Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting markets are over-stating Andy Burnham’s chances of succeeding Starmer – politicalbetting

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited June 2021 in General
imageThe betting markets are over-stating Andy Burnham’s chances of succeeding Starmer – politicalbetting.com

Andy Burnham is riding high at the moment. The latest Ipsos MORI polling on who “has what it takes to be a good PM” had the Mayor of Greater Manchester with better net ratings than either BoJo or Sunak. He was on a net plus 11% with Sunak on a net plus 7% and Johnson on a net plus 2.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Where's a safe seat these days?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Manchester is not Britain's second city
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Pulpstar said:

*Gets popcorn*
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    I cant see anyone being an immediate good fit for Labour leader - it is almost ungovernable as an organisation. If pushed Lisa Nandy would be my choice.... I do have money on D Jarvis as the odds were unmissable
  • Options
    There are two big hurdles for him that are seldom mentioned – he’s not an MP and he is of the wrong gender.

If he really wanted to get back into the Commons, a way would be found.

You could have linked the second point to Starmer’s recent declaration that Labour’s policy is to allow self identification on gender.

I was going to say that the big problem is, as anyone round here will tell you, that he’s complete rubbish.

However, I realised that hasn’t been a recent barrier to high office so I can’t further fault you.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    What a twat. He looks like Vinnie Dingle.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    It isn't the person its the politics.

Lecturing and hectoring in a skirt or a different accent is not going to make a difference.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    The "Angela Rainer" typo is ideal for Manchester.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    The MP thing is the big one. I really don't see Labour finding putting off finding a female leader for another few years being much of a hurdle. They've been doing that for decades already.

I think Burnham has had a goodish pandemic, particularly recently. Most people in charge have, its an inevitable effect of doing things and lots of media attention. But he didn't really shine in the Commons before. King of the north looks a better bet for him to me.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733
    If Labour had adopted a "Ladies First" strategy back in 1994 they would, of course, have chosen Margaret Beckett as leader. How would that have panned out?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited June 2021
    I noticed that the current polling for Labour and the Conservatives was very similar to the state of play at the 2019 General Election. I had thought that Labour would lose the votes of young Corbynites to the Greens after Starmer sacked Jezza from the party, and it does seem that the Greens have seen an upturn in their polling as Labour have dropped. Looking at the last 10 polls and comparing them to the last 10 before the 2019 GE, you can see there has been a fair drop off in Labours predicted votes share amongst the youngest voters, so maybe that Lab>Greeen movement is really happening

The Con shares are remarkably static

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

It’s not even England’s. It might be the north wests
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Britain’s second city is, of course, Edinburgh.
    England’s is certainly York.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    The next Labour leader needs to be competent. It is irrelevant whether they are a woman or not.

Anyway, if Labour really believe in self-ID without any sort of medical diagnosis, Starmer could call himself a woman this afternoon. He'd still be useless.

Boris could then trump him by claiming to be a woman too and, hey presto, the Tories would have their third woman leader.

Just shows what a crock of shit self-ID is.

More seriously Burnham's proposals about the criminal justice system - while inspired by his concern for the Hillsborough families - have been lethally torn apart. He is another politician who thinks sentimentality is the only thing that should guide policy, in its own way as stupid and disastrous an approach as the current populist one. It'd be nice to have some politicians around who use their brains from time to time.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    edited June 2021

It isn't the person its the politics.

Lecturing and hectoring in a skirt or a different accent is not going to make a difference.

Quite. Yvette does that, once thought of as a future leader but her HIPS just didn't cut it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    DougSeal said:

Politics is as much about tone and sensibility as policy. Johnson gets that and most people on the left do not, which is why they keeps being surprised by how popular he is. The culture clash pits American-style earnestness and piety against British irreverence and perversity. Johnson’s clownishness happens to have found its perfect foil in the grimly humourless, relentlessly prosecutorial, technocratic and yes, deracinated tone of wokeism. Voters do not necessarily believe Johnson is competent, which will in the end be his downfall, but they do know he will never lecture them. He likes them too much.

https://ianleslie.substack.com/p/fights-and-flights

From the same piece -

The ‘culture war’ is at heart a culture clash, between British traditions and American cultural politics, the latter now exported globally thanks to the internet. Britain’s institutional elites have in recent years swallowed, rather uncritically, a whole set of concepts, slogans and jargon from the US. Many British voters are somewhere between unaware, wary of, or outright resistant to the new discourse, even as it has quickly become second nature to those who have adopted it.
    I thought this part was more resonant

The result is that even when elites are talking about something that in substance has widespread support, like anti-racism, the use of this imported lexicon can make the message feel jarring, alienating, and a little bit pathetic, as if we can no longer reflect on our society, or have our own game, without borrowing from - or literally confusing ourselves with - America.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Burnham could win anywhere realistic in the NW at the next GE probably even give Brady a run but there are safer options, Bolton, Heywood.
    He was an MP for 16 years though. Does he want to go back ?
    Clearly the best option for Labour but not 7-2 as the header points out
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

*Crunches contentedly*
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited June 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

What a twat. He looks like Vinnie Dingle.

Him?

