Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB/Polling Matters podcast: Reflecting on the longest w

Comments

• SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2016

Paul Goodman, editor of ConservativeHome, on why Michael Gove abandoned Boris Johnson.

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) - Gove's decision 1) He came to believe that @BorisJohnson was prepared to backtrack on Brexit.

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) - Gove's decision 2) It's claimed that Johnson refused to allow his Daily Telegraph column text to go through a campaign approval process.

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) - Gove's decision 3) The Justice Secretary & supporters concluded that Johnson was unlikely to defeat May.

Didn't Gove stay behind at Number 10 for talks with the Prime Minister after the post-Brexit Cabinet? Where does that fit in?
    A conspiracy theorists dream?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,495
    Harry Cole

Just asked a notionally Boris backing MP what they are going to do now...

"I don't know. I don't f------ know."
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    Yikes! Boris now 7-7.2.

Phew! For now ....
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    surbiton said:

Lennon said:

Is there something even more Machiavellian going on?...

Yes. A combination of Boris making a complete horlicks of team building etc in his campaign team and in settling key principles. Added to Osborne whispering in Gove's ear "go for it" and Sarah Vine encouraging her husband to stick to his principles.
    You mean the principle of becoming the Prime Minister. From a Labour perspective, I would prefer Gove to either May or Boris. May would be the more dangerous.
    May would be a better PM, but the 400 seats won't be healthy for democracy.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,035
    nunu said:

How essential is it for city of London to have "passporting"? Any city experts please not mourning remainders.

There was an informed (apparently .... I’m not really qualified to judge) post yesterday which suggested that worries about the City’s position were unnecessary and overdone.
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,843
    I think the idea that article 50 won't get invoked has got to be completely dead now. All Brexit candidates will say they want it invoked, So all remainer candidates have to say it will be invoked to shut that down. If there is no snap election, and it seems like the Tories are edging away from that, then there is no chance of the party losing power to a remain coalition.

We will now see the true split between the two broad Brexit camps. Gove playing as the anti immigration one will guarantee decent support but this is the Tory party, not UKIp, and I think Theresa will go equally hard on how irresponsible it would be to leave single market etc. I still give her the edge, but it will be close.

There is a delicious schadenfreude for remainers to see Boris get destroyed like this, but on the other hand as he is a closet remainer he probably would have dealt us the most favorable , EU lite deal

• BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    so unless Boris wins it looks like brexit means brexit. what a topsy turvy week.
  • David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited June 2016
    nunu said:

How essential is it for city of London to have "passporting"? Any city experts please not mourning remainders.

You don't need a passport. You set up a subsidiary in the individual countries and get local regulatory control.

This is tiresome to do of course, although many banks and insurers will already have local subsidiaries in the major EU countries.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Boris's speech has leaked

@youngvulgarian: I am happy to announce that I am trying to become your new Pri...[checks cue card], no wait

I'm now politics & media reporter at BuzzFeed!
    Thought that Boris was making a statement at 11. Nothing on BBC yet.
  • PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

nunu said:

There was an informed (apparently .... I’m not really qualified to judge) post yesterday which suggested that worries about the City’s position were unnecessary and overdone.
    @nunu - have a search for two posts by @Travelgall - she offered a great insight.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Well time to burn that 66/1 betting slip

Jeremy Hunt backing Theresa May.

I've got enough losers to light a fire
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So wait, in the space of a month May has gone from claiming she'd scrap the ECHR to saying she'll keep it and the only significant event to happen between then and now is one that would make it far easier to scrap it?

I suppose we are about to see how gullible and easily gulled the Conservative memebership is.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I have made 63 pence profit on the market which almost wipes out my loss on the Labour leadership market.

Dangerous waters these.
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

@nunu - have a search for two posts by @Travelgall - she offered a great insight.
    Thank’s Plato; senior moment on name.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    matt said:

It's genuinely useful reading comments here. It gives me a real feel for what Ultras think and believe and it's one that is otherwise risk missing. Choices have consequences.

