Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WH2020: The spreads latest and tonight’s PB election zoom gathering – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,132

Just realised Freeview doesn't have any US channels on it. Please tell me BBC coverage won't be complete shite?

'Sake.

CNN and Fox are free to air online if you don't have cable.
  • Options
    Any seen any analysis of these “soccer mums live spaghetti hoops” exit polls vs polling on likely voters from before the election?
  • Options
    Kenton County Kentucky
    29% est reporting, CNN say it's all early voting

Currently Biden almost 16k, Trump 8k

2016 final tally was Clinton 24k, Trump 42k

Now OK, it's all early voting, so a pretty distorted sample which is going to overstate things for the Democrats. Nonetheless, the fact that Biden has already got 2/3rds of Clinton's total 2016 vote when Trump has got under 20% of his own in 2016 seems to me to be much more than a shift than could be explained away JUST by early voting distorting things.

I think that's some extremely encouraging early tea leaves for the Biden camp.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I think people will overly interpret the result tonight if it is a landslide for Biden.

People were fed up with Trump's divisive rhetoric and bullshit, and coronavirus has totally killed him, but Biden is a moderate candidate and many will have lent him their vote.

He and Kamala need to tread lightly. If they use it as a mandate for very radical Leftward change the Republicans will be back, possibly as early as 2024.

Possibly.
    Depends if the Reps tack back to the centre or go fuĺl on QAnon crazy.
    So too early to tell.
    Biden seems like an old school American to me.

I think that really helps him.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Exit poll, only 5% of Trump voters consider Covid their main concern. 23% Dems. Doesn't suggest many R to D switchers due to the virus I guess
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,313

Just realised Freeview doesn't have any US channels on it. Please tell me BBC coverage won't be complete shite?

'Sake.

It will be utter rubbish, it has been all evening. Sky on 233 is better, but not by much.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,004
    There's a lot of things we shouldn't do which we ignore at such times, agreeing to not know certain things to generate excitement. Good times.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anything happening?

I AM DRUNK
    Amateur lightweight. I will have a beer. When my pizza arrives in a bit...
    Pineapple?
    Lol I did consider it, but fear the ban hammer
  • Options
    You can live stream CNN and CBS on YouTube
  • Options
    Like this for me to chug another bottle
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

Does anyone have any recommendations in the current Laithwaite's sale?

No idea what your budget is but Waitrose has a decent quaffing Saumur down from £9-odd to £7.50.

Might be finishing today that said!
    A rather nice Cote Du Rhone Villages for me tonight from Majestic, but only a half bottle, and some cheese to mop it up. I have the morning off, but busy afternoon
    I'm actually not a midweek drinker so totally sober for me right now but I had a bottle at the weekend and it was very easy to drink!
    I had to finish off the last glass of a slightly disappointing Aussie char earlier before it turned to vinegar, otherwise rooibos tea throughout.
  • Options
    Was the chap with his pants down in the polling booth asking for a P?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,992
    Kentucky was called just after an hour in in 2016 for Trump.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Officially the most annoying US TV announcement is 'too close to call' brought in with a whooshing sound on screen.. Then its repeated every 2 mins, we are calling Nevada ' TOO CLOSE TO CALL'.

About as much use as a chocolate teapot.

You can actually EAT a chocolate teapot, so it does have some use.

Wooosh!!! (The sound of me getting my coat)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

RobD said:

Anything happening?

I AM DRUNK
    Amateur lightweight. I will have a beer. When my pizza arrives in a bit...
    Pineapple?
    Lol I did consider it, but fear the ban hammer
    It would have to be sent back to Hawaii in any case.
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 237
    Heineken 0.0% here. No pizza, regrettably.

BBC currently doing the US electoral system for dummies thing. They managed to drag Brillo back in though.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,895

'Sake.

339 CNN
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,576
    I have decided to release my new prediction for the American Election, using AI modelling, as to what sensible people should do.....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,941
    edited November 2020
    This is the stage in the night in 2016 when everyone was convinced Hillary was going to win.

