Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB/Polling Matters podcast: Reflecting on the longest w

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB/Polling Matters podcast: Reflecting on the longest week in politics that just about anybody can remember

On this week’s PB/Polling Matters podcast Keiran Pedley and Leo Barasi try and make sense of what has happened in the past week – as news of Theresa May’s poll lead over Boris Johnson and Michael Gove’s decision to stand for Tory leader breaks all around them.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    Mark Wallace

Boris, connoisseur of Churchillian analogies, is now in danger of turning from Winston to Lord Randolph.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Michael Fabricant ✔ @Mike_Fabricant

I am transferring my support to Michael Gove for the leadership of the @Conservatives and Prime @Number10gov.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Ah, Cameron and Osborne in happier days. Poor them.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good morning, again, everyone.

Has anything happened since I've been out (around 9am)?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jameskirkup: This Liz Truss piece is now the funniest thing written this week so far. ("I'm backing Boris because Gove is") https://t.co/FFQL2qxuZm
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Gove is County McCountface: there, I said it.

Of course, were he to be elected Leader, he will have no more devoted follower than I. Behind him all the way. Yes, sireee.
  • Options
    @jimwaterson: Tory MP immediately deletes tweet from 10 hours ago talking about how she was proudly backing Boris leadership bid. https://t.co/s9R5pnsJnu
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Revenge3 is a dish best served as an amuse bouche!
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Gove is standing for leader
    Borish has been nuked and his supporters are drifting to Gove
    May made a marvellous speech
    Eagle is gonna stand against Corbyn
    The markets are steady
    Corbyn is going nowhere
  • Options
    Paul Flynn at the despatch box. Killing it
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,646
    About 14th.

Like Boris.
  • Options
    Mr. Fenster, just a normal morning in British politics, then?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Fenster said:

Gove is standing for leader
    Borish has been nuked and his supporters are drifting to Gove
    May made a marvellous speech
    Eagle is gonna stand against Corbyn
    The markets are steady
    Corbyn is going nowhere
    How did you miss the close of nominations for the Green party leadership? Are you not following politics or something? ;)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Will we get a competition for the order in which candidates are eliminated? Could be quite fun.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Theresa may be wishing she hadn't said no early election. If it's her versus Gove and there's the threat of an early election it would sharpen thoughts around electability which favors her. The danger for her now is the members getting complacent on electability and going gaga for Gove, the thinking man's brexiteer.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    The dark art of politics......Osborne and McDonnell...in the great tradition of Mandelson, all prime manipulators.

I always said here that Osborne would be more than happy with power without being the front man. Osborne has shown in a week just what a class act he is.

I don't know what McDonnell's long term game is.....surely he knows that Corbyn is finished if he wins.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Everything. Everything has happened. Again :). Honestly, I'm reluctant to walk the dogs, it's just bonkers to be British at the moment.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Looks to be a 4 horse race. May, Gove, Boris, Leadsom.

Crabb and Fox both out to 60.0.
  • Options
    I think there is a danger of us writing off Boris too early, but if he does go down, there is another big advantage. Right now the Remainers are so bitter they wish the whole UK to fail. Johnson's collapse will be cathartic for them, as he absorbs all their schadenfreude. We can then unite to make Brexit the best success we can.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Boris was shafted by Gove. Pure and simple.

He may not even be a candidate. He likes adulation. He is not getting it.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    PCP visiting its horrible revenge on Boris.

Brutal.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

@jameskirkup: This Liz Truss piece is now the funniest thing written this week so far. ("I'm backing Boris because Gove is") https://t.co/FFQL2qxuZm

Is Lizz Truss the Nutter Nick of this whole episode? I do hope so.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    @NadineDorriesMP

Wow! Looks like Mrs Gove is standing #Vinewearsthetrousers
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Scott_P said:

Paul Flynn at the despatch box. Killing it

LOL
  • Options

Yes

My analogy of Boris and the EURef being his Cannae and the Tory leadership race would be his Zama is looking spot on.