We have Ultras on here? Gosh. OK.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,504
    edited June 2016
    Theme from Gove camp (he himself the other day, and now Raab):

"I won't point fingers at other people"

= it was all my colleagues' fault; they are useless bastards.

Not IMO a great personality trait.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,157

Jobabob said:

Cough. Last night I mooted the possibility that Boris might not make the ballot.

Now looking prophetic?

Some of us have been predicting it for months, nay, years.
    Yes, a lot of us said he might not make the final two.
    Scott_P said:

Boris's speech has leaked

@youngvulgarian: I am happy to announce that I am trying to become your new Pri...[checks cue card], no wait

I'm now politics & media reporter at BuzzFeed!

+1 - the cut & pastes are much better when you add a gag ;)
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Has Rees-Mogg announced his candidacy yet ?

Has Boris announced he is withdrawing ?
  • JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Alistair said:

So wait, in the space of a month May has gone from claiming she'd scrap the ECHR to saying she'll keep it and the only significant event to happen between then and now is one that would make it far easier to scrap it?

I suppose we are about to see how gullible and easily gulled the Conservative memebership is.

She is going for EU Lite – EEA + ECHR + FOM
    Morgan backs Gove.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,504
    Go Surallan
    Alistair said:

They'll say anything and do anything to hold power.

I'm out, check my avatar ^_~
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451

nunu said:

It kind of depends. If we want the City to be a lightly regulated offshore financial centre passporting is less important. But the risks are huge - 2008 on steroids. I am not sure that is what we or even a number of financial institutions would want.

Brom said:

so unless Boris wins it looks like brexit means brexit. what a topsy turvy week.

Yes. Looks like Boris, if he is a candidate, will be the only Remaining candidate.

I could have sworn..............
    Brom said:

I think this remains Boris chance. He's ending up as the one candidate who will put the economy first.
  • MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    stjohn said:

Yikes! Boris now 7-7.2.

Phew! For now ....

Leave 4.8

Leave 6.4

Leave 8.6
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

You don't need a passport. You set up a subsidiary in the individual countries and get local regulatory control.

This is tiresome to do of course, although many banks and insurers will already have local subsidiaries in the major EU countries.
    And most of the financial companies are big enough to deal with that burden. Right let's get on with it then no FoM.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    PlatoSaid said:

Flynn "I have been a backbencher for 26 years, out of choice, not just my choice but of the five leaders too" good gag

I've always quite liked Flynn in his own way. Very straightforward about his belief in implementing the manifesto of 1945.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Hunt backs May.
  • asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Never a dull moment around here right now
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    MontyHall said:

stjohn said:

Yikes! Boris now 7-7.2.

Phew! For now ....

Leave 4.8

Leave 6.4

Leave 8.6
    MPs supporting Boris collapsing though. These are the early results, if you like. They are not determinative, but they are indicative.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821

I've consistently bet against Boris. As at this moment that's looking smart, but it's a roller-coaster ride.
    I would not be surprised if everyone other than May and Gove backs out by the end of the day.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Those posts were good. There will however be some negative effect - and it is no point ignoring it. It would be better to keep the passport. But it is certainly the case that Germany and France have significant disadvantages which are not necessarily eliminated by having the passport. See my posts on the previous thread this morning.

It would be better to keep it. But there are lots of variables to consider here.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Nadine Dorries ✔@NadineDorriesMP

Conservative party members will be very very angry if Boris not on final 2. Treachery of Gove won't be forgiven easily.

• Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Apparently Boris has written 2 columns, One in which he is standing, and one in which he is not. He may have picked up the wrong one on his way out of the house...

I've consistently bet against Boris. As at this moment that's looking smart, but it's a roller-coaster ride.
    Me too.
    edited June 2016
    Danny Shaw
    Chakrabarti report says there is "too much clear evidence...of minority hateful or ignorant attitudes" in Labour Party....but

Kevin Schofield
    Chakrabarti review says Labour members should "resist the use of Hitler, Nazi and Holocaust metaphors". Resist?

