Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden moves to 93% chance on Betfair after walloping Bernie in

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

Well, the Waitrose guy has been and gone. He says it's busier than Christmas with the home deliveries, they are calling people in on days off, and yesterday was their highest volume of online orders ever.

And, yes, they have absolutely no toilet roll - he says there are people outside the store before it opens each day, and they go straight to the toilet roll aisle and within minutes whatever has been put out that day has gone. Madness.

Surely if you are locked down, with unlimited time on your hands, and have a shower and a loo in the same room... I do have a couple of multipacks, but mainly as a trading position.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    Kantar:

How well do you think the UK government is handling the Coronavirus outbreak?
    Very well: 8
    Fairly well: 39
    Fairly Poorly: 19
    Very Poorly: 14
    Not Sure: 20

Net "Well" : +14

Splits along predictable demographic & party lines - for example, 65+ net well is +39
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

@Anabobazina regarding smoking from the previous thread. A few of the reasons why the government may not be strongly advocating quitting as part in of their anti-coronavirus strategy. The stress of quitting (particularly under these circumstances) can in some instances have greater health drawbacks in the short term than continuing. Quitting may lead to changes in habits that would be unpredictable and not necessarily aid containment eg outdoor fag break swapped for indoor interaction. Quitters who need NHS support and advice may tie up services needed for other things. Etc.

As someone who quit 16 years ago it is just about the most difficult habit to overcome.

Furthermore, I would assume stopping now is a bit too late to help in covid 19
    I didn't want to say that last one as it's never too late! But yes, it is a point.

Do you have a link to that Kantar poll G?
    Well done BIG G. I went cold turkey on cigarettes 7.5 yrs ago . it was blooming hard thing to do. I had voices in my head telling me it would be alright just to have one. It required considerable presence of mind to refuse offers from friends and even more difficult was stopping myself buying a pack of B and H.... after a week, the cravings diminished and I now cannot bear the smell, and its particularly unpleasant smelling cigarette smoke from others clothes.I guess is impossible to get rid of , bar dry cleaning.
    I gave up 15 months ago because I suddenly got shit scared of getting cancer...... it wasn’t that difficult if you have a motivation to do so.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,583
    edited March 2020
    dr_spyn said:
    It's all in the capitalisation.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552

For those who were bemoaning the lack of EU action yesterday, they have waived the " use it or lose it " rule for airport slots. This saves airlines having to run empty flights just to keep the slots.

And in fairness they announced £25bn of emergency spending which seems to be focused at helping health systems keep going. But the ECB needs to watch and learn from what the BoE has done this morning. A massive loosening of monetary policy is necessary to try to mitigate the damage to the economy and Member States do not have the full range of tools themselves.
  • Options
    Looking at the FTSE we are so Wall Street's bitches.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2020

Alistair said:

Dems creeping down to evens. Act fast, this special offer won't last.

Aren't they already there??
    Just popped back up to 2.02. Dems got to a truly astounding 2.7 during the Primary season, the GOP got down to 1.4.

I think there is easily scope for it to end up the other way over the next month.

I got on Dems at 2.5, I'm going back in at evens.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123

Nigelb said:

There are others, and other ways of responding:
    Response to COVID-19 in Taiwan
    Big Data Analytics, New Technology, and Proactive Testing

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762689

And as has been pointed out numerous times, the government will have been given a range of options.
    Simple things like advising those with respiratory infections (Nadine) to self isolate were reasonably obvious to non experts a week ago.

The government will been given a very strong steer by the scientific experts. (I know some of the people involved on the statistical side, and I have a very high opinion of their judgment).

Whatever, that does not excuse Rory Stewart from tweeting a bollox graph made up by a journalist & author. The person who created the graph (Tomas Pueyo) has his profile on LinkedIn, so you evaluate for yourself whether to trust it, based on his experience. He seems to be a Bay Area SeanT.
    This is not just about *science*. This is about judging benefits and costs. That is inherently political and is a value-judgement.

The government are not trying to *minimse* deaths - that is not the only parameter in their utility function. If it was, then that can purely be informed by epidemiology.

Instead they are trying to balance the harm to the economy with public health. They are miscalculating in my view and I think in due course that will be the view of the wider public.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587

Re Covid 19 fpt.. my friend is on a Fred Olsen ship but do not know the name of it.. He got on in Barbados iirc.

Olsen's Braemar is due into Barbados tomorrow for disembarkation (but didn't call there earlier, coming from Dominican Republic and originally Southampton). it was turned away at Dominican two weeks back when eight passengers had flu symptoms, but they are all apparently better. Passengers report that yesterday two of their number tested positive for Corona. There is also a Canadian who left the ship and returned home who is one of the Canadian positives.

