Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Wear and tear. The fate of Dominic Cummings

Comments

• Options
    I got the distinct feeling from that opening statement of, "People have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook."

The bald assertion that there isn't one rule for Cummings and another for the rest of us, when the obvious truth is that there is.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Hospitalized down from 10,000 to 9,000 in a week is substantial (noting of course that there are two radically different ways of leaving hospital).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Scott_xP said:

Has BoZo written two speeches?

Maybe he'll just hold up dozens of screenshots of other people's tweets!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Durham at least safer than the Duchy of Lancaster, which is chancelled by a cokehead. But that reminds me, of course there's not one rule for us and one for them.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    edited May 2020
    isam said:

That would have been a better plan...

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1264591415067189249
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Scott_xP said:

You don't say.

It is an absolute disaster for this government. Those MP inboxes are going to implode on the bucket of anger that is coming.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Well done, Boris! Bloody well done! :smile:

Still defending the indefensible, I see :lol:
    Turns out it was 100% defensible actually! :lol:

Looks like I was right, and an awful lot of the overly excitable short-termists were wrong. Not for the first time.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    eek said:

DougSeal said:

Agreed. He has just handed the Opposition four years worth of attack lines. I am delighted,
    This will not be an issue in four years, but many more will be

Oh it will be come the next election, remember the family funeral you couldn't attend because of the virus that their incompetency brought into the nursing home which killed Nanny. 60,000 excess deaths is 600,000 people with reasons not to vote for Boris when the truth comes out.

And I suspect there will be a lot more, as the economy is going to collapse on it's arse.

But manufacturing and co will have no reason to try to fix things as the uncertainty of next January is going to make investment impossible,
    There will be people with justifiable anger but I think your numbers are well out.

The ratio of people who visit Nanny in her nursing home on anything more than a occasional, perfunctory basis is not 10:1.
  • Options
    I wonder if that poll tightening now might come faster than I thought
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

tyson said:

Boris's ERM moment....the press have got huge buckets of shit that are going to be liberally thrown over him.....
    Quite possible that this weekend will be seen by historians as the moment they lost the 2024 GE.
    I think that will come in the autumn when things go economically very, very wrong.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

isam said:

"I think this is a mistake."

Vicious
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251

Johnson backs Cummings. He did what any father would do.

Dom is yet another spawn of his loins?

So that explains it!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,329
    eek said:

DougSeal said:

Agreed. He has just handed the Opposition four years worth of attack lines. I am delighted,
    And after 4 years of frothing, hyperbolic onanism, that Opposition will still lose.
    That is not at all certain, but this will not be relevant, the way we come out of lockdown and the economic consequences will decide 2024 GE
    He's screwed then
    It is possible but it is impossible to know how this pans out over the next few years

• Options
    Those frothing hard letters...I mean lefters...leftists? Either way, this woman...

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1264506993638694912
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    edited May 2020

Twats.

Is it clear yet whether he did what any father would do twice or three times (with concomitant return journeys of course)?
    Would any father have done this?

Not sure I would have put my four year old in a car with a sick wife and driven them 250 miles to lodge with my elderly parents. Even a man of modest means, few relatives or friends, would be unlikely to do that.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The dead cat heads for the table folks.

Kids and schools.

I think kids and schools reopening is more important for most people.
  • Options

Looks like I was right, and an awful lot of the overly excitable short-termists were wrong. Not for the first time.
    You weren't right, I was.

He should go. He won't go. No inquiry.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

tyson said:

Boris's ERM moment....the press have got huge buckets of shit that are going to be liberally thrown over him.....
    Quite possible that this weekend will be seen by historians as the moment they lost the 2024 GE.
    I think the election of Keir was the game changer,,,

But...I have been surprised just how quickly the Tories have trashed their best position in memory (even better than the Falklands)...it takes a special amount of incompetence and a Pandemic combined.....
  • Options
    Nobody is going to listen to a bloody word these people say ever again on the virus.

• Options
    Amateur hour.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Except maybe a police enquiry
  • Options

Kids and schools.

A private school in Brentwood, Essex has closed for good because of the lockdown.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    This press conference is going well.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Kids and schools.

And hopefully clarification next week on non essential business. People need to get back to work!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

tyson said:

I think that will come in the autumn when things go economically very, very wrong.
    And then in January when the reality of no frictionless exports to the EU hits home.
  • Options
    Oh that's mighty convenient. The audio fails on first journalist question
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    kinabalu said:

And that outcome differs from what I've been saying for the last two days how, exactly?
  • Options

I got the distinct feeling from that opening statement of, "People have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook."

