Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In spite of the latest EU dealings those who think Brexit was wrong still have clear 8% lead with Yo

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    edited January 2021
    Heart of stone and all that ...

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1355179684091330566

Translation

From the published contract between the EU Commission and #AstraZeneca , I cannot conclude that the Commission has the contract and therefore the right on its side. Quite the contrary.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,150
    Jean-Claude Juncker would never have got the EU into this mess. :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Does anyone who has read this policy note seriously think it bans Pfizer exporting from the EU to the UK? Calm down! Read the detail.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_21_308

It gives them the mechanism to do exactly that.
    It only covers exports of vaccines procured by the EU, not vaccines procured by the UK manufactured in the EU.
    Who decides what vaccines are procured by the EU? That's the central issue here.
    Initially Pfizer (or the other drug companies), but ultimately it could be the courts.
    And now those authorising exports too.
    The UK govt doesnt seem particularly concerned. Pfizer will continue to export here.
    Not unless some pen-pusher in Brussels says so.
    The vaccines will still arrive. Its an annoying, rubbish and counter productive decision from the EU but its not a ban and wont escalate into a vaccine trade war. In a 2-3 months time there will be enough vaccines available that all wealthy countries can show good progress and their electorates will be happy.
    It's an instrument that gives them the power to restrict vaccine exports. Why would they pass such legislation if they weren't seriously considering using it?
  • Options
    Marina Hyde great again today, something to tickle everyone’s viewpoint on the vaccine farrago:

‘There is a true coach-crash quality to the EU’s reaction to being outfoxed by the UK on vaccine procurement. The commission’s pram has been dramatically emptied of all its toys. It’s like watching an endlessly patient and mild-mannered social studies teacher finally lose it and head-butt a pupil for beating him in a quiz...’

And:

‘After the past few years around the globe, it’s such a tribute to the human spirit that we can still discover new types of nationalism. The latest variant is vaccine nationalism, which – like all the other nationalisms – is grim and ends badly... For now, thank heavens for the quiet dignity of Her Majesty’s press, as Britain’s front pages have spent much of the week blaring out observations such as “ANOTHER SHOT IN THE ARM FOR BRITAIN”, “EU WHAT?”, “UNION VACC”, and “NO, EU CAN’T HAVE OUR JABS”. At the current rate of triumphalism, we’re only days off “WE HOPE EU ALL DIE OF BUREAUCRACY” and “FINE, WE’LL GIVE YOU OUR VACCINE SCRAPS BUT WE’RE ANNEXING FRANCE AS A HOLIDAY HOME”.‘

Then elegantly sashaying to:

‘Consider New Forest West MP Desmond Swayne, who really is the opposite of a vaccine success story. He’s the opposite of cerebral success story, all told, having closed 2019 defending his use of blackface, and ended 2020 claiming to an influential anti-lockdown and anti-vaxx group that NHS Covid figures “appear to have been manipulated”. ICUs were “actually operating at typical occupation levels for the time of year”, Desmond bullshitted, and the UK was “bouncing round at the typical level of deaths for the time of year”. The sort of claim that typically sparks two questions. 1. Have you recently suffered a blunt-force head trauma? 2. Would you like to?’

Since Charlie Brooker stopped writing columns I think she’s my fave columnist.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/29/nationalism-vaccine-mutation-uk-eu
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

deleted, duplicate

Are they really suggesting that the UK not export vaccines to Northern Ireland? I'm not sure I understand it properly.
    No they're saying since exports from EU to NI could end up in the UK, the export ban extends to NI too.

So much for NI having an open border with Ireland. 🤔

Oh and this isn't about targeting Britain. But they're banning NI to ensure that's not a backdoor to Britain.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Does anyone who has read this policy note seriously think it bans Pfizer exporting from the EU to the UK? Calm down! Read the detail.

