Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the Looking-Glass

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,010
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

In one week Boris Johnson has done more for the cause of Irish reunificaiton than Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell and the IRA managed in 40 years. He should get his own mural!

Completern Irish voters vote for a united Ireland

And that, of course, is why the DUP is so keen on it!

Er,

Soft or no border with RoI and a lot of congruence with EU: check.

Hardish border with GB: check.

Sounds a lot like a not very baby but actially quite grown-up step towards reunification?

Yes, I was being ironic! Varadker has layed an absolute d, crucially, in the former Conservative and Unionist Party.

Nope, a hard border was the best chance for Irish unity, Boris has avoided that and Northern Ireland will still stay in the same Customs area as GB
    No. A hard border might have reignited the Troubles although such an idea is moot as no PM could have overseen one.

Meanwhile to align NI and the RoI while detaching them, together, regulatorily from the mainland is encouraging unification.

I am not hugely surprised that you can't see this but I am happy to keep pointing it out to you.
    NI and the RoI are already aligned in terms of a ity it has now
    The it.
    Tntrim is a great place and staunchly loyalist
    Againing.
    The Nationalists want a formal political unity on the island of area.
    Finally you are beginning to get it. Yes. They want a formal polieen distanced from the mainland. It is a step towards that formal political unity.
    The biggest step towards formal political Irish unity would have been a hard border in Ireland, this deal avoids that.

If there was a hard border most Irish counties would vote to leave ly leave the UK
    You are wrong. You are getting distracted by a hard border. That was never going to happen. What we have today however is a formal arrangement to separate the island of Ireland from GB.
    No, a hard border would have happened if we went to No Deal, at least from the Irish side.

What we have today is a formal arrangement to keep Northern Ireland in the UK and UK customs area while avoiding a hard border with the Republic of Ireland
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

deleted, on reflection

Lol.
    Drinking the Boris-Aid wipes all memories clean.
    It does, doesn't it? Actually it was about one of the Scots Tories fanboys but it seemed just so unkind to repeatd what he said a year ago ...
    I was actually referring to what you'd posted!

I salute your not wanting to be unkind to Ross T, you're a better man than me.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I was being ironic! Varadker has layed an absolute d, crucially, in the former Conservative and Unionist Party.

Nope, a hard border was the best chance for Irish unity, Boris has avoided that and Northern Ireland will still stay in the same Customs area as GB
    No. A hard border might have reignited the Troubles although such an idea is moot as no PM could have overseen one.

Meanwhile to align NI and the RoI while detaching them, together, regulatorily from the mainland is encouraging unification.

I am not hugely surprised that you can't see this but I am happy to keep pointing it out to you.
    The it.
    Againing.
    The Nationalists want a formal political unity on the island of Ireland not a continuation of the de facto economic unity Ireland already largely has and which the Deal maintains while keeping Northern Ireland part of the UK and in the UK customs area.
    Finally you are beginning to get it. Yes. They want a formal political unity. But they don't expect it tomorrow morning. The deal creates a difference between Great Britain on the one hand and the island of Ireland on the other.

In other words something has changed. Previously Great Britain and Northern Ireland were wholly aligned. That is no longer the case. The island of Ireland has been distanced from the mainland. It is a step towards that formal political unity.
    That's not true though. Northern Ireland has always been politically separate. It wasn't aligned with GB under Stormont, nor under Direct Rule, and it isn't now.
    The separation will be more noted and enshrined in treaty.
    The DUP have been happy about being treated differently when it suited their purposes
    This, so much. It's why their vaunted principles are not as grand as they pretend.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    nunuone said:
    Gulping back the tears and roaring 'I hope you choke on it!'
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

Andrew said:
    Omara wont attend so one for the tie
    The indies I presume are Mann, woodcock and elphicke? He has a chance with Austin, Lewis, lloyd, field and with norman lamb
    Lloyd counts as an Indy - Austin, Field and Lloyd are the three who have voted for it each time (though I don't think all were Indy at MV1), so if Mann is there as Indy is it predicting 1 less of those three? Elphicke has the whip back.

