Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2019 polling and betting update

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Alistair said:

1.36 to 1.46 is a change from 72% to 68%.

Get a fucking grip and learn some basic mathematics.

Shush, profits can be made from the blind panic of others.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Alistair said:

Today until 10pm is a panic day.

And after 10pm it may still be a panic day... :D
  • Options

I really feel I need to remove myself from pb, Betfair odds and all news.... getting proper anxious.

Probably watch a movie tonight with a couple of beers

Anyone feel the same?!

It is often good to get out of the bubble for a wee while
    I thought that last night but made the mistake of going to West Ham... Now im back on pb and betfair :( Is there no relief...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Jeremy Corbyn says he stands by @JonAshworth but says he has "a rather odd sense of humour."

They'll soon knock that odd sense of humour out of him in the re-education camp.
    Are you offshoring or ringfencing your assets?

Seriously. What are you doing to hedge against a HP and Corbyn in power?
    Buy Euros.
    How? I know how to buy stocks, bonds, shares, you name it, but how do you convert large sums of cash sterling into large sums of cash euro?
    Go to World First, open an account, then they will convert your cash into euros. They are also regulated by the FCA unlike many other currency brokers.
    TransferWise has a Euro facility.
    https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/euro-account

• Options
    marke0903 said:

could it be to do with the fake You Gov poll that was on Twitter earlier showing a 3% Con lead

I did mention that but it was debunked by this morning
  • Options

I really feel I need to remove myself from pb, Betfair odds and all news.... getting proper anxious.

Anyone feel the same?!

I've now stopped taking my phone up to the bedroom at night. I found myself waking for a call of nature then checking out Betfair at 3am
    Should avoid looking at your phone before going to bed too. The blue light plus mental stimulation are terrible for getting to sleep. Much better to have a good book to read before turning the light off.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think the big moves on the Betfair Tory Maj market are down to the disappointing figures (from the Blue Team's viewpoint) in the Ashcroft poll, pure and simple ... that's three poor polling results in the last 24 hours ... not good!

The Ashcroft poll points to a big Conservative win.

If we really did have a result of 54/46 it would be something like 390/260 in terms of seats.
    What were the forced choice Conservative Government with Cameron/Labour Government with Miliband numbers just prior to GE2015?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,978
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Jeremy Corbyn says he stands by @JonAshworth but says he has "a rather odd sense of humour."

They'll soon knock that odd sense of humour out of him in the re-education camp.

Buy Euros.
    How? I know how to buy stocks, bonds, shares, you name it, but how do you convert large sums of cash sterling into large sums of cash euro?
    Dear absolute fucking gods, really? I did an article about this! Google "Chronicle of a bet foretold part 2"

Go to your bank. Ask them if they do a foreign currency account. If they do, open one up. Move sterling into it. Job done, have lollypop.

Conversely try a firm like Travelex

Others on here swear by an app called "Revolut", but I am a determined late adopter and eschew such.

Oh, try reading an article occasionally, yes?

(Hits head repeatedly upon desk)
    I would not use Revolut. Bloody awful back office.
    I don't use anything that doesn't have a physical office I can get a taxi/train to. The others are usually OK, but when they fail they really fail, and often all at the same time. But physical office, you can have a bit of a gab and (if you are lucky) a biscuit.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    edited December 2019

Jason said:

Well that was bizarre. In the space of 20 minutes NOM went from 4.00 to 3.50 and now back to 4.00.

Clearly somebody with fairly deep pockets thought they had insider info.

It’s just Herdson coming back from his canvassing. Sensibly he is betting first and typing his evening post second.....
  • Options

Anyone feel the same?!

I thought that last night but made the mistake of going to West Ham... Now im back on pb and betfair :( Is there no relief...
    Not much cheer in either is there to be honest. And I have a soft spot for West Ham
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

marke0903 said:

could it be to do with the fake You Gov poll that was on Twitter earlier showing a 3% Con lead

I did mention that but it was debunked by this morning
    I think there's been two. The four-point lead one last night and another with a 3 point lead that was apparently retweeted by Ashcroft among others before being deleted.
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico67 said:

It’s hilarious the ones in here freaking out seem to be Tory supporters whilst Labour supporters like myself seem quite chilled .

