Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » General Election 2019 : The PB Guide to Election Night

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    edited December 2019

Bishop Auckland nailed on Con gain. Heard from both sides.

Tories really would be facing a shocker if they don't win Bishop. Darlington also likely to go if they get even a minimal majority.
    Yeah all the Lab activists I know are in Darlo today.
    Wasted effort I'd say. Being out in this and then losing makes for the shittiest of shit days.

Voting "very brisk" in Brixham. Not good news for Dr. Sarah Wollaston (unless our canvass returns are a load of bollocks).
    If that was the case maybe they’d be in Sedgefield or Sunderland Central...
    The weather in Darlington is grey and it's not due to rain until 12 ish.

Also Darlington is easy to get people to - you can drop them off in an area and leave them to it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

Terrible thread article - the sun rises in the west, not the south

Did you mean to say East? Anyway at this time of year it’s more like southeast.
    It rises over the south coast region before most of the rest of the country this time of year.
  • Options
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pulpstar said:

Our polling station is never busy, but this morning there was a very steady flow (it's just over the road from me, so I can see it from an upstairs window).

Lots of cars parked at a station that always has a high proportion of people walking to it. My guess is that a lot of people who usually vote in the evening are doing it on the way to work this time.

I agree with the view that lots of people are likely to vote early today. Regardless of the weather, it will be dark anyway. Quite a lot of people usually walk to the polling station in the evening usually, but that has probably never been their plan for a December election. Best just get it out of the way in the morning when it is light.

What's your constituency
    Barnsley East. Irrelevant for the overall result, but the motivation to vote early that I mention is probably relevant everywhere.
    I've backed labour in Barnsley Central, hoping the collapse isn't err... Toooo large
  • Options

Down here in Richmond Park voting was quiet at a quarter past eight. Arguably more of a marginal of Battersea (which is not so far away) so the difference is rather stark...

Very key for the LD's.
    Even if the worst pollster for the LDs (Survation, 9%) is right they should take Richmond relatively comfortably. Even if they did slightly worse than in 2017 (say 7%) they should still win it as their voter distribution is likely to skew towards heavily remain seats. I'd be very, very surprised if they failed to take it (and that'd definitely mean less than 10 seats for them).

Given the bad polls they've had recently, I feel like seats such as Carshalton, Cheltenham and Westmorland should be the key ones to watch.
  • Options

Just voted. No queue.

Area ? General sense and profile of the region is good enough, if people aren't wanting to be too specific.
    Wycombe.
    Thanks - I see that's Steve Baker's seat.
    Yes, and I’m not happy about having to vote for him.
    Why did you then? You have just endorsed his world view
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

So on that 10pm Bong!! Exit poll. Is there any reason to think it will be far from the final result? Is this election harder to call on the exit poll than the previous few?

I’m intending to trust the exit poll tbh. The whole psychology is different than polling.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    YUGE, YUGE movement on betfair NOM in to 2.9 con maj out to 1.55. This is massive. wtf?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    edited December 2019
    IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

I have a bad feeling. Boris basically repeated all if May's mistakes apart from the shit manifesto and crap response to the terror attacks.

Yes and she got close to a majority. That’s why I think we’re probably going to see Boris just over the line, but no landslide.
    Fear of Corbyn (winning) is greater this time and the message that only the Conservatives will deliver Brexit more credible. But Johnson is more disliked/derided.
    Sounds a reasonable summary. People often mix a certain respect for Corbyn's steady courtesy with a dislike of what they perceive as extreme policies or simply unachievable ones.

I've been predicting a Tory majority of 15-30 throughout. In the light of current polls, I think 60 is more likely, but we'll see what we can do today.
    Don’t forget his unsavoury friendships and relaxed attitude towards anti-semitism.
    He doesn't have a "relaxed attitude to anti-semitism;" he is an anti-semite. He didn't tolerate somebody else in the party making the claim that Jews lack a sense of irony, for instance. Stop pretending.
    As I'm sure you know, Corbyn didn't say anything about Jews in general lacking a sense of irony. He said it about a specific group of people who attended a particular meeting.

But no doubt as people think they're on to a good thing with this, they'll carry on lying about it.
    Oh, it's just *some* jews, is it? Phew!

