Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB/Polling Matters podcast: Reflecting on the longest w

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,312

MontyHall said:

stjohn said:

Boris 5.5-5.7

The person making a speech shortens in the betting... Its becoming a pattern!
    He deserves to shorten because he's making the speech at all. The 6.4 included a fair chance that he was chucking it in right now.
    Is he running ?!

No audio, no link to the speech ><
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,957
    RobD said:

I suspect last Monday's telegraph column by Boris will be as famous as that Sion Simon article, that is seldom linked to on PM.

I didn't actually read the article, what was so bad about it? I thought he was supposed to be a good opinion writer...
    Kinda implied he was fine with free movement of people
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    Boris throws in the towel
    Wow
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Boris bottles it
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    bunnco said:

Wow

:o:o:o
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,793
    He's out!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422
    No he’s not running
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    bunnco said:

Boasting about London isn't helping Boris in this speech.
    He needs to get on the ballot.
    The way he treated the Greater London Tory MPs like dirt when he was Mayor did nothing to make him popular amongst that part of the ToryMP electorate he needs to attract to get to number one or two with the selectorate.

He's doing a Sturgeon from the Remain debate - wrong content for the wrong campaign.
  • Options
    Damn the 1 minute delay on iPlayer...
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016
    No Boris for PM.
    :astonished:
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    Boris gone - sensational
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Cyclefree said:

Jesus H. Christ. What a way to respond to the Chakrabarti report:

@MarcusDysch: Corbyn: "'Zio' is a vile epithet. Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for actions of Israel than Muslims are for Islamic State."

Why is anyone surprised? Corbyn has been Chair of Stop the War which was against fighting IS but did want war on Israel (though they tried deleting those bits of their website saying so). In such people's minds there is no moral difference between Israel and IS. Corbyn and his ilk simply do not understand why the relationship between being Jewish and Israel is very different to that between being Muslim and IS. Hence his crassness. He is, of course, right that one should not hold Muslims as a group responsible for the actions of IS. He is far less clear about holding the ideology behind IS responsible for IS.
    Please elaborate what is the difference ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,194
    bunnco said:

Wow

Another one hoist by his own....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,312
    Fer fucks sake Boris
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,063
    bye boris

hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    Boris 1000 on Betfair
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    If only he'd pulled out on other occasions.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,077
    If he backs Crabb I will shit my pants
  • Options
    As predicted...

:)
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM

Politics...bloody hell.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    Boris plays the long game. Probably a wise move.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I suspect last Monday's telegraph column by Boris will be as famous as that Sion Simon article, that is seldom linked to on PM.

I didn't actually read the article, what was so bad about it? I thought he was supposed to be a good opinion writer...
    It was rather too equivocal.

BORIS ISN'T STANDING
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,171

Cyclefree said:

Jesus H. Christ. What a way to respond to the Chakrabarti report:

@MarcusDysch: Corbyn: "'Zio' is a vile epithet. Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for actions of Israel than Muslims are for Islamic State."

Why is anyone surprised? Corbyn has been Chair of Stop the War which was against fighting IS but did want war on Israel (though they tried deleting those bits of their website saying so). In such people's minds there is no moral difference between Israel and IS. Corbyn and his ilk simply do not understand why the relationship between being Jewish and Israel is very different to that between being Muslim and IS. Hence his crassness. He is, of course, right that one should not hold Muslims as a group responsible for the actions of IS. He is far less clear about holding the ideology behind IS responsible for IS.
    Tom Harris: "To be fair, Corbyn does see a difference between Israel and isis. He doesn’t think bombing Isis is justified."
    Does he think bombing Israel is justified?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Boris gone - sensational

Serves him right. Too clever by half. So, the last true REMAINer is gone.
  • Options
    seriously though...

what about mad nad?
  • Options
    Madness!!!!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    So who does he back?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,165
    Boris pulls out!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    I feel like I'm an extra in a British remake of The Illiad.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

murali_s said:
    Writing dates with the month expressed as a roman numeral was very common in the civil service when I was with them. I have also noted it amongst senior medical practitioners and some senior army bods. You probably think them all tw*ts as well.