Well what would you expect from PB's foremost classicist.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    fpt @MaxPB saying Gove looks untrustworthy:

And rightly so. "Developments since Thursday."

Two points:

1) what developments?

2) if two out of the three Vote Leave campaign leaders can't even work out a plan for themselves, heaven help their plan for the country.
  • Options

Theresa may be wishing she hadn't said no early election. If it's her versus Gove and there's the threat of an early election it would sharpen thoughts around electability which favors her. The danger for her now is the members getting complacent on electability and going gaga for Gove, the thinking man's brexiteer.

I bow to no man in my admiration for Michael Gove. He's just not prime ministerial. That's my sober judgement.

My inner bitch says "Sarah Vine as First Lady. Eww. No."
  • Options
    From Faisal Islam, it makes me want to back Boris, he's clearly a Remainer

My sense is core vote leavers wanted some absolute assurances from Boris on EU exit strategy - that's some of what's behind Leadsom, gove
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    So, Boris has discovered just how brutal the establishment elite can be.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Mr. M, the first lady is Her Most Britannic Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Mr. Eagles, after Zama, Hannibal became ruler of Carthage.

That, and missing a decade and a half of marauding around Italy, does not make you the site's foremost classicist.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Eagles (2), I'd be wary of trusting Faisal Islam's 'sense', given he thought Warsi's 'defection' was a major story and he apparently described her as the most powerful Muslim in British politics (news to Khan, I'm sure).
  • Options
    Get in

Owen Smith plans to launch Labour leadership challenge

Ex-shadow work and pensions secretary has collected several nominations putting Angela Eagle’s prospects in doubt

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/30/owen-smith-plans-launch-labour-leadership-challenge?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    As for Gove, I think he may be a tiny bit psychotic. I would not want him anywhere near the nuclear trigger.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    If anyone wants decisive action, then I reckon a vote for May is a terrible action - she will delay and fudge and umm and arr more than the rest of them put together.

Probably what you lot want though :p
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Get in

Ex-shadow work and pensions secretary has collected several nominations putting Angela Eagle’s prospects in doubt

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/30/owen-smith-plans-launch-labour-leadership-challenge?CMP=share_btn_tw

Blimey, some actual good news for Labour.
  • Options

Mr. M, the first lady is Her Most Britannic Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Mr. Eagles, after Zama, Hannibal became ruler of Carthage.

That, and missing a decade and a half of marauding around Italy, does not make you the site's foremost classicist.

Mr Dancer, I believe that this is the first time I've been forced to disagree with you. A sad day. The Queen is our monarch and as such transcends tawdry politics.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

My sense is core vote leavers wanted some absolute assurances from Boris on EU exit strategy - that's some of what's behind Leadsom, gove

Yes, but he's also beholden to all of the Leave guff. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that Gove went to both Boris and Theresa and asked for assurances that they would seek restrictions on free movement even if it meant not being in the free market, both probably said no and now he has decided to run as a standard bearer for the anti-immigration mob.
  • Options

If Boris is going to stay in this race and remain competitive he is going to have to make some assurances to the Brexiteers. Big speech coming up from him now.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Flynn "I have been a backbencher for 26 years, out of choice, not just my choice but of the five leaders too" good gag
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Get in

'Get in' = how I feel as well. I don't want Angela Eagle as the answer to Labour's question.

Also, I wonder is there anyone who feels sorry for Boris? It must feel like the whole world is laughing at him right now.
  • Options
    Mr. M, the First Lady is wife of the head of state.

We agree the Queen transcends tawdry politics.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Pulpstar said:

If anyone wants decisive action, then I reckon a vote for May is a terrible action - she will delay and fudge and umm and arr more than the rest of them put together.

