Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited March 2020 in General

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    First!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    IanB2 said:

First!

That's the best time to be infected.

Downhill all the way after that. :smile:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited March 2020
    Boris has a net favourable rating of +43% with Leavers and -59% with Remainers.

Starmer has a net favourable rating of +6%, Long Bailey of -18% and Nandy of +1%.

Starmer is most favoured by Remainers on +29% followed by Labour voters on +27%. Starmer is least favoured by Leavers on -13%, followed by Tory voters on -8%

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/boris-johnsons-honeymoon-slips
  • Options
    BJ sucks right?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    DJIA off over 2000 pts :o.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Experts are predicting a hotter-than-normal spring as temperatures could climb to a 23C next month.
  • Options
    Trump needs to do something to reverse that - and fast.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    "Having a gradual decline in overall favourability following an election outcome isn’t unsurprising."

Is that correct use of a double negative?
  • Options

Every time he opens his mouth he makes it worse. His address last night showed a scared man without a clue what to do, the exact opposite of what you want in a leader.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311

Experts are predicting a hotter-than-normal spring as temperatures could climb to a 23C next month.

Is that experts or "experts"?
  • Options
    FPT

Not exactly news but Trump's an arse isn't he?

What a pity that he set the DOW as the measure of how great a president he is.
    The thing that scares me, even more so than covid-19, is if Trump loses in November, he's not going to go quietly he is?

He might end up salting the ground so badly, even more damaging than when the Rome salted Carthage.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited March 2020

His resignation would probably add 3000 Pts instantly
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Starmer has a net favourable rating of +6%, Long Bailey of -18% and Nandy of +1%.

Starmer is most favoured by Remainers on +29% followed by Labour voters on +27%. Starmer is least favoured by Leavers on -13%, followed by Tory voters on -8%

In terms of Starmer, there are huge numbers of don't knows so his numbers have scope to improve or decline sharply when voters get to know him better.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Could cut Covid19 cases then in a month
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779

FPT

The thing that scares me, even more so than covid-19, is if Trump loses in November, he's not going to go quietly he is?

He might end up salting the ground so badly, even more damaging than when the Rome salted Carthage.
    Elections would be too risky from a public health perspective so its delayed until 2028. Or need to be held electronically securely via TrumpVote.com (TM).
  • Options
    FPT

IanB2 said:

Whoever it was that was going to start buying below FTSE 5400.....

Thats me! I have closed some of my spread option sells so getting longer gradually. I think fair value closer to 6000.

Dow feels way too high compared to FTSE now.
    A relatively safe trading position right now might be to buy a point on the FTSE and sell half a point on the Dow
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

"Having a gradual decline in overall favourability following an election outcome isn’t unsurprising."

If what he is trying to say is that's it's no surprise, then no.
  • Options
    Anyhow, laters
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

On the plus side, I can stop worrying about breaching the pension lifetime allowance.
    Will anyone think of the impact on pension advisors and inheritance tax planners?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

On the plus side, I can stop worrying about breaching the pension lifetime allowance.
    Will anyone think of the impact on pension advisors and inheritance tax planners?
    For most people with assets under £1 million their estate will not be liable for inheritance tax
  • Options
    What will cause the most Consternation and Uproar?

Shagger announces schools to close in line with everyone else?
    Shagger announces schools are staying open, stuff upper lip and all that?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    alex_ said:

His resignation would probably add 3000 Pts instantly
    This is where we get to see who's really in charge, the president or the lizard people. Now that he's costing rich people real money, do they have the power to get rid of him?
  • Options

twitter.com/georgebowden/status/1238103312597213184

Its a good job there wasn't twitter during WWII....
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Of all the countries in Europe the U.K. (well England certainly) seems to be the only one following a plan and sticking to it. Hope it’s a good one!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,704
    HYUFD said:

71% of housewives in East Lancashire and 81% in Hertfordshire expressed an interest in the concept of exotic ice-creams.

Only 8% in Hertfordshire and 14% in Lancashire expressed positive hostility, whilst 5% expressed latent hostility.

In Hertfordshire, 96% of the 50% who formed 20% of consumer spending were in favour.

0.6% told us where we could put our exotic ice creams.
  • Options

"Isn't unsurprising" ?
    No.

Should be "is unsurprising", or isn't surprising.

But we know what was meant anyway.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

Pulpstar said:

Maybe you can apply to the fund for businesses affected by the virus announced yesterday?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

In terms of Starmer, there are huge numbers of don't knows so his numbers have scope to improve or decline sharply when voters get to know him better.
    The Remainer Leaver divide will though almost certainly stay, the former like him, the latter don't, the reverse for Boris
  • Options
    So we should get the updated stats on how many cases there are in the UK soon.

