Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2019 polling race: The pollsters ranked by the CON lead

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited December 2019
    (I still have an unopened box of Theresa May Party Poopers. Didn't have the heart to set them off in 2017....)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Everybody got their party poppers ready for the exit poll?

BONG...................

"Our exit poll is predicting that Boris Johnson will remain the Prime Minister with a majority of....that can't be right? Have you checked it? Really....? Fuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkk......."

It would be nice to hear them say Tory landslide, that is true.
  • Options

Everybody got their party poppers ready for the exit poll?

BONG...................

"Our exit poll is predicting that Boris Johnson will remain the Prime Minister with a majority of....that can't be right? Have you checked it? Really....? Fuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkk......."

Don't...I can remember 2017 all too well.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    nico67 said:

It’s strange as a Labour supporter I’ve already accepted a Tory majority and so aren’t stressed at all ! It seems the Tory supporters in here seem convinced that it might be a 2017 repeat .

I even wrote a piece on how this isn't 2017 which I'm starting to get the willies about !
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Having to do very large Sporcle quizzes (countries of the world/flags) at work to keep my mind off things.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

It’s strange as a Labour supporter I’ve already accepted a Tory majority and so aren’t stressed at all ! It seems the Tory supporters in here seem convinced that it might be a 2017 repeat .

Yes. We are worried that you are in the same place we were in 2015. I was not fussed if Miliband won. I’m much less sanguine about a Corbyn victory.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774
    RobD said:

nico67 said:

What’s up with the pound . Do currency speculators know something we don’t .

Was going down for a while, now going back up again.
    <0.5% Basically, nothing happening.
  • Options

Having to do very large Sporcle quizzes (countries of the world/flags) at work to keep my mind off things.

How about historical general election results by constituency? That will surely kill a few hours.
  • Options
    egg said:

Quincel said:

I hear turnout has slowed considerably in 649 seats now darkness has fallen, but shot up in Mole Valley where very few voters ventured outside until now.

Just shot up in Batcombe and Badgerside. Brisk too in Owlsdun.
    Picking up in Motherwell. Oh dear, someone has turned on their outside light...they won't EVER get to the polling station....
  • Options

(I still have an unopened box of Theresa May Party Poopers. Didn't have the heart to set them off in 2017....)

Party poopers? lol
  • Options

Also drove past a polling station in the neighbouring constituency [rock solid safe red] which had no signs of activity but a Police car parked outside the station. Hope nothing has gone wrong to justify the Police being at the polling station, never seen that before.

The police pretty much always pop in on our local polling station whenever there's an election. Nothing sinister, just part of the "beat".
    This happens round my way, too. I do live in a particularly low crime area, though!
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    RobD said:

Hasn't everybody got the Exit Poll? I got my emailed to me this morning, a bit like the way Jezza gets the Queen speech.

PB Elite members (platinum tier and above) got theirs yesterday.
    Hence why I've piled in on Prime Minister Berry.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Yes. We are worried that you are in the same place we were in 2015. I was not fussed if Miliband won. I’m much less sanguine about a Corbyn victory.
    Indeed. If we can through this election, the STW and SWP extremists are kicked out, and we get a more moderate Labour party (along the lines of Ed Milibands vein), then i'd be much more comfortable with a labour victory in 2024 or whenever.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Are we expecting anyone to come in from a hard day's GOTVing with a full report a la David Herdson 2017?
  • Options

Damps squibs now, what with this weather 'n' all?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Everyone is spooked by 2017.

That does seem the most likely explanation. In which case, 1.48 Con maj is a standout bet.

I thought it would be 1.2 on the day.
    Absolutely. Has there ever been an election before where the polls averaged a 10% lead and you could get 1.48 for a majority?
    I had to think for a minute. I don't know I'm afraid. 1979?

• Options
    Any word from LibDem targets? St. Albans? Cheltenham? Maidenhead? (lol!)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

No one can know. At this moment we could have 70% voting Labour or 70% voting Tory and no one would have a clue. We just have to wait until 10pm. These market movements ae not driven by any inside knowledge.