Probably what you lot want though :p

I’d really like to hear the views of someone, say a retired chief constable, who has had to negotiate with Mrs May!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Gove is County McCountface: there, I said it.

Of course, were he to be elected Leader, he will have no more devoted follower than I. Behind him all the way. Yes, sireee.

He's made my morning.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Much keener on Owen Smith than Eagle.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Assuming no more runners, IMO this market should be priced;

Theresa May 1/1 50%
    Michael Gove 6/4 40%
    Anyone else 9/1 10%
  • Options
    Miss Apocalypse, no.

I think almost everyone believes he only campaigned for Leave as a means to becoming leader.
  • Options

Get in

'Get in' = how I feel as well. I don't want Angela Eagle as the answer to Labour's question.

Also, I wonder is there anyone who feels sorry for Boris? It must feel like the whole world is laughing at him right now.
    My position might be coloured by my 33/1 bet slip on Owen Smith as Corbyn's successor.
  • Options

@NadineDorriesMP

Wow! Looks like Mrs Gove is standing #Vinewearsthetrousers

We need Mrs Bone as well now but my money is on Mrs. Proudie!
  • Options
    Mr. Pong, has Boris lost that much support to Gove?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220

Hello - have sent you private email.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Flynn "I have been a backbencher for 26 years, out of choice, not just my choice but of the five leaders too" good gag

Arf – self-deprecating politician with a sense of humour – he’ll go far.
  • Options
    Raab behind Gove
  • Options

Get in

Boris will be fine. He's that sort of guy isn't he? He will make a fortune, even if it's only on the after-dinner/lecture tour circuit. He'll just be "Fiddlesticks and balderdash" and slope off somewhere else.
  • Options
    Beth Rigby ‏@BethRigby 6m6 minutes ago
    Two winners from Gove bid. @TheresaMay2016 as #Brexiteers split and @George_Osborne; he now has his dog in the race

steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes 1h1 hour ago
    Nicky Morgan has pulled out of race for No10 - friends say
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: Dominic Raab also defects from Boris to Gove. He wrote a piece in today's @TheSun, entitled 'Why Boris has the Heineken effect'.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Hello - have sent you private email.
    Got it. Has been a tres hectic morning, will reply in a bit.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    Is there something even more Machiavellian going on?

Gove wants a Leaver, doesn't trust Boris, and doesn't want to do it himself (too self aware of his own negatives perhaps). He knows that Boris v Leadsom means that Boris takes all the Leaver vote. He 'stands' and causes Boris to not stand. First round Baron (or Fox) loses out and you get to see where everyone is relative to one another.

Gove then steps down and backs Leadsom (the Brexiteers May). Boris is shut out and you get May, Crabb, Leadsom in the final 3 - with a chance of the final 2 being Leadsom and Crabb as May loses out as the 'middle' candidate...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I know it's gauche to blow your own trumpet, but...

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/02/23/the-impact-of-the-euref-onbetting-on-the-next-con-leader/

I've given some pretty ropey tips this year, but this thread from February still looks quite good.
  • Options
    According to the BBC, May claims triumph over Boris' desire for aquatic prelates to combat disorder:
    "Norman says Mrs May had done a "hatchet job" on Mr Johnson, particularly when she raised the issue of his negotiations with the EU, which led to him bringing back water canons to London which she then vetoed the use of on the streets of the capital."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120
  • Options
    Raab 'Boris looked like he was backsliding'

• Options
    Lennon said:

Is there something even more Machiavellian going on?...

Yes. A combination of Boris making a complete horlicks of team building etc in his campaign team and in settling key principles. Added to Osborne whispering in Gove's ear "go for it" and Sarah Vine encouraging her husband to stick to his principles.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Lennon said:

Gove wants a Leaver, doesn't trust Boris, and doesn't want to do it himself (too self aware of his own negatives perhaps). He knows that Boris v Leadsom means that Boris takes all the Leaver vote. He 'stands' and causes Boris to not stand. First round Baron (or Fox) loses out and you get to see where everyone is relative to one another.

