Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the latest YouGov is on the right lines the Tories are set

Comments

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    rcs1000 said:

Oh, LibDem seats is the gift that keeps on giving.
    Of the defectors, if absolutely everything went perfectly for them, they'd hold Torbay and South Cambs. Everything else is a certain loss
    Oh yeah. And everything is not going perfectly.

Hmmmmmmm Is that Totnes, Robert? Or has there suddenly been another defection from the Tories, in Torbay?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

I have never read any Terry Pratchett. Mind you, I don’t read much fiction generally. What genre are they?

Mostly comedic fantasy with Discworld, and with elements which are the written equivalent of slapstick (and you must love puns). Which puts off a lot of people right there, but without trying to be too pretentious about it, as Sir Terry would surely not approve, the very best of his stuff is thoughtful, tightly plotted and very witty, with great settings and characterisation, with some being adventure stories, some political thrillers, mystery novel, and some can get pretty deep and dark.

The great ones make me feel like they are saying something important, whilst still first and foremost just telling a great story in a funny way, rather than some award winning novel which sells itself on its deep philsophical insights. I much prefer feeling like I am gleaning insights from a book which is just trying to be funny, rather than go in expecting some deep message.

Night's Watch probably relies on knowing the backstory of the characters from earlier books a bit for some, but I'd rank it is a truly great novel - intense, moving and hilarious. Going Postal was great for newbies, or The Truth, both being almost standalone compared to earlier books.
    I only read making money which I really enjoyed, partly because of the fun it makes of the legal profession.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

BBC: The Labour Party says if it wins the general election it will renegotiate once again so a third Brexit deal.

JCJ: Honestly spoken, I don’t think that this is a realistic approach.

#StandUp4Brexit https://t.co/C8q25WVFth

Let me ask you a direct question. Back in the summer you were vehemently opposed to leaving the EU without a WA and consistently slated Boris Johnson for threatening so to do.

Now I read you endorsing Aaron Bell whose second commitment seems to be we leave the EU without a WA on 31/1/20 if Boris's WA cannot get through Parliament.

So, question 1 - do you think if the next parliament is unable or unwilling to pass Boris Johnson's WA that the UK should leave without a Deal on January 31st?

Question 2 - if a non-Conservative Government brought the Johnson WA back to the Commons but with a second referendum attached, do you think Conservative MPs should support that and campaign for the WA in a subsequent referendum or do you think the Conservatives should oppose their own WA?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,049
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh, LibDem seats is the gift that keeps on giving.
    Of the defectors, if absolutely everything went perfectly for them, they'd hold Torbay and South Cambs. Everything else is a certain loss
    Oh yeah. And everything is not going perfectly.

Hmmmmmmm Is that Totnes, Robert? Or has there suddenly been another defection from the Tories, in Torbay?
    thats the one
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Political Betting: I thoroughly enjoy the work of an author who rails against structural inequality, especially that of inherited wealth.

Also Political Betting: inheritance tax is worse than Hitler.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

I have never read any Terry Pratchett. Mind you, I don’t read much fiction generally. What genre are they?

Science fantasy/comedy. And some of the sharpest observations on human nature that you will find in writing anywhere.
    https://twitter.com/SomeRandomG33k/status/1189555401022267393
    That very analogy was originally in Dorothy L Sayers' Murder Must Advertise.
    I think Marx was probably there before both of them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    Freggles said:

Any recommendations for where to get a cheap suit?
    Have had M&S mostly in the past.
    No exclusive London tailors selling for £1000 please!

I used to get mine from House of Fraser. Don't know if that is still viable!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Science fantasy/comedy. And some of the sharpest observations on human nature that you will find in writing anywhere.
    Have you read the Science of Discworld? Very witty mix of a Discworld story combined with examining 'Roundworld' science from the Big Bang, through evolution to space travel. Not your typical Discworld story but very good.
    Yes, I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,049
    I've had to ban @Scott_P for being rude about Radiohead. I hope you will all learn from this.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    kle4 said:

BBC: The Labour Party says if it wins the general election it will renegotiate once again so a third Brexit deal.