Shouldn’t it be the other way round .

PB Tories have two modes. Smug complacency, and headless chicken panic.
    Don't forget self-righteous hypocrisy mode, their default setting. 😉
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    Back online. Have we had any non-fake polling news today?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Yep, I'm thinking why the gloom? The 2017 Labour Leave vote has shipped to the Tories....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:

nico67 said:

It’s hilarious the ones in here freaking out seem to be Tory supporters whilst Labour supporters like myself seem quite chilled .

Don't forget self-righteous hypocrisy mode, their default setting. 😉
    That one is "always on". :)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ridaligo said:

Charles said:

ridaligo said:

What is the deal with protesters gluing themselves to things? This seems to be a relatively new tactic. Presumably the police can't just rip them off whatever they are glued to? Can any PB legal beagles shed any light on why this is a thing?
    Protesters have been chaining themselves for ages

Now the police just cut the chains.

With glue they need to use solvents - which involves potential allergies, injury, etc...
    Right ... but isn't there some kind of "reasonable force" justification for removing them under arrest? Or is any injury forbidden? Or is it more a PR thing?
    I'm not sure that causing an allergic reaction would count as "reasonable force" though - wouldn't it be a duty of care issue - other solvents are available.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.
    Go to World First, open an account, then they will convert your cash into euros. They are also regulated by the FCA unlike many other currency brokers.

Maybe it’s a sign of the nervousness that I’m actually currently looking at all of these and considering how to set up a Euro account.

Corbyn. Scared fuckless.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    At least we can see now how the LibDems came to be seen as the stable side of the coalition.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.
    Other high quality alternatives are available
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.

Maybe it’s a sign of the nervousness that I’m actually currently looking at all of these and considering how to set up a Euro account.

Corbyn. Scared fuckless.
    Good grief ! Just chill , it’s not happening . The Tories not getting a majority would be a bigger shock than Trump winning .
  • Options

Yep, I'm thinking why the gloom? The 2017 Labour Leave vote has shipped to the Tories....

Ashcroft has shown some of it has gone back to Labour, and the trend is now the other way.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.

Corbyn. Scared fuckless.
    Try imagining your primary asset being nationalised...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.
    I'm sure there are. But I've used them and they were very good.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

But is it returning to home port?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.
    Posters in the past have mentioned Revolut, TransferWise, Travelex and WorldFirst. If you know others, throw them on the pile. I doubt that Byronic will translate words into actions, but I'd find it useful.
  • Options
    O/T

I'm playing Scrabble with Midge Ure.

I've got 4 letters left but they mean nothing to me.

O

V

N

R
  • Options
    Crikey. Can we all just calm down?

Poll lead has been remarkably static for weeks. People have largely made up their minds and a bit of confected froth in the past couple of days isn't going to change that.

Over the weekend and yesterday there was even a slight uptick in the gap.

I'm sticking with Con +60.

At least until after 10pm tonight...
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.
    Posters in the past have mentioned Revolut, TransferWise, Travelex and WorldFirst. If you know others, throw them on the pile. I doubt that Byronic will translate words into actions, but I'd find it useful.
    Monzo (those orange/hot pink cards) is the market leader among the yoof from my experience.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    TudorRose said:

But is it returning to home port?
    If they do that, they'll never be able to complain again when Brexit's gone in a puff of dust.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

O/T

O

V

N

R

I'm sorry but I keep looking at those letters and all I can think of is 'Oven ready'. We all deserve a Christmas break from this!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I think the big moves on the Betfair Tory Maj market are down to the disappointing figures (from the Blue Team's viewpoint) in the Ashcroft poll, pure and simple ... that's three poor polling results in the last 24 hours ... not good!

The Ashcroft poll points to a big Conservative win.

If we really did have a result of 54/46 it would be something like 390/260 in terms of seats.
    What were the forced choice Conservative Government with Cameron/Labour Government with Miliband numbers just prior to GE2015?
    Sean F's figures are simply wrong. A forced choice of 54/46 between the two major parties translates to 43/37 on the basis of them together achieving 80% of the vote. Run these numbers on Baxter and you get334 seats for the Tories for a tiny majority and way adrift of the 390 seats he suggests.
  • Options
    Charles said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.

