Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In spite of the latest EU dealings those who think Brexit was wrong still have clear 8% lead with Yo

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Scott_xP said:
    Who would have thunk Gove and Johnson were going to be on the reasonable side in our first post-divorce spat.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

What a carve up.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1355212119277522945

EU fall into their own Irish bear trap.

Was clear from the start they were just using the border for their own political interest. They don't give two hoots about the people there.
    At least that’s clear as day. I feel sorry for Ireland - the country with the most to lose in the EU. Let’s give them some of our vaccines
    Ireland isn't actually a very big country. We could probably do it.
    6.5 million people - we've got enough on order...
    And how many over 70s?
    Can't be more than 1m, that's a small number.
    Not to the EU vaccination procurement team......
    Tbh, we should give them 2m AZ doses over the next few weeks so they can fully jab their over 70s. It's a small sacrifice for us and it prevents any kind of risk of border checks.
    We will give them to them (in UK Aid boxes) when we're good and ready, and not before.

They can't be seen to have won anything from this whatsoever.
    Giving 1.4m doses to the Republic isn't a win for anyone other than common sense to prevent a hard border on the island. The idea just seems mental to me because there will have to be a border checking to see if vaccine doses are being taken into NI.
    Sort of health repeat of the financial assistance provided in 2010.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,502
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

What a carve up.

Was clear from the start they were just using the border for their own political interest. They don't give two hoots about the people there.
    At least that’s clear as day. I feel sorry for Ireland - the country with the most to lose in the EU. Let’s give them some of our vaccines
    And how many over 70s?
    Tbh, we should give them 2m AZ doses over the next few weeks so they can fully jab their over 70s. It's a small sacrifice for us and it prevents any kind of risk of border checks.
    We will give them to them (in UK Aid boxes) when we're good and ready, and not before.

Giving 1.4m doses to the Republic isn't a win for anyone other than common sense to prevent a hard border on the island. The idea just seems mental to me because there will have to be a border checking to see if vaccine doses are being taken into NI.
    I can't see how it does prevent it.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    tlg86 said:

That from Adam Boulton is astonishing considering how pro EU he is

Just need Ian Dunt to condemn the EU to make it surreal

And of course Nicola
    James O'Brien.
    res ad triarios redit...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Another twist.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/status/1355223741547077632

Must have been some serious arm twisting.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Please don't make me have to root for Michael Gove.
    https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1355223810862100481

The Germans made me agree with Sadiq Khan, this whole saga has made for odd alliances.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,877

Carnyx said:

Floater said:
    What a bunch of incel virgins these Scot Nats are.
    Looks like a latin fan on top right though, greeting everyone with a rather classical 'Ave'.
    I wondered what @BluestBlue looked like.
    I'd always visualised him wearing one of those sculpted & gilded breastplates, perhaps a laurel wreath. Disappointing.
    Don't know. He could be one of those locals who signed up to serve with the Auxiliary Cohorts on the Gask Ridge Limes and is more Roman than the Romans while still dressed in his feile mhor.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

What a carve up.

And how many over 70s?

I can't see how it does prevent it.
    The Republic are responsible for policing the border - if it needs policing.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    UK Govt doesn't need to get sucked into a DUP driven agenda though. No need when the UK is in the right.
  • Options

No we won't do that but you are amazing to be honest
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,908
    MaxPB said:

Hold on a minute, does that mean that there will be EU checks on the island of Ireland to ensure no vaccines are being shipped to NI?

That strikes me as a complete disaster idea.

If they are seriously invoking article 16, that means that they absolutely are intending to stop exports to the UK at all costs. Otherwise, why do it? Ireland doesn't make anything.

And having a US company that won't be able to send any of its products back to the US??

Have they thought this through?

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Winner of the Flying Pigs Award

Daily Express Editor "We're never doing an anti immigrant story again"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000rlpl?xtor=CS8-1000-[Discovery_Cards]-[Multi_Site]-[SL03]-[PS_SOUNDS~N~~TheMediaShowDailyExpress]
  • Options
    It's surely option 2 coupled with an offer to integrate Ireland into the highly successful UK vaccine programme "to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland". It is the only way out of this as bringing us all back from the brink.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518

No we won't do that but you are amazing to be honest
    We are considering the nuclear option.

