Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Lessons from the worst episodes of our history – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663

TimT said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

So here’s one thing Brexit didn’t do. Kill off London as the art capital of Europe. This place is jammers

Bodes well for the ice-skating come winter.
    I confess I hadn't heard of Frieze.

Obviously some thing for the North London Metropolitan Elite.
    It’s probably the most famous art fair in the world? Alongside Basel

It’s joyous. Enormous. Totally open to the public. But sold out this year
    Honestly, I've never heard of it.

In any case, if I were going anywhere today, I'd be heading to Ascot for Champions Day - they'll get 30,000 for that. The coronavirus hasn't killed off horse racing either
    My girlfriend likes to remind me that if you call it "horse racing" rather than just "racing" it means you're a filthy casual.

Obviously I continue to use "horse racing" all the more.
    I alway bridle at the American 'horseback riding'. What else would one ride? And how else would you ride a horse?
    Elephants. Obviously.

Many years ago, went to the Chitwan reserve in Nepal. We had to stay out side the reserve. We entered the reserve each day, by elephant, wading/swimming across the river at dawn.
    Giant tortoises, too. But the racing is reminiscent of cricket in its pace (not better or worse, just different).

http://thezooreviewer.blogspot.com/2019/10/save-horse-ride-tortoise.html
  • Options

I see the PB art conosoors have signed in.
    Quick straw poll, hands up which PBers have bought a piece of art in the last couple of years (prints of Spitfires and David Shepherd elephants don't count for this one)?

Does being given paintings by (in both readings) a family member count?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,883
    Douglas Ross confirmed this week that he will stand down from the Commons at the next UK general election - the first MP in this Parliament to do so: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/politics/scottish-politics/2657685/westminster-boundary-shake-up-will-impact-all-courier-voters/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953

Quick straw poll, hands up which PBers have bought a piece of art in the last couple of years (prints of Spitfires and David Shepherd elephants don't count for this one)?

I've bought many pieces of art. But then my wife is an artist.
  • Options
    Leon said:

So here’s one thing Brexit didn’t do. Kill off London as the art capital of Europe. This place is jammers

Historically, there are only two and a half places that matter in the art world: London and New York. (The half is LA.)

I suspect we probably need to add Shanghai to the list.

Nowhere in Europe comes close, as an art market.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Two more weeks till we turn the clocks back.

Who actually wants it to get dark at 4 pm? No one.
    Why do we do it? Because it worked in the First World War. Or something.

Let's make this the last year for this crap. December and January are depressing enough.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s surprising how many Brits, even Londoners, have never heard of Frieze. It’s probably the best art fair in the world. Certainly one of the biggest

You get to see the finest ultra modern art from all over the globe in one place. Plus lots of weird/fascinating/beautiful/pretentious/insanely rich/laughable people

Then you go to Frieze Masters and see incredible ancient, primitive, famous art from Raphael to New Guinea carvings to Chinese calligraphy to Warhol

And it happens once a year on our doorstep. And so many people are just… unaware?

I've never heard of it either and glancing at the BBC News front page it doesn't even feature at all that I can see. Whereas Edinburgh Fringe etc always does.
    Yes it’s bonkers. It’s easily as important in the art world as Edinburgh is in performing arts

It also generates vast sums of cash as people flood into london from across the world - and buy all the art. Not just here but at auction houses and other galleries and private sales…
    Different approach to publicity, different clienteles, different targets, perhaps. Theatres need bums on seats (at Edinburgh fringe above all) but any art purchaser will soon know to go to the Frieze. Maybe it features quite prominently in, say, Country Life?
  • Options
    Leon said:

It’s surprising how many Brits, even Londoners, have never heard of Frieze. It’s probably the best art fair in the world. Certainly one of the biggest

You get to see the finest ultra modern art from all over the globe in one place. Plus lots of weird/fascinating/beautiful/pretentious/insanely rich/laughable people

Then you go to Frieze Masters and see incredible ancient, primitive, famous art from Raphael to New Guinea carvings to Chinese calligraphy to Warhol

And it happens once a year on our doorstep. And so many people are just… unaware?

I've been to the Frieze many times, and it's an unusual market because it's high end... but not too high end. It's the kind of place where someone can wander around and see £3,000 pieces of art displayed near £1m pieces.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

As long as you hang/show them.
    Not to get too Alan Clark about it most of the stuff on my walls is inherited or given, though I have purchased as well. Hoping to negotiate mates rates on another soonish.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Fishing said:

Let's make this the last year for this crap. December and January are depressing enough.

