Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump down to a 14% chance on Betfair as the post election battles continue – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Georgia looks good for Biden to me. That gap is fast shrinking.

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1324222303576723456?s=20
  • Options
    The last batch of 2500 counted in Georgia split 78/22 Biden.

He's on track to win Georgia.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    GA just closed to 25,000.

Latest report 4,500 - 1,300
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    And once again, in Georgia the Republican Senate candidate (50.1%) is outperforming the President (49.65%), a pattern which we have seen elsewhere. It's very unusual.

This calls a lie to the nonsense (HYUFD) that Donald Trump would be the GOP candidate in 2024. He's a liability and the knives are sharpening in the Republican party.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Ha, Spectator had three US-election-based covers ready to go, and waited until the last possible minute to choose the middle option.
    https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1324063213080793090
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Georgia looks good for Biden to me. That gap is fast shrinking.

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1324222303576723456?s=20

Here's a comment by Sarah Frostenson on 538 a couple of hours ago:
    "Meanwhile, Georgia, which has turned out to be a really competitive race (less than a percentage point separates Trump and Biden), is still at 95 percent of the expected vote reporting, but almost all of Georgia’s counties where the vote is outstanding are blue counties, like Fulton (Atlanta). However, according to a Georgia elections official, as of 8:30 p.m. ET, Biden needs to win 64 percent of the outstanding vote to overtake Trump. That might prove a tall order, but this is definitely the closest toss-up state we’ve seen in this presidential race — compared to, say, Ohio and Iowa."
  • Options
    Also an earlier comment from Nate Silver in which he was far less positive about Biden's chances in Arizona than last night. Previously he thought it was "likely Biden" but shouldn't have been called. Now he just says it would be Biden if he was forced to choose, but he thinls the calls should be retracted.
  • Options
    I know it’s the Daily Mail, but a good piece nonetheless on the Senate and House races.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8913935/Democrats-face-tough-questions-predictions-come-short-House-Senate-races.html

Potential nightmare for an incoming President Biden, if the Republicans hold the Senate and can block his appointments.
  • Options
    Also on 538 Geoffrey Skelley a couple of hours ago trying to evaluate the balance of outstanding mail ballots in Pennsylvania. At that time he said about 763,000 were to come. Some from Republican areas. But a quarter from the Philadelphia area, including 120,000 from Philadelphia proper. Also 85,000 from Democratic-leaning Allegheny and Lehigh counties.

This all seems a bit more up in the air than I thought it would when I went to bed last night.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yes, the last vote report from AZ was 44,000-30,000 - if the rest are that ratio then Trump wins.

And that report was from Maricopa. Biden has to hope it wasn't typical of Maricopa - ie it was more rural and less Phoenix.

But it was a bit puzzling as it wasn't Election day vote and the remaining vote isn't Election day either.
  • Options
    Looking at the shocking scenes in Arizona and elsewhere, as mobs of Trump supporters seek to stop vote counts and intimidate election workers, I am reminded once more of how many Tories inside and outside the government are desperate for him to win.
  • Options
    GA closes to 22,500

Last batch again approx 3:1
  • Options
    MikeL said:

GA closes to 22,500

Georgia is going to be awfully close!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Looking at the shocking scenes in Arizona and elsewhere, as mobs of Trump supporters seek to stop vote counts and intimidate election workers, I am reminded once more of how many Tories inside and outside the government are desperate for him to win.

Zzzzzz
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Bf

Biden 1.17
    Trump 6.8
  • Options
    ping said:

Bf

Biden 1.17
    Trump 6.8

That might be worth a fiver on the incumbent, I fear there’s still some way to go until we get a final result.
  • Options
    Biden needs to win remaining GA vote about 2:1.

Recent reports have been pretty consistently about 3:1- but caution needed as some will come from less Biden friendly counties.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

GA closes to 22,500

With Biden winning from here I reckon.
    Sandpit said:

I know it’s the Daily Mail, but a good piece nonetheless on the Senate and House races.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8913935/Democrats-face-tough-questions-predictions-come-short-House-Senate-races.html

Potential nightmare for an incoming President Biden, if the Republicans hold the Senate and can block his appointments.