You're right! But a bit older.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    Sadiq Khan has rather fallen out of favour, out to 20/1 with Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

*Crunches contentedly*
    Liverpool first
    Winchester second

Then meh!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    It really depends on who the woman is.

This reflects a vacuum of ideas.
  • Options

If Labour had adopted a "Ladies First" strategy back in 1994 they would, of course, have chosen Margaret Beckett as leader. How would that have panned out?

We’d all be driving at 3 miles an hour except on motorways, where it would be 50 with all the caravans in the fast lane.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865

Oooh, so close...

Glasgow is the second city of the Empire...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135

It really depends on who the woman is.

This reflects a vacuum of ideas.

Just don't mention fridges.

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    James Cleverly has just advised England supporters not to sing or shout tomorrow night because we know that is how the virus spreads.

Enjoy the football.....But safely....!!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Oooh, so close...

That would be Edinburgh's empire...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Oooh, so close...

Yes, but Oxford was the stand-by capital during the Civil War.

And Toronto might have been in WW2.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Cyclefree said:

The next Labour leader needs to be competent. It is irrelevant whether they are a woman or not.

Anyway, if Labour really believe in self-ID without any sort of medical diagnosis, Starmer could call himself a woman this afternoon. He'd still be useless.

Boris could then trump him by claiming to be a woman too and, hey presto, the Tories would have their third woman leader.

More seriously Burnham's proposals about the criminal justice system - while inspired by his concern for the Hillsborough families - have been lethally torn apart. He is another politician who thinks sentimentality is the only thing that should guide policy, in its own way as stupid and disastrous an approach as the current populist one. It'd be nice to have some politicians around who use their brains from time to time.

Dangerous too, don't you think? Be careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Politics is as much about tone and sensibility as policy. Johnson gets that and most people on the left do not, which is why they keeps being surprised by how popular he is. The culture clash pits American-style earnestness and piety against British irreverence and perversity. Johnson’s clownishness happens to have found its perfect foil in the grimly humourless, relentlessly prosecutorial, technocratic and yes, deracinated tone of wokeism. Voters do not necessarily believe Johnson is competent, which will in the end be his downfall, but they do know he will never lecture them. He likes them too much.

From the same piece -

The ‘culture war’ is at heart a culture clash, between British traditions and American cultural politics, the latter now exported globally thanks to the internet. Britain’s institutional elites have in recent years swallowed, rather uncritically, a whole set of concepts, slogans and jargon from the US. Many British voters are somewhere between unaware, wary of, or outright resistant to the new discourse, even as it has quickly become second nature to those who have adopted it.

The result is that even when elites are talking about something that in substance has widespread support, like anti-racism, the use of this imported lexicon can make the message feel jarring, alienating, and a little bit pathetic, as if we can no longer reflect on our society, or have our own game, without borrowing from - or literally confusing ourselves with - America.
    The women's football part is spot on. If something is good people will watch it, you don't have to pretend that everything about it is wonderful and nothing about it is rubbish, people will see through it. Toxic Positivity - great phrase
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Dangerous too, don't you think? Be careful what you wish for.
    Seems unlikely we’ll have a chance to find out, given politicians would need to *have* brains before they could use them, so I shouldn’t worry.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, I can't be wasting time on here. I have masks to burn, paving stones to rip up and a depressed Daughter to console.

If you see a furious middle aged woman swearing creatively at Boris in 3 languages while beating him round the head for, well, everything, that'll be me. I'll be calling you all as character witnesses at the trial.

Bye!

Should it get to trial, I’d presume a Spartacus situation. Enjoy your day!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, I can't be wasting time on here. I have masks to burn, paving stones to rip up and a depressed Daughter to console.

If you see a furious middle aged woman swearing creatively at Boris in 3 languages while beating him round the head for, well, everything, that'll be me. I'll be calling you all as character witnesses at the trial.

Bye!

Oddly, I’ll also be calling you as a witness that the fat, balding bloke in his 30s who was beating Johnson round the head with a fecking massive trolley containing a large number of exercise books that he’s sick of carrying between 15 classrooms in a week due to the demented ideas of the DfE was in fact desecrating a corpse and not committing murder.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Oooh, so close...

There is, of course, an oft-quoted joke about how Liverpudlians regard London as England's second city.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    I am in the unusual situation on here of saying something nice about Boris Johnson when everyone else is castigating him, but I think he is doing a good job of genial host at G7 in Cornwall.

In diplomatic terms the G7 is a missed opportunity for the UK, but the issues there go beyond event management. The really significant diplomatic shift, the biggest for some years, is Biden's move to establish a new American world order and to bring the remaining liberal democracies into it. His scope is ambitious. A Transatlantic settlement would have been music to the ears of a previous UK administration but the UK burnt the transatlantic bridge role with Brexit. The key prospect for Biden's pitch is the EU with the UK somewhat sidelined.

On Covid measures, I mostly agree with @DavidL. We have to deal with the virus situation as it is, and not as we might hope it to be. I do think the vaccine risk assessments are sound, from what I have seen, and the UK vaccine rollout remains pretty good.