Beg to differ. It makes a positive difference in the north of the UK to have light mornings, at least, for the morning travel and morning hound-walk.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I've bought many pieces of art. But then my wife is an artist.
    But not all the work of Mrs rcs1000 I assume!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

As long as you hang/show them.
    Not to get too Alan Clark about it most of the stuff on my walls is inherited or given, though I have purchased as well. Hoping to negotiate mates rates on another soonish.
    Quite a few on the walls.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164
    Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Disagree. It makes a positive difference in the north of the UK to have light mornings, at least, for the morning travel and morning hound-walk.
    Plus the actual daylight is exactly the same. It’s winter. Deal with it or move.😀
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Disagree. It makes a positive difference in the north of the UK to have light mornings, at least, for the morning travel and morning hound-walk.
    Plus the actual daylight is exactly the same. It’s winter. Deal with it or move.😀
    So it is - sorry. Was thinking however it would be better to have BST all year round, maybe.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Fishing said:

Except that summer time is the change, not winter time.

The only solution is to be closer to the Equator.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    UK local R

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    edited October 2021
    Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

There's no reason why we can't stay on BST all year. If Scottish farmers don't like it Scotland could have a different time zone to the rest of the country. It's horrible when it gets dark at 4pm.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I've been to the Frieze many times, and it's an unusual market because it's high end... but not too high end. It's the kind of place where someone can wander around and see £3,000 pieces of art displayed near £1m pieces.

The eclecticism is fabulous. I’m sitting by the Agnews stand in Frieze Masters. They’ve got lots of gorgeous Victorian paintings for sale, including a lovely Waterhouse for £1m

But they also have a turbine from an original Concorde engine. Who knew. And it’s sold.

“Price on application”

Is that £2k or £200k? How on earth do you value that?
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

About twelve years ago, we nearly bought a beautiful print of a tiger. It was by a well-known artist, but did not cost that much and Mrs J loved the picture. In the end we decided against, partly because we were moved frequently around rented accommodation and didn't (*) want the hassle of putting it on the wall whenever we moved.

The artist?

Rolf Harris.

We're quite glad we didn't buy it. Instead, we have some antique paintings given to us by my parents. and a few by my mother-in-law (who did an art degree in her sixties, and has exhibited many times in Turkey (**).

(*) Well, I didn't.
    (**) She wants me to do a sitting. In the nude. So far, I have resisted.... ;)
  • Options
    Age related data scaled to 100K

• Options
    Also, without getting too Leony, the two Frieze fairs probably constitute the greatest concentration of beautiful young women in one time and place, anywhere on the planet, outside of very very big high end Hollywood parties

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    Leon said:

Also, without getting too Leony, the two Frieze fairs probably constitute the greatest concentration of beautiful young women in one time and place, anywhere on the planet, outside of very very big high end Hollywood parties

I bet the Americans are wearing facemasks.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

No one is wearing face masks. As the day has worn on everyone has abandoned them. Interesting. Even the Asians
  • Options

About twelve years ago, we nearly bought a beautiful print of a tiger. It was by a well-known artist, but did not cost that much and Mrs J loved the picture. In the end we decided against, partly because we were moved frequently around rented accommodation and didn't (*) want the hassle of putting it on the wall whenever we moved.

The artist?

Rolf Harris.

We're quite glad we didn't buy it. Instead, we have some antique paintings given to us by my parents. and a few by my mother-in-law (who did an art degree in her sixties, and has exhibited many times in Turkey (**).

(*) Well, I didn't.
    Title: Cold Day :wink:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

But that would involve taking the UK closer to Europe ... ;)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,477
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I've never heard of it either and glancing at the BBC News front page it doesn't even feature at all that I can see. Whereas Edinburgh Fringe etc always does.
    Yes it’s bonkers. It’s easily as important in the art world as Edinburgh is in performing arts

It also generates vast sums of cash as people flood into london from across the world - and buy all the art. Not just here but at auction houses and other galleries and private sales…
    Im guessing the Beeb has more luvvies in performing arts than they have in art.
    Funnily enough I just saw Alan Yentob. The controversial BBC arts presenter
    He's not a controversial arts presenter.

