Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting markets are over-stating Andy Burnham’s chances of succeeding Starmer – politicalbetting

Comments

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    tlg86 said:

Brom said:

The BBC are a disgrace for showing that. They should have cut back to the studio immediately. I couldn’t watch that, was ghoulish.

To be honest, anyone is free to turn off.
    Yes, we should definitely get in the habit of filming people dying. The option and decision was to not have this sick invasive footage going into millions of homes. I appreciate the pundits were underprepared but that’s live TV.

I did switch over but then of course I didn’t know when it was safe to switch back.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,334

kle4 said:

I feel sick - the cameras even looked for angles to get christian's face as he was lying face down...

Awful awful scenes.

That's pretty strange - usually when there's a serious injury they don't even show replays, and a collapse is clearly serious.
    It is the host broadcaster who did that.

It is interesting that in the UK when there's a serious leg smashing type injury in a domestic match Sky and BT don't show a replay but in Europe they do,
    I remember many years ago,New Zealand flanker Michael Jones had a bad injury in a game and they showed that.

David Busst too. His leg went to places a leg shouldn’t go
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032
    gealbhan said:

Andy_JS said:

Is Boris Johnson a cricket fan? I don't think so, I've never seen him at a match or talk about the game.

Boris Johnson’s decision to play cricket day after Brexit victory cost him chance to be PM, reveals book on the secrets of Tory bust-up

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1684920/boris-johnsons-decision-to-play-cricket-day-after-brexit-victory-cost-him-chance-to-be-pm-reveals-book-on-the-secrets-of-tory-bust-up/
    He was at a game at the oval, I remember the booing when he appeared on the screen.
    Can he bat? Cos there may be several opportunities.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    edited June 2021
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I want to know is how the virus got from the Wuhan lab, ie the BSL-2 CDC facility where they did much of the research, all the way across the city to the market?

I mean, how could that happen?

What I love about the

That could be a photo of Croydon with Chinese place names turned on.
    As cellphone-data-suggests-october-shutdown-wuhan-lab-experts-n1202716

And about 1,000 other examples.
    No, that’s the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a BSL-4 lab about 10km from the market (I think)

Since the plague began, the scientists in Wuhan have admitted much of their work was done in lower level BSL-2 ancillary labs

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/

‘Much of Shi’s work on gain-of-function in coronaviruses was performed at the BSL2 safety level, as is stated in her publications and other documents. She has said in an interview with Science magazine that “[t]he coronavirus research in our laboratory is conducted in BSL-2 or BSL-3 laboratories.”’

One of these is alleged to be the Wuhan ‘CDC’. I happily confess I can’t prove that’s it in the photo. But I have seen several maps which show the BSL-2 and 3 labs are much nearer the market

As ever, you bluster loudly but you’re embarrassingly ill-informed
    Sorry: there is literally ZERO evidence that that photo is of either the wet market or the the Wuhan lab.

It's a photo. With circles on it. Providence unknown.

One of the circles says "Wuhan CDC". Which doesn't exist,

The other says "Market".

And I'm the one ill informed?

Are you high?
    You didn’t even do your ‘ten seconds of research’ to find out if there were multiple labs in Wuhan. There are. Oh dear.
    You don't even know that photo is from Wuhan.

The only thing we know for sure is that "Wuhan CDC" doesn't exist.

And I'm the one not doing my research?
    I HAVE done my research. I’m 99% sure that is a map of central Wuhan. And it correctly identifies the Wuhan wet market

However the circled building appears to be a Ramen bar. Which, I confess, does not sound like an evil bioweapon lab

That said, right next door is a research hospital. Who knows. Where are the other, lower level labs? It’s quite an important detail

I did the same search on Google :smile:

Two things: 1. That's a seafood market, so are we sure that's the alleged wet market, anyway? And 2. If you look around the images, the hospital is in the middle of some really fancy office and hotel space.
    Yes, it’s the same market

Tsk, Robert. This took TEN SECONDS OF RESEARCH

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huanan_Seafood_Wholesale_Market

The Wuhan Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market (Chinese: 武汉华南海鲜批发市场),[1][2] also known as the Huanan Seafood Market[3] (Huanan means 'South China'), was a live animal and seafood market in Jianghan District, Wuhan City, the capital of Hubei Province in Central China.