Actions (or lack of them) that will make Gavin Williamson be carried aloft in triumph at the next Teacher Union Conference.

You have been warned.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    edited January 2021

It's hard enough for anybody to do that.
    dr_spyn said:

Another twist.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/status/1355223741547077632

Must have been some serious arm twisting.

#safevaccines #dontlistentothepresidentoffrance
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Hold on a minute, does that mean that there will be EU checks on the island of Ireland to ensure no vaccines are being shipped to NI?

If they are seriously invoking article 16, that means that they absolutely are intending to stop exports to the UK at all costs. Otherwise, why do it? Ireland doesn't make anything.

And having a US company that won't be able to send any of its products back to the US??

At the moment i think the EU are just saying that this is about controls - recording when shipments leave the EU. They say they want to know what's leaving. They haven't actually banned exports yet i think.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Carnyx said:

Floater said:
    Looks like a latin fan on top right though, greeting everyone with a rather classical 'Ave'.
    καὶ σύ, τέκνον;
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Another story only getting attention on London news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55842611

Activists who dug a tunnel near Euston station in protest against the £106bn HS2 rail project are at "risk of drowning", officials have warned.

Bailiffs are still evicting people from the Euston Square Gardens camp after protesters dug a tunnel they claim is 100ft (30m) long.

Whilst I support their cause, I certainly don't support their actions. Personally I'd starve them out.
  • Options
    Roger said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000rlpl?xtor=CS8-1000-[Discovery_Cards]-[Multi_Site]-[SL03]-[PS_SOUNDS~N~~TheMediaShowDailyExpress]

Isn't that because they'd have to admit that Brexit is useless at preventing immigration, because its' whjat the Tories' backers want, cheap labour etc.?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

At the moment i think the EU are just saying that this is about controls - recording when shipments leave the EU. They say they want to know what's leaving. They haven't actually banned exports yet i think.
    All it now take to derail the UK's vaccine program is someone in Brussels to tick "no" rather than "yes" on a form.
  • Options

Oh, god. We're in the upside down now.

I was hoping 2021 would be an improvement on 2020.
  • Options
    My life long dream to ban French people from visiting the UK may soon happen if they don't vaccinate their population.

What a time to be alive.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

If is about recording, why not just get Pfizer to do it? Why go to the extreme measure of invoking article 16?

Which also makes it look like this is specifically targetting the UK (which it is, obvs)
  • Options
    RobD said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

All it now take to derail the UK's vaccine program is someone in Brussels to tick "no" rather than "yes" on a form.
    Happily we have got Novavax delivering in 8-10 weeks. Any disruption will have a limited overall effect.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

This weekends paper are going to be a horror show for the EU

And??
  • Options
    edited January 2021

This weekends paper are going to be a horror show for the EU

And??
    Big_G was talking about the European press. ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

And they don't exactly appear to be acting in a calm and collected manner. We have had EU folk claiming thar the UK is trying to start a war, that AZN are lying about everything from their contract to how good their vaccine is...
  • Options
    Big shout out to the British, who absolutely itching for a foreign holiday somewhere warm so let's get the jabs on.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I heard that interview. He came away with the astonishing claim that no Express reader was racist.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Floater said:
    καὶ σύ, τέκνον;
    χαῖρε!
  • Options
    Another interesting point is that the EU are claiming that individual countries are free to do their own thing. So we could come to a bilateral agreement with Ireland to provide some of our vaccine if they let us import (a far greater amount) from there?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    edited January 2021

RobD said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

And they don't exactly appear to be acting in a calm and collected manner. We have had EU folk claiming thar the UK is trying to start a war, that AZN are lying about everything from their contract to how good their vaccine is...
    But "we hold all the" vaccine surely
  • Options
    Roger said:

Actually they are now owned by Reach who own the Mirror, I suspect The Express will be backing Labour soon.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

Happily we have got Novavax delivering in 8-10 weeks. Any disruption will have a limited overall effect.
    I think the issue, to the extent that it exists, is purely about UK people who have had first dose Pfizer, but whose second dose might be in jeopardy.

