Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,372
    The Cleveland Clinic has developed a coronavirus test that will be able to deliver results in just eight hours.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8104803/Top-hospital-Cleveland-Clinic-develops-coronavirus-test-deliver-results-EIGHT-HOURS.html

An instant or near instant test is a big way we beat this.
  • Options

Italy asked for help from the EU.

twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1238128960388677641?s=20

I think every country is going to need similar from China.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited March 2020
    Only banning public gatherings of more than 500 is good news for us County Cricket members, as we will remain unaffected.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,820
    edited March 2020
    FTSE getting close to 11% down. Dow 9.5% down.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,966

TOPPING said:

Must be coordinated. Gives Sturgeon some kudos and distances Boris from the nitty gritty. He doesn't need to acquire a perception of gravitas, has not been his style.

My thoughts too - nice example of the United Kingdom working together - Arlene next week? May be a canny move by Number 10.
    Arlene was blabbing on Monday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51796305
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,016
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:
    Trump to leave before end of first term is 1.1 on Betfair i.e. 10% chance.
    Trump definitely didn't look that well giving last night's address so I've laid up 30 odd quid of my green on him for GOP nominee. Probably nothing but you can imagine how that market would flip if he had it.
    I've followed your lead at 1.1. Not matched yet.
  • Options

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Sturgeon stealing Johnson's thunder. :p

She's asking to be excluded from COBR frankly. It's unwise.
    Its absolutely shameful. What does she think she achieves, look at me, I take more decisive action than Boris because I do a presser 90mins before him?
    Didn't Arlene do exactly the same after the previous COBR?
    Sky and BBC both pulled away when questions started

However, she has made herself look untrustworthy
    Aye, a shocking contrast to irreproachable BJ.
    This is a UK wide crisis and she is playing politics with it

I expect she will receive widescale criticsm

She could have coordinated it with Boris. It is not a good look
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    CatMan said:

Apocalyptic stuff, if it closes there for the day.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,573
    Were the ECB not supposed to be acting today? No cut in interest rates. "Stimulus" measures. Not enough.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Pulpstar said:

Thermometers online are selling like crazy. Just found one for under a tenner incl delivery, not easy mind.

I bought mine a while back, when Foxy suggested what we needed for our own home coronavirus-monitoring kit.....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,147
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Must be coordinated. Gives Sturgeon some kudos and distances Boris from the nitty gritty. He doesn't need to acquire a perception of gravitas, has not been his style.

Only (very big) problem is that is the Sturge speaking for the UK or for North Britain? Leaves us punters confused.

Dribbling news out bit by bit makes sense at the moment -
    I think we need one single voice. We need an Ian McDonald.

I think the DCMO was pretty impressive (as indeed I have to say was the Q&A itself) with BoJo.
    For facts yes, for bans on things (such as this ban) it makes sense that the bits get announced over time
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,885
    If the COBR meeting comes to a decision I don't see a problem with the responsible people making the announcement of that decision for their area at an appropriate time for them. Personally I think COBR could do with more openness in the decisions made and the rationale for them and the problem of staggered announcements would go away. But that's not Sturgeon's or Foster's problem.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

FTSE 100 9.7% down.

Which is bad enough.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Why is the FTSE down more than the Dow, do punters have some intangible faith in the USA ?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,604
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Only (very big) problem is that is the Sturge speaking for the UK or for North Britain? Leaves us punters confused.

I think the DCMO was pretty impressive (as indeed I have to say was the Q&A itself) with BoJo.
    For facts yes, for bans on things (such as this ban) it makes sense that the bits get announced over time
    Maybe but people (like me) will hear snippets from Nicola Sturgeon and dismiss it as being for Scotland only. Indeed is it for Scotland only?

Not a huge point, that said.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

If the COBR meeting comes to a decision I don't see a problem with the responsible people making the announcement of that decision for their area at an appropriate time for them. Personally I think COBR could do with more openness in the decisions made and the rationale for them and the problem of staggered announcements would go away. But that's not Sturgeon's or Foster's problem.