Gove then steps down and backs Leadsom (the Brexiteers May). Boris is shut out and you get May, Crabb, Leadsom in the final 3 - with a chance of the final 2 being Leadsom and Crabb as May loses out as the 'middle' candidate...

I doubt if it's as simple as that.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pong said:

Assuming no more runners, IMO this market should be priced;

Theresa May 1/1 50%
    Michael Gove 6/4 40%
    Anyone else 9/1 10%

Thought: Is Gove just in there to clear out Boris for Leadsom?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Raab "Gove fighting as the underdog, for the underdogs"

And covertly digs at *Tories image as Nasty Party*
  • Options
    @rupertmurdoch: Congratulations Michael Gove. Friends always knew his principles would overcome his personal friendships.
  • Options

Lennon said:

:)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Raab behind Gove

He's one of Gove's junior Ministers at Justice. Not sure, though, how this will go down in the constituency (which of course voted 60-40 for Remain, albeit Raab's own campaign was a model of non-partisanship)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    Morning's work all to pot. Oh well, might as well stick around till 11 and see what Boris says.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Boris not doing details and not planning things through. Nothing new there.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Two winners from Gove bid. @TheresaMay2016 as #Brexiteers split and @George_Osborne; he now has his dog in the race

She's got friends?
  • Options
    What does concern me is the prospect of Osborne having any role in the next Govt.
    Mrs May clearly made that impossible by ruling out the emergency budget. Andrea Leadsom was very firm on that nonsense in the referendum so I cannot see her aligning with Osborne.
    Crabb and Fox probably have no problem with Osborne, indeed Fox has been friends with Osborne in the past. So where do Boris and Gove stand?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

And then that Tweet from Rupert Murdoch.

You have just got to love the establishment elite.

• Options
    @DPJHodges: So now even Gove supporters briefing they don't believe Boris wants Brexit. Jesus.
  • Options

Lennon said:

Isn't it simple? Boris could not win because he carries the Hestletine black spot of the death of PM. For some reason Gove does not, therefore is a better bet for the Vote Leave tribe.

That's it.

• Options
    TudorRose said:

Beth Rigby Retweeted

has pulled out of race for No10 - friends say

She's got friends?
    Nicky Morgan has friends in other parties.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

And covertly digs at *Tories image as Nasty Party*

Pass the proverbial sick-bag.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Paul Goodman, editor of ConservativeHome, on why Michael Gove abandoned Boris Johnson.

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) - Gove's decision 1) He came to believe that @BorisJohnson was prepared to backtrack on Brexit.

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) - Gove's decision 2) It's claimed that Johnson refused to allow his Daily Telegraph column text to go through a campaign approval process.

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) - Gove's decision 3) The Justice Secretary & supporters concluded that Johnson was unlikely to defeat May.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    edited June 2016
    Lennon said:

...the host opens door three to reveal a series of carefully selected political tweets

Do I switch?
  • Options
    Raab C Nesbitt tells Boris to beat it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

Lennon said:

LOL
  • Options

What does concern me is the prospect of Osborne having any role in the next Govt.
    Mrs May clearly made that impossible by ruling out the emergency budget. Andrea Leadsom was very firm on that nonsense in the referendum so I cannot see her aligning with Osborne.
    Crabb and Fox probably have no problem with Osborne, indeed Fox has been friends with Osborne in the past. So where do Boris and Gove stand?

Gove stands on whatever will make him PM. He and his wife are a team. Like the Blairs and the Clintons.

Despite his appearances, he is the most scheming of the lot. I'd say May is the least.

Gove shafted Cameron, long time friend and Boris, who thought, stupidly, that Gove was on his side.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@rupertmurdoch: Congratulations Michael Gove. Friends always knew his principles would overcome his personal friendships.

"And my early investment may strike luckier than I could have ever thought possible".