Oh the hilarity some will have that Juncker will be an authority to be listened to now. But he is probably right, but the realism of the approach only needs to survive until December 12th. After that if it is not realistic then gosh darn it turns out Labour will have no choice but to campaign for Remain - how very different to what 90% of their members and 95% of their MPs were going to do anyway.
    But not 95% of their voters.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    Freggles said:

Ted Baker outlet is good value. They are trying to clear out their overstock and are well marked down and decent quality. I recently got a much admired suit for 70% off at £225.

https://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Mens/Outlet/Clothing/c/m_outlet_clothing?int_cmpid=_m_mn_outlet_clothing

Extra discount at present too.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    rcs1000 said:

I've had to ban @Scott_P for being rude about Radiohead. I hope you will all learn from this.

Any reason will do
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There's a strong correlation between people who are rude about Radiohead and also like pizzas with pineapples on them.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

kle4 said:

Oh the hilarity some will have that Juncker will be an authority to be listened to now. But he is probably right, but the realism of the approach only needs to survive until December 12th. After that if it is not realistic then gosh darn it turns out Labour will have no choice but to campaign for Remain - how very different to what 90% of their members and 95% of their MPs were going to do anyway.
    But not 95% of their voters.
    In this scenario Labour are head of a minority government, worrying about their voters would be a problem for another day. If leavers want to avoid that scenario so they don't need to punish labour for acting so, then they should vote Tory. If they don't of course Labour will disappoint the leavers
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    rcs1000 said:

Nothing less would do other than banning a poster who was rude about Radiohead
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Somebody ought to ban you for smirking about the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    come on Ajax....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347
    edited November 2019
    stodge said:

Let me ask you a direct question. Back in the summer you were vehemently opposed to leaving the EU without a WA and consistently slated Boris Johnson for threatening so to do.

Now I read you endorsing Aaron Bell whose second commitment seems to be we leave the EU without a WA on 31/1/20 if Boris's WA cannot get through Parliament.

So, question 1 - do you think if the next parliament is unable or unwilling to pass Boris Johnson's WA that the UK should leave without a Deal on January 31st?

Question 2 - if a non-Conservative Government brought the Johnson WA back to the Commons but with a second referendum attached, do you think Conservative MPs should support that and campaign for the WA in a subsequent referendum or do you think the Conservatives should oppose their own WA?
    Question 1 -

Like previously I believe it has to be on the table for the EU to take it seriously. However, I do not support no deal and in the end I expect an extension will be agreed

Question 2 -

If a referendum were to be proposed I see no way no deal would be off the table in view of TBP likely gaining 5 million voters but I would expect the party to support the WA
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

There's a strong correlation between people who are rude about Radiohead and also like pizzas with pineapples on them.
    My lips are sealed...
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Tories really love snapping defeat from the jaws of victory, dont they?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Have you read the Science of Discworld? Very witty mix of a Discworld story combined with examining 'Roundworld' science from the Big Bang, through evolution to space travel. Not your typical Discworld story but very good.
    The section on evolution is fantastic.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

If you know your dimensions, Macy’s online can have a fair selection at decent enough prices and often has sales on (though NB you may have VAT to pay).
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    nunu2 said:

They're smashing it in the polls, not sure if a dispute in the Devizes conservative association will cut through nationally but you never know!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Political Betting: I thoroughly enjoy the work of an author who rails against structural inequality, especially that of inherited wealth.

Also Political Betting: inheritance tax is worse than Hitler.

People can enjoy a piece of art without ascribing to or agreeing with all the messages or themes it uses.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    That Ziyech is one hell of a player.

• Options

Telegraph on Lab's Green Deal:

"For instance, the £250bn estimated cost of installing loft insulation, double glazing and renewable, low-carbon technologies in all the UK’s 27m homes – or an average of £9,300 per house – will come £60bn from the state to pay for the lowest income households, and the balance from the rest of us via interest-free government loans to be repaid out of the supposed savings we make on our energy bills.

Simples. Now why did no one think of that before?

Because it’s laughably unworkable in a free society, that’s why."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/11/05/labours-green-new-deal-no-just-puerile-delusional-nonsense-dressed/

Actually, I am pretty sure it has been tried. There was some kind of green scheme a few years involving boilers, iirc, or possibly insulation, where the householder was loaned the money and paid back through saved energy bills.

I think about 300 people signed up across whole of UK.

How many houses already have insulation and double glazing ?

