Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2019 polling race: The pollsters ranked by the CON lead

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2019 polling race: The pollsters ranked by the CON lead % in their final surveys

!function(){"use strict";window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if(void 0!==a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var e in a.data["datawrapper-height"]){var t=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-"+e)||document.querySelector("iframe[src*='"+e+"']");t&&(t.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][e]+"px")}})}();

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Cons drifting like a barge in the betting!

Could it be slipping away from "Boris"? Has the nation rumbled him?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    kinabalu said:

Based on what? Voting looks brisk? That's not much to base it on even if he has blown it.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    What was the average final polling in 2017?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    kinabalu said:

No, all those polls give a bigger Tory lead than 2017
  • Options
    The Britain Elects poll tracker projects Labour will be down ~11pts (vs. GE2017) in the North of England, compared to 8pts in London, 7pts in the East Midlands, and 5pts in the West Midlands.

Take a look: https://t.co/m1hoBpI81D https://t.co/xEmOOvngPj
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Not first, like Corbyn.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

They have been settled at about 1.48 for some time
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Gabs3 said:

~6.5%....but the variance was huge, from -2 <-> +13.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Gabs3 said:

~6.5%....but the variance was huge.
    Pollsters have learnt their lesson since 2017.... haven't they? :o
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,149
    edited December 2019
    12th like Corbyn
  • Options
    RobD said:

Gabs3 said:

Are you trying to set me off into blind panic?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

kinabalu said:

It’s profit taking.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited December 2019
    All things considered it's hard to believe that Lab 11% down in the North isn't true. You've got a more favourable Tory leader in Boris, crap weather, a BXP offering more threat than UKIP and 2 extra years of anti Britain pro 2nd ref Corbyn since 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if they are down more in the North and down less in London.
  • Options

RobD said:

Gabs3 said:

Are you trying to set me off into blind panic?
    I think they've moved in the wrong direction. Lab +10 nailed on.
  • Options
    Brom said:

All things considered it's hard to believe than Lab 11% down in the North isn't true. You've got a more favourable Tory leader in Boris, crap weather, a BXP offering more threat than UKIP and 2 extra years of anti Britain pro 2nd ref Corbyn since 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if they are down more in the North and down less in London.

That's my conclusion. When you pair it with the Tories seemingly receding slightly in the leafy rural areas with massive majorities, it looks to be promising for vote efficiency.
  • Options

Big change from the recent lows though. And a fair bit longer than after the 28 seat YouGov got processed.

I wonder if Remainers are turning out in big numbers and voting super smart?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited December 2019
    Brom said:

All things considered it's hard to believe than Lab 11% down in the North isn't true. You've got a more favourable Tory leader in Boris, crap weather, a BXP offering more threat than UKIP and 2 extra years of anti Britain pro 2nd ref Corbyn since 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if they are down more in the North and down less in London.

Yes Labour flooding Barnet apparently as well as here in Chingford and looking to pick up London seats to make up for northern losses. Hearing Raab under threat in Esher where apparently it looks very close at the moment but hopefully he clings on
  • Options
    I think the disquiet by some conservatives on here is the evidence of a big youth turnout in London and virtually nothing from anywhere else

At this stage nobody knows nor how much this bad weather will have affected voting outside London
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Big change from the recent lows though. And a fair bit longer than after the 28 seat YouGov got processed.

Or a bit like Brexit, those with the big money in the market exist in a small bubble and seeing big queues in their local area.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Based on what? Voting looks brisk? That's not much to base it on even if he has blown it.

I really don't know. Has anybody heard anything reliable and fascinating?

Certainly Con maj should be MUCH shorter than the 1.5 mark based on the evidence that I'm aware of.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Certainly Con maj should be MUCH shorter than the 1.5 mark based on the evidence that I'm aware of.
    Everyone is spooked by 2017.
  • Options
    I’m absolutely bricking it today. Very hard to concentrate at work.

Polling station I went to was busy, a slightly older man (probably mid to late 50’s) being helped in by his nurse, a couple leaving and another couple turning up.

Won’t make any difference as Laurence Robertson will still be elected.