We're not in any serious danger of being starved of jabs.
  • Options

Roger said:

I heard that interview. He came away with the astonishing claim that no Express reader was racist.
    I laughed when I saw it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021

My life long dream to ban French people from visiting the UK may soon happen if they don't vaccinate their population.

What a time to be alive.

Talking of the French, I watched Netflix show Lupin the other night. It isn't the golden age of telly level, but wasn't bad. Passed a few hours.
  • Options

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

If is about recording, why not just get Pfizer to do it? Why go to the extreme measure of invoking article 16?

Which also makes it look like this is specifically targetting the UK (which it is, obvs)
    I'm not disagreeing. Just saying that at the moment the groundwork is being laid as a threat. They could be bluffing.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Another interesting point is that the EU are claiming that individual countries are free to do their own thing. So we could come to a bilateral agreement with Ireland to provide some of our vaccine if they let us import (a far greater amount) from there?

The problem is that Ireland is only due 1/27th of what the EU programme is so they won't have any volume to export here. We should just make an offer to Ireland to join our programme, it's clear that we have enough supply for them as well and it won't make a difference to the overall speed here. No quid quo pro, just a genuine offer. That way the EU won't need to export vaccines to Ireland and no checks on the border.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

And of course Nicola
    It has to be Meeks for me.

He must have insulted every Leaver on pb.com many, many times with his ridiculous assertions.

Meeks seems to be maintaining a "dignified silence" on Twitter. Or at least a silence.
    I don't think any of this will or should change anyone's mind on brexit (and I expect ongoing polling to bear that out). This is about some hilariously inept personalities and about aspects of the EU from which we were always semi-detached anyway. Had there been no brexit I would have counted it a catastrophic failure on the part of a UK PM not to have kept us out of the joint scheme anyway, and I think under many Conservative governments that would have happened.

Has there ever in history been an international crisis of this magnitude which has been so completely and utterly hilarious? I realise and regret that it will cost lives, but most international crises do that one way or another.
  • Options
    Leon said:
    Don't worry, just open it in Acrobat and you can read the entire thing.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not disagreeing. Just saying that at the moment the groundwork is being laid as a threat. They could be bluffing.
    I suspect you are right that they will, in the end, be bluffing. Who thought they would go this far though?

They've thrown away all sorts of good will for no gain.
  • Options

Roger said:

Actually they are now owned by Reach who own the Mirror, I suspect The Express will be backing Labour soon.
    Daily Star does these days, which is part of the same group.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

I think the issue, to the extent that it exists, is purely about UK people who have had first dose Pfizer, but whose second dose might be in jeopardy.

Pfizer will have to supply those doses from the US, it's a public health risk to not give people their second dose.
  • Options

What a time to be alive.

Talking of the French, I watched Netflix show Lupin the other night. It isn't the golden age of telly level, but wasn't bad. Passed a few hours.
    I'm currently avoiding Netflix at the moment.

I still haven't recovered from watching Ride and Prejudice Bridgerton.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

The problem is that Ireland is only due 1/27th of what the EU programme is so they won't have any volume to export here. We should just make an offer to Ireland to join our programme, it's clear that we have enough supply for them as well and it won't make a difference to the overall speed here. No quid quo pro, just a genuine offer. That way the EU won't need to export vaccines to Ireland and no checks on the border.
    But if Pfizer transported 8m doses, say to the Irish border, would it count as an Irish export or a German export if it then crossed into NI?
  • Options

Given the Common Travel Area and the cross-border traffic in Ireland, there's actually quite a strong self-interest case for the UK to help the Republic with vaccines once we get supply ramped up a bit more,

Yes, we should make Ireland the offer to simply join our programme, we could easily do 50k per day for Ireland. Within existing supplies.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

They could - but the more they ratchet things up the harder it will be to back down.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