The market became widely known worldwide after being identified as the 'Ground Zero'…
    So, it's down to a simple question: was "Wuhan CDC" (which doesn't exist) actually the lab, or was it a noodle bar?
    Well, it looks like I’m right and you’re wrong. AGAIN

Check this thread, it links to a live Baidu map which confirms the other red circle is basically correct. That’s the Wuhan Jianghan Disease Prevention and Control Centre

‘The location on the map linked on project-evidence.github.io has changed since the screenshot. Chinese locations have not been accurate on Google Maps in the past, due to restrictions. The correct walking distance between Huanan Seafood Market and Wuhan CDC is most likely 0.5km.’

https://github.com/Project-Evidence/project-evidence.github.io/issues/14

And yes, it exists. Check the affiliations at the end

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2008-3
    Yes. It looks like you are right, and I am wrong.
    Has he proved the lab theory now then? - With that photo?
    The journalist Amy Maxmen who Leon referred to earlier has got herself in trouble over a photo too. She claimed it had been doctored and she had never met Peter Daszak, but it was from a 90 minute panel she took part in with him.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    Prayers for Eriksen.
    It’s very distressing.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

The BBC are a disgrace for showing that. They should have cut back to the studio immediately. I couldn’t watch that, was ghoulish.

Yes, we should definitely get in the habit of filming people dying. The option and decision was to not have this sick invasive footage going into millions of homes. I appreciate the pundits were underprepared but that’s live TV.

I did switch over but then of course I didn’t know when it was safe to switch back.
    I guess it's because I've grown up watching motorsports where death and serious injury are sadly much more commonplace (albeit, a lot rarer than the bad old days).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    Taz said:

kle4 said:

I feel sick - the cameras even looked for angles to get christian's face as he was lying face down...

Awful awful scenes.

That's pretty strange - usually when there's a serious injury they don't even show replays, and a collapse is clearly serious.

It is interesting that in the UK when there's a serious leg smashing type injury in a domestic match Sky and BT don't show a replay but in Europe they do,
    I remember many years ago,New Zealand flanker Michael Jones had a bad injury in a game and they showed that.

A few years ago I went to a talk by Derek Pringle and he said the only time he wanted to commit violence on a cricket pitch was in New Zealand, David Lawrence had done his knee cap in, the screams still haunt him.

However there was a New Zealand TV cameraman and reporter that decided to try and film Lawrence being stretchered away (and ask him questions.)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,023
    edited June 2021
    edit
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,407

Prayers for Eriksen.
    It’s very distressing.

Just heard the news

Prayers for him and his family

Utterly distressing and may he make a full recovery
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

Why would you want to switch back? Someone was in your perhaps overdramatised view "dying" but you hoped there was a chance of the march was being continued?
  • Options

Stable and recovering.
    Thank god.

That’s great if true. It looked very bleak for him. Thank God it happened with top medics on site and presumably defibrillators on hand. If that happened at home or the training ground I think we know the outcome.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Awful awful scenes.

A few years ago I went to a talk by Derek Pringle and he said the only time he wanted to commit violence on a cricket pitch was in New Zealand, David Lawrence had done his knee cap in, the screams still haunt him.

However there was a New Zealand TV cameraman and reporter that decided to try and film Lawrence being stretchered away (and ask him questions.)
    I think Russell did whack him.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited June 2021
    England have got this.

Edit: that was good timing
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

I guess it's because I've grown up watching motorsports where death and serious injury are sadly much more commonplace (albeit, a lot rarer than the bad old days).
    One guy burnt to death in a French GP, and the camera showed it all.

Didn’t someone go into harbour at Monaco?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited June 2021
    Apologies for the inappropriate betting post but….

Betfair suspended euro outright market

Denmark out from 25/1 to 50/1 before suspension.

Not that betting matters right now.

Let’s hope the positive rumour via @Gardenwalker is true.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

Why would you want to switch back? Someone was in your perhaps overdramatised view "dying" but you hoped there was a chance of the march was being continued?
    Probably because I wanted an update on his condition without watching him lying motionless on the floor? I feel that’s quite a normal approach to these things.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

One guy burnt to death in a French GP, and the camera showed it all.

