Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the latest YouGov is on the right lines the Tories are set

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

I have never read any Terry Pratchett. Mind you, I don’t read much fiction generally. What genre are they?

Jonathan Swift meets JRR Tolkien, with characters by PG Wodehouse and dialogue by Douglas Adams. Joseph Heller that's actually funny. Aaron Sorkin with elves. More quotable than Shakespeare. I may not have enough superlatives.

The books are set on the Discworld and are populated by elves, vampires, dwarfs, werewolves and humans, but they all talk like real people. Each book revolves around the problems of a small group or single individual as something bad happens and they work around a solution. Along the way the dialogue is peppery, the plots skip along, and the characters are well drawn. Most characters appear in more than one book and the society evolves from mediaeval times via Renaissance Italy to the early industrial revolution. By the end it is roundly stocked and the characters write themselves.

Forty one books. At one every six months, that's the next 20 years sorted out. You can thank me later... :)
    His non-Discworld books are worth reading too. The nomes trilogy is great. There are also some good recipes in the Discworld cookbook.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    edited November 2019
    viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

I have never read any Terry Pratchett. Mind you, I don’t read much fiction generally. What genre are they?

Jonathan Swift meets JRR Tolkien, with characters by PG Wodehouse and dialogue by Douglas Adams. Joseph Heller that's actually funny. Aaron Sorkin with elves. More quotable than Shakespeare. I may not have enough superlatives.

The books are set on the Discworld and are populated by elves, vampires, dwarfs, werewolves and humans, but they all talk like real people. Each book revolves around the problems of a small group or single individual as something bad happens and they work around a solution. Along the way the dialogue is peppery, the plots skip along, and the characters are well drawn. Most characters appear in more than one book and the society evolves from mediaeval times via Renaissance Italy to the early industrial revolution. By the end it is roundly stocked and the characters write themselves.

Forty one books. At one every six months, that's the next 20 years sorted out. You can thank me later... :)
    OK. Is there a starter book? Because much as I appreciate all the responses elves and vampires who talk like PG Wodehouse are not instantly appealing.

My all-time favourite modern - and recently deceased - writer is William Trevor, closely followed by John McGahern. Their worlds seem very different to Discworld.

Also who or what are/is Radiohead? This is said in a polite humble and uber-respectful, indeed grovelling, way as it seems to be important to the very wise and brilliant @rcs1000 (Is that enough grovelling? .)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    tyson said:

RobD said:

An interesting chart from the BBC using MORI data. Perhaps this won't be like 2017 after all:

https://c.files.bbci.co.uk/11EEE/production/_109345437_optimised-ipsosiss2-nc.png

That’s fascinating. I always forget about that index. What’s gone so right with the NHS?
    Oldies...their brains have gone...stupid fuckers cannot see that the Tories have buggered up the NHS and the geriatric social care system that they are so reliant on....
    I'd missed Tyson's nuanced and insightful analysis...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    edited November 2019

Disgusting, we need to get rid of our unelected rulers.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1191826302208282625

Last time I checked Queen EIizabeth II was our ruler not Prince Andrew and according to the latest YouGov she has an approval rating of 72% to just 20% for Andrew

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/politics/popularity/royalty/all.

Corbyn by contrast has an approval rating of 23% and Boris of 34%

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/politics/popularity/politicians-political-figures/all
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    dr_spyn said:
    Pithy
  • Options

egg said:

On who would make the best Prime Minister (Wales only):

B. Johnson: 41%
    J. Corbyn: 26%

via @YouGov, 31 Oct - 04 Nov

I think labour in Wales is tired and presides over failing NHS and education amongst other things

I really do not see much changing in the next month

In the end Corbyn may well see a poor GE result, but above all else he may well have facilitated brexit more than any other opposition politician, and on the way devastated the moderate sensible labour party that won three elections
    I am not entirely convinced Boris is the man to sweep Labour from Wales. Anecdotally speaking the Boris/Trump/NHS story is even more of a concern than Betsi Cadwalladr's shortcomings.
    That with respect is utter nonsense. The suffering many are experiencing with Betsi Cadwallader is real, is ongoing, and is causing great distrees for many. I had to wait 65 weeks for my bi-lateral hernia op and even now, in November, my wife and I, who both have priority, cannot secure an appointment for our flu jabs

The Boris/Trump/ NHS story is labour's attempt at weaponising the NHS at a time when Boris is more trusted on the NHS than Corbyn.

