBPM
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,781
    edited June 2016
    Big thanks to gadfly for being the first here this morning to suggest Boris might not run.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,650

Jonathan said:

But his 10 years as permanent presenter of Have I Got News For You will win a TV Industry Award in 2027
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

Fenster said:

No.
    I think May will want him in the tent. She may even offer him something to get reluctant leavers on board given that she'll be running against the purity of Gove's version of Brexit.
  • Options
    So is it:

May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Gove
    Fox

Any others?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Ages ago, I said Boris was best for Party Chairman - I still think that. I'd like to see him involved in Team Brexit as an ambassador.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,817

May now a shoe in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govia
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    surbiton said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus H. Christ. What a way to respond to the Chakrabarti report:

@MarcusDysch: Corbyn: "'Zio' is a vile epithet. Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for actions of Israel than Muslims are for Islamic State."

Why is anyone surprised? Corbyn has been Chair of Stop the War which was against fighting IS but did want war on Israel (though they tried deleting those bits of their website saying so). In such people's minds there is no moral difference between Israel and IS. Corbyn and his ilk simply do not understand why the relationship between being Jewish and Israel is very different to that between being Muslim and IS. Hence his crassness. He is, of course, right that one should not hold Muslims as a group responsible for the actions of IS. He is far less clear about holding the ideology behind IS responsible for IS.
    Please elaborate what is the difference ?

Israel is important to what it means to be Jewish. One key Jewish prayer is about "Next year in Jerusalem."

IS is not important to what it means to be Muslim, however much IS would like it to be so. Most Muslims will tell you that IS is a perversion of and a total misunderstanding of Islam.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,724
    Fenster said:

Jonathan said:

Boris's future remains interesting. Perhaps he has just escaped becoming the most unpopular politician in the country. He still deserves "Minister for Brexit" but I can't see May appointing him to anything much, after her comments. For sure, chuntering on the backbenches isn't going to keep him happy, and he wont like being offered anything that doesn't look like a top job. So what does he do?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,650
    Fenster said:

So is it:

May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Gove
    Fox

Any others?

Falconer
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Gove seems to fancy himself as some modern-day Francis Urquhart. That's quite some setup he pulled on Johnson.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Crabb, Fox, Gove Leadsom, May to run.
  • Options
    Scandal incoming surely?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Fenster said:

Jonathan said:

Like Portillo he will resign and become a TV celeb visiting the battlefields of Greece and Persia quoting Homer and Socrates..

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,281

Fenster said:

So is it:

May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Gove
    Fox

Any others?

Falconer
    Baron?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    Let's get back on tracker and focus on the most important political development.

Has Charlie Falconer resigned yet?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    To expand on what I said, this moment was the ideal one for Boris. For better or worse, he seized the political initiative in the run-up to the referendum. It was a big bet which, after an initial wobble, he won. That put him into pole position in terms of being the guy who had seized the ball as it emerged from the scrum*, but it didn't alter the fact that that as a candidate for high office he has very serious drawbacks. Those drawbacks won't go away, but the unique opportunity has.

* Apologies for the mixed metaphor. I'm not very good on sports!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,020

Jonathan said:

I did wonder after his conspicuous absence from the HoC when Cameron made his statement on the referendum - maybe he just concluded that he didn't want it badly enough.

Mrs May, on the other hand has been wading through effluent for six years, doing a lot of other people's dirty work and not much minding.....anyone who can take on the Police Federation in their own den can give the EU a decent run for their money, albeit with a much poorer hand than the LEAVErs would have you believe.....
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

George Eaton

Boris destroyed the dream he had (leadership) in pursuit of the one he didn't (Brexit).

Boris could potentially rival Corbyn for the biggest idiot in British politics.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Scandal incoming surely?

There was something in the air from Scotland.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    Fenster said:

So is it:

May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Gove
    Fox

Any others?

Jezuss, we're fu*ked!!
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    edited June 2016
    surbiton said:

Scandal incoming surely?

There was something in the air from Scotland.
    Ah hem. Something that could only be reported in Scotland
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Gove seems to fancy himself as some modern-day Francis Urquhart. That's quite some setup he pulled on Johnson.

Who? The PB poster?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,835
    Just been out for lunch...anything interesting happen...innocent face.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    El
    Oh
    El
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    "Here is a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play. But this box can hide a secret inside. Can you guess what is in it today ?"
  • Options
    Gove drifting now. Will he actually stand now he has taken out Boris?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,385
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

He has never had a run at being leader. If the next leader fails (which is not impossible in the rocky seas ahead), commeth the hour commeth the Boris to save the Tory party.

