Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos-MORI finds that more electors might tactically vote

Comments

• Options

From previous thread, a lot of willful blindness on the UK's hunger crisis, much of which can be attributed to the introduction of UC.
    This document from the House of Commons has a lot of useful and sobering information:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmenvaud/1491/149105.htm

See in particular Figure 5 that shows that a higher % of children live in food insecure households in the UK than in any other EU country. Also paras 33-37 on the impact of UC.

Don't misunderstand me, I am well aware of the levels of poverty in our very rich country, especially among those euphemistically called the "working poor". That is why I know what happens in our local foodbank. My local Rotary club has just helped buy a much needed heater for our local foodbank. We will also be making up our annual Christmas hampers next week which are distributed on our behalf by the Christian charity which operates the foodbank. We are doing a bag pack in Tesco on Saturday to raise money for the hampers and our other local projects.

The level of poverty across the UK is an indictment on ALL governments, Tory, Coalition and Labour at Westminster, Labour and SNP at Holyrood and Cardiff and the Rainbow coalition in Belfast. That is also why even though I am a right wing Tory I believe building good quality social housing should be the top priority of all our governments.
    Tory policy is basically than you can now earn £1,000 a month without paying and tax or NI on it and your employer has to give you a small private pension too.

I think that’s pretty good. £1,000 should be enough for a basic lifestyle (way, way better than benefits) the big other expenses being rent, council tax, transport to/from work and childcare.
    Superdry!
    I think the Tories could do more on council tax and childcare.

Why not go further and look at VAT rebates for those on benefits on essential products?
    As a Scot the number one thing that would need changing if things took a turn for the worse is the min alcohol pricing. And that's not me being dry or funny - I'm being really quite serious.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

Can someone explain to me how a 4 day week policy aligns with:

‘Introducing a legal right to collective consultation on the implementation of new technology in workplaces.’

What new wheely bin of misery is this?
    They want to avoid a repeat of the job losses incurred by industrialisation?
    Crush the spinning jennies!

(Blackadder)
  • Options
    It’s childcare that kills you.

Two full-time earners (sans kids) living together on minimum wage are basically ok even in the south.

Say, total take home is about £2,400 pcm

Rent - £850
    Council tax - £140
    Transport - £200
    Essential Bills - £100
    Food - £400

You’ve got a nice chunk left over.

A bit more troublesome if you’re single. You basically have to share, or just rent a room, on minimum wage.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

‘Introducing a legal right to collective consultation on the implementation of new technology in workplaces.’

No need to be concerned: The Rt Hon Ned Ludd MP will adjudicate impartially.
  • Options

From previous thread, a lot of willful blindness on the UK's hunger crisis, much of which can be attributed to the introduction of UC.
    This document from the House of Commons has a lot of useful and sobering information:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmenvaud/1491/149105.htm

See in particular Figure 5 that shows that a higher % of children live in food insecure households in the UK than in any other EU country. Also paras 33-37 on the impact of UC.

Don't misunderstand me, I am well aware of the levels of poverty in our very rich country, especially among those euphemistically called the "working poor". That is why I know what happens in our local foodbank. My local Rotary club has just helped buy a much needed heater for our local foodbank. We will also be making up our annual Christmas hampers next week which are distributed on our behalf by the Christian charity which operates the foodbank. We are doing a bag pack in Tesco on Saturday to raise money for the hampers and our other local projects.

The level of poverty across the UK is an indictment on ALL governments, Tory, Coalition and Labour at Westminster, Labour and SNP at Holyrood and Cardiff and the Rainbow coalition in Belfast. That is also why even though I am a right wing Tory I believe building good quality social housing should be the top priority of all our governments.
    Tory policy is basically than you can now earn £1,000 a month without paying and tax or NI on it and your employer has to give you a small private pension too.

I think that’s pretty good. £1,000 should be enough for a basic lifestyle (way, way better than benefits) the big other expenses being rent, council tax, transport to/from work and childcare.
    Superdry!