They are not remotely comparable
    Flu jabs are about £10 and 10 mins in major supermarkets or chemists. Good value if you are struggling to get an appointment.
    Ah Londoners .... the nearest major supermarket to where I live is 45 minutes away, on the other side of Wales.
    Sounds like a great opportunity to start your own supermarket!
    Well, gosh that is a Jacob Rees-Mogg of an answer. Let's try some more of this.

If you are dissatisfied with the fire service, it is a great opportunity to start your own fire brigade!

If you can't get a flu jab in the Welsh NHS, then a huge opportunity exists to create a new vaccination service!
    There are benefits to being rural or in a city. We get levels of congestion, pollution, stress, crime that are much worse. In exchange we get closer shops, chemists and quicker fire response times. Choose which you prefer but dont expect the best of both.

All I did was highlight flu jabs are easily available to the vast majority of the country, in case readers werent aware, in particular BigG who posted his concerns about it not being easily available on the NHS.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Freggles said:

Any recommendations for where to get a cheap suit?
    Have had M&S mostly in the past.
    No exclusive London tailors selling for £1000 please!

I had a good experience with a £30 suit from Tesco - lasted for years, though I did wonder uneasily whether it came fom a dodgy sweatshop. I once in a fit of extravagance bought a tailor-made suit for £700 - it lasted less long and was no more comfortable.

Tesco no longer seems to have them, but Sainsbury do:

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/c/men/men-all-suits
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I can see why rich, selfish people vote Tory....but one of the great tricks is how the Tory knobjobs manage to convince so many impoverished oldies to vote against their best interests....I have to hand it to them for having no shame though
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cookie said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

An interesting chart from the BBC using MORI data. Perhaps this won't be like 2017 after all:

https://c.files.bbci.co.uk/11EEE/production/_109345437_optimised-ipsosiss2-nc.png

That’s fascinating. I always forget about that index. What’s gone so right with the NHS?
    Oldies...their brains have gone...stupid fuckers cannot see that the Tories have buggered up the NHS and the geriatric social care system that they are so reliant on....
    Stupid fuckers would be anyone who believes Labours lies on health care.

We can see Wales and I certainly havent forgot the disasters in the NHS under the watch of Labour even whilst they were hosing money up the wall
  • Options

egg said:

I would say this sort of polling was relevant if Corbyns ratings were due to labour’s anti semitism under his watch. But I suspect it’s low because he’s crap. And during elections turds can be polished.

But that is yougov 4 nov. Let’s keep an eye on that one for movement in the coming weeks. If the polishing of the turd can’t close that gap it helps this betting site call it before the result?
    I think labour in Wales is tired and presides over failing NHS and education amongst other things

In the end Corbyn may well see a poor GE result, but above all else he may well have facilitated brexit more than any other opposition politician, and on the way devastated the moderate sensible labour party that won three elections
    I am not entirely convinced Boris is the man to sweep Labour from Wales. Anecdotally speaking the Boris/Trump/NHS story is even more of a concern than Betsi Cadwalladr's shortcomings.
    That with respect is utter nonsense. The suffering many are experiencing with Betsi Cadwallader is real, is ongoing, and is causing great distrees for many. I had to wait 65 weeks for my bi-lateral hernia op and even now, in November, my wife and I, who both have priority, cannot secure an appointment for our flu jabs

The Boris/Trump/ NHS story is labour's attempt at weaponising the NHS at a time when Boris is more trusted on the NHS than Corbyn.