I think that's right. I see a stellar career for him as a sparkling, funny, incisive media pundit and author. I doubt if he'll even stand again for Parliament - too much like hard work.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

surbiton said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus H. Christ. What a way to respond to the Chakrabarti report:

@MarcusDysch: Corbyn: "'Zio' is a vile epithet. Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for actions of Israel than Muslims are for Islamic State."

Why is anyone surprised? Corbyn has been Chair of Stop the War which was against fighting IS but did want war on Israel (though they tried deleting those bits of their website saying so). In such people's minds there is no moral difference between Israel and IS. Corbyn and his ilk simply do not understand why the relationship between being Jewish and Israel is very different to that between being Muslim and IS. Hence his crassness. He is, of course, right that one should not hold Muslims as a group responsible for the actions of IS. He is far less clear about holding the ideology behind IS responsible for IS.
    Please elaborate what is the difference ?

Israel is important to what it means to be Jewish. One key Jewish prayer is about "Next year in Jerusalem."

IS is not important to what it means to be Muslim, however much IS would like it to be so. Most Muslims will tell you that IS is a perversion of and a total misunderstanding of Islam.

Ok. Fair enough.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,020
    Meanwhile in the race for 'biggest clusterf*ck':

Jeremy Duns: A Labour member has accused a Jewish MP of being part of a right-wing media plot *at the launch of their antisemitism enquiry*.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    nunu said:

Andrew said:

Who? The PB poster?
    House of Cards reference
  • Options

"Here is a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play. But this box can hide a secret inside. Can you guess what is in it today ?"

I loved that.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,354
    Boris has smashed and broken up the nation and then walked away leaving someone else to clean up the mess.

Bit like a Bullingdon night out.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 3 mins3 minutes ago

Murdoch...Dacre...Gove friend of both...Boris's private life...wonder if there might be ...dots to be joined?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061

lively match up

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch · 2m2 minutes ago

Nadine Dorries of I'm a Celebrity shrill shrieks about her colleagues are another blow to Boris she's exactly what Tories don't need

She should go to UKIP and let Carswell back into the fold
    v good shout
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,278
    Boris out - WOOOOOHHHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

To everyone else who's been laying Osborne and Johnson since May last year, congratulations too!
  • Options

May now a shoe in

She could win on the first ballot.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Fenster said:

So is it:

May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Gove
    Fox

Any others?

Jezuss, we're fu*ked!!
    Eh? That's every part of the Tory party right there.

Approximately:

Crabb - May - Gove - Leadsom - Fox
  • Options
    stjohn said:

May coronation?
  • Options
    As per the BBC. Gove said he said he was standing because he had come "to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead".

Now Boris is out does Gove have a reason to stand?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

May now a shoe in

She could win on the first ballot.
    If it is contested, there is no way to avoid the vote of the party surely?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

I'd be surprised. He'd have to keep his head down, stay loyal, and be seen to work as part of the new Tory team to earn enough brownie points to be able to run again, if such an opportunity arises. Boris is the least temperamentally able person on the planet to do that; he is driven most of all by being the centre of attention.

And it could be a long shot anyway - if Brexit doesn't work out well it will probably tarnish the whole Tory brand, not just the incoming PM.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Fenster said:

So is it:

May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Gove
    Fox

Any others?

Jezuss, we're fu*ked!!
    Yep, pales into comparison compared to what the Labour party are offering:

Eagle
    Corbyn

Tidy!
  • Options

Shurely, xii o'clock.
  • Options
    Brandon Lewis - One to Watch
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Let's get back on tracker and focus on the most important political development.

Has Charlie Falconer resigned yet?

Quite right. New thread?
  • Options

Murdoch...Dacre...Gove friend of both...Boris's private life...wonder if there might be ...dots to be joined?

I honestly can't imagine anybody honestly been shocked about Bonking Boris' private life. It isn't even an open secret, everybody knows.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

So is it:

May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Gove
    Fox

Any others?

What is Fox doing there ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,385
    If nominations have now closed, then Crabb is not a candidate, right? If so, anyone with £1000 to spare can mop up at 3% interest in two months laying him on Betfair. DYOR though.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Boris has smashed and broken up the nation and then walked away leaving someone else to clean up the mess.

Bit like a Bullingdon night out.