The Senate race is not quite over. It looks like the two January Georgia run offs (Perdue likely to drop below 50%) may decide it. I'm assuming Tillis holds off Cunningham in NC.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Minimum 14,000 to come from Fulton County - should be 3:1 so Biden should gain approx 7,000 more there.

(14,000 still to process - possibility some more have been processed but result not yet on website)
  • Options
    Where are you getting the 3:1 Mike? In fact, where are you getting your results? Biden has been pulling 78/22.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited November 2020

And once again, in Georgia the Republican Senate candidate (50.1%) is outperforming the President (49.65%), a pattern which we have seen elsewhere. It's very unusual.

This calls a lie to the nonsense (HYUFD) that Donald Trump would be the GOP candidate in 2024. He's a liability and the knives are sharpening in the Republican party.

I think you can make a good case that even where he's underperforming his party, he's driven turnout for the party that a duller candidate wouldn't have managed.

That said, letting him lose angrily seems pretty great for the GOP:
    - GOP base think they woz robbed, fired up for mid-terms
    - Biden can't really get anything done, Dem base will be miffed
    - Good chance of holding Senate, regaining House, holding/gaining statehouses
    - 2024 to be either a decrepid Biden, loony left or a Californian centre-left VP who isn't very good
  • Options

I think you can make a good case that even where he's underperforming his party, he's driven turnout for the party that a duller candidate wouldn't have managed.

- Base think they woz robbed, fired up for mid-terms
    - Biden can't really do anything, base will be miffed
    - 2024 to be either a decrepid Biden, loony left or a Californian centre-left VP who isn't very good
    A lot of wishful thinking in there
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

That’s true, it it also underlines one way in which the British system is superior. We count fast. It’s done and dusted by morning, before anyone can interfere. The US is slooooooow.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ping said:

Bf

Biden 1.17
    Trump 6.8

That might be worth a fiver on the incumbent, I fear there’s still some way to go until we get a final result.
    Throwing away money, I fear.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,699
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

TimT said:

So, if Biden just pulls off GA from the remaining, it's 269:269

I've got £25 at 26/1 with Betfair Sports on that outcome. £25 was the maximum bet allowed.
    For the good of humanity, I hope you lose the bet.
    I'd prefer my prediction to be right.

The only way for Trump to win is to have an amazing series of results in nearly all the remaining states. The only time that sort of thing happened before was in 2016. 😊
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    MikeL said:

Biden needs to win remaining GA vote about 2:1.

Recent reports have been pretty consistently about 3:1- but caution needed as some will come from less Biden friendly counties.

Even in GOP counties mail n ballots favour Biden.
  • Options

Where are you getting the 3:1 Mike? In fact, where are you getting your results? Biden has been pulling 78/22.

I said approx 3:1 - which is 75%. If you have 78% that's close enough!

I'm looking at Fox website which is ahead of CNN. Decision Desk is between the two!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

GA closes to 22,500

Biden needs to lead by about 55-45 in the remaining votes.

If (per 538) they come from predominantly Republican areas, that wouldn't be expected for overall voting, but a 10-point lead in postal votes doesn't seem out of the question even in mainly Republican areas.

It depends on how strongly Democrats in Georgia preferred postal voting. I can't see any figures. Does anyone know?
  • Options
    Fox GA

Trump - 2,430,156
    Biden - 2,407,589
  • Options
    Perdue is on the verge of dropping below 50%. So that will mean two Senate run-offs January in Georgia

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1324235174641651712?s=20
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That’s true, it it also underlines one way in which the British system is superior. We count fast. It’s done and dusted by morning, before anyone can interfere. The US is slooooooow.
    But can anyone imagine a British prime minister even trying to interfere? It's difficult to imagine even of Farage.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

GA closes to 22,500

Biden needs to lead by about 55-45 in the remaining votes.

If (per 538) they come from predominantly Republican areas, that wouldn't be expected for overall voting, but a 10-point lead in postal votes doesn't seem out of the question even in mainly Republican areas.

It depends on how strongly Democrats in Georgia preferred postal voting. I can't see any figures. Does anyone know?
    Yeah it's breaking 4 to 1 at the moment for Biden (roughly).

A lot of Atlanta votes still to come esp Fulton County.