The tests off the ship are being airlifted to Holland for testing; meanwhile it is being held at Curacao and I can see another Caribbean Princess episode developing here.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,400
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    There seems little point in providing money for research into epidemiology, public health and transmission of infectious diseases.

There are untrained experts on twitter that provide their insights & knowledge for free.
    "There seems little point in providing money for research into epidemiology, public health and transmission of infectious diseases."

Well, Trump certainly agrees with that.
    The graph that Rory Stewart has tweeted showing a neat "40 percent difference" in red is ludicrous. Any serious modeller would have confidence limits, for a start.

The graph was created by someone called Tomas Pueyo, who seems to be a journalist and author, but he knows enough to create a simple model. We might as well ask SeanT & Henrietta to make the graph and get Rory to tweet it.

Rory is someone who is coming out of this badly. My opinion of him has diminished very substantially. Who would have thought he would handle this worse than Boris?

I think Boris realises how very damaging it would be to do something against the advice of his scientific and medical advisors.

And epidemiology is a mature science on which a lot of research has been done for decades, and sophisticated modelling techniques are possible. So, Boris is right to listen to his experts (who are not party political).
    Like yourself, I quite liked Rory until a couple of days ago, almost to the point of wondering if Shaun Bailey should stand aside and give him a free run at Sadiq.

Not now, he's quickly turned into yet another of the amateur internet epidemiologists who think - without evidence - that their opinion is more important that those of the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientist.

Politicians and journalists really need to shut up and listen to the genuine experts. As someone suggested here yesterday, the media should be sending their science or health correspondents to the government briefings, rather than the political correspondents.
    Sorry, but this is balls.
    You might just as well say we shouldn't comment on government economic policy.
    by all means comment.. if you have the professional qualification to do so.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916

@Anabobazina regarding smoking from the previous thread. A few of the reasons why the government may not be strongly advocating quitting as part in of their anti-coronavirus strategy. The stress of quitting (particularly under these circumstances) can in some instances have greater health drawbacks in the short term than continuing. Quitting may lead to changes in habits that would be unpredictable and not necessarily aid containment eg outdoor fag break swapped for indoor interaction. Quitters who need NHS support and advice may tie up services needed for other things. Etc.

As someone who quit 16 years ago it is just about the most difficult habit to overcome.

Stopping now will help.

A smoker who stops today:
    - if they are positive and have symptoms the disease will not hit as hard (compromise of lung function is one of the main factors in the disease)
    - if they are positive but as yet symptom free the disease progression will be slower and not as severe.
    - someone who is negative will be less likely to catch the disease, as they are putting their hands to their mouth less often, and for some people they will mingle less with strangers, accept cigarettes from friends less etc.
    -within just a few days the lungs will start to become more efficient, and the blood will have less carbonmonoxide meaning that the person has to breathe less air in, meaning lower chances of infection.
    -within a couple of weeks the immune system and general health will be significantly better, reducing the chance of infection.

Another relevant point that I think many people overlook. Someone who meets a positive person is not bound to be positive or immune. The chances are that none or too little of the virus really gets into the body to take hold.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    There seems little point in providing money for research into epidemiology, public health and transmission of infectious diseases.

There are untrained experts on twitter that provide their insights & knowledge for free.
    "There seems little point in providing money for research into epidemiology, public health and transmission of infectious diseases."

The graph that Rory Stewart has tweeted showing a neat "40 percent difference" in red is ludicrous. Any serious modeller would have confidence limits, for a start.

The graph was created by someone called Tomas Pueyo, who seems to be a journalist and author, but he knows enough to create a simple model. We might as well ask SeanT & Henrietta to make the graph and get Rory to tweet it.

Rory is someone who is coming out of this badly. My opinion of him has diminished very substantially. Who would have thought he would handle this worse than Boris?

I think Boris realises how very damaging it would be to do something against the advice of his scientific and medical advisors.

And epidemiology is a mature science on which a lot of research has been done for decades, and sophisticated modelling techniques are possible. So, Boris is right to listen to his experts (who are not party political).
    Like yourself, I quite liked Rory until a couple of days ago, almost to the point of wondering if Shaun Bailey should stand aside and give him a free run at Sadiq.

Not now, he's quickly turned into yet another of the amateur internet epidemiologists who think - without evidence - that their opinion is more important that those of the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientist.

Politicians and journalists really need to shut up and listen to the genuine experts. As someone suggested here yesterday, the media should be sending their science or health correspondents to the government briefings, rather than the political correspondents.
    You can comment on it. You can link to evidence from reputable sources.