For those who claim we're tracking Italy "days behind" we should see ~671 cases in today's update. I don't think we will.

UK yesterday 460
    Italy 26/2 445
    Italy 27/2 650
  • Options
    Numbers are late again, never a good sign.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

For most people with assets under £1 million their estate will not be liable for inheritance tax
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Of course. And sadly most over £10m find a way to ensure their estate is not liable for it either.
  • Options

FPT

That is where the 25th might just come in after all...
  • Options
    Scotland up to 60 cases from 34 yesterday.
  • Options

For those who claim we're tracking Italy "days behind" we should see ~671 cases in today's update. I don't think we will.

UK yesterday 460
    Italy 26/2 445
    Italy 27/2 650

I would guess around 550 today
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Of course. And sadly most over £10m find a way to ensure their estate is not liable for it either.
    Nothing wrong with careful tax planning
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Trading suspended, apparently.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

HYUFD said:

71% of housewives in East Lancashire and 81% in Hertfordshire expressed an interest in the concept of exotic ice-creams.

Only 8% in Hertfordshire and 14% in Lancashire expressed positive hostility, whilst 5% expressed latent hostility.

In Hertfordshire, 96% of the 50% who formed 20% of consumer spending were in favour.

0.6% told us where we could put our exotic ice creams.
    I didn't get where I am today without knowing where that came from..
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

The malaria season will start early then.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

No the individuals are acting rationally, no issue with them. Plenty wrong with govts allowing people to avoid paying their fair share intended by the legislation leaving poorer people to cover it. Close the loopholes and optouts.
  • Options

Scotland up to 60 cases from 34 yesterday.

Good points from Nicola that even if events over 500 don't actually spread the virus much they put additional pressure on front line services, notably ambulances and police. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51851341

Really hard to argue with that.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

No the individuals are acting rationally, no issue with them. Plenty wrong with govts allowing people to avoid paying their fair share intended by the legislation leaving poorer people to cover it. Close the loopholes and optouts.
    Those with fewer assets now pay no IHT at all, it is a tax targeted at the rich
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

FPT

That requires testicular fortitude which I expect Trump’s cabinet to lack.

They are the equivalent of political catamites.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    Betting post -

Sanders is now the SAME price (55) for both Nominee and POTUS.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Maybe you can apply to the fund for businesses affected by the virus announced yesterday?
    I am neither! Our business should hopefully benefit a little from the small business grant and increased employment allowance though. Still going to be a tough year as it will for most.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,759

This, perhaps, explains his drop in popularity. On the one hand those who think he should ignore the "flu" and carry on as normal. On the other hand those who believe he should have closed down the entire country last Monday. A scientifically informed, cautious response has few supporters, apparently.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Comment on “if Ireland is closing schools shouldn’t UK”

https://twitter.com/tomchivers/status/1238100017614905347?s=21
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    JM1 said:

24 new positives in Scotland (60 vs 36 the day previously). But note that the number of processed tests has increased markedly, from 82 to 576. There were 9 positives out of the 82 so, as a proportion, the fraction of positive results has actually declined. So this increase in numbers should be read in that context perhaps?

Shetland a hot spot..

https://twitter.com/BlackIslePMD/status/1238103003963547651?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    Pulpstar said:

Might need to revise my "20,000 before 30,000" to "15,000 before 25,000".

!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

How much did the Gerald Grosvenors estate pay on his £616,418,184? £0

It might be targeted but the targets are not very worried by your aim!
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,759
    JM1 said:

24 new positives in Scotland (60 vs 36 the day previously). But note that the number of processed tests has increased markedly, from 82 to 576. There were 9 positives out of the 82 so, as a proportion, the fraction of positive results has actually declined. So this increase in numbers should be read in that context perhaps?

Yes. But more to the point, who were selected for testing? Contacts of existing cases or random individuals with a cough? This would account for any variability. It's the unknown factor behind all the stats so far.
  • Options
    Is this season coming to an end? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51856906

3 Leicester players join Van Dijk in self imposed isolation.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kinabalu said:

Betting post -

Sanders is now the SAME price (55) for both Nominee and POTUS.

It is absolutely bizarre to me that GOP and DEMs are now both at evens. The Dems got out to 2.68 in February.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What a shame if Liverpool don't win the league ;-)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

FPT

That requires testicular fortitude which I expect Trump’s cabinet to lack.