No. Although I've heard nasty stories from no less a source than the BBC that the postals are especially good for the Tories. Wonder what happens if they lose the proper vote but win just purely because of people doing it early by mail? Do we get to know the split even?

How are you calling it btw?
    Excuse me, and with respect what on earth is this proper vote. A postal vote for us oldies is a proper vote, and for many others who cannot get to the polls who may be disabled

Sorry but that is not really acceptable
    I dont agree with the previous poster but acceptable is the wrong word imo. They are allowed their thoughts on what is and isnt a proper vote.

I would prefer voting at weekends, voting for residents who have been here 5+ years but dont happen to have the right flavour passport, but others dont want that.

I fail to see why people shouldnt be able to express their disdain for certain categories of voting, when in reality everyone has some view on who should be able to vote and how.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    RobD said:

How about historical general election results by constituency? That will surely kill a few hours.
    Countries of the world in alphabetical order within 20 minutes is the best one.
  • Options

Ha! Wait till you're retired pal, you'll never have time for such things then!
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Straws in the wind but Tories fancy their chances in Sunderland Central (Lab majority 10k), hopefully some truth in that.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

That does seem the most likely explanation. In which case, 1.48 Con maj is a standout bet.

Absolutely. Has there ever been an election before where the polls averaged a 10% lead and you could get 1.48 for a majority?

Now 1.5
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

I’m not sure online betting was big then.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

I'm amazed that you've already got an accurate gauge of turnout and VI

My expectation is big Con majority but It's hard to relinquish the dream of "Boris" getting the finger until it's confirmed.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Straws in the wind but Tories fancy their chances in Sunderland Central (Lab majority 10k), hopefully some truth in that.

I can't beleive that.
  • Options
    Boris taking his dog to the polling station is clever electioneering. He’s appearing all over the shop.
  • Options
    The entire general election has to be voided IMHO

Manchester bar ordered to stop promoting free beer to those who have voted

Bock Biere Cafe was warned it would be in breach of electoral law

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/manchester-bar-voter-promotion-warning-17405072
  • Options
    Brom said:

Can you imagine if the first declaration is a Tory gain. Utter bombshell.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,109
    Brom said:

This gets the woolie stamp of approval
  • Options
    Sporcle! Yay!

Fruit producing countries!

https://www.sporcle.com/games/PumpkinBomb/fruit
  • Options
    BONG! minus 18720 seconds
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086
    Brom said:

Says who?
  • Options

Brom said:

I can't beleive that.
    Nor me.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Seriously? End of days stuff, if so.
  • Options

Excuse me, and with respect what on earth is this proper vote. A postal vote for us oldies is a proper vote, and for many others who cannot get to the polls who may be disabled

What was not acceptable was the leaking. Proper votes must be secret and not revealed until after 10 pm this evening. Not your fault, of course, but still.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

nico67 said:

Indeed. If we can through this election, the STW and SWP extremists are kicked out, and we get a more moderate Labour party (along the lines of Ed Milibands vein), then i'd be much more comfortable with a labour victory in 2024 or whenever.
    Agree. Ed Milliband, winning would, in my opinion, have been sub optimal not a disaster. Corbyn would be an unmitigated disaster.
  • Options

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/manchester-bar-voter-promotion-warning-17405072

Hang on a minute, let's check the result first...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

No one can know. At this moment we could have 70% voting Labour or 70% voting Tory and no one would have a clue. We just have to wait until 10pm. These market movements ae not driven by any inside knowledge.

No. Although I've heard nasty stories from no less a source than the BBC that the postals are especially good for the Tories. Wonder what happens if they lose the proper vote but win just purely because of people doing it early by mail? Do we get to know the split even?

I dont agree with the previous poster but acceptable is the wrong word imo. They are allowed their thoughts on what is and isnt a proper vote.

I would prefer voting at weekends, voting for residents who have been here 5+ years but dont happen to have the right flavour passport, but others dont want that.

