Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2019 polling race: The pollsters ranked by the CON lead

Comments

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited December 2019
    kinabalu said:

Andrew said:

Pinch of salt caveats wrt rumours etc, but that was an 18% Lab maj last time, and it's only a moderately leavy area.

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1205188821857558529

No, not Laura! That would sink my great odds next Lab Leader bet.

And more importantly, the nation would lose a top top political talent.
    She's got a 9,000 majority. Labour are in trouble in the north if they are in trouble there.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Like Kensington it's not been a safe seat since Labour "managed" the review process in the early 2000s.

Nicola is well known in the area - a perceived risk to the Lib Dems (only 8k majority in a very Remainer area)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,138
    The pound is really dropping quite rapidly now against the dollar.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    alex_ said:
    Have another glass, there’s still plenty of time.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    camel said:

You've been very consistently predicting that.

My prediction is 353/220/13/40 so I think that's a 54 majority.

It's way above my original betting position (HP), so I'll not be making vast amounts of cash.

I have put a fiver on Cons 370+ at 9/1 today, and a few other saviour bets to ease the pain of an exceptional night for 'statesman' who hid in a fridge.

OK, thanks. I will make a large sum if my call is right. Or yours for that matter. Yet I would prefer to see a shock hung parliament and lose. Which got me thinking - how big would a betting profit have to be to make me neutral. Answer? £25,000. That's how much I'd pay, in other words, to see "Boris" out. For Trump it's bigger. Maybe double that. Crazy, huh.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    edited December 2019
    nichomar said:

Harry Cole says Tories confident in Kensington, but not in Esher...

Kensington Tory Gain thanks to Swinson standing a high profile Tory homophobe there as a LD

Shameful
    What did labour ever offer the lib dems to ensure Johnson couldnt win.... nothing so fuck off with your ridiculous views
    Calm down why isnt your candidate the ex Tory homophobe standing in a LD Tory target seat.

Why did Swinson launch the LD campaign in a Lab marginal walking next to her anti Gay Candidate

Because Swinson is stupid
  • Options
    Shyness comes mainly from being in opposition to those around you (these days particularly if they are lefty as they are tending to be somewhat judgemental) or a degree of shame if you think you are acting slightly immorally (could apply to Waspi ex-Tories) or if you think the questioner will disapprove.
  • Options
    0.8 cents in the last 90 minutes or so.
  • Options
    SlackerSlacker Posts: 2
    edited December 2019
    GBP/USD dropping all day and getting worse in last couple hours -- the hedge funds will have had info since 2pm and getting more confidence in their data by the hour

This could be tighter than expected -- on east coast it has been torrential rain since before lunch
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Can someone please explain in words of one syllable why better has swung massively onto NoM today?
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

Greetings from the Land of the Fish! Voting brisk, mid-brisk and unbrisk here. Went to local polling station (junior school at 7.30am - they'd earlier had to improvise with an alfresco booth and box system because the caretaker slept and didn't get there to open up til 7.10am!! My local guesses - Conservative gains in Great Grimsby, |Scunthorpe, Lincoln and (possibly) Hull West and Hessle but - like everyone else - I have no idea whats going to happen ....

I suspect the same.

Here in Yellow are the areas that the Conservatives will probably see a swing against them in England and Wales, and in Blue a swing against Labour:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_EU_Referendum_Results_by_Constituency.svg
  • Options
    Chris said:

It is trying to level off, but FX traders have PB on their other screen.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    tyson said:

Can someone please explain in words of one syllable why better has swung massively onto NoM today?

High youthful turnout?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Could be useful. If so it would mean it's still not all clear-cut yet, despite the lack of reports on the ground.
  • Options

I’m heading to vote in 45 minutes or so. The red suit may deter any coded information about voting speed being given. But I shall do my best to get that vital information.

Are you still wearing the green jumper?

Why am I asking someone I only know online what they are wearing?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

LOL
  • Options
    tyson said:

No one knows owt?
  • Options
    How would it sound if they said "OK it's probably foregone conclusion in this constituency, but please wrap up warm, put your wellies on and come out into the driving rain for the evening"?
  • Options
    Will rain have a differential effect on turnout? That may be crucial. I haven't got a feeling for that.
  • Options
    Slacker said:

GBP/USD dropping all day and getting worse in last couple hours -- the hedge funds will have had info since 2pm and getting more confidence in their data by the hour

This could be tighter than expected -- on east coast it has been torrential rain since before lunch

The hedge funds chestnut again....we heard that one on the remain night, when in reality no-one knew what the fuck was going on....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Just come on here to see everyone looking at tick by tick changes in the betting markets.

Surely we know by now, and are all richer as a result, that the betting markets don't know anything more than we do. In fact as we saw and benefited from on EUref day, they know substantially less.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    kinabalu said:

camel said:

You've been very consistently predicting that.