Rory has done something different.

He has linked to a graph produced by a journalist, author and motivational public speaker and argued that it has the credibility of work by professional epidemiologists, data scientists and statisticians.

I can comment on something and show a graph produced by my simple-minded code using the Principles of Eadric-ology. But, I should not expect anything other than criticism and ridicule. That is what Rory deserves & should get.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,587
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

+1 to that. I never thought I'd say it, but Johnson over Stewart here - Johnson at least seems to be leaving it up to the experts.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,066
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

We'll agree to disagree there. IMO this is too important for petty politics to get in the way, everyone needs to be singing from the same hymn sheet to the public otherwise the messages become confused.

If the government's politicians start arguing with the CMO and CS in public, then it's fair enough to criticise the response, but right now they're all saying exactly the same thing - while the media are giving airtime to a bunch of amateur epidemiologists who are either needlessly scaremongering or saying it's nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Still little sign of a decisive assault on 24000, which is holding for now.

Rishi will rescue us this afternoon (perhaps)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I think it's legitimate to quote people, random people on Twitter for example, and then it is up to others to decide on the validity of the content.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,270
    edited March 2020

Kantar:
    Among Lab GE19 Voters:

Who do you think would make the best leader of the Labour party?
    Starmer: 25
    Nandy: 15
    Wrong-Daily: 8
    Don't Know: 52

52% "Don't Know" among Labour voters and only a quarter for the favourite - hardly a ringing endorsement!

Of Tory voters 10% prefer Starmer, 6% Nandy, 4% Long Bailey.

19% of non Labour voting Remainers say Starmer makes them more likely to vote Labour but only 7% of non Labour voting Leavers
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,158
    IanB2 said:

Well, the Waitrose guy has been and gone. He says it's busier than Christmas with the home deliveries, they are calling people in on days off, and yesterday was their highest volume of online orders ever.

And, yes, they have absolutely no toilet roll - he says there are people outside the store before it opens each day, and they go straight to the toilet roll aisle and within minutes whatever has been put out that day has gone. Madness.

Is there something special about Waitrose bog roll ?

There's no shortage in Tesco and Morrisons.
  • Options

A health minister catching it in the early days isn't the scenario they will have thought of.

It happened very publicaly in Iran, and it has been spreading around governments of other countries too, so if they haven't thought it could happen here that would be incompetent.
    Given their lifestyle they are particularly susceptible
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

+1 to that. I never thought I'd say it, but Johnson over Stewart here - Johnson at least seems to be leaving it up to the experts.

He is, but there seem to be many expert views on this. That means there's quite likely to be a political judgement going on as well.
  • Options

I didn't want to say that last one as it's never too late! But yes, it is a point.

Well done BIG G. I went cold turkey on cigarettes 7.5 yrs ago . it was blooming hard thing to do. I had voices in my head telling me it would be alright just to have one. It required considerable presence of mind to refuse offers from friends and even more difficult was stopping myself buying a pack of B and H.... after a week, the cravings diminished and I now cannot bear the smell, and its particularly unpleasant smelling cigarette smoke from others clothes.I guess is impossible to get rid of , bar dry cleaning.
    Very much my experience but it took 3 months cold turkey to achieve it

Now I am so against smoking and cannot stand being near anyone smoking or vaping

During my copd health check 2 years ago the nurse commented that stopping smoking had saved my life
    The zeal of the convert is clearly your thing.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

IanB2 said:

It may reflect on the demographic most inclined to panic, I guess? (edit/ and/or be more up with the news)
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. It’s all the more troubling because Rory was a Cabinet Minister not so long ago and should know better. We can forgive people like some posters here for second guessing the CMO based on their morning tea leaves, but not him.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I think it's legitimate to quote people, random people on Twitter for example, and then it is up to others to decide on the validity of the content.
    So long as they are presented as random person from twatter
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

I say it quite often that equities is really the only game in town for the majority of investors.

A friend I was with yesterday bought puts (now sold at a profit!) on the Dow and FTSEa short while ago which sounds like the type of trading you are doing. But for almost everyone else buy and hold is their (usually outsourced) strategy.

I'd be interested to know whether @Ishmael_Z had gone back into the markets again yet.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

IanB2 said:

No, just something special about ******* who shop at Waitrose.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,201

Nigelb said:

There are others, and other ways of responding:
    Response to COVID-19 in Taiwan
    Big Data Analytics, New Technology, and Proactive Testing

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762689

And as has been pointed out numerous times, the government will have been given a range of options.
    Simple things like advising those with respiratory infections (Nadine) to self isolate were reasonably obvious to non experts a week ago.