There's always Williamson!
    Mann is still officially a Labour MP. Elphicke has again lost the Tory Whip since being charged.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    As others on here already know - leaving isn't the end, it's just the end of the beginning.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Her constituency voted Remain anyway, 2/3 of MPs have Leave voting seats
    You have said before a Tory majority would be needed to pass a deal - do you still think that is the case, or do you think it will pass, and if so how many Lab votes will it take?
    It would take 20 to 30 Labour MPs which is possible if the alternative is No Deal but not if the alternative is extension.

In the unlikely event the EU agreed further extension and France does not veto then of course we are into all out war from next week with the diehard Remainers with Boris sabotaging extension at every turn with full support from Tories and Leavers
    Didn’t you declare war on the diehard remainers three or four times this year already?
    We have not reached October 31st yet, only if we are still in the EU then does all out war really begin
    You are in serious danger of having a mental breakdown. Calm down
    Those wanting to respect the Leave vote have had 7 months of biting their tongues, they will not tolerate their vote being denied again
    Sadly, you have recently become far too aggresive and you are better than that. You have an amazing insight into polling and politics and are a valued poster but try and get some balance and even understanding of other peoples views
    I have had enough doors slammed in my face from angry Leave voters over the last few months furious we are still in the EU 7 months after we were supposed to Leave after Leave won the referendum, to know that further extension could turn very ugly indeed regardless of my personal views.
    wooosh
  • Options
    eek said:

As others on here already know - leaving isn't the end, it's just the end of the beginning.
    Rejoice, just rejoice in that
  • Options
    eek said:

That would still be something.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    edited October 2019
    RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

So we have Farage now celebrating Benn Act, Starmer claiming it definitely worse deal, even though he won't have seen the text yet and Swinson of course claiming the only deal is to stay in the EU.

The HoC will say no and its going to be more silly buggering around isn't it.

No it wil be No Deal then as the EU have now refused further extension
    Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

Junckers, the Belgium PM and Macron have all said no prolongation to the deal on the 31st October but as with anything EU it is not yet definitive
    BigG, why do you always write "Junckers" instead of "Juncker"? His name is the latter. I've just noticed you always do it
    Maybe he's a WW2 aircraft aficionado :)
    We've probably all heard this one, but it's a good'un.

"In 1942," he says, "the situation was really tough. The Germans had a very strong air force. I remember, " he continues, "one day I was protecting the bombers and suddenly, out of the clouds, these fokkers appeared.

(At this point, several of the children giggle.)

I looked up, and right above me was one of them. I aimed at him and shot him down. They were swarming. I immediately realized that there was another fokker behind me."

At this instant the girls in the auditorium start to giggle and boys start to laugh. The teacher stands up and says, "I think I should point out that 'Fokker' was the name of the German-Dutch aircraft company"

"That's true," says the pilot, "but these fokkers were flying Messerschmidts."
    And as for Messerschmifdts - here's the Miss Shilling solution for those who don't know Zephyr's allusion [edit]:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HZ18AwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq="shilling's+orifice"+quill&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiryP3qhqTlAhUUtHEKHSPgDFgQ6AEIbjAK#v=onepage&q=shilling's&f=false
  • Options
    Unforgiveable for any Labour MP to support a Deal put forward by such a vile monster as Johnson. They know how evil he is - and have no more excuse than the Tory MPs who propelled him to the Leadership.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

deleted, on reflection

Lol.
    Drinking the Boris-Aid wipes all memories clean.
    It does, doesn't it? Actually it was about one of the Scots Tories fanboys but it seemed just so unkind to repeatd what he said a year ago ...
    I was actually referring to what you'd posted!

I salute your not wanting to be unkind to Ross T, you're a better man than me.
    I've only been back on PB a month or so ...
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Is he right though? Has the actual withdrawal agreement been kept secret / unpublished?

