Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2019 polling race: The pollsters ranked by the CON lead

Comments

• Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

Labour sources Cardiff Central : saying majority likely to match 2017.

Take what you will from that.

how on earth can they know that without doing their own exit poll?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Just had a resent text from 5.27pm saying JC office are calling it as a Con majority.
  • Options

Never change PB

I am sure PB Tories will have an opportunity to switch from blind panic back to smug triumphalism in a few hours. I always imagine that PB Tories think of themselves as heirs to their imperial forebears, maintaining their stiff upper lips while the lesser races are consumed by their emotions, calmly putting down a Pashtun uprising or relieving Mafeking. On present form they are more Corporal Jones than General Gordon. Show some backbone, PB Tories. Playing fields of Eton! Your man has this!
  • Options
    Betfair recent moves might simply be due to punters getting out of work at 5pm.
  • Options
    RE the markets: fear of Corbyn is offset by hope of revoke.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Its pretty important for Labour to have this rain clearing.

Historically their supporters tend to come out in bigger numbers from around 7 to 10 pm . It’s this period last time according to those on the 2017 exit poll where Mays majority started slipping away .

I remember Michael Thrasher saying this when he was talking about the changes they saw during the day .

I live opposite a polling station & it was incredibly busy this morning despite the wind & rain,now down to a trickle of people...
    Yes but often especially in the cities people will pop into the polling booth either on their way to work or on their way home.

I still think the Tories will get a comfortable majority , following betting patterns is leading to some Tory supporters in here from almost reaching for the Prozac !
    Never been this nervous about politics before. Think this one is huge. I'm going for a lie down in a darkened room.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,311
    edited December 2019

Why would they say that unless they wanted to mobilize the Conservative vote?

Cardiff North would be of more interest. A sea of orange from Whitchurch, through Rhiwbina to Llanishen and Cyncoed. And the LD candidate has backed voting Labour!
  • Options

Labour doing better than expected in Wales?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    Panic over on Betfair for now.

Back into 1.57

Looks spot on to me.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    All political punters should be forced to look at charts showing the Betfair movements and the full PB.com threads for the previous election before betting on the next one. We do this every time, crazy rumours and whispers of differential turnout and it is accurate no more than chance. In 2016 the rumours pushed Leave from 4/1 to 10/1 during polling day!
  • Options
    Brom said:

Just had a resent text from 5.27pm saying JC office are calling it as a Con majority.

Yet another move to scare out the lazy vote.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited December 2019

Panic over on Betfair for now.

Back into 1.57

Looks spot on to me.

But thank you to whoever was funding the 1.65. I think/hope.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sterling unphased.

Is that like unfazed?
  • Options
    If I’m wrong I’m going to apologise.

If I’m right, I’m going to get very drunk
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,138

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Historically their supporters tend to come out in bigger numbers from around 7 to 10 pm . It’s this period last time according to those on the 2017 exit poll where Mays majority started slipping away .

I remember Michael Thrasher saying this when he was talking about the changes they saw during the day .

I live opposite a polling station & it was incredibly busy this morning despite the wind & rain,now down to a trickle of people...
    Yes but often especially in the cities people will pop into the polling booth either on their way to work or on their way home.

I still think the Tories will get a comfortable majority , following betting patterns is leading to some Tory supporters in here from almost reaching for the Prozac !
    Never been this nervous about politics before. Think this one is huge. I'm going for a lie down in a darkened room.
    Don't do that! Who knows what might happen if you stop watching the screen?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,932
    egg said:

now 1.58. OK folks, you tell me what's going on because I am buggered if I know.

Two possibilities.

1) Someone has some very credible information suggesting that the Conservatives are underperforming.

2) No one knows anything and there's something of a blind stampede.

Given the nature of general elections, 2 seems more likely than 1. But what do I know?
    What about other polling similar to exit poll style on behalf of other media leaking out?
    It would be worthless.