He's a controversial ex-Chair of the Board of Trustees at Kids Company.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164
    Leon said:

All there for the art, is it the large concentration of money?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Talking of worst episodes of our history. Another one for the police to explain if true.

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited October 2021
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

No one is wearing face masks. As the day has worn on everyone has abandoned them. Interesting. Even the Asians
    Watch out, you will soon get told off for generalising about groups.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited October 2021
    MattW said:

Talking of worst episodes of our history. Another one for the police to explain if true.

It's a crime scene.

You cannot violate the integrity of scene or accidentally destroy/contaminate evidence.

Any half decent barrister would have a field day in having a lot of the physical evidence excluded from the trial.
  • Options

The artist?

Rolf Harris.

(*) Well, I didn't.
    As long as it's not Rolf asking you to pose..
  • Options
    edited October 2021

The artist?

Rolf Harris.

(*) Well, I didn't.
    Title: Cold Day :wink:
    Will that become a more or less attractive project as you move into (since Clark has been mentioned) bufferdom?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Im guessing the Beeb has more luvvies in performing arts than they have in art.
    Funnily enough I just saw Alan Yentob. The controversial BBC arts presenter
    He's not a controversial arts presenter.

He's a controversial ex-Chair of the Board of Trustees at Kids Company.
    He was also a controversial senior manager at the BBC.
  • Options

I have bought a couple of paintings
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Leon said:

Now I really need to now the degrees of Leonness, how many categories there are.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I just came back from Sainsbury's Ilford North. I wore a mask, so were plenty of others.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited October 2021
    I did buy a couple pieces of art around 4 years ago from an artist whose stuff I had seen at a street stall in Bath, which remains the only artwork I have ever purchased.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

You cannot violate the integrity of scene or accidentally destroy/contaminate evidence.

Any half decent barrister would have a field day in having a lot of the physical evidence excluded from the trial.
    However, you also have paramedics trying to deal with his injuries....

And as my wife just pointed out you need to deal with his mental / spiritual health as well as his physical health.
  • Options

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

Given the murderer hung around to be arrested, trace physical evidence ought not to have been a major consideration. The priest should have been allowed in, provided Amess was still conscious at that point. Inspector Jobsworth was wrong.
  • Options
    eek said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

And as my wife just pointed out you need to deal with his mental / spiritual health as well as his physical health.
    But the paramedics are usually wearing gloves etc, there's normally an audit trail on who it was etc.
  • Options

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

Given the murderer hung around to be arrested, trace physical evidence ought not to have been a major consideration. The priest should have been allowed in, provided Amess was still conscious at that point. Inspector Jobsworth was wrong.
    I think the rules they were following are wrong.

This might be something PACE needs updating with.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Now I really need to now the degrees of Leonness, how many categories there are.
    I'm aware of about 5.

But it is like Freemasonry and Charlatanry; we have no idea how far it goes.
  • Options

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

Of course you should not allow anyone in who is not essential at such a shocking event . Religion is pandered to too much anyway . Religion shoudl take a step back from demanding special rights especially as this murder seems to be religious motivated or at least the murderer thinking he was doing it in th ename of religion
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I have bought a couple of paintings
    Cool. Contemporary?
  • Options

Cool. Contemporary?

Yes. By a Scottish artist :)
  • Options

None during the last two years.

But before then 22 from local exhibitions, 11 from ebay and 6 by either myself or family members.

You can get some very nice art, especially if you like abstracts and watercolours, for under £200.

I'm sure other PBers have more and more expensive.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I'm aware of about 5.

Too far, usually.
  • Options
    I didnt make my bed today if that counts as art?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

Of course you should not allow anyone in who is not essential at such a shocking event . Religion is pandered to too much anyway . Religion shoudl take a step back from demanding special rights especially as this murder seems to be religious motivated or at least the murderer thinking he was doing it in th ename of religion
    A dying man should be denied comfort because you disagree with his beliefs?

OK.

• Options
    Jeez.

Art. Art?

Even more effete than bloody restaurant reviews :lol:
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Farooq said:

MattW said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I'm aware of about 5.

Too far, usually.
    Well done on reaching 1000 comments in just 5 weeks - prolific
  • Options

The artist?

Rolf Harris.

(*) Well, I didn't.
    Give the fellow a break. He's already in jail; he doesn't deserve a worse punishment ...
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

It is for the sake of the victim, not the priest. A devout Catholic like Amess would have received great comfort in his dying minutes from being given the Last Rites.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited October 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

A dying man should be denied comfort because you disagree with his beliefs?