That could be a problem.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

TOPPING said:

But as long as it is with the consent of the people is that really a problem. I don't believe the DUP is close to representing a majority of the people in NI so it seems to me that this is a deal that is in line with majority opinion and the fact remains that it is only with consent that there can be any closer moves towards reunification
    Yes that is true. It is just the fact that it is the Conservative and Unionist Party proposing it, whereas previously they actually passed a law against precisely that, which is grounds for gobsmackedness.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

So we have Farage now celebrating Benn Act, Starmer claiming it definitely worse deal, even though he won't have seen the text yet and Swinson of course claiming the only deal is to stay in the EU.

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

Junckers, the Belgium PM and Macron have all said no prolongation to the deal on the 31st October but as with anything EU it is not yet definitive
    BigG, why do you always write "Junckers" instead of "Juncker"? His name is the latter. I've just noticed you always do it

"In 1942," he says, "the situation was really tough. The Germans had a very strong air force. I remember, " he continues, "one day I was protecting the bombers and suddenly, out of the clouds, these fokkers appeared.

I looked up, and right above me was one of them. I aimed at him and shot him down. They were swarming. I immediately realized that there was another fokker behind me."

At this instant the girls in the auditorium start to giggle and boys start to laugh. The teacher stands up and says, "I think I should point out that 'Fokker' was the name of the German-Dutch aircraft company"

And as for Messerschmifdts - here's the Miss Shilling solution for those who don't know:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HZ18AwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq="shilling's+orifice"+quill&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiryP3qhqTlAhUUtHEKHSPgDFgQ6AEIbjAK#v=onepage&q=shilling's&f=false
    It won the war.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

And as for Messerschmifdts - here's the Miss Shilling solution for those who don't know Zephyr's allusion [edit]:

It's amazing how often a tiny/simple thing has such a dramatic effect.
  • Options

Is he right though? Has the actual withdrawal agreement been kept secret / unpublished?

That could be a problem.
    I believe the full text is available, and has been for several hours now.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

And as for Messerschmifdts - here's the Miss Shilling solution for those who don't know:

It won the war.
    Surely - temporarily didn't lose the war. But none the less important.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Unforgiveable for any Labour MP to support a Deal put forward by such a vile monster as Johnson. They know how evil he is - and have no more excuse than the Tory MPs who propelled him to the Leadership.

Vile monster? The hyperbole does you no favours.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

The it.
    Againing.
    The Nationalists want a formal political unity on the island of Ireland not a continuation of the de facto economic unity Ireland already largely has and which the Deal maintains while keeping Northern Ireland part of the UK and in the UK customs area.
    Finally you are beginning to get it. Yes. They want a formal political unity. But they don't expect it tomorrow morning. The deal creates a difference between Great Britain on the one hand and the island ofity.
    That's not true though. Northern Ireland has always been politically separate. It wasn't aligned with GB under Stormont, nor under Direct Rule, and it isn't now.
    The DUP have been happy about being treated differently when it suited their purposes, they should have been looking longer term and aimed af full integration with GB.

Meanwhile the RoI is no longer the backward craphole dominated by the Catholic church it once was and the memories of WW2 and needs of the Cold War have gone so reducing goodwill toward NI.

The underlying truth, which I'm not sure the DUP have ever understood, is that English people don't look upon NI as being part of the same country in the way they do Scotland and Wales let alone the different parts of England.
    Which is in many ways a shame as it is very much like England and the people there are beyond friendly, most of them, and very aware of the absurdity of their situation.
  • Options
    Mark field stepping down at the GE
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Unforgivable for any Tory MP to join a vile monster like Corbyn and oppose this Brexit Deal.