Flu jabs are about £10 and 10 mins in major supermarkets or chemists. Good value if you are struggling to get an appointment.
    Ah Londoners .... the nearest major supermarket to where I live is 45 minutes away, on the other side of Wales.
    Why should my wife and I pay £20 for free flu jabs
    To stay healthy? You can afford it and it is clearly better than not having them if there are problems getting it through the NHS. Ideally it should be free and simple but if its not it is £20 and will keep you and your wife healthier.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Cookie said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

It becomes really quite incisive when I'm watching Chelski play football...and polishing off a very mice Malbec scoffing Haribos....
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

RobD said:

The chart shows that Labour should campaign hard on the fact the Tories cut 20,000 police (and are only promising to recruit new police now that there's an election) and the LDs should campaign hard on the way immigration has dried up, hence causing worker shortages in healthcare, agriculture, etc.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
  • Options
    tyson said:

I can see why rich, selfish people vote Tory....but one of the great tricks is how the Tory knobjobs manage to convince so many impoverished oldies to vote against their best interests....I have to hand it to them for having no shame though

They believe in wealth creation, national sovereignty and law and order.

Plenty of rich people will not vote Tory too but will vote LD or even Labour, class is no longer key in voting intention
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD won't be happy with Transport for London's proposed changes to Central Line trains serving Epping Forest DC:
    https://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/central-line-to-reduce-services-between-woodford-and-hainault-1-6348464

Under the planned timetable, most of the current Woodford via Hainault services will become a shuttle between Woodford and Hainault, calling at Grange Hill, Chigwell, and Roding Valley.
    The current eight car full-length trains will also become four-car shuttles.
    Customers that need to head into central London should change at Woodford or at Hainault.
    There will also be a reduction in services between Debden, Theydon Bois and Epping stations by two trains per hour, although TfL says this is to maintain the frequency of services between Woodford and Loughton.

I have already signed the petition against the service reduction
    Where can I sign the petition? I was travelling on this service recently.
    https://www.change.org/p/transport-for-london-stop-the-reduction-of-peak-time-central-line-service-from-epping-theydon-bois-and-debden?recruiter=364989148&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_petition
    I signed just now!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

OK. Is there a starter book? Because much as I appreciate all the responses elves and vampires who talk like PG Wodehouse are not instantly appealing.

My all-time favourite modern - and recently deceased - writer is William Trevor, closely followed by John McGahern. Their worlds seem very different to Discworld.

Also who or what are/is Radiohead? This is said in a polite humble and uber-respectful, indeed grovelling, way as it seems to be important to the very wise and brilliant @rcs1000 (Is that enough grovelling? .)
    Start with "Mort"

Death comes to us all, when he came to Mort he offered him a job ...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

The perils of a female character mood swings, lunar cycles, menstrual cycles, as Angua turns into a werewolf.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

Freggles said:

Any recommendations for where to get a cheap suit?
    Have had M&S mostly in the past.
    No exclusive London tailors selling for £1000 please!

I had a good experience with a £30 suit from Tesco - lasted for years, though I did wonder uneasily whether it came fom a dodgy sweatshop. I once in a fit of extravagance bought a tailor-made suit for £700 - it lasted less long and was no more comfortable.

Tesco no longer seems to have them, but Sainsbury do:

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/c/men/men-all-suits
    There might be a degree of NPxMP about this!

Buy a decent suit.
    (If you have the time then market stalls will have wonderful tailoring available for no money at all - but does it fit)
  • Options
    Dadge said:

RobD said:

The chart shows that Labour should campaign hard on the fact the Tories cut 20,000 police (and are only promising to recruit new police now that there's an election) and the LDs should campaign hard on the way immigration has dried up, hence causing worker shortages in healthcare, agriculture, etc.
    Yes, fine, whatever. But why have perceptions shifted on the NHS? There has to be a reason.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    rcs1000 said:

I've had to ban @Scott_P for being rude about Radiohead. I hope you will all learn from this.