Exit polling is quite different to standard opinion polling. It's only as accurate as it is because John Curtice & Co. have had six successive elections to compare turnouts and voting intentions across the same polling stations.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    There is no chance of any leak from the exit poll itself , unless some people doing the data collection on the ground outside polling stations are leaking then this betting drama looks plain silly .
  • Options
    Jason said:

I think a hung parliament is becoming more likely and my reason for saying it are as follows

Large youth turnout in London and possibility of IDS and Raab losing

HYUFD was far from confident today

Little if any information from the red wall and beyond which you would expect if big gains

Poor weather across most of the country and early dark evenings

Rumours of smaller postal votes being received

The pound and betting markets falling confidence

Is this the David Herdson moment of 2017

It will make a complete mockery of the polls.

But I think we are now facing PM Corbyn.
    Steady on fella. We've gone from a Tory landslide to Corbyn PM in the space of 12 hours.
    Ah, the PB polling day panic. I do love traditions at this time of year.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

RobD said:

Sterling unphased.

Is that like unfazed?
    oops, me and my crap spelling. ;)
  • Options
    Brom said:

I am arent you?

Werent you on Tory Maj at some really short odds?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,898

Labour doing better than expected in Wales?
    Could be the equalisation of Labour doing worse in Wales vs Labour doing better in cities.

Or it could be the aliens which were conducting thought probes last night.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,911
    Thsi makes it sound as if it is unfair that the tories will only get an overall majority if their lead is 6 points, but if they do get an overall majority it will still be with well under 50% of the vote share.
  • Options
    Chris said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Don't do that! Who knows what might happen if you stop watching the screen?
    If I’m watching England bat live my feet mustn’t touch the floor. Resting on a drinks bottle or something is ok but never the floor. Whenever I need a wee I fear for the total.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Brom said:

Well if it is that's a pretty risky strategy. You might just say why bother voting then if it's a foregone conclusion.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,322

I think a hung parliament is becoming more likely and my reason for saying it are as follows

Little if any information from the red wall and beyond which you would expect if big gains

What was the final Herdson call? I missed it.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

If its a hung parliament then something has to give in next few months

We will be doing it again in February.

If it is a HP there isn't a viable coalition as far as I can see.

Don't know what that means for the extension.
    What extension? If GE in Feb, we will have Brexited already on a "No Deal" basis unless parliament passes Tories` WA.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999
    nico67 said:

There is no chance of any leak from the exit poll itself , unless some people doing the data collection on the ground outside polling stations are leaking then this betting drama looks plain silly .

As someone who routinely overreacts to things, I endorse the message that this reaction does not make sense.
  • Options

Never change PB

I am sure PB Tories will have an opportunity to switch from blind panic back to smug triumphalism in a few hours. I always imagine that PB Tories think of themselves as heirs to their imperial forebears, maintaining their stiff upper lips while the lesser races are consumed by their emotions, calmly putting down a Pashtun uprising or relieving Mafeking. On present form they are more Corporal Jones than General Gordon. Show some backbone, PB Tories. Playing fields of Eton! Your man has this!
    Quite right. We need to display the spirit of Brigadier John Nicholson, at the Siege of Delhi.
  • Options
    Like you’d know what JC office are saying. In 2017, people were calling it as a Tory majority until the exit poll came in.
  • Options
    RobD said:

You've suddenly become less credulous? ;)

Never change PB

PB Tories panicking is one of the two default modes.
  • Options
    wills66 said:

I reckon the market started moving after CCHQ sent out their "Labour turnout is High, have you voted" email as part of their GOTV operation (timed 16:34).

Somebody, somewhere thinks that this is a real emergency email instead of a standard pre-programmed one, the later being what I have assumed it is.

No idea which is right or which is wrong.

WillS.