The government will been given a very strong steer by the scientific experts. (I know some of the people involved on the statistical side, and I have a very high opinion of their judgment).

Whatever, that does not excuse Rory Stewart from tweeting a bollox graph made up by a journalist & author. The person who created the graph (Tomas Pueyo) has his profile on LinkedIn, so you evaluate for yourself whether to trust it, based on his experience. He seems to be a Bay Area SeanT.
    I'm not going to make any case for Pueyo - other than to say that if the government were more open about the detailed advice they were being given, such efforts would be rendered irrelevant.

The reason I pointed out the Taiwan example is that they reacted a great deal more promptly - and their VP is an epidemiologist, and has regularly been issuing public briefings.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It may reflect on the demographic most inclined to panic, I guess?
    Personally, I don’t feel right doing my morning business unless I’ve got Harrods loo roll, pre-folded by my valet and placed on a silver platter for me.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Local Tesco was out of capers and hand sanitizer yesterday, plenty of toilet rolls
  • Options

For those who were bemoaning the lack of EU action yesterday, they have waived the " use it or lose it " rule for airport slots. This saves airlines having to run empty flights just to keep the slots.

Yesterday they announced they would pass legislation to do so - but it has to be published, pass the European Council and Parliament. The question was raised at PMQs a week ago and Shapps wrote to the Commission.

We're not out of the woods yet:

The move has been backed by Virgin Atlantic chief executive Shai Weiss, who said it was now vital to ensure the measures – described by von der Leyen as "temporary" – extend to all airlines around the world for the entire summer season.

"The impact of Covid-19 on our bookings has been significant and requires a swift response, which the transport secretary has recognised," said Weiss. “The European Commission today [Tuesday] indicated it is in favour of a temporary relaxation of the ’use it or lose it’ rule for flight slots at regulated airports.

"This is a positive step, but we urgently expect detail of these measures, and confirmation that alleviation will apply to all markets for the full summer season.

“Prompt publication of the legislation will allow the UK slot co-ordinator to act, enabling Virgin Atlantic and other airlines to operate schedules more efficiently and avoid flying almost empty planes for the sake of retaining valuable slots, which in turn creates unnecessary carbon emissions.”

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/eu-to-suspend-use-it-or-lose-it-airport-slot-rule-21670
  • Options
    philiph said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

So long as they are presented as random person from twatter
    It helps but ultimately it's caveat emptor imo.
  • Options

A health minister catching it in the early days isn't the scenario they will have thought of.

It happened very publicaly in Iran, and it has been spreading around governments of other countries too, so if they haven't thought it could happen here that would be incompetent.
    Ah, but Westminster MPs are different. They are not susceptible to the same illnesses that the rest of us are.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Ah, but Westminster MPs are different. They are not susceptible to the same illnesses that the rest of us are.
    They are British damnit.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

I say it quite often that equities is really the only game in town for the majority of investors.

A friend I was with yesterday bought puts (now sold at a profit!) on the Dow and FTSEa short while ago which sounds like the type of trading you are doing. But for almost everyone else buy and hold is their (usually outsourced) strategy.

I'd be interested to know whether @Ishmael_Z had gone back into the markets again yet.
    Buy and hold is the right strategy in almost all circumstances, the exception being the type of large longer lasting crash that comes along once or twice in a generation.

Given what the medical experts are telling us lies ahead - a period of lock down, then a significant (but hopefully less so than it might have been) epidemic, a gradual return to normal, with the probability of a further epidemic next winter, I don't think buying back in will make any sense at all in 2020.

Especially as the US looks as if it is setting itself up to be worst affected, and as you said yourself, Wall Street leads the world markets.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Can I be the thousandth person to make the joke that MPs are safe because germs are killed by hot air?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,158
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It may reflect on the demographic most inclined to panic, I guess? (edit/ and/or be more up with the news)
    I thought the Waitrose demographic was affluent, educated people in southern England.

Are Waitrose shoppers older and have folk memories of some toilet roll shortage of long ago ?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

I guess those who hoard toilet paper by extension must recognise themselves as the biggest ars*holes?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Now I am so against smoking and cannot stand being near anyone smoking or vaping

During my copd health check 2 years ago the nurse commented that stopping smoking had saved my life
    The zeal of the convert is clearly your thing.
    Maybe but stopping smoking 16 years ago was prompted by my daughter who said she would restrict access to my one year grandaughter if I did not stop. According to the nurse I would not have survived to now if I had continued smoking but even then I have acquired copd
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

He has linked to a graph produced by a journalist, author and motivational public speaker and argued that it has the credibility of work by professional epidemiologists, data scientists and statisticians.