Didn’t someone go into harbour at Monaco?
    Thankfully before my time. I do remember watching the 2000 Italian GP and the helicopter camera showed CPR being performed on a marshall who had been struck by debris.
  • Options
    ping said:

Let’s hope the positive rumours are true.

As with the next PM market, it shouldn't be suspended.
  • Options
    ping said:

Let’s hope the positive rumours are true.

I got them at 50/1 a few weeks ago. If he does pull through I imagine his football career is over. Of course this could galvanise Denmark but equally it could ruin their focus. Just delighted to hear he’s apparently recovering.
  • Options
    Brom said:

IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

Probably because I wanted an update on his condition without watching him lying motionless on the floor? I feel that’s quite a normal approach to these things.
    Fair enough, assuming you know or are related to him.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Broad once scored 169 in a test match. What happened? I know he could hit once but that was more than 10 years ago IIRC.
  • Options

Stable and recovering.
    Thank god.

Where did this report come from?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    edited June 2021
    From The Guardian Live Blog:

"There are pictures in circulation from a reputable news organisation which I have seen, that suggest Eriksen was conscious and wearing an oxygen mask as left the pitch on a stretcher. We can but hope they are genuine."
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Broad once scored 169 in a test match. What happened? I know he could hit once but that was more than 10 years ago IIRC.

Well the match he scored 169 in saw several of the opposition bowlers end up in prison because of their performance.

But once he got smashed in the face he hasn't been the same since.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Stable and recovering.
    Thank god.

This image is doing the rounds:

https://twitter.com/vaziyetcomtr/status/1403766064048181255/photo/1
  • Options
    UEFA

Following the medical emergency involving Denmark’s player Christian Eriksen, a crisis meeting has taken place with both teams and match officials and further information will be communicated at 19:45 CET.

The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised.

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403765507682193409?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

Hello sociopath

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    edited June 2021
    *Deleted* Already posted
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    Well, now. I have an interesting dilemma.

My name has been put forward for a piece of work.
    1st conversation: sounds like an interesting - if bizarre - enforcement case. Middle Eastern connection. Usually means a right royal pain in the arse. Not clear what is required but, yes, in principle interested. Tell me more.
    Email received: as expected underlying clients have, how can I put this, a controversial background. Suspect that there is much much more to this than meets the eye.

Have not seen any of the evidence. Not been instructed and may not be. Not clear what is required yet.

Do I wait to see more?
    Make clear now that if instructed will give my honest opinion not simply what they want to hear - yes.
    Ask for payment on account - most definitely.
    Run a mile - on grounds that don't want to be tainted and/or have summer ruined as usual by crooks?

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Well that test was infamous for “other things”. But regardless he’s a tailender. Sometimes he gets useful runs, sometimes he looks like he’s never played the game. It’s well known being hit affected him quite badly. He’s never really got into line since - hence why he so often gets bowled. But if he survives a few overs and gets his eye in he can do some damage.

But essentially, if he could be relied upon, he wouldn’t be batting at 10.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I want to know is how the virus got from the Wuhan lab, ie the BSL-2 CDC facility where they did much of the research, all the way across the city to the market?

What I love about the

No, that’s the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a BSL-4 lab about 10km from the market (I think)

Since the plague began, the scientists in Wuhan have admitted much of their work was done in lower level BSL-2 ancillary labs

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/

‘Much of Shi’s work on gain-of-function in coronaviruses was performed at the BSL2 safety level, as is stated in her publications and other documents. She has said in an interview with Science magazine that “[t]he coronavirus research in our laboratory is conducted in BSL-2 or BSL-3 laboratories.”’

One of these is alleged to be the Wuhan ‘CDC’. I happily confess I can’t prove that’s it in the photo. But I have seen several maps which show the BSL-2 and 3 labs are much nearer the market

Sorry: there is literally ZERO evidence that that photo is of either the wet market or the the Wuhan lab.

The other says "Market".

Are you high?
    You didn’t even do your ‘ten seconds of research’ to find out if there were multiple labs in Wuhan. There are. Oh dear.