Biden will win Georgia
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Trump supporters are un-ironically calling for every vote to be counted in Nevada and Arizona while demanding that vote counting should stop elsewhere.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

GA closes to 22,500

If (per 538) they come from predominantly Republican areas,
    I don't think Nate has had his best 24 hours to be honest
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Chris said:

Jonathan said:

But can anyone imagine a British prime minister even trying to interfere? It's difficult to imagine even of Farage.
    Farage would, no doubt about it. Boris would too if he thought it would save him. The key thing is they can’t, it’s too quick. You get a final result before the courts open or the mob wakes up. Politically it’s too late.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Trump supporters are un-ironically calling for every vote to be counted in Nevada and Arizona while demanding that vote counting should stop elsewhere.

A sad reminder that democracy is precious.
  • Options

- Base think they woz robbed, fired up for mid-terms
    - Biden can't really do anything, base will be miffed
    A lot of wishful thinking in there
    I don't wish for any of that to be right (except to the extent that it incentivizes right-wing judges to cut Trump off) but that's how I'd see it.

Slightly different picture if the Dems win the GA runoff, but I expect the GOP will be more motivated.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Sandpit said:

ping said:

Bf

Biden 1.17
    Trump 6.8

I’m on Biden since before the results @1.5 for a fair chunk.

Holding firm.

It was a piss poor bet though. One of the worst value (winning?) bets in the history of political betting.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Where Britain does need to sharpen up its act on intimidation is inside polling stations -- no groups; no cameras.
  • Options
    British democracy is seriously flawed, but I would take it over US democracy.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Another reason why it’s preferable to have all the votes counted within a few hours, it much reduces the window of opportunity for people to cry foul on some technicality - and for a bunch of partisan idiots to look like partisan idiots.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Jonathan said:

I would expect attempts here to be much less overt and much more in advance of a vote because of the speed we get a result once the election happens. It would be much more focused on voter suppression and nobbling the Electoral Commission and any role for the courts. Each move on its own might be relatively inconsequential and defensible. Combined, they’d add up. Then let FPTP do the rest.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Farage would, no doubt about it. Boris would too if he thought it would save him. The key thing is they can’t, it’s too quick. You get a final result before the courts open or the mob wakes up. Politically it’s too late.
    Maybe Boris if he could do it without anyone finding out.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Indeed.

Imo France has the fairest/best electoral system for choosing the head of state.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

Perdue is on the verge of dropping below 50%. So that will mean two Senate run-offs January in Georgia

I do hope it goes to a runoff and Perdue loses. Not just because Perdue is a vile human being who is unfit to be a parish councillor, but because Osoff duffing up McConnell in the Senate would be hilarious.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Jonathan said:

I can certainly imagine a British Prime Minister breaking the spending rules to stop Farage winning a seat, because that is what happened.
  • Options
    All 33.5 million votes in the Brexit referendum were counted in 9 hours between 10pm and 7am.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    So if my reckoning is correct, at the end of today (ish) the Senate race will be 50-48. That's with Dan Sullivan winning in Alaska which looks likely (50% counted and he's 2:1 ahead) and Tillis holding off Cunningham which is probable but not certain (93% votes counted and a 1.8% lead).

That will leave the two Georgia Senate races in January to decide the Senate.

Leaving the Daily Mail's breathless rush to diss President Biden's hopes more a case of party politicking. They're clearly miffed that their boy Boris is about to be sent to Coventry.
  • Options
    ping said:

Jonathan said:

Indeed.

Imo France has the fairest/best electoral system for choosing the head of state.
    Alongside a really accurate exit poll, that allows for great value betting as the votes are counted.
  • Options

Chris said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

GA closes to 22,500

If (per 538) they come from predominantly Republican areas,
    I don't think Nate has had his best 24 hours to be honest
    It was definitely odd to tell people they wouldn't know anything until the polls closed and then to post those tweets about Florida turnout figures looking good for Biden.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Jonathan said:

It appears that steps were taken to prevent the mail-in ballots from being counted beforehand, which is exacerbating the problem.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/04/politics/why-mail-in-ballots-were-counted-late-in-states-like-pennsylvania-and-michigan/index.html
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I do hope it goes to a runoff and Perdue loses. Not just because Perdue is a vile human being who is unfit to be a parish councillor, but because Osoff duffing up McConnell in the Senate would be hilarious.
    It would!!!!! :smiley:

His viral take-down of Perdue was glorious.
  • Options
    ping said:

Sandpit said:

ping said:

Bf

Biden 1.17
    Trump 6.8

I’m on Biden since before the results @1.5 for a fair chunk.