OK.

no I coudl not care less of his beliefs in a god - Its not the right place to do it though is it? No other normal non medicla or police personal woudl have been allowed at that point so why somebody who practically could do nothing . If he was conciousss i am sure he was not really thinking abou the last rites - Tbh why woudl anyone want to see somebody giving the last rites which essentially means they are tellign you you are dying (not exactly a fkin comfort is it?) - Religion shoudl be more humble and not demand crap like this .

If he was still alive then medics would have been battling to save him and the last thing they woudl have wanted was some priest telling him he was dying. Fkin creepy if you ask me
  • Options
    eek said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

There's a massive difference between physical health and "spiritual health".

Preserving the crime scene surely has to take priority. Unfortunately. The last thing that anyone should want is the risk of an acquittal due to the crime scene being compromised.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,772
    Scott_xP said:

Douglas Ross confirmed this week that he will stand down from the Commons at the next UK general election - the first MP in this Parliament to do so: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/politics/scottish-politics/2657685/westminster-boundary-shake-up-will-impact-all-courier-voters/

Not surprised as his Moray constituency is set to disappear.
  • Options

eek said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

But the paramedics are usually wearing gloves etc, there's normally an audit trail on who it was etc.
    What about their shoes? Plenty of trace material possibilities there.

As for the audit trail, think it should be pretty easy with a priest.
  • Options

eek said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

Preserving the crime scene surely has to take priority. Unfortunately. The last thing that anyone should want is the risk of an acquittal due to the crime scene being compromised.
    You really think the murderer would be acquitted when he stood there waiting to be arrested and was seen by plenty of witnesses to have stabbed the MP just because a priest came in and gave the Last Rites? Ok.

I think this has more to do with your anti-religious views than truly believing it could compromise a prosecution.
  • Options
    isam said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I'm aware of about 5.

Too far, usually.
    Well done on reaching 1000 comments in just 5 weeks - prolific
    I think the Russians pay per comment at their bot farms *

* only joking
  • Options
    MrEd said:

eek said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

What about their shoes? Plenty of trace material possibilities there.

As for the audit trail, think it should be pretty easy with a priest.
    The Catholic Church has an unfortunate history in finding priests the authorities are looking for.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324
    edited October 2021

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

That is why I qualified that Amess should be conscious. Comfort should be for the injured man, not the priest.

ETA scooped so let me go out on a limb by suggesting police should also be quicker to reopen roads after accidents or incidents, even if it does mean evidence might be lost (although from my limited observations, often the scene is guarded long after they've stopped looking).
  • Options
    MrEd said:

eek said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

You really think the murderer would be acquitted when he stood there waiting to be arrested and was seen by plenty of witnesses to have stabbed the MP just because a priest came in and gave the Last Rites? Ok.

I think this has more to do with your anti-religious views than truly believing it could compromise a prosecution.
    I doubt David Amess asked for any last rites and could have been less not more comforted if a priest turned up tellign him he was dying. Last rites should be a planned thing at the request of the person they are administered to not an interference in a murder scene
  • Options
    MrEd said:

eek said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

It's got nothing to do with my views on religion, I'm keeping my views to myself in this instance as my views aren't relevant. His views matter infinitely more than my own do.

But quite rightly we preserve the crime scene in circumstances like this. He might get comfort from seeing a priest and I'd respect that in general, as his choice. Someone else might get comfort from seeing an imam, someone else from seeing a relative. If I was dying I'd probably want to see my wife, everyone has their own choices.

Would a relative be allowed in to hold his hand as he fights for his life/dies? If so, I see no reason a priest shouldn't be treated the same. If not, I see no reason a priest shouldn't be treated the same either.
  • Options

The artist?

Rolf Harris.

(*) Well, I didn't.
    Give the fellow a break. He's already in jail; he doesn't deserve a worse punishment ...
    He's out now. They do say jail changes a man..
  • Options
    edited October 2021

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

That last comment - that the comfort of a dying victim has anything to do with an assumed motivation of a murdered - is low.

For the other, I expect that there are already rules and principles in place. We shall find out.

The additional disturbance seems to me to be pretty minimal, and perhaps justified in the circumstances.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    In the Blue Book of the War (1916) among those singled out for praise is a British priest who, mortally wounded, administers the last rites to others on the battlefield, including a German soldier.