The bald assertion that there isn't one rule for Cummings and another for the rest of us, when the obvious truth is that there is.

Has it ever been otherwise ?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Those frothing hard letters...I mean lefters...leftists? Either way, this woman...

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1264506993638694912

Even Allison Pearson is slagging him off, she's normally the one to try and defend the indefensible.
  • Options
    Oh get on with it Peston. The government are lying to us.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Very severe child care difficulties...
  • Options
    Peston totally fluffs that. Don't ask a 2nd question about the bloody shops. Keep on the question that matters today.
  • Options
    Good on you Boris. Don't give in to angry mobs
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Boris shouldn't last the week. Shambles.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Very severe child care difficulties...

Utter bollocks.

But anyway it does not explain the walks in the woods with blue bells.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Well, this is Boris’s Black Monday. It’s not quite over yet: Starmer will take Boris’s stance apart at the next PMQs. Tory MPs will begin to make noises about grey suits and letter and Cummings will be gone in a week or two.

But it won’t be enough. The only difference between John Major’s post-Black Monday lame duck administration and Boris Johnson’s post-Coronavirus will be a quarter of a century.

Enjoy the next four years PB Tories. Another decade or two of Labour government begins in May 2024.
  • Options
    Looks like the scalp-hunters will have to take up a new hobby more their speed.

Snail-racing, perhaps? :wink:
  • Options

Nobody is going to listen to a bloody word these people say ever again on the virus.

Listening is still useful.

But with the proviso that you remember they will break the rules if it suits them.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The audio and the journalists seem to be letting Boris away with this

And now a technician is right beside Watson - no social distancing
  • Options
    Go Gary!!

The rest of the country was following rules not instincts.
  • Options
    The guidance was rewritten on the day that Guardian started asking questions.
  • Options
    His objective in leaving his home and getting in a car with a person with corona symptoms was to stop the spread of the virus. We had to destroy the village in order to save it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Starsports have cut Boris further to 4/1 to front this afternoon's briefing.

Dominic Raab 7/2
    Grant Shapps 7/2
    Boris Johnson 4/1
    Robert Jenrick 5/1
    Alok Sharma 11/2
    George Eustice 8/1
    Michael Gove 8/1
    Gavin Williamson 12/1
    Oliver Dowden 12/1
    Amanda Milling 14/1
    Matthew Hancock 16/1
    Priti Patel 16/1
    Rishi Sunak 40/1

I can't see it being Jenrick who also faced questions about driving round Britain in search of a bed for the night. Gove might be seen as too close to Cummings. Sunak would be a good choice but his enormous price suggests the odds compilers know him not to be in London.
    How wise of him!

Sunak also potentially has enough political capital in the bank to tell Johnson to *** off if he thinks he's accepting that commission.
    Sunak made a mistake in tweeting in support of Cummings as he did yesterday. He did not need to and he will need all his political capital in the weeks ahead.
    Sunak will survive that - he tweeted what everyone was asked to tweet. If Cummings is forced out, he can always say "new information came to light... Dominic hadn't been straight with us and I feel terribly let down, as do we all".

Johnson's position is more difficult in that there is certainly a risk that Cummings HAS told him the full story. That's the impression the defence is giving (i.e. if Johnson didn;t know, they just should've said "Dominic made a dreadful mistake but the PM has given him a dressing down and forgiven him". It's incredibly dangerous if Johnson knew.
    Not all Cabinet Ministers tweeted their support. Notably Priti Patel stayed quiet. She has a certain low cunning I suspect. Or maybe less of a tin ear for the public mood.
    Priti is an ally of IDS and Cummings and IDS hate each other, see also IDS ally Tim Montgomerie calling for Cummings to go.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,233
    I think I have accidentally turned on the channel showing 'Car Crash TV'.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson, the worst PM in British history.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Boris has played right into the opposition's hands regardless of what the few remaining Cummings apologists are claiming. I doubt there is a single person who believes that Cummings had to drive to Durham in order to get adequate child care.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Lockdown is already under strain. We went out with the little guy this afternoon to run around the grounds of a local ruin, as seemingly did a big chunk of the rest of West Oxfordshire.

No-one is really bothered about the 2m thing any more. There was a bit of half-hearted standing aside, I guess.

Cummings breaking the rules, and Johnson supporting him doing so, is going to turbo-charge this.