Yes if Boris wins I'm in trouble with the other half, I'll have bet away our holiday money.
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067
    edited June 2016
    hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahah

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch · 40s41 seconds ago

Woke up and digesting Michael Gove's announcement. If there is any doubt about Boris backtracking then of course, I am switching to Gove

total & utter headbanging nutter (now back in US?)

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch · 46s47 seconds ago
    Absolutely nothing matters more than Brexit. Nothing.

Conservative party members will be very very angry if Boris not on final 2. Treachery of Gove won't be forgiven easily.

Was that the Starters ?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

nunu said:

It kind of depends. If we want the City to be a lightly regulated offshore financial centre passporting is less important. But the risks are huge - 2008 on steroids. I am not sure that is what we or even a number of financial institutions would want.

The irony in that statement is that our regulation is stronger than any of the others in Europe...
    MontyHall said:

stjohn said:

Yikes! Boris now 7-7.2.

Phew! For now ....

Leave 4.8

Leave 6.4

Leave 8.6
    I know!

I backed Tory over all majority at 6.8 but reversed my position when the polls and PBers said it wasn't going to happen.

I backed LEAVE at 3.85 but reversed my position when the polls and PBers said it wasn't going to happen.

I backed Boris at 6.3 but reversed my position when the polls and PBers said it wasn't going to happen .........
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,495
    Boris is finding out that there are three sorts of people in the Tory party: shits, bloody shits and fucking shits.
    TOPPING said:

Theme from Gove camp (he himself the other day, and now Raab):

"I won't point fingers at other people"

= it was all my colleagues' fault; they are useless bastards.

Not IMO a great personality trait.

Like Boris, Gove has promised:
    * £350 million a week more spending on the NHS.
    * Tax cuts
    * No tax rises
    * No public spending cuts
    * All current EU grants and subsidies maintained
    * A selection of beneficial trade agreements
    * Major reductions in immigration
    * Ongoing, full access to the single market
    Like Boris, he will not be able to deliver.

MaxPB said:

Yes if Boris wins I'm in trouble with the other half, I'll have bet away our holiday money.
    Never bet anything you can't afford to lose! But I think you have a free shot on the "will Boris even stand?" question.
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,843
    gove may win the Cameroonian support from all but Cameron (who is probably backing May even if politically she's not that close to him) - Morgan backing Gove, Osborne presumably pulling strings somewhere - perhaps they've decided the EU is a price worth paying if they can continue their Cameroonian agenda?
    When is the declaration ?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Third runway decision deferred.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,448
    tlg86 said:

Hunt backs May.

Rats. He was my big win bet. Still I'm green on pretty anything except Boris.

Honestly, the whole country has the potential to be very angry at the moment. Nearly half the country who voted Remain: angry. Labour in its entirety: angry. UKIP worried about betrayal: angry. Chavs: angry. England football supporters: angry. SNP: angry. The list is almost endless.

Thankfully, we have PB which is returning to its usual blend of insight and mordant sarcasm.
  • mr-claypolemr-claypole Posts: 218
    Wonder if Cameron and Gove might have had a little chat over the last few days?

Cyclefree said:

From Faisal Islam, it makes me want to back Boris, he's clearly a Remainer

My sense is core vote leavers wanted some absolute assurances from Boris on EU exit strategy - that's some of what's behind Leadsom, gove

Hello - have sent you private email.
    Got it. Has been a tres hectic morning, will reply in a bit.
    I can well imagine! My daughter, who is studying Ancient Rome, says that it is the perfect training for understanding today's politics. How right she is!

• PlatoSaid said:

Morgan backs Gove.

oh dear.
    murali_s said:
    Pretentious? Moi? lol

I had too - but post-referendum I've lost a bit on him in the last week. But hopefully more than compensated for elsewhere.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    It would be beautiful if Boris and Corbyn didn't make their ballots!
  • bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    My wife has just come off the phone to her sister, a partner in a US-based firm in the City.