Especially when the exit poll came out showing that 54% of voters had a negative view of Trump.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,061
    Andy_JS said:
    I don't.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    CNN say they are about to make a projection. Which seems remarkably premature to me. Did they really just say that?
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

Exit poll, only 5% of Trump voters consider Covid their main concern. 23% Dems. Doesn't suggest many R to D switchers due to the virus I guess

It’s a classic polling question problem though isn’t it? If our election was today I don’t know if I’d say Covid was the number one issue for the election, given that we’re talking four years hence. Can mean something and nothing.
  • Options
    This is my first US election since I became a teetotaller
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,996

Would like it twice if I could!
  • Options

'Sake.

339 CNN
    Is that an Electoral College projection? 😜
  • Options

You got money on this?
  • Options
    guybrush said:

Heineken 0.0% here. No pizza, regrettably.

BBC currently doing the US electoral system for dummies thing. They managed to drag Brillo back in though.

Peroni Libera 1,000x better imo.

Than both Heineken and Andrew Neil.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131
    Trump outpolling Mitch McConnell so far.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

This is the stage in the night in 2016 when everyone was convinced Hillary was going to win.

True.

My takeaways from the very limited amount of data we have are:

(1) rural turnout is only up 9-12%
    (2) Biden is outperforming in the suburbs
    (3) Trump is probably holding his vote share in rural areas
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    How do I unmute zoom?
  • Options
    Like Marty McFly in BTTF Part II I'm trying to work out how to watch four simultaneous channels at once..
  • Options

This is my first US election since I became a teetotaller

Is it better? Or simply likely to be more memorable in the morning? :)
  • Options
    MattW said:

If you like Malbec, try the Luigi Bosca La Linda.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Like Marty McFly in BTTF Part II I'm trying to work out how to watch four simultaneous channels at once..

With two ears? Good luck.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Especially when the exit poll came out showing that 54% of voters had a negative view of Trump.

It looked so predictable and boring I fell asleep on the couch watching it. Woke up just in time to see it getting called for Trump which took me a moment to be convinced it wasn't some weird dream.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Keep an eye on Kenton county in KY on that CNN map. Biden doing well with about 30% in in a state Trump won 2-1 in 2016. As its a suburbs county, might give an idea of those in more important states, like OH,NC , so if Biden is doing really well in Kenton (he wont win there though) might suggest good news in more important states
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131

Perhaps you'll be able to go back to the time when America was the future.
  • Options
    It's also weighted towards early voting, so not representative.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    kle4 said:

I think people will overly interpret the result tonight if it is a landslide for Biden.

People were fed up with Trump's divisive rhetoric and bullshit, and coronavirus has totally killed him, but Biden is a moderate candidate and many will have lent him their vote.

He and Kamala need to tread lightly. If they use it as a mandate for very radical Leftward change the Republicans will be back, possibly as early as 2024.

It would be very easy for the more radical types to give in to the temptation to go too far, particularly in acting punitively or on extreme matters. That Biden probably is not that way inclined is presumably why the more excitable ones are not huge fans of his, and it will be interesting to see how much he can set the agenda vs being pressured by others, in the event of a landslide.
    It depends what you call radical. I just heard a female republican on radio saying a Biden win would be a disaster because we would end up with Kamala and she'd take our guns off us!
  • Options

CNN say they are about to make a projection. Which seems remarkably premature to me. Did they really just say that?

Vermont closes in 5 minutes - maybe they could call that straight away
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

How do I unmute zoom?

I can't handle Zoom on top of all the other shizzle I have to follow tonight.

Plus I'd get too distracted/shocked by how people look/sound in reality.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,992

Vermont closes in 5 minutes - maybe they could call that straight away
    Yep. Straight in.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Considering he got 46% that was pretty accurate!
  • Options

Perhaps you'll be able to go back to the time when America was the future.
    1775?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

No-one hates Biden, they just think he's a harmless old duffer.

If the Dems had selected Warren this would be a real fight.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

True.