I don't know where the habit comes from, is it an Oxford thing does anyone know?
    I learned it at Cambridge so at least two outposts of civilization have continued to use it in living memory :)

But it's older and more widespread than that, from a comment thread elsewhere on the web:

what about the system which uses Roman numerals for the month?
    today is 20 IV ’12. I have seen this on many paintings/drawings in museums, and here’s a passage from the Roman numeral entry in wikipedia, “In Central Europe, Italy, Russia, and in Bulgarian, Croatian, Portuguese, Romanian, and Serbian languages, mixed Roman and Arabic numerals are used to record dates (usually on tombstones, but also elsewhere, such as in formal letters and official documents). The month is written in Roman numerals while the day is in Arabic numerals: 14.  VI. 1789 is 14 June 1789.”

https://britishisms.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/european-date-format/

Sometimes seen with dots and sometimes with a slash:

http://history.stackexchange.com/questions/5655/writing-month-with-roman-numbers

I recall a thread somewhere on the web explaining the preferred ways they'd seen it done at Cambridge but can't find it now.
    Thank you for that, Mr. Ears. I am obliged.
  • Options
    Very very good for the Tories. Boris would not have made a good PM.
  • Options
    KACHING!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

JonathanD said:

TOPPING said:

Theme from Gove camp (he himself the other day, and now Raab):

"I won't point fingers at other people"

= it was all my colleagues' fault; they are useless bastards.

Not IMO a great personality trait.

Like Boris, Gove has promised:
    * £350 million a week more spending on the NHS.
    * Tax cuts
    * No tax rises
    * No public spending cuts
    * All current EU grants and subsidies maintained
    * A selection of beneficial trade agreements
    * Major reductions in immigration
    * Ongoing, full access to the single market
    Like Boris, he will not be able to deliver.
    St Michael's crucifixion on the cross of broken promises will be longer, more painful and elaborately exquisite, than bluffer Boris's 'gosh, cripes, did I say that? No I didn't!'
    Gove also has his lack of belief in experts quote to deal with. I can't believe he seriously thinks he could face the electorate and win a majority.
    He’s “not liked” in Education, is he.
    He caused teachers to up their game, so disliked by teachers but liked by parents.
    Except his flagship Free Schools and Academies plans is disliked by the public.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I hope Boris backs Gove, he's the credible one of the two with serious cabinet experience. Boris should get cabinet experience and stand next time.
  • Options
    Boris has torched the entire World.

For nothing.
  • Options
    No need for a "Scottish Announcement" now. Or one that only Guido has the balls to print.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    MTimT said:

Scott_P said:
    Writing the date that way is very sensible if you deal with Americans - it avoids any confusion as to which is the month and which is the day. If you do it often enough, it become habit. When I joined the FCO, that was the way we were encouraged to do it. The only issue, then, is the lower case i in a Roman numeral.
    Re upper or lower case and also separators (I use lower and separated by dots), Wikipedia claims in its calendar date article that

/xi/14, 9.xi.14, 9-xi.14, or 9.XI.2014 (using the Roman numeral for the month) – This is usually confined to handwriting only and is not put into any form of print. It is associated with a number of schools and universities. It has also been used by the Vatican as an alternative to using months named after Roman deities. It is used on Canadian postmarks as a bilingual form of the month.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    Political journalist flabbergasted - politics - Wow
  • Options

I hope Boris backs Gove, he's the credible one of the two with serious cabinet experience. Boris should get cabinet experience and stand next time.

No way, he backs May and gets a big job in return.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Somewhere in Downing St, two men are having a welcome glass of Champagne.
  • Options
    Boris. We have an opening for a charismatic Leader in the Labour Party. Interested....?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    bunnco said:

My wife has just come off the phone to her sister, a partner in a US-based firm in the City.

First round of redundancies starts on Monday 'as a direct result of brexit'. As she says, the 'smart' Lawyers who voted Leave on the basis of reducing immigration will certainly get their wishes - they'll be doing their own cleaning whilst looking for other jobs.

Meanwhile, the French, who had been holding-up the top-end residential market in London are pulling out of housing transactions all over the leafy suburbs.

It's started. Project Reality.

I hope you mean Leavers and not Lawyers. The more international end of the legal market was for in. High-street lawyers perhaps less so.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,523
    Scott_P said:

For nothing.