What I find a huge waste of time, is bothering to differentiate between mitigators and deniers of antisemitism, and antisemites. But thanks for the contribution.
    I'm sure you aren't such a fool that you think criticising particular people is evidence of prejudice against a whole group.

But if you aren't a fool, what does that make you?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Could well be a case of Labour piling up votes in inner cities again.
  • Options

Just voted. No queue.

Area ? General sense and profile of the region is good enough, if people aren't wanting to be too specific.
    Wycombe.
    Because I don’t want to endorse Corbyn’s.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I went for spoiling my ballot in the end. If I was in a marginal I would have voted (tactically for whoever could beat Labour), but as nobody can do that here I went with my main view which is none of the above at the moment.

First time since the early 90's that I have not voted for someone at a general or local election.

I couldn't think of anything funny, so just did a line through the paper.

Very sorry to hear that. As we are all aware on here voting is a special event and imbued with tremendous meaning. It is awful that someone should find no other option than to spoil their ballot.
    I think ballot spoiling is a very legitimate statement. Far better than those that opt not to vote. You made the effort to attend, but did not endorse any of them.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Brom said:

When they are already getting 80% how much more can they pile up?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

I have a bad feeling. Boris basically repeated all if May's mistakes apart from the shit manifesto and crap response to the terror attacks.

Yes and she got close to a majority. That’s why I think we’re probably going to see Boris just over the line, but no landslide.
    Fear of Corbyn (winning) is greater this time and the message that only the Conservatives will deliver Brexit more credible. But Johnson is more disliked/derided.
    Sounds a reasonable summary. People often mix a certain respect for Corbyn's steady courtesy with a dislike of what they perceive as extreme policies or simply unachievable ones.

I've been predicting a Tory majority of 15-30 throughout. In the light of current polls, I think 60 is more likely, but we'll see what we can do today.
    Don’t forget his unsavoury friendships and relaxed attitude towards anti-semitism.
    He doesn't have a "relaxed attitude to anti-semitism;" he is an anti-semite. He didn't tolerate somebody else in the party making the claim that Jews lack a sense of irony, for instance. Stop pretending.
    As I'm sure you know, Corbyn didn't say anything about Jews in general lacking a sense of irony. He said it about a specific group of people who attended a particular meeting.

But no doubt as people think they're on to a good thing with this, they'll carry on lying about it.

What I find a huge waste of time, is bothering to differentiate between mitigators and deniers of antisemitism, and antisemites. But thanks for the contribution.
    It does bear pointing out that the recently unearthed antisemitic character that Boris Johnson seems to have penned in his novel seems a bit more specific than that.

Having said that, and without wanting to stifle, it would be good if we could have a bit less of a campaign day here today.
    See above on mitigators of antisemitism.
  • Options
    Seems very strange that Tory majority drifting so much yet Lab vote share over 35% not shortening. Who knows what these movements are all about.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

Alternatively, Labour could just do something about the anti-semites in the party and stop this line of attack dead.

I have a Jewish friend who is ready to push the button on moving his family to Switzerland, if Labour gets anywhere near power. That he has had to plan this is a damning indictment on Corbyn's Labour. I can only hope that tonight Labour get soundly beaten - and the calculation at the top of the party that they gain net votes from their unrestricted anti-Israel stance gets knocked all out of whack.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Brom said:

When they are already getting 80% how much more can they pile up?
    They will be getting 80% in only a handful of seats, surely.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

YUGE, YUGE movement on betfair NOM in to 2.9 con maj out to 1.55. This is massive. wtf?

Was that last Ipsos/Mori not published yet ?
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155

Pulpstar said:

Our polling station is never busy, but this morning there was a very steady flow (it's just over the road from me, so I can see it from an upstairs window).

Lots of cars parked at a station that always has a high proportion of people walking to it. My guess is that a lot of people who usually vote in the evening are doing it on the way to work this time.

I agree with the view that lots of people are likely to vote early today. Regardless of the weather, it will be dark anyway. Quite a lot of people usually walk to the polling station in the evening usually, but that has probably never been their plan for a December election. Best just get it out of the way in the morning when it is light.