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Dealing with the virus isn’t really a competition but many of us pointed out that the UK’s vaccine rollout was much better than others. The assumption was we’d get out of lockdown ahead of them. But the delay in restricting travel from India means that this now won’t happen.
    https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1403617838972248065

Will the Prime Minister ever learn not to govern by wishful thinking alone? That six week delay in closing borders with India is exactly why we cannot unlock fully now. This is on him. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/11/covid-cases-in-england-rising-at-fastest-rate-since-winter-wave?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This is complete nonsense. The idea that we were going to stop the delta variant catching hold in this country is a fantasy unless we turn ourselves into NZ. What has stopped us from going ahead on 21st June is the poor effort with vaccines over the last month. That in turn has been driven by a failure to make the best use of the available resources, specifically AZ. That in turn has been driven by very poor risk assessments and a peculiar lack of urgency in maximising vaccination.

There is plenty to criticise the government for but failing to stop a more transmissible variant of a virus in broad circulation is not one of them. Something like 90%+ of cases are now delta. If we had started with a lower base by reducing the number of cases imported we would still have got there pretty rapidly.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

James Cleverly has just advised England supporters not to sing or shout tomorrow night because we know that is how the virus spreads.

But booing OK?

Anyway, there is far more danger in the pubs than at the game.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

The women's football part is spot on. If something is good people will watch it, you don't have to pretend that everything about it is wonderful and nothing about it is rubbish, people will see through it. Toxic Positivity - great phrase
    Yes though it reminded me of a '90s joke on Fantasy Football about how there was never a bad match on Sky - at least according to the pundits. The free to air channels were presumably more willing back then to call a spade a spade. Hyperbole sells.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Just think it could be worse. We could be the lockdown nightmare of New Zealand where *checks notes* they have had completely unrestricted crowds at the rugby for almost a year now.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Cyclefree said:

No one is perfect, we all have our flaws. The modern world is increasingly complicated and politicians have to operate within that reality.

One thing I have learned from this pandemic is that making important decisions, where there are undeniable tradeoffs, is very hard.

Much of the abstract pontificating on this site is so far from the difficult realities of the situation, that it is almost comical.

However, when reality does bite then a collective wailing and crying occurs, as evidenced by many posts last night.

We could all, myself included, do with a little more humility in the face of this dreadful virus in the context of a globally connected world. There are no easy choices or decisions.

Cummings summed it up quite well: 'Who do we save?'
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

Is it sexist to point out the standard of some women's sport is terrible e.g cricket ?

There are a whole number of reasons why, and you can sugar coat it as much are you like, but outside a handful of players, none would get near a men's semi-pro local league team.

Women's basketball is another example. They have pushed and pushed and pushed it in the US and nobody watches the WNBA because the standard is crap.

Then there is the other extreme, women's athletes, your average man could train morning, noon and night, and still never compete against that standard.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Oooh, so close...

There is, of course, an oft-quoted joke about how Liverpudlians regard London as England's second city.
    Scousers consider Manchester as the capital?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Oooh, so close...

*Snarls at empty carton, runs to the kitchen, fetches new one*
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Alistair said:

Just think it could be worse. We could be the lockdown nightmare of New Zealand where *checks notes* they have had completely unrestricted crowds at the rugby for almost a year now.
    Under New Zealand rules we wouldn't be able to host Euro 2020 football matches. They don't have exception to quarantine for visiting sports teams. In fact i'm not quite sure how their international teams in things like football and rugby can exist at the moment. Cricket is different - you can justify 10 days quarantine at the start (or end for New Zealand) of a tour.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    FF43 said:

I am in the unusual situation on here of saying something nice about Boris Johnson when everyone else is castigating him, but I think he is doing a good job of genial host at G7 in Cornwall.

In diplomatic terms the G7 is a missed opportunity for the UK, but the issues there go beyond event management. The really significant diplomatic shift, the biggest for some years, is Biden's move to establish a new American world order and to bring the remaining liberal democracies into it. His scope is ambitious. A Transatlantic settlement would have been music to the ears of a previous UK administration but the UK burnt the transatlantic bridge role with Brexit. The key prospect for Biden's pitch is the EU with the UK somewhat sidelined.

On Covid measures, I mostly agree with @DavidL. We have to deal with the virus situation as it is, and not as we might hope it to be. I do think the vaccine risk assessments are sound, from what I have seen, and the UK vaccine rollout remains pretty good.

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Dealing with the virus isn’t really a competition but many of us pointed out that the UK’s vaccine rollout was much better than others. The assumption was we’d get out of lockdown ahead of them. But the delay in restricting travel from India means that this now won’t happen.

Will the Prime Minister ever learn not to govern by wishful thinking alone? That six week delay in closing borders with India is exactly why we cannot unlock fully now. This is on him. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/11/covid-cases-in-england-rising-at-fastest-rate-since-winter-wave?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This is complete nonsense. The idea that we were going to stop the delta variant catching hold in this country is a fantasy unless we turn ourselves into NZ. What has stopped us from going ahead on 21st June is the poor effort with vaccines over the last month. That in turn has been driven by a failure to make the best use of the available resources, specifically AZ. That in turn has been driven by very poor risk assessments and a peculiar lack of urgency in maximising vaccination.

