Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting markets are over-stating Andy Burnham’s chances of succeeding Starmer – politicalbetting

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kinabalu said:

The Johnson government will commit to nothing. The irreversible journey is perfectly reversible if it suits.

Well exactly. And nobody would believe any commitment it ever made to anything, regardless.

FF43 said:

Peston transcript of Johnson interview:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1403688556674101251?s=20

He's lashing out. The interviewer called him out for being a liar, which he doesn't like, even though he is one. Probably OK although we can't be sure. The chaos that surrounds him is real enough even if he is false in other ways.
    The quote at 12.21.34 is telling: "you've just got to do whatever it takes to protect life"

The covid zealots have won. The war is over. We will not learn to live with this, like we do flu (which kills people every winter). We will do whatever it takes to avoid loss of life.

Whatever it takes.

Whatever it takes is a biosecurity state with lockdown and social distancing and rules for ever.

Susan Michie was right.
    And it won't just be Covid. It'll be all respiratory illnesses that they'll seek to permanently suppress. We'll never be rid of these evil masks.
    When the public do turn against the government for what they are doing, as they inevitably will one day, they will turn very hard.

It'll be 'never again' territory.

I think Baker and the cleverer Tories know that.
    I reckon the Government will probably get away with all of this. Their elderly support base loves lockdowns, and the Opposition are absolutely useless and show no sign of having either the willingness or ability to improve.

This could be Japan, you know. We could have one party rule for many decades.
    Based on here, the vitriol for delaying step 4 of the roadmap is mainly coming from right wing Leavers. It appears they have discovered that Boris Johnson is incompetent and untrustworthy, as is the government he leads. It remains to be seen how such people will react electorally. Perhaps they will abstain. Perhaps they will defect to Labour if Starmer can be replaced as leader by a Peter Bone type. Or perhaps they will still vote Tory.
    It's time to remember that this is an internet forum dominated by people with an abnormally strong interest in politics. The vast bulk of Johnson's support out in the country will either shrug their shoulders or actively applaud his obfuscation; those who are fed up with him have nowhere else to go.

Both defection and abstention empower Labour, and besides Farage has retired and his former vehicles are both busted flushes.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Disney World in Florida still requires masks.

In fact Disney World was specifically exempted from the sate law banning mandatory mask wearing.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

And now this. The dominant narrative will now be: "he screwed up, and we ended up with an extra four weeks of restrictions and a third wave. back in lockdown for eight months."

Fixed it for you.

I mean come on, we know it's coming. The catastrophist wing of the scientist lobby are going to completely take over now.
    You've been trumpeting disaster since week bloody one. The vaccines won't work. We'll be locked down forever. We'll all get reinfected. There's no way out.

All you ever bloody do is insist it's going to be an utter disaster, ignore every single step back or better off, and insist that everything will be horrible.

Of course we're not going to be sodding locked down for eight months. We're not locked down now. We've got restrictions, about equivalent to Tier One from last year, and the big discussion is whether they should be retained for four weeks.

We're not hurriedly closing the schools, closing all restaurants and pubs, banning travel outside the house.

I'm starting to think you actually get disappointed when disaster doesn't happen.
    That’s unfair

For a long time Black Rook has been full of sunny optimism (too much, perhaps)

I suspect he/she is a tad bipolar and is now on the downslope of a mood shift. Have a little sympathy. We are all stressed by this ever receding day of freedom. Black Rook also has a point, when members of official SAGE talk about ‘keeping masks and social distancing forever’ it is only right to be alarmed about the future. Some top scientists really do want perpetual controls on society
    You're right. I did catch myself and apologise; I was out of order to snap at Black_Rook.
    Everyone is anxious. And bloody angry at the government for landing us in this

We must all be nice to each other, for a bit, if we can. Or we can try, anyway
    You're going to be nice to me for a change then, are you?
    I don't think Susan Michie is a scientist but a behavioural psychologist, probably also one of the people Private Eye called 'the Marxist-Leninist aristocracy'.

Vote Conservative, get Communist?
    The conservatives gave people like Michie power over ordinary Brits, something no conservative government would have ever dreamt of doing in the past under any circumstances.

It is one of the things I hope to hold them responsible for one day.

The modern 'conservative' party is the biggest exercise in political charlatanism in my life time bar none. They put criminals who misrepresent themselves to shame.

A junior minister astonishingly claimed he was a 'libertarian conservative' the other day on Talk radio with a straight face. Right up there with some burglar pretending to be the gas man to get into some old person's home.
    Susan Michie is a member of Independent Sage, the go to group for the media to attack and undermine the government

The conservatives did not give her a mouthpiece, that was our media
    Sorry but Michie is a member of SAGE not independent SAGE.
    She’s a member of both.

https://www.independentsage.org/who-are-independent-sage/

As for the rest of your post, link please, given your track record.

Merely because our scientists have been abject doesn’t mean anyone’s going to trust an anti-vaxxer.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/14/scientists-admit-totalitarian-use-fear-control-behaviour-covid/

Well there is the report on scientists apology....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,058
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

New opinion poll:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    UK (GB), Kantar poll:

CON-ECR: 45% (+4)
    LAB-S&D: 32% (-1)
    LDEM-RE: 8% (-2)
    GREENS-G/EFA: 6% (-1)
    SNP-G/EFA: 4% (-1)
    REFORM~NI: 2% (-1)
    PC-G/EFA: 1% (+1)
    UKIP~ID: 1%

+/- vs. 22-26 April

Fieldwork: 3-7 June 2021
    Sample size: 1,122"

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1403700527951720454

Christ alive.....surely gravity has to come into play at some point.
    I would expect a clear shift from Tory to ReformUK if Freedom Day is postponed by Boris next week as is likely.