It only covers exports of vaccines procured by the EU, not vaccines procured by the UK manufactured in the EU.
    Who decides what vaccines are procured by the EU? That's the central issue here.
    Initially Pfizer (or the other drug companies), but ultimately it could be the courts.
    The UK govt doesnt seem particularly concerned. Pfizer will continue to export here.
    The vaccines will still arrive. Its an annoying, rubbish and counter productive decision from the EU but its not a ban and wont escalate into a vaccine trade war. In a 2-3 months time there will be enough vaccines available that all wealthy countries can show good progress and their electorates will be happy.
    But Pfizer has shortages in production right now. What happens if some Eurocrat disagrees with them over how much they are sending to the UK?
  • Options

Actually I agree
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

It's an instrument that gives them the power to restrict vaccine exports. Why would they pass such legislation if they weren't seriously considering using it?
    It explicitly does not give them the power to stop vaccines procured by the UK being exported, it simply requires notification. To stop it being exported they would have to show in a court that the vaccine was procured by the EU not the UK, which if its anything like the AZ contract, they wont be able to do.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

deleted, duplicate

Are they really suggesting that the UK not export vaccines to Northern Ireland? I'm not sure I understand it properly.
    No, other way round I think. Supplies from ROI or elsewhere in EU going to NI will be considered exports notwithstanding our trade deal kept NI much closer to the single market.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited January 2021

MaxPB said:

deleted, duplicate

No they're saying since exports from EU to NI could end up in the UK, the export ban extends to NI too.

So much for NI having an open border with Ireland. 🤔

Oh and this isn't about targeting Britain. But they're banning NI to ensure that's not a backdoor to Britain.
    You’d have had money on us activating the protocol first (and being hammered for it). Now they’ve surrendered all that moral high ground. It’s just a thing we each do now. What on earth is their strategy?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

It explicitly does not give them the power to stop vaccines procured by the UK being exported, it simply requires notification. To stop it being exported they would have to show in a court that the vaccine was procured by the EU not the UK, which if its anything like the AZ contract, they wont be able to do.
    It isn't just for notification, exporters now need permission to export:

These exports will be subject to an early notification and authorisation before they are effectively shipped outside the EU.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

That EU ambassador I said we should speak to, we should expel him.

He doesn't have diplomatic immunity, does he? So we can just arrest him.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,372

rcs1000 said:

I was wrong: it appears the EU is being stupid enough to actually restrict exports.

It is the notification system, not the ban.
    This is my understanding too. It creates the framework for an export ban but is not, as we speak, an export ban, defining this to be a ban on exports. And I do hope it doesn't evolve in that direction. It would be absolutely NOT what the doctor ordered as regards fighting this global pandemic.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

deleted, duplicate

No, they are saying that they are excluding NI from the normal rule that NI/EU trade is not restricted (presumably because they think perfidious Albion would try to smuggle vaccines pinched from the EU allocation through NI). Bonkers again, and a very bad precedent for the NI protocol. It was supposed to be Boris who'd try to wriggle out of it, not the EU.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    What the fuck are the EU doing?!?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
  • Options
    Fishing said:

No, no, no

Paging Morris Dancer - We need the trebuchet.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

I don't think even they know anymore. The beast is uncontrollable and at best just individuals acting with no authority and no accountability.
  • Options
    But a nice subtle dig all the same
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

I cannot recall a single event uniting this forum in a way the EU trashing their brand has done

It is remarkable and where it leaves Nicola Sturgeon and her devotion to this discredited bunch of politicians and bureaucrats is anyone guess

Potentially completely sunk, but it very much depends on how crazy the EU goes. But speculation about that would be jumping the gun. As I said a little earlier, so far it's all hot air and paper shuffling. They haven't done anything substantive at all yet.
  • Options

Having a collective mental breakdown / hissy fit in real time?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,031

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

But they could say that the vaccine makes up part of the EU's outstanding order.
  • Options
    Chris said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

I wonder when the penny will drop in Berlaymont that all this will look even more stupid in a few weeks' time when the UK has continued to roll out the jabs and the EU's programme has gone backwards?

Especially given that we've got Novavax coming and the EU can't block Moderna as it's made in Switzerland.