Are you David Cameron?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited November 2019

There are benefits to being rural or in a city. We get levels of congestion, pollution, stress, crime that are much worse. In exchange we get closer shops, chemists and quicker fire response times. Choose which you prefer but dont expect the best of both.

All I did was highlight flu jabs are easily available to the vast majority of the country, in case readers werent aware, in particular BigG who posted his concerns about it not being easily available on the NHS.

I think BigG is quite right to expect a decent level of service from the Welsh NHS.
    This includes a flu jab for himself and his wife.

Many people who do not live in the country completely underestimate the difficulty of getting to a bank or a large supermarket.

So, I don't think your suggestion -- which was no doubt well meant -- is actually practical in many areas of Wales (or rural Scotland, for that matter).

The problem may not arise in Scotland, because the SNP are in Government and they seem a good deal more competent than Welsh Labour.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

dr_spyn said:
    Pithy
    And utterly OTT.

Much as I loathe Corbyn he is not proposing a famine or mass killings.

There are plenty of genuine criticisms to be made of Labour policies. Hyperbole turns me off. Others too, I hope.

(Anyway, Boris, now that you’re focused on Russian influences, about this report you won’t release? Why is that, exactly..... ?)
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Dadge said:

Right, here's my current list of seats I think will change hands.

Lab>Con Peterborough Bedford Ashfield Bassetlaw Lincoln DerbyN Kensington Southgate Auckland StocktonS Crewe Barrow WarringtonS Canterbury Stroud DudleyN Newcastle WolverhamptonSW StokeN Keighley ColneV Penistone Wakefield RotherV Grimsby Wrexham ValeClwyd Gower
    Con>LD StAlbans RichmondPark Cheadle Southport HazelGrove Lewes Winchester StIves Cheltenham DevonN
    Lab>LD Cambridge Hallam LeedsNW
    Con>SNP Stirling Gordon Ayr Ochil Angus
    Lab>SNP Rutherglen Kirkcaldy GlasgowNE Midlothian Coatbridge
    SNP>LD FifeNE
    Lab>PC YnysMon
    PC>LD Ceredigion

Result: Con 331 Lab 225 SNP 44 LD 27 Others 23

Add Guildford to LD gains. It looked likely before Milton announced she will stand as an indie. It now looks very likely.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Hysterical nonsense from Bozo in his fan magazine . What utter drivel .
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I saw that in the Metro this morning and thought of you oddly enough.

I use the District Line but I see how crowded the Central Line trains are at Mile End so I dread to think what a reduction in the service will mean.

The Jubilee is currently unuseable at peak hours because a number of trains are out of service being repaired and TfL are effectively running the off-peak service all day so you can imagine how crowded trains are at Stratford, West Ham and Canary Wharf.
    Good job you dont get swr and 27 strikes in December

And then the jubilee line too!
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

RobD said:

Alistair said:

That's pretty shit

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1191732381306277890?s=19

Original interview is in the next tweet.

The Tories have learnt from the 2017 Momentum campaign.
    It's probably going to get 10x as many views because of this. I'm going to call it red bus syndrome.
    Yep. I am afraid that it's a case of 'as ye sow, so ye shall reap'. The Labour/Momentum videos attacking Theresa May in 2017 were absolutely vile, and went largely under the radar because they used Facebook to distribute them.
    TOPPING said:

Brom said:

blueblue said:

kinabalu said:

JRM lead story on ITV.

Was that on Dom’s grid for today?