Perhaps would could televise it and have a phone in vote on the crucial issues? Or maybe a Twitter poll, that seems to be full of experts.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,280
    isam said:

isam said:

The 2 new deaths, an 89 year old and a lady in 60s, both that had been unwell with significant other health conditions.

How many people have died in the Coronavirus era of regular flu? How many have died of Coronavirus that wouldn't have died of normal flu?
    How many people are now being saved from death by normal flu by additional social distancing and hand washing? Might be more than Covid19 deaths at the moment?
    Death toll now up to 10 vs ~10,000 dying from flu in a normal year (confirmed by CMO in a press conference recently since some people have claimed wildly differing figures for that).
    If those 10 would have died from flu anyway, likely as they were elderly and ill, is that a sign we might all be over worrying, and the media attention on Coronavirus is hiding the possibilty that in terms of deaths, there is no change on a normal year if you combine flu deaths and CV deaths?
    Can you get flu and corona simultaneously or does having one preclude having the other (at any given time)?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Maybe but people (like me) will hear snippets from Nicola Sturgeon and dismiss it as being for Scotland only. Indeed is it for Scotland only?

It's now in your head - when Boris announces it later it won't be a shock. I suspect there will be something else there that is a shock as well but half the news is already out there being circulated.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Its absolutely shameful. What does she think she achieves, look at me, I take more decisive action than Boris because I do a presser 90mins before him?
    Sky and BBC both pulled away when questions started

However, she has made herself look untrustworthy
    Aye, a shocking contrast to irreproachable BJ.
    This is a UK wide crisis and she is playing politics with it

I expect she will receive widescale criticsm

She could have coordinated it with Boris. It is not a good look
    It's virtually lèse-majesté!

The PM and party (& obviously their breathless fangirls) that stages collective walkouts when the SNP ask a HoC question expected better from the ghastly Scottish Nationalist Party.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,280
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

ClippP said:

At least a few things are clearer today than they were yesterday.

There are range of strategies. Different experts have different views. Those citing experts and denigrating individuals on here taking a different view because they don't align with the experts were clearly wrong.

Now the question is who are the best experts? Well our experts are taking quite a different strategy to the East Asians and now to many of our Western neighbours. They might be right, they might be wrong.

But they are definitely, brave Minister.

That's not necessarily accurate.

Our experts have said there will be a time when they need to make decisions that other nations have made, but its not yet.

Given the UK is testing more than other nations are and having thus fewer "wild" cases than nations are it is entirely possible the time has come for other nations but not us yet.
    No I don't think so.

I think what is clear now is there are two fundamentally different approaches. The first approach is to stomp this out at source. The second approach is to accept it is inevitable and manage it. We are going for the latter. Others are going for the former.
    I disagree. With all our testing we're doing more than other countries in Europe to stomp this out at source.
    So why have we allowed flights in from Italy (just a few days ago) and Spain (ongoing).
    We're still allowing flights from China and Korea.....
    And from the USA, where they do not test hardly anybody.....
    And Italy. There's one setting off from Milan to Edinburgh soon.

I think we are under an obligation to repatriate our citizens, like Barnesian, who went out to Italy.

If they follow the advice and self-isolate on return, I think that is OK.
    I think one of the things that we have to think about is whether we trust them to do that or force them to do that. Compulsory quarantine would also bring it home to people how reckless they were going to the likes of Italy in the first place and discourage others from going to similar locations where flights are still available.
    Reckless? Simon Calder was actively encouraging it two weeks ago! To old people! I was literally pulling my hair out listening to it.

No-one was on the phone from PHE ringing up 5Live to tell him stfu.

When all this is analysed in years to come they will think we were *mad*.
    Even worse, innumerate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ47glxcxr0
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Why is the FTSE down more than the Dow, do punters have some intangible faith in the USA ?