Pfizer will have to supply those doses from the US, it's a public health risk to not give people their second dose.
    Is it? I don't know what the effectiveness of Pfizer as a single jab is. Bear in mind we are already ignoring Pfizer advice on second jabs. If we are due 20m jabs and choose to use all of them on first doses, they aren't presumably obliged to rush to supply us with 20m more just because we haven't chosen to only vaccinate 10m people.
  • Options

Given the Common Travel Area and the cross-border traffic in Ireland, there's actually quite a strong self-interest case for the UK to help the Republic with vaccines once we get supply ramped up a bit more,

The number of times I heard the word solidarity today suggests that won't go down all that well in Brussels. They'll send their enforcers round to take 26/27 of whatever the UK gives.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

I suspect you are right that they will, in the end, be bluffing. Who thought they would go this far though?

You're playing a game of chess when your opponent ostentatiously takes out a revolver and starts putting bullets in the chamber. Obviously it doesn't affect the position on the board.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

But if Pfizer transported 8m doses, say to the Irish border, would it count as an Irish export or a German export if it then crossed into NI?
    Belgian export under rules of origin and subject to this export mechanism.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

So how do we increase vacc. supply so there is genuinely more now (or soon) rather than arguing over the same pie?

One possibility I can spot is for Sanofi to abandon their vaccine attempt (which I assume they are keeping manufacturing capacity aside for) and turn their manufacturing over to one of the other vaccines - Valneva looks the likeliest, as the French will never agree to AZN, and Pfizer has big issues concerning usability.

Sanofi have already agreed to produce the Pfizer jab under license I believe.

EDIT: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-27/sanofi-to-make-millions-of-biontech-pfizer-s-covid-vaccine-doses
    There's actually a lot of this going on right now, and this is another reason to get increasingly comfortable about vaccine supply going forward.

So: Bayer has already started manufacturing on behalf of CureVac, and both Novartis and Sanofi will be making the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. The Serum Institute of India is making both the AZN and Novavax vaccines.

I haven't yet seen any announcements from other people producing Moderna. But I presume they're in negotiations with people.
    Maybe - but I suspect that will be quite difficult.
    Moderna has what is for them seriously valuable IP in terms of formulating the mRNA in lipid nanoparticles for delivery, and some of that is likely to be commercial secrets rather than patentable processes. Getting them to share might take some effort.
    Is it done very differently to CureVac and Pfizer?
    I posted a link a few days back from someone who had listed the various components listed for the respective vaccines, and there were significant differences between Pfizer and Moderna.
    The details of how it's actually manufactured are obviously not public, but the characteristics of the lipid blob which encapsulates the active mRNA are important both for the stability of the molecule (which otherwise would degrade very rapidly), and getting it into cells once injected, so that it can do its stuff.

Given they've worked on this for a decade or more, I think we can guess that it is important and commercially very valuable.
    The heart of Novavax's technology is not the S protein fragment used (it's a protein vaccine), but the nanoparticle used as an adjuvant (Matrix-M is their trademarked name for it) which is based on saponin, a glycoside extracted from bark of the Soapbark Tree (Quillaja saponaria Molina), grown at certain latitudes in Chile.

Scroll down the page a bit for info: https://www.novavax.com/our-unique-technology#matrix-m-adjuvant-technology
    Yes, quite similar to the GSK/Sanofi spike-protein/adjuvant vaccine (which for whatever reason proved less effective).
  • Options

What a time to be alive.

I gave up halfway through Episode 2
  • Options

What a time to be alive.

Lupin is much tamer and en Francais...kinda Oceans Eleven / Hustle with a French Idris Elba.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

And of course Nicola

He must have insulted every Leaver on pb.com many, many times with his ridiculous assertions.

Meeks seems to be maintaining a "dignified silence" on Twitter. Or at least a silence.
    I don't think any of this will or should change anyone's mind on brexit (and I expect ongoing polling to bear that out). This is about some hilariously inept personalities and about aspects of the EU from which we were always semi-detached anyway. Had there been no brexit I would have counted it a catastrophic failure on the part of a UK PM not to have kept us out of the joint scheme anyway, and I think under many Conservative governments that would have happened.