I can comment on something and show a graph produced by my simple-minded code using the Principles of Eadric-ology. But, I should not expect anything other than criticism and ridicule. That is what Rory deserves & should get.
    I don't get the flap. We have a government which lies through its teeth to an electorate who wants to be lied to for reassurance. Its OK for serving Tories to disseminate dubious expert free information but not former Tories...?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I'm not going to make any case for Pueyo - other than to say that if the government were more open about the detailed advice they were being given, such efforts would be rendered irrelevant.

You are very optimistic if you believe more openness by the Government will render irrelevant the efforts of the Pueyos, Henriettas and Eadrics of the World :)
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Stopping now will help.

A smoker who stops today:
    - if they are positive and have symptoms the disease will not hit as hard (compromise of lung function is one of the main factors in the disease)
    - if they are positive but as yet symptom free the disease progression will be slower and not as severe.
    - someone who is negative will be less likely to catch the disease, as they are putting their hands to their mouth less often, and for some people they will mingle less with strangers, accept cigarettes from friends less etc.
    -within just a few days the lungs will start to become more efficient, and the blood will have less carbonmonoxide meaning that the person has to breathe less air in, meaning lower chances of infection.
    -within a couple of weeks the immune system and general health will be significantly better, reducing the chance of infection.

Another relevant point that I think many people overlook. Someone who meets a positive person is not bound to be positive or immune. The chances are that none or too little of the virus really gets into the body to take hold.

Yes I accept that
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

They are leading by example. They haven't taken it seriously enough and now some of them are coming down with it first.

Hopefully this will be the kick up the arse they need.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Personally, I don’t feel right doing my morning business unless I’ve got Harrods loo roll, pre-folded by my valet and placed on a silver platter for me.
    Folding is apparently a European-specific thing. Americans bunch.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

We'll agree to disagree there. IMO this is too important for petty politics to get in the way, everyone needs to be singing from the same hymn sheet to the public otherwise the messages become confused.

If the government's politicians start arguing with the CMO and CS in public, then it's fair enough to criticise the response, but right now they're all saying exactly the same thing - while the media are giving airtime to a bunch of amateur epidemiologists who are either needlessly scaremongering or saying it's nothing to worry about.
    Then how do you account for the Dorries case ?

That's clearly not about not issuing advice because "it might be too early and the public might not take it seriously" etc. She was simply doing the wrong thing (not self-isolating as soon as she had an RTI), based on an incorrect assessment.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Buy and hold is the right strategy in almost all circumstances, the exception being the type of large longer lasting crash that comes along once or twice in a generation.

Given what the medical experts are telling us lies ahead - a period of lock down, then a significant (but hopefully less so than it might have been) epidemic, a gradual return to normal, with the probability of a further epidemic next winter, I don't think buying back in will make any sense at all in 2020.

Especially as the US looks as if it is setting itself up to be worst affected, and as you said yourself, Wall Street leads the world markets.
    Im close to buying at these rates, especially the UK markets. My impression is the risks of big disaster have subsided a bit in the last week, even if the economic costs are becoming clearer. FTSE 6000 feels fair value and think year end could easily be back above 7000. We should get some volatility the next week or two to allow buying in around 5500 or lower.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I like to see the funding case for that scientific study....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241
    dr_spyn said:
    Barf Barf
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

They can afford large houses and so have spare storage space for a cheap and bulky product.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I don't get the flap. We have a government which lies through its teeth to an electorate who wants to be lied to for reassurance. Its OK for serving Tories to disseminate dubious expert free information but not former Tories...?
    It is not the Government, you fuckwit.

It is scientific advisors to the Government.

They are in general not Tories, and most of the ones I know are left-of-centre. They advise the Government because they think it part of their duty that the Government has access to high quality science advice.
  • Options
    If people are hoarding bog rolls without also stocking up on dried pasta, rice, flour etc. Then they are stupid.

If in the more likely scenario people are hoarding bog rolls whilst also getting food so they can live through a potential lock-down, then that isn't stupid. In fact it is super rational.

In an ideal world that building up of stock would have been going on for 3-4 weeks now.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You are very optimistic if you believe more openness by the Government will render irrelevant the efforts of the Pueyos, Henriettas and Eadrics of the World :)
    It leaves an information vacuum which will be filled.

As an small example, the CMO recently said in an interview of one piece of advice 'this seems paradoxical', and left it at that rather than explaining why.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,711
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

What I did not realise until this morning when I checked the packaging to see where Andrex is made (Britain, not China, as it turns out) is that the label includes instructions for use.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

David Aaronovitch tweets 'have to have a heart of stone not to laugh' about Nadie Dorres. Total piece of pond life.