We'd have won without him.
  • Options
    I FUCKING TOLD YOU TO KEEP ON LAYING BORIS AND THAT HE WOULDN'T MAKE THE FINAL TWO
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,165
    I managed to lay him this morning; there's a result!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,683
    Without Boris, I'm sure there would have been no Brexit. Farage on the scenes 24/7 would have killed it, especially with him being the face of Leave after Jo Cox and that poster.

Boris, we thank you for your service to the cause. But when it came down to it, you were just too damned conflicted about leaving the EU.

• Options

I FUCKING TOLD YOU TO KEEP ON LAYING BORIS AND THAT HE WOULDN'T MAKE THE FINAL TWO

smug mode? :p
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Alistair said:

JonathanD said:

TOPPING said:

* Tax cuts
    * No tax rises
    St Michael's crucifixion on the cross of broken promises will be longer, more painful and elaborately exquisite, than bluffer Boris's 'gosh, cripes, did I say that? No I didn't!'
    Gove also has his lack of belief in experts quote to deal with. I can't believe he seriously thinks he could face the electorate and win a majority.
    He caused teachers to up their game, so disliked by teachers but liked by parents.
    Except his flagship Free Schools and Academies plans is disliked by the public.
    Don't think he got moved because he was popular with parents..
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

For nothing.

We'd have won without him.
    not a chance...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

For nothing.

Oh I dunno - we might end up with a better CotE.
  • Options

yes yes, calm down dear!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128

Or two :)
  • Options
    I read earlier that Gove told Boris two hours before he announced - Boris didn't tell his own team about it.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I read earlier that Gove told Boris two hours before he announced - Boris didn't tell his own team about it.

Apparently it was only five minutes!
  • Options

Yes, that advice you gave last year was golden, once the market is settled I'll be going on an even bigger holiday!
  • Options

Yeah right... Gove has just destroyed him! :smiley:
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Wow.....WTF?

So, it'll be May, Gove and Leadsom then.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,082
    edited June 2016

//twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/748448433745330176

Keep forgetting to ask, buy who's the bloke in your Twitter avatar?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

JonathanD said:

TOPPING said:

* Tax cuts
    * No tax rises
    That need not be held against him, Mr. Cole. Everyone who actually tries to get the Education System to deliver for the pupils and students is "not liked" by the education establishment. I think that has been true since 1874.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Boris Johnson is Michael Heseltine mark II
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,171
    Would it be dignified for a man who wishes to be King Emperor to submit himself to a leadership race? Shouldn't he just be coronated?
  • Options
    Now where's those Andrea Leadsom 90/1 bet slips
  • Options

Without Boris, I'm sure there would have been no Brexit. Farage on the scenes 24/7 would have killed it, especially with him being the face of Leave after Jo Cox and that poster.

Boris, we thank you for your service to the cause. But when it came down to it, you were just too damned conflicted about leaving the EU.

Well said, Sir.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    As previously stated, Osborne and Boris will never be Tory leader.
  • Options
    May V Gove. The Grudge match is on.
  • Options
    matt said:

bunnco said:

My wife has just come off the phone to her sister, a partner in a US-based firm in the City.

First round of redundancies starts on Monday 'as a direct result of brexit'. As she says, the 'smart' Lawyers who voted Leave on the basis of reducing immigration will certainly get their wishes - they'll be doing their own cleaning whilst looking for other jobs.

Meanwhile, the French, who had been holding-up the top-end residential market in London are pulling out of housing transactions all over the leafy suburbs.

I hope you mean Leavers and not Lawyers. The more international end of the legal market was for in. High-street lawyers perhaps less so.
    No, there were a handful of "smart" lawyers who voted out. Perhaps they thought their votes wouldn't count. They will now.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,793
    I'm now on Leadsom at 12.61.
  • Options
    For the first time in his life, Boris pulls out before it causes real problems.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    IanB2 said:

Boris pulls out!

Of whom.....?

:lol:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    When the next leader fails, it will be Boris' turn. Smart move potentially.
  • Options

//twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/748448433745330176

Keep forgetting to ask, buy who's the bloke in your Twitter avatar?
    oooooh matron!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

The value right now, is on Gove.
  • Options
    Andrea, Andrea, Andrea...
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Apparently it was only five minutes!
    That's the difference - Gove told Boris, Boris didn't tell - hence the shock. Who knows!
  • Options
    #Borexit
  • Options
    Of the three remaining, I think Gove should become Leader.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_P said:

For nothing.