Doesn't that email get sent out a every GE.
  • Options

Brom said:

Well I thought that, but it's from the wife of someone at Labour HQ so it's worth something rather than nothing IMO.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Down to 1.55, I lacked the balls to go bigger at 1.66 ten minutes ago - I only bet £25. Should have put a zero on end of that.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,898

Chameleon said:

melcf said:

This would be my last post on Corbyn. I know he has been vilified and ostracised, so anyone supporting him would suffer the same fate. The main reason is because HE HAS BACKED THE UNDERDOG throughout his life.
    The underdogs, include people like me, who are marginalised and not considered part of the mainstream. Despite working and contributing into the system. Also the voiceless and the weak, who can't defend themselves. Hence he keeps polling 35-40%, despite the avalanche of bad publicity, courtesy of the right wing press.
    He could have taken the easy route and become extremely popular with the masses. By playing to the gallery, just like Bojo. Which is being is being anti immigration and Islamphobic. Instead, throughout his life he chose to swim against the tide. In the process making very powerful enemies and pissing off significant sections of the population.
    Despite all this, he still gives hope to millions across the country and has their vote. Whether he will be around in 24 hours or not is hard to say. However, the very fact that the nasty Tories have agreed to end austerity and hire more Police Officers, Nurses and build more hospitals will be his legacy. To shift focus from bs Brexit, to the real issues that matter in the long run.

The issue with blindly backing 'the underdog' (I'd argue that it's more backing whoever opposes your country) is that you end up laying wreaths on the graves of members of a terrorist organisation that massacred Israeli athletes, or invite terrorists to Parliament weeks after they tried to assassinate the PM, and successfully assassinated an MP.
    Your comment is why Tory Maj is not nailed on

People are worrying about the NHS, school funding, making ends meet.

Tory lies about Corbyn not so much when they see the Racist in the other party

Nothing I said is a lie, Corbyn's default position is to back the UK's enemies.

I don't like the Tories much, but reluctantly had to become a first time Con voter, because they'll screw up the country the least over the next 5 years.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Brom said:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1205165468044185605

This sounds a bit defeatist. Not sure Owen Jones knows much more than the rest of us though.

He a journalist isn’t he? I imagine he has special sources.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Never change PB

Quite right. We need to display the spirit of Brigadier John Nicholson, at the Siege of Delhi.
    Or Sir Sydney Rough-Diamond in Carry on up the Khyber.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Don't you have to be 18 or over to purchase alcohol?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Never change PB

So long as it isn't like Reginald Dyer at Jallianwala Bagh.
  • Options

RobD said:

Never change PB

The other one is sneering, right?
  • Options

RobD said:

Never change PB

When the panic subsides the hubristic victory lap will begin.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Well I thought that, but it's from the wife of someone at Labour HQ so it's worth something rather than nothing IMO.
    Sounds a bit like nonsense?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RCS is usually pretty accurate.
  • Options
    Free money alert:

Battersea LAB hold 1.25 on Betfair Sportsbook can be laid at 1.2 on the Exchange.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Something tells me that the younger voters may be feeling more bothered to brave the rain than the still pro-Brexit, but older voters.

On the other hand, I still think the postal votes could still be just cancelling that out.

Moving my forecast to the lower end of 0-30, to 0-15, but as ever still too early to say.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Don't you have to be 18 or over to purchase alcohol?
    No my Daddy gets it for me
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,225
    Well, my guess FWIW is that it will be a result similar to 2017 - a Hung Parliament rather than a stonking majority.

But, hey, what do I know.

Raining very heavily here. No time to discover that there is a leak in the conservatory roof ....... :(
  • Options

Like you’d know what JC office are saying. In 2017, people were calling it as a Tory majority until the exit poll came in.

And Ed Miliband thought he had won right up until the exit poll.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

That gives it more credibility to bring out their supporters.
  • Options
    Still surprised we’ve heard little from the north
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

That seems pretty reasonable.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368

Cyclefree said:

Well, my guess FWIW is that it will be a result similar to 2017 - a Hung Parliament rather than a stonking majority.

Raining very heavily here. No time to discover that there is a leak in the conservatory roof ....... :(

My opinion is that there are a lot of opinions on here and each one is worth about as much as the next.. and that's about zero
  • Options

Fair point
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Thsi makes it sound as if it is unfair that the tories will only get an overall majority if their lead is 6 points, but if they do get an overall majority it will still be with well under 50% of the vote share.
    It depends on vote share. For example, a lead of 47% to 41% would probably deliver a comfortable Conservative majority. A result like Con 37% to Lab 31% would almost certainly result in a hung Parliament.

