Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    TGOHF666 said:

Ireland seem to have followed some bum advice.

Combatting the faecal - oral tranmission route?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020

If you remain at home, you will not be tested.

That seems hugely risky, as how will they know if there is a big cluster and they get hit like in Northern Italy?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020

Italy cases 15,113 +2,651 Deaths: 1,016 +189

196 people died of it in Italy on Wednesday, if I'm right. Terrible figures and terrible experiences for those involved, but it seems to be stabilising.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    Experts: no point in closing schools at the moment.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    International school trips and over-70s going on cruises were not supermegafantastic ideas last week, nor the week before that, and HMG were fully aware of this. As anybody who'd been paying attention would have been well aware, I'd have thought. Cancelling them would have been easier if the government had stated the obvious.

I trust that the government are getting very good scientific advice on big calls like school closures, cancelling sporting events, calling up extra NHS staff etc. I can't trust that this excellent advice is going to be implemented brilliantly (issues re PPE/training for medical staff, for example). And I certainly don't trust every word emanating from the mouths of the government and its advisers, because if they're doing their jobs correctly then they will have thought very carefully about their communication strategy, rather than just blurting out the unvarnished, complex truth and acknowledging doubts and gaps in the evidence.

I hope at least in this phase they will be straight up about how high-risk groups (I'm talking selfishly because I'm one of them!) can reduce their risks. I know there were reasons they weren't fully transparent about this before, for example people getting fed up with following restrictions, but surely "don't go on a cruise" isn't the kind of advice people were going to get itchy about if asked to do it for an extra couple of weeks? Should it ever come close to a Lombardy style lock-down, again they'll know far more than they will say. I trust the quality of their advice to HMG more than I trust their openness with us.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

Bumbling leader bumbles

I think Johnson is a tosser, but I think he was very genuine and sincere just now. The bloke understands its going to be bad, and he's following the plan that his team thinks is the right one.
    It might not be, but I honestly believe he isn't playing games.
    His mother must be proud, seeing him grow up at last.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_xP said:
    Bullshit! Containment has failed. Containment was Plan A.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266

That seems hugely risky, as how will they know if there is a big cluster?
    The local hospital will be full.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    China We took draconian measures and beat this thing.

Italy We left it a bit late but we are taking draconian measures to try and limit the deaths

Trump My idea of pretending it's not serious isn't working we will do draconian things now.

Boris keep washing your hands and sing happy birthday.

Couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Every man or woman for themselves now it appears, the UK government is choosing to be behind the curve rather than ahead of it.

Just do what you need to do to protect yourself and your family, I suppose.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

That seems hugely risky, as how will they know if there is a big cluster and they get hit like in Northern Italy?
    Increased hospital admissions at the severe end?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I just don't buy this oldies can't isolate, it just too hard mentality.

Most of these people lived through the war or its aftermath.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kinabalu said:

I suspect the private education sector would struggle to survive a prolonged closure period; plenty of savvy parents will be wanting fee refunds.

Yay!

So -

1. Trump swept away.
    2. Private schools out of business.
    3. Legacy of better personal hygiene.
    4. Great buying opportunity when the Footsy hits 3,000.
    5. ???

The pluses mount.
    Those who get it early can go on really, really cheap holidays.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Increased hospital admissions at the severe end?
    Its a bit late then...you get hit with a bomb.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

That latter part is the problem. People who lived through the war or its aftermath need support now.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    What happened to this claim they were going to start testing 10,000+ a day? That is what South Korea did.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Blimey. Mail really going for Boris. "Boris Virus Farce".

This is madness. He's following the experts.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    But deaths per day in Italy down.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Boris - Scotland’s NHS is less resilient.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    Ouch..Boris just bitchslapped Sturgeon there.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

They can't isolate if they have no family to help them. Your parents are very lucky in such a diligent son.

There are many old people with no children, or children a long way away.
  • Options

Sturgeon said there would be random testing for these sort of reasons
  • Options

That latter part is the problem. People who lived through the war or its aftermath need support now.
    You can support them, but also tell them not to go out (at the very least, just don't go out unless you absolutely 100% need to). That is very different from don't go on a nice cruise.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited March 2020

But deaths in Italy down.
    It's not going to be a straight increase. Globally we stalled at 4k new cases a day for 4 days, and now we're over 8 just 2 days after.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

Italy We left it a bit late but we are taking draconian measures to try and limit the deaths

Trump My idea of pretending it's not serious isn't working we will do draconian things now.

Couldn't make it up.

Clearly you can because you just did.
    I'm wondering if he actually watched the press conference.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Maybe I am a weirdo, I don't get this you can't mentality stay isolated for a few weeks. I did 3 months of it stuck in bed after an op and housebound for total 5 months.