I HAVE done my research. I’m 99% sure that is a map of central Wuhan. And it correctly identifies the Wuhan wet market

However the circled building appears to be a Ramen bar. Which, I confess, does not sound like an evil bioweapon lab

That said, right next door is a research hospital. Who knows. Where are the other, lower level labs? It’s quite an important detail

Two things: 1. That's a seafood market, so are we sure that's the alleged wet market, anyway? And 2. If you look around the images, the hospital is in the middle of some really fancy office and hotel space.

The Wuhan Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market (Chinese: 武汉华南海鲜批发市场),[1][2] also known as the Huanan Seafood Market[3] (Huanan means 'South China'), was a live animal and seafood market in Jianghan District, Wuhan City, the capital of Hubei Province in Central China.

The market became widely known worldwide after being identified as the 'Ground Zero'…
    So, it's down to a simple question: was "Wuhan CDC" (which doesn't exist) actually the lab, or was it a noodle bar?

Check this thread, it links to a live Baidu map which confirms the other red circle is basically correct. That’s the Wuhan Jianghan Disease Prevention and Control Centre

‘The location on the map linked on project-evidence.github.io has changed since the screenshot. Chinese locations have not been accurate on Google Maps in the past, due to restrictions. The correct walking distance between Huanan Seafood Market and Wuhan CDC is most likely 0.5km.’

No, he had not proven it.

Proof - either way - may never come, especially if it was a low level escape, and was covered up.

If the virus is discovered in the wild, that would clearly be a big boost for the wild theory. But remember it took six years to find the specific host of SARS and we've never found the hosts of either HIV/AIDS or Ebola.

Also, even if it is found in the wild, it doesn't mean that it wasn't captured and then escaped.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032
    CatMan said:

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403765507682193409?s=20

"Following the medical emergency involving Denmark’s player Christian Eriksen, a crisis meeting has taken place with both teams and match officials and further information will be communicated at 19:45 CET.

The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised."

That is better news. The stadium is very close to the top hospital I hear.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

alex_ said:

Stable and recovering.
    Thank god.

This image is doing the rounds:

https://twitter.com/vaziyetcomtr/status/1403766064048181255/photo/1
    That’s great, thanks.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I love about the

The other says "Market".

Are you high?

Proof - either way - may never come, especially if it was a low level escape, and was covered up.

If the virus is discovered in the wild, that would clearly be a big boost for the wild theory. But remember it took six years to find the specific host of SARS and we've never found the hosts of either HIV/AIDS or Ebola.

Also, even if it is found in the wild, it doesn't mean that it wasn't captured and then escaped.
    So Leon and Trump just rattle on for ever without ever being disproved and never proving a thing?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,046
    I see Bozo is trying to deflect from the 21st June delay by trying to pick a fight with the EU. The so called oven ready deal was a dogs dinner and now the fat oaf goes to his tiresome sovereignty bollocks when he was the one that signed upto sticking the border in the Irish Sea.

• Options
    Brom said:

IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

Hello sociopath

Words like ersatz and vicarious are floating round my mind looking for a noun to adhere to.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Came on here to post something about the cricket and read about Christian instead. Jeez how horrific. Hope he pulls through.

Puts everything into context.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403765507682193409?s=20

"Following the medical emergency involving Denmark’s player Christian Eriksen, a crisis meeting has taken place with both teams and match officials and further information will be communicated at 19:45 CET.

The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised."

That is better news. The stadium is very close to the top hospital I hear.
    Yup.

Fabrice Muamba was fortunate that when he had his episode that there was a Spurs fan who was also a cardiologist at the match who made himself known to the stewards and medical staff.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    Cyclefree said:

1st conversation: sounds like an interesting - if bizarre - enforcement case. Middle Eastern connection. Usually means a right royal pain in the arse. Not clear what is required but, yes, in principle interested. Tell me more.
    Email received: as expected underlying clients have, how can I put this, a controversial background. Suspect that there is much much more to this than meets the eye.

Have not seen any of the evidence. Not been instructed and may not be. Not clear what is required yet.