What's your constituency
    Barnsley East. Irrelevant for the overall result, but the motivation to vote early that I mention is probably relevant everywhere.
    Within striking distance...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    IshmaelZ said:

Yep it's moving as we speak. Someone nervous.

Day before polling day in 2017 Cons were 2/9 for OM. Maybe it's a "technical" once bitten reaction?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

Chris me old mucker, he is an anti-semitic fucker. You can but this but that all you like but he has presided over a party within which anti-semites feel emboldened.
    Unless you give me some evidence that doesn't involve lying about what happened, I don't believe Corbyn is personally antisemitic at all.

Absolutely he has been very critical of the State of Israel. But that's not the same at all.

Just saying something over and over again doesn't make it true. And I have to ask why - if there were any genuine evidence - people would be lying in the first place.

• Options
  • Options
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

I'm sure you aren't such a fool that you think criticising particular people is evidence of prejudice against a whole group.

The argument you are making is logically indistinguishable from "I can't be antisemitic, some of my best friends are jews." A claim which is usually and correctly ridiculed.
  • Options

Just voted. No queue.

Wycombe.
    Is the Labour and Lib Dem candidate a Corbynite? Steve Baker would not be a loss to the Conservative Party. In my opinion he and the other ERG headcases are not Conservatives.
  • Options
    In Morley & Outwood (my constituency, unless they changed the name again...) it seemed relatively busy. A few Labour thingummyjigs. Fewer Conservative posters etc. A Conservative teller (think that's the term) was outside the voting room.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

The argument you are making is logically indistinguishable from "I can't be antisemitic, some of my best friends are jews." A claim which is usually and correctly ridiculed.
    The damning part is that whilst Labour is riddled with anti-semitism, they are still a better option than what the Conservatives have become.

Grim.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

nico67 said:

Very unusual to see queues reported at some polling stations .

Voting anecdote: Arrived at my polling station at 7.05 am, parking difficult because of number of people arrived, arriving and departing, by the time I left at 7.15 am- they were operating rather slowly and took ages to find me on the register despite my polling card - people were queuing to the door. I always vote at this time, and this was uniquely busy.

area ?
    Small town far north of England.

It could be people trying to avoid the heavy rain later in the day.
    There's heavy rain already here. Appalling weather.

I don't subscribe to the view that weather has much direct effect on turnout. But it is going to reduce the amount of campaigning that all but the most dedicated feel like doing on the doorstep.
    It hasn't stopped us campaigning for the past six weeks, when it feels like it never stopped raining....
    Ah, I remember May 1997. It was a terrible result. But what a glorious day! I was the first one in the polling station that morning - the sun had woken me early, and it was impossible to stay in bed on such a fine morning.

Positive-ish thought for the morning - however much you fear one result, there are people - good, clever and kind people - who fear the other one. So be nice.
    May 1997 was fantastic! I remember cycling around Bristol on the Friday after the election and almost everyone was happy and smiling. The only people who weren't was a retired couple waiting for a bus looking decidedly grumpy, but that probably had more to do with Bristol's publict transport than the election.
    Indeed it was. As you say, glorious morning and most people I worked with (in the NHS) had voted Labour.
    Oh God I remember that day, in my last year at college. The sun was shining, everyone was smiling, politically it was the happiest day of my life.
    A wonderful day for sure. Today won't be a patch on it, whatever your political persuasions, whatever the result.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Or you can still book and do the reverse - the last 125 journeys after 40 odd years.
    https://www.ukrailtours.com/product/the-lner-hst-farewell/
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sorry to show my ignorance, as though I love the political insights this site brings I do not bet. What does that infer?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    algarkirk said:

nico67 said:

Voting anecdote: Arrived at my polling station at 7.05 am, parking difficult because of number of people arrived, arriving and departing, by the time I left at 7.15 am- they were operating rather slowly and took ages to find me on the register despite my polling card - people were queuing to the door. I always vote at this time, and this was uniquely busy.

Belatedly, perhaps this is the effect of work Christmas party season. Thursday is a popular day.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Fenster said:

eristdoof said:

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

nico67 said:

area ?