It really wasn't that bad, loads of telly, got work done, and learned a load of new stuff off the interweb.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    196 was quoted for Wednesday.

Italy cases 15,113 +2,651 Deaths: 1,016 +189

• Options
    Behavioural science?? Other countries are going to be horrified at this whole shambles.
  • Options

Maybe I am a weirdo, I don't get this you can't mentality stay isolated for a few weeks. I did 3 months of it stuck in bed after an op and housebound for 5 months.

It really wasn't that hard, loads of telly, got work done, and learned a load of new stuff.

Especially when it is likely to save your life and the lives of your loved ones.
  • Options
    This is a disappointing development:

"Chinese officials push conspiracy theory coronavirus originated abroad
    Theory is gaining traction online in China that Covid-19 came from the US"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/conspiracy-theory-that-coronavirus-originated-in-us-gaining-traction-in-china
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

Bumbling leader bumbles

I think Johnson is a tosser, but I think he was very genuine and sincere just now. The bloke understands its going to be bad, and he's following the plan that his team thinks is the right one.
    It might not be, but I honestly believe he isn't playing games.
    Agree. I yield to no one in my estimation of the wankerishness of Boris. But on this one he is playing a blinder.

Will he get it right? Perhaps. But his approach is understandable and, knowing the bloody-mindedness of the Brits, probably right also.
  • Options

They can't isolate if they have no family to help them. Your parents are very lucky in such a diligent son.

That is why I would hope the government would have a plan for this. Identify the oldies, but don't do face to face, but drop off food etc.

Also, they aren't talking about the really vulnerable, they still aren't telling reasonably healthy oldies that you really need to keep out of the way.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    TGOHF666 said:

Lol, now is not the time for petty politicking except for EssEnnPee baaad. What a bunch of hypocrites.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

This is a disappointing development:

"Chinese officials push conspiracy theory coronavirus originated abroad
    Theory is gaining traction online in China that Covid-19 came from the US"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/conspiracy-theory-that-coronavirus-originated-in-us-gaining-traction-in-china

This wouldn't have been an issue if it had been called the Wuhan flu.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Scott_xP said:
    Bullshit! Containment has failed. Containment was Plan A.
    And her expertise is?

The science guys are saying that many people will not be able to stick quarantine beyond a certain period and so this needs to be done when the hit works for max effect.

Does Gill want to self-isolate for three or four months and see what happens?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Couldn't make it up.

I did we aren't taking this serious.

You will see within a fortnight.

Carry on washing your hands Rob that should do the trick.
  • Options

Maybe I am a weirdo, I don't get this you can't mentality stay isolated for a few weeks. I did 3 months of it stuck in bed after an op and housebound for 5 months.

It really wasn't that hard, loads of telly, got work done, and learned a load of new stuff.

Especially when it is likely to save your life and the lives of your loved ones.
    You would hope that might be just a bit of a small motivation factor.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    So the Government are quite happy for me to get out and about and catch it.

Why the feck don't they even advise people to WFH if they can?

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    The big problem groups are going to be those who live alone and don't or can't maintain seven days of food or other supplies and need to go out and the second group are those who cannot afford not to go to work and will continue to struggle on however ill they are infecting others because they need the money to pay rent and buy food.
  • Options
    Astonishing, they are saying what I've been saying that children get it but nothing at all about them spreading it to each other and then to families and so on.
  • Options
    Mortality rate believed to be less than 1% overall.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    They are back to 80% getting it and 1% dead.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

You would hope that might be just a bit of a small motivation factor.
    Except those who think "Fuck 'em, I wanna go down the pub and watch the footie..."
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    This is better than the presentation last week. Clearly explaining the decisions and the rationale for them.
  • Options

That is why I would hope the government would have a plan for this. Identify the oldies, but don't do face to face, but drop off food etc.

Many of them will need carers to cook the food.

I still don't see how they can self-isolate.
  • Options

RobD said:

Couldn't make it up.

Hm, whose advice to take. Yours, or the chief medical officer's?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    ukpaul said:

Behavioural science?? Other countries are going to be horrified at this whole shambles.

You mean those with many more cases and many more deaths?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I'm pretty damn certain now that the CMO and CSO do not believe the Chinese figures.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,706
    Scott_xP said:
    How can there not be a peak at some stage?
  • Options

Many of them will need carers to cook the food.

I still don't see how they can self-isolate.
    Meals on wheels?

Also, I wasn't necessary talking about the absolutely most vulnerable, I was talking about the large number in 60/70s who are otherwise pretty fit and healthy and really need to keep away from society.
  • Options
    We're being ruled by those who can't be bothered to isolate and do what is necessary. I really can't believe what I'm hearing.
  • Options

That's not what he said. He said they were using 80% as the model number at the moment, but it was effectively speculative and a real number will emerge from other countries further down the track.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    She's clearly out of her depth. But she is a journalist, not an epidemiologist.
  • Options
    glw said:

I'm pretty damn certain now that the CMO and CSO do not believe the Chinese figures.