My takeaways from the very limited amount of data we have are:

(1) rural turnout is only up 9-12%
    (2) Biden is outperforming in the suburbs
    (3) Trump is probably holding his vote share in rural areas
    Fair enough. Will be interesting to see when more of the vote comes in from places like Covington.
  • Options

Very depressing to realise that that film was set over 5 years ago in 2015...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,576

MattW said:

If you like Malbec, try the Luigi Bosca La Linda.
    If you like white, Leflaive, Chablis, 1er cru "Montée de Tonnerre"
  • Options
    OK team enjoy the night.

I'm off to bed and as you will have seen from my posts I am not super engaged with the process so will wake up to it all tomorrow.

I maintain my position that Trump could win (have backed accordingly) for reasons previously stated but then what with my Chisora tip the other day I'd ignore everything I say on the betting front, frankly.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

OK team enjoy the night.

I'm off to bed and as you will have seen from my posts I am not super engaged with the process so will wake up to it all tomorrow.

I maintain my position that Trump could win (have backed accordingly) for reasons previously stated but then what with my Chisora tip the other day I'd ignore everything I say on the betting front, frankly.

Gnight, @TOPPING
  • Options
    OKAY THE CHUGGING BEGINS !!!!!!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Very true, and I'm very conscious of that.
  • Options

5 likes and I chug this bottle!

Bottoms up🍻
  • Options
    lockhimup said:

Andy_JS said:

Considering he got 46% that was pretty accurate!
    Exactly.
  • Options
    WHOEVER MARKED MY POST OFF TOPIC
  • Options

I would 'like' you but I believe in enjoying alcohol responsibly!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    You silly sausage
  • Options

You can live stream CNN and CBS on YouTube

I have to say that CNN's coverage is really excellent, in terms of drilling deep to try and find out what the early numbers might portend, in appropriate context.

In the UK I find following general elections on the internet much more informative than the TV channels. CNN are in a different league.

A bit like watching golf on Sky compared to the BBC (on the rare occasions it's on the latter).
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    If Florida results look good for Biden, I have a Woodford to open and sip before retiring. If not, well, it could be a long one....
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The page we've all been waiting for, the NYT needle indicators. (No national needle though).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/forecast-president.html
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805

Sounds like you may be making a projection later, down the great white telephone...
  • Options
    Only got one stick left to play with (drained my current, and now credits banned) so up for state tips to dribble in some table stakes in the next few hours..
  • Options
    ITV have switched to CNN for the calls on the hour.
  • Options
    Indiana called
  • Options
    Trump wins Indiana!!! (CNN)

• Options
    Mortimer said:

If Florida results look good for Biden, I have a Woodford to open and sip before retiring. If not, well, it could be a long one....

Good choice.

• Options
    Too early to call is good news for Mr Biden!!!
  • Options
    I think CNN just projected Indiana for Trump. No surprise.
  • Options
    This shit is better than sex.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    MrEd said:

Judging from both camps, it doesn't seem both camps are particularly bullish.

Dem bullishness tempered by memories of 2016.

Republican bullishness tempered by actuality of 2020. They have nothing to be bullish about.

MARQUEEMARK calls the election for BIDEN
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,146
    edited November 2020
    Trump projected to have won Indiana with 64% of the vote currently
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Only got one stick left to play with (drained my current, and now credits banned) so up for state tips to dribble in some table stakes in the next few hours..

A mil?!
  • Options
    Too early in Vermont? I guess the exit polls aren't regarded as reliable at all this year.
  • Options
    Am I first?
  • Options
    Who needs friends when you have likes
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Indiana called

but you can't go back there?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,146
    Georgia too early to project, Trump ahead in Kentucky but that also too early to call
  • Options
    Too early to call in vermont? Lol
  • Options
    Briefly went into Zoom meeting. Will be too distracting so dived back out
  • Options

Then you aren't doing this shit right.....
  • Options

Longer too
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,088
    Fox News calls Virginia for Biden. @MrEd must be disappointed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Trump projected to have won Indiana with 64% of the vote

That's his current vote share. You haven't seen the Cities come in yet, so it'll be that big
  • Options
    Looks to me like +3 Biden, -2 Trump in Indiana
  • Options
    Pasco County worth a look.
  • Options
    Fox hasnt projected any states for Trump, Virginia already called for Biden
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Trump looks down across the board
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151