Holding firm.

It was a piss poor bet though. One of the worst value (winning?) bets in the history of political betting.
    No, 1.5 was good value based on the polls and models giving Biden a 90 per cent or greater chance.

It was still a bad bet because it was foreseeable that the price would drift to create an even better value bet, but not bad value in itself. (Yeah, me too.)
  • Options

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

I can certainly imagine a British Prime Minister breaking the spending rules to stop Farage winning a seat, because that is what happened.
    I was talking about trying to interfere with the counting of votes really. I know politicians of all parties will do whatever they can get away with on spending rules.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Farage conceded a vote he won didnt he?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    ping said:

Jonathan said:

Indeed.

Yes, the 2 stage election, weeks apart, is a fine system that minimises the need for tactical voting, and is even better than AV. The final two are clear, and the second stage allows a pause for thought. Do you really want Le Pen?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Another reason why it’s preferable to have all the votes counted within a few hours, it much reduces the window of opportunity for people to cry foul on some technicality - and for a bunch of partisan idiots to look like partisan idiots.
    Analogous to the bizarre decades-on-death-row thing. Just get on with it, in both cases.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    And re. this War Game scenario that the Mail want, I don't think that's going to be the way of it. America is about to change tack. Joe Biden is going to be conciliar and the GOP will be altering once they've stuck the knife into Trump.

I think we may return to some proper politics: where the President and Congress have to work off each other to get things done. Yes, if the GOP control the Senate by 1 or 2 seats (likely) they will sometimes stymie the President but a lot of the time I think pragmatism will take over. Biden is not Trump. He will be much more conciliar and there will be big attempts to pull the nation together especially through the pandemic.

I might myself be accused of wishful thinking, but that's my reading of it. We're going to see a big change in how politics looks and sounds in the US.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Foxy said:

ping said:

Jonathan said:

Indeed.

Yes, the 2 stage election, weeks apart, is a fine system that minimises the need for tactical voting, and is even better than AV. The final two are clear, and the second stage allows a pause for thought. Do you really want Le Pen?
    Eventually, the answer will be yes. Of course, one could argue that by the point that happens Le Pen won't be considered much of an extremist.

That said, they really weren't all that far off Le Pen v Melenchon in 2017, which would have been hilarious.
  • Options

And re. this War Game scenario that the Mail want, I don't think that's going to be the way of it. America is about to change tack. Joe Biden is going to be conciliar and the GOP will be altering once they've stuck the knife into Trump.

I think we may return to some proper politics: where the President and Congress have to work off each other to get things done. Yes, if the GOP control the Senate by 1 or 2 seats (likely) they will sometimes stymie the President but a lot of the time I think pragmatism will take over. Biden is not Trump. He will be much more conciliar and there will be big attempts to pull the nation together especially through the pandemic.

I might myself be accused of wishful thinking, but that's my reading of it. We're going to see a big change in how politics looks and sounds in the US.

Cant really see that until they ditch Pelosi
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Sandpit said:

ping said:

Jonathan said:

Indeed.

Alongside a really accurate exit poll, that allows for great value betting as the votes are counted.
    Hmm. No so sure tbh

Strictly from a political betting standpoint, the more complicated/ridiculous the electoral system, the greater the advantage to us psephopunting geeks.

We’re able to spot the value while the mug punters and partisans get misled.
  • Options
    PA just added 16,000 - 5,000.

Gap now down to 153,000.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Talking of Puerto Rico voting for statehood, there's been a sharp drop in its population recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Puerto_Rico
  • Options

I think that’s right. If Biden wins we’ll obviously see a very different kind of presidency and Republicans will not be thanked if they fail to recognise that and carry on in full Trump mode.