First round of redundancies starts on Monday 'as a direct result of brexit'. As she says, the 'smart' Lawyers who voted Leave on the basis of reducing immigration will certainly get their wishes - they'll be doing their own cleaning whilst looking for other jobs.

Meanwhile, the French, who had been holding-up the top-end residential market in London are pulling out of housing transactions all over the leafy suburbs.

It's started. Project Reality.

Boris is finding out that there are three sorts of people in the Tory party: shits, bloody shits and fucking shits.

But those are the rules, they are always the rules. It's the Labour party that is not following the rules at the moment.
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Can anyone outline to me what appeal they think Gove would have to the general public?

Surely there is no way a Gove led Tory party could win a majority at the General Election.

Perhaps he will be PM until 2019 to oversee Brexit and then stand down in favour of someone more electable.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,522
    I wonder what Labour MPs are thinking, looking at Gove kneecap Boris.

Has Eagle declared yet?

PlatoSaid said:

Morgan backs Gove.

oh dear.
    True Remainer Morgan backs Gove??? Somebody get me some more medication.

PlatoSaid said:

Morgan backs Gove.

oh dear.
    First proposer even.
    edited June 2016
    Has Boris actually put in nomination papers yet?
    bunnco said:

My wife has just come off the phone to her sister, a partner in a US-based firm in the City.

First round of redundancies starts on Monday 'as a direct result of brexit'. As she says, the 'smart' Lawyers who voted Leave on the basis of reducing immigration will certainly get their wishes - they'll be doing their own cleaning whilst looking for other jobs.

Meanwhile, the French, who had been holding-up the top-end residential market in London are pulling out of housing transactions all over the leafy suburbs.

There are no planned redundancies at the Silver Circle law firm I'm at, as far as I'm aware. I'm confused why a US operation would act before it knew what the medium term was going to look like.

PlatoSaid said:

Morgan backs Gove.

oh dear.
    Osborne's acolytes will line up behind Gove and Osborne will be Gove's chancellor.

gove may win the Cameroonian support from all but Cameron (who is probably backing May even if politically she's not that close to him) - Morgan backing Gove, Osborne presumably pulling strings somewhere - perhaps they've decided the EU is a price worth paying if they can continue their Cameroonian agenda?

Gove must have informed Cameron his plan after the cabinet meeting. May even have showed him the knife.

Is Boris on Prozac right now ?
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    murali_s said:
    ppffft

regularly used in my group (and in the NMR community at large) to put the date on experimental data.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Ah, this morning at the Business Statement in the Commons, there was Paul Flynn responding from the front bench

https://twitter.com/WalesPolitics/status/748456668074119168

bunnco said:

There are no planned redundancies at the Silver Circle law firm I'm at, as far as I'm aware. I'm confused why a US operation would act before it knew what the medium term was going to look like.
    Everybody is going to use Brexit as the reason for any redundancies at this point. It's only human, and it may even be true.
    This also brings up the serious prospect of Theresa and Boris doing a deal where he becomes chancellor under her and delivers her to the final round and brings a chunk of leave support.
    eek said:

nunu said:

The irony in that statement is that our regulation is stronger than any of the others in Europe...
    Indeed. And that could give us a competitive advantage. The strength of the regulatory system and the confidence this gives clients is one of the factors which financial firms take into account.
    bunnco said:

My friend who works at Manchester University has lost his job as a direct result of Brexit. It will affect our universities and science negatively in a big way. And no it is not all about the money we pay to the EU.
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,768

bunnco said:

Unless they were looking to make cuts anyway and this is just a good excuse.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,172

Has Boris actually put in nomination papers yet?

Change of mind. He's off collecting the 51 signatures that his opportunistic drifting has now led him to require.
    Miss Cyclefree, your daughter's right.