I fail to see why people shouldnt be able to express their disdain for certain categories of voting, when in reality everyone has some view on who should be able to vote and how.
    Maybe but many would be disenfranchised if they could not postal vote
  • Options

Ironically, the hype about the Red Firewall might harm Boris. If potential northern Tory converts think that millions of their number are going to vote Tory they might just not bother, saving themselves the ethical problem of engaging in class betrayal. The whole concept might turn out to be a damp squib.

Or the could be encouraged to vote because their “betrayal” could make a meaningful difference.

Who knows? It’s all supposition at this stage and you can pick the narrative you prefer.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

Brom said:

I can't beleive that.
    Fancy their chances means they know they won't even get close, but they think it is moving in the right direction so talk it up a bit.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Fwiw I think turnout may be down on previous GEs in my polling station. No idea what that means. 🤷‍♂
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    egg said:

Quincel said:

I hear turnout has slowed considerably in 649 seats now darkness has fallen, but shot up in Mole Valley where very few voters ventured outside until now.

Just shot up in Batcombe and Badgerside. Brisk too in Owlsdun.
    Anecdote alert. I voted at 2.21 in bright and sunny Bristol. Absolutely dead. No cars in community centre car park. The building appeared deserted, I followed the POLLING signs, just echo of my heels on the floor. Got impression I woke the ladies up as I squeaked the door open. They blinked started eyes at me and one of them yawned.
    As normal I tried to make voting last as long as possible, reading five options through twice and carefully and deliberately crossed the paper and neatly folded it twice. 28 seconds in all. The paper thudded onto bottom of the box like there was nothing else in it. This is a polling station in the centre of the city of Bristol. I fear for democracy having a GE on national Christmas party day (aka Drunktank Festival) When hangovers wear off tomorrow the under 60’s will discover the over sixties have elected a government in their absence.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Seems like a stretch. I could see them taking it on a 13-14% lead, but that'd require a polling error in favor of the tories this time.
  • Options

Brom said:

As I say, they fancy it. Not saying it'll happen though.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    It does look as if turnout could be lower in the north so far, outside the cities. Could change later though.

Still need more reports from Wales.
  • Options
    melcfmelcf Posts: 166
    Bet 365 odds of Labour to cross 35% of the vote share has fallen from 2/1 to 6/4
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,895
    RobD said:

Brom said:

It would be hilarious. I hope that at least one channel has Burgeon, McDonnell, or Abbott on tv as that result comes in.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Who’s ‘they’?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

I’m not sure online betting was big then.
    :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Brom said:

The youths would be quaking, that's for sure.
  • Options

It does look as if turnout is lower in the north so far, outside the cities. Could change later though.

Based on?
  • Options

Fwiw I think turnout may be down on previous GEs in my polling station. No idea what that means. 🤷‍♂

What constituency? Lab area or Tory?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Many are disenfranchised by no weekend voting, or by not having the right flavour passport.
  • Options

Boris taking his dog to the polling station is clever electioneering. He’s appearing all over the shop.

Wtf? "I really wish I could decide how to vote. Oh, wait, Boris is taking his dog to the polling station. That settles it - I'm voting for the dog!"
  • Options
    Boris Johnson has just personally told me this

‘our teams on the ground are reporting a high Labour turnout. So have you voted yet? Have your friends and family?’
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Nobidexx said:

Brom said:

Seems like a stretch. I could see them taking it on a 13-14% lead, but that'd require a polling error in favor of the tories this time.
    Maybe not such a stretch if some labour voters simply stay at home, like the tories did in 1997.

We will see.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,895
    Nobidexx said:

Brom said:

Well the polling errors have flip flopped between the two main parties for the past quite a few election, last time was Labour's turn...
  • Options
    Boris just mailed me. Jezza hasn't stopped mailing my wife (who is a Labour member). Both sides seem to be very busy, though only the Tories were active at the polling station.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

I've obviously pinched these figures from someone else's tweet but, if the polls are wrong by the same amount and in the same direction as in 2017, we're looking at Con maj ~10.

If the polls are wrong by the same amount and in the same direction as in 2015, we're looking at Con maj ~110.