Do I wait to see more?
    Make clear now that if instructed will give my honest opinion not simply what they want to hear - yes.
    Run a mile - on grounds that don't want to be tainted and/or have summer ruined as usual by crooks?

Depends who you are as a character and on past experience.

If a proper risk taker and happy with risk here, you find out more, ensure that the money up front is more than they imagine it would be and go ahead, once you have seen the colour of the money, prepared to have to decline on professional grounds later on if necessary.

If you are from character or experience more cautious avoid like plague.
  • Options
    Eriksen: sounds like good news.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I love about the

The other says "Market".

Are you high?

I switched to CNN to escape the UK media’s saturation coverage of the most inaccessible G7 summit ever, and their lead story was Covid Vaccines giving children heart problems. 😕. What can you tell us about that one Bob?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2021
    Just seen it....that looked just like when ny father had a massive heart attack.
  • Options
    Brom said:

IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

Hello sociopath

We don't need to get angry with each other because of what happened in the match.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I love about the

The other says "Market".

Are you high?

I switched to CNN to escape the UK media’s saturation coverage of the most inaccessible G7 summit ever, and their lead story was Covid Vaccines giving children heart problems. 😕. What can you tell us about that one Bob?
    FDA very close to linking Pfizer to myocarditis apparently. (At level of “small risk obviously but...)

Back to AZ for all?
  • Options

Came on here to post something about the cricket and read about Christian instead. Jeez how horrific. Hope he pulls through.

Puts everything into context.

If he is awake sounds like it may have been more electrical than a stroke.
    Could live to good old age, but not play again probably.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

Stable and recovering.
    Thank god.

Good to hear.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Just seen it....that looked just like when ny father had a massive heart attack.

Had the incident on live. Completely by chance: put the thing on for background noise whilst I was doing the ironing.

Without giving a blow-by-blow account, it looked to me as if his heart had stopped before he hit the ground. If he comes through this in one piece he can count himself lucky, I think.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I love about the

The other says "Market".

Are you high?

FDA very close to linking Pfizer to myocarditis apparently. (At level of “small risk obviously but...)

Back to AZ for all?
    I thought Pfizer was the Daddy 🙁
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    nico679 said:

I see Bozo is trying to deflect from the 21st June delay by trying to pick a fight with the EU. The so called oven ready deal was a dogs dinner and now the fat oaf goes to his tiresome sovereignty bollocks when he was the one that signed upto sticking the border in the Irish Sea.

History will record that Boris had three choices: remain (a suicidal hospital pass and only theoretical, but it was there); no deal; a deal which was politically bad in relation to Ireland. No other options existed.

His critics have the luxury, like DUP politicians, of expounding at length what they didn't want but need to note that no other possibility would get through parliament (though of course remain was not tried). (Remain, it is fair to say, would have demolished the balance of UK politics in unforeseeable and catastrophic ways.) The critics, just like the DUP, have not yet come up with a fourth option which would have got through the EU and parliament.

So the question for history will be not was Boris perfect (he wasn't) but were there better options at the time. No.

Boris opted for Get Out. Watch it fail. Renegotiate with an EU once we can all see it must be done. That's what he is doing.

• Options

Had the incident on live. Completely by chance: put the thing on for background noise whilst I was doing the ironing.

Without giving a blow-by-blow account, it looked to me as if his heart had stopped before he hit the ground. If he comes through this in one piece he can count himself lucky, I think.
    Possibly lucky this happened in a stadium and not at home, unless something on the pitch was a trigger.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

History will record that Boris had three choices: remain (a suicidal hospital pass and only theoretical, but it was there); no deal; a deal which was politically bad in relation to Ireland. No other options existed.

His critics have the luxury, like DUP politicians, of expounding at length what they didn't want but need to note that no other possibility would get through parliament (though of course remain was not tried). (Remain, it is fair to say, would have demolished the balance of UK politics in unforeseeable and catastrophic ways.) The critics, just like the DUP, have not yet come up with a fourth option which would have got through the EU and parliament.

So the question for history will be not was Boris perfect (he wasn't) but were there better options at the time. No.

Boris opted for Get Out. Watch it fail. Renegotiate with an EU once we can all see it must be done. That's what he is doing.

Membership of the Common Market or even just signing up to aligning standards for agriculture.