Why not go further and look at VAT rebates for those on benefits on essential products?
    As a Scot the number one thing that would need changing if things took a turn for the worse is the min alcohol pricing. And that's not me being dry or funny - I'm being really quite serious.
    This might sound a silly question, but changing which way?
  • Options

As I mentioned on a previous thread I work at a Foodbank (work in the sense of volunteer). I see our clients - around 30 a day at first hand. One of the issues some face is the five week universal credit wait, we have ex offenders, single mums and around 25% are in work. The big issues for many are high rents etc, some pay £400 a month, fuel bills, transport on buses and of course food. £1000 a month does not bring an easy life especially if you have children.

Can I just plug foodbanks around the country are collecting in large Tescos tomorrow and Friday to help provide a decent Christmas for families. If you are in there please help.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Sorry for the long url, but it very clearly shows a negative correlation to food poverty and food bank usage:
    https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-056350_QID_418A3FF_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;HHTYP,L,Z,0;INCGRP,L,Z,1;UNIT,L,Z,2;INDICATORS,C,Z,3;&zSelection=DS-056350INCGRP,TOTAL;DS-056350UNIT,PC;DS-056350INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-056350HHTYP,TOTAL;&rankName1=HHTYP_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=INCGRP_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName6=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=###,###.###
    This is not hard to do: https://tinyurl.com/r9z74vm
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited November 2019

Superdry!

There’s a whole bunch of stuff that can be done on VAT once out of the EU. Start with domestic fuel and tampons.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sorry for the long url, but it very clearly shows a negative correlation to food poverty and food bank usage:
    https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-056350_QID_418A3FF_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;HHTYP,L,Z,0;INCGRP,L,Z,1;UNIT,L,Z,2;INDICATORS,C,Z,3;&zSelection=DS-056350INCGRP,TOTAL;DS-056350UNIT,PC;DS-056350INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-056350HHTYP,TOTAL;&rankName1=HHTYP_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=INCGRP_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName6=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=###,###.###
    This is not hard to do: https://tinyurl.com/r9z74vm
    It isn’t... sorry.. I was trying to do something else at the same time.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    madmacs said:

As I mentioned on a previous thread I work at a Foodbank (work in the sense of volunteer). I see our clients - around 30 a day at first hand. One of the issues some face is the five week universal credit wait, we have ex offenders, single mums and around 25% are in work. The big issues for many are high rents etc, some pay £400 a month, fuel bills, transport on buses and of course food. £1000 a month does not bring an easy life especially if you have children.

Can I just plug foodbanks around the country are collecting in large Tescos tomorrow and Friday to help provide a decent Christmas for families. If you are in there please help.
    Something really needs to be done about the wait time for universal credit. They should just pay first and if there's an overpayment, claw that back through slightly lower payments later.
  • Options
    RobD said:

madmacs said:

Something really needs to be done about the wait time for universal credit. They should just pay first and if there's an overpayment, claw that back through slightly lower payments later.
    That is done on request now.

• Options
    ArthurArthur Posts: 63
    edited November 2019

You can create shorter URLs at TinyURL.com etc. E.g. https://tinyurl.com/yx7slkzn. Also you can use link text and "a href" so that the link itself doesn't show, like this. (If you reply to this comment, you'll see how I did that.) I don't understand what you are concluding from those figures - a negative correlation between what and what?
  • Options

Superdry!

This might sound a silly question, but changing which way?
    Bin the Fun Tax. Let the poor be Happy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

They want to avoid a repeat of the job losses incurred by industrialisation?
    but isn't that the point of the reduced week?

it seems absolutely luddite.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Manifesto for luddites.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,620
    Yorkshire Pizza should be made with Wensleydale cheese, with a topping of forced rhubard.
  • Options
    Arthur said:

You can create shorter URLs at TinyURL.com etc. E.g. https://tinyurl.com/yx7slkzn. Also you can use link text and "a href" so that the link itself doesn't show. I don't understand what you are concluding from those figures - a negative correlation between what and what?
    The food bank usage at its highest when genuine food poverty is at its lowest.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792
    RobD said:

Mr. D, millions died fighting the lobsters.