Blimey

Exactly why these are such a tense (!) few hours. Very hard to get through. How are you getting through them?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

‘our teams on the ground are reporting a high Labour turnout. So have you voted yet? Have your friends and family?’

Classic GOTV, but you must do your duty and vote LD.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

What constituency? Lab area or Tory?
    TSE's favourite, Rochester and Strood, so not a marginal. Tory ward.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Pulpstar said:

nico67 said:

I even wrote a piece on how this isn't 2017 which I'm starting to get the willies about !
    Very funny ! As much as I’d like it to be a 2017 repeat I can’t see it happening .

I think I can understand though how some Tory supporters are suffering an emotional rollercoaster . I think the problem is what sort of lead guarantees a majority .

There might be more tactical voting this time , and even with a big lead the situation in Scotland is complicated.

We don’t really know about turnout barring these reports from people at some of the polling stations , I suspect though it will be higher in Remain areas but because the Tories have managed to keep onside many of their Remainers it might not be so damaging .

I think it’s a bit more unpredictable overall with loads of different dynamics in play .
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

Brom said:

It would save me a sleepless night, as there'd be no point staying up.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Hang on a minute, let's check the result first...
    I think it’s a great idea. Polling staff stamp something and it allows you to get a free beer.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    Look how often & for how long the Con maj price has bounced around 1.5. The commentary is about as insightful now as it was when it started

• Options
    melcfmelcf Posts: 166
    Seems like Labour has managed a higher or more enthusiastic turnout, than expected.
    Wouldn't be suprised, if this last minute surge, brings Labour in the 36-39% range.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

Any word from LibDem targets? St. Albans? Cheltenham? Maidenhead? (lol!)

Well, in Guildford I have no idea about voting patterns but I can confirm that the Conservative ground operation is so absent that they did not have a teller at my polling station in Merrow - the first time since I moved here in 2001. Probably reflects the defection of many activists over Milton's treatment but not good. Knocking up going on by LDs (although fact that they came to us when their teller noted us at 11.00am suggests either excess resource and/or poor management), but no visits from Conservatives (and I live on a very Conservative road and display no party signs). As usual Labour are completely absent (rumour has it that the 2016 fire in Shalford was the ritual burning of the last socialist in Surrey :) )
  • Options
    Turnout in the north going down could be good or bad. Good because it might mean voters stay home than vote Tory. Bad because it might mean Tories end up winning by default.
  • Options
    Nobidexx said:

Brom said:

Yeah? And your point is?

Tonight, we will discover that former Labour voters are splitting into two camps

a ) those voting for Boris

b ) those voting for none of the buggers.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

What was not acceptable was the leaking. Proper votes must be secret and not revealed until after 10 pm this evening. Not your fault, of course, but still.
    I agree about the leaking but they are a proper vote
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Brom said:

Says who?
    Much as I'd love this to be true I've heard thjs at every election since 2010.
    Tory ceiling can't be much more than 17k and hard to see Lab below that.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

It does look as if turnout is lower in the north so far, outside the cities. Could change later though.

Based on?
    Trying to process through media photography and twitter anecdata, and comparing it with London reports. Yet to see any reports of really noticeable provincial nothern turnout, but these could come later on, or retropectively.

Obviously, as you're implying, though, all these can be deceptive, and even collating and comparing all the anecdata this early should be handled with care.
  • Options

Wtf? "I really wish I could decide how to vote. Oh, wait, Boris is taking his dog to the polling station. That settles it - I'm voting for the dog!"
    I think at this stage it’s more GOTV.
  • Options
    JameiJamei Posts: 50

At 6:26am today James Cleverley told me "we’re expecting a very high Labour turnout", so their canvassing data is obviously top notch.
  • Options

Brom said:

Brom said:

Who’s ‘they’?
    Owen Jones has tweeted asking voters to vote for Karl Turner in Hull East....Hmmm
  • Options
    RobD said:

Brom said:

Even more so if it is a Tory gain without needing a recount.....
  • Options

Brom said:

Brom said:

Who’s ‘they’?
    Owen Jones has tweeted asking voters to vote for Karl Turner in Hull East....Hmmm
    Only a 10k majority.
  • Options

The staff get distracted by the dog humping the table leg whilst Boris humps the other leg. :)
  • Options
    Dutching your BF backing pennies between CON maj and NOM works out at 1.07.