I doubt it would change the Labour or LD vote much but if the Reform candidate gets 5,000 votes or so in Thursday's Chesham and Amersham by election as a protest vote at the extended restrictions that could cut the Tory vote drastically and see the LDs get close even if the Tories scrape a hold
    I thought the Reform candidate isn't standing?
    There is a ReformUK candidate in Chesham and Amersham on Thursday who is campaigning hard on an end all restrictions ticket and even has his own battlebus

https://twitter.com/Alex4CandA/status/1402588085800648709?s=20

https://twitter.com/Alex4CandA/status/1403042652745052163?s=20

A vote for Reform in C&A (or anywhere else for that matter) would do far more to lift lockdown restrictions than getting double jabbed.

Are you really suggesting that if no one got vaccinated but voted for Reform things would be in a better state?
    Florida, which voted for Trump in both 2016 and 2020 and has a GOP governor, is now restriction free even though it has had fewer of its residents fully vaccinated as a percentage than we have
    That's not quite true: there are still restrictions on public transport; so masks are required on buses, planes, trains, etc.

California will be in the same position, with the only restrictions being public transport and indoor events with more than 5,000 people (where you need to either have had the vaccine or a negative test result) from Wednesday.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

And now this. The dominant narrative will now be: "he screwed up, and we ended up with an extra four weeks of restrictions and a third wave. back in lockdown for eight months."

Fixed it for you.

I mean come on, we know it's coming. The catastrophist wing of the scientist lobby are going to completely take over now.
    You've been trumpeting disaster since week bloody one. The vaccines won't work. We'll be locked down forever. We'll all get reinfected. There's no way out.

All you ever bloody do is insist it's going to be an utter disaster, ignore every single step back or better off, and insist that everything will be horrible.

Of course we're not going to be sodding locked down for eight months. We're not locked down now. We've got restrictions, about equivalent to Tier One from last year, and the big discussion is whether they should be retained for four weeks.

We're not hurriedly closing the schools, closing all restaurants and pubs, banning travel outside the house.

I'm starting to think you actually get disappointed when disaster doesn't happen.
    That’s unfair

I suspect he/she is a tad bipolar and is now on the downslope of a mood shift. Have a little sympathy. We are all stressed by this ever receding day of freedom. Black Rook also has a point, when members of official SAGE talk about ‘keeping masks and social distancing forever’ it is only right to be alarmed about the future. Some top scientists really do want perpetual controls on society
    You're right. I did catch myself and apologise; I was out of order to snap at Black_Rook.

I don't think Susan Michie is a scientist but a behavioural psychologist, probably also one of the people Private Eye called 'the Marxist-Leninist aristocracy'.

The conservatives gave people like Michie power over ordinary Brits, something no conservative government would have ever dreamt of doing in the past under any circumstances.

The modern 'conservative' party is the biggest exercise in political charlatanism in my life time bar none. They put criminals who misrepresent themselves to shame.

A junior minister astonishingly claimed he was a 'libertarian conservative' the other day on Talk radio with a straight face. Right up there with some burglar pretending to be the gas man to get into some old person's home.
    Susan Michie is a member of Independent Sage, the go to group for the media to attack and undermine the government

Some SAGE scientists have already apologised for using unethical psychological techniques to intimidate Britons in the pandemic after being exposed in A State of Fear.

Fraser Nelson reported that some SAGE scientists who demurred from main recommendations were intimidated by others.

If this ends I want a full investigation into how and why this happened, how long it went on and what Michie's role was and remains.

As I understand it certain propaganda techniques are a breach of international human rights laws and I would like to see the guilty prosecuted in court, and those conservative politicians who gave these people a free hand exposed.
    She is a member of Independent Sage as well and that is a conflict of interest
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

A couple of significant bits of European polling today - first, Italy: and the latest IPSOS poll

PD-S&D: 21% (+2)
    FdI-ECR: 21% (+2)
    LEGA-ID: 20% (-2)
    M5S-NI: 14% (-1)
    FI-EPP: 9% (+1)
    A-S&D: 3% (+1)
    IV-RE: 2%
    SI-LEFT: 2%
    A1-S&D: 1% (-1)
    +E-RE: 1% (-1)
    EV-G/EFA: 1% (-1)

Changes from last poll 27 May-1 Jun

It's the first poll for ages which LEGA hasn't led. Their collapse in support from the mid-30s has been incredible. The Social Democrats have benefitted as have FdL (Brothers of Italy), the latest right-wing political incarnation which actually has roots back in the Italian Social Movement of the 1970s.

In Germany, meanwhile, the latest Kantar Poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 26% (+2)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 21% (-1)
    SPD-S&D: 16%
    FDP-RE: 13%
    AfD-ID: 11%
    LINKE-LEFT: 7%

Signs the Saxony-Anhalt election effect is already fading for the CDU and solid numbers again for the FDP who looks set to make big gains in the Bundestag along with the Greens.

Lest we forget, the Italians have gotten rid of the "bonus" seats thing, so those percentage shares will be pretty much the seat shares in the lower house. In the upper house, it'll be a but more concentrated, but not much.

Basically, to form a government you will need a minimum of either FdI + LEGA + FI , or PD + M5S + a bunch of small parties and a quite bit of luck in the upper house.

If that is the result, it's hard to see a functioning Italian government emerging from the election.
    Still up to two years to go until then, and if they have trouble getting their act together then the EU can simply demand that they reappoint Draghi, anyway. It would hardly be the first time.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,313
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MaxPB said:

My wife and I had a long chat this morning and we're both of the same mind, if the UK falls into permanent measures we're going to leave the country even if we have to sell the house we've just bought and leave people behind. The life that the government and scientists have planned for us isn't real life, it's a facsimile of it.

We probably would do a variation - spend several months a year somewhere else and come back to the UK for various things but I share your views.
    But some good news the other way. With Trump gone, me and my wife are back on with our US roadtrip.
    Unless one of you is an American citizen, you'll need to go via Canada or Mexico (for 14 days), due to the restrictions on non-US citizens travelling to the US.
    Yes, what I more meant was that our planning for it is back on. And we'll take ages with that since it's the best bit. Probably we won't be actually going until next year at the earliest.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited June 2021
    kinabalu said:

The Johnson government will commit to nothing. The irreversible journey is perfectly reversible if it suits.