Also, I saw somebody pointed out that it’s exactly 12 months since T.May Won her VONC meaning she was safe from being ousted for a full 12 months.🤔
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Definitely...aren't we all....Most elections when the average poll lead is large i.e. 10%, normally the only talk is just how big the majority will be.
  • Options
    @FrancisUrquhart - are the charts on your page live, and not placeholders?

*innocent face*
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

In London and the south but unlikely to help in the north

I think it is quite difficult to say with any confidence between a hung parliament or a majority to be honest
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I know. So why the bearish tint in the betting? Is it punters fighting the last war?

You know, like you tend to do with all your "John Kerry in a skirt" monkey business?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

...and whether punters would have any way of knowing that that was happening.

If I were a worried rich person or a hedge fund manager I would be lumping hugely on NOM or laying con maj for reasons you can deduce from the phrase "hedge fund", irrespective of my expectations of the outcome. I wonder if that is what is happening.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Definitely...aren't we all....Most elections when the average poll lead is large i.e. 10%, normally the only talk is just how big the majority will be.
    I am spooked by the turnout queues today.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

No one can know. At this moment we could have 70% voting Labour or 70% voting Tory and no one would have a clue. We just have to wait until 10pm. These market movements ae not driven by any inside knowledge.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

If they are, how would anyone know and so why would it affect how people bet?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Turnout market on betfair doesn't seem to have changed too much. 60-70 still 1.6, 70-80 2.9ish
  • Options
    RobD said:

@FrancisUrquhart - are the charts on your page live, and not placeholders?

*innocent face*

LOL
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    kinabalu said:

I'm amazed that you've already got an accurate gauge of turnout and VI
  • Options
    The available evidence suggests a Conservative majority. The quality of that evidence, however, is not high and it might be misleading.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    Chameleon said:

Brom said:

That's my conclusion. When you pair it with the Tories seemingly receding slightly in the leafy rural areas with massive majorities, it looks to be promising for vote efficiency.
    That's very much my view. I think the Conservatives will slip back slightly in the South where the LDs are way behind (most of the time), but will see their vote hold up (or even increase slightly in the North). I also think BXP will mostly taken Northern Labour Leave voters who can't stomach voting for Johnson, but don't want to vote for Corbyn.

Result: Conservative majority of around 100.
  • Options

The available evidence suggests a Conservative majority. The quality of that evidence, however, is not high and it might be misleading.

I like how your new avatar focuses in on the best part of the photo. ;)
  • Options
    Hasn't everybody got the Exit Poll? I got my emailed to me this morning, a bit like the way Jezza gets the Queen speech.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Turnout market on betfair doesn't seem to have changed too much. 60-70 still 1.6, 70-80 2.9ish

With this weather 65% may be likely
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Im pretty sure some of it is nervousness re 2017 and reports of high youth turnout (notwithstanding the fact that the only photo evidence we have for this is from London and Central Manchester seats (I think).

Personally I don’t think anyone has an effing clue what’s going on at this stage in an election. You hear the odd rumour but it’s impossible to corroborate. Heck, look at how the betting odds tend to wiggle all over the place at a by-election before crashing home shortly before the result.
  • Options

Hasn't everybody got the Exit Poll? I got my emailed to me this morning, a bit like the way Jezza gets the Queen speech.

PB Elite members (platinum tier and above) got theirs yesterday.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    Just got in after GOTV for Lib Dems in Colne Valley. We also have a local by-election in Colne Valley ward. Started in steady drizzle which got heavier and heavier. Many voters will have soggy leaflets. Lib Dems telling but no others. Indeed Labour put in a complaint that the Lib Dems were asking voters for their poll cards. Lots of Labour activity on the streets but no sign of Conservative activity ( probably on the phones). Turnout at noon was about twice the usual.
  • Options
    Ironically, the hype about the Red Firewall might harm Boris. If potential northern Tory converts think that millions of their number are going to vote Tory they might just not bother, saving themselves the ethical problem of engaging in class betrayal. The whole concept might turn out to be a damp squib.
  • Options

In London and the south but unlikely to help in the north

I think it is quite difficult to say with any confidence between a hung parliament or a majority to be honest

No indeed. I have my betting position which pays a packet on big Con win. And I have my political sensibility which takes a battering on same. So I'm incredibly nervous both ways. Cat on a hot tin roof. Want a drink but mustn't. Need to stay very calm. Perhaps some buddhism is in order. Yes, definitely.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    I think that the ghosts of 2017 are influencing everyone too much. The pollsters aren't wrong. The Conservative vote efficiency will be up.