I don't understand what the hell is going on in Brussels. They've all taken leave of their senses.
    Novavax being one that the EU are only now in the process of negotiating contracts for.
    We should just go in and gazzump them. For shits and giggles.
    The tragic thing is that the people the EU have done most damage to in this affair is their own citizens, and God knows they don't deserve to be in this mess without enough vaccine.
    Yes, that's what the EU are trying to make everyone forget with these shenanigans. European people who should have been served much better are going to suffer because these Eurocrats were not up to the job of securing vaccine manufacturing and supply deals in the period of June 2020-September 2020. They let all of their deals rumble on for months while they haggled over price meaning companies who are unable to begin manufacturing until after the ink is dry are under unnecessary pressure to ramp up unreliable processes.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

But Pfizer has shortages in production right now. What happens if some Eurocrat disagrees with them over how much they are sending to the UK?
    It would go to court. Judging by the AZ contract and legal reaction to it, if the contract is similar then the EU will struggle to overrule Pfizer's call on which vaccines are due to which country in court.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1355190788259508226

This is going to get more and more ugly.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

deleted, duplicate

No, they are saying that they are excluding NI from the normal rule that NI/EU trade is not restricted (presumably because they think perfidious Albion would try to smuggle vaccines pinched from the EU allocation through NI). Bonkers again, and a very bad precedent for the NI protocol. It was supposed to be Boris who'd try to wriggle out of it, not the EU.
    Thanks, tbh, I think the people of NI will be happy to stick with UK supplies anyway.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Isn't it going to generate some paperwork that shows a certain number of doses being exported from the Pfizer plant in the EU to the UK?

Given the relative per capita levels of vaccinations, won't that generate demands for those exports to be blocked, especially now that they've claimed EU doses of the AZ vaccine have been stolen by the UK?

They've created a situation where it will be hard for them to avoid further escalation.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Yes, but no doubt it was predicted the EU would not even go this far. They are talking about a vaccine war and blaming the UK for wanting it. Their intentions may be to bluster but might accidentally lead to more.
  • Options
    Paging the DUP and UUP. Sharpen those attack lines chaps...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    That's quite a gap between the fastest & slowest:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1355189454969987080?s=20
  • Options
    Isn't that close to 8.5 million doses?

Stunning.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

We'll see. I shouldn't think many people will forget this.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

MaxPB said:

deleted, duplicate

Yes, and presumably such a heavy-handed response equips the UK Government with the excuse to seal the border to keep the North safe from dirty unjabbed Southerners? They've not thought any of this through.
  • Options

NI not taking any crap from Wales now.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Disagree. This from the linked press release seems pretty clear:

"In deciding whether to grant an export authorisation under this Regulation, Member States, together with the Commission, shall assess whether the volume of exports is not such that it poses a threat to the execution of the Advance Purchase Agreements the EU has concluded with vaccine manufacturers.

Upon receiving the request, Member States immediately seek the agreement of the Commission.

In order to allow the relevant authorities to assess the request for export authorisation, vaccine producers subject to this Regulation are requested to provide relevant data on their exports since 29 October 2020 toghether with their first request for export authorisation."

If the Commission doesn't like the look of the numbers, no authorisation, no export.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    edited January 2021
    Chris said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

I wonder when the penny will drop in Berlaymont that all this will look even more stupid in a few weeks' time when the UK has continued to roll out the jabs and the EU's programme has gone backwards?

Especially given that we've got Novavax coming and the EU can't block Moderna as it's made in Switzerland.

I don't understand what the hell is going on in Brussels. They've all taken leave of their senses.
    Novavax being one that the EU are only now in the process of negotiating contracts for.
    The tragic thing is that the people the EU have done most damage to in this affair is their own citizens, and God knows they don't deserve to be in this mess without enough vaccine.
    But in trying to get vaccine on the cheap - by letting us pay 7x their contribution and then riding on our coat-tails - they really have left themselves open to us walking in to these manufacturers and saying "Name your price. We'll take the lot." Because ultimately, the EU would HAVE to buy it from us. At a premium. Whatever it costs, it is still going to be cheaper than the ongoing damage to their economy.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Interesting overview of the vagaries of vaccine production for mRNA, adenovirus, and killed virus technologies. Interestingly, the protein vaccine approach (Novavax) is not described (although the comments in relation to enzymes' role in mRNA vaccine production also apply)

https://apnews.com/article/why-its-hard-to-make-vaccines-explained-9173d65f7da50eee432d43d36769c516
  • Options
    Floater said:

Fishing said:

No, no, no

French did that to an English messenger they captured at the Battle of Auberoche, fired him back into the castle!