Well exactly. And nobody would believe any commitment it ever made to anything, regardless.

FF43 said:

He's lashing out. The interviewer called him out for being a liar, which he doesn't like, even though he is one. Probably OK although we can't be sure. The chaos that surrounds him is real enough even if he is false in other ways.
    The quote at 12.21.34 is telling: "you've just got to do whatever it takes to protect life"

The covid zealots have won. The war is over. We will not learn to live with this, like we do flu (which kills people every winter). We will do whatever it takes to avoid loss of life.

Whatever it takes.

Whatever it takes is a biosecurity state with lockdown and social distancing and rules for ever.

Susan Michie was right.
    And it won't just be Covid. It'll be all respiratory illnesses that they'll seek to permanently suppress. We'll never be rid of these evil masks.
    When the public do turn against the government for what they are doing, as they inevitably will one day, they will turn very hard.

I reckon the Government will probably get away with all of this. Their elderly support base loves lockdowns, and the Opposition are absolutely useless and show no sign of having either the willingness or ability to improve.

Based on here, the vitriol for delaying step 4 of the roadmap is mainly coming from right wing Leavers. It appears they have discovered that Boris Johnson is incompetent and untrustworthy, as is the government he leads. It remains to be seen how such people will react electorally. Perhaps they will abstain. Perhaps they will defect to Labour if Starmer can be replaced as leader by a Peter Bone type. Or perhaps they will still vote Tory.
    The vitriol is coming from liberals and libertarians - as to be expected as it is these group who prioritise liberties the most. (Right wing authoritarians and conservatives, and most of the left wing the least.)

We are sensing that the 21 June date was vital. Vital because a precedent is to be set of delaying step 4 Freedom Day. And when you delay it once ...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    For those who enjoyed the Trooping of the Colour, the music is free to download:

https://www.householddivision.org.uk/index.php?action=troop21
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,432
    What I want to know is how the virus got from the Wuhan lab, ie the BSL-2 CDC facility where they did much of the research, all the way across the city to the market?

I mean, how could that happen?

• Options

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

A couple of significant bits of European polling today - first, Italy: and the latest IPSOS poll

It's the first poll for ages which LEGA hasn't led. Their collapse in support from the mid-30s has been incredible. The Social Democrats have benefitted as have FdL (Brothers of Italy), the latest right-wing political incarnation which actually has roots back in the Italian Social Movement of the 1970s.

Signs the Saxony-Anhalt election effect is already fading for the CDU and solid numbers again for the FDP who looks set to make big gains in the Bundestag along with the Greens.

Lest we forget, the Italians have gotten rid of the "bonus" seats thing, so those percentage shares will be pretty much the seat shares in the lower house. In the upper house, it'll be a but more concentrated, but not much.

Basically, to form a government you will need a minimum of either FdI + LEGA + FI , or PD + M5S + a bunch of small parties and a quite bit of luck in the upper house.

If that is the result, it's hard to see a functioning Italian government emerging from the election.
    Still up to two years to go until then, and if they have trouble getting their act together then the EU can simply demand that they reappoint Draghi, anyway. It would hardly be the first time.
    To be fair, I think the Italians themselves like giving to someone unelected. It's like: well... we can't get a government out of the current results, and we can't have another bloody election... but we need to give the PM role to someone... so... how about Draghi...? Yeah, he's a bit of an a duffer, but he won't rock the boat...

• Options

kinabalu said:

FF43 said:

Whatever it takes.

Susan Michie was right.

It's time to remember that this is an internet forum dominated by people with an abnormally strong interest in politics. The vast bulk of Johnson's support out in the country will either shrug their shoulders or actively applaud his obfuscation; those who are fed up with him have nowhere else to go.

Both defection and abstention empower Labour, and besides Farage has retired and his former vehicles are both busted flushes.
    I agree. I don't think delaying the final unlock for 4 weeks will hurt the Cons at all. If significant political damage was likely there'd have been a different decision.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What I want to know is how the virus got from the Wuhan lab, ie the BSL-2 CDC facility where they did much of the research, all the way across the city to the market?

It involved a homing bat that was trained to fly to the market.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What I love about the Internet is how you can take a photo, draw some circles on it, and people will distribute it and people who've already made up their minds will just assume it's real.

That could be a photo of Croydon with Chinese place names turned on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    Leon said:

Is the answer aliens?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    Not great, not terrible.

• Options
    It is an irony that many who loved populism when it led to Brexit hate it now it keeps us in the grip of state restrictions.

Similarly, many who hated populism when it let to Brexit like it now that it keeps us under state control.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

New opinion poll:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    UK (GB), Kantar poll:

+/- vs. 22-26 April

I would expect a clear shift from Tory to ReformUK if Freedom Day is postponed by Boris next week as is likely.

I doubt it would change the Labour or LD vote much but if the Reform candidate gets 5,000 votes or so in Thursday's Chesham and Amersham by election as a protest vote at the extended restrictions that could cut the Tory vote drastically and see the LDs get close even if the Tories scrape a hold
    There is a ReformUK candidate in Chesham and Amersham on Thursday who is campaigning hard on an end all restrictions ticket and even has his own battlebus

A vote for Reform in C&A (or anywhere else for that matter) would do far more to lift lockdown restrictions than getting double jabbed.

Are you really suggesting that if no one got vaccinated but voted for Reform things would be in a better state?
    Florida, which voted for Trump in both 2016 and 2020 and has a GOP governor, is now restriction free even though it has had fewer of its residents fully vaccinated as a percentage than we have
    That's not quite true: there are still restrictions on public transport; so masks are required on buses, planes, trains, etc.

California will be in the same position, with the only restrictions being public transport and indoor events with more than 5,000 people (where you need to either have had the vaccine or a negative test result) from Wednesday.
    No, Florida no longer even has a mask mandate either.

Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order May 3 that suspended all local COVID-19 restrictions in the state, including mask rules, effective immediately.

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/states-mask-mandates-coronavirus.html
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I love about the Internet is how you can take a photo, draw some circles on it, and people will distribute it and people who've already made up their minds will just assume it's real.

As an aside, the fact that it's tagged as "Wuhan CDC" should be a big red flag. What with it not being called that.

Oh yeah, and the fact that those buildings look LITERALLY NOTHING LIKE ANY OF THE DISTRIBUTED PHOTOS OF THE WUHAN INSTITUTE OF VIROLOGY:

See https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/report-says-cellphone-data-suggests-october-shutdown-wuhan-lab-experts-n1202716

And about 1,000 other examples.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fixed it for you.

That’s unfair

She’s a member of both.

Merely because our scientists have been abject doesn’t mean anyone’s going to trust an anti-vaxxer.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/14/scientists-admit-totalitarian-use-fear-control-behaviour-covid/

Which is not a report on SAGE, but on a different committee. And while disturbing, therefore doesn’t support your claim.

The reality is, of course, that the problem here is those people who have refused to be vaccinated. They are the ones driving hospital admissions and deaths.

So no, I don’t blame the government, although I think they are bloody fools and the world would be a happier place if they would all jump in a lake. I do to a degree blame SAGE, who appear to have no common sense, Indie SAGE, who are clearly self-important windbags, or the NHS bosses.

But to the greatest extent I blame you. You are restricting my freedom. You are putting my life on hold. You are making me stagger under intolerable and otherwise unnecessary burdens at work trying to provide an education to children, which is hard work at the best of times.

And at the same time you are a hypocrite who lectures me on ‘giving up my freedoms.’ That’s what sets you apart from say, Dura Ace who has never lectured me on any part of my lifestyle.

You are a thousand times worse than Susan Michie. But you have neither the courage nor the ability to see that.

Sad, but there we are. It would be your problem in normal times, but it’s infuriating that you inflict it on the rest of us too.

And now I really am off for the afternoon. Have a good one.
    Well said
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

On that polling Salvini could still be PM (or Opposition Leader and Brothers of Italy leader Meloni), FdI plus Lega plus FI are on 50% combined more than PD, M5S and all the other minor parties combined on 45%
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Deaths are still down on a week ago.

Hospital admissions are up 15% week on week. But nobody knows how much we expected hospital admissions to rise as a result of the May opening up. If somewhere it says "we expect them to rise by 15%", then Indian-Delta has had no material affect on the expectations of the vast swathe of virologists' predictions.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    'Kin hell, that is the batting equivalent of a Stuart Broad review.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

New opinion poll:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    UK (GB), Kantar poll:

+/- vs. 22-26 April

No, Florida no longer even has a mask mandate either.

Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order May 3 that suspended all local COVID-19 restrictions in the state, including mask rules, effective immediately.

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/states-mask-mandates-coronavirus.html
    That's slightly misleading: because (for example) Miami Dade airport has a mask mandate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Independent SAGE prediction in the cricket is looking good....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    That was a stupid review.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Sandpit said:

Root...the world's worst....he gets talked in to them. There he literally got talked into it, despite having the best view.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

On that polling Salvini could still be PM (or Opposition Leader and Brothers of Italy leader Meloni), FdI plus Lega plus FI are on 50% combined more than PD, M5S and all the other minor parties combined on 45%
    Yes, that's exactly what I said "FdI + LEGA + FI".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

As an aside, the fact that it's tagged as "Wuhan CDC" should be a big red flag. What with it not being called that.

Oh yeah, and the fact that those buildings look LITERALLY NOTHING LIKE ANY OF THE DISTRIBUTED PHOTOS OF THE WUHAN INSTITUTE OF VIROLOGY:

See https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/report-says-cellphone-data-suggests-october-shutdown-wuhan-lab-experts-n1202716

You can also check it on google maps...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fixed it for you.

That’s unfair

She’s a member of both.

Which is not a report on SAGE, but on a different committee. And while disturbing, therefore doesn’t support your claim.

The reality is, of course, that the problem here is those people who have refused to be vaccinated. They are the ones driving hospital admissions and deaths.

So no, I don’t blame the government, although I think they are bloody fools and the world would be a happier place if they would all jump in a lake. I do to a degree blame SAGE, who appear to have no common sense, Indie SAGE, who are clearly self-important windbags, or the NHS bosses.

But to the greatest extent I blame you. You are restricting my freedom. You are putting my life on hold. You are making me stagger under intolerable and otherwise unnecessary burdens at work trying to provide an education to children, which is hard work at the best of times.

And at the same time you are a hypocrite who lectures me on ‘giving up my freedoms.’ That’s what sets you apart from say, Dura Ace who has never lectured me on any part of my lifestyle.

You are a thousand times worse than Susan Michie. But you have neither the courage nor the ability to see that.

Sad, but there we are. It would be your problem in normal times, but it’s infuriating that you inflict it on the rest of us too.

"the problem here is those people who have refused to be vaccinated."

It is not compulsory to be vaccinated, and neither should it be. Any vaccination program was always only ever likely to capture a percentage of people. The percentage is has and is capturing has exceeded expectations.

The silver bullet is intact. It makes no sense to blame those who have made a decision not to have the vaccine. Blame those who continue to argue for authoritarian measures when the climate no longer justifies it.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Just a remember, England are getting out to NZ worst ever test bowler (who has played more than 10 tests).....before this match, I believe his bowling average was 55...they aren't getting out to a world beater.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

FF43 said:

Whatever it takes.

Susan Michie was right.

I am a leaver. I do not identify as right wing. I have never voted Tory and cannot imagine I ever will.
    The conflating of leavers with what you believe is right wing tories who are just uncovering the reality of the PM is just one of the reasons the remainers failed so dismally both in the referendum and beyond.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It's staggering how people just share shit, without doing even 10 seconds of work.