• Options

Yes, a return to conciliatory politics requires all the hyper-partisans on both sides to stand aside. Pelosi and McConnell are both part of the problem and feed off each other.
  • Options

And re. this War Game scenario that the Mail want, I don't think that's going to be the way of it. I think America is about to change tack. Joe Biden is going to be conciliar and I think the GOP will be altering once they've stuck the knife into Trump.

I might myself be accused of wishful thinking, but that's my reading of it. I think we're going to see a big change in how politics looks and sounds in the US.

Biden is not Trump but the GOP is, and has been for some time, hardline and hyperpartisan. It was Mitch McConnell in the Senate, and not President Trump who blocked Obama administration appointments and stacked the courts. It was the GOP that repeatedly shut down government under Clinton and Obama. If the putative President Biden thinks he will earn any concessions by appointing Republicans to his administration, he is a braver man than I.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,593
    Wishing people success who are trying to surf the numbers ..... :-)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes, a return to conciliatory politics requires all the hyper-partisans on both sides to stand aside. Pelosi and McConnell are both part of the problem and feed off each other.
    The US needs a good clear out of its ageing politicians. If it gets lucky this will be the last of the Zimmerframe elections for a while.
  • Options
    The. If question for me is if Trump loses will the GOP remain united or will the old GOP reassert itself?
  • Options

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Not technically conceded more sayiing he felt leave had just fallen short (well its Farage and he needs to be on the telly with something to say of course!) Farage though is more willing to make calls (even wrong ones) partly becasue of his personality but mainly because he has no baggage of a real party machine or boss behind him controlling him
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited November 2020
    I think the counting of votes in the U.K. would be A LOT slower if there was the same level of legal scrutiny as there is in the US. Basically the U.K. proceeds on the basis that everything is above board, and there is no potential partisanship in the electoral process (so that even if errors are made they are “equal opportunity” and could just as easily favour either side).

It would all have to change if one or other party actually started making serious attempts at corrupting the voting process. And I doubt the system could cope that well with it. It seems to me that the US system is far more advanced and transparent in order to combat potential fraud. But that is because it needs to me.
  • Options

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Farage said that Remain had won the Brexit referendum. (Cynics later accused him of deliberately misleading the markets but that seems far-fetched.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5883293/Farage-denies-misleading-UK-conceding-Brexit-defeat-help-hedge-funds-make-money.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

If you add "without anyone finding out", then that would change the terms of reference to include a vast number of politicians.

If you could shag the person of your dreams "without anyone finding out", would you do it?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The. If question for me is if Trump loses will the GOP remain united or will the old GOP reassert itself?

Where's this old GOP ? Politics in the States is shifting and same as here parties are swapping voters . The failure of the DEMs to hammer Trump in to the ground means with a half decent candidate the Reps start with a reasonable platform in 2024. Biden I suspect will be a one term president so the next election could be as close as this one.
  • Options

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Farage said that Remain had won the Brexit referendum. (Cynics later accused him of deliberately misleading the markets but that seems far-fetched.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5883293/Farage-denies-misleading-UK-conceding-Brexit-defeat-help-hedge-funds-make-money.html
    Now that was a great night’s betting, both sides 10/1 within a couple of hours. Big thanks to @AndyJS and his famous spreadsheet!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The run off elections are bound to be easy for GOP aren’t they? With the anti-Trump factor out of the way?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Where's this old GOP ? Politics in the States is shifting and same as here parties are swapping voters . The failure of the DEMs to hammer Trump in to the ground means with a half decent candidate the Reps start with a reasonable platform in 2024. Biden I suspect will be a one term president so the next election could be as close as this one.
    We can’t call this election, let alone the next one. Incumbency counts for a lot let see how it goes. In terms of the old GOP, I am sure Donald has many enemies within the GOP who would welcome the opportunity to escape his control.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Have to admit I did not know that nearly a third of the worldwide mink-farming industry - 28% - is in Denmark. EU as a whole - two thirds.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54818615

The meat goes into things like .. er .. Animal Feed.

The top 4 countries are Denmark, China, the Netherlands, and Poland.

So much for "The EU is the only way to be sure we have high farming standards."
  • Options

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

If you add "without anyone finding out", then that would change the terms of reference to include a vast number of politicians.