I don't subscribe to the view that weather has much direct effect on turnout. But it is going to reduce the amount of campaigning that all but the most dedicated feel like doing on the doorstep.
    It hasn't stopped us campaigning for the past six weeks, when it feels like it never stopped raining....
    Ah, I remember May 1997. It was a terrible result. But what a glorious day! I was the first one in the polling station that morning - the sun had woken me early, and it was impossible to stay in bed on such a fine morning.

Positive-ish thought for the morning - however much you fear one result, there are people - good, clever and kind people - who fear the other one. So be nice.
    May 1997 was fantastic! I remember cycling around Bristol on the Friday after the election and almost everyone was happy and smiling. The only people who weren't was a retired couple waiting for a bus looking decidedly grumpy, but that probably had more to do with Bristol's publict transport than the election.
    I loved the late 90s. Young, fit and happy. I liked Blair but I do think he was lucky to govern during such a benign time, especially those first few years. I remember going on a fortnight's holiday to Spain that year with the boys for £280!

I'm now old, not so fit and happy.
    You can't be old if you were young in the late 90's! Middle-aged possibly.

I was young the late 50's! The 60's were good!!
    :)

I was born in 1977. Just after Elvis perished.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

Alternatively, Labour could just do something about the anti-semites in the party and stop this line of attack dead.

I have a Jewish friend who is ready to push the button on moving his family to Switzerland, if Labour gets anywhere near power. That he has had to plan this is a damning indictment on Corbyn's Labour. I can only hope that tonight Labour get soundly beaten - and the calculation at the top of the party that they gain net votes from their unrestricted anti-Israel stance gets knocked all out of whack.
    Conversely, my Jewish wife who hasn't voted Labour since 2005, tells me she's just dropped in her vote for Corbyn on the way to work ( Camden / St Pancras ).
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I went for spoiling my ballot in the end. If I was in a marginal I would have voted (tactically for whoever could beat Labour), but as nobody can do that here I went with my main view which is none of the above at the moment.

First time since the early 90's that I have not voted for someone at a general or local election.

I couldn't think of anything funny, so just did a line through the paper.

Very sorry to hear that. As we are all aware on here voting is a special event and imbued with tremendous meaning. It is awful that someone should find no other option than to spoil their ballot.
    I think ballot spoiling is a very legitimate statement. Far better than those that opt not to vote. You made the effort to attend, but did not endorse any of them.
    Yes, if we could have no one winning as a result. But someone has to win and hence we have (imo) no option but to take part.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    IshmaelZ said:

MORI?
    This cant be just profit taking surely
  • Options

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

Certainly you can criticise Labour and Corbyn himself for a failure to deal with anti-semitism. But that's not the same as Corbyn being an antisemite.

Any more than a failure to deal with prejudice against Muslims in the Conservative Party makes Boris Johnson - or Sajid Javid for that matter - an Islamophobe.
  • Options
    O/T Anyone else having issues with Safari and PB.com? I have had to switch to Chrome to get PB login to work on my Macbook.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Chris said:

Unless you give me some evidence that doesn't involve lying about what happened, I don't believe Corbyn is personally antisemitic at all.

Absolutely he has been very critical of the State of Israel. But that's not the same at all.

Agreed. I don't think Corbyn is personally antisemitic.

Corbyn has however failed to deal with antisemitism in the Labour party. That looks likely to be a costly error.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    1 *percentage point* - it's a 3% difference /pedant

Although, to be fair, the bar chart itself looks to have a proper scale from zero and everything, so better than LDs in that respect ;-)
  • Options

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

Conversely, my Jewish wife who hasn't voted Labour since 2005, tells me she's just dropped in her vote for Corbyn on the way to work ( Camden ).
    Yep. I’m Jewish and have never voted Labour at a GE until today.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

Maybe you are a fool after all.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

O/T Anyone else having issues with Safari and PB.com? I have had to switch to Chrome to get PB login to work on my Macbook.

Vanilla works fine for me with Safari on both phone and iPad.
  • Options
    The blue wall on Con Maj breached

WTF is this.