Certainly not his finest moment.

As has been pointed out, she has an 84 year old mother also infected.
    Sympathy is in order, however much her case might illustrate missteps in government response.
    Still cannot get head round that she is in government, I thought she had retired, how desperate is the talent level in the Tories when we have her and the likes of Grayling in positions of power. It can only be old chums network or Boris looking to have cabinet dumber than him.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Another Brit death - in Bali (and first in Bali):

https://twitter.com/renaehenry9/status/1237673515152629761?s=20

“The patient was admitted to the hospital in an already severe condition caused by preexisting illnesses including diabetes, hypertension, hyperthyroidism and years-long obstructive lung disease,” Achmad said.

He said the coronavirus infection had worsened the patient’s immune system, which had further exacerbated her preexisting illnesses. “So the coronavirus was not the main cause [of the patient’s death], but it had worsened her condition.”

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/11/indonesia-reports-first-death-from-covid-19.html
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I'm trying hard not to visualise what "bunching" toilet roll means!
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,926
    Essexit said:

A video I saw on Reddit yesterday showed Biden shouting at a man who asked him a question about the second amendment, and telling him (the questioner) that he was 'full of shit'. Biden also seems confused and frankly out of it in every video. Maybe he's a better shot than Sanders, but it's hard to believe he's the best the Democrats have to offer.

Biden is not ideal (who is?) but the consensus across the political spectrum on PB seems to be that just about anybody would be better than Trump.

Let's hope that the covid-19 crisis opens the eyes of even some of the dimest Trumptons in the US.

Biden might sound a little confused at times but Trump actually believes the bullshit he comes out with on a daily basis.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Absolutely not. I am not a trader, I am the world's most boring buy and holder and you can't time the marketer, so the move out of the market represented a complete paradigm shift, and not one I intend to reverse any time soon. I was probably overinvested in equities anyway.

Next review point is 6 April (new year isa and sipp money) but I don't see me doing anything about it. ftse 5000 and three months reasonable stability are probably what it takes to tempt me back in.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Im close to buying at these rates, especially the UK markets. My impression is the risks of big disaster have subsided a bit in the last week, even if the economic costs are becoming clearer. FTSE 6000 feels fair value and think year end could easily be back above 7000. We should get some volatility the next week or two to allow buying in around 5500 or lower.
    On the underlying economic substance, you may have a point. You may also have a point in that previous crises have seen the bottom well before any resolution is in sight. It is however sentiment that drives markets, at least in the short term, and AFAICS a stream of bad news is pretty much nailed on for the next few months at least. I guess the counter-argument is if a vaccine or cure is discovered, or if by some miracle the virus melts away during the summer.

The latter case is likely pain deferred, of course, and not a case for a buy. But I wouldn't fancy being caught holding sell positions the day a vaccine is announced.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Essexit said:

A video I saw on Reddit yesterday showed Biden shouting at a man who asked him a question about the second amendment, and telling him (the questioner) that he was 'full of shit'. Biden also seems confused and frankly out of it in every video. Maybe he's a better shot than Sanders, but it's hard to believe he's the best the Democrats have to offer.

Biden is not ideal (who is?) but the consensus across the political spectrum on PB seems to be that just about anybody would be better than Trump.

Great, we get a "just about anybody" as POTUS.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That's your southern jessies for you, have they not heard of docken leaves
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,096

If ultracrepidarian comment is now haram this place is going to be a fucking wasteland.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

It is not the Government, you fuckwit.

It is scientific advisors to the Government.

They are in general not Tories, and most of the ones I know are left-of-centre. They advise the Government because they think it part of their duty that the Government has access to high quality science advice.
    Advisers advise, ministers decide. I thought we'd established that over the last few weeks?

Are you privy to these discussions by chance? If so, do you know if there are a range of potential strategies and whether the government is pursuing one of them?

What's their utility function? How much are they willing to trade 10,000 deaths for a 1% reduction in GDP? Would be useful for the public to know.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,517

Quilted. Makes for a nice experience. You want it to carry on forever.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

David Aaronovitch tweets 'have to have a heart of stone not to laugh' about Nadie Dorres. Total piece of pond life.

Certainly not his finest moment.

As has been pointed out, she has an 84 year old mother also infected.
    Sympathy is in order, however much her case might illustrate missteps in government response.
    Still cannot get head round that she is in government, I thought she had retired, how desperate is the talent level in the Tories when we have her and the likes of Grayling in positions of power. It can only be old chums network or Boris looking to have cabinet dumber than him.
    One of the gestures towards the Brexiteer tendency, I guess.
    I can't see she is of even junior ministerial quality.