If that means a second spike in cases, it will be terrible news for the country. It will also be the death of this government.
  • Options
    Boris doesn't say anything about Barnard Castle.
  • Options

Sounds like you haven't read much history.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Love the emojis in your posts BTW. They add gravitas
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Prize for first lobby journalists to admit that they broke lockdown rules.
  • Options
    Boris has made a big mistake here

If he had sacked him he could have moved on

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

But with the proviso that you remember they will break the rules if it suits them.
    Listening is useful, as they will be the opposite of what they are saying.
  • Options

He's only just started. Be careful for what you wish.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    edited May 2020

Twats.

Is it clear yet whether he did what any father would do twice or three times (with concomitant return journeys of course)?

Not sure I would have put my four year old in a car with a sick wife and driven them 250 miles to lodge with my elderly parents. Even a man of modest means, few relatives or friends, would be unlikely to do that.
    Oh, I agree. I'm just quoting from the soon-to-be-released Take Back Control: 100 Rules of Tory Parenting.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957

tyson said:

It will be unemployment running at around 20% and the government totally out of ideas to restart the economy that will do for Boris.

The whole Cummings thing is a sideshow.
  • Options

Twats.

Incidentally how big was the car ?

A four hour journey would possibly have led to cross-infection in an ordinary car.

Were face masks worn ?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    Telling the public they are confused will not go down well! They are angry not confused.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    So Bozo won't say Cumstain didn't go to Barnard Castle
  • Options
    Did he go to Barnard Castle? Answer the bloody question.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    "any father would have done the same" says man who literally can't say how many kids he has. They're just laughing at the public now.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    EPG said:

Yes - he is avoiding any specifics and just talking in very broadbrush terms.
  • Options
    Sir Keir will utterly destroy Johnson at the next PMQs.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    EPG said:

Nor the question on when he himself knew and whether he approved.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    malcolmg said:

OllyT said:

TGOHF666 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

PB Tories calling out the hounding of Cummings is a noble thing to do, except they've never called out hounding of MPs on the other side.

Yes we have.

Also, Cummings is a civil servant, a member of staff not an elected politician.
    When?
    Personally, right back to Gordon Brown when he was PM, and Damien McBride was his media henchman who became the story.

I don't ever recall such harassment of a civil servant as we've seen in the last couple of days though.
    Cummings is in reality much more political than civil. I don't think he'd wish to be thought anything else. But of course he shouldn't be harassed personally and picketing someone's home is always repulsive.
    Repulsive is very very generous- this is a culture war with the Puritains trying to burn their self anointed witch.

Horrible narrow minded people.

Scum actually.
    Up pops Harry now he's got something to use to try to deflect from Cumming's misdeeds. All fake outrage because a van parks outside the Cummings household, straw clutching at its finest
    That van was silly and childish and I cannot believe Starmer approved
    If you had read the many posts on it , it was right wing Tories, Starmer had nothing to do with it. You should not believe everyone would stoop as low as Boris and his thugs.
    I thought it was Led by Donkeys (ex Greenpeace activists IIRC)
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2020
    Jesus, turn back on news a day later, and the most boring story in the history of boring stories is still going.

Sack him or don't sack him, who cares?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Waffle and bluster.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Love the emojis in your posts BTW. They add gravitas
    They do add a lot more than your actual words, for certain :smile:
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Indeed. The lying disingenuous fat fornicator is now a figure of ridicule in the eyes of the British public. He has total contempt for us.

I'm sure the Praetorian guard of the PB Tories will come and defend him. Popcorn time!!
  • Options
    Keir can't believe he's come up against a PM so useless.
  • Options
    I disagree.

I would say that travelling while infected was more important than travelling when no longer infected.
  • Options
    This presser is like a Brian Rix farce. Boris might well lose his trousers in a moment.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    saw someone who looked like Gene Pitney, 24 hours from Tulsa.

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE
  • Options
    Politico getting him on the ropes.

Johnson tries to cut him out.
  • Options
    Boris saved by the two question rule here. If any one journalist got 6 he would be crucified.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    rpjs said:

Well, this is Boris’s Black Monday. It’s not quite over yet: Starmer will take Boris’s stance apart at the next PMQs. Tory MPs will begin to make noises about grey suits and letter and Cummings will be gone in a week or two.

But it won’t be enough. The only difference between John Major’s post-Black Monday lame duck administration and Boris Johnson’s post-Coronavirus will be a quarter of a century.

Enjoy the next four years PB Tories. Another decade or two of Labour government begins in May 2024.