What's worse, though, is that even though it's clearly bullshit, it will still influence how people think.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

This sounds like a classic Guardian, biased by omission.....you don't get 5 years in prison for just nicking a mobile phone.

Osime Brown was jailed for stealing a friend’s mobile phone, a crime that he and others say he did not commit. He was sentenced to five years for robbery, attempted robbery and perverting the course of justice.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/12/protesters-in-london-and-glasgow-call-for-halt-to-osime-brown-deportation

He was jailed for 5 years for stealing a mobile phone and perverting the course of justice, which was based on sending a Facebook message which said "stop lying".

Everyone, including the prosecution, agree he didn't steal the phone but he was convicted under joint enterprise.

I'm not familiar with the details of the case but this one looks a stinker.
  • Options
    Okies, the Tories are going to lose the Chesham and Amersham by election.

Michael Gove was out campaigning in the constituency today.

https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1403734134070071297
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Alistair said:

This sounds like a classic Guardian, biased by omission.....you don't get 5 years in prison for just nicking a mobile phone.

Osime Brown was jailed for stealing a friend’s mobile phone, a crime that he and others say he did not commit. He was sentenced to five years for robbery, attempted robbery and perverting the course of justice.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/12/protesters-in-london-and-glasgow-call-for-halt-to-osime-brown-deportation

He was jailed for 5 years for stealing a mobile phone and perverting the course of justice, which was based on sending a Facebook message which said "stop lying".

Everyone, including the prosecution, agree he didn't steal the phone but he was convicted under joint enterprise.

You don't get 5 years for just that. It doesn't pass the smell test. And his codefendants got no jail time. There is clearly more to it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

No, that’s the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a BSL-4 lab about 10km from the market (I think)

Since the plague began, the scientists in Wuhan have admitted much of their work was done in lower level BSL-2 ancillary labs

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/

‘Much of Shi’s work on gain-of-function in coronaviruses was performed at the BSL2 safety level, as is stated in her publications and other documents. She has said in an interview with Science magazine that “[t]he coronavirus research in our laboratory is conducted in BSL-2 or BSL-3 laboratories.”’

One of these is alleged to be the Wuhan ‘CDC’. I happily confess I can’t prove that’s it in the photo. But I have seen several maps which show the BSL-2 and 3 labs are much nearer the market

As ever, you bluster loudly but you’re embarrassingly ill-informed
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Even Shane Watson wouldn't have reviewed that.
  • Options

Hospital admissions are up 15% week on week. But nobody knows how much we expected hospital admissions to rise as a result of the May opening up. If somewhere it says "we expect them to rise by 15%", then Indian-Delta has had no material affect on the expectations of the vast swathe of virologists' predictions.

Exactly. Suspension of freedom day is not down to evidence. It is down to what might happen. Let's at least be honest about that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196

Just a remember, England are getting out to NZ worst ever test bowler (who has played more than 10 tests).....before this match, I believe his bowling average was 55...they aren't getting out to a world beater.

What does he have to do to stop being the worst? Who's next on the list?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IT’S NOT THE WUHAN INSTITUTE OF VIROLOGY
  • Options
    The average IQ on here drops daily. If I left it would plummet to single figures. I am the sole person keeping it in the respectable zone
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,297
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

What a twat. He looks like Vinnie Dingle.

My Mum used to say of Andy Burnham that he always looked like he needed a "good wash". Which is not good. I haven't heard her say it recently though - so perhaps that particular problem has gone way.

I think he's an ok bet if you think Starmer will fight the next election and lose it badly.
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

My Mum used to say of Andy Burnham that he always looked like he needed a "good wash". Which is not good. I haven't heard her say it recently though - so perhaps that particular problem has gone way.

I think he's an ok bet if you think Starmer will fight the next election and lose it badly.
    Before you write-off GE2024, ponder the economy for a moment.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It's staggering how people just share shit, without doing even 10 seconds of work.

What's worse, though, is that even though it's clearly bullshit, it will still influence how people think.
    Lol
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,913
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fixed it for you.

That’s unfair

She’s a member of both.

Fortunately, the Tree of Life is self-pruning. Those who refuse vaccines are likely to remove themselves from the gene pool.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

FF43 said:

Whatever it takes.

Susan Michie was right.

The vitriol is coming from liberals and libertarians - as to be expected as it is these group who prioritise liberties the most. (Right wing authoritarians and conservatives, and most of the left wing the least.)

We are sensing that the 21 June date was vital. Vital because a precedent is to be set of delaying step 4 Freedom Day. And when you delay it once ...
    Ok. Mainly of the right, though, and mainly leavers. My point being these are people who, Covid apart, have been strong supporters of Johnson and all things Johnson. Which is interesting. But it's possible I'm being overly influenced by the numerous and particularly vivid contributions of a few particular posters and extrapolating to a faulty conclusion.

I think and hope you're wrong about precedents and further slippage. This one has some rationale (although I disagree with it). Another would look like hyper-caution and very sloppy thinking. I'm pretty sure this is it. But of course I said that about this date, didn't I? Told all the worriers they should relax and could "take 21st June to the bank". So I plan to keep my head down about 19th July.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127

Not great, not terrible.

I think Blackburn has finally reached its peak and will be the worst hit district.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,824
    Alistair said:

Disney World in Florida still requires masks.

In fact Disney World was specifically exempted from the sate law banning mandatory mask wearing.

Thats a bit of a Mickey Mouse approach to covid restrictions.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

No, that’s the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a BSL-4 lab about 10km from the market (I think)

Since the plague began, the scientists in Wuhan have admitted much of their work was done in lower level BSL-2 ancillary labs

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/

‘Much of Shi’s work on gain-of-function in coronaviruses was performed at the BSL2 safety level, as is stated in her publications and other documents. She has said in an interview with Science magazine that “[t]he coronavirus research in our laboratory is conducted in BSL-2 or BSL-3 laboratories.”’