It's terrible. One of those that gets worse rather than better with context and sober consideration.
    JRM isn't going to lose the Tories a single vote amongst those who actually vote Conservative, as opposed to those who pretend to.
    I was thinking this, amazed it's still in the news. A lot of people will quietly agree with Mogg and if any Tories are appalled are they going to vote lib dem or bxp instead? Of course not. Compare this with the anti Semitic candidate in Coventry who will actually lose Labour voters.
    People won't agree with Rees-Mogg, but they might wonder why, out of all of the horrible, needless, tragic deaths out there (and there are many) the Grenfell deaths have been somehow given a quasi religious significance.

A significance that is such that any mention of them that isn;t in hushed reverential, penitent tones is a kind of blasphemy.
    Because the narrative is heartless Tory bastards living in the wealthiest borough in the country leaving the poor and helpless to die because they don't matter.

Is why.
    rcs1000 said:

I've had to ban @Scott_P for being rude about Radiohead. I hope you will all learn from this.

How will we find out what’s happening on Twitter?
  • Options
    I some how doubt TSE gets his suits from Tesco.....
  • Options
    The Conservatives badly need to get a grip with their campaign.

You don't allow loose canon on the media. Bridgen and Rees-Mogg are too busy knocking on doors in their constituencies to speak to anyone. Sorry - we can offer some people with two brain cells to rub together if you like.

This is basic, and the Tory campaign need to get control fast or that opinion poll lead will mean sod all on 12th December.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

70% of Conservatives support a pact with the Brexit Party.

https://twitter.com/goodwinmj/status/1191828990836781057?s=21

Saying they'll support a pact is pretty meaningless when the terms of that pact are unknown. And since Farage has up to now stated that the price of a pact is Boris has to abandon his deal, the cost of a pact is clearly too high even if people want it.
    They're under the impression that the Brexit party wants Brexit.

Actually Brexit party voters, members and candidates probably do.

But Farage doesn't.
    Without a flood of members and candidates from BXP repudiating the stance that has been taken I don't know that we can be sure their voters do not agree with Farage. There's been a trickle of such people, but not that many it seems. I wonder whether if it is in part because they think the Tories will win regardless, but if so that is a dangerous game.
    You mean they agree with Farage's official position of wanting No Deal Brexit rather than Farage's actual position of being anti-Brexit.
    Yes

• Options
    This thread has gone out of fashion like a cheap burtons suit.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD won't be happy with Transport for London's proposed changes to Central Line trains serving Epping Forest DC:
    https://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/central-line-to-reduce-services-between-woodford-and-hainault-1-6348464

Under the planned timetable, most of the current Woodford via Hainault services will become a shuttle between Woodford and Hainault, calling at Grange Hill, Chigwell, and Roding Valley.
    The current eight car full-length trains will also become four-car shuttles.
    Customers that need to head into central London should change at Woodford or at Hainault.
    There will also be a reduction in services between Debden, Theydon Bois and Epping stations by two trains per hour, although TfL says this is to maintain the frequency of services between Woodford and Loughton.

Where can I sign the petition? I was travelling on this service recently.
    https://www.change.org/p/transport-for-london-stop-the-reduction-of-peak-time-central-line-service-from-epping-theydon-bois-and-debden?recruiter=364989148&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_petition
    I signed just now!
    Good
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    edited November 2019
    Top item on the 10pm news but BBC reporting clear as mud about the Ross England/ Alun Cairns thing.
  • Options

I some how doubt TSE gets his suits from Tesco.....

Hugo Boss, Moss Bross, and the occasional bespoke suit in London.

My favourite suit is a morning suit.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Top item on the 10pm news but BBC reporting clear as mud about the Ross England/ Alun Cairns thing.

Anti Tory BBC bias, the court case was nothing to do with the election campaign
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Radiohead are a pop group who specialise in dirges and other funeral styles of music.... or is that Coldplay?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    edited November 2019
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Whilst the series is, for the most part, chronological, there tend to be sequences of books with specific main characters in specific locations, my favourite being the Watch sequence, which started with Guards Guards, though personally I'd start with the second Men-at-Arms. They were followed by Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Element,Night Watch and Thud, and are among the best in the series to see the setting grow and develop from mere parody into something more. Feet of Clay was the first Discworld book I ever read.