Or americans don't fully understand the full scale / size of the issue yet
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Scotland First. She can't have a second referendum right now but she can run Scotland like it has already declared UDI...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,016
    isam said:

I was talked out of selling EasyJet shares at £11 and now they're 806p

I bought Go Ahead (GOG) a bus company, for £21.32 on 21 Jan in anticipation of a big boost from infrastructure spending up North. We all know how Boris loves buses. They went up a couple of quid then corona came along and I baled out at £19.69 on 2 March - ten days ago for a loss of £2K. They are now trading at £10.85.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Were the ECB not supposed to be acting today? No cut in interest rates. "Stimulus" measures. Not enough.
    Markets unhappy with ECB response.

Not a surprise with Christine Lagarde in charge
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,948
    Pulpstar said:

Americans mentally about a week behind Europe in terms of understanding the impacts? And some incorrectly thinking the US is better protected than Europe?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

isam said:

The 2 new deaths, an 89 year old and a lady in 60s, both that had been unwell with significant other health conditions.

How many people have died in the Coronavirus era of regular flu? How many have died of Coronavirus that wouldn't have died of normal flu?
    How many people are now being saved from death by normal flu by additional social distancing and hand washing? Might be more than Covid19 deaths at the moment?
    Death toll now up to 10 vs ~10,000 dying from flu in a normal year (confirmed by CMO in a press conference recently since some people have claimed wildly differing figures for that).
    If those 10 would have died from flu anyway, likely as they were elderly and ill, is that a sign we might all be over worrying, and the media attention on Coronavirus is hiding the possibilty that in terms of deaths, there is no change on a normal year if you combine flu deaths and CV deaths?
    Can you get flu and corona simultaneously or does having one preclude having the other (at any given time)?
    I really wouldn't know. It's probably too difficult to find out, but I'd like to know if the death/infection rate of flu was up or down this winter
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Testing, testing:

For what it's worth:
    USA Tests: 8,554 Positive cases: 1,374 Ratio: 16.1%
    UK Tests: 29,764 Positive cases: 491 Ratio: 1.6%

Where do you get the USA Tests number from?
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

It's now in your head - when Boris announces it later it won't be a shock. I suspect there will be something else there that is a shock as well but half the news is already out there being circulated.
    I've no idea what she has been saying - I've been too busy occupied with discussing why and on whose behalf she is saying it!

Something about free owls?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think they are hoping it’ll all be over before the peak of the cricket season. Oh sorry, you meant the second most important ECB.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,610
    Pulpstar said:

I think its simply that, from America, it all feels further away, and there is still faith in their government's dubious assurances.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2020
    Self isolating as a black man won't get him out of those fancy dress gaffes
  • Options
    Varadkar and Trump holding press conference at White House

• Options
    DavidL said:

CatMan said:

FTSE 100 9.7% down.

Which is bad enough.
    The second S&P limit-down at 13% has never been triggered....
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

It's about timing, time differences and "like with like" considerations, e.g. FTSE100 has many heavily USA/ US$ influenced stocks, others less so. Basically, if USA sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold.
  • Options
    Posted without comment:

Gordon Jackson says these were things that were “thought of as nothing at the time”, which years later have become a “criminal thing”. Woman G says they were serious enough so staffing arrangements were changed so women were not allowed to work alone with Alex Salmond.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,535

Disgusting comment.

I know!

Trump brings out the worst in everybody - supporters and opponents alike.

It's a very special talent.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Varadkar should self-isolate on his return to Ireland.
  • Options
    CatMan said:
    And where will Sturgeon get all the extra finance from to deal with this crisis

The Westminster government of course
  • Options
    alterego said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

It's about timing, time differences and "like with like" considerations, e.g. FTSE100 has many heavily USA/ US$ influenced stocks, others less so. Basically, if USA sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold.
    Yes, plus relatively we have far fewer tools to do something about it. Whether you would want those tools in the hands of Donald Trump or Joe Biden or Jerome Powell is another discussion.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I think they are hoping it’ll all be over before the peak of the cricket season. Oh sorry, you meant the second most important ECB.
    Excellent.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,966