Corbyn. Scared fuckless.
    It’s still before the lagershed.
  • Options
    Charles said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.

Corbyn. Scared fuckless.
    My laptop?????? Not my reconditioned T440p with special preloaded software??? A steal from authorised Microsoft refurbisher MicroDream ltd??? (Microdream.co.uk). Cold dead hand, Charles, cold dead hand... :)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.
    It would probably identify me to those who don't know already :wink:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

I’ve just done my latest panellist VI question, so I guess they are updating up to the wire

Another poll skewed :)
    Two PBers.... out of 40 million+ electors. Hmmmmm :D
    The pollsters tell me I’m a member of few very hard to contact demographics.
    Folk that still have time for Dave?
    That too.

In the shrine* I have to David Cameron I have four things signed by him.

*Study but mostly a printer room.
    Your body being one?
  • Options

O/T

O

V

N

R

I would comment, but the feeling has gone: it's just you and I. It fades in the distance... :)

(Feels very old... :( )
  • Options

I would just drive off with them still stuck to the bus like the stuff toys you see stuck to the grills of big US trucks.
    Who does this serve? I don't think these brain dead idiots have thought it through
    On the contrary, XR has been extraordinarily successfully at raising the profile of climate change as an election issue. At the hustings in my Tory constituency yesterday, the candidates were almost falling over each other to big up their green credentials. Last time, it barely got a look-in.
    Yes. There is the risk the more crazy and less reasoned among them push things too far and it becomes counter productive, but as a group theyve been remarkably effective in getting the message out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico67 said:

And "satisfied after eating roast baby"
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Well you've done it for me now so I dont have to. Cheers
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

O/T

O

V

N

R

I'm sorry but I keep looking at those letters and all I can think of is 'Oven ready'. We all deserve a Christmas break from this!
    OVNR = Oh, Vienna. It's a lyric from a 1980s song "Vienna" from a 1980s band called Ultravox, the lead singer of which was a man called Midge Ure.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    wills66 said:

Good balanced portfolio with investment in companies worldwide. If you're really nervous buy some physical gold. If you're really, really nervous buy some physical gold held in a vault that isn't in the UK.

WillS.

Ta
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.
    I am going to do something.

I will put cash in diverse foreign assets. It's a wise move whatever happens.

And I will OPEN a euro account and wait for a few more polls tonight/tomorrow
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Brom said:

This is literally like something out of The Day Today

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1204412868877111296

Everything has done since about 2003...
  • Options

This thread has lost its deposit!

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.
    I am going to do something.

I will put cash in diverse foreign assets. It's a wise move whatever happens.

And I will OPEN a euro account and wait for a few more polls tonight/tomorrow
    Chill a bit...

1. The Tories, sadly, are going to win a majority.
    2. Corbyn is not going to be PM
    3. But... even if he did become PM he would be at the mercy of his SNP, LD and moderate Labour MPs and would not be able to implement the Labour manifesto
    4. But... even if he could implement his manifesto it would not destroy the economy. Jolt it, yes, but some even think the additional investment would cause the £ to rise https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/09/will-the-pound-go-up-in-value-if-labour-wins-the-general-election
    5. But... even if the £ did fall you've still got your writing talent male modelling good looks to keep you solvent through any hard times.

Chill - you'll be fine!

Alternative waste your money on madcap hedge schemes - it's all the same to me :lol:
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.
    Transferwise or Revolut or others. You can shift a 100k in minutes and it doesnt take long to set up account.
  • Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited December 2019
    viewcode said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Norman Smith

Buy Euros.
    Dear absolute fucking gods, really? I did an article about this! Google "Chronicle of a bet foretold part 2"

Go to your bank. Ask them if they do a foreign currency account. If they do, open one up. Move sterling into it. Job done, have lollypop.

Conversely try a firm like Travelex

Others on here swear by an app called "Revolut", but I am a determined late adopter and eschew such.

Oh, try reading an article occasionally, yes?

(Hits head repeatedly upon desk)
    After moving cash into a Revolut account and reaching for a lollypop, start wondering whether any of it is protected under the FSCS...
This discussion has been closed.