To me, the really interesting questions are:

1. Will Jo Swinson hold her seat? It will be a big win for the LDs if the SNP's gain East Dumbartonshire.
    2. Will my bet on the Greens vs BXP come in? I've got a small bet on the Green Meanies.
    3. Will any of the likely Labour leadership challengers lose their seats?
  • Options

Ironically, the hype about the Red Firewall might harm Boris. If potential northern Tory converts think that millions of their number are going to vote Tory they might just not bother, saving themselves the ethical problem of engaging in class betrayal. The whole concept might turn out to be a damp squib.

But they don't.. the story has been about Labour closing the gap for weeks now ;)
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

The Red Guardian's trousers and the Green Lantern's jumper!

Also, does he have something in his pocket, or is he just pleased to see himself?!
  • Options

RobD said:

The Red Guardian's trousers and the Green Lanterns jumper!

Also, does he have something in his pocket, or is he just pleased to see himself?!
    I wasn't talking about the jumper. :p

*ahem* :D
  • Options

Tories will be 😁
    Labour will be 😠
    PB will be 🤓
  • Options
    Anecdote alert (NW currently blue bellwether swing constituency)

I wrote earlier today that I only received blue leaflets and that there was a blue Teller at my polling station this morning and that I'd seen no evidence of the reds this campaign, however I'd also only just moved into the constituency and had to register to vote after the start of the campaign.

Thought I'd update to say just before I drove past a couple of people going from door to door with red clipboards, red rosettes and "Vote Labour" written on the back of the clipboard. So there is red activity afterall.

Also drove past a polling station in the neighbouring constituency [rock solid safe red] which had no signs of activity but a Police car parked outside the station. Hope nothing has gone wrong to justify the Police being at the polling station, never seen that before.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Those of us who are the real elite wrote it.
  • Options
    Do we have odds on what dukedom Curtice will be offered if he gets it right this time?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    RobD said:

Do we have odds on what dukedom Curtice will be offered if he gets it right this time?

He'll just get given Scotland to sort out......
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

If I've learn't anything it is: nothing hurts Johnson but the potential of seeing one of his long lost children.
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155

I wrote earlier today that I only received blue leaflets and that there was a blue Teller at my polling station this morning and that I'd seen no evidence of the reds this campaign, however I'd also only just moved into the constituency and had to register to vote after the start of the campaign.

Thought I'd update to say just before I drove past a couple of people going from door to door with red clipboards, red rosettes and "Vote Labour" written on the back of the clipboard. So there is red activity afterall.

Also drove past a polling station in the neighbouring constituency [rock solid safe red] which had no signs of activity but a Police car parked outside the station. Hope nothing has gone wrong to justify the Police being at the polling station, never seen that before.

First time I voted, their was a policeman in full riot gear next to the voting booths. Must have been whichever election it was for us May 1991.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Maybe the Police were voting?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Tories will be 😁
    Labour will be 😠
    PB will be 🤓
    Lib Dems will be 😭
    SNP will be 😍
    Twitter will be 🔔🔚
  • Options
    #GE2019 Nowcast (12th Dec):

CON: 344 (-1), 43.3% (+0.4)
    LAB: 223 (-1), 33.8% (+1.1)
    SNP: 45 (+2), 3.7% (-0.2)
    LDM: 14 (=), 11.7% (-1.3)

See the graphics for full results.
    Changes w/ 6th Dec.

Polls from 9-11 Dec.
    Support me on https://t.co/8SlnLyh9g4 https://t.co/jNVQHYMAUU
  • Options

Or a bit like Brexit, those with the big money in the market exist in a small bubble and seeing big queues in their local area.

I think big turnout. But it's the differential turnout that matters, isn't it? Who is most energized? Remainers and anti-Tories to stop Boris, or Labour WWC Leavers to Get Brexit Done?

Remainers do seem up for it. I sense this very strongly. But perhaps the other lot are too.
  • Options

RobD said:

Wrote it down.