My prediction is 353/220/13/40 so I think that's a 54 majority.

It's way above my original betting position (HP), so I'll not be making vast amounts of cash.

I have put a fiver on Cons 370+ at 9/1 today, and a few other saviour bets to ease the pain of an exceptional night for 'statesman' who hid in a fridge.

OK, thanks. I will make a large sum if my call is right. Or yours for that matter. Yet I would prefer to see a shock hung parliament and lose. Which got me thinking - how big would a betting profit have to be to make me neutral. Answer? £25,000. That's how much I'd pay, in other words, to see "Boris" out. For Trump it's bigger. Maybe double that. Crazy, huh.
    I`ve been predicting 10 - 20 maj all week, I`ll stick with that
  • Options
    Slacker said:

If the Hedge Funds are doing an exit poll in the heart of London like in 2016, they will be massively out.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,952
    If this is a HP I am going to look really stupid. Although to be honest, I still think everybody is panicking unnecessarily.
  • Options

tyson said:

No one knows owt?
    As I thought

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    tyson said:

No one knows. Your guess as good as each man's.
  • Options
    tyson said:

There isn’t any proper news, and so people turn to social media. Which is awash with posts from London showing people queuing to make Labour’s safe seats even safer.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086
    Everyone under 30 I know appears to have voted. Even those who didn’t vote in the EU ref. Primarily for Labour.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,879
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

I shit you not. I'm in the canteen picking up stuff to go and two of the serving staff were discussing the election behind a partition. The convo segued onto the EURef, and one of them was insistent that the EU had passed a law to abolish the Royal Family in 2022. I don't know what to say, I really don't. Lord God Above, how can the world hold such bollocks?

Probably a targeted facebook from "Boris".
    “Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Fridge”
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    Just logged on for the first in 4 hours and Betfair says 1.59.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    speedy2 said:

Slacker said:

If the Hedge Funds are doing an exit poll in the heart of London like in 2016, they will be massively out.
    They’ll be out again in force on Primrose Hill, waiting for Byronic to stroll by.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

Buy shares in underwear manufacturers and tena
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Quite bizarre Andy_JS
    Have you got some spreadsheet ready for tonight when you can make us all a shedload of cash
  • Options
    There are too many of these “knife edge” Labour posts now from the north.

Me thinks they’re going to hold on in most but it’s going to be incredibly close. I suspect the next few hours will be key.
  • Options

RobD said:

There's no way canvasing tallies are that precise. Is there any net gain in information by posting tweets from this account?
    You'd need tellers in every polling station providing live time information to get that kind of detail.
    Which isn’t happening in P&S.

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I would say if hedge funds have done any exit polls they might wait until say 8pm. The latter they leave it the more accurate but they only need them before 10pm really.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    The thing I don’t get is why Raab should be uniquely in trouble in Esher and Walton. Yes there might be some personal factors, yes there might be a reasonable vote to squeeze if all opponents get behind the right candidate. But still... if he’s in trouble surely there must be some other seats flying completely under the radar which should be at risk?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Me thinks they’re going to hold on in most but it’s going to be incredibly close. I suspect the next few hours will be key.

Yes - it looks like a few problems for Labour in some of these, but could that be counteracted by massive turnout elsewhere ?

Also the Tories look very shaky in some of these Southern Remainy seats, but may still have the help of postal votes on their side from elsewhere.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

The last 11 1/2 and the next three and a quarter hours are key.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Brom said:

I would say if hedge funds have done any exit polls they might wait until say 8pm. The latter they leave it the more accurate but they only need them before 10pm really.

If they wanted to make serious money they would force the market out to what wasn’t the true result. Then reel in when the opposite happens.

We’ve all seen Trading Places and frozen concentrated orange juice right?
  • Options
    Brom said:

The hedge fund thing is a myth....

Tory internal polling isn 2017 was reassuring May she was in line for a comfortable majority.....

No one trusts the polls, but no one either thinks Corbyn could ever be PM
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The thing I don’t get is why Raab should be uniquely in trouble in Esher and Walton. Yes there might be some personal factors, yes there might be a reasonable vote to squeeze if all opponents get behind the right candidate. But still... if he’s in trouble surely there must be some other seats flying completely under the radar which should be at risk?

One can only hope
  • Options

I’m heading to vote in 45 minutes or so. The red suit may deter any coded information about voting speed being given. But I shall do my best to get that vital information.

Are you still wearing the green jumper?

Why am I asking someone I only know online what they are wearing?
    No, I couldn’t risk strangers hanging tinsel and baubles on me.
  • Options
    One thing that sometimes people forget is that some polling stations cover a few hundred people (or less) and others a few thousand.