Haven't we always been at war with the lobster?
    Oh, if only there could be peace with the clawed and many-spined denizens of Father Neptune's demesne! What a world we could make together in peace!

Of course, we would have to stop boiling them alive first... :(
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Manifesto for luddites.

And which part of the country did the Luddites come from? Hmm...
  • Options
    Banterman said:

MikeL said:

Channel 4 Leaders debate cancelled.

Corbyn said Yes, Boris said No.

Boris closing down risk - sensible move.

Its channel 4. After their news boss accused Boris of being a liar, they all refuse, quite rightly, to appear on it.

What did Channel 4 expect?
    Might as well be hosted by The Canary.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855

Funding local Government is and remains a conundrum. The 1991 valuations still apply in England but house prices are nowhere near where they were 30 years ago.

If the 1991 valuation bands remained and the housing stock was properly revalued, everyone would end up paying a lot more.

The bands needs to be revised, the stock needs to be revalued with a wider range of bands reflecting the gap in values from cheapest to most expensive (adding a few extra bands might be a challenge for the Council Tax software suppliers but not impossible).

There will be losers and they will shout but the current arrangements are well past their time.

There's also the redistributive elements so the wealthy areas help support the poorer - the question of how much Councils should be raising from other sources (parking, Investment Property income etc) is another which needs proper thought.
  • Options
    madmacs said:

Thanks. I agree something needs to be done about the UC wait. It should really be about a week to wait, not five. And I also agree childcare is an absolute killer.

Yes, I’ll see if I can throw something in the pot for the Christmas foodbank. There isn’t a Tesco in my area but I think Waitrose has one too.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    edited November 2019
    stodge said:

Funding local Government is and remains a conundrum. The 1991 valuations still apply in England but house prices are nowhere near where they were 30 years ago.

If the 1991 valuation bands remained and the housing stock was properly revalued, everyone would end up paying a lot more.

The bands needs to be revised, the stock needs to be revalued with a wider range of bands reflecting the gap in values from cheapest to most expensive (adding a few extra bands might be a challenge for the Council Tax software suppliers but not impossible).

There will be losers and they will shout but the current arrangements are well past their time.

There's also the redistributive elements so the wealthy areas help support the poorer - the question of how much Councils should be raising from other sources (parking, Investment Property income etc) is another which needs proper thought.
    The bands don't work anymore. House prices up North now bear zero resemblance to those done South.

Now that could be resolved by having band A being up to £100,000 up North and £300,000 down south but it still doesn't help.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I think you answered your own question there.

No Government is ever going to touch them in normal times.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792
    edited November 2019
    Drutt said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

As predicted, Boris is ducking debates.
    Didn't he just do one?
    Yes, and now he is ducking them.
    Oh what a shame. I was looking forward to many more totally crap debates like Tuesday's.
    Was it any good? I meant to watch it but I ended up cutting verrucas out of my feet whilst watching Chris Stuckman review "Frozen ll". I now have less painful feet and know Olaf is a one-film character. So all in all, I made the right decision.

I think the only thing I know is that it was on the set of Tron Legacy... :)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Yorkshire Pizza should be made with Wensleydale cheese, with a topping of forced rhubard.

We don't want that southern forced rhubarb...
  • Options
    eek said:

stodge said:

The bands don't work anymore. House prices up North now bear zero resemblance to those done South.

Now that could be resolved by having band A being up to £100,000 up North and £300,000 down south but it still doesn't help.
    There's nothing stopping having many many more bands. A1-9, B1-9, C1-9 etc. gets you to 234 alone.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,655
    rkrkrk said:

So, oh wise crowds of the internet, help me with this.

I am making a pizza for the first time. My tomato anchovy sauce is ready. My dough us rolled, kneaded and cooking.

But in the absence of mozzarella, should I be using parmesan or cheddar? What say you?