They know how evil he is - and have no more excuse than the Labour MPs who nominated him for the Leadership
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Remainers and Faragists are really trying to spin things hard but I don't see any of their arguments really having punch. When I was arguing for May's deal, it was hard to defend the lack of consent in the backstop. And while I want the UK in the Customs Union, I could see how the inability to sign our own trade deals was powerful to Leavers.

Now though, there is not much the opponents have. They are trying to push this "carving up the UK" line but it doesn't stick. NI has always been constitutionally in the UK but a more mixed status pratically: British but with the right to Irish passports, represented at Westminster but with her own law, representative democracy but with extra double majority requirements for Irish nationalists. This deal continues that grand tradition: under UK law but with regulatory exceptions for agrifood and industrial goods, checks on goods but not personal possessions, part of UK trade deals but with access to the single market. There is no sizable shift, even while Remainers try to play it up, because it is the only line they have.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Plus it is about the deal not the man. And whether it is an acceptable deal for Labour to vote for it cannot be an evil deal if the EU signed up to it. And if the concern is what he might do after a deal, well, that's just saying what might he do if he wins an election, which plenty of people think could happen regardless so it makes no difference.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

I found this explanatory film - fascinating to find that tdhe Battle of Britain film planes supposedly lacked it.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a22201/brass-ring-spitfire-engineering-wwii/
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Carnyx said:

Zephyr said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

It won the war.
    An invasion of England hinged on the air war that summer? And it was touch and go?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Unforgivable for any Tory MP to join a vile monster like Corbyn and oppose this Brexit Deal.

They know how evil he is - and have no more excuse than the Labour MPs who nominated him for the Leadership
    And I will say the same to you. Such hyperbole is unnecessary. Corbyn isn't a vile monster, and neither is Johnson.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Plus it is about the deal not the man. And whether it is an acceptable deal for Labour to vote for it cannot be an evil deal if the EU signed up to it. And if the concern is what he might do after a deal, well, that's just saying what might he do if he wins an election, which plenty of people think could happen regardless so it makes no difference.
    Exactly. Saying you are fine with the WA but have an issue with the PD is basivally saying they don't have confidence in their own electotal platform.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I expect the transition period to last at least two years . Any trade deal won’t happen quickly with the EU and then you normally have a delay before implementation.

And trade deals with other countries if they happen the same . At the end of December 2020 I expect the message will be it’s not worth making business go to WTO and then have to go through two sets of changes .

Because all this will be coming after an election which the Tories will likely win which means they don’t have to worry about Farage causing too much damage and the public by then could care less .

The symbolism of Brexit happening is a big thing , after that the public will tune out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

And I will say the same to you. Such hyperbole is unnecessary. Corbyn isn't a vile monster, and neither is Johnson.
    Corbyn commemorated the killers of innocent Jewish athletes.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

Carnyx said:

Zephyr said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

It won the war.
    An invasion of England hinged on the air war that summer? And it was touch and go?
    Hitler had little chance of a successful invasion of the UK with the RN dominating the channel. Reverse DDay and much less successful. His best bet was to bomb the airfields instead of London and try and get air superiority. Even then a tough ask.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Corbyn commemorated the killers of innocent Jewish athletes.
    Misguided, perhaps ;)
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

Carnyx said:

Zephyr said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

It won the war.
    Oh yes, it helped stop that. But IIRC they'd moved onto more sophisticated carburettor systems pretty soen after that. Miss S's O was a temporary - but effecti ve and above all prompt - expedient.