Testing, testing:

For what it's worth:
    USA Tests: 8,554 Positive cases: 1,374 Ratio: 16.1%
    UK Tests: 29,764 Positive cases: 491 Ratio: 1.6%

Where do you get the USA Tests number from?
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

...although I notice the CDC are reporting a total of 11079 tests now.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing-in-us.html
  • Options
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060

DavidL said:

RobD said:

If Boris is truly trying to make sure that this is a team effort rather than just playing lip service to it then making sure he doesn't hog the limelight and allows others to make important announcements seems to me an eminently sensible decision.
  • Options
    The US stopping flights with Schengen will make it much easier for the Schengen group to reverse the favour if the US situation spirals out of control whilst science led Europe recovers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Is Varadkar still a thing?
  • Options
    The London School of Economics has said it will switch to online-only classes and lectures for all undergraduate and taught postgraduate courses from 23 March, while summer exams will be replaced by online assessments.
  • Options

He thinks he is
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,472
    edited March 2020
    Worst trading day since Oct 1987

3rd worst fall in history
  • Options

The London School of Economics has said it will switch to online-only classes and lectures for all undergraduate and taught postgraduate courses from 23 March, while summer exams will be replaced by online assessments.

Students may start to ask why bother with universities when they realise the amount of high quality online courses available for a fraction of the cost. They are paying for status and the experience, rarely the knowledge.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031

The US stopping flights with Schengen will make it much easier for the Schengen group to reverse the favour if the US situation spirals out of control whilst science led Europe recovers.

Hasn't the US banned flights in both directions already?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    What is Trump going to do.

The appearance of not being in charge, for him, is worse than anything else remotely possible to imagine.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    BBC saying Australian GP called off!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51849163

"This weekend's season-opening Australian Grand Prix has been called off over coronavirus concerns, two senior F1 sources have told BBC Sport.

There has been no official confirmation as yet from F1 or governing body the FIA but the news follows a McLaren team member testing positive for the virus."
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2020
    Barnesian said:

eristdoof said:

Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

We really aren't running that much behind Italy now.

Yes we really are, and we are diverging faster and faster.

Worth remembering coronavirus arrived in the UK and in Italy on the very same day.
    I said it had slipped by two days since Sunday compared to Italy(which could easily be 1 and a half). At best that is diverging. That is not diverging faster and faster.
    Yes it is, its diverging faster and faster because of the exponential growth of the divergence.

Today our cases grew by 130 vs 211 if we were tracking Italy but weeks behind, a divergence of 81.

Diverging by 81 now is much faster than we'd diverged in the past in a single day.
    But the UK is still 14 days behind Italy on the curve. And look what has happened to Italy. You really cannot look at the current UK statistics and think things are getting better.
    I think Philip's point is that they are getting worse but more slowly than Italy did. If you go for the "ideal time" approach that is clearly important.
    This shows Italy and UK infections on a log scale up to 10 March.

It appears to me that the exponential growth is slowing down in both countries.

Source: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

The y-axis is on the log scale. That means that a straight line on that graph is exponential growth!!!
    Correct. As you can see, the line is not straight but slowly curving downwards implying the exponential growth rate is declining. (The second differential is negative).
    I think you'll find the lines are NOT curving downwards. They are still going up but with less of a gradient.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

Worst trading day since Oct 1987

3rd worst fall in history

Buying opportunity
  • Options
    RobD said:

Im thinking more about in the summer when the threat will imo be travellers from the US heading to the EU.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340

isam said:

isam said:

That's a good question - I think I read somewhere that people don't get flu and a cold at the same time, but I can't remember why.

If the health service is ovewhelmed in winter, then surely it is likely that flu deaths will be higher than otherwise?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Thermometers online are selling like crazy. Just found one for under a tenner incl delivery, not easy mind.

I have one of those oven ones for telling whether the turkey is done; presumably that would work? I just need to decide where to stick it.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited March 2020

Pulpstar said:

If your blood pressure is 132/83 would you get classified as "underlying condition" statistic ?