First open the tin of pineapple...
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

I am making a pizza for the first time. My tomato anchovy sauce is ready. My dough us rolled, kneaded and cooking.

But in the absence of mozzarella, should I be using parmesan or cheddar? What say you?

Stop now, phone Just Eat and get one delivered
  • Options

https://twitter.com/DuncanWeldon/status/1197564455468580864

Look at the lowest end of the 10% of income earners. What a change between 1977 and 1987

The doubling of VAT by Maggie in her first year?
  • Options

Arthur said:

You can create shorter URLs at TinyURL.com etc. E.g. https://tinyurl.com/yx7slkzn. Also you can use link text and "a href" so that the link itself doesn't show. I don't understand what you are concluding from those figures - a negative correlation between what and what?
    The food bank usage at its highest when genuine food poverty is at its lowest.
    So "inability to afford" in that survey doesn't mean that people actually go without?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    The TV debates are good for the TV channels, because all they wish for is a 'gotcha' moment. It's like gold dust for them. They're not going to make any difference in the real world - unless someone badly screws up, and neither Boris or Corbyn are that stupid.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,012
    Will Jeremy Corbyn's inquiry to learn more about crimes against humanity start in the 1933-45 period?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

Its channel 4. After their news boss accused Boris of being a liar, they all refuse, quite rightly, to appear on it.

Ch4 news is brilliant the only fair challenging news on the tv. Don’t see the problem if you don’t like your preconceived opinions being challenged don’t watch it. I find they are objective and challenging from all perspectives. Just what the UK needs
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

Ch4 news is brilliant the only fair challenging news on the tv. Don’t see the problem if you don’t like your preconceived opinions being challenged don’t watch it. I find they are objective and challenging from all perspectives. Just what the UK needs
    Please - it's like the Fox News of the Left.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

LOL well that says it all doesn't it 😂
  • Options
    Without British colonialism I wouldn't be British but living in the dingy souks of Lahore or Jhelum.

Hurrah for British colonialism.
  • Options

madmacs said:

This document from the House of Commons has a lot of useful and sobering information

Thanks. I agree something needs to be done about the UC wait. It should really be about a week to wait, not five. And I also agree childcare is an absolute killer.

Yes, I’ll see if I can throw something in the pot for the Christmas foodbank. There isn’t a Tesco in my area but I think Waitrose has one too.
    The real killer is that child care funding does not start at nine months when maternity benefit stops, what are single mothers going to do if child care costs make it not worth going back to work and benefits are a better solution. There is only one party addressing this problem.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    BluerBlue said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

Is Jon Snow still on it - the bloke who loves to scream "fuck tthe tories"

Yep - so balanced
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FTPT
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

sarissa said:

Great precedent for Labour's windfall tax on oil companies:

Memories of job losses, house price falls etc. could shift some SLAB support to SCon in Aberdeen and NE Scotland.

A couple of flaws. The windfall tax was a pledge in 1997, not 2011. In 2011 Labour were in opposition.

Apart from that, spot on! B)
    I thought the chart was implying that there was a windfall tax in 2011, and receipts nosedived afterwards?
    Yes, one of Osborne's dumbest ideas. Oil companies slammed the breaks on investment in the face of the windfall.

Cons then had to introduce incentives which resulted in negative tax take recently.

Absolute balls up.
  • Options
    Jason said:

The TV debates are good for the TV channels, because all they wish for is a 'gotcha' moment. It's like gold dust for them. They're not going to make any difference in the real world - unless someone badly screws up, and neither Boris or Corbyn are that stupid.

They both are
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Sounds good, tell us more......
  • Options
    Alistair said:

FTPT

RobD said:

Foxy said:

sarissa said:

Memories of job losses, house price falls etc. could shift some SLAB support to SCon in Aberdeen and NE Scotland.

A couple of flaws. The windfall tax was a pledge in 1997, not 2011. In 2011 Labour were in opposition.