One of these is alleged to be the Wuhan ‘CDC’. I happily confess I can’t prove that’s it in the photo. But I have seen several maps which show the BSL-2 and 3 labs are much nearer the market

Sorry: there is literally ZERO evidence that that photo is of either the wet market or the the Wuhan lab.

It's a photo. With circles on it. Providence unknown.

One of the circles says "Wuhan CDC". Which doesn't exist,

The other says "Market".

And I'm the one ill informed?

Are you high?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    Leon said:

The average IQ on here drops daily. If I left it would plummet to single figures. I am the sole person keeping it in the respectable zone

Have you ever thought of being cloned ?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Exactly. Suspension of freedom day is not down to evidence. It is down to what might happen. Let's at least be honest about that.
    Entirely down to Johnson. Reacting to the output of the SPI-M random number generators, for sure, but entirely down to him nonetheless.

Of course, if we have to go through this extension and then nothing drastic happens to the hospitals then it will be impossible to pin the blame on the modellers, because they will simply claim that the failure of disaster to materialise is the product of not unlocking. AIUI their predictions of what was going to happen as a result of earlier phases of unlocking in the Spring were hopelessly inaccurate, but nobody seems to be interested in that.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    So who do England turn to for batting? We can't carry on like this. Australia will win the Ashes 5-0.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Sorry: there is literally ZERO evidence that that photo is of either the wet market or the the Wuhan lab.

The other says "Market".

Are you high?
    You didn’t even do your ‘ten seconds of research’ to find out if there were multiple labs in Wuhan. There are. Oh dear.
  • Options

So who do England turn to for batting? We can't carry on like this. Australia will win the Ashes 5-0.

Hameed, Cook, and Bairstow.

I think Stokes and Woakes helps the balance of the side and genuinely allows us to bat deep.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fixed it for you.

That’s unfair

She’s a member of both.

I've got not time for vaccine refusers and I would shed no tears if they all got COVID and died but it is simply a personal choice to take on that individual risk of refusing a vaccine.

The issue has always been overwhelming the NHS which was a collective risk for the nation. The vaccine programme has eliminated that collective risk regardless of what the garbage models say.

No, the issue here are the c***s like Susan Michie who are pushing forever lockdown as a solution to anything. Ultimately people like contrarian are now only really risking their own health by refusing the vaccine. People like Michie are trying to push the whole nation into a permanent state of social distancing because they're on a power trip and theyve realised the government is too weak to tell them to get fucked.

As I said this morning, the UK feels like a country that no longer wants to be free. The people have been mollified by the anti freedom scientists with the scare stories and garbage models. That's not a society I want to live in, asking permission from unelected scientists to enjoy some of life's pleasures. No thanks. Whatever contrarian's faults he's not pushing the idea of forever lockdown on anyone because he doesn't want the vaccine. Michie and her band of c***s are doing that.

It's going to take Steve Baker PM to get rid of these wankers. I'll rejoin the party and campaign for him if necessary. Anything but this half life.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    edited June 2021

Just put in Thorpe and Collingwood, they're team coaches.
  • Options
    Wasn't long ago some on here were claiming it would be politically impossible for the government to stick to 21st June as the public would be demanding and earlier end to restrictions as they saw deaths drop very low.

Those predictions were wrong, just as they are wrong that the government will suffer from delaying, most of the public understood it was about the data, not the dates after all
  • Options

I think Stokes and Woakes helps the balance of the side and genuinely allows us to bat deep.
    Crickey Cook, Anderson and Broad....better make sure got lots of Voltarol on hand.
  • Options

Not great, not terrible.

I think Blackburn has finally reached its peak and will be the worst hit district.
    It will be a tough decision to extend if it looks like this is reaching a plateau.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,985

Not great, not terrible.

It will fall sunday
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Not great, not terrible.

Basically there appears to be little scary in the evidence that is publicly available at all. And probably aligns favourably with the central predictions that accompanied the road map. So despite doing better than expected, with a new highly transmissible and unpredicted variant thrown in for good measure, the scientists are given free rein to reset their model and repredict us marching forward towards oblivion all over again...
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The other says "Market".

Are you high?
    You didn’t even do your ‘ten seconds of research’ to find out if there were multiple labs in Wuhan. There are. Oh dear.
    You don't even know that photo is from Wuhan.

The only thing we know for sure is that "Wuhan CDC" doesn't exist.

And I'm the one not doing my research?
  • Options

Crickey Cook, Anderson and Broad....better make sure got lots of Voltarol on hand.
    I suspect we're going to be able to bounce the Aussies out.

Wood, Archer, Robinson, plus Stokes and one of Woakes/Broad/Anderson.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's going to take Steve Baker PM to get rid of these wankers. I'll rejoin the party and campaign for him if necessary. Anything but this half life.

Perhaps a Theresa May and Steve Baker dream team. ;)
  • Options

Not great, not terrible.

It will be a tough decision to extend if it looks like this is reaching a plateau.
    No it won't. Leaks have primed people to see opening up as dangeroulsy risky, Boris isn't going to take the less popular option that people see as more risky.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,824
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The Chinese have obviously also invented some really giant cars and roads if they are 10k apart and the photo is real. The roads are over 1km wide, with the cars at least 100m wide. Interesting technology, maybe related to the aliens?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,843
    edited June 2021
    A predictably crap batting performance by England at Edgbaston. 58/4.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

FF43 said:

Whatever it takes.

Susan Michie was right.

I am a leaver. I do not identify as right wing. I have never voted Tory and cannot imagine I ever will.
    The conflating of leavers with what you believe is right wing tories who are just uncovering the reality of the PM is just one of the reasons the remainers failed so dismally both in the referendum and beyond.
    That's unfair on me. I'm going on a high volume of actual posts on here from prolific actual posters who ARE right wing leavers. Going that way. I'm not looking at the sentiment and then assuming that that sentiment = right wing leaver.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

MaxPB said:

Steve Baker loses his seat next time.

A majority of 4,000 and 8,000 LDs and Greens for Labour to squeeze.