Has there ever in history been an international crisis of this magnitude which has been so completely and utterly hilarious? I realise and regret that it will cost lives, but most international crises do that one way or another.
    Fashoda?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,502

We absolutely should - as I mentioned a few days ago. :smile: There are also of course historical instances where lots of people in Ireland died as a result of British actions, and whilst this wouldn't make up for that, it would be extremely fitting.

But the British taxpayers who footed this bill (or will foot it in coming decades) must come first.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 123
    edited January 2021
    So a bunch of people are saying as how this is it for remain, etc. The thing is that there were always two, not entirely compatible, reasons to go with remain.

One, the Culturally European one, about how Europe is the centre of civilisation, we should all be friends, we want the freedom to live and work in the EU and all live happily together. This dominated the media debate, and of the people I know who were most gutted by the vote, this was their view; which is perhaps why it did.

The other view is realpolitik. The EU is a giant power bloc. Its on our doorstep. As members, as the 2nd biggest country inside, we sat in its highest councils and had massive influence - not always decisive, but big influence. This wasn't mentioned much in the media except by a few oldies like Michael Heseltine. But it was the foundation of our foreign policy for decades.

Now we're out. And when you're a medium sized country outside a big power bloc, they don't always play nice.

Should the EU be making a vaccine trade war? No, absolutely not This is short sighted and morally repugnant. . But discredit remain? No, this is exactly why I voted remain.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,414
    RobD said:

Leon said:
    Yes, I saw that too. The EU is entering some kind of psychosis.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232
    edited January 2021
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I laughed when I saw it.
    Jones said his son had told him he felt sick when he'd heard his dad was becoming the Express editor. It transpired that his son attends Eton so it wasn't entirely clear whether it was ideological or just shame at pops punting news for the plebs.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

You're playing a game of chess when your opponent ostentatiously takes out a revolver and starts putting bullets in the chamber. Obviously it doesn't affect the position on the board.
    And taken a massive dump on table for good measure.
  • Options
    It seems pretty obvious that the EU is both

a) panicking because they are in a bad situation with their vaccine supply; and

b) have bought a bit too much into their own rhetoric about the power of the bloc, and therefore how much they can push others and get away with it.

Being a big bloc does mean you can push others around, but it's not always a good idea.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

Is it? I don't know what the effectiveness of Pfizer as a single jab is. Bear in mind we are already ignoring Pfizer advice on second jabs. If we are due 20m jabs and choose to use all of them on first doses, they aren't presumably obliged to rush to supply us with 20m more just because we haven't chosen to only vaccinate 10m people.
    We're still going to give them, just after a delayed timetable. We're getting 40m doses and once we hit 20m first doses will stop.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The number of times I heard the word solidarity today suggests that won't go down all that well in Brussels. They'll send their enforcers round to take 26/27 of whatever the UK gives.
    And that will make them look worse or better?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited January 2021
    https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1355228830517112833?s=20

But they're not going to get more vaccines.....
  • Options
    RobD said:

No problem, we can offer to jab people in NI. We'll have the centres all set up, after all.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

And of course Nicola

Fashoda?
    I'm a committed remainer, but it might be the best time to sail a couple of Aircraft Carriers 12 miles off the coast of Europe.
  • Options
    ajb said:

So a bunch of people are saying as how this is it for remain, etc. The thing is that there were always two, not entirely compatible, reasons to go with remain.

One, the Culturally European one, about how Europe is the centre of civilisation, we should all be friends, we want the freedom to live and work in the EU and all live happily together. This dominated the media debate, and of the people I know who were most gutted by the vote, this was their view; which is perhaps why it did.

The other view is realpolitik. The EU is a giant power bloc. Its on our doorstep. As members, as the 2nd biggest country inside, we sat in its highest councils and had massive influence - not always decisive, but big influence. This wasn't mentioned much in the media except by a few oldies like Michael Heseltine. But it was the foundation of our foreign policy for decades.

Now we're out. And when you're a medium sized country outside a big power bloc, they don't always play nice.