Com Res think that their poll of Con 41 to Lab 36, would give the Conservatives a majority of 6.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019

Very noticeable. That's why I think 0-10/15 is currently a better bet than 0 to 30.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

He’s also in the USA.

Not that that means he is wrong.
  • Options

Seen his call. It's the same as mine.

But I missed the one from David Herdson.
  • Options

Brom said:

Brom said:

That gives it more credibility to bring out their supporters.
    Yes but it was a personal message to a friend rather than a call to arms.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

She is not the Sherlock Holmes she thinks she is if she has only just deduced a Tory majority.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,911
    nico67 said:

If people are reacting to what individual data collectors are saying about individual polling stations, then that is hardly an indication to what is happening on a national scale.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    kinabalu said:

what you calling kinabalu>?
  • Options
    He's hinting the polls are wrong. He must know something. What has he heard?
  • Options

Boris Johnson has just personally told me this

‘our teams on the ground are reporting a high Labour turnout. So have you voted yet? Have your friends and family?’

I got the same email. Must admit, I’m looking forward to the Cabinet getting back to running the country instead of writing emails to me twice a day.

At least the begging letters have stopped - after I wrote into HQ telling them to bugger off with their e-mails, as some of us were working bloody hard in the field to get our candidates elected.
    I assume a lot of people did, which was why one of them was followed up by an apology and acknowledgement that people were helping already.
  • Options
    I know polls have said for weeks Tories are around 40 but what if they drop below 40 and Labour stay around 32-36. That could happen entirely due to turnout.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    kinabalu said:

It was to say sorry for his previous night's post that he thought the Cons had lost their majority
  • Options
    Chris said:

:D
  • Options
    nico67 said:

There were rumours that in the EU ref some hedge funds were going to commission their own polling on the day . Not sure if this happened .

And even if they could do that with the GE wouldn’t they get into serious trouble if they used that to play the markets .

Why should they get into trouble for it?
  • Options
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    kinabalu said:

1.6 now! What the devil is going on?

If the Cons were a horse with this happening day of race I would not be touching them with a barge pole.

Why do you take a barge pole to the races? Is it your lucky barge pole?
    I had ten quid on Chummys Favourite, and tipped him live on air. And I was on snow night.
  • Options

wills66 said:

I reckon the market started moving after CCHQ sent out their "Labour turnout is High, have you voted" email as part of their GOTV operation (timed 16:34).

Somebody, somewhere thinks that this is a real emergency email instead of a standard pre-programmed one, the later being what I have assumed it is.

WillS.

Yep but it only takes one inexperienced person to misunderstand it and they start to move the market. Everyone else follows, not knowing what the original trigger was and thinking someone must know something.

The golden mantra should be No One Knows Anything (Except 3 people in a locked room) ... until about 15 seconds past 10 PM.
  • Options

Something tells me that the younger voters may be feeling more bothered to brave the rain than the still pro-Brexit, but older voters.

On the other hand, I still think the postal votes could still be just cancelling that out.

Moving my forecast to the lower end of 0-30, to 0-15, but as ever still too early to say.

A lot of people thought high turnout in bad weather favoured Remain in 2016. It did not turn out that way.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Brom said:

Expectations management
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019

As I noticed.
    People usually like to report increases in turnout not decreases.

Beyond the M25 silence, unless you live an a heavy student area.

I translate it as: turnout higher where Corbyn is popular, lower where he is not.

That could be Labour voters or Conservative ones though.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

My opinion is that there are a lot of opinions on here and each one is worth about as much as the next.. and that's about zero
    Some unkind people might suggest some of the opinions are worth less than zero, but I wouldn't want to play that game lest there be demerit points for over posting.

Time for a power nap ahead of the count. Play nice everyone and congrats to PM Boris/Jeremy in advance.
  • Options

wills66 said:

WillS.

Yep but it only takes one inexperienced person to misunderstand it and they start to move the market. Everyone else follows, not knowing what the original trigger was and thinking someone must know something.

The golden mantra should be No One Knows Anything (Except 3 people in a locked room) ... until about 15 seconds past 10 PM.
    That’s what they want us to think. I don’t believe it. Sounds unlikely.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

He’s also in the USA.