1.53 surely now value
  • Options
    Wife voting Tory for first ever time, son voting same, i will strike through each name with great glee -- all irrelevant as in safe Tory Cheshire seat.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

What's your constituency
    I've backed labour in Barnsley Central, hoping the collapse isn't err... Toooo large
    I honestly don't think either of the Barnsley constituencies will even be close.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

Chris me old mucker, he is an anti-semitic fucker. You can but this but that all you like but he has presided over a party within which anti-semites feel emboldened.

Just saying something over and over again doesn't make it true. And I have to ask why - if there were any genuine evidence - people would be lying in the first place.

I am prepared to believe that he is not anti-semitic towards individual Jews.

But he is certainly anti-Israel (the Jewish state) and has associated with people who have celebrated the death of Jews. Some of his Party, meanwhile, have been none too careful about the distinction between Israel and the Jews and have realised that this is by and large without consequence.

So my words were "has presided over a party within which anti-semites feel emboldened" and they are true and in my book, together with those associations, that makes him an anti-semite.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Just voted. No queue.

Wycombe.
    No other candidates?

Seriously, should be a pretty safe seat, shouldn't it - if Lab down much more than Cons nationally since 2017? But I'm assuming you're saying you voted tactically.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Although, to be fair, the bar chart itself looks to have a proper scale from zero and everything, so better than LDs in that respect ;-)
    The SNP muppets have indicated to Scottish Tories that if they are genuine unionists they should vote LD
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

The damning part is that whilst Labour is riddled with anti-semitism, they are still a better option than what the Conservatives have become.

Grim.
    Only in your own head are they the better option.
  • Options

Chris said:

Corbyn has however failed to deal with antisemitism in the Labour party. That looks likely to be a costly error.
    He is. The origin of the entwined anti-Israel, antisemitic position is quite simply Stalin, and it is not the case that Stalinism is something alien to Corbyn personally which he has to tolerate to keep the party together.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    I've thought she was in trouble the whole campaign. The last set of polling is terrible for her party. I am predicting an SNP gain here.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

Grim.
    Insightful.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    matt said:

algarkirk said:

nico67 said:

Belatedly, perhaps this is the effect of work Christmas party season. Thursday is a popular day.
    Indeed. Ours is tonight. Im too old for that sort of thing so doing the night shift. Will vote at teatime as the voting portacabin is by the chippy. Happy days.
  • Options

Just voted. No queue.

Wycombe.
    Is the Labour and Lib Dem candidate a Corbynite? Steve Baker would not be a loss to the Conservative Party. In my opinion he and the other ERG headcases are not Conservatives.
    It’s a bit late to try to get me to change my mind.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Selebian said:

Amateurs!
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

By the way, something odd yesterday. Boris was suddenly banging the 'One Nation' drum. It jarred. Really jarred.

I mean, it's great. I'd love it if he were really a One Nation Conservative rather than a One Man Conservative but it jarred with their campaign - seemed off message.

It made me wonder if they think they haven't quite got the numbers ...

If only anyone knew what One Nation means.
    Ein Land. Ein Volk...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

He is. The origin of the entwined anti-Israel, antisemitic position is quite simply Stalin, and it is not the case that Stalinism is something alien to Corbyn personally which he has to tolerate to keep the party together.
    You can convince us in a moment if you have any real evidence of personal anti-semitism on Corbyn's part.

Go on, please be my guest!

But if that lie you posted before is the best you can do, we can conclude you have no evidence.
  • Options
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Great article. Thanks guys. So useful.
  • Options

Chris said:

I think that is reason enough to suspect he MIGHT be anti-Semitic, which is bad enough. He has had plenty of time to prove that he is not and he has failed. Allowing racism to continue in your organisation is in practice worse then secretly harbouring racist views, though it is safe to conclude that the two things generally go together.
  • Options
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

You can convince us in a moment if you have any real evidence of personal anti-semitism on Corbyn's part.

But if that lie you posted before is the best you can do, we can conclude you have no evidence.
    There is literally no point having this debate you know.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Brexit = the biggest self inflicted calamity that this country has undergone since the Second World War.