There is plenty to criticise the government for but failing to stop a more transmissible variant of a virus in broad circulation is not one of them. Something like 90%+ of cases are now delta. If we had started with a lower base by reducing the number of cases imported we would still have got there pretty rapidly.
    I partly agree - though I wouldn’t class the UK as sidelined. It generally pulls alongside most USA common goals, is usually a dependable ally for them, and at least has a unified foreign policy.

The EU on the other hand..
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Oooh, so close...

Only one, whose photo happens to adorn this thread.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113

Canterbury would like an ecclesiastical word about that.

(I’m from Canterbury and my Dad’s from York. This was not an academic dispute in our house)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    A tiny question. Under Labour's actual rules do you have to be an MP to be leader of the party? I once tried to look it up in Labour's rules and gave up the will to live before finding anything that said you had to be.

Obvs it isn't going to happen but it is still an interesting question. Anyone know?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Alistair said:

Under New Zealand rules we wouldn't be able to host Euro 2020 football matches. They don't have exception to quarantine for visiting sports teams. In fact i'm not quite sure how their international teams in things like football and rugby can exist at the moment. Cricket is different - you can justify 10 days quarantine at the start (or end for New Zealand) of a tour.
    They’re supposed to be joint hosting the Women’s Football WC in a couple of years with Australia. How’s that going to work?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

A tiny question. Under Labour's actual rules do you have to be an MP to be leader of the party? I once tried to look it up in Labour's rules and gave up the will to live before finding anything that said you had to be.

Obvs it isn't going to happen but it is still an interesting question. Anyone know?

You can’t have looked that hard. Clause VII section 1 subsection A2:

The leader and deputy leader of the Party shall be elected or re-elected from among Commons members of the PLP in accordance with procedural rule Chapter 4 Clause II below, at a Party conference convened in accordance with clause VI above. I

https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/rulebook-2020.pdf#page8
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Our PM is indeed doing a reasonable job of being the genial host in Cornwall.

I am though waiting for the moment when Biden says to the EU leaders 'Well, we appear to be in agreement, and Mr Johnson has signed up'. And they all say "We've got an agreement like that. And he reneged on it in 6 months.'

And good morning one and all.

And, although I'm sure Ms Cyclefree has gone, there is a pub ;locally where one of the senior staff has, apparently tested Covid-positive and it's meant many of the staff have to isolate, too. With the result that the pub has had to close.
  • Options

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I misread that as ‘genital host.’ What’s disturbing is it still made perfect sense.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

Is it sexist to point out the standard of some women's sport is terrible e.g cricket ?

There are a whole number of reasons why, and you can sugar coat it as much are you like, but outside a handful of players, none would get near a men's semi-pro local league team.

Women's basketball is another example. They have pushed and pushed and pushed it in the US and nobody watches the WNBA because the standard is crap.

Then there is the other extreme, women's athletes, your average man could train morning, noon and night, and still never compete against that standard.
    Cricket seems an interesting one to me - given some of the best players in Cricket are not the biggest, fastest or strongest physically, my gut says that there must be women who, with the same training, could match players in the men's game, since it isn't like sprinting. It feels like there must be other sports that should be the case as well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I misread that as ‘genital host.’ What’s disturbing is it still made perfect sense.
    In nine months, there will be a minor baby boom in the St Ives area, preponderant among hotel scullery maids and golf buggy drivers.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I can recommend an optician Or possibly a little counselling wouldn't go amiss!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

No one is perfect, we all have our flaws. The modern world is increasingly complicated and politicians have to operate within that reality.

One thing I have learned from this pandemic is that making important decisions, where there are undeniable tradeoffs, is very hard.

Much of the abstract pontificating on this site is so far from the difficult realities of the situation, that it is almost comical.

However, when reality does bite then a collective wailing and crying occurs, as evidenced by many posts last night.

We could all, myself included, do with a little more humility in the face of this dreadful virus in the context of a globally connected world. There are no easy choices or decisions.

Health decisions are difficult. And we do often go over the top and simplify on here. But there is much about the way the Government operates that makes things much worse.

A perfect example may be about to show itself - weddings. Originally told that a decision would be made at end of may to give extra warning. Fair enough, if June was still genuinely in the balance, that was delayed. Then all the mood music was increasing that June 21st would be delayed.

Despair!

But then, what's this? Consistent briefings for a number of days that even if June 21st was delayed, restrictions on weddings would definitely be lifted. This was widely shared, and no indication of any pushback on the suggestion from the Government that these briefing weren't pretty authoritative.

Hope!

And now today, more briefings. Weddings are off (or some sort of fudge about the limit being raised from 30 to 50 or something). Department of Health (?) have kyboshed the idea. Despair again.

And weddings are not even travel/foreign holidays. Despite the terrible messaging over that, at least there is always the reasonable response "everyone who books a holiday abroad knows they're taking a risk". But you can't hold up weddings for ever. They aren't one year's "bit of fun". OK you could say the important bit of a wedding only requires 4 people. But clearly it's not like that in reality. These are genuinely things which effect the rest of a person's life. And some people have had to go through this several times over the course of the last year.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

The leader and deputy leader of the Party shall be elected or re-elected from among Commons members of the PLP in accordance with procedural rule Chapter 4 Clause II below, at a Party conference convened in accordance with clause VI above. I

Thanks!