And do houses still get built without them ?
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Well in fairness nationally the defeat is likely to occur because of BXP more than the Tories themselves, and in Devizes I very much doubt victory's jaws will be empty at the end of this.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

==Betting Post==

Shadsy is offering 33% return on your money, risk free *

Berwickshire Roxburgh and Selkirk
    Con @ 1.33

BRS is the last to fall, barring a Lib Dem revival that would make Lazarus look like a lightweight and is available @51

[*] Not Risk Free

I've had a graph from John Lamont through the door today, showing the 2015 GE result, not the 2017 result (where he won comfortably).

Lots of pictures of Nicola Sturgeon to scare the No voters.

Nothing from the Fib Dems yet.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

If you have a Slaters near you then go to Slaters.

They are superb.

I went into Slaters, strode up to the nearest assistant and said "I am getting married and would like a light silver grey suit, now the difficulty is I am six two but with a thirty two inch waste and long arms and a narrow chest so it is difficult to find stuff to fit me."

Without even moving his feet or breaking eye contact with me the assistant reached his right hand into the racks and pulled out a light silver grey suit with a 32 inch waist on the trousers and extra long sleeves on the narrow chested jacket and said "will this do?"

It did.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019

"For instance, the £250bn estimated cost of installing loft insulation, double glazing and renewable, low-carbon technologies in all the UK’s 27m homes – or an average of £9,300 per house – will come £60bn from the state to pay for the lowest income households, and the balance from the rest of us via interest-free government loans to be repaid out of the supposed savings we make on our energy bills.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/11/05/labours-green-new-deal-no-just-puerile-delusional-nonsense-dressed/

Actually, I am pretty sure it has been tried. There was some kind of green scheme a few years involving boilers, iirc, or possibly insulation, where the householder was loaned the money and paid back through saved energy bills.

Many houses (mine included) can’t have cavity wall insulation (not effectively anyway, without major works). What happens to me? Am I immune from the imposed loan or do I have to do really major works at my own cost?
  • Options

egg said:

On who would make the best Prime Minister (Wales only):

B. Johnson: 41%
    J. Corbyn: 26%

via @YouGov, 31 Oct - 04 Nov

I would say this sort of polling was relevant if Corbyns ratings were due to labour’s anti semitism under his watch. But I suspect it’s low because he’s crap. And during elections turds can be polished.

But that is yougov 4 nov. Let’s keep an eye on that one for movement in the coming weeks. If the polishing of the turd can’t close that gap it helps this betting site call it before the result?
    I think labour in Wales is tired and presides over failing NHS and education amongst other things

I really do not see much changing in the next month

In the end Corbyn may well see a poor GE result, but above all else he may well have facilitated brexit more than any other opposition politician, and on the way devastated the moderate sensible labour party that won three elections
    I am not entirely convinced Boris is the man to sweep Labour from Wales. Anecdotally speaking the Boris/Trump/NHS story is even more of a concern than Betsi Cadwalladr's shortcomings.
    That with respect is utter nonsense. The suffering many are experiencing with Betsi Cadwallader is real, is ongoing, and is causing great distrees for many. I had to wait 65 weeks for my bi-lateral hernia op and even now, in November, my wife and I, who both have priority, cannot secure an appointment for our flu jabs

The Boris/Trump/ NHS story is labour's attempt at weaponising the NHS at a time when Boris is more trusted on the NHS than Corbyn.

They are not remotely comparable
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Now 2 - 4 with Chelsea penalty and Ajax down to 9
  • Options

Alistair said:

==Betting Post==

Con @ 1.33

BRS is the last to fall, barring a Lib Dem revival that would make Lazarus look like a lightweight and is available @51

[*] Not Risk Free

I've had a graph from John Lamont through the door today, showing the 2015 GE result, not the 2017 result (where he won comfortably).

Does it also have Ruth Davidson on it?

Few things would make me laugh more than all the Lib Dem voters who put Lamont in the seat switching back and letting the SNP candidate through the middle but that's not going to happen.

1.33 seems insanely generous for a seat that will only fall if the SCons are wiped out to zero seats.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Alistair said:

==Betting Post==

Con @ 1.33

[*] Not Risk Free

It's close to being risk free. I can't think of any way the Tories will lose that seat. (Don't blame me if it happens though, lol).
  • Options
    the referee is a joker@stamfordbridge
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Now 2 - 4 with Chelsea penalty and Ajax down to 9
    Remarkable game!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    70% of Conservatives support a pact with the Brexit Party.

https://twitter.com/goodwinmj/status/1191828990836781057?s=21
  • Options
    Next steps for Dems following the poll of chances vs Trump:

"Pete Buttigieg, arguably the best positioned to take advantage of this moment, would reassure Democrats who are understandably nervous about his lack of experience."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/05/opinion/trump-democrats-2020.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
  • Options
    4-4
  • Options
    Chelsea 4
    Ajax 4
  • Options
    scammy, jammy Chelski twats
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

@HYUFD won't be happy with Transport for London's proposed changes to Central Line trains serving Epping Forest DC:
    https://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/central-line-to-reduce-services-between-woodford-and-hainault-1-6348464

Under the planned timetable, most of the current Woodford via Hainault services will become a shuttle between Woodford and Hainault, calling at Grange Hill, Chigwell, and Roding Valley.
    The current eight car full-length trains will also become four-car shuttles.
    Customers that need to head into central London should change at Woodford or at Hainault.
    There will also be a reduction in services between Debden, Theydon Bois and Epping stations by two trains per hour, although TfL says this is to maintain the frequency of services between Woodford and Loughton.

I have already signed the petition against the service reduction
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

egg said:

I would say this sort of polling was relevant if Corbyns ratings were due to labour’s anti semitism under his watch. But I suspect it’s low because he’s crap. And during elections turds can be polished.

But that is yougov 4 nov. Let’s keep an eye on that one for movement in the coming weeks. If the polishing of the turd can’t close that gap it helps this betting site call it before the result?
    I think labour in Wales is tired and presides over failing NHS and education amongst other things

In the end Corbyn may well see a poor GE result, but above all else he may well have facilitated brexit more than any other opposition politician, and on the way devastated the moderate sensible labour party that won three elections
    I am not entirely convinced Boris is the man to sweep Labour from Wales. Anecdotally speaking the Boris/Trump/NHS story is even more of a concern than Betsi Cadwalladr's shortcomings.
    That with respect is utter nonsense. The suffering many are experiencing with Betsi Cadwallader is real, is ongoing, and is causing great distrees for many. I had to wait 65 weeks for my bi-lateral hernia op and even now, in November, my wife and I, who both have priority, cannot secure an appointment for our flu jabs

The Boris/Trump/ NHS story is labour's attempt at weaponising the NHS at a time when Boris is more trusted on the NHS than Corbyn.

I have to agree with BigG here.

Fortunately for Labour, neither the Tories nor the LibDems appear to have worked out that Labour is in charge of the NHS in Wales and has presided over the worst Health Service in the islands.
  • Options

Many houses (mine included) can’t have cavity wall insulation (not effectively anyway, without major works). What happens to me? Am I immune from the imposed loan or do I have to do really major works at my own cost?
    The manifesto will reveal all.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If the WA passes Brexit will already have happened, he is just talking about extending the transition period to allow more time for FTA talks which Boris has rejected anyway
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

Perhaps 100% of Labour supporters do too. (I asked them both)
  • Options

Question 1 -

Like previously I believe it has to be on the table for the EU to take it seriously. However, I do not support no deal and in the end I expect an extension will be agreed

Question 2 -

If a referendum were to be proposed I see no way no deal would be off the table in view of TBP likely gaining 5 million voters but I would expect the party to support the WA

Thank you as always for your prompt and courteous response.

As far as Q1 is concerned, there are Conservative candidates going round saying we must leave without a WA on 31/1/20 if the WA cannot get through Parliament yet that doesn't alter the fact without a clear CON majority there will be a majority against No Deal.

For Q2, well, quite but a ballot having No Deal, the WA and Remain is going to cause a lot of people a lot of issues. Conservatives may well end up split three ways (so might Labour as well).

All this tells me IF the Conservatives fail to win a majority they will have little option but to go into Opposition as they will not want to be seen to be responsible for another extension or a crash out.

This underlines the huge gamble (despite the poll numbers) Boris Johnson has taken. What would be the political impact of another extension beyond 31/1/20?
  • Options

The manifesto will reveal all.
    I look forward to it. I do think they may be about to massively overreach.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Boris Johnson thinks the Tory Party is better off with Andrew Bridgen in the party and Ken Clarke out of it.

Not my party anymore.

When are you founding "The Real Conservative and Unionist Party"?
    Conservative Unionist Northern Trans Party
  • Options
    Chelsea 5
    Ajax 4
  • Options
    scammy Chelski
  • Options

egg said:

Flu jabs are about £10 and 10 mins in major supermarkets or chemists. Good value if you are struggling to get an appointment.
  • Options
    Var.........
  • Options
    stodge said:

Question 1 -

Question 2 -

Thank you as always for your prompt and courteous response.