If you could shag the person of your dreams "without anyone finding out", would you do it?
    I think you’ll find we married them.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010

Jonathan said:

The Republican Party is three different parties, though, held together by a fear of the Democratic agenda. There are religious Conservatives whose biggest concern is abortion. There's the protectionist / isolationists, and there are the people who want a low regulation, low tax economy.

If Tom Cotton takes the lead in 2024 (and he may well do), then it's the protectionist / isolationist wing that take the Presidency (I'm pencilling 2024 as a Republican gain). If it's Marco Rubio, Ducey or Walker, then it's the low regulation guys (who are pretty free trade led). And if it's a Ted Cruz or Mike Huckabee figure (although probably not one of those guys), then it's the Religious Conservatives.

I don't think it's clear which faction has the lead yet.

And if the Supreme Court defangs Roe vs Wade, then can the Religious Conservatives hold together? If abortion were to become a state issue, it might fundamentally change American politics.

Then there's Obamacare. The low regulation / low tax guys hate it. But most of the protectionist / isolationists like it, if not the name.

In other words, we don't know what the Republican Party will choose to be. Because those three factions are only really united by a common enemy. (Not that the Dems are any better.)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    I thought this was an interesting take:

https://twitter.com/SacnessEverdeen/status/1318759058862735361

AOC got 400,000 people on her Among US stream for 3 hours. I wonder who will be the first UK politician to work out how important streaming on twitch is going to be in the next election. I can't think of any who could do it authentically except perhaps Steve "Brexit Hardman" Baker playing something like Snowrunners.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I think the counting of votes in the U.K. would be A LOT slower if there was the same level of legal scrutiny as there is in the US. Basically the U.K. proceeds on the basis that everything is above board, and there is no potential partisanship in the electoral process (so that even if errors are made they are “equal opportunity” and could just as easily favour either side).

It would all have to change if one or other party actually started making serious attempts at corrupting the voting process. And I doubt the system could cope that well with it. It seems to me that the US system is far more advanced and transparent in order to combat potential fraud. But that is because it needs to me.

The U.K. system is designed to be above board, that’s the difference. There’s national regulations and a national oversight body, the mechanics of the election are run by career civil servants rather than elected officials, and results are delivered swiftly with parties observing.

In the USA, you have every state governor and city mayor micromanaging the actual election process, arguing about opening hours and placement of polling stations, rules on absentee and postal ballots, and voter identification - often on a nakedly partisan basis to reduce the turnout of their opponents’ voters.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

https://twitter.com/SacnessEverdeen/status/1318759058862735361

AOC got 400,000 people on her Among US stream for 3 hours. I wonder who will be the first UK politician to work out how important streaming on twitch is going to be in the next election. I can't think of any who could do it authentically except perhaps Steve "Brexit Hardman" Baker playing something like Snowrunners.

Farage is good at innovative media despite (His recent Dover patrols etc) being seen as a fuddy duddy in other ways
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

We can’t call this election, let alone the next one. Incumbency counts for a lot let see how it goes. In terms of the old GOP, I am sure Donald has many enemies within the GOP who would welcome the opportunity to escape his control.
    Im sure they would, but likewise if they could maintain his platform they dont have that many people to convert to win a majority. Returning Rep female voters alone could tip them over in to the White House There's all to play for and frankly none of the US pundits appears to understand whats happening as they let their partisan views get in the way of analysis,
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    edited November 2020
    alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

The run off elections are bound to be easy for GOP aren’t they? With the anti-Trump factor out of the way?
    I think they will be easier if Biden wins the Presidency. The Americans do love having split tickets. The voters of Georgia are not exactly radicals, and they won’t want Biden to have untrammelled power in case he does something weird with it. A Rep Senate to balance a Dem House and Presidency would probably appeal to a large chunk of voters.

But Perdue still seems to me to be exactly the sort of scumbag who shouldn’t be in politics. So I hope whatever happens, he loses.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    MattW said:

Have to admit I did not know that nearly a third of the worldwide mink-farming industry - 28% - is in Denmark. EU as a whole - two thirds.

Hey, the EU produces the finest Mink meat in the world. You should try it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

The Republican Party is three different parties, though, held together by a fear of the Democratic agenda. There are religious Conservatives whose biggest concern is abortion. There's the protectionist / isolationists, and there are the people who want a low regulation, low tax economy.