Clearly not.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Lol, now is not the time for petty politicking except for EssEnnPee baaad. What a bunch of hypocrites.
    The English NHS has less beds per 1000 population of any Western European Health system.

We have cut Acute beds by 1/3 since 2010. Let's see how Care in the Community works when you need a respirator
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I have already made that point.

It is an insight into what kind of intelligence gets you a PPE degree from Magdalen College, Oxford.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited March 2020

So the Government are quite happy for me to get out and about and catch it.

Why the feck don't they even advise people to WFH if they can?

Maybe not everyone feels the need for the government to tell them what they should do? If you are worried about catching it whilst out and about, stay indoors! It is allowed, even if the PM hasn't ordered it
  • Options

That's not what he said. He said they were using 80% as the model number at the moment, but it was effectively speculative and a real number will emerge from other countries further down the track.
    Yes, but at one point they were much more focusing on they think 20% is realistic. They aren't willing to mention that again.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

I don't like the pessimism that it isn't possible to hide away the elderly. Unlike kids or working age adults, they don't need to go to school or work.

I am 100% certain oldies can manage 3 months inside.

I know grand-parents look after kids, but surely schools can do after-school clubs (if you scrap the requirements of adult / kids ratios).

There is a tension between the public advice they dole out based on what they think most people can do (or behaviourally, what they will do when given instructions) versus the scientific advice that a self-interested risk-minimiser would like to receive to pull off their strategy as safely as possible, if they felt confident they were sufficiently determined and wouldn't get lazy later. Someone who really wants to dodge the disease, or has loved ones they want to protect, is going to have to listen to something other than the official advice and work some stuff out for themselves. I think that's just how it is. Figuring out last week that they ought to avoid cruises wasn't too hard. Figuring out what reasonable next steps to take might be a bit trickier. I hope more detailed official advice on "cocooning" comes out later.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    edited March 2020
    I think that was paraphrased as - going to the stadium to watch football, is less bad than going to the pub with your mates to watch a closed doors match.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited March 2020
    stodge said:

The big problem groups are going to be those who live alone and don't or can't maintain seven days of food or other supplies and need to go out and the second group are those who cannot afford not to go to work and will continue to struggle on however ill they are infecting others because they need the money to pay rent and buy food.

Most infected people will not get seriously ill and will mostly be infecting people who won’t get seriously ill.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

We're being ruled by those who can't be bothered to isolate and do what is necessary. I really can't believe what I'm hearing.

These guys are trying to model the behaviour of millions of people.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

The English NHS has less beds per 1000 population of any Western European Health system.

Wrong.

Wales is far worse.

Who runs Wales?

(Actually, many countries are worse than England in Western Europe -- England is about in the middle. Wales is at the bottom.)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    She's clearly out of her depth. But she is a journalist, not an epidemiologist.
    I find is interesting how those who want to carry out their personal program are completely ignoring the explanations given by the CMO and CSO. Not saying they are wrong, but simply not acknowledging what they are saying.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

ukpaul said:

What do they know? They only have a staff of dozens/hundreds and a budget of millions. I'm sure @ukpaul has the same resources at his fingertips.
  • Options

The best thing is probably to be prepared for those figures while trying to reduce them as we go along.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

Most infected people will not get seriously ill and will mostly be infecting people who won’t get seriously ill.

Unfortunately they may well infect people who do end up seriously ill so that's just a glib response.

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

And gals don’t forget. Unlike it appears in the US
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015
    TGOHF666 said:

Imagine Jezza at this time as PM.

Boris’s optimism is tremendous.

Unfortunately is is just stupidity though, not the time to be led by a lying cheating thick bell end.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Couldn't make it up.

This site seems chock full of people who think their instinctive response trumps the CMO. It’s humbling to be surrounded by such expertise.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Couldn't make it up.

Good luck. Boris is washing his hands (of making a decision) by claiming to follow such advice.

Just like Blair followed "advice" on Iraqs WMDs
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Jesus wept.

Is that it? Don't go on a cruise and stay home if you feel ill?

Not just me thinking this is a total shitshow either: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/health-expert-brands-uks-coronavirus-response-pathetic
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    The message is clear – keep calm and carry on

Nick Triggle
    Health Correspondent
    Other countries are closing schools, restricting movement and banning mass gatherings.

But health officials in the UK are taking a much more gradual, step-by-step approach. Why?

The obvious answer is that we have a relatively low number of confirmed cases so there is no need to take steps that will have profound social and economy consequences.

But we are also in this for the long haul. Countries taking drastic steps may well slow transmission. But how long can those steps be sustained?

At some point they have to be lifted and then the number of cases will rise.