That has to be a good value way of effectively backing LAB under 325 (otherwise about 1.02)?
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Brom said:

Says who?
    Much as I'd love this to be true I've heard thjs at every election since 2010.
    Tory ceiling can't be much more than 17k and hard to see Lab below that.
    Lab managed 20k in 2015 and 19k in 2010.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kinabalu said:

Wrong. Elective postal voting is a bit of Blair era gerrymandering with which no true Conservative should have any truck.
  • Options
    My feelings entirely. Sadly I don't have the chance to vote to remove Raab.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    Brom said:

Well that would get the evening off with a bang! :D
  • Options
    Jamei said:

At 6:26am today James Cleverley told me "we’re expecting a very high Labour turnout", so their canvassing data is obviously top notch.
    On the other hand, they're not going to say...'We got this, it's all ok to not turn up..'
  • Options

Brom said:

Not to be Debbie Downer but we heard than 2 years ago
  • Options

Obviously such things are not designed to cause somebody to suddenly switch their view, they're part of the ongoing process of building an image or brand, or just getting more visibility.
  • Options
    Will Boris be proposing to Carrie if he gets a landslide?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    Drutt said:

Dutching your BF backing pennies between CON maj and NOM works out at 1.07.

That has to be a good value way of effectively backing LAB under 325 (otherwise about 1.02)?

CON under 325 you mean?
  • Options
    isam said:

Look how often & for how long the Con maj price has bounced around 1.5. The commentary is about as insightful now as it was when it started

The price is now too long at 1.5 based on the information we have available. The Conservatives still may not get an overall majority but they must have upwards of an 80% chance now. So I've lumped on. I'll probably hold this bet to conclusion now.
  • Options

Brom said:

I can't beleive that.
    Nor me.
    Behave. This is PB on Election Day, everyone in competition to say the silliest unsourced rumour.
    Mind you IDS and Raab do seem to be in trouble. But it’s the ones party members fear in trouble that get the work to survive that isn’t blindside shock.
    How popular is Mogg amongst Tory voters in general. If you think Tony Benn, party members and activities adored him, but ordinary voters rejected him.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1205165468044185605

This sounds a bit defeatist. Not sure Owen Jones knows much more than the rest of us though.
  • Options

I didn’t say I thought it would make much difference, I said it was clever electioneering. Gets him on telly a bit more on the day in a favourable way.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He will probably be proposing to anyone that offers him a blowjob
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Absolutely. Has there ever been an election before where the polls averaged a 10% lead and you could get 1.48 for a majority? Staggering, but I think nobody is taking anything for granted yet.

Well I would lump on if I wasn't already positioned that way for a slightly scary amount. Will the Cons REALLY pick up a ton of WC Labour seats though? When those people are in the ballot box will they actually go ahead and do it? Is Brexit so important to them as to risk being called class traitors by their nearest and dearest?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

kinabalu said:

Many are disenfranchised by no weekend voting, or by not having the right flavour passport.
    7 AM - 10 PM, nobody is disenfranchised. If you can't find 30 mins to vote, you don't want to.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Wrong. Elective postal voting is a bit of Blair era gerrymandering with which no true Conservative should have any truck.
    It's good for the rural interest.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I am sure he will be - and he may even suggest marriage at some point.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Here in Los Angeles, the only question I've had was "So, your election's between a clown and an anti-semite, right?"
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Absolutely. Has there ever been an election before where the polls averaged a 10% lead and you could get 1.48 for a majority? Staggering, but I think nobody is taking anything for granted yet.

Well I would lump on if I wasn't already positioned that way for a slightly scary amount. Will the Cons REALLY pick up a ton of WC Labour seats though? When those people are in the ballot box will they really do it? Is Brexit so important to them as to risk being called class traitors by their nearest and dearest?
    Will those people go to the ballot box? might be a more pertinent question than will they vote Tory...
This discussion has been closed.