Would have passed parliament and EU would have agreed.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

It was the most sensible option by far.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Brom said:

IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

IshmaelZ said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Brom said:

Hello sociopath

We don't need to get angry with each other because of what happened in the match.
    Are you new to PB?
  • Options

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Why not accept aligning UK agriculture standards to the EU and signing up to that ?

UK famers are happy with that and would not stop trade deals with US etc.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Membership of the Common Market or even just signing up to aligning standards for agriculture.

No it wouldn't pass Parliament. Remember the indicative votes - that was put forwards and was rejected. 🤦‍♂️

Plus at the referendum we didn't vote to Remain either.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

I think that proposal needs fleshing out a bit

• Options

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

No it wouldn't pass Parliament. Remember the indicative votes - that was put forwards and was rejected. 🤦‍♂️

I reckon would have passed, easily.

Aligning agricultural standards to the EU is leaving the EU.

It is just your ideology standing in the way and causing the rise in tensions in N Ireland in doing so.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Why not accept aligning UK agriculture standards to the EU and signing up to that ?

Because we voted to take back control.

Having our own rules is literally what Boris and Vote Leave campaigned on in 2016, so entirely right to campaign on and negotiate that in 2019 too.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Possibly lucky this happened in a stadium and not at home, unless something on the pitch was a trigger.
    Probably the best possible place outside of a hospital.

Who can say what causes these things to happen? A certain number of perfectly fit and healthy people simply drop like this each year for no apparent reason. A medically knowledgeable personage might have some ideas.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

It is just your ideology standing in the way and causing the rise in tensions in N Ireland in doing so.
    If it would have passed, why was it rejected in the indicative votes?

Of course my ideology rejects it and my ideology has no more of a reason to bow down to alignment, than telling the Irish they must leave the EU with us. Any solution needs to recognise that Ireland wants to remain and we want to leave and treat all parties with respect.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Having our own rules is literally what Boris and Vote Leave campaigned on in 2016, so entirely right to campaign on and negotiate that in 2019 too.
    You are changing what you are saying.

It is purely your ideology getting in the way of aligning agriculture standards to the EU.

It aligns to the 2016 referendum result, it deals with the N Ireland issues.

It is an option, one that would work.

Your ideology stands in its way though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    alex_ said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I love about the

The other says "Market".

Are you high?

Back to AZ for all?
    Pfizer has greater neutralising efficacy. We just need advice not to exercise for a few days after. Do we actually want herd immunity or not ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

You are changing what you are saying.

It is purely your ideology getting in the way of aligning agriculture standards to the EU.

It aligns to the 2016 referendum result, it deals with the N Ireland issues.

It is an option, one that would work.

Your ideology stands in its way though.
    Aren't standards already perfectly aligned?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,398

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Like taking back control of the ice cream vending machine on the deck of the Titanic, purely mythical control.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Of course my ideology rejects it and my ideology has no more of a reason to bow down to alignment, than telling the Irish they must leave the EU with us. Any solution needs to recognise that Ireland wants to remain and we want to leave and treat all parties with respect.
    Respect is always good. But the Conservative Party also claims to be hard-headed about markets. Losing access for food exports to the EU and Northern Ireland so that we can in theory lower our standards, while insisting that we don't actually want to, makes no sense.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Probably the best possible place outside of a hospital.

Who can say what causes these things to happen? A certain number of perfectly fit and healthy people simply drop like this each year for no apparent reason. A medically knowledgeable personage might have some ideas.
    Better screening of players these days you would think,

in the not too distant past

https://www.cricketcountry.com/articles/wilf-slack-tragic-tale-of-middlesex-hero-74591
  • Options

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Like taking back control of the ice cream vending machine on the deck of the Titanic, purely mythical control.
    If it is purely mythical, why are the EU kicking up such a fuss?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,379

Just had interesting gossip from my wife. She was at hairdresser this morning and staff and customers were all talking about how good Theresa Mays speech was (this is in a very working class district of Liverpool were nobody would spit on a Tory if he was on fire). They were also all angry about the extended lockdown and those who had not had both jabs were adamant they would not have any or more because “it’s obviously just not worth it”. Staff and clientele.
    I found that fascinating from a bunch of people who are really not political at all.