Diamond tier dictated it.

Diamond tier are a right bunch of dictators.....
  • Options

I hope that's it. No blue lights or other activity which seems to be a good sign.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited December 2019
    Gabs3 said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

I am spooked by the turnout queues today.
    Perhaps I would have been spooked in 2017, but the seats with high numbers of graduates are almost all red now. Young non graduates will have lower turnout and break more towards the Tories. The lack of news from these Lab battlegrounds is frustrating to say the least, I’m guessing there is no overall sign of Lab holding up or Tories surging so much with the MRP we are likely to have a random smattering of Con gains amongst their top 80 target seats, more like hacking bits out of the red wall rather than smashing it down. 20-25 gains should guarantee a majority.
  • Options
    Don't forget the Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral LeaderBoard Of the Week)!

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/1205146378135101440
  • Options
    RobD said:

That does seem the most likely explanation. In which case, 1.48 Con maj is a standout bet.

I thought it would be 1.2 on the day.
  • Options

RobD said:

Wrote it down.

I thought they were lizards?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

Hang on, I sucked up to - I mean I legitimately honoured - the PB Holy Trinity and I didn't get mine! This is an outrage!
  • Options

Or maybe the Fascists were stuffing the ballot boxes with Fascists votes. Thought about that, have you? Hmmmm.

#That'sEnoughNowRik
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2019
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

That does seem the most likely explanation. In which case, 1.48 Con maj is a standout bet.

Absolutely. Has there ever been an election before where the polls averaged a 10% lead and you could get 1.48 for a majority? Staggering, but I think nobody is taking anything for granted yet.
  • Options

RobD said:

Wrote it down.

I thought they were lizards?
    There's any conflict?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

I hear turnout has slowed considerably in 649 seats now darkness has fallen, but shot up in Mole Valley where very few voters ventured outside until now.

Bravo!
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

The Britain Elects poll tracker projects Labour will be down ~11pts (vs. GE2017) in the North of England, compared to 8pts in London, 7pts in the East Midlands, and 5pts in the West Midlands.

Take a look: https://t.co/m1hoBpI81D https://t.co/xEmOOvngPj

8 pts down in London surprises me. I expected them to be hit harder in the Midlands than London. If it is accurate it presages interesting times in seats like the 3 way marginals of Kensington and Cities.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

...and whether punters would have any way of knowing that that was happening.

If I were a worried rich person or a hedge fund manager I would be lumping hugely on NOM or laying con maj for reasons you can deduce from the phrase "hedge fund", irrespective of my expectations of the outcome. I wonder if that is what is happening.

Yes. Rich people tend to lay the Cons to hedge. Which means, ceteris minibus, that the value for the objective punter often lies in backing them.

But not last time of course.
  • Options
    Britain Elects

Contrary to Twitter reports, there have been NO published constituency polls for Uxbridge South & Ruislip.

Find the latest constituency voting intention surveys here:

https://t.co/xTe4Cz8DZc https://t.co/DGgGsd5vxP
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    What’s up with the pound . Do currency speculators know something we don’t .
  • Options

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Absolutely. Has there ever been an election before where the polls averaged a 10% lead and you could get 1.48 for a majority? Staggering, but I think nobody is taking anything for granted yet.
    The ghost of 2017 is definitely in the air. On those polls I ought to want to put silly money on it. But I’m scared.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Nobody knows. Seriously.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    slade said:

Just got in after GOTV for Lib Dems in Colne Valley. We also have a local by-election in Colne Valley ward. Started in steady drizzle which got heavier and heavier. Many voters will have soggy leaflets. Lib Dems telling but no others. Indeed Labour put in a complaint that the Lib Dems were asking voters for their poll cards. Lots of Labour activity on the streets but no sign of Conservative activity ( probably on the phones). Turnout at noon was about twice the usual.