However, I genuinely think one of the best ones to start with to see if you like the style (other than that it has chapters, which most of the series do not) is Going Postal, as it starts off a new sequence, with a main character almost designed to not accidentally drag in main characters from other books and have it become about them. It's about a con man being tasked to revitalise a postal service!

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

Anti Tory BBC bias, the court case was nothing to do with the election campaign
    BBC seems to have a new campaigning reporter too.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Dadge said:

RobD said:

Yes, fine, whatever. But why have perceptions shifted on the NHS? There has to be a reason.
    I think that a lot of Brexiters who cited the NHS as their #1 concern have switched to being more concerned about Brexit. It's already clear that Labour's trying to refocus them on the NHS.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

Dadge said:

Lab>Con Peterborough Bedford Ashfield Bassetlaw Lincoln DerbyN Kensington Southgate Auckland StocktonS Crewe Barrow WarringtonS Canterbury Stroud DudleyN Newcastle WolverhamptonSW StokeN Keighley ColneV Penistone Wakefield RotherV Grimsby Wrexham ValeClwyd Gower
    Con>LD StAlbans RichmondPark Cheadle Southport HazelGrove Lewes Winchester StIves Cheltenham DevonN
    SNP>LD FifeNE
    Lab>PC YnysMon
    PC>LD Ceredigion

Add Guildford to LD gains. It looked likely before Milton announced she will stand as an indie. It now looks very likely.
    Lets do some analysis on your claim.

In 2017 the Conservative majority in Guildford was over 17k and 30%.

Now can any of the PB experts tell us what is the highest swing the LibDems have achieved in any constituency against the Conservatives in a GE ?
  • Options
    This thread has been prorogued.

Move along, nothing to post .....
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

egg said:

I would say this sort of polling was relevant if Corbyns ratings were due to labour’s anti semitism under his watch. But I suspect it’s low because he’s crap. And during elections turds can be polished.

But that is yougov 4 nov. Let’s keep an eye on that one for movement in the coming weeks. If the polishing of the turd can’t close that gap it helps this betting site call it before the result?

Convenience? To take pressure off the NHS? Is a sum as small as £20 actually visible to someone who does all those cruises?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I got to know Danny when he was the CEO of West London Zone (my foundation was one of his cornerstone investors). He’s a good man, although not sure he’s really cut out for politics. In fairness I know Rupert Harrison (he chairs a board I sit on) better and rate him highly.

(For the benefit of @Beibheirli_C , Devizes is a little outside my family’s patch but it’s close enough that we like to watch what’s going on with interest)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

egg said:

Convenience? To take pressure off the NHS? Is a sum as small as £20 actually visible to someone who does all those cruises?
    But, Corbyn wants to stop this choice altogether. It is privatisation of the NHS

Adequately shows how stupid his NHS policy is
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Radiohead are a pop group who specialise in dirges and other funeral styles of music.... or is that Coldplay?
    Jesus Christ! Never confuse Radiohead with Coldplay. The former are nor necessarily everyone's cip of tea but one of the most innovativeandcreative musical outfits of thw past three decades. The latter is music for people who don't like music.

(sorry, a few bonfire night pints in and feeling unnecessarily combative... =
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

==Betting Post==

Shadsy is offering 33% return on your money, risk free *

Berwickshire Roxburgh and Selkirk
    Con @ 1.33

BRS is the last to fall, barring a Lib Dem revival that would make Lazarus look like a lightweight and is available @51

[*] Not Risk Free

I've had a graph from John Lamont through the door today, showing the 2015 GE result, not the 2017 result (where he won comfortably).

Lots of pictures of Nicola Sturgeon to scare the No voters.

Nothing from the Fib Dems yet.
    Does it also have Ruth Davidson on it?