Not if I have my way, it won't.
  • Options
    Cough. Last night I mooted the possibility that Boris might not make the ballot.

Now looking prophetic?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Boris not doing details and not planning things through. Nothing new there.
    I gave him the benefit of the doubt on Monday with his DT article. He's been invisible on the TV - strategic mistake to be out of picture for so long. The Sun backed him on Tuesday FFS. And now it's Thursday.

Labour must be wondering what they put in the water at CCHQ - we don't fanny about.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

hahahahahahahaha! that's a really good one from rupert!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,646
    Since we have had umpteen Labour MPs in the Shadow cabinet for a couple of days to a couple of months each, I am wondering whether this affects pensions etc.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles Oh, I didn't know that LOL.

@John_M Yes, but hasn't Boris dreamed of being PM and has had a rivalry with Cameron since his Oxford days? Boris wanted to be PM so much he jumped ship to Leave and pretty much decided to go for Leave in a ploy to out-maneuver Cameron. And now he's been out-smarted by Michael Gove (and probably George Osborne as well).
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Cough. Last night I mooted the possibility that Boris might not make the ballot.

Now looking prophetic?

Some of us have been predicting it for months, nay, years.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    out of meeting...wtf

et tu Michael

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

poor old madnad

Nadine Dorries ‏@NadineDorriesMP · 4m4 minutes ago
    Gove didn't get the big job Mrs Vine wanted for him - Boris doesn't do bribes

Nadine Dorries ‏@NadineDorriesMP · 3m3 minutes ago
    Conservative party members have no forgiveness for opportunism and treachery - those days are gone

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Paul Goodman, editor of ConservativeHome, on why Michael Gove abandoned Boris Johnson.

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) - Gove's decision 1) He came to believe that @BorisJohnson was prepared to backtrack on Brexit.

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) - Gove's decision 2) It's claimed that Johnson refused to allow his Daily Telegraph column text to go through a campaign approval process.

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) - Gove's decision 3) The Justice Secretary & supporters concluded that Johnson was unlikely to defeat May.

Didn't Gove stay behind at Number 10 for talks with the Prime Minister after the post-Brexit Cabinet? Where does that fit in?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    It's genuinely useful reading comments here. It gives me a real feel for what Ultras think and believe and it's one that is otherwise risk missing. Choices have consequences.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    How essential is it for city of London to have "passporting"? Any city experts please not mourning remainders.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    I am definitely a member of PB Tories 4 Boris.

Come on Boris!!

#bridiot
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

She's got friends?
    I find her incredibly off-putting on the TV. Those unblinking doll eyes and expressionless botoxed face. Even John Redwood seemed more human.
  • Options
    I've bailed out of my Boris position! Cost me £4 in total.

Hard to bet against the opinion of PB shrewdies.
  • Options
    Well time to burn that 66/1 betting slip

Jeremy Hunt backing Theresa May.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    If Boris is to have any chance he will have to promise Australian points system on immigration and that securing control over our borders is higher priority than singe market at the negotiations.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Gove stands on whatever will make him PM. He and his wife are a team. Like the Blairs and the Clintons.

Despite his appearances, he is the most scheming of the lot. I'd say May is the least.

Gove shafted Cameron, long time friend and Boris, who thought, stupidly, that Gove was on his side.
    I totally agree. And Sarah Vine is absolutely awful, if anyone thought Cherie Blair was bad, Sarah Vine is X100000 worse.
  • Options

Lennon said:

Is there something even more Machiavellian going on?...

Yes. A combination of Boris making a complete horlicks of team building etc in his campaign team and in settling key principles. Added to Osborne whispering in Gove's ear "go for it" and Sarah Vine encouraging her husband to stick to his principles.
    You mean the principle of becoming the Prime Minister. From a Labour perspective, I would prefer Gove to either May or Boris. May would be the more dangerous.
This discussion has been closed.