Some polling stations look busy just because there are lots of people registered there. Others could have 100% turnout but still just one voter every ten minutes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited December 2019
    Labour reportedly starting to pull activists out of Chingford and Woodford Green and send them to Barnet
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    alex_ said:

A lot of effort has been put in by oppo parties. Could be at the expense of several seats elsewhere. If they lose badly they are hoping to have a least 1 thing to cheer about (IDS could be 2)
  • Options
    tyson said:

alex_ said:

One can only hope
    Surprise LD gains in the South as I said a few days ago.

Imagine somehow the LDs do an SNP 2015 and win 20-30 seats.
  • Options
    I have an early result, from my son's year 6 class. Greens 5, Lib Dems 6, Brexit 0, Tories 0, Labour 20. Looks like Labour can expect a good result in about seven years...
  • Options
    Massive turnout here in Stockton South. Have just gone through the Thornaby polling stations data and it's off the chart for even a general election. Only comparable was the referendum
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Just voted in an affluent part of London. Modest business

Teller said voting had been quite brisk through the day but nothing special.

So not all of London is youthquaking
  • Options
    argyllrs said:

alex_ said:

A lot of effort has been put in by oppo parties. Could be at the expense of several seats elsewhere. If they lose badly they are hoping to have a least 1 thing to cheer about (IDS could be 2)
    Maybe it is because he is f...ing useless and an arrogant individual?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Massive turnout here in Stockton South. Have just gone through the Thornaby polling stations data and it's off the chart for even a general election. Only comparable was the referendum

What if the Leavers are coming out in droves, just to make sure we Brexit?

Then the youthquake means nothing
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

nichomar said:

Harry Cole says Tories confident in Kensington, but not in Esher...

Kensington Tory Gain thanks to Swinson standing a high profile Tory homophobe there as a LD

Shameful
    What did labour ever offer the lib dems to ensure Johnson couldnt win.... nothing so fuck off with your ridiculous views
    I tend to agree with that comment. Until we have PR, tactical voting is unavoidable. Labour though is always incredibly reluctant to come to arrangements with other parties. It clearly expects them to stand down, never the reverse. I think Labour is standing in for instance Abingdon, Cheltenham, Brighton Pavilion, St Albans, Guildford. Most of these are no-hope Labour seats.

But we only get a final say on a WA - which Lab says it wants - if Lab, LD, SNP, PC, SDLP, Green have >320 seats.
    Don’t be silly.
    They don’t even support the centrist candidates in their own party.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour reportedly starting to pull activists out of Chingford and Woodford Green and send them to Barnet

How you feeling about Chingford? TCTC?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Tories confident of making gains from Labour in the Midlands. They are reporting positive news for them against Ruth Smeeth in Stoke North and Valerie Vaz in Walsall South

But Dominic Raab is facing a massive fight in Esher. One Tory source puts it at 50-50

From Alex Wickham
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IDS is a goner or they’ve given up
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Has IDS held it
  • Options
    “Personally, for me, it’s very clear cut. Jeremy Corbyn is a man of hope, a man of justice, a man of equality. And the other guy is a f***ing Prick” - Stormzy
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,138

Why dont you just stop mKing pointless posts. You know feck all
    Thanks for your support I’ll keep posting
    Don't you be put off. Keep making your pointless posts.

It's a grand tradition on here.
  • Options

I have an early result, from my son's year 6 class. Greens 5, Lib Dems 6, Brexit 0, Tories 0, Labour 20. Looks like Labour can expect a good result in about seven years...

I think that always happens in school elections.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

If I’m watching England bat live my feet mustn’t touch the floor. Resting on a drinks bottle or something is ok but never the floor. Whenever I need a wee I fear for the total.

What happens if you simply must but Ben Stokes is closing in on both his century and the runs to win the 5th and final test of the Ashes with the series 2/2?

You don't HAVE to answer.
    That’s what the drinks bottle is for.....
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Westminster and Chelsea to stay Tory.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I think we know that Starmer is safe.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,109
    HYUFD said:

Given up on IDS or got it in the bag?
  • Options
    A reminder.
    This is what happened in 2017:

The swing was 0 at around the 62% Leave area.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Has IDS held it
    His dick?
  • Options
    Tories confident in seats with 9K majorities?
  • Options

“Personally, for me, it’s very clear cut. Jeremy Corbyn is a man of hope, a man of justice, a man of equality. And the other guy is a f***ing Prick” - Stormzy

Half right, Stormzy.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Key Brexit Party seat, originally. Profile of the voters ?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    tyson said:

Andy_JS said:

Quite bizarre Andy_JS
    Have you got some spreadsheet ready for tonight when you can make us all a shedload of cash
    Not really, except comparing the results to the YouGov MRP. If the first 20 or 30 results are in line with it, I think that means it's going to be correct overall.