In what way was the Second World War "self inflicted"?
    We started it.
    No. The Germans invaded Poland :)
    Which had no relevance to the UK.... we chose to poke our oar in. Something that hasn't changed
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    1.57 on Betfair? What is this? I've taken a bit of that as it seems like a bargain but something very strange is happening to spook the markets that way. NOM is now at 2.96.

WillS
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Fenster said:

eristdoof said:

Cookie said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

nico67 said:

area ?

I loved the late 90s. Young, fit and happy. I liked Blair but I do think he was lucky to govern during such a benign time, especially those first few years. I remember going on a fortnight's holiday to Spain that year with the boys for £280!

I'm now old, not so fit and happy.
    You can't be old if you were young in the late 90's! Middle-aged possibly.

I was young the late 50's! The 60's were good!!
    :)

I was born in 1977. Just after Elvis perished.
    So you claim to have an alibi?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Personal anecdote.

Well that was the most difficult vote I've ever cast. Stood staring at the ballot paper for quite a while, my 10 year old daughter silently judging me at my elbow.

Labour - led by economically insane racist lunatic
    Conservative - led by populist lying racist lunatic
    Lib Dem - incompetent and confused over what does and does not constitute a 'woman'
    Green - mental crypto-communist
    Brexit - mental crypto-fascist

Came very close to spoiling the paper for the first time ever, but my judgemental offspring meant I had to do something positive so I took the rather feeble option of the Lib Dems.

[Station was just as busy as 2017 (maybe a bit quieter), current Labour candidate is fairly anti-Corbyn with a mid-size majority]
  • Options

Former parliamentry candidate and occasional TV personality David Bellamy has popped his clogs :disappointed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50752089

Again?
    Die early, die often.
    Did he make a habit of dying?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Could there be profit taking in the betting markets?
  • Options

murali_s said:

Brexit = the biggest self inflicted calamity that this country has undergone since the Second World War.

In what way was the Second World War "self inflicted"?
    We started it.
    No. The Germans invaded Poland :)
    Which had no relevance to the UK.... we chose to poke our oar in. Something that hasn't changed
    We had guaranteed their independence, that's why it was relevant.
  • Options

In Morley & Outwood (my constituency, unless they changed the name again...) it seemed relatively busy. A few Labour thingummyjigs. Fewer Conservative posters etc. A Conservative teller (think that's the term) was outside the voting room.

Ed Balls losing that seat was a set back for sensible politics in this country. With him and George on ITV tonight we will see again what we are missing. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it.
  • Options

Just voted. No queue.

Wycombe.
    I'd expect a physics teacher to apply a bit more logic, just saying.
  • Options

Damn that Mori must be really bad for Tories.

• Options

nunu2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

Grim.
    Insightful.
    Yes, your self hatred is very telling.
  • Options

Just voted. No queue.

Wycombe.
    indeed! Maybe next time, which is probably about a year away if my guess is anywhere near accurate.
  • Options
    The problem with antisemitism in the Labour Party is, if it really were just a few extremist on the fringe of the party, surely a quick and robust expulsion would solve the problem over the course of a few months. The fact that is has not been dealt with, and in many cases actually got worse over 4 years, means one of 3 things.

The party are totally inept and dealing with the issue and can't even sort some extremists out of the fringe.

The problem is actually way way worse than anyone in Labour wants to admit and despite real efforts to get it under control the cancer has spread too far.

Or they are turning a blind eye to it all, as those in power do not actually see it as a problem, which is probably the worst possible outcome.

Either way, absolutely shameful.
  • Options
    wills66 said:

1.57 on Betfair? What is this? I've taken a bit of that as it seems like a bargain but something very strange is happening to spook the markets that way. NOM is now at 2.96.

WillS

Must be to do with the last unpublished polls.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

I am prepared to believe that he is not anti-semitic towards individual Jews.

But he is certainly anti-Israel (the Jewish state) and has associated with people who have celebrated the death of Jews. Some of his Party, meanwhile, have been none too careful about the distinction between Israel and the Jews and have realised that this is by and large without consequence.

So my words were "has presided over a party within which anti-semites feel emboldened" and they are true and in my book, together with those associations, that makes him an anti-semite.
    But you don't know of any evidence of personal anti-semitism on his part?

Because if anyone does, I would genuinely like to hear it.
  • Options

The blue wall on Con Maj breached

WTF is this.