Few things would make me laugh more than all the Lib Dem voters who put Lamont in the seat switching back and letting the SNP candidate through the middle but that's not going to happen.

1.33 seems insanely generous for a seat that will only fall if the SCons are wiped out to zero seats.
    I opened it in the expectation they'd still be trying to sell Ruthy, but sadly, just pictures of John Lamont 'in action', and some claims about his impact e.g. Fought bank branch closures (our local branch closed anyway), claiming credit for the work of the local Rail Action group in 'delivering' a railway station (the land hasn't even been acquired yet to build the station, and transport is devolved to Holyrood).

2 x pics of Nicola 'We Said NO' etc
    Full page of 'Lab will allow another Indyref'

So far, so standard SCon.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

alb1on said:

Dadge said:

SNP>LD FifeNE
    Lab>PC YnysMon
    PC>LD Ceredigion

Lets do some analysis on your claim.

In 2017 the Conservative majority in Guildford was over 17k and 30%.

Now can any of the PB experts tell us what is the highest swing the LibDems have achieved in any constituency against the Conservatives in a GE ?
    Let me give you some local information since I live in Guildford;

The Conservative vote collapsed at the May locals, with all but 9 of their seats going to LDs and local pressure groups.
    The local pressure groups are backing the LDs and are concentrated in the (previously) heavily Conservative villages. Their rise is driven by the local plan forced through by the Conservative council before their demise in March, which obliterates swathes of green belt.
    Even before the local plan fiasco the Conservative party locally was shredded by division and scandal. The previous council leader having been forced from office after his mistress (another Conservative councillor) was found to have pretended to be a barrister and was charged and convicted.
    The local Conservative party has been subject to an unusual degree of entryism by ex-UKIP members (and worse). This has driven some long standing members from the party.
    And, for what it is worth, Milton was popular with the old, long standing party membership. Many are very unhappy about her treatment.

And, of course, the LDs held this seat before Milton. They now run the council. So they are in a very different position to 2017 (before the local Conservative implosion and the defenestration of Milton). So they have a long established base and now have every assistance possible from the Conservatives - both local and national.

Guildford is not a seat to assess based on a national swing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Whilst the series is, for the most part, chronological, there tend to be sequences of books with specific main characters in specific locations, my favourite being the Watch sequence, which started with Guards Guards, though personally I'd start with the second Men-at-Arms. They were followed by Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Element,Night Watch and Thud, and are among the best in the series to see the setting grow and develop from mere parody into something more. Feet of Clay was the first Discworld book I ever read.

However, I genuinely think one of the best ones to start with to see if you like the style (other than that it has chapters, which most of the series do not) is Going Postal, as it starts off a new sequence, with a main character almost designed to not accidentally drag in main characters from other books and have it become about them. It's about a con man being tasked to revitalise a postal service!

Yws, I'd agree. The first one he write is The Colour of Magic, which was funny but he hadn't really mastered plot development - it took him a few books to hit his stride. Going Postal would be a good start - you don't miss out by doing them out of order. Witches Abroad might also be a good start. The second of the witches books, but again, he'd really starywd to hit his stride by then. If it's relevant, the witches books are set somewhere which is a wee bit Cumbrian...
  • Options

Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

That was/is a shocker of a poll for Labour.

Net gains for Con in Lab's (supposedly) strongest area in the whole country indicates Jezza is in big, big trouble in this election, IMO.

I had coffee with an old friend this morning

He was the most ardent Remainer I know (my source on the French government’s tactics and views).

He’s come to the conclusion that Brexit needs to happen and hence will vote for Boris

(Just for @Beibheirli_C , he is the leading light of Somerset’s Old Family - it looks like the Families are unifying behind a position at last)
    My family is as old as yours is Charles. We both have bloodlines and DNA that stretch back to the beginning of life on Earth (or else we would not be here)

Old Families are not to do with age - Douglas-Hume put it well when he referred to Harold Wilson as the 14th Mr Wilson

This particular family has lived in Somerset for a thousand years, and inherited the roles and responsibilities of the Seymour family In caring for the people of the region
  • Options

Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

Net gains for Con in Lab's (supposedly) strongest area in the whole country indicates Jezza is in big, big trouble in this election, IMO.