Not religious myself, but if possible such things should be allowed for those who are.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    edited October 2021

MrEd said:

eek said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

I doubt David Amess asked for any last rites and could have been less not more comforted if a priest turned up tellign him he was dying. Last rites should be a planned thing at the request of the person they are administered to not an interference in a murder scene
    David was very keen on Christianity and I think would have appreciated it. I agree with Mr Ed, though I realise that the police will have been following standing instructions.
  • Options
    I'm not an expert in the last rites so can anyone tell me if the priest needs to be in physical contact with the dying person?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767

In the Blue Book of the War (1916) among those singled out for praise is a British priest who, mortally wounded, administers the last rites to others on the battlefield, including a German soldier.

Not religious myself, but if possible such things should be allowed for those who are.

I've always thought the idea of war 'for God' was crazy. What sort of God are they!?

I'm an atheist anyway.

Some of the battlefield priests. chaplains and undoubtedly others of other religions really have been the most astonishingly brave and great men though.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    darkage said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Quite so :). Most people in Sainsbury still masked here today. Clearly down from the peak, though probably up slightly on last week.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Whays the normal procedure for last rites where evidence needs to be preserved. Could the priest have gone in with a mask, gloves and overboots ?
    I expect it isn't something that arises too often so the officers in charge defaulted ti 'no' though it probably should have a procedure
  • Options

darkage said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Quite so :). Most people in Sainsbury still masked here today. Clearly down from the peak, though probably up slightly on last week.
    How did you Amess interview go this morning, @NickPalmer ?
  • Options

MrEd said:

eek said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

David was very keen on Christianity and I think would have appreciated it. I agree with Mr Ed, though I realise that the police will have been following standing instructions.
    Standing instructions should exist one way or another because in the 'fog of war' while dealing with an incident something that doesn't seem important now could be very important later.

So either it should be allowed, following requirements (eg gloves etc) or it shouldn't be. Saying "this is an open and shut case so we will allow it this time even though it's not normally allowed" shouldn't happen because what seems trivial now could be critical once it gets to trial.
  • Options

MrEd said:

eek said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

Standing instructions should exist one way or another because in the 'fog of war' while dealing with an incident something that doesn't seem important now could be very important later.

So either it should be allowed, following requirements (eg gloves etc) or it shouldn't be. Saying "this is an open and shut case so we will allow it this time even though it's not normally allowed" shouldn't happen because what seems trivial now could be critical once it gets to trial.
    The interest of the victim is, aiui, supposed to be a priority; I hardly hear anything else in public rhetoric.

That principle should have material weight here.
  • Options

I'm not an expert in the last rites so can anyone tell me if the priest needs to be in physical contact with the dying person?

Traditionally, you'd have annointing with oil and giving the Communion bread. So you'd normally have close contact I guess.

This must have been an issue before now.

(And yes, knowing what we know of Sir David's beliefs, denying him the last rites was at least unkind.)
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

You’ve got at least half a dozen eye witnesses. I’m not sure it would make a lot of difference.
  • Options

Traditionally, you'd have annointing with oil and giving the Communion bread. So you'd normally have close contact I guess.

This must have been an issue before now.

(And yes, knowing what we know of Sir David's beliefs, denying him the last rites was at least unkind.)
    Thanks.

I do agree with your latter point.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

You’ve got at least half a dozen eye witnesses. I’m not sure it would make a lot of difference.
    From what I read so far they only saw the aftermath, not the actual stabbing.

(Happy to be corrected.)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

JBriskin3 said:

Off topic - It's behind a paywall (which I don't have access to) - But it's all in the headline.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lgbt-activists-get-word-mother-axed-from-government-policies-q6q6bxtf6

Is this PB's doing? @CarlottaVance raised it yesterday with regard to Scotland.
    Bunch of woke retards
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

Off topic - It's behind a paywall (which I don't have access to) - But it's all in the headline.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lgbt-activists-get-word-mother-axed-from-government-policies-q6q6bxtf6