I thought the chart was implying that there was a windfall tax in 2011, and receipts nosedived afterwards?
    Yes, one of Osborne's dumbest ideas. Oil companies slammed the breaks on investment in the face of the windfall.

Cons then had to introduce incentives which resulted in negative tax take recently.

Absolute balls up.
    Yeah, not sure what Foxy was getting at there.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

No in what way is it biased? It seeks to expose untruths and lies what does it say about you that you are uncomfortable about it?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

No in what way is it biased? It seeks to expose untruths and lies what does it say
    That their main anchor goes around chanting "Fuck the Tories" is all you need to know.
  • Options
    Floater said:

BluerBlue said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

Yep - so balanced
    Indeed Corbyn Cultists love to boo LauraK who is always professional and has never shouted "fuck Labour".
  • Options

Without British colonialism I wouldn't be British but living in the dingy souks of Lahore or Jhelum.

You might be LesAiglesQuiCrient.
  • Options

Floater said:

BluerBlue said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

Yep - so balanced
    Indeed Corbyn Cultists love to boo LauraK who is always professional and has never shouted "fuck Labour".
    Corbyn cultists don't want their dear leader questioned.

And these people want to regulate the news ........
  • Options
    RobD said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

No in what way is it biased? It seeks to expose untruths and lies what does it say
    That their main anchor goes around chanting "Fuck the Tories" is all you need to know.
    No more than Marr and the recently retired radio four presenter were open and pro Tory.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

FTPT

RobD said:

Foxy said:

sarissa said:

Absolute balls up.
    Just pointing out that it was not a Labour policy. Daft tax policies are common to Tory governments too. The pension tax taper is another good present example, cancelling operating lists across the country.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,466
    edited November 2019

So I'd be banging on about victories like Patay and that Hastings showed that England has been France's bitch since 1066?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

FTPT

RobD said:

Foxy said:

sarissa said:

Absolute balls up.
    Just pointing out that it was not a Labour policy. Daft tax policies are common to Tory governments too. The pension tax taper is another good present example, cancelling operating lists across the country.
    Whoever implemented it is not really relevant, it was posted as "precedent for Labor's windfall tax".
  • Options
    stodge said:

Anyone in an above average band would probably end up paying less, as in much of the country the (unworkable) proposal to do a revaluation but keep the old bands would pretty much turn council tax into a flat rate tax.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Floater said:

Floater said:

BluerBlue said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

Yep - so balanced

And the internet...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

No more than Marr and the recently retired radio four presenter were open and pro Tory.
    Marr is open and pro Tory? That's news to me - and I don't think he's ever said profane statements regarding political parties,
  • Options
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

Marr while he was working on the news chanted "Fuck Labor" and kept his job? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

BluerBlue said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

Yep - so balanced

And the internet...
    Dissent will not be allowed - straight out of the hard left playbook
  • Options
    Personally I think Prince Andrew lacks the depth or the warmth to be one.

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/641141989958909952
  • Options
    Good evening all.

Labour's proposals to tax dividends at income tax rates will hit many ordinary self employed people who runs their businesses as limited companies and whose total income is well below £80,000. It will also hit many pensioners who rely on dividend income. CCHQ should be all over this proposal and relentlessly highlight its impact.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

So I'd be banging on about victories like Patay and that Hastings showed that England has been France's bitch since 1066?
    TSE Will be in Lahore in about two weeks. Anywhere you'd recommend to visit/eat?
  • Options
    RobD said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

Marr is open and pro Tory? That's news to me - and I don't think he's ever said profane statements regarding political parties,
    The BBC overall does a good job, if you are criticized from both left and right then you are getting something right. The problem with most of their coverage is the often failed attempt to put up opposing views when there isn’t a credible opposing view. Just changed channel for my favorite, unbiased news so will now enjoy
  • Options
    https://www.quora.com/Is-Channel-4-of-the-UK-a-left-wing-news-channel

Love the first comment

"I could go on, but these are the main anchors of Channel 4 news. To call Channel 4 news balanced would be an affront to accuracy."
  • Options

If a Government has a big majority it has the opportunity to be radical - the 1906 Asquith, 1945 Attlee and 1983 Thatcher Governments all enjoyed very big majorities and were able to make substantial changes to society and the economy.