Andy_JS said:

Against Pakistan?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Whether it would have passed or not I don't know.

What I do believe though is the indicative votes process was utterly flawed, because unsurprisingly there was politics involved.

If there had been a genuine all party desire to find a solution a better process for the indicative votes could have been organised; as it was the government were essentially being held hostage to go through that process and fundamentally that meant it was worthless anyway.

The government didn't want to do it, most of the opposition only wanted to do it to embarrass the government, the whole thing was a shambles and there wasn't enough genuine voting going on in it.
  • Options
    Denmark FA say "Christian Eriksen is awake and his condition remains stable".

Also adds "the match against Finland will be played tonight. This happens after the players have been confirmed that Christian is okay. The match resumes at 20.30."

https://twitter.com/em_sandy/status/1403775378762735616
  • Options
    Amazing reaction from the fans...one set chanting Christian...the other Eriksen.
  • Options
    Never seen the Beeb get as much of a kicking across the spectrum as they have tonight
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370
    Cyclefree said:

Do I wait to see more?

Your approach sounds sensible. Generally, I don't think professionals are tarred by having some controversial clients - nobody blames lawyers who defend terrorists, for instance. And it does sound interesting!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Following the request made by players of both teams, UEFA has agreed to restart the match between Denmark and Finland tonight at 20:30 CET (TBC).

The last four minutes of the first half will be played, there will then be a 5-minute half-time break followed by the second half.

The match has been suspended due to a medical emergency which involved Denmark’s Christian Eriksen. The player in now in hospital and in a stable condition.

UEFA wishes Christian Eriksen a full and speedy recovery and wishes to thank both teams for their exemplary attitude.

Tonight’s UEFA EURO 2020 match between Belgium and Russia will go ahead at 21.00 CET as planned.

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403775827104370696
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    Andy_JS said:

It's not just that he had a big century, he used to semi-reliably hit 50s, so a bigger score wasn't a complete shock. Now he can hardly hold a bat, except when stars align and he smashes it about for an hour, it's hilarious.
  • Options

Also adds "the match against Finland will be played tonight. This happens after the players have been confirmed that Christian is okay. The match resumes at 20.30."

Oops. BBC have gone back to regular programming.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Do I wait to see more?

Your approach sounds sensible. Generally, I don't think professionals are tarred by having some controversial clients - nobody blames lawyers who defend terrorists, for instance. And it does sound interesting!
    Nobody?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    alex_ said:

They can surely cut off from a place in the country ?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577

My list of current leaders I have a view on, from serious to lightweight;

1. Merkel
    2. Biden
    3. Morrison
    4. Sturgeon
    3. Macron
    4. Putin
    5. Drakeford
    5. Trudeau
    6. Von der Leyen
    7. Ardern
    8. Johnson

You don't think Putin is that serious? He is a lot of things, but he is definitely serious, a serious threat to the world, to anybody who opposes him, any surrounding countries with any land he thinks is useful.
    He is not beyond dumb and desperate attention-grabbing manoeuvres (was my thinking).
    Your list seems a little politically-tinted to me. I wouldn't describe Biden as serious - the poor man is barely lucid.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

They’ll be complaints ;)
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Back on now,
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

Yes they are back now
  • Options
    Brom said:

Never seen the Beeb get as much of a kicking across the spectrum as they have tonight

BBC complaints department mail sack is going to be bulging like Graham Brady's when Boris announces anmonth delay....
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    edited June 2021
    We were talking about the Cornish economy yesterday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57444792.amp

Few sectors were hit harder by the impact of Brexit than fishing - in particular shellfish. The UK, in common with other non-EU countries, is now banned from exporting live unpurified mussels, scallops, oysters and clams into the EU - where 90% of them are bought and eaten.

The end of the Brexit transition period was catastrophic for Martin. His business disappeared on day one, he says. And while the government might be touting trade deals with countries like Australia or Canada, he can't imagine them replacing his lost markets, not least because they import very little shellfish.