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

He certainly does love the international meetings - the bonhomie, the group phots, the vacuous pronouncements.

And for a year he's been unable to do them.

Its easy to see why he wanted to go to India so much.

He really, really, REALLY wanted to put on his Khasi of Kalabar stuff on.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

Cricket seems an interesting one to me - given some of the best players in Cricket are not the biggest, fastest or strongest physically, my gut says that there must be women who, with the same training, could match players in the men's game. It feels like there must be other sports that should be the case as well.
    Part of the reason is money...there is no money in it, but if you are a woman and have eye hand coordination there is money in sports like golf and tennis.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    algarkirk said:

MP or in HoL as far as i know
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

They’re supposed to be joint hosting the Women’s Football WC in a couple of years with Australia. How’s that going to work?
    Well it's a couple of year's away, and i think you can probably justify quarantining for that. But being the host of a tournament is the only way they're going to be able to qualify for it under current restrictions. Short of their international teams adopting permanent bases outside of the country.
  • Options
    Burnham is currently presiding over covid central.

Has he done anything apart from demanding more vaccine ?

Which would probably be wasted - it would be better to increase vaccination in districts two back from the epicentre to create a firebreak.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Yep, and you only need to think about their history to know why that is the case. The Labour Party exists to be the voice of the workers in Parliament. It would be utterly bizarre for their leader in such circumstances to not be an MP.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited June 2021
    Burnham is clearly by far Labour's most electable leader. On those Mori figures not only do more voters say that Burnham would make a good PM compared to Starmer by 37% to 24% but Burnham is also narrowly seen as a better potential PM than Sunak by 37% to 36% and Sadiq Khan by 37% to 29%. While Boris still beats Burnham on that basis by 45% to 37%, Burnham beats Boris on a net basis of +11% to +2% for Boris. Burnham has the advantage of being Northern and not especially supportive of the People's vote campaign and more willing to respect the Brexit vote pre 2019 than Starmer was thus appealing more to the Red Wall than Sir Keir does while still being more centrist than Corbyn was too and thus more able to appeal to swing voters.

However OGH is right that for the moment Starmer is safe as Burnham is not an MP and Starmer is still seen as a better potential PM by voters as opposed to those who are Labour MPs. For example 24% think Starmer would make a good PM compared to just 18% who think the same of Angela Rayner and only 15% of voters think Lisa Nandy would make a good PM so the idea Labour needs a female leader is absurd as neither of the main female contenders to lead Labour are very popular, indeed on a net rating too Rayner and Nandy are both on a poor -14% .

Having a female leader does not mean they will automatically be very electable as Hillary Clinton, Theresa May, Julia Gillard and Kim Campbell will tell you. Occasionally there are strong leaders who are femaie and election winners like Thatcher and Merkel and Ardern but none of the current crop in Labour come near them
  • Options
    edited June 2021

algarkirk said:

Can’t be leader from the Lords. Can’t even lead the Tories from the Lords these days:*

There shall be a Leader of the Party (referred to in this Constitution as “the Leader”) drawn from those elected to the House of Commons, who shall be elected by the Party Members and Scottish Party Members in accordance with the provisions of Schedule 2.

Constitution of the Conservative Party, section 10 https://public.conservatives.com/organisation-department/202101/Conservative Party Constitution as amended January 2021.pdf

*although in practice since they have only had four overall leaders in the Lords - Derby, Beaconsfield, Salisbury and Home - and three of them were consecutively leader in the nineteenth century, while the fourth was elected on the understanding he would disclaim his peerage, in practice I doubt if this does more than recognise reality.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Good morning

I just do not see Andy Burnham as next Labour leader but then I do not see anyone in Labour at present as a better alternative to Starmer, but then that is a very low bar

I notice the Queen is at Windsor just now reviewing her birthday parade

No matter your attitude to the Queen, she is quite an exceptional lady.

I doubt many 95 year olds would be able to have undertaken all her commitments in Cornwall yesterday, and then be standing in Windsor, less than 12 hours later
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

Cricket seems an interesting one to me - given some of the best players in Cricket are not the biggest, fastest or strongest physically, my gut says that there must be women who, with the same training, could match players in the men's game, since it isn't like sprinting. It feels like there must be other sports that should be the case as well.
    Yes, but some aspects are very dependent on physical factors. Though there would be outliers in female physique who would meet it - as eg Serena Williams for tennis.

eg Height of release for fast bowlers, strength for hitting 6s. Access to more and better resources / training will go a chunk of the way, of course.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    The utter uselessness of the US Federal Elections Commission.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jun/11/facebook-ads-turning-point-usa-rally-forge
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

And in cricket its possible for some players to be utterly crap at batting and fielding but still be an international class bowler.

So how well would a woman who could bowl as well as Warne or Murali do.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

And in cricket its possible for some players to be utterly crap at batting and fielding but still be an international class bowler.