The 1997 election gave Blair a similar opportunity but frankly he blew it and we will never know if his second term might have been more radical but the events of 11/9/01 reshaped the domestic and international agenda fundamentally,

IF, as I suspect and fear, Boris Johnson and the Conservatives win a landslide in three weeks, they will have the opportunity to bring about radical change and there are many ideas where such change is needed. It will be interesting to see if they have the appetite for such radicalism.

My suspicion is the new Conservative coalition of Brexiteers and anti-Corbynites will unravel quickly once the former happens and the latter disappears. To be fair, though, it took 14 years for Labour to get back to power from the 1983 nadir so it may be Boris will serve three full terms but the longer he and the Conservatives stay in power the heavier and more substantial the defeat will be when (not if) it happens.
  • Options
    TimT said:

TSE Will be in Lahore in about two weeks. Anywhere you'd recommend to visit/eat?
    No idea, I was last in Pakistan in 2005, and in my 41 years on this planet, I've spent the total of 3 months in Pakistan, most of that was before my 5th birthday.
  • Options
  • Options

TimT said:

No idea, I was last in Pakistan in 2005, and in my 41 years on this planet, I've spent the total of 3 months in Pakistan, most of that was before my 5th birthday.
    LOL. Guess I've spent more time there than you. :neutral:
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Fair 'n Balanced.
  • Options
    The thing the Tories should be pushing hard is Labour's obscene policy of rigging the electorate in its favour by granting every resident the vote. It's one line in the manifesto but the jump in Labour's electability it produces makes it more dangerous than any other single policy.
  • Options
    Floater said:

https://www.quora.com/Is-Channel-4-of-the-UK-a-left-wing-news-channel

Love the first comment

"I could go on, but these are the main anchors of Channel 4 news. To call Channel 4 news balanced would be an affront to accuracy."

It’s only left wing if you start from a misguided view of where the political center is. I like every body else think they occupy the center ground and as I couldn’t vote labour or Tory I am confident that I occupy the now very deserted central ground.
  • Options

Anyone in an above average band would probably end up paying less, as in much of the country the (unworkable) proposal to do a revaluation but keep the old bands would pretty much turn council tax into a flat rate tax.

Indeed anyone in a top band property wouldn't be affected but there would be a lot more in the top band and as you say it would effectively be a flat tax.

The other aspect of local Government finance is the requirement to fund adult social care provision and provision for vulnerbale children and for many councils an increasing proportion of budgets go on that and non-statutory ptovision is cut back further.

One example - the amount spend on routine road maintenance has fallen in real terms by 53% since 2010.
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

I reckon I've spent more time in Australia, France, and America than I have in Pakistan.

Actually I've spent more time in Disneyland than in Pakistan.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,620
    humbugger said:

Good evening all.

Labour's proposals to tax dividends at income tax rates will hit many ordinary self employed people who runs their businesses as limited companies and whose total income is well below £80,000. It will also hit many pensioners who rely on dividend income. CCHQ should be all over this proposal and relentlessly highlight its impact.

When you say 'hit' you mean it will stop them dodging tax like they do now.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

The thing the Tories should be pushing hard is Labour's obscene policy of rigging the electorate in its favour by granting every resident the vote. It's one line in the manifesto but the jump in Labour's electability it produces makes it more dangerous than any other single policy.

Well the Americans decided that they wanted rid of the brits because there was taxation without representation. If you take their taxes why shouldn’t they have a vote?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    I see that the C4 737-Max documentary, which someone kindly recommended last night, is now up on All4. Well worth a watch, particularly the later parts that focus on the shortcuts taken to certify the new model of 737.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

Well the Americans decided that they wanted rid of the brits because there was taxation without representation. If you take their taxes why shouldn’t they have a vote?
    I can assure you that the Americans have nothing against taxation without representation these days ...
  • Options
    Ch4 destroying labour in their coverage tonight they obviously are are pro Tory completely ridiculed on their policies after presenting them fairly.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

Because they are not citizens and for the most part there is no reciprocal right. For the avoidance of doubt I’d remove the Irish and Commonwealth rights too.