If Tom Cotton takes the lead in 2024 (and he may well do), then it's the protectionist / isolationist wing that take the Presidency (I'm pencilling 2024 as a Republican gain). If it's Marco Rubio, Ducey or Walker, then it's the low regulation guys (who are pretty free trade led). And if it's a Ted Cruz or Mike Huckabee figure (although probably not one of those guys), then it's the Religious Conservatives.

And if the Supreme Court defangs Roe vs Wade, then can the Religious Conservatives hold together? If abortion were to become a state issue, it might fundamentally change American politics.

Then there's Obamacare. The low regulation / low tax guys hate it. But most of the protectionist / isolationists like it, if not the name.

In other words, we don't know what the Republican Party will choose to be. Because those three factions are only really united by a common enemy. (Not that the Dems are any better.)
    Fortuitously or not, I think the US got the best possible result on Tuesday. Trump is gone, but the Republicans held the Senate and made gains in the House, so the left wing of the Democratic Party will be kept in check.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,308
    Jonathan said:

The GOP of McConnell will be ascendant. That's not a particularly bipartisan GOP to put it mildly.

Then, when the Primaries happen for the midterms we see how much further QAnon, or the next evolution of extremism, has spread.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

ttps://twitter.com/SacnessEverdeen/status/1318759058862735361

For context, Joe Rogan got 6.7m live views for his four-hour “End of the World Pt.2” programme on Youtube.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=KkjxSKrcbOg
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Im sure they would, but likewise if they could maintain his platform they dont have that many people to convert to win a majority. Returning Rep female voters alone could tip them over in to the White House There's all to play for and frankly none of the US pundits appears to understand whats happening as they let their partisan views get in the way of analysis,
    I am sure there were those in the UK that saw the 2010 coalition as a weak, temporary anomaly and that Labour stood a strong chance of coming back. No one predicted what unfolded next. Let’s see how it goes.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

The U.K. system is designed to be above board, that’s the difference. There’s national regulations and a national oversight body, the mechanics of the election are run by career civil servants rather than elected officials, and results are delivered swiftly with parties observing.

In the USA, you have every state governor and city mayor micromanaging the actual election process, arguing about opening hours and placement of polling stations, rules on absentee and postal ballots, and voter identification - often on a nakedly partisan basis to reduce the turnout of their opponents’ voters.
    Yes I know. But that’s my point. We trade off on the risk of “errors” in the counting process by satisfying ourselves that any errors are “honest mistakes” by neutral/impartial administrators trying their best and which could benefit either side.

Now if there started being suspicions that the “career civil servants” started being replaced by people with questionable claims to neutrality... Seen much evidence of that in the U.K. recently?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,014

Jonathan said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Get over yourself man.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

And is it any different with the Dems ? They are just as factional and united only by hating the Reps.

Biden is about to become president and frankly his only platform was he isnt Trump. I havent the faintest idea what policies he has ( probably none ) except he's not Donald.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MattW said:

Meat's a by product, they are farmed for fur.

What about this story implies a lack of high farming standards?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    It is really incredible how little movement there was on the decision desk results page yesterday. Over about 24 hours the US have managed to count 3 or 4m votes. Absolutely pathetic. 2 states were called, not because the counting was completely over of course, but because the result was pretty certain. It's really pathetic.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Get over yourself man.
    LOL

this time yesterday you were shitting yourself at the result, unable to comprehend why the Dems massively underdelivered.

Against Trump.

Yes that one.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

There seem to me to be equal problems in the USA Electoral Area process.

And it seems to be everywhere, especially the Senate. Here there are various legal duties, and a practise of reflecting other political boundaries - eg my MP's Constituency is close to being the same as the local Council District.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is really incredible how little movement there was on the decision desk results page yesterday. Over about 24 hours the US have managed to count 3 or 4m votes. Absolutely pathetic. 2 states were called, not because the counting was completely over of course, but because the result was pretty certain. It's really pathetic.

Yes, I agree. And I wasted an entire day on it. The last day before lockdown too.
  • Options
    The GOP primaries in 2024 could be a circus that could easily see an extreme, unelectable candidate emerge. The trick for the GOP is that Trump had something special that will be hard to reproduce.
This discussion has been closed.