I was as surprised finding out she was a minister as much as I was about the infection news.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,264
    OllyT said:

Essexit said:

Let's hope that the covid-19 crisis opens the eyes of even some of the dimest Trumptons in the US.

Biden might sound a little confused at times but Trump actually believes the bullshit he comes out with on a daily basis.

Yes, I think the Trumptons on here are now limited to the hard right TGOHF and perhaps the Putinite crank Lucky Guy.

Even HYUFD is relaxing his Trumptonite position.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,587
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

As a professional epidemiologist (usual disclaimer, not in infectious disease), I'm happy to admit I don't know how this is going to play out. Worst case scenarios are, by definition, unlikely, but government is correct to plan around those - we expect them to cope and have a plan whatever happens. The government should be (and all indications are that they are) taking this very seriously, but with a measured response weighing up the pros and cons.

Chatting yesterday to a colleague who is more in this field (heavily involved in WTO response to Ebola and was on the ground in that outbreak) he pointed out that, while he also knows nothing much from the public figures, those involved in the response will have more data. No crystal ball, but details on all the cases, how they got infected (if known) and the likely vectors of infection. They are in a better position to judge the correct responses at the correct time than all the armchair epidemiologists (qualified or not) looking at trend lines on the tracking websites.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

That's a fair point about 2020 but as we all know people are just looking for a catalyst, however flimsy, to get back in.

Nothing wrong with sitting on cash even if the central bankers are trying to get you to do something with it.
  • Options
    What a waste.

American Tourist Complains To Scottish Hotel After Mistakenly Using Fudge As Soap.

The reviewer thought the confectionery was an exfoliating bar and even used it in the shower

https://www.ladbible.com/community/viral-us-tourist-blasts-scottish-hotel-after-mistaking-sweet-treat-for-soap-20200310
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

We all have broadly the same access to economic theories and data, there is tons of it out there, various policies have been tried in many countries over many different situations. People outside the govt can have close to as much knowledge as the Treasury. It is also not time critical.

On Covid 19 there is a very limited amount of data and knowledge, which changes on a daily basis, and is not widely known. No single expert from any field can have good context of the impacts to other fields.

The two scenarios are very different. As long as the govt response is science led, given access to all available resources, other politicians and media should be very reluctant to criticise.
  • Options
    Has Barnesian reported in recently? Hope he avoids it in his Italian adventure.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,517

How did you manage to sleep during the worst of the cold turkey?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

As long as it is going back up , no complaints
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Quilted. Makes for a nice experience. You want it to carry on forever.
    Costco Edinburgh had sold out of all but their own brand of toilet roll. They had piles of moist flushable wipes though. I must admit that was a mental step to far for me even if faced with covidgeddon.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

What I did not realise until this morning when I checked the packaging to see where Andrex is made (Britain, not China, as it turns out) is that the label includes instructions for use.
    Fck, you are right.

Also, hm the queen uses it, I have been omitting the Washlets ™ part of the drill all my life, and you should not use the plastic bag to commit suicide by asphyxiation. Never seen such an information rich bit of packaging.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I'm trying hard not to visualise what "bunching" toilet roll means!
    When I was in the US I was surprised that folding paper there didn't seem to be delivering the results to which I have become accustomed, so I googled it, as one does, to uncover lots of online discussion about the transatlantic differences in wiping habits. It would appear that our former colonial cousins take a length of paper and scrunch it up into a type of ball or bunch. Presumably this works better with the American style of paper.

Count yourselves lucky to have learned today's something new so soon after breakfast.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    OllyT said:

Essexit said:

Biden and Sanders are in the thick of it meeting lots of people in an apparently massively infected country. They both match the most vulnerable profile if affected by COVID.

Given Trump's usual self-isolation in the WH or the golf course, he may be the only one standing.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I'm guessing it's part of their marketing, well it made you publish on their name on this forum. The marketing for Andrex toilet roll has been strong for decades, you could even say it has been soft, strong and very, very long.

This was a genuine paid advert from them in Viz in the late 80's.
    http://viz.co.uk/2014/09/25/wipe-arse-andrex/

• Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Bath Oliver biscuits, it tells you on the packet, are delicious with wine and cheese, apparently.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Arrived back from Northern Italy in the early hours to find my flat stocked with flowers and food by my daughters in anticipation of my self isolation for 14 days.

Fantastic skiing for two days but empty slopes and hotels. Didn't visit bars or use gondalas. Alone on chair lifts. Sometimes couldn't see another person on the slopes.

Inghams did a great job getting us home (the Austrians prevented us getting to Innsbruck). Flew out of Verona on a rescue flight.