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Doesn't Scotland have an older, fatter, unhealthier population than England, too? So it's even more serious for them than it looks that they're lagging so far behind.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Disagree. This from the linked press release seems pretty clear:

"In deciding whether to grant an export authorisation under this Regulation, Member States, together with the Commission, shall assess whether the volume of exports is not such that it poses a threat to the execution of the Advance Purchase Agreements the EU has concluded with vaccine manufacturers.

Upon receiving the request, Member States immediately seek the agreement of the Commission.

In order to allow the relevant authorities to assess the request for export authorisation, vaccine producers subject to this Regulation are requested to provide relevant data on their exports since 29 October 2020 toghether with their first request for export authorisation."

If the Commission doesn't like the look of the numbers, no authorisation, no export.
    The UK's vaccine rollout is now partially at the mercy of a faceless bureaucrat somewhere in Brussels.
  • Options

Floater said:

Fishing said:

No, no, no

French did that to an English messenger they captured at the Battle of Auberoche, fired him back into the castle!

I imagine it didn't end well for him?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

He'd have got it sorted over a G & T or 10!
  • Options

WTF is going on in Scotland?

Last thing Sturgeon needs now is a narrative about her doing worse than Boris in the rollout. It won't take much swing to prevent her gaining an SNP majority and then all the constitutional arguments vanish.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,770

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Their FAQ says they have the power to grant or refuse an export authorisation.

In deciding whether to grant an export authorisation under this Regulation, Member States, together with the Commission, shall assess whether the volume of exports is not such that it poses a threat to the execution of the Advance Purchase Agreements the EU has concluded with vaccine manufacturers.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Doesn't Scotland have an older, fatter, unhealthier population than England, too? So it's even more serious for them than it looks that they're lagging so far behind.
    Wales have made up for their poor start - good stuff
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Chris said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

But in trying to get vaccine on the cheap - by letting us pay 7x their contribution and then riding on our coat-tails - they really have left themselves open to us walking in to these manufacturers and saying "Name your price. We'll take the lot." Because ultimately, the EU would HAVE to buy it from us. At a premium. Whatever it costs, it is still going to be cheaper than the ongoing damage to their economy.
    The whole thing is self-inflicted by the EU. But the ordinary people in the EU are in the worst mess as a result.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Chris said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

The desperate want to gloat uncontrollably at the EU completely screwing this up and going mad about it, is only tempered by the fact that there’s several thousand Europeans dying of this terrible virus every day.

In any other circumstance, I’d be rolling on the floor laughing, but would instead rather my parents get their full vaccines.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,580
    RobD said:

RobD said:

England in danger.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

MaxPB said:

deleted, duplicate

I don't see how we can pretend the Brexit deal means anything now, at the first sign of trouble and in the most serious of circumstances the EU has decided unilaterally to junk the deal as we understood it. How we can treat the EU as a serious trade and security partner after this is beyond me. This is the kind of nonsense we worry about with China, but it's happening with our neighbours.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

England in danger.
    Makes sense that smaller, more nimble countries are doing better. ;)
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited January 2021
    felix said:

He'd have got it sorted over a G & T or 10!
    To be fair, in the last few years Barroso has started to look like a political giant by contrast with his successors.
  • Options
    MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

In deciding whether to grant an export authorisation under this Regulation, Member States, together with the Commission, shall assess whether the volume of exports is not such that it poses a threat to the execution of the Advance Purchase Agreements the EU has concluded with vaccine manufacturers.
    Sure, but the decision isnt just a preference of some bureaucrat, procedures that stand up to the lawyers of Pfizer and AZ need to be applied.