The EU used to provide grants worth up to £100m a year over the last 20 years - including support for the Eden project. The government has promised that will be replaced by domestic grants from a new Shared Prosperity Fund - a pot of money available to all UK areas to which the chancellor has so far committed only £220m in total.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Do I wait to see more?

Do a good job and take the money.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    edited June 2021

Cyclefree said:

Do I wait to see more?

Thanks to all for your advice.

I need to do a bit more research on the client and see the evidence and also what they want me to do. If I can do a good job - and they want me, I will. But I have a sense that this will be complicated so will reserve judgment until I get more info. The money will undoubtedly be very good but my reputation matters more.

The test for me is if they want the benefit of my honest advice or if they simply want a more reputable spokesperson.
  • Options

Brom said:

BBC complaints department mail sack is going to be bulging like Graham Brady's when Boris announces anmonth delay....
    https://twitter.com/search?q=hit list&src=typed_query&f=live
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,398
    edited June 2021
    RobD said:

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Because the UK are breaking the rules they signed up for. Do you not know what a contract is? Have you never had a credit card or loan agreement or Sky account?

• Options

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Respect is always good. But the Conservative Party also claims to be hard-headed about markets. Losing access for food exports to the EU and Northern Ireland so that we can in theory lower our standards, while insisting that we don't actually want to, makes no sense.
    Good grief. You lot simply won’t accept the fact you lost the referendum will you?
    The reason we won is precisely the lack of respect for the wishes of the electorate you are now showing. You simply refuse to accept we want what we want. It is arrogance and a total and utter disgrace.
  • Options

RobD said:

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Because the UK are breaking the rules they signed up for. Do you not know what a contract is? Have you never had a credit card or loan agreement or Sky account?

I don't think that's the case. If it was they'd be going straight to arbitration. It's a political dispute.
  • Options
    The UK could align temporarily with EU food standards to help alleviate the NI issues but Bozo and the rest of the nutjobs have an unhinged obsession with sovereignty on steroids . It’s clear the government never had any intention of implementing the NI protocol as agreed in a Treaty signed only 6 months ago . In the meantime they’ve destroyed large sectors of the fishing industry.

Where is Farage , I thought he’d be on the case ! Although clearly having duped the fishermen he doesn’t want to show his ugly face .
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited June 2021
    Oh dear.

Goes from bad to worse for Denmark
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The UK could align temporarily with EU food standards to help alleviate the NI issues but Bozo and the rest of the nutjobs have an unhinged obsession with sovereignty on steroids . It’s clear the government never had any intention of implementing the NI protocol as agreed in a Treaty signed only 6 months ago . In the meantime they’ve destroyed large sectors of the fishing industry.

Where is Farage , I thought he’d be on the case ! Although clearly having duped the fishermen he doesn’t want to show his ugly face .

Food standards are currently in perfect alignment, there has been no divergence.
  • Options
    Latest poll from
    @OpiniumResearch

Con 43% +1
    Lab 34% -2
    Green 7% +2
    Lib Dem 6 ±0
    10-11 Jun; change since 27-28 May
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Do I wait to see more?

I need to do a bit more research on the client and see the evidence and also what they want me to do. If I can do a good job - and they want me, I will. But I have a sense that this will be complicated so will reserve judgment until I get more info. The money will undoubtedly be very good but my reputation matters more.

The test for me is if they want the benefit of my honest advice or if they simply want a more reputable spokesperson.
    And if they do? Provided they don't make you do or say anything that is in conflict with your personal ethics, I'd advise you to take it as a blessing and an opportunity.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,367
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Do I wait to see more?

Will it not detract from your waitressing though?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008

Latest poll from
    @OpiniumResearch

Con 43% +1
    Lab 34% -2
    Green 7% +2
    Lib Dem 6 ±0
    10-11 Jun; change since 27-28 May

Public want restrictions extended (54-37) according to that poll
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico679 said:

Food standards are currently in perfect alignment, there has been no divergence.
    Then why doesn’t the U.K. just sign up to keep those for a set time . The UK could sign the vet agreement and do away with 80% of the NI checks .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Then why doesn’t the U.K. just sign up to keep those for a set time . The UK could sign the vet agreement and do away with 80% of the NI checks .
    That doesn't solve the problem.
This discussion has been closed.