FrancisUrquhart has an interesting spreadsheet this time.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882

Tories confident of making gains from Labour in the Midlands. They are reporting positive news for them against Ruth Smeeth in Stoke North and Valerie Vaz in Walsall South

But Dominic Raab is facing a massive fight in Esher. One Tory source puts it at 50-50

From Alex Wickham

Walsall South is 124 on the Tory target list, though a very heavy leave seat.
  • Options

Your candidate even asked people not to vote for him yesterday? Or have i got wrong Constituency?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,012

Prospects for rejoin winning the next referendum also look quite good.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

If I’m watching England bat live my feet mustn’t touch the floor. Resting on a drinks bottle or something is ok but never the floor. Whenever I need a wee I fear for the total.

What happens if you simply must but Ben Stokes is closing in on both his century and the runs to win the 5th and final test of the Ashes with the series 2/2?

You don't HAVE to answer.
    That’s what the drinks bottle is for.....
    Funnily enough, as I get older England are batting worse in Tests.....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The former I suspect
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    No one knows anything.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Or they’ve had so much help that there isn’t any point in calling round again
  • Options

HYUFD said:

At this point, all this frenetic activity is displacement rather than meaningful.
    Bit like most of our posts.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Brom said:

HYUFD said:

Tory vote coming out but will keep going until 9pm, some first time Tory voters, a few thumbs up and stop Corbyn won't you, Momentum out earlier but disorganised
  • Options
    You know the image coming out of both sides is remarkably mixed, doesn’t really scream landslide to me
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Brom said:

HYUFD said:

Tory vote coming out but will keep going until 9pm
    Slacker. Polls close at 10.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Artist said:

From Alex Wickham

Walsall South is 124 on the Tory target list, though a very heavy leave seat.
    It could be a question of whether a few losses in commuter Remainia are sufficient to offset some Northern gains.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Will rain have a differential effect on turnout? That may be crucial. I haven't got a feeling for that.

This has been researched, it doesn’t make a big difference . Although tends to have a slight effect on the C2DE demographic.

Certain demographics tend to vote more at certain times though .

The fact that most of the rain has cleared away by 7pm will be a relief for Labour .

• Options
    Got in at £100 on Conservative Majority at 1.61
    And at £50 on 2.48 on Conservatives 340 seats or more

Let's see how this plays out!
  • Options

From Alex Wickham

Walsall South not even in top 100 target seats.
  • Options

If it is the unabridged version, then yes. On the other hand I tend to only buy audiobooks of books I particularly like. I lose concentration listening to them (or use them to drop off to sleep) and it is much harder to go back to bits you missed than with the printed page.
    The person who invents the device that registers when you drop off to sleep while listening to one of those will make a few Bob.
    If any of you now do, please sort me out for a % for thinking of it. Ta!
  • Options
    I can report that the pubs and bars in London are heaving.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Spot on. Corbyn hopes to resolve the Jewish question, it's what they deserve, and they are all going to get the same treatment. He is right about Johnson, too.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,337
    Just torn up my ballot paper.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    HaroldO said:

No one knows anything.

Quite so. The left ramping on here is ludicrous.
  • Options
    I’ve been involved in elections since 1983 and have never ever know what was going on anywhere than in the patch that my committee room covered and that was open to interpretation. I doubt if anyone really knows what’s happening and all these stories are complete and utter bollocks. They help pass the time away but get real nobody really knows
  • Options
    Byronic said:

What if the Leavers are coming out in droves, just to make sure we Brexit?

Then the youthquake means nothing
    It's certainly possible. And Labour got a thumping in May - I know, I stood in a comfortably held seat and got demolished. So would be a rapid turnaround to have Labour winning it. However, the leave vote is concentrated in certain areas. This is across the town...

Have also heard from reliable friend in Mirfield (Dewsbury). Turnout there also very high according to staff.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

I can report that the pubs and bars in London are heaving.

Hanging with the plebs? ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    BBC Radio 6 doing it's bit
    Now playing A live version of Billy Bragg's New England...

Come on....fuck the Tories.....
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

HYUFD said:

Took the words right out of my mouth.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Do you mind telling me what value you think these posts add?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Why dont you just stop mKing pointless posts. You know feck all
    Thanks for your support I’ll keep posting
    Don't you be put off. Keep making your pointless posts.

It's a grand tradition on here.
    That's unnecessarily rude. And how is CHB's post any different from the one about IDS?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    As the day goes on, some of these tighter northern reports seem to be coming in, after the huge London and University turnout reports. May still all be incredibly hard to call.

Still nothing about any tight races in Wales that I've heard, though - anyone got anything there ?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

HYUFD said:

Tory vote coming out but will keep going until 9pm
    Slacker. Polls close at 10.
    I have to get back for a meal and prep for EF count
This discussion has been closed.