"This is not an export ban. This measure would specifically target exports of COVID-19 vaccines covered by an Advance Purchase Agreement (APA) with the EU."

If its vaccines covered by an APA with the UK rather than the EU it will be allowed to be exported.
  • Options

60% alcohol saturation kills the virus doesn’t it?...
    That's true.

Where is absinthe made?
  • Options
    It's turning into a smear campaign.
  • Options
    Jesus Christ! Are they mad?!!! What’s happened to them?
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sure, but the decision isnt just a preference of some bureaucrat, procedures that stand up to the lawyers of Pfizer and AZ need to be applied.

"This is not an export ban. This measure would specifically target exports of COVID-19 vaccines covered by an Advance Purchase Agreement (APA) with the EU."

If its vaccines covered by an APA with the UK rather than the EU it will be allowed to be exported.
    No, it's not an export ban. But it could turn into one if the authorisation is not granted.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited January 2021
    Floater said:

Fishing said:

No, no, no

There are different types of diplomatic visas, conferring different levels of immunity. 'Diplomat' vs 'Fonctionnaire' is one distinction (or at least, used to be when I served). Here is a link to the different visas the US doles out.

https://immsolutionsllc.com/immigration/diplomatic-visas

When I turned up at JFK on my way to work at the UN with an A-1 visa, I got a LOT of questions from Immigration.
  • Options
    I wonder why France has the least trust in vaccines!
  • Options

Floater said:

Fishing said:

No, no, no

What a fantastic piece of art - so many bland siege/battle pieces, but that one knows how to grab attention!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,630
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    MattW said:

60% alcohol saturation kills the virus doesn’t it?...
    That's true.

Where is absinthe made?
    I don't know where it is made - but it makes the heart grow fonder ...

Oh, my coat
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100k population

• Options
    edited January 2021
    That'll help the anti-vaxx publicin France. Heck, even if it was only 10% effective that would still be better than nothing (albeit not what would be apporved generally) if nothing else were available.
  • Options
    UK local R

• Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I think you're missing the point. It will take 3 years for the issue to be resolved in the courts but meanwhile, right or wrong, the vaccines DO NOT LEAVE THE EU, because they don't have the authorisation under this fake fairness protection system that the Commission has just pulled out of its a*se !
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

England in danger.
    What about Scotland ? *innocent face***
  • Options
    UK Hospitals

• Options
    UK Deaths

Data is late today
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

The whole thing is self-inflicted by the EU. But the ordinary people in the EU are in the worst mess as a result.
    Totally agree.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    I'm finding this thread boringly one sided and partisan - is there anyone out there to help Kinabalu and None of the Above - what's happened to you. These people need help! Now! We have a serious Remain shortage. Paging! Paging! They can't all have urgent vaccine appointments surely.
  • Options
    Floater said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

England in danger.
    What about Scotland ? *innocent face***
    To be fair, I think that was the decision to really focus on care homes, above the general population. I can see advantages and disadvantages to that approach.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    RobD said:

It's turning into a smear campaign.
    Based upon current data that is quite simply a lie, on a par with something Trump might have said.
  • Options

As the Covid Wars commence, has anybody noticed that Scott_P hasn't been retweeting from the front? I hope he hasn't copped a stray shell.

"No, my father didn't fight in the Covid wars. He was a navigator on a Vaccine Refrigerator."
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I think you're missing the point. It will take 3 years for the issue to be resolved in the courts but meanwhile, right or wrong, the vaccines DO NOT LEAVE THE EU, because they don't have the authorisation under this fake fairness protection system that the Commission has just pulled out of its a*se !
    Pfizer: (producing perfect supporting paperwork) "these vaccines are part of the UK order"

EC: "we disagree. Authorisation refused. Here's our address for service of claim"
  • Options
    RobD said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

No, it's not an export ban. But it could turn into one if the authorisation is not granted.
    Agreed!
  • Options
    UK R

from case data

from hospitalisation data

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,510
    kle4 said:

I remember fondly the sincerity with which Boris haters predicted he'd fuck up vaccine procurement and then delivery.