As far as Q1 is concerned, there are Conservative candidates going round saying we must leave without a WA on 31/1/20 if the WA cannot get through Parliament yet that doesn't alter the fact without a clear CON majority there will be a majority against No Deal.

For Q2, well, quite but a ballot having No Deal, the WA and Remain is going to cause a lot of people a lot of issues. Conservatives may well end up split three ways (so might Labour as well).

All this tells me IF the Conservatives fail to win a majority they will have little option but to go into Opposition as they will not want to be seen to be responsible for another extension or a crash out.

This underlines the huge gamble (despite the poll numbers) Boris Johnson has taken. What would be the political impact of another extension beyond 31/1/20?
    Yes I do agree this is a huge gamble by Boris

It is all or nothing in my view
  • Options

Saying they'll support a pact is pretty meaningless when the terms of that pact are unknown. And since Farage has up to now stated that the price of a pact is Boris has to abandon his deal, the cost of a pact is clearly too high even if people want it.
  • Options

Alistair said:

==Betting Post==

Con @ 1.33

[*] Not Risk Free

Have they discovered a smidgeon of shame and resisted using Ruth Davidson on their bumph?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Right, here's my current list of seats I think will change hands.

Lab>Con Peterborough Bedford Ashfield Bassetlaw Lincoln DerbyN Kensington Southgate Auckland StocktonS Crewe Barrow WarringtonS Canterbury Stroud DudleyN Newcastle WolverhamptonSW StokeN Keighley ColneV Penistone Wakefield RotherV Grimsby Wrexham ValeClwyd Gower
    Con>LD StAlbans RichmondPark Cheadle Southport HazelGrove Lewes Winchester StIves Cheltenham DevonN
    Lab>LD Cambridge Hallam LeedsNW
    Con>SNP Stirling Gordon Ayr Ochil Angus
    Lab>SNP Rutherglen Kirkcaldy GlasgowNE Midlothian Coatbridge
    SNP>LD FifeNE
    Lab>PC YnysMon
    PC>LD Ceredigion

Result: Con 331 Lab 225 SNP 44 LD 27 Others 23
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@HYUFD won't be happy with Transport for London's proposed changes to Central Line trains serving Epping Forest DC:
    https://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/central-line-to-reduce-services-between-woodford-and-hainault-1-6348464

Under the planned timetable, most of the current Woodford via Hainault services will become a shuttle between Woodford and Hainault, calling at Grange Hill, Chigwell, and Roding Valley.
    Customers that need to head into central London should change at Woodford or at Hainault.
    There will also be a reduction in services between Debden, Theydon Bois and Epping stations by two trains per hour, although TfL says this is to maintain the frequency of services between Woodford and Loughton.

Where can I sign the petition? I was travelling on this service recently.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    If the WA passes Brexit will already have happened, he is just talking about extending the transition period to allow more time for FTA talks which Boris has rejected anyway
    But how many Faragites will believe it?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

egg said:

I have to agree with BigG here.

Fortunately for Labour, neither the Tories nor the LibDems appear to have worked out that Labour is in charge of the NHS in Wales and has presided over the worst Health Service in the islands.
    The Tories have hammered home the wretched state of the NHS in Wales in every PM Questions I have seen recently. Or do you mean Welsh Tories are oblivious?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

==Betting Post==

Con @ 1.33

[*] Not Risk Free

It's close to being risk free. I can't think of any way the Tories will lose that seat. (Don't blame me if it happens though).
    There is only one way, which is the constituencies 'natural' Lib Dems (I. E the 10000 who voted lib dem in 2015) switch back from Con to Lib Dem and let the SNP (who have picked up anti tory lactical votes from Labour) in.

That's it, that's the one way it can happen.
  • Options

egg said:

Flu jabs are about £10 and 10 mins in major supermarkets or chemists. Good value if you are struggling to get an appointment.
    Ah Londoners .... the nearest major supermarket to where I live is 45 minutes away, on the other side of Wales.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited November 2019

Alistair said:

==Betting Post==

Con @ 1.33

[*] Not Risk Free

Have they discovered a smidgeon of shame and resisted using Ruth Davidson on their bumph?
    Edit: I see @Alistair got there first!
  • Options
    Disgusting, we need to get rid of our unelected rulers.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1191826302208282625
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    Johnson doesn't need a majority, Sinn Fein won't be taking their seats I err think... 322 wil be enough
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

egg said:

Ah Londoners .... the nearest major supermarket to where I live is 45 minutes away, on the other side of Wales.
    You don’t have to be a Londoner to live within 45 minutes of a supermarket.
  • Options

If it is true or even if it isn't?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan Swift meets JRR Tolkien, with characters by PG Wodehouse and dialogue by Douglas Adams. Joseph Heller that's actually funny. Aaron Sorkin with elves. More quotable than Shakespeare. I may not have enough superlatives.