Although in the modern game this increasingly very difficult to get in a team if you bat and field like Monty Panesar. You won't get in an ODI teams, test team you have to be the best of the best i.e. Anderson (and he is a decent fielder).
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

It's a fair reminder that the business of govt is difficult. But I'm not looking for an exceptional govt response, merely an average one.

Labour warned about red list issue in February. Not genius superforecasters -> the opposition.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Burnham is clearly by far Labour's most electable leader. On those Mori figures not only do more voters say that Burnham would make a good PM compared to Starmer by 37% to 24% but Burnham is also narrowly seen as a better potential PM than Sunak by 37% to 36% and Sadiq Khan by 37% to 29%. While Boris still beats Burnham on that basis by 45% to 37%, Burnham beats Boris on a net basis of +11% to +2% for Boris. Burnham has the advantage of being Northern and not especially supportive of the People's vote campaign and more willing to respect the Brexit vote pre 2019 than Starmer was thus appealing more to the Red Wall than Sir Keir does while still being more centrist than Corbyn was too and thus more able to appeal to swing voters.

However OGH is right that for the moment Starmer is safe as Burnham is not an MP and Starmer is still seen as a better potential PM by voters as opposed to those who are Labour MPs. For example 24% think Starmer would make a good PM compared to just 18% who think the same of Angela Rayner and only 15% of voters think Lisa Nandy would make a good PM so the idea Labour needs a female leader is absurd as neither of the main female contenders to lead Labour are very popular, indeed on a net rating too Rayner and Nandy are both on a poor -14% .

Having a female leader does not mean they will automatically be very electable as Hillary Clinton, Theresa May, Julia Gillard and Kim Campbell will tell you. Occasionally there are strong leaders who are femaie and election winners like Thatcher and Merkel and Ardern but none of the current crop in Labour come near them

Burnham has said he could stand for Parliament again at the next general election so is more likely to be a potential Labour leader if Starmer leads Labour to defeat in 2023 or 2024. Until then Burnham will stay Manchester Mayor
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

Yes, but some aspects are very dependent on physical factors. Though there would be outliers in female physique who would meet it - as eg Serena Williams for tennis.

eg Height of release for fast bowlers, strength for hitting 6s. Access to more and better resources / training will go a chunk of the way, of course.
    Sure, I don't think it could end up 50/50. But plenty of great bowlers aren't the tallest or fastest, plenty of great batsmen dont hit lots of sixes, so unlike some other sports it feels like more women besides the Serena Williams level could reach that physical level. A great medium pacer or nurdler for instance.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The whole world could compare themselves to NZ in that respect and come up short.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Can’t be leader from the Lords. Can’t even lead the Tories from the Lords these days:*

There shall be a Leader of the Party (referred to in this Constitution as “the Leader”) drawn from those elected to the House of Commons, who shall be elected by the Party Members and Scottish Party Members in accordance with the provisions of Schedule 2.

Constitution of the Conservative Party, section 10 https://public.conservatives.com/organisation-department/202101/Conservative Party Constitution as amended January 2021.pdf

*although in practice since they have only had four overall leaders in the Lords - Derby, Beaconsfield, Salisbury and Home - and three of them were consecutively leader in the nineteenth century, while the fourth was elected on the understanding he would disclaim his peerage, in practice I doubt if this does more than recognise reality.
    So definitely over priced then as there are very few winnable Lab seats for KON to stand in.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Not really, the Biden administration actually wants to expand the G7 to include India, South Korea and Australia in a D10 of the world's biggest democratic economies to contain China and Russia.

It wants both the UK and EU in that group and is not interested in taking sides between them as long as the UK keeps an open border in Ireland
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited June 2021
    alex_ said:

Cyclefree said:

Health decisions are difficult. And we do often go over the top and simplify on here. But there is much about the way the Government operates that makes things much worse.

A perfect example may be about to show itself - weddings. Originally told that a decision would be made at end of may to give extra warning. Fair enough, if June was still genuinely in the balance, that was delayed. Then all the mood music was increasing that June 21st would be delayed.

Despair!

But then, what's this? Consistent briefings for a number of days that even if June 21st was delayed, restrictions on weddings would definitely be lifted. This was widely shared, and no indication of any pushback on the suggestion from the Government that these briefing weren't pretty authoritative.

Hope!

And now today, more briefings. Weddings are off (or some sort of fudge about the limit being raised from 30 to 50 or something). Department of Health (?) have kyboshed the idea. Despair again.

And weddings are not even travel/foreign holidays. Despite the terrible messaging over that, at least there is always the reasonable response "everyone who books a holiday abroad knows they're taking a risk". But you can't hold up weddings for ever. They aren't one year's "bit of fun". OK you could say the important bit of a wedding only requires 4 people. But clearly it's not like that in reality. These are genuinely things which effect the rest of a person's life. And some people have had to go through this several times over the course of the last year.
    Our sons wedding on the 31st July is not off, and the Minister phoned yesterday to say the numbers that can attend the service has been increased from 30 to 40 and I understand they can invite over 50 to the reception, if held in a marquee

Indeed our next doors neighbour's daughter is getting married in 3 weeks and they have similar arrangements, though the Chapel on Anglesey is very small and the limit is 16 for the service

Both weddings are delayed from last summer and in both cases they just want to get married, and have accepted the restrictions
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

I think this argument is way too simplistic. It would be like saying that a woman could have competed with men at rugby in the amateur era (rugby historically actively marketed as a game for people of all shapes and sizes).