I doubt it, Starmer might be better than Ed Miliband and Corbyn but he is still polling far lower than Blair was pre 1997 and even John Smith was pre Black Wednesday.

If he gets in it will likely be with the LDs and SNP, not a 1997 style Labour landslide
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2020
    Been busy last few days, have I missed much?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Boris has played right into the opposition's hands regardless of what the few remaining Cummings apologists are claiming. I doubt there is a single person who believes that Cummings had to drive to Durham in order to get adequate child care.

It's unbelievably crass.

"He made a mistake. He has apologized. We need him to keep doing his very important job."

That would have been so much better.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Been busy last few years, have I missed much?

Run, Francis, just run! :lol:
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Media questions not specific and tight enough.

Boris getting away with repeating the same brush off broadbrush answer.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,262
    Boris live on TV with his pants round his ankles taking a big shit onto his own head
  • Options
    eek said:

Listening is useful, as they will be the opposite of what they are saying.
    No listening is useful because it can provide good advice - 2m, don't touch things, wash your hands - but you have to make your own judgement about what is good and with the proviso that the people doing the talking are different to you and with their own values and aims.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Boris needs to visit Trump that week.
  • Options
    Keir is opening a bottle of bubbly and wondering how he has ended up in this reality
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    There's a danger for Labour that this is going so badly that Boris does get the sack over this. If I were Starmer I'd want to face him at the next election.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2020
    Boris approach to this Cummings scandal is bonkers. Surely the easy solution would be to do what Blair did with Mandy, get him to stand down, and bring him back in a bit when things have died down. They could easily put out a statement saying, he thought he was doing the right thing, but now acknowledges he made a mistake.

Prof Pantsdown is still working for the government, despite his scandal. They just send an understudy to the meetings. I bet he will be back if / when a second wave comes.

I think it has to be certain Boris steps down early next year citing ill health.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Media questions not specific and tight enough.

Boris getting away with repeating the same brush off broadbrush answer.

Yep. They are mainly fluffing it.

Johnson is too good for most of them.

We need to know when the child guidance was rewritten to "clarify" it.

We need to know about these other trips.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    IshmaelZ said:

Boris saved by the two question rule here. If any one journalist got 6 he would be crucified.

they could have 100 - they wouldn't ask anything cutting.

you know that
    I know that

• Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    OllyT said:

Given the way the Guardian go for him I'm sure a few of them can have sympathy with the view that he might not have many suitable childcare contacts in the immediate area.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

I doubt it, Starmer might be better than Ed Miliband and Corbyn but he is still polling far lower than Blair was pre 1997 and even John Smith was pre Black Wednesday.

If he gets in it will likely be with the LDs and SNP, not a 1997 style Labour landslide
    It could be LD majority under Super Layla!
  • Options

Lockdown is already under strain. We went out with the little guy this afternoon to run around the grounds of a local ruin, as seemingly did a big chunk of the rest of West Oxfordshire.

No-one is really bothered about the 2m thing any more. There was a bit of half-hearted standing aside, I guess.

Cummings breaking the rules, and Johnson supporting him doing so, is going to turbo-charge this.

If that means a second spike in cases, it will be terrible news for the country. It will also be the death of this government.

Lockdown is over.

What we have is a partial shutdown which itself is slowly ending.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

IshmaelZ said:

I'm currently translating new German legislation (some people have fun Sundays, y'know) which is quite interesting - they are envisaging the possibility of Covid medicines becoming available but difficult to produce in sufficient quantities, so the legislation gives the authorities to exempt both domestic and foreign pharmaceutical compsanies from all the usual requirements for production (GMP, package leaflet, labelling) and to waive their product liability for Covid products.

What does 'waive product liability' mean ?

Does it mean no responsibility for side effects ?
    Presumably, yes

The UK has a scheme for no-faulty compensation paid by the state in vaccine damage cases:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_Damage_Payment

Only applies to a list of named vaccines, not including Covid-19 vaccines. I wonder whether this will be added to the list.
    Yes, as I understand it (and I need to get it right since my translation will be the official English version). it means that if the authorities rush through your drug without all the usual checks, then you are not liable for side-effects unless you have introduced them deliberately or through gross negligence. The authorities will only give you this exemption if they are satisfied that the drug is OK for other reasons than the usual procedure - e.g. because it's been licenced successfully in Japan.
    Rather undermines the Japanese trade barrier of requiring full clinical trials on Western drugs because “Japanese people are different”
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Starmer's only been in for a few weeks.....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

If Starmer isnt PM in 2024 he must be a real duffer
This discussion has been closed.