For sovereignty. He did the right thing without seeking to become PM. Well done Boris, we thank you.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    So Boris has resigned from the Shadow Cabinet yet?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    yes, I am here
    GIN1138 said:

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Jonathan said:

When the next leader fails, it will be Boris' turn. Smart move potentially.

No, he's toast. That's the end of his political career.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,511

As previously stated, Osborne and Boris will never be Tory leader.

By many of us. Take the chance to be smug before we get the next thing wrong.
  • Options
    mr-claypolemr-claypole Posts: 217
    What a truly terrible week for the Bullingdon club
  • Options

yes, I am here

GIN1138 said:

You should be made UK's PM!
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Must be the hair.
  • Options

So are you back with the Tory party again?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

bunnco said:

There are no planned redundancies at the Silver Circle law firm I'm at, as far as I'm aware. I'm confused why a US operation would act before it knew what the medium term was going to look like.
    Are you a partner (or more accurately, a member)? If not, I doubt you'd know. FWIW, I doubt that there will be plans as yet, but hiring will become more challenging and there will be questions over retention rates for the August qualifiers. Law firms still tend to avoid formal redundancies anyway and lean towards managing people out.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,679
    Pong said:

BBC analyst floating the possibility of a deal between May and Gove to avoid a full-blown election. Can't see it myself, but it does seem a bit odd to have an election where the two front-runners are someone who has accepted defeat in the referendum and someone who has said he never wants to be PM.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101

And laughing like drains.......best news in a few days!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    Gove = Francis Urquhart?*

*Off the TV, not our own poster.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Pong said:

BBC analyst floating the possibility of a deal between May and Gove to avoid a full-blown election. Can't see it myself, but it does seem a bit odd to have an election where the two front-runners are someone who has accepted defeat in the referendum and someone who has said he never wants to be PM.
    May PM by next week? I can dream... :D
  • Options

yes, I am here

GIN1138 said:

:smiley:
  • Options

Of the three remaining, I think Gove should become Leader.

john baron stalks the land still...
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

LMAO
  • Options
    In/Out/Yes/No/No/Yes/Flip/Flop
    Nobody will ever believe a word Michael Gove says
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited June 2016
    FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

How essential is it for city of London to have "passporting"? Any city experts please not mourning remainders.

There was an informed (apparently .... I’m not really qualified to judge) post yesterday which suggested that worries about the City’s position were unnecessary and overdone.
    @nunu - have a search for two posts by @Travelgall - she offered a great insight.
    Those posts were good. There will however be some negative effect - and it is no point ignoring it. It would be better to keep the passport. But it is certainly the case that Germany and France have significant disadvantages which are not necessarily eliminated by having the passport. See my posts on the previous thread this morning.

It would be better to keep it. But there are lots of variables to consider here.
    Posts towards the top of this thread

From my non-expert view, I thought he made valid points but I suspect he is missing the big issue about marketing. The UK's pole position comes from having a critical mass of skilled practitioners, a supportive regulatory regime AND being in the EU. The UK has been in the EU so long, and before the huge globalisation effects on finance, people haven't factored in the likely consequences of Britain leaving the EU. A lot of the business in London starts or ends in the EU who are used to the regime where they are. They won't necessarily want a foreign regime even if it appears to be superior in isolation . People are mobile and becoming more so. If it makes sense to move them businesses will. Add in the fact that a large cohort of those working in the City are French and you have a ready made work force for any operations in that country.

Responding to your earlier point about businesses moving out of London on cost grounds, regardless of Brexit, My take is that London commands a premium so companies will base operations there regardless of the cost. If that premium reduces or disappears on Brexit, London will have to start competing on price - lower salaries in other words.

So it isn't a straightforward Britain is out of the EU so we are out of Britain. But the trend is negative nevertheless.

Isn't it established economic theory that:

a) people gain utility by living in cities that are centres of excellence (see Economic Theory and The Cities, for example) and so are willing to pay a premium for that added utility
    b) first movers in a technology end up being centres of gravity for an industry (Ken Arrow's work on the economics of technological innovation)
  • Options

So are you back with the Tory party again?
    Never left. I was hoping to be a bastard inside the tent pissing in
  • Options

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!
  • Options

Must be the hair.
    Keep an eye on that Fabricant
  • Options

Why, what has David Dimbleby done?
This discussion has been closed.