He was the most ardent Remainer I know (my source on the French government’s tactics and views).

He’s come to the conclusion that Brexit needs to happen and hence will vote for Boris.
    I can understand that, and have toyed with the idea of voting Conservative after all for that reason (the last thing we want is another hung-parliament mess).

But then, having finally cornered himself into getting a deal which one could live with, thus making it possible to consider voting for him, Boris then wrecks it by driving out some of the best and most level-headed senior figures in the party, and making another brain-dead promise on the length of the transition, which could once again lead to a no-deal crash out, and certainly will lead to a repeat of the psychodrama and of uncertainty damaging the economy again. In which case, a hung parliament begins to look like the lesser nightmare.
    Hammond and the others were offered a path back. They rejected it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    Charles said:

Thanks to @AaronBell4NUL, Conservative candidate for #NewcastleUnderLyme, for signing our new pledge.

✔️#BackBoris’ deal to #GetBrexitDone

✔️Back ‘No Deal’ if Withdrawal Agreement still not approved by 31st January

#StandUp4Brexit https://t.co/OSyMB3P65s

What an idiot. No deal is just stupidity of the highest order.
    He’s one of our most valued posters
    His signing of that pledge is a deeply foolish act.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282
    edited November 2019

egg said:

How very dare you!

I have seen the worst and best of the NHS in Wales. Experience suggests the situation across the Severn Bridge is not any better. That is not my point. There is genuine concern that Johnson will compromise the NHS to furnish a trade deal with the US. Gove has said that won't happen, but do you believe him?

There is also genuine anger over Ross England in Wales. That is not to say the Tories won't achieve their landslide.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

He’s come to the conclusion that Brexit needs to happen and hence will vote for Boris

(Just for @Beibheirli_C , he is the leading light of Somerset’s Old Family - it looks like the Families are unifying behind a position at last)
    The Families? Who are they?
    The senior squires in the main, although there are a few Earls as well.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Ishmael_Z said:

egg said:

Excellent - so your happy with private healthcare and private education as both take pressure off public services.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    Charles said:

Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

My family is as old as yours is Charles. We both have bloodlines and DNA that stretch back to the beginning of life on Earth (or else we would not be here)

Old Families are not to do with age - Douglas-Hume put it well when he referred to Harold Wilson as the 14th Mr Wilson

This particular family has lived in Somerset for a thousand years, and inherited the roles and responsibilities of the Seymour family In caring for the people of the region
    What a load of tosh.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

If the Tories do make gains in London - and Wales, and the North - and losses in the home counties - and form a government - then it could be the most geographically balanced party in power we've seen for some time. A lot of ifs there, mind you.

Especially if they can hold off the SNP too.
    Highly unlikely
    I'm going Tories 6, LDs 5, Labour zero, SNP 48
    What's your thinking this time round?
    I am thinking around 50 - 51
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    alb1on said:

And, of course, the LDs held this seat before Milton. They now run the council. So they are in a very different position to 2017 (before the local Conservative implosion and the defenestration of Milton). So they have a long established base and now have every assistance possible from the Conservatives - both local and national.

Guildford is not a seat to assess based on a national swing.

To be precise, the LDs lead a cross-party coalition - the same position as my patch in Waverley next door. It's a strong starting point, but the local elections and the Euros were probably the high-water mark. It's not impossible that they'll gain it, but...
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    If a pollster asks me how I think Boris Johnson is doing as leader of his Party, am I meant to answer 'Badly' because I think no Party leader should be a pathological liar, or 'Well' because I think the electorate believes his lies?
This discussion has been closed.