Nah, Bullingdon boys always paid for the damage and left a large tip waitress.
  • Options

Getting warmer
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,327

Surely the press wouldn't sit on a scandal about a politician? I mean, that wouldn't be acceptable, would it?
  • Options

If nominations have now closed, then Crabb is not a candidate, right? If so, anyone with £1000 to spare can mop up at 3% interest in two months laying him on Betfair. DYOR though.

Surely after making that speech he put in his nom papers? :o
  • Options
    stjohn said:

stjohn said:

Interesting this. If Gove pulls out, and he might - I don't think he fancies being leader - will the Boris and Gove juggernaut get behind Leadsom?

A Tory woman versus Tory woman would do wonders for the party image.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    murali_s said:

Fenster said:

So is it:

May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Gove
    Fox

Any others?

Jezuss, we're fu*ked!!
    there's some strong candidates there. better than labour, snp and lib dems combined could muster. tho i take your point about Crabb!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,951
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

I'd be surprised. He'd have to keep his head down, stay loyal, and be seen to work as part of the new Tory team to earn enough brownie points to be able to run again, if such an opportunity arises. Boris is the least temperamentally able person on the planet to do that. And it could be a long shot anyway - if Brexit doesn't work out well it will probably tarnish the whole Tory brand, not just the incoming PM.
    It could get very nasty for the new government. There will be a moment where people look for a game changer.

Clearly, it depends heavily on what he does and the context of the failure, but Boris could easily be seen as such a game changer.

Either way it seems a touch early to write him off.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Unless the others all withdraw. That's not likely, however.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

I think that's right. I see a stellar career for him as a sparkling, funny, incisive media pundit and author. I doubt if he'll even stand again for Parliament - too much like hard work.
    Boris as Tory chairman -- the Jeffrey Archer de nos jours?
  • Options
    Just realised, The Sun have finally backed a loser. Boris – the man who changes history.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    Damnit - I've been busy this morning as it is our year end today. Managed to get 100 quid on Gove but only after he announced, and despite mentioning it here didn't lay Boris.

Gah! Betting fail.
  • Options

RobD said:

Unless the others all withdraw. That's not likely, however.
    Yeah, I don't think that's likely either. There are just too many of them now.
  • Options

BBC says 5 nominations. Crabb, Fox, Gove, Leadsom, May.
  • Options

Just been out for lunch...anything interesting happen...innocent face.

Give is modelling himself on you apparently.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The SUN backs a LOSER
  • Options
    Fenster said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

Interesting this. If Gove pulls out, and he might - I don't think he fancies being leader - will the Boris and Gove juggernaut get behind Leadsom?

A Tory woman versus Tory woman would do wonders for the party image.
    Nadine v. Anna???
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The SUN backs a LOSER

He didn't stand for election! So NOT a Loser :)

(Bit like IDS not losing a GE :) )
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Entirely possible. It is a tribute to Labour that they did not exploit Boris's colourful private life. Or a condemnation of their naivety: one of the two.
  • Options
    The Tories remind us that Labour has nothing on them when it comes to ruthlessness.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    You have to say it's BRILLIANT what Gove has done here... I mean irrespective of what you think about the case for or against leaving the EU, the sheer evilness of this plot to use Boris for LEAVE and then knife him at the end... WOW!
  • Options

Entirely possible. It is a tribute to Labour that they did not exploit Boris's colourful private life. Or a condemnation of their naivety: one of the two.
    Well when he stood against Ken they could hardly go back on that could they?
  • Options
    Boris backers in tears. Oh dear, what a shame
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Updates on Guardian-Live have dried up – I think Andrew Sparrow has been left speechless..!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    stjohn said:

BBC says 5 nominations. Crabb, Fox, Gove, Leadsom, May.
    That's good. I imagine we'll get this down to the final two after the first vote on Tuesday?
  • Options
    My local MP was a prominent Boris backer.

ROFLMAO
  • Options
    Just thinking about the tactics of the various contenders - MPs are a very sophisticated electorate, and will tactically back some candidates to knock out others.

We need to have a look at this stuff - rather than run off with the simplistic headline numbers.
  • Options
    Boris now 8/1 to ever be Prime Minister (WH). I don't think that's a value bet.
  • Options
    If Leadsom survives after Round 2, she could make it. She has not said anything contradictory as far as I can remember.
  • Options
    Boris "100 MPs" Johnson.... :p
This discussion has been closed.