Presumably it is chestfeeding too.
    That's different. I've not read the Times but it does occur that talking about mothers and fathers can be ambiguous depending on context, now that there are so many "non-traditional" family structures in place. In terms of maternity wards, it is obvious who the mother is, so it is bloody silly to replace the word. In terms of later benefits or schools admin or maternity leave, is mother the birth-giver or the woman who sleeps with dad and butters the toast in the morning? And where there is no female adult in the family?
    The word "parent" will do in those situations. But there is absolutely no reason to remove or replace the word "mother" for the vast majority of situations when it is perfectly obvious that there is a mother and who it is. And I really don't see what business it is of a charity which claims to speak for some of a minority group to tell public bodies how to call women. How about asking women? Or, you know, mothers. There are lots of us about.
    Sorry but I can't get too worked up over this but, as I said, I've not seen the Times. Maybe the charity was involved because it was consulted, or maybe it did stick its oar in uninvited, I don't know. But as you suggest, sometimes it might be appropriate to replace the word "mother" with "parent" in certain contexts. Chestfeeding is silly. Revising old forms to remove assumptions that are no longer valid does seem a worthwhile exercise.
    They are paid a fortune by Scottish government to come up with this ignorant drivel, if the morons really try to put this through it will be the end for them and their green lickspittles.
  • Options

MattW said:

It's a crime scene.

Sorry, but cannot agree. IMHO this has ZERO to do with YOUR or anyone else's views on religion.

And the killers views on religion have even LESS relevance. Your logic here is truly fuzzy!
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

Chestfeeding I'd the new Winterval or bendy bananas.
    ‘Yer can’t even menshun breastfeedin’ without bein’ arrested nowadays’
    Yes the sexuality debate is all shits and giggles if you're an SNP Type
    You are a moron of the highest order , why not crawl back under your rock and disappear again.
  • Options
    Whether David Amess was conscious or not is immaterial. The Sacrament of the Sick (doesn't have to be at point of death) is about grace. It is exceptionally important to a practising Catholic.
  • Options
    meanwhile back at the ranch . . . or rather the Old Dominion . . .

Politico.com - Virginia is for worriers: Governor race poses real risk to Dem agenda
    “If things don’t go well" for Terry McAuliffe, one party lawmaker said, "there’s going to be a lot of different reckonings here.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/16/democrats-reckoning-virginia-governor-race-516086

By the way, "Virginia is for worriers" is a take-off on the long-standing tourism slogan: "Virginia is for lovers".

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

UK cases by specimen date

A lot of places in the West exploding out of no where
  • Options
    One of the few advantages of a tragedy such as yesterday's, is that some @$$hats show their true colours:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58939716
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Jog on arsehole
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JBriskin3 said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

JBriskin3 said:

Chestfeeding I'd the new Winterval or bendy bananas.
    ‘Yer can’t even menshun breastfeedin’ without bein’ arrested nowadays’
    Yes the sexuality debate is all shits and giggles if you're an SNP Type
    You are a moron of the highest order , why not crawl back under your rock and disappear again.
    Good God man. Three posts in succession that add nothing and are simply unpleasant. Everyone knows you're capable of wise, reasoned and witty comment. Do try.
  • Options

It is all bollox in any case
  • Options
    Verdict: possibly the best Frieze ever

The Standard agrees with me

"Perhaps I’m swayed by the relief of seeing the art world returning to normal, but I can’t remember a better looking Frieze London than this."

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/exhibitions/frieze-london-2021-art-fair-best-b960418.html

Absolutely jammed. Visitors from all over the world. Sales pinging.

London will not be beaten
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

If you are prepped for it you anoint, and give them a communion wafer. Presumably a random passing priest would not have those about his person, but would just say a prayer sort of thing. I am appalled he wasn't allowed to do even that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Verdict: possibly the best Frieze ever

The Standard agrees with me

"Perhaps I’m swayed by the relief of seeing the art world returning to normal, but I can’t remember a better looking Frieze London than this."

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/exhibitions/frieze-london-2021-art-fair-best-b960418.html

Absolutely jammed. Visitors from all over the world. Sales pinging.

London will not be beaten

Not my thing (Frieze) , but the resurrection of arts etc in London is most welcome. I wonder to what extent the spring (morphically) will visit those areas that have become really dead. Great to wave the London flag even if it looks like Boris on a highwire.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Beg to differ. It makes a positive difference in the north of the UK to have light mornings, at least, for the morning travel and morning hound-walk.
    Then let's have two different time zones, like many other countries. If we can have two different Parliaments and legal sytems, having two different times in North and South Britain shouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility.
This discussion has been closed.