If you can have some kind of controlled transmission, where the number of cases are kept low enough to allow the NHS to cope, is that a better way of managing it?

That’s certainly what the experts and ministers in the UK have decided. They believe it gives them the best chance of saving lives in the inevitable spread of the virus across the country.

BBC
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    I do believe Boris has lost some weight.

Perhaps this being PM lark isn't always as much of a doodle as once thought.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Couldn't make it up.

This site seems chock full of people who think their instinctive response trumps the CMO. It’s humbling to be surrounded by such expertise.
    I have to wonder if BJO would be saying the same thing if the CMO was saying exactly the same thing but standing next to Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

ukpaul said:

What do they know? They only have a staff of dozens/hundreds and a budget of millions. I'm sure @ukpaul has the same resources at his fingertips.
    So you're happy to run the risk of serious illness just because a bunch of people think it's just a bit of the flu and the kids won't take any notice anyway?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

Jesus wept.

Is that it? Don't go on a cruise and stay home if you feel ill?

Not just me thinking this is a total shitshow either: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/health-expert-brands-uks-coronavirus-response-pathetic

That fellow is good- he agreed with your criticism of Boris' 5pm Presser at a quarter past one!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Italy's evening update

Currently infected: 12.839 (+2.249 compared to yesterday) including 1,153 in Intensive care (+125)
    Deaths: 1.016 (+189)
    Healed: 1.258 (+213)
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

RobD said:

ukpaul said:

So you're happy to run the risk of serious illness just because a bunch of people think it's just a bit of the flu and the kids won't take any notice anyway?
    I think Johnson's first words were "this is not flu".
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Couldn't make it up.

I have to wonder if BJO would be saying the same thing if the CMO was saying exactly the same thing but standing next to Corbyn.
    You wouldnt would you.

You would be shouting at the TV
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Italy's evening update

Currently infected: 12.839 (+2.249 compared to yesterday) including 1,153 in Intensive care (+125)
    Deaths: 1.016 (+189)
    Healed: 1.258 (+213)

That's a rise in the healed number per day as well as a decrease in the daily death rate, isn't it ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

Imagine Jezza at this time as PM.

Boris’s optimism is tremendous.

Unfortunately is is just stupidity though, not the time to be led by a lying cheating thick bell end.
    https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1238155043313983489?s=21

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Go have a chat with your GP....WTF...no if you are old, don't go to the GP because you fancy a chat, keep clear of sick people.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015

malcolmg said:

Final quote for the day from the Salmond trial:

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1238137240783642625?s=20

So far it has been like a Carry On film script
    Carry on raping wasnt one of the funniest though Malc
    There are no charges of rape, typical unionist bollox.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ukpaul said:

RobD said:

ukpaul said:

Ah, I'm not referring to the government, I'm referring to the mass of people who are dismissing the whole thing as being 'hyped'. Government by the slowest to catch on. It's not exactly Churchillian is it?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    Not a reassuring response from Chief Scientific advisor on the UK avoiding the Italian outcome.

Hmm...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    edited March 2020
    glw said:

Last question exactly on that point.

Kinda ducked. But they do not believe that you can stop the widespread infection indefinitely.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Peak predicted to be end May to end June.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Couldn't make it up.

You wouldnt would you.

You would be shouting at the TV
    Nice diversion. No, I wouldn't be.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Couldn't make it up.

They didn't listen closely at the beginning. It Is DESIRABLE that the infection spreads some more, before we go into lock down.

Yet PB is full of people calling for more to be done to stop its spread now.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

RobD said:

ukpaul said:

RobD said:

ukpaul said:

Ah, I'm not referring to the government, I'm referring to the mass of people who are dismissing the whole thing as being 'hyped'. Government by the slowest to catch on. It's not exactly Churchillian is it?
    In your original comment you were talking about who we were being ruled by. Aren't we ruled by the government?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Actually, I think that must make a fourfold increase in those healed per day in Italy, a reduction in new intensive care cases, and a reduction in deaths per day.

The number of cases is increasing but the prognosis seems to be going in the opposite direction and getting better.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Final quote for the day from the Salmond trial:

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1238137240783642625?s=20

So far it has been like a Carry On film script
    Carry on raping wasnt one of the funniest though Malc
    There are no charges of rape, typical unionist bollox.
    Drinking pre mixed Mai Tai and Limoncello out of the bottle must make you feel proud malc..
  • Options

But deaths per day in Italy down.
    We don't know about the ones dying alone at home .
  • Options
    RobD said:

ukpaul said:

RobD said:

ukpaul said:

RobD said:

ukpaul said:

In your original comment you were talking about who we were being ruled by. Aren't we ruled by the government?
    Yes, but they are making decisions based on when the population will listen to them. Seriously, other countries must be getting very unnerved about that whole approach.
This discussion has been closed.