This is frankly an outrageous gerrymander. Don’t like the electorate so we’ll change it.
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

I reckon I've spent more time in Australia, France, and America than I have in Pakistan.

Actually I've spent more time in Disneyland than in Pakistan.
    I have now lived in the US longer than I have in the UK.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

1. Why are you cooking the base before you put the topping on?
    2. Why are you making a pizza when you have no mozzarella? In its absence you should use cheddar. If you load it up with parmesan it will be way too salty.
    3. Put pineapple on if you want. Sweetcorn is the one true abomination on a pizza.
    1. hmm, maybe i should have asked advice before starting. Internet recipe recommended this.
    2. Have gone with cheddar
    3. Like pineapple, but don't have any.

Phone pizza place and order pizza. While you wait for it to be delivered, you can watch Youtube videos about making pizzas. I'm guessing if you had a proper pizza oven, you'd also have the right cheese.
    Actually tasted pretty good. Dough could be improved certainly.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

Because they are not citizens and for the most part there is no reciprocal right. For the avoidance of doubt I’d remove the Irish and Commonwealth rights too.

This is frankly an outrageous gerrymander. Don’t like the electorate so we’ll change it.
    No it is not if you take tax revenue of an individual you should give the a say in how it is spent, citizenship is a stupid archaic, nationalistic view of life.
  • Options
    stodge said:

If a Government has a big majority it has the opportunity to be radical - the 1906 Asquith, 1945 Attlee and 1983 Thatcher Governments all enjoyed very big majorities and were able to make substantial changes to society and the economy.

The 1997 election gave Blair a similar opportunity but frankly he blew it and we will never know if his second term might have been more radical but the events of 11/9/01 reshaped the domestic and international agenda fundamentally,

IF, as I suspect and fear, Boris Johnson and the Conservatives win a landslide in three weeks, they will have the opportunity to bring about radical change and there are many ideas where such change is needed. It will be interesting to see if they have the appetite for such radicalism.

My suspicion is the new Conservative coalition of Brexiteers and anti-Corbynites will unravel quickly once the former happens and the latter disappears. To be fair, though, it took 14 years for Labour to get back to power from the 1983 nadir so it may be Boris will serve three full terms but the longer he and the Conservatives stay in power the heavier and more substantial the defeat will be when (not if) it happens.
    The way in which the promise of Blair’s first term was squandered first by timidity then by hubris is a key story of our times.

My guess is that the Bozo Tories will go the same way as recent Republication presidents (not just Trumpy) in trading on their supposed greater economic competence to get elected and then borrowing more and spending more and generally being more economically reckless than their opponents could ever get away with.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

You mean Andrew Marr?

Of course, he is not Tory. He is married to Jackie Ashley who is the daughter of a Labour MP.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

No it is not if you take tax revenue of an individual you should give the a say in how it is spent, citizenship is a stupid archaic, nationalistic view of life.
    And you wonder why the Lib Dems are sinking without trace despite every opportunity offered to them...
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

1. Why are you cooking the base before you put the topping on?
    2. Why are you making a pizza when you have no mozzarella? In its absence you should use cheddar. If you load it up with parmesan it will be way too salty.
    3. Put pineapple on if you want. Sweetcorn is the one true abomination on a pizza.
    1. hmm, maybe i should have asked advice before starting. Internet recipe recommended this.
    2. Have gone with cheddar
    3. Like pineapple, but don't have any.

Phone pizza place and order pizza. While you wait for it to be delivered, you can watch Youtube videos about making pizzas. I'm guessing if you had a proper pizza oven, you'd also have the right cheese.
    Actually tasted pretty good. Dough could be improved certainly.
    When buying mozzarella for pizza next time, make sure you buy the low water content mozzarella.