Delighted to hear it. Fingers crossed for staying negative.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

On the underlying economic substance, you may have a point. You may also have a point in that previous crises have seen the bottom well before any resolution is in sight. It is however sentiment that drives markets, at least in the short term, and AFAICS a stream of bad news is pretty much nailed on for the next few months at least. I guess the counter-argument is if a vaccine or cure is discovered, or if by some miracle the virus melts away during the summer.

The latter case is likely pain deferred, of course, and not a case for a buy. But I wouldn't fancy being caught holding sell positions the day a vaccine is announced.
    It doesnt sound like a miracle that the virus melts away during the summer. The govt are expecting a 3 week peak around April/May so are expecting big declines by the summer. It is odds on imo.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,793
    Lying in bed last night I thought "Feck It!" and decided not to attend the conference I was due to be at today. Just heading for home.
  • Options
    Wow two totally independent and different quotations from Viz within a few minutes.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Arrived back from Northern Italy in the early hours to find my flat stocked with flowers and food by my daughters in anticipation of my self isolation for 14 days.

Fantastic skiing for two days but empty slopes and hotels. Didn't visit bars or use gondalas. Alone on chair lifts. Sometimes couldn't see another person on the slopes.

Inghams did a great job getting us home (the Austrians prevented us getting to Innsbruck). Flew out of Verona on a rescue flight.

Yay.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    philiph said:

Has Barnesian reported in recently? Hope he avoids it in his Italian adventure.

See 10:04.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    eristdoof said:

OllyT said:

Essexit said:

... and it's an improvement!
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,930
    edited March 2020

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

We all have broadly the same access to economic theories and data, there is tons of it out there, various policies have been tried in many countries over many different situations. People outside the govt can have close to as much knowledge as the Treasury. It is also not time critical.

On Covid 19 there is a very limited amount of data and knowledge, which changes on a daily basis, and is not widely known. No single expert from any field can have good context of the impacts to other fields.

The two scenarios are very different. As long as the govt response is science led, given access to all available resources, other politicians and media should be very reluctant to criticise.
    It is the role of the scientific experts to set out the options: if you do a, x will happen; if you do b, y will happen, etc. But is the role of the politicians, not the experts, to choose whether to do a or b, and that is why it is a cop out for a politician to say they are simply following expert advice. Any choice is (one would hope!) science led, but choices must still be made. And other people may reasonably disagree with those choices.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

It doesnt sound like a miracle that the virus melts away during the summer. The govt are expecting a 3 week peak around April/May so are expecting big declines by the summer. It is odds on imo.
    We don't know what this coronavirus does in summer.

We do know that MERS, another coronavirus, comes from Saudi Arabian camels.
  • Options
    Worth bearing in mind as scoffers scoff....

https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1237681781559754752?s=20
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Potholes are a major nuisance and the only people who would mock are surely out of touch ignoramuses who think life revolves around the Tube rather than cars.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,926
    eristdoof said:

OllyT said:

Essexit said:

Just about anybody but Trump would suit most people right now.

Biden is an experienced Senator and former Vice-President. Even if he's not as sharp as he was he will have the sense to be surrounded by experienced advisers. He won't believe that he knows better than anyone else as Trump does.

Biden would be a very significant upgrade in the current crisis, instead we've got an egotistical moron.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

We don't know what this coronavirus does in summer.

We do know that MERS, another coronavirus, comes from Saudi Arabian camels.
    Its worth bearing in mind that most coronaviruses melt away in a combination of hot, sunny and humid.

Saudi is hot and sunny but dry, its lacking the humidity that we have in this counry.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,793

Another Brit death - in Bali (and first in Bali):

https://twitter.com/renaehenry9/status/1237673515152629761?s=20

“The patient was admitted to the hospital in an already severe condition caused by preexisting illnesses including diabetes, hypertension, hyperthyroidism and years-long obstructive lung disease,” Achmad said.

He said the coronavirus infection had worsened the patient’s immune system, which had further exacerbated her preexisting illnesses. “So the coronavirus was not the main cause [of the patient’s death], but it had worsened her condition.”

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/11/indonesia-reports-first-death-from-covid-19.html

Guess where one of my colleagues has just gone on holiday...
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1237655687846559747?s=09
    Maybe he should call an election? ;)
  • Options

Lying in bed last night I thought "Feck It!" and decided not to attend the conference I was due to be at today. Just heading for home.

Ladies and gentlemen I have great pleasure now in introducing our next speaker...

*pause*

*whispers*

Oh.

Ladies and gentlemen I regret too say...
This discussion has been closed.