By the time you get to 65 you are more than likely to have at least two underlying health conditions.
    If your blood pressure is normal, but you are taking 5mg of say amlodopine per day, is that an underlying condition. I guess it is...
    If you have to take medication to reduce your blood pressure you have hypertension. All it means is that it is controlled by drugs. There is something about ACE inhibitors (to treat it) and ACE2 (which is the pathway that the virus uses) but I haven't got my head around what that means yet.

I take way more than that, with two different medications. Without them it would be running at 160+.
  • Options

What is Trump going to do.

The appearance of not being in charge, for him, is worse than anything else remotely possible to imagine.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/all-the-covid-monitored-people-who-have-met-trump-in-the-past-week
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

I have one of those oven ones for telling whether the turkey is done; presumably that would work? I just need to decide where to stick it.
    Very good...:)

Another medical use for a turkey baster?.....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

I have a relative who is undergoing chemotherapy and who needs to keep close track of her temperature. She thought she'd lost her thermometer, and I was trying to buy a new one this afternoon. They can't be had for love nor money! Luckily, though, she found hers again.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,639
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

DavidL said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Worth remembering coronavirus arrived in the UK and in Italy on the very same day.
    I said it had slipped by two days since Sunday compared to Italy(which could easily be 1 and a half). At best that is diverging. That is not diverging faster and faster.
    Yes it is, its diverging faster and faster because of the exponential growth of the divergence.

Today our cases grew by 130 vs 211 if we were tracking Italy but weeks behind, a divergence of 81.

Diverging by 81 now is much faster than we'd diverged in the past in a single day.
    But the UK is still 14 days behind Italy on the curve. And look what has happened to Italy. You really cannot look at the current UK statistics and think things are getting better.
    I think Philip's point is that they are getting worse but more slowly than Italy did. If you go for the "ideal time" approach that is clearly important.
    Indeed. We're not "14 days behind Italy" because we're not growing now at the same rate Italy grew 14 days ago.

You can't just track numbers you need to track velocity too. If velocity is not the same then you are not going to go to the same place.

Its like there is a roundabout for getting on/off a motorway. One car uses the roundabout gets on a clear motorway and drives at 90mph [Italy]. After an hour car A has travelled 90 miles.

An hour later car B uses the roundabout, enters a city with a 30mph speed limit and repeated traffic lights. In an hour's time will the second vehicle have travelled 90 miles just because car A did from the same point an hour before?
    You surely need to take a rolling average of a few days' figures rather than take one day in isolation?
    Its the same however many days you look at. From when the UK and Italy both had their first case (on the same day coincidentally) until today the path, change and quantity has never been the same.
  • Options
    The bizarre thing about all events being called off is it seems to be based off of 1 or more of the players/participants being tested positive whilst the far greater chance of someone in a crowd being +ve and then spreading the virus is ignored ?

I'm thinking of Oz GP/Cheltenham here.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Markets unhappy with ECB response.

Not a surprise with Christine Lagarde in charge
    Madrid down 13.7%. I mean, cataclysmic.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

eristdoof said:

Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

The y-axis is on the log scale. That means that a straight line on that graph is exponential growth!!!
    Correct. As you can see, the line is not straight but slowly curving downwards implying the exponential growth rate is declining. (The second differential is negative).
    I think you'll find the lines are NOT curving downwards. They are still going up but with less of a gradient.
    They have a positive first derivative but a negative second derivative.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

I have a relative who is undergoing chemotherapy and who needs to keep close track of her temperature. She thought she'd lost her thermometer, and I was trying to buy a new one this afternoon. They can't be had for love nor money! Luckily, though, she found hers again.
    Yes this is sadly a consequence of panicking. Now, with the US shutting down EU flights, the UK about to move to the "delay" phase, and the markets limit down you might ask whether this is ample reason to panic.