* low-moisture
  • Options
    nichomar said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

So, I got to Barcelona. I pay a tourist tax.

I suddenly get the right to vote in elections in Barcelona.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

Rubbish. It shows a commitment to the place. It’s meant to be discriminatory between those with a commitment and those who do not or do not wish to apply ( fair enough if they don’t). Good. Frankly I would not consider we were living in a free democratic society if that batshit crazy policy we’re introduced.
  • Options

nichomar said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

You mean Andrew Marr?

Of course, he is not Tory. He is married to Jackie Ashley who is the daughter of a Labour MP.
    Because all of our politics is driven by our parents-in-law?
  • Options
    eek said:

stodge said:

Why not give the band setting fully to local authorities. They could then set them to suit the local housing markets and political priorities.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

MikeL said:

You mean Andrew Marr?

Because all of our politics is driven by our parents-in-law?
    Of course not.

But, Andrew Marr is surrounded by solidly centre-left family. He is very comfortable with that worldview.

The thought that he is pro-Tory is ridiculous. FWIW, I expect he happily voted Labour in the days of Blair & Brown.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

nichomar said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

And you wonder why the Lib Dems are sinking without trace despite every opportunity offered to them...
    Why should you take tax revenue without offering people the opportunity for representation? I’m actually not sure if that is the lib dem view but is definitely the the labour view. It’s not offered reciprocally but it may be if the UK moved.
  • Options
    The Factcheck literally said CCHQ and labourmanifesto.co.uk literally says on its second line in big text "A WEBSITE BY THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY"
  • Options
    nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

nichomar said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

Why should you take tax revenue without offering people the opportunity for representation? I’m actually not sure if that is the lib dem view but is definitely the the labour view. It’s not offered reciprocally but it may be if the UK moved.
    Good luck in the doorsteps with this one.

My soft left leaning other half reacted with a “now that’s nuts” to this not ten minutes ago.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

nichomar said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

Rubbish. It shows a commitment to the place. It’s meant to be discriminatory between those with a commitment and those who do not or do not wish to apply ( fair enough if they don’t). Good. Frankly I would not consider we were living in a free democratic society if that batshit crazy policy we’re introduced.
    I have some sympathy with giving residents a vote at the most local level of elections. Why shouldn't non-citizen residents who pax taxes and contribute to the community in many other ways not have a say on what is important to that community?

I think the arguments become less valid as you move up the political system away from local issues into national issues.

Coincidentally, that was the position I found myself while in Virginia - I could vote or even run for office in the municipal elections, but was not eligible for either in county, state or federal elections.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,951
    nichomar said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

If you change the voting qualification from citizenship to tax paying, you open up a whole can of worms.

Should a millionaire paying 100k in tax a year have ten times the votes of someone paying 10k in tax? What about someone who pays no tax at all, because they are on benefits?

Citizenship = equality.
  • Options
    It's make or break for Labour really. If the manifesto doesn't move the dial, well nothing is going to - and frankly I'll be very sad about that.
  • Options
    TimT said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

I have some sympathy with giving residents a vote at the most local level of elections. Why shouldn't non-citizen residents who pax taxes and contribute to the community in many other ways not have a say on what is important to that community?

I think the arguments become less valid as you move up the political system away from local issues into national issues.

Coincidentally, that was the position I found myself while in Virginia - I could vote or even run for office in the municipal elections, but was not eligible for either in county, state or federal elections.
    I see your point. Personally I’d say no even at local level but I’m not going to die in the last ditch over the right to vote for the parish council if you lived here for ten years. However, I totally draw the line at Parliament because it sets the rules for everything.

Both the Libs and especially Labour today just bonkers. Bonkers. Get off the plane have the right to vote. Yeah right.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

nichomar said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

BluerBlue said:

Does that also mean taking the vote away from those who don't pay tax?
This discussion has been closed.