Labour were leafletting Huddersfield station yesterday with non constituency specific flyers, but I presumed the main target to be the bits of town sitting in Colne Valley.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Was going down for a while, now going back up again.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    nico67 said:

Just uncertainty before the result. Tory Maj should boost it, obviously a Hung parliament and it is taking a bath.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Everyone being cautious
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    rcs1000 said:

1. Will Jo Swinson hold her seat? It will be a big win for the LDs if the SNP's gain East Dumbartonshire.

Because then the Lib Dems will get a better leader, you mean?
  • Options

The red firewall does not take much effort it remain in place.
  • Options

No one can know. At this moment we could have 70% voting Labour or 70% voting Tory and no one would have a clue. We just have to wait until 10pm. These market movements ae not driven by any inside knowledge.

No. Although I've heard nasty stories from no less a source than the BBC that the postals are especially good for the Tories. Wonder what happens if they lose the proper vote but win just purely because of people doing it early by mail? Do we get to know the split even?

How are you calling it btw?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

The police pretty much always pop in on our local polling station whenever there's an election. Nothing sinister, just part of the "beat".
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    I've obviously pinched these figures from someone else's tweet but, if the polls are wrong by the same amount and in the same direction as in 2017, we're looking at Con maj ~10.

If the polls are wrong by the same amount and in the same direction as in 2015, we're looking at Con maj ~110.

Blimey
  • Options

#GE2019 Nowcast (12th Dec):

CON: 344 (-1), 43.3% (+0.4)
    LAB: 223 (-1), 33.8% (+1.1)
    SNP: 45 (+2), 3.7% (-0.2)
    LDM: 14 (=), 11.7% (-1.3)

See the graphics for full results.
    Changes w/ 6th Dec.

Polls from 9-11 Dec.
    Support me on https://t.co/8SlnLyh9g4 https://t.co/jNVQHYMAUU

BANK!

If that were only possible. i'd take that.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

The ghost of 2017 is definitely in the air. On those polls I ought to want to put silly money on it. But I’m scared.
    It looks huge now. It's going to look enormous in retrospect. And it pays on a majority of 1. But as you say it's scary.
  • Options
    Well it's now dark and wet here. I expect that voting will now not be so brisk.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Because then the Lib Dems will get a better leader, you mean?
    What do you mean, she’s going to be Prime Minister Jo Swinson in a matter of hours!
  • Options
    nico67 said:

They're aiming for an all-green position rather than backing a hunch.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Quincel said:

I hear turnout has slowed considerably in 649 seats now darkness has fallen, but shot up in Mole Valley where very few voters ventured outside until now.

Just shot up in Batcombe and Badgerside. Brisk too in Owlsdun.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    nico67 said:

Most currency trading is automated these days so less driven by rumours than the natural volatility around an election. Of course, if Boris does look as if he cannot command a majority there will be a lot of ass covering (selling) over and above the automated trades.
  • Options

If they are, how would anyone know and so why would it affect how people bet?

Well you can get a sense from the traffic at the polling stations, I guess. If, say, it's a stampede in London but a trickle up in South Yorkshire, that would just possibly be saying something.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    nico67 said:

They NEVER know anything we don't. They are the biggest herd of the lot.

Anyone who spent EU Ref day on here will know how spectacularly wrong they got it. Even Andrew Cooper, Cameron's private pollster, had Remain 10% ahead. That day the pound surged.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

No. Although I've heard nasty stories from no less a source than the BBC that the postals are especially good for the Tories. Wonder what happens if they lose the proper vote but win just purely because of people doing it early by mail? Do we get to know the split even?

How are you calling it btw?
    Excuse me, and with respect what on earth is this proper vote. A postal vote for us oldies is a proper vote, and for many others who cannot get to the polls who may be disabled

Sorry but that is not really acceptable
  • Options
    Everybody got their party poppers ready for the exit poll?

BONG...................

"Our exit poll is predicting that Boris Johnson will remain the Prime Minister with a majority of....that can't be right? Have you checked it? Really....? Fuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkk......."
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    It’s strange as a Labour supporter I’ve already accepted a Tory majority and so aren’t stressed at all ! It seems the Tory supporters in here seem convinced that it might be a 2017 repeat .
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I know. So why the bearish tint in the betting? Is it punters fighting the last war?

You know, like you tend to do with all your "John Kerry in a skirt" monkey business?
    That's exactly what it is, just like SCons in 2015, and Con/LDs in 2015. Punters struggle to believe the polls in general elections. And that's what makes this site their money.
This discussion has been closed.