They are the equivalent of political catamites.
    Though they might, just, rediscover their gonads should he lose.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Tragic.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    JM1 said:

5 million Scots having more new cases than 1.4 billion Chinese.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    edited March 2020
    At least a few things are clearer today than they were yesterday.

There are a range of strategies. Different experts have different views. Those citing experts and denigrating individuals on here taking a different view because they don't align with the experts were clearly wrong.

Now the question is who are the best experts? Well our experts are taking quite a different strategy to the East Asians and now to many of our Western neighbours. They might be right, they might be wrong.

But they are definitely, brave Minister.
  • Options

DavidL said:

If the season ends surely Liverpool have won it. Be farcical not to recognise that.
  • Options

DavidL said:

If the season ends surely Liverpool have won it. Be farcical not to recognise that.
    No no, we will have to start again next season. All results are null and void, only fair.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

How much did the Gerald Grosvenors estate pay on his £616,418,184? £0

It might be targeted but the targets are not very worried by your aim!
    The Grosvenor Estate is still subject to a periodic charge as a trust but as a Tory I believe in keeping taxes low
  • Options

There are range of strategies. Different experts have different views. Those citing experts and denigrating individuals on here taking a different view because they don't align with the experts were clearly wrong.

Now the question is who are the best experts? Well our experts are taking quite a different strategy to the East Asians and now to many of our Western neighbours. They might be right, they might be wrong.

That's not necessarily accurate.

Our experts have said there will be a time when they need to make decisions that other nations have made, but its not yet.

Given the UK is testing more than other nations are and having thus fewer "wild" cases than nations are it is entirely possible the time has come for other nations but not us yet.
  • Options
    “What the government should have been doing over these last weeks, which they’ve thrown away, is to encourage neighbourhoods, communities, supported by the local public health directors and a joined-up NHS.

“They should have been encouraging people to have their own family plans about how they will maintain the family show on the road, who will be taking the kids to school, how do you entertain them in the Easter holidays? They should have been much clearer, sooner, about making it clear that people shouldn’t be travelling so they could cancel their holidays and get their money back on the insurance.

“They haven’t done any of that. Who’s going to look after elderly people – stop them having to go out, do their shopping for them? People should have been doing that planning – they should have been pointed in that direction by the government. There’s been no discussion about that at all.”

Funnily enough that is what I have been doing with my family and my parents.

Maybe it would have been helpful if the rest of the country had been having these conversations too? Weeks ago perhaps..
  • Options

Comment on “if Ireland is closing schools shouldn’t UK”

https://twitter.com/tomchivers/status/1238100017614905347?s=21

But by the time you can tell whether it's a sensible precaution or an overreaction, it's too late.
    In any event, Easter is coming up, so if you want a relatively low cost month of school closure, there's only a week or so to make up your mind.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    HYUFD said:

Global warming coming along to save us!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Global warming coming along to save us!
    Don't tell Greta...
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,647

DavidL said:

If they are the rules Philip, bit like elections under FPTP, got to accept the rules :)
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    HYUFD said:
    Corbyn's ears have just pricked up...
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

UK yesterday 460
    Italy 26/2 445
    Italy 27/2 650

I would guess around 550 today
    Only 60 in England?
  • Options
    WHO says risk of infection appears to be high at small gatherings in indoor venues
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/cinemas-and-pubs-in-uk-remain-open-amid-coronavirus-concerns
    ...“We are operating on the basic assumption that the home is a primary place where transmission has been occurring, but something else we are also really picking up on is that in places where ventilation is poor, or if there is ventilation but a lack of proper filtration, then that can also be seriously bad,” Nabarro told the Guardian on Thursday.

He was speaking before a meeting of the government’s Cobra emergency committee, where ministers are expected to agree to move into the “delay” stage of its coronavirus strategy. This involves social distancing measures, such as restricting public gatherings and issuing more widespread advice to stay at home.

Nabarro stressed that information on how the virus was spreading was more circumstantial, and data was based on the still-evolving situations in countries such as China, South Korea and Iran, but he said that, after the home, transmission appeared to often be taking place indoors where people were gathered around tables.

“We are coming across stories where people, for example, have been sitting around a table in a restaurant or bar, where they are closer than 2 metres, spend quite a bit of time in each other’s company and the amount of time that passes is not clear. That appears to be the next commonest place where infections are taking place.

“That is why restaurants, pubs and churches – churches in particular because of physical closeness – are of interest.”...