Not that that means he is wrong.
    Wasn't the RCS call yesterday an 80 seat Con majority. With MOE and the MRF so close in many seats, that could also be a comfortable 100 plus plus, plus majority or a hung Parliament.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited December 2019
    Labour will be delighted to see the rain now clearing eastwards ready for the peak time for their more core demographics to come out .

The back edge of the rain is now into west London and should have cleared through most parts by 7 pm which gives them a dry slot all the way through to 10 pm .

It might though hang on in East Anglia but that’s hardly a bastion of Labour support so won’t make much difference.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

As I noticed.

I translate it as: turnout higher where Corbyn is popular, lower where he is not.
    We’ve heard little from the Tories too though. That to me suggests it’s very close.
  • Options
    US exit polls are of much worse quality than ours.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458
    What do you think the final value of the bet fair market will be?
    £18 million?
  • Options

speedy2 said:

As I noticed.

We’ve heard little from the Tories too though. That to me suggests it’s very close.
    Why does it mean that?
  • Options
    I think the phrase we use on here: president kerry thanks you for the confidence in the exit poll.
  • Options
    Harry Cole says Tories confident in Kensington, but not in Esher...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

People are talking about Davids 2017 call i think
  • Options
    Chris said:

https://twitter.com/RossPolitics/status/1205185909114707968
  • Options

If I’m watching England bat live my feet mustn’t touch the floor. Resting on a drinks bottle or something is ok but never the floor. Whenever I need a wee I fear for the total.

What happens if you simply must but Ben Stokes is closing in on both his century and the runs to win the 5th and final test of the Ashes with the series 2/2?

You don't HAVE to answer.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2019

I know polls have said for weeks Tories are around 40 but what if they drop below 40 and Labour stay around 32-36. That could happen entirely due to turnout.

Pretty unlikely imo - look at last election, May repeatedly shooting herself in the foot, and still got 42.4% (only marginally less than Blair got in his biggest landslide). That vote is solid imo.

Labour's hope is the squeeze on the LDs/Greens, coming out with around a 36-42, and with a bit of fortune wrt vote distribution could result in Cons on 310ish. Johnson is then stuck, possibly unable to pass the WA, looking a bit impotent and directionless, and a 2nd election might see things closer.
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    edited December 2019
    timmo said:

Brom said:

Expectations management
    Wouldn't be sent however bad the projection
  • Options

Chris said:

https://twitter.com/RossPolitics/status/1205185909114707968
    I thought Chris was being ironic.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

speedy2 said:

As I noticed.

The Tories if they've got any brain cells are going to say it's too close to call or nothing at all. They are not going to be swinging dicks until 9am tomorrow when the majority is concrete - or not, as the case may be.

They may have confiscated personal phones at CCHQ....
  • Options
    Ever get the feeling that you are in a further remake of "Day of the Body Snatchers"? Perhaps we have to face the fact that only the trashing of the economy to demonstrate that Corbynism can't work will rid us of it?
  • Options

People are talking about Davids 2017 call i think

Yes, I know. That was legendary apparently.

Which is why I was sorry to miss his call for this one - if he did one?
  • Options
    'Kin hell, every election I've been involved has involved all the parties saying that privately and publicly.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019

speedy2 said:

As I noticed.

Basically Corbyn is getting his Student, London vote out, but no one else.
    But the Conservatives might not get their vote out anywhere.
    Very low enthusiasm.

You could see both the Conservative and Labour vote crash towards abstaintion outside of London.

Lower turnout than last time could be the only sure bet.
  • Options
    Surely by definition, the ones who are spending their time on the Facebook groups aren't going to be the ones in closest contact with the voters?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,258
    edited December 2019

Sean_F said:

Never change PB

So long as it isn't like Reginald Dyer at Jallianwala Bagh.
    Or Colonel Nicholson at the end of Bridge Over the River Kwai when he realises he's aided and collaborated with the Fascistic & brutish enemy and betrayed his own side. I'll give it 2-3 months for the BJorg to get to that stage after a BJ landslide.
This discussion has been closed.