But nevertheless, on a day to day basis and, importantly, as the DCMO has said, on an individual basis the risks are still very small.
  • Options
    Turkish schools and universities to close.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

eristdoof said:

Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Yes
  • Options
    Also no trains on the Birmingham cross city line today. It's all going to pieces!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    CatMan said:

Jesus christ...
    twitter.com/aravosis/status/1238132638650695681?s=20

I don't think he has a clue what is going on, other than it is very very bad.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,639
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1238130027272851457

By my v rough calculation we could be looking at 3m cases by early May (2x every 4 days)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,890

Not for long...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    CatMan said:
    Perhaps he's been listening to to those Brexiteer freaks endlessly predicting ROI would be begging to rejoin the UK, and thinks it's already happened.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1238130027272851457

By my v rough calculation we could be looking at 3m cases by early May (2x every 4 days)

I don't think this is new news, from the outset they talked about month for community spread, 9 weeks of which 3 in the middle will be 50% of the cases and then cool down of a month.

So there are hoping make it through another week or so, then April / May / June is when the bombs are going off.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

eristdoof said:

Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

A negative second derivative on a log graph is well, it's good news eventually :p
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,535
    Just back from Waitrose. People wandering around there in a kind of daze. Normal for me, but odd to see so many in that state. Only loo roll left was a VERY high end camomile scented offering (with pictures on it) in packs of 4. Grabbed a couple, so my arse will be smelling extra sweet for the foreseeable. Every cloud.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1238130027272851457

A very rough calculation! Exponential rises never go on forever. At some point some other effect starts to limit the increase.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Every assistance short of actual help.....

The Italians asked for medical supplies. No one in the EU offered.....then China did.....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

I don't think this is new news, from the outset they talked about month for community spread, 9 weeks of which 3 in the middle will be 50% of the cases and then cool down of a month.

So there are hoping make it through another week or so, then April / May / June is when the bombs are going off.
    How the hell is the government going to explain that if China is on roughly 100,000 cases?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Just back from Waitrose. People wandering around there in a kind of daze. Normal for me, but odd to see so many in that state. Only loo roll left was a VERY high end camomile scented offering (with pictures on it) in packs of 4. Grabbed a couple, so my arse will be smelling extra sweet for the foreseeable. Every cloud.

Wait until they find out they won't be getting any artisan sun dried tomatoes or hand crafted pasta for the next 6 months....
  • Options
    CatMan said:
    You being to wonder which will be the more senile candidate.
  • Options
    glw said:

How the hell is the government going to explain that if China is on roughly 100,000 cases?
    Perhaps that we don't believe it was only 100k cases.
  • Options
    RobD said:

No - not flights - non-US passport holders on flights. Though how many flights remain is to be established...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,135

I suspect the private education sector would struggle to survive a prolonged closure period; plenty of savvy parents will be wanting fee refunds.

In the sandpit, the (mostly private) schools have been ordered closed for a month. They're all deploying technology for virtual classes and indent to keep learning going. No fee refunds, the teachers still need to be paid and the costs of running the building don't change much whether it's occupied or not.
  • Options
    CatMan said:
    Of course. And the special conference is cancelled says McDonnell. And RLB has already pre-recorded her victory speech...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

CatMan said:
    You being to wonder which will be the more senile candidate.
    Biden vs Pence incoming lol
  • Options

Also no trains on the Birmingham cross city line today. It's all going to pieces!

BREXIT!!!!.....COVID!!!!! fallen tree.....

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/live-updates-cross-city-rail-17909749
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

glw said:

Perhaps that we don't believe it was only 100k cases.
    If we have appear to have 30 times as many cases as China I don't give the government much chance of persuading the public that China's numbers are wrong.
  • Options
    The world economy has just had a serious myocardial infarction. It is not immediately obvious where the CPR is going to come from. Normally we would look to the Fed but with a delusional imbecile in the White House there is no one to do the compressions.
  • Options
    Final quote for the day from the Salmond trial:

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1238137240783642625?s=20
This discussion has been closed.