Basically there are probably many sports where women with the right physical attributes could theoretically develop individual skills to a high level to get close-ish to the levels of those skills of the game (looking at individual skills in isolation). But it would always be very much at the outlier of the spectrum. You can conclude anything with the inclusion of freaks and outliers.

• Options

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

So definitely over priced then as there are very few winnable Lab seats for KON to stand in.
    Plus he would have to resign the mayoralty to stand.

I just do not see a pathway for him.

Not, bluntly, that I see any credible Labour leader at the moment. I know full well how much you despise Starmer but there is a reason why he’s leader.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

I can imagine there must be a considerable number of women cricketers more physically impressive than Phil Tufnell, for instance...
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    LeanTossup (who were remarkably good in 2019) have published a current model (old boundaries).

ON: 411 (+46)
    LAB: 154 (-48)
    SNP: 51 (+3)
    LD: 10 (-1)

Others: 24

https://leantossup.ca/uk-westminster/

NE projection has Con at 23 seats, Labour at 6. (Wansbeck, Tynemouth, Newcastle N, Blaydon, N Durham, Jarrow, Sunderland*3 (all with 84%+ certainty atm), City of Durham, Easington, Hartlepool, Stockton N all Con gains)

Wales has Con at 22, Lab at 14, PC at 4 (with gains being Newports, Torfaen, Islywn, Neath, Gower, Llanelli, Alyn)

Net 5 losses for Cons in Midlands/South/London

Notable other seats (note that Shad Home Sec is MP for Torfaen) falling include Milliband, Rayner, Nandy, John Healey (SSoS Defence), Jonathan Reynolds (SSoS DWP), Cat Smith (SSoS Young people), Yvette Cooper.

By my count, of the 26 Shad Cab MPs from outside of London, about 10 of them would lose their seats if these results happened.

C&A:
    Con: 49%
    LD: 19%
    Lab: 15%
    Grn: 12%

B&S
    Con: 49.5%
    Lab: 37%
    Grn: 6%
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    "... he is of the wrong gender".

I must say, I've never understood this. Surely you want the best person as your candidate for the most important job in the country, not somebody who happens to have the right genitalia?

Anyway, if Starmer really wants a female leader, there are numerous clinics who could help him out.

• Options
    Chameleon said:

LeanTossup (who were remarkably good in 2019) have published a current model (old boundaries).

NE projection has Con at 23 seats, Labour at 6. (Wansbeck, Tynemouth, Newcastle N, Blaydon, N Durham, Jarrow, Sunderland*3 (all with 84%+ certainty atm), City of Durham, Easington, Hartlepool, Stockton N all Con gains)

Wales has Con at 22, Lab at 14, PC at 4 (with gains being Newports, Torfaen, Islywn, Neath, Gower, Llanelli, Alyn)

Notable other seats (note that Shad Home Sec is MP for Torfaen) falling include Milliband, Rayner, Nandy, John Healey (SSoS Defence), Jonathan Reynolds (SSoS DWP), Cat Smith (SSoS Young people), Yvette Cooper.

By my count, of the 26 Shad Cab MPs from outside of London, about 10 of them would lose their seats if these results happened.

C&A:

B&S

There is no Green in B&S
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MattW said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

Sure, I don't think it could end up 50/50. But plenty of great bowlers aren't the tallest or fastest, plenty of great batsmen dont hit lots of sixes, so unlike some other sports it feels like more women besides the Serena Williams level could reach that physical level. A great medium pacer or hurdler for instance.
    The fastest female bowler in the world is Ellyse Perry. She bowls at 77mph, which is about the speed of a county 2nd XI pacer edging into retirement.

Her average is roughly comparable to that of Joel Garner. Who bowled at around 95mph from a height of 6 ft 8 inches.

Equally, the fact that sport is played with less physical intensity doesn’t necessarily mean it is less good. The key to entertainment is that there must be a competition. Ideally, of course, competition of the very highest standard, but truthfully, I don’t think I would last long against Perry’s bowling!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

If he is the genital host, who are the crabs?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

I must say, I've never understood this. Surely you want the best person as your candidate for the most important job in the country, not somebody who happens to have the right genitalia?

Anyway, if Starmer really wants a female leader, there are numerous clinics who could help him out.

Well, he was elected to oversee a transition...
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Chameleon said:

C&A:

B&S

There is no Green in B&S
    Yep, I should have pointed that these are Nowcast projections for next GE, so what they think would happen if it was fought today, hence the suppressed LD share in C&A and the presence of Greens in B&S.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

I think this argument is way too simplistic. It would be like saying that a woman could have competed with men at rugby in the amateur era (rugby historically actively marketed as a game for people of all shapes and sizes).

Basically there are probably many sports where women with the right physical attributes could theoretically develop individual skills to a high level to get close-ish to the levels of those skills of the game (looking at individual skills in isolation). But it would always be very much at the outlier of the spectrum. You can conclude anything with the inclusion of freaks and outliers.