It's also interesting to compare and contrast the two major parties as they have very different leadership contests.
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    JonathanD said:

Can anyone outline to me what appeal they think Gove would have to the general public?

Surely there is no way a Gove led Tory party could win a majority at the General Election.

Perhaps he will be PM until 2019 to oversee Brexit and then stand down in favour of someone more electable.

They aren't thinking about the GBP. IMHO, anyone who is thinking about the whole country is supporting May. Tories who vote for Gove are doing so on the basis that Corbyn cannot win a GE and so the rest of us will have to put with a Gove government and whatever comes with that.

I wonder what Labour MPs are thinking, looking at Gove kneecap Boris.

Has Eagle declared yet?

Is Boris going for the Labour job ?
    MaxPB said:

This also brings up the serious prospect of Theresa and Boris doing a deal where he becomes chancellor under her and delivers her to the final round and brings a chunk of leave support.

Would Boris want to be Chancellor? All that detail.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Seriously considering standing is code for make me an offer
    edited June 2016

And those three sorts are the ones you need to cultivate.
    bunnco said:

Sorry but that's planned redundencies using the current built in excuse..
    Lennon said:

bunnco said:

It is of course plausible that - whilst no cuts were planned - the financials were very delicate.

MaxPB said:

I have a Hammond next chancellor betslip.

Surely the sensible choice.
  • David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Get in

Owen Smith plans to launch Labour leadership challenge

Ex-shadow work and pensions secretary has collected several nominations putting Angela Eagle’s prospects in doubt

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/30/owen-smith-plans-launch-labour-leadership-challenge?CMP=share_btn_tw

Presumably If Owen Smith stands that will split the anti Corbyn vote and make it even more likely Corbyn will win again.

Lennon said:

bunnco said:

It is of course plausible that - whilst no cuts were planned - the financials were very delicate.
    I doubt that's the case. Those sort of decisions take months at the best of times not a week...

MaxPB said:

Better than Minister for Brexit. He could land Gove with that job if he had power within the May administration.
  • JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahah

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch · 40s41 seconds ago

Woke up and digesting Michael Gove's announcement. If there is any doubt about Boris backtracking then of course, I am switching to Gove

total & utter headbanging nutter (now back in US?)

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch · 46s47 seconds ago
    Absolutely nothing matters more than Brexit. Nothing.

She is speaking for many people there sadly Scrapheap – there are many on here who see pretty much all misery as a price worth paying for Brexit.

I think it is lawyers who specialise in fund-raising or mergers and acquisitions who are likely to be hit in the short term. Everything is frozen.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    Corbyn: "'Zio' is a vile epithet. Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for actions of Israel than Muslims are for Islamic State."

So Israel=ISIS....

Nice one Corbyn

Get in

Owen Smith plans to launch Labour leadership challenge

Ex-shadow work and pensions secretary has collected several nominations putting Angela Eagle’s prospects in doubt

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/30/owen-smith-plans-launch-labour-leadership-challenge?CMP=share_btn_tw

Presumably If Owen Smith stands that will split the anti Corbyn vote and make it even more likely Corbyn will win again.
    Surely Eagle aborts if Smith stands. Shorely.

MaxPB said:

Boris as chancellor :-D

• RobDRobD Posts: 59,572
    :o Gove is running?
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

bunnco said:

My friend who works at Manchester University has lost his job as a direct result of Brexit. It will affect our universities and science negatively in a big way. And no it is not all about the money we pay to the EU.
    I assume a short term research contract dependant on an European funded program that has not been renewed?

I am surprised that there has been an effect that quickly, Horizon 2020 projects should still be secure and most Universities are expecting the science collaboration to continue even if we exit.

In general you are right though about the effect on Universities - a lot of reassuring emails were sent last Friday although its a shame to see they were unjustified.

Wonder if Cameron and Gove might have had a little chat over the last few days?

Didn't Gove stay behind after cabinet on Monday...
    Mr. Surbiton, not yet, but give it a few hours ;)
This discussion has been closed.