(Quite a few schools would meet this description, too.)
  • Options
    And Trumps!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Massive jump in positives, but also big jump in tests. Now running at about 6% positive rate.
  • Options

There are range of strategies. Different experts have different views. Those citing experts and denigrating individuals on here taking a different view because they don't align with the experts were clearly wrong.

Our experts have said there will be a time when they need to make decisions that other nations have made, but its not yet.

Given the UK is testing more than other nations are and having thus fewer "wild" cases than nations are it is entirely possible the time has come for other nations but not us yet.
    No I don't think so.

I think what is clear now is there are two fundamentally different approaches. The first approach is to stomp this out at source. The second approach is to accept it is inevitable and manage it. We are going for the latter. Others are going for the former.
  • Options
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited March 2020
    Date - Tests - Positive - % Positive

06/03/2020 -- 2,255 -- 48 -- 2.1%
    07/03/2020 -- 1,122 -- 43 -- 3.8%
    08/03/2020 -- 2,053 -- 67 -- 3.3%
    09/03/2020 -- 1,447 -- 46 -- 3.2%
    10/03/2020 -- 1,301 -- 54 -- 4.2%
    11/03/2020 -- 1,215 -- 83 -- 6.8%
    12/03/2020 -- 2,238 -- 134 -- 6.0%

• Options

No I don't think so.

I think what is clear now is there are two fundamentally different approaches. The first approach is to stomp this out at source. The second approach is to accept it is inevitable and manage it. We are going for the latter. Others are going for the former.
    I disagree. With all our testing we're doing more than other countries in Europe to stomp this out at source.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Date - Tests - Positive - % Positive

06/03/2020 2,255 48 2.1%
    07/03/2020 1,122 43 3.8%
    08/03/2020 2,053 67 3.3%
    09/03/2020 1,447 46 3.2%
    10/03/2020 1,301 54 4.2%
    11/03/2020 1,215 83 6.8%
    12/03/2020 2,238 134 6.0%

This is clearly why the egg heads are still doing the keep calm and wash hands. I bloody hope they are right.
  • Options

No I don't think so.

I disagree. With all our testing we're doing more than other countries in Europe to stomp this out at source.
    So why have we allowed flights in from Italy (just a few days ago) and Spain (ongoing).

Round and round we go.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311

This, perhaps, explains his drop in popularity. On the one hand those who think he should ignore the "flu" and carry on as normal. On the other hand those who believe he should have closed down the entire country last Monday. A scientifically informed, cautious response has few supporters, apparently.
    Such caricature is unhelpful. I would like the government to have taken some additional, modest and sensible steps to contain the virus.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    No new Covid-19 deaths in the UK since yesterday morning, or perhaps the day before, if yesterday's announcement was I think from a UK man abroad.
  • Options
    For attention of TSE...no longer do you have to put up with shitty IoS.

Run Android On An iPhone..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXeQVZA40-0
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    134 new UK cases. The ramp is well under way.
  • Options

No new Covid-19 deaths in the UK since yesterday morning.

The death announcements normally come in the evening.
  • Options
    The BoJo is incoming in a few minutes to give us all an update.
  • Options

No I don't think so.

So why have we allowed flights in from Italy (just a few days ago) and Spain (ongoing).

Round and round we go.
    Because we aren't going insane.

We are telling people who come home from Italy to self-isolate for 14 days.
  • Options

Such caricature is unhelpful. I would like the government to have taken some additional, modest and sensible steps to contain the virus.
    How are you calculating the cost of those steps on the NHS pressure next winter to consider the whole picture? What models do you have? Based on which previous epidemics? How have you factored in NHS staffing levels?

The team making the decisions has done all those steps and hundreds more.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited March 2020
    Coronavirus latest news: 590 cases in total as two more UK fatalities takes death toll to 10

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-uk-cases-deaths-numbers-covid-19-latest-live/

One 89, one in 60s, both serious other illnesses.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

No new Covid-19 deaths in the UK since yesterday morning.

Two in London - according to the Telegraph
  • Options
    2 dead in Ldn according to Sky News
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    OK not good news.

Any mention of whereabouts in London ?
  • Options

How are you calculating the cost of those steps on the NHS pressure next winter to consider the whole picture? What models do you have? Based on which previous epidemics? How have you factored in NHS staffing levels?

What utter balls.
    They have no idea how this will turn out by next winter.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If the football season is brought to an early close, how will that work for promotion and relegation?

Asking as a Norwich City fan.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    3 Leicester City players isolated as COVID19 suspects. Shit gets real...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

What utter balls.
    They have no idea how this will turn out by next winter.
    Of course they dont know. It is their job to predict.
This discussion has been closed.