I agree its simplistic but you've still missed the point, which was hypothesising that there would be a higher number of female outliers in cricket than some other sports, not that I think it would be a level playing field.

There may well be other reasons the number of outliers would remain low, I was just noting that while very fit, and some players being very large and fast in a way even female outliers are unlikely to be, it is a sport where people are or have been great whilst not being Male outliers either.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    Fishing said:

It is only difficult to understand if you look at it individually, instead of generally.

If its a comparison between a man and a woman and the majority think the man is best that sounds fair enough.

If nine times out of ten, they prefer the man, maybe the majority are not that good at selecting who is actually best, unless it can be clearly shown men are better at leading countries than women. So the best person for the job may not be the preferred usually male candidate.

Not sure how true it is but heard a few times that countries led by women have had better responses to the covid crisis.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

Sure, I don't think it could end up 50/50. But plenty of great bowlers aren't the tallest or fastest, plenty of great batsmen dont hit lots of sixes, so unlike some other sports it feels like more women besides the Serena Williams level could reach that physical level. A great medium pacer or hurdler for instance.
    The fastest female bowler in the world is Ellyse Perry. She bowls at 77mph, which is about the speed of a county 2nd XI pacer edging into retirement.

Her average is roughly comparable to that of Joel Garner. Who bowled at around 95mph from a height of 6 ft 8 inches.

Equally, the fact that sport is played with less physical intensity doesn’t necessarily mean it is less good. The key to entertainment is that there must be a competition. Ideally, of course, competition of the very highest standard, but truthfully, I don’t think I would last long against Perry’s bowling!
    That's why I assume theyd end up competing as medium Pacers, spinners or batters. Itd still be outliers but physically more achievable.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Chameleon said:

C&A:

B&S

There is no Green in B&S
    Except the LD share in C&A is likely to be north of 35%.
  • Options

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

Although in the modern game this increasingly very difficult to get in a team if you bat and field like Monty Panesar. You won't get in an ODI teams, test team you have to be the best of the best i.e. Anderson (and he is a decent fielder).
    If you bowl like Warne or Murali you would get into any team.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Well, he was elected to oversee a transition...
    It reminds me of George Washington freeing his slaves, but only in his will. Carefully making sure he benefited from the institution he pretended to despise until it didn't matter to him any more.
  • Options
    Re: the women in sport argument. Another thing to consider is that extremely rare, even in men’s sports, for different requirements for sporting excellence at the highest level to combine in one individual. Tennis players/golfers/cricketers who base themselves around a “power game” don’t tend to excel at “touch”/finesse. Sprinters with long strides aren’t explosive out of the blocks. Very big rugby players aren’t particularly quick runners etc etc. Where you do see these features combined you get once in a generation stars.

To even hope to get close to competing in high level men’s sport, women would need this. Men can succeed in men’s sport by excelling in one area, whilst surviving with average male characteristics (and some hard work/training) in others. For women it wouldn’t be enough to just excel in one. Average women characteristics plus training would be enough in all the other areas.
  • Options

He is dumb even by the standards of politicos
  • Options

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

If you bowl like Warne or Murali you would get into any team.
    Of course, one area in cricket where it probably is level playing field for men or women is wicket keeping:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/rachael-heyhoe-flint-trophy-sarah-taylor-signs-for-northern-diamonds-in-response-to-wicketkeeping-crisis-1265899
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

From the same piece -

In terms of pace, I played semi-pro local league cricket and bowled 75-80 and wasn't really quick enough / didn't move it enough, so was only 2nd change (and really in for my batting) and regularly faced 80-85 and on occasion high 80s e.g. one club I played for our overseas pro was West Indian international and could hit nearly 90 if he could be arsed.

At mid 70s, you had to be either super accurate or make it bend like a banana.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    alex_ said:

Cyclefree said:

Despair!

Hope!

That’s very valid indeed.
    And for one thing more, I will be blaming the Government for seeding this delay. Yes, I can accept that the way the hospitalisations in the under-55s are marching up with the cases from a week earlier causes a genuine issue - but we wouldn’t be here if we’d added India to the red list when Pakistan and Bangladesh were added.

20,000 people - hell, The Government could have put them up in hotels for the isolation period at a hundred quid a night and paid their salaries for a fortnight and still had change from 30 million pounds.

We’d be 4-7 weeks further left against Delta iterations-wise. That would mean zero risk to the unlocking schedule; cases and hospitalisations would be at record lows and only just levelling off. If that.
    By the time we got to the current situation, we’d be first-dosing teenagers and second-dosing under-thirties, and Delta would have been suffocated in the cradle.
  • Options
    Just had interesting gossip from my wife. She was at hairdresser this morning and staff and customers were all talking about how good Theresa Mays speech was (this is in a very working class district of Liverpool were nobody would spit on a Tory if he was on fire). They were also all angry about the extended lockdown and those who had not had both jabs were adamant they would not have any or more because “it’s obviously just not worth it”. Staff and clientele.
    I found that fascinating from a bunch of people who are really not political at all.
This discussion has been closed.