Hard Brexitism doesn't play well in Wycombe.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    edited June 2021

Alistair said:

You don't get 5 years for just that. It doesn't pass the smell test. And his codefendants got no jail time. There is clearly more to it.
    The guy has lived here lawfully since he was 4, so he should not be deported under absolutely any circumstances. He should be regarded as a citizen due to the amount of time that has passed. If he got 5 years in jail, which sounds unbelievable on the face of it given the apparent crime then he has served his time and that should be the end of that. There really is no need to fish around for vague complexities particular to this case that might justify what is going on.

As I have kept saying, the fact the Home office keep doing this is evidence that it is structurally racist: picking on poor black people and banishing them from the country. Everyone involved, from the home secretary down should just hang their heads in shame. They've learned nothing at all since Windrush. Sending a disabled, autistic young man to Jamaica with no family support is tantamount to a death sentence. In my view, it is no different to George Floyd from being murdered by the police.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,985

MaxPB said:

He has coauthored a piece against vaxports with Dawn Butler
  • Options
    Another wasted review. You know you’re stuck right in front, just admit it and walk...
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    I can't imagine anyone would vote for Burnham in a GE. He's far too drip-like.

Admittedly the certain knowledge that more than a few misguided fools voted for Corbyn tempers my confidence.

And the certain knowledge that more than a few misguided fools voted for Brown tempers my confidence further.

The idea that the proponents of Burnham actually preferred Corbyn and Brown to him suggests that he's not a serious runner.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    darkage said:

Alistair said:

The guy has lived here lawfully since he was 4, so he should not be deported under absolutely any circumstances. He should be regarded as a citizen due to the amount of time that has passed. If he got 5 years in jail, which sounds unbelievable on the face of it given the apparent crime then he has served his time and that should be the end of that. There really is no need to fish around for vague complexities particular to this case that might justify what is going on.

As I have kept saying, the fact the Home office keep doing this is evidence that it is structurally racist: picking on poor black people and banishing them from the country. Everyone involved, from the home secretary down should just hang their heads in shame. They've learned nothing at all since Windrush. Sending a disabled, autistic young man to Jamaica with no family support is tantamount to a death sentence. In my view, it is no different to George Floyd from being murdered by the police.
    That wasn't my point. I wasn't debating if he should be deported or not, I was pointing out that it struck me as a classic example of Guardian bias by omission.

There is no way, 3 people got charged with robbing a phone. 2 got no jail time who stole the phone, and the one who is a good little boy and whose only offense is claimed he sent a facebook message saying "stop lying" and is claimed he didn't even do any of the robbing, got 5 years...5 years...not 5 months for perverting the course of justice...5 years....and he is supposed to have a disability as well. Nah not buying it.

5 years in jail you have to have serious stuff against you.

If that was true, that would be up there with one of the biggest miscarriages of justice ever. And yet after appeals etc etc etc, even the campaigners who want him to stay aren't making hay about the 5 year jail sentence. They are instead saying not fair to deport him.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Another wasted review. You know you’re stuck right in front, just admit it and walk...

It was retained and it would have been not out last year.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fixed it for you.

That’s unfair

She’s a member of both.

I've got not time for vaccine refusers and I would shed no tears if they all got COVID and died but it is simply a personal choice to take on that individual risk of refusing a vaccine.

The issue has always been overwhelming the NHS which was a collective risk for the nation. The vaccine programme has eliminated that collective risk regardless of what the garbage models say.

No, the issue here are the c***s like Susan Michie who are pushing forever lockdown as a solution to anything. Ultimately people like contrarian are now only really risking their own health by refusing the vaccine. People like Michie are trying to push the whole nation into a permanent state of social distancing because they're on a power trip and theyve realised the government is too weak to tell them to get fucked.

As I said this morning, the UK feels like a country that no longer wants to be free. The people have been mollified by the anti freedom scientists with the scare stories and garbage models. That's not a society I want to live in, asking permission from unelected scientists to enjoy some of life's pleasures. No thanks. Whatever contrarian's faults he's not pushing the idea of forever lockdown on anyone because he doesn't want the vaccine. Michie and her band of c***s are doing that.

A great post and thank you.

Here's the thing. It is not surprising the UK does not want to be free when the government is not showing voters the whole story. Gargantuan debts, furlough and money printing are hiding the hugely destructive effects of restrictions. Right now voters think there is no hit to take.

Johnson goes on ad nauseam about 'caution' but there is absolutely nothing cautious about what he is doing. The UK is engaged in massive and reckless gamble with the country's economy in the near and medium term future. A gamble that could break us for decades.

It was a big gamble when we were all involved in it. Now that some Western countries are deciding to live with covid, its an insane policy. Insane. Investors will soon start to differentiate between the covid brave and the covid cowards.

Those governments in thrall to scientists who will never take a hit could be severely punished.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Not wasted.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I love about the

As cellphone-data-suggests-october-shutdown-wuhan-lab-experts-n1202716

The other says "Market".

Are you high?

I HAVE done my research. I’m 99% sure that is a map/photo of central Wuhan. And it correctly identifies the Wuhan wet market

However the circled building appears to be a Ramen bar. Which, I confess, does not sound like an evil bioweapon lab

That said, right next door is a research hospital. Who knows. Where are the other, lower level labs? It’s quite an important detail

• Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I love about the

The other says "Market".

Are you high?

I HAVE done my research. I’m 99% sure that is a map of central Wuhan. And it correctly identifies the Wuhan wet market

However the circled building appears to be a Ramen bar. Which, I confess, does not sound like an evil bioweapon lab

That said, right next door is a research hospital. Who knows. Where are the other, lower level labs? It’s quite an important detail

I remember one PBer who was 100% certain that the Glasgow bin lorry driver was a Muslim.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Before you write-off GE2024, ponder the economy for a moment.
    I haven't written it off. Far from it. I've gone against the tide and I'm long of Starmer Next PM at an average of nearly 8. Expect to be laying that back at 4 by this time next year. This great nation of ours might not want Benny Hill as PM for another term. They might have had enough.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fixed it for you.