Should the EU be making a vaccine trade war? No, absolutely not This is short sighted and morally repugnant. . But discredit remain? No, this is exactly why I voted remain.

I don't think in the long term it will really affect things one way or another, but it is highlighting one of the downsides, given the pressurising they do to stop members going their own way, and removes its ability to pretend it is a beacon of rationality and good governance. It doesn't diminish the principle of the institution, but it does tarnish its reality a bit - and they clearly need to be better at self evaluating when something goes wrong.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    ajb said:

You voted remain because you were scared the EU would bully us?
  • Options
    trukattrukat Posts: 19
    ajb said:

Massive influence? we could not even stop Junker ffs. We were semi detached and mostly ignored. Gotta be all the way in or all the way out.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    MaxPB said:

It's surely option 2 coupled with an offer to integrate Ireland into the highly successful UK vaccine programme "to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland". It is the only way out of this as bringing us all back from the brink.
    Well, I suppose we could try option 2, and hope they're having a hissy fit/bluffing.

Of course, if the Irish stick with the EU vaccine program (to avoid pissing the other 26 off) then we could be on to option 3 - followed, in due course, by sealing the Irish border on sanitary grounds.

Like I said earlier, the Commission has not thought any of this through at all.
  • Options

RobD said:

No problem, we can offer to jab people in NI. We'll have the centres all set up, after all.
    Indeed, it's not a big place.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,112
    Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:
    I think Ursula von der Leyen is badly out of her depth. People laughed about Juncker but he was a much more serious politician in comparison.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Jabs no dabs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

What a time to be alive.

Lupin is much tamer and en Francais...kinda Oceans Eleven / Hustle with a French Idris Elba.
    It’s entertaining, but sadly, recent events have probably put paid to the Lupin / Sherlock Holmes mashup that Maurice Leblanc came up with.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Fenman said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

And of course Nicola

Fashoda?
    I'm a committed remainer, but it might be the best time to sail a couple of Aircraft Carriers 12 miles off the coast of Europe.
    Good luck with that the way the PoW needs a new battery or soldered connection or whatever makes the propellers go round.

AIUI, all Kitchener did with Marchand was be polite and firm and stuff him full of whisky, which the latter must have enjoyed after walking across the Sahara the long way round. But K. did have a few gunboats on the Nile.
  • Options

ajb said:

They are basically saying it's better to be the bully than the person being bullied.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,542
    edited January 2021
    If we're going to vaccinate the Republic of Ireland then we should insist they take Northern Ireland as the price.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

What a carve up.

And how many over 70s?

You voted for the insane arrangement....
  • Options
    edited January 2021

ajb said:

My dad voted remain for that reason - he said they'd screw us if we left so we should stay. Anecdotally helpful reminder that not everyone voted Leave or Remain for the most obvious of reasons.
  • Options
    Roger said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

What a carve up.

And how many over 70s?

The insane part is the EU's doing.
  • Options
    I assume he was told to bugger off and mind his own business?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:
    I think Ursula von der Leyen is badly out of her depth. People laughed about Juncker but he was a much more serious politician in comparison.
    Juncker was at least a former Prime Minister.

I don't know how much truth there is in this because I don't follow German politics, but it has been reported that von der Leyen, when German Defence Minister, became embroiled in a number of procurement scandals...
  • Options

If we're going to vaccinate the Republic of Ireland then we should they take Northern Ireland as the price.

They will, Eagles, they will.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,414
    ajb said:

China is a huge power and can push people around. Would I want the UK to be "a part of China"?

No.

Note how polling on EU membership in near-EU states like Switzerland and Norway is massively against ever joining.

"A 2018 survey of public opinion in Switzerland found only 3% considered that joining the EU was a feasible option."

https://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/norway.4n5#

"Anti-EU sentiment strong in Norway: poll"

If it's that great being in the EU you'd think these countries would want to join. They definitely do not
  • Options
    Roger said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

What a carve up.

And how many over 70s?

You voted for vaccine snatching.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

And taken a massive dump on table for good measure.
    Lol. I've actually been an arbiter at a chess congress and seen boards thrown over but fortunately no guns as yet.
This discussion has been closed.