The books are set on the Discworld and are populated by elves, vampires, dwarfs, werewolves and humans, but they all talk like real people. Each book revolves around the problems of a small group or single individual as something bad happens and they work around a solution. Along the way the dialogue is peppery, the plots skip along, and the characters are well drawn. Most characters appear in more than one book and the society evolves from mediaeval times via Renaissance Italy to the early industrial revolution. By the end it is roundly stocked and the characters write themselves.

Forty one books. At one every six months, that's the next 20 years sorted out. You can thank me later... :)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Saying they'll support a pact is pretty meaningless when the terms of that pact are unknown. And since Farage has up to now stated that the price of a pact is Boris has to abandon his deal, the cost of a pact is clearly too high even if people want it.
    They're under the impression that the Brexit party wants Brexit.

Actually Brexit party voters, members and candidates probably do.

But Farage doesn't.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    An interesting chart from the BBC using MORI data. Perhaps this won't be like 2017 after all:

https://c.files.bbci.co.uk/11EEE/production/_109345437_optimised-ipsosiss2-nc.png
  • Options

egg said:

Sounds like a great opportunity to start your own supermarket!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    HYUFD said:

reverting to the service in the 70s and 80s.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Are these Chelsea score updates for real?

On suits, Freggles, I'd try to get a no-name suit in as nice a fabric as you can and spend the rest of the budget on an old-school tailor. The money you spend tweaking an off-the-shelf suit is superb value. Going from that to made-to-measure is, unless you have a Soames or Avatar physique, poor value for money.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan Swift meets JRR Tolkien, with characters by PG Wodehouse and dialogue by Douglas Adams. Joseph Heller that's actually funny. Aaron Sorkin with elves. More quotable than Shakespeare. I may not have enough superlatives.

The books are set on the Discworld and are populated by elves, vampires, dwarfs, werewolves and humans, but they all talk like real people. Each book revolves around the problems of a small group or single individual as something bad happens and they work around a solution. Along the way the dialogue is peppery, the plots skip along, and the characters are well drawn. Most characters appear in more than one book and the society evolves from mediaeval times via Renaissance Italy to the early industrial revolution. By the end it is roundly stocked and the characters write themselves.

Forty one books. At one every six months, that's the next 20 years sorted out. You can thank me later... :)
    Something tells me comrade that you have something of a novelist about you

• Options
    HYUFD said:

I saw that in the Metro this morning and thought of you oddly enough.

I use the District Line but I see how crowded the Central Line trains are at Mile End so I dread to think what a reduction in the service will mean.

The Jubilee is currently unuseable at peak hours because a number of trains are out of service being repaired and TfL are effectively running the off-peak service all day so you can imagine how crowded trains are at Stratford, West Ham and Canary Wharf.
  • Options

kle4 said:

But Farage doesn't.
    Without a flood of members and candidates from BXP repudiating the stance that has been taken I don't know that we can be sure their voters do not agree with Farage. There's been a trickle of such people, but not that many it seems. I wonder whether if it is in part because they think the Tories will win regardless, but if so that is a dangerous game.
  • Options
    RobD said:

An interesting chart from the BBC using MORI data. Perhaps this won't be like 2017 after all:

https://c.files.bbci.co.uk/11EEE/production/_109345437_optimised-ipsosiss2-nc.png

That’s fascinating. I always forget about that index. What’s gone so right with the NHS?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Thanks for the suit recommendations, PB Hive Mind.

Yours dapperly
    Freggles
  • Options

egg said:

Sounds like a great opportunity to start your own supermarket!
    Well, gosh that is a Jacob Rees-Mogg of an answer. Let's try some more of this.

If you are dissatisfied with the fire service, it is a great opportunity to start your own fire brigade!