That’s unfair

She’s a member of both.

Here's the thing. It is not surprising the UK does not want to be free when the government is not showing voters the whole story. Gargantuan debts, furlough and money printing are hiding the hugely destructive effects of restrictions. Right now voters think there is no hit to take.

Johnson goes on ad nauseam about 'caution' but there is absolutely nothing cautious about what he is doing. The UK is engaged in massive and reckless gamble with the country's economy in the near and medium term future. A gamble that could break us for decades.

It was a big gamble when we were all involved in it. Now that some Western countries are deciding to live with covid, its an insane policy. Insane. Investors will soon start to differentiate between the covid brave and the covid cowards.

Those governments in thrall to scientists who will never take a hit could be severely punished.

The flip side is that those who are first movers will benefit mightily
  • Options
    Called it, England are losing this by an innings.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,843
    Apocalypse for England. 58/5.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Even Independent SAGE didn't think it would be this bad.

Total rethink of England batting required.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Nah, in my lifetime I've seen England bowled out for 46 and 51.

I've also seen them lose matches in two days.

That's apocalyptic.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Steve Baker loses his seat next time.

A majority of 4,000 and 8,000 LDs and Greens for Labour to squeeze.

Hard Brexitism doesn't play well in Wycombe.
    Possibly. Though FWIW, in a hypothetical where he actually becomes that important, the elderly MP for Brexitshire North West could always be offered a peerage and he could be parachuted into the seat - so there are ways and means, of course.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

What I love about the

The other says "Market".

Are you high?

I HAVE done my research. I’m 99% sure that is a map of central Wuhan. And it correctly identifies the Wuhan wet market

I did the same search on Google :smile:

Two things: 1. That's a seafood market, so are we sure that's the alleged wet market, anyway? And 2. If you look around the images, the hospital is in the middle of some really fancy office and hotel space.
  • Options
    The innings defeat is still on.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Yes, I think I see the Whitgift Centre.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Quite the contrast in the crowd in Copenhagen for the second game of the day versus the crowd in Baku.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Yes, I think I see the Whitgift Centre.
    Covid started in Croydon?

Makes sense.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Fox killer is at it again...

Appointment of Peter Cruddas, who donated £500,000 to party after taking seat, is ‘unlawful’, say campaigners

The Good Law Project – which has brought a series of judicial review cases against the government over the award of contracts during the pandemic – has said it intends to challenge the appointment in the courts.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/12/boris-johnson-faces-legal-action-over-peerage-for-billionaire-tory-donor-peter-cruddas

He brings so many court actions I think they just need to allocate his own court room.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

darkage said:

Alistair said:

That wasn't my point. I wasn't debating if he should be deported or not, I was pointing out that it struck me as a classic example of Guardian bias by omission.

There is no way, 3 people got charged with robbing a phone. 2 got no jail time who stole the phone, and the one who is a good little boy and whose only offense is claimed he sent a facebook message saying "stop lying" and is claimed he didn't even do any of the robbing, got 5 years...5 years...not 5 months for perverting the course of justice...5 years....and he is supposed to have a disability as well. Nah not buying it.

If that was true, that would be up there with one of the biggest miscarriages of justice ever. And yet after appeals etc etc etc, even the campaigners who want him to stay aren't making hay about the 5 year jail sentence. They are instead saying not fair to deport him.
    How do you know that there is an omission? Why should there be? Is the justice system so perfect that the above outcome (5 years for a mobile phone theft) is that unexpected? Sentencing ranges are generally very wide. It isn't really the point of the guardians story though, which is about the deportation.
  • Options

Appointment of Peter Cruddas, who donated £500,000 to party after taking seat, is ‘unlawful’, say campaigners

The Good Law Project – which has brought a series of judicial review cases against the government over the award of contracts during the pandemic – has said it intends to challenge the appointment in the courts.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/12/boris-johnson-faces-legal-action-over-peerage-for-billionaire-tory-donor-peter-cruddas

He brings so many court actions I think they just need to allocate his own court room.

How long before he’s a vexatious litigant?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,783
    Leon said:

"That did much of the research..."

Cites, please.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    darkage said:

darkage said:

Alistair said:

How do you know that there is an omission? Why should there be? Is the justice system so perfect that the above outcome (5 years for a mobile phone theft) is that unexpected? Sentencing ranges are generally very wide. It isn't really the point of the guardians story though, which is about the deportation.
    We have talked about how the Guardian uses bias by omission. I was saying this look like exactly that.

5 years for a first and only offence of not evening stealing a phone, but sending a single Facebook message...while the two other who did the stealing got no jail time. Absolute Bullshit. Not happening. Plus he supposedly has a disability and clearly decent legal representation to challenge a lot of this...and yet he still got a 5 years sentence....

There is more to it.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fixed it for you.

That’s unfair

She’s a member of both.

The flip side is that those who are first movers will benefit mightily
    It's funny isn't it: if Covid had been a hypothetical and you'd asked me about Germany vs the UK and how our governments would react, I'd have assumed that Germany would nail vaccine production, but would be overly cautious with restrictions and would be slow to open up.

The UK under Boris Johnson, on the other hand, I'd have assumed would mess up the vaccines, but would have a swashbuckling attitude that would mean we'd open up successfully.

The EU, the US and Israel are correctly opening up while we dither.

Boris: for the love of God, please (a) release the AZN vaccines to people who want them, and (b) open up on the 21st.
  • Options

It does look very ill, even if it is lawful.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fixed it for you.

That’s unfair

She’s a member of both.

I think with Michie it is not just a power trip but an opportunity to remodel society in the way that they see fit. As @contrarian has said, there are a lot of people out there happy just to bumble along and tell employers how they want to work. People like Michie realise that and think they will never get a better chance to push their ideas as now.
This discussion has been closed.