Predicting Boris will mess things up is not, in general terms, unreasonable, given the views of many on his record. Not altering position if he does not end up doing so is a different matter.
    That's the tie between Bozo and Churchill. While both of them were ultimately dependent on the abilities of those around them...

Churchill tested the limits as to how one man could turn things around for the better.

Bozo tests the limits as to how one man can mess things up.

• Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

To which the EU will argue that they have contract for 30m vaccines, so the first 30m off the line are not for export.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Export checks have always been a thinly veiled mechanism for export bans. To deny this is to deny that we need oxygen to live.
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,974

WTF is going on in Scotland?

Last thing Sturgeon needs now is a narrative about her doing worse than Boris in the rollout. It won't take much swing to prevent her gaining an SNP majority and then all the constitutional arguments vanish.
    SNP plus Greens, remember.
  • Options

RobD said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Agreed!
    You earlier said that it explicitly did not give them the power to stop vaccines procured by the UK? It does, because they can just claim it was for the EU as per the current row with AZN.
  • Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    Just an FYI, I don't expect an AZ claim would necessarily take months if it is in London.

I would expect the High Court to hear it in 2-3 weeks, plus the hearing and time for judgment. however that timeline of course starts with the claim being brought, which might take some time in itself.
  • Options

UK R

from case data

from hospitalisation data

Tha UK R rate for case data does look to have been stubbornly flat-lining for 10 days or so.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Morning team I'm back for a bit.

I am super interested in the minutiae (the technicalities) of the contract.

As people will know, my initial reaction was that the EU looked to be justified in their contention that AZN was not honouring their contract. The fact that it was signed with AZN AB I think is/was a bit tricksy by AZN.

And a lot of hot air about it was justified, if only for internal consumption.

Equally, they, like we, see this as an existential threat to their citizens and hence every jab could help to save a life so it is indeed a life and death matter. And they have a duty to their Member States' citizenry.

Finally, I still can't believe that this is something they would do. We are in difficult times for everything including it seems for vaccine supply and everyone is having to adapt.

But if they really are thinking of imposing an export ban on UK-bound vaccine stocks they can go and treble fuck themselves.

This was my favourite detail so far:

https://twitter.com/dudsinbxls/status/1355146313822822402
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

The desperate want to gloat uncontrollably at the EU completely screwing this up and going mad about it, is only tempered by the fact that there’s several thousand Europeans dying of this terrible virus every day.

In any other circumstance, I’d be rolling on the floor laughing, but would instead rather my parents get their full vaccines.
    No matter how badly this damages the EU or helps the Leave argument I would still be happier if it hadn't happened. A bit of political one up man ship is not worth all those unnecessary deaths.

Exactly. It would be hilarious, were it not literally a matter of life and death.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I don't expect the EU vaccine debacle to have a huge impact on the right/wrong polling although the field dates on this poll don't really cover the growing story.

What has become clear is it has softened the approach of most of the hardened Europhiles (FBPE sorts on twitter) many of whom now appear to be keeping schtum or tweeting about their second favourite topic (U.S. politics) instead. Perhaps this story may lead some of them to the realisation that the E.U. is not the nice cuddly force for good they previously assumed it was.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

No matter how badly this damages the EU or helps the Leave argument I would still be happier if it hadn't happened. A bit of political one up man ship is not worth all those unnecessary deaths.

This is the sort of scenario where an EU Commission should benefit from not having to stand for election and not having to service the whims of voters. And yet, we get this. I am just amazed - this isn’t the EU I thought I knew. I wanted to leave, but I’d have put money on the Commission doing this stuff well. What’s happened?
  • Options
    felix said:

I'm finding this thread boringly one sided and partisan - is there anyone out there to help Kinabalu and None of the Above - what's happened to you. These people need help! Now! We have a serious Remain shortage. Paging! Paging! They can't all have urgent vaccine appointments surely.

*Your call cannot be answered at this time. Please try later."
This discussion has been closed.