1.53 surely now value

Nice ramping! :wink:
  • Options
    No overall majority to 3 on Ladbrokes, was 3.5 earlier.
  • Options
    The Betfair movement must be either some shenanigans with the stock markets or someone must have insider knowledge. Huge movements.

It can't be based on high turnout in safe Lab seats in London because that isn't necessarily a good thing for Labour.
  • Options
    Couldn't resist.

Con Maj on at 1.57
  • Options

wills66 said:

WillS

I think there's only one.
  • Options
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

OK he walks, talks and squawks like a duck, consorts by preference with other ducks and gives birth to ducklings, and goes well with orange sauce and watercress, but until you can produce any *real* evidence that he is a duck...
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

nunu2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

Grim.
    Insightful.
    Yes, your self hatred is very telling.
    Self hatred? I don’t have any self hatred...
  • Options

I've had to use the vanilla site for a while now.
  • Options
    felix said:

Just voted. No queue.

I voted last week. No queue at the postbox.
    Maybe you confused the letterbox with something else - did it try to bite you? :)
    No
  • Options
    What's this about terrible weather by the way? Just about to cross the Forth Rail Bridge and it looks even more spectacular than normal. Cold, clear and dry. A beautiful winter's morning.
  • Options

Just voted. No queue.

Wycombe.
    I'd expect a physics teacher to apply a bit more logic, just saying.
    I did. But if we are using different axioms then we get different results.
  • Options
    JameiJamei Posts: 50

wills66 said:

WillS

Pound dropping too
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

MORI?
    This cant be just profit taking surely
    Of course it can.
  • Options

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

There is literally no point having this debate you know.
    It's not really a debate. It's just some people making an assertion for which they can't produce any evidence.
  • Options
    Poruing down now in Walthamstow/Chingford.....busy at voting station in Walthamstow around 8.45
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ed Balls losing that seat was a set back for sensible politics in this country. With him and George on ITV tonight we will see again what we are missing. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it.
    Indeed - no fan of GO personally but he's head & shoulders above the current cabinet imo.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited December 2019
    matt said:

algarkirk said:

nico67 said:

Yes, train up to London at 7.20am busier than normal today - I think it's Working From Homers going into the office as it's the Christmas party.

Either that or they've got insight into the GE result and are scrambling for the airports....
  • Options

DavidL said:

Indeed - no fan of GO personally but he's head & shoulders above the current cabinet imo.
    Obviously. The current cabinet and shadow cabinet are full of imbeciles.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Jamei said:

wills66 said:

WillS

Pound dropping too
    1.3192-0.0005 (-0.0379%)
    As of 10:02AM GMT. Market open.
  • Options

DavidL said:

GO's failings are why we have the current Cabinet.
  • Options
    melcfmelcf Posts: 166
    This antisemitic issue was blown out of proportion and is just a stick to beat Corbyn and vilify him. Backed by the right wing press, who historically have been massive antisemites themselves
    Boris, through his own writing is a racist and an Islamophobe. Like a true right wing racist, he spared no one and then went on to attack single mums and the 20% poor or depraved sections of society, as he referred to them.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

I think that is reason enough to suspect he MIGHT be anti-Semitic, which is bad enough. He has had plenty of time to prove that he is not and he has failed. Allowing racism to continue in your organisation is in practice worse then secretly harbouring racist views, though it is safe to conclude that the two things generally go together.

I think it is reason to suspect that Corby is not very competent or smart, actually.

Something that is corroborated by his grasp of economics.
  • Options

So on that 10pm Bong!! Exit poll. Is there any reason to think it will be far from the final result? Is this election harder to call on the exit poll than the previous few?

It should be accurate because it is not really a poll. It is an early result extrapolated up to national levels - a projection rather than a survey.
  • Options
    Which channel should I choose tonight?

Traditionally I have been (somewhat ironically) conservative and stuck with BBC but maybe this year I should switch? Any recommendations?
  • Options

DavidL said:

GO's failings are why we have the current Cabinet.
    GO's success in destroying the Lib Dems in 2015 is the reason we have the current Cabinet.
This discussion has been closed.