If you can't get a flu jab in the Welsh NHS, then a huge opportunity exists to create a new vaccination service!
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

My mum is neither male nor pale, she says she can't stand Swinson.

What name does she post under on here Sunil?
    Byronic...
    No. Sunil's mum posts as "@Sunil", Sunil posts as @rcs1000, rcs1000 posts as @TOPPING , Topping posts as @SeanT, and SeanT is Sunil's mum IRL. It all makes perfect sense.
    No. I am Sunilsmumacus.
    Who am I? I've lost track.
    You are @Ave_it on alternate Thursdays. You have to stock the exclamation marks and keep the hyperbole watered. I'll send you the rota. DON'T PRESS THE RED BUTTON.
    Reminds me of one of my favourite Pratchett quotes (in a crowded field) : "Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

Recently my son did a physics exam which quoted "a famous science fiction writer" who said, "in the beginning there was nothing. Which exploded. Explain". Not sure if he got an extra mark for pointing out it was Pratchett.
    I am going thru my bookshelves and trying to clear it up (a hopeless endevor, since I buy them faster than I can give them away). I'm genuinely Thinking of throwing the Pratchetts: not that I want rid, I just figure they'll never be out of print so I can rebuy on demand.
    Sacrilege. Whenever I am feeling down I retreat to a bath with one, often Thief of Time or Maskerade, and amuse the rest of my family with hoots of laughter despite reading them so many times before.
    They are good, but not a patch on early Tom Sharpe. I still return to Riotous Assembly from time to time. The scene involving the police commander dangling from an upstairs window wearing a pink latex nighty, whilst trying to escape a geriatric nymphomaniac seems so believable in the light of recent Westminster scandals.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

Given no one will go into Coalition anymore it'd be nice to have someone with a small majority for more than a couple of years at least, but I fear despite that increase in Brexit as a major factor 2017 is what we'll get. It'll be the same basic outcome, for different reasons, a morton's fork. Roll on 2020.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    RobD said:

This is not like 2017.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I saw that in the Metro this morning and thought of you oddly enough.

I use the District Line but I see how crowded the Central Line trains are at Mile End so I dread to think what a reduction in the service will mean.

The Jubilee is currently unuseable at peak hours because a number of trains are out of service being repaired and TfL are effectively running the off-peak service all day so you can imagine how crowded trains are at Stratford, West Ham and Canary Wharf.
    Indeed, I understand the need for repairs but not the reduction in service as a result
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

HYUFD said:

reverting to the service in the 70s and 80s.
    In the 70s and 80s the line went up to Ongar
  • Options

egg said:

Why should my wife and I pay £20 for free flu jabs
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    But how many Faragites will believe it?
    They will be voting Farage anyway, some of them ex Labour
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

==Betting Post==

Con @ 1.33

[*] Not Risk Free

It's close to being risk free. I can't think of any way the Tories will lose that seat. (Don't blame me if it happens though).
    There is only one way, which is the constituencies 'natural' Lib Dems (I. E the 10000 who voted lib dem in 2015) switch back from Con to Lib Dem and let the SNP (who have picked up anti tory lactical votes from Labour) in.

That's it, that's the one way it can happen.
    CON win BR&S is also 1/3 with paddy power.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

But Farage doesn't.
    Without a flood of members and candidates from BXP repudiating the stance that has been taken I don't know that we can be sure their voters do not agree with Farage. There's been a trickle of such people, but not that many it seems. I wonder whether if it is in part because they think the Tories will win regardless, but if so that is a dangerous game.
    You mean they agree with Farage's official position of wanting No Deal Brexit rather than Farage's actual position of being anti-Brexit.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd agree with all that. I've recently started to have the pleasureof reading tyhe Tiffany Aching series to my 9 year old daughter. They're even more fun to read aloud. Such unecpected beauty in the language. And genuinely funny.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Where can I sign the petition? I was travelling on this service recently.
    https://www.change.org/p/transport-for-london-stop-the-reduction-of-peak-time-central-line-service-from-epping-theydon-bois-and-debden?recruiter=364989148&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_petition
  • Options

RobD said:

That’s fascinating. I always forget about that index. What’s gone so right with the NHS?
    Oldies...their brains have gone...stupid fuckers cannot see that the Tories have buggered up the NHS and the geriatric social care system that they are so reliant on....
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Yes, let's have elected heads of state, that will eliminate the pussy grabbers.

Andrew doesn't rule us. It isn't a collective.
This discussion has been closed.