Other things won the war in Europe.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

I found this explanatory film - fascinating to find that tdhe Battle of Britain film planes supposedly lacked it.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a22201/brass-ring-spitfire-engineering-wwii/
    I'll be sure to check that out later, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Maybe Warren has a secret plan to win the election. Maybe, if she wraps up the nomination, she’ll modify Medicare for All and repackage herself as a sensible progressive who can unite the country. But Tuesday’s performance suggests otherwise. It suggests that the senator we’ve seen in recent encounters—dismissive of religious conservatives, defiant about making false statements, only vaguely apologetic for having claimed Native American ancestry—is the real Elizabeth Warren. Tenacity isn’t always a virtue

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/elizabeth-warren-ideologue-health-care-antitrust.html

She'll lose if she keeps Medicare for All imho.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

While it's true Fokker built aircraft for Germany in WW1, by the time WW2 broke out, he had moved to the Netherlands and built aircraft for them, mostly pre-war.
  • Options

One of my lecturers at Imperial was called Mark Field, but a different one :)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    When the history book on the Trump presidency are being written the chapter entitled "Why did mainstream Republicans go along with him for so long" will just be a single word. And that word will be "Judges"

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1184911426630107138?s=19
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

The it.
    Againing.
    Finally you are beginning to get it. Yes. They want a formal political unity. But they don't expect it tomorrow morning. The deal creates a difference between Great Britain on the one hand and the island ofity.
    The DUP have been happy about being treated differently when it suited their purposes, they should have been looking longer term and aimed af full integration with GB.

Meanwhile the RoI is no longer the backward craphole dominated by the Catholic church it once was and the memories of WW2 and needs of the Cold War have gone so reducing goodwill toward NI.

The underlying truth, which I'm not sure the DUP have ever understood, is that English people don't look upon NI as being part of the same country in the way they do Scotland and Wales let alone the different parts of England.
    Which is in many ways a shame as it is very much like England and the people there are beyond friendly, most of them, and very aware of the absurdity of their situation.
    To my mind the three northern counties seem similar to Scotland and the three southern counties are more like SW England.

But that's from only limited personal experience.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

In one week Boris Johnson has done more for the cause of Irish reunificaiton than Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell and the IRA managed in 40 years. He should get his own mural!

Completern Irish voters vote for a united Ireland

And that, of course, is why the DUP is so keen on it!

Er,

Soft or no border with RoI and a lot of congruence with EU: check.

Hardish border with GB: check.

Sounds a lot like a not very baby but actially quite grown-up step towards reunification?

The it.
    Againing.
    The Nationalists want a formal political unity on the island of area.
    Finally you are beginning to get it. Yes. They want a formal polieen distanced from the mainland. It is a step towards that formal political unity.
    The biggest step towards formal political Irish unity would have been a hard border in Ireland, this deal avoids that.

If there was a hard border most Irish counties would vote to leave the UK and for Irish unity with the exception of Antrim which might declare UDI rather than be forced to join the Republic of Ireland agsinst its will but would still likely leave the UK
    You are wrong. You are getting distracted by a hard border. That was never going to happen. What we have today however is a formal arrangement to separate the island of Ireland from GB.
    Nonsense. UK citizenship. UK representation. UK service regulation. UK tariffs.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    For the record, I am hopeful this deal will be passed. I bang on about systems a lot, and it's crucial that people have faith in the democratic system.

The judgement on Boris will be mixed; pleased he carried out the voters mandate; but historians will ask why he vehmently opposed a deal, and then meekly signed up to something that crossed at least as many red lines.

I hope now we can all concentrate on more important things. Like the US elections.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No, a hard border would have happened if we went to No Deal, at least from the Irish side.

What we have today is a formal arrangement to keep Northern Ireland in the UK and UK customs area while avoiding a hard border with the Republic of Ireland

The fact that you need to proclaim that NI is staying in the UK is noteworthy. But NI will also be bound by EU rules whereas the UK won't be. That was Boris' big win. Why you are so happy

And so there has been a formal separation between Great Britain and the island of Ireland.

Something changed and what changed is that NI will align with the EU more closely and Great Britain much less so.

The fact that the deal has been agreed and the backstop junked is the clue you should follow up on.
  • Options

And the door opens for Chuka in Cities of London and Westminster to ascend to the Commons as its new LD MP and become the Messiah for the Remainers and liberals
  • Options

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

While it's true Fokker built aircraft for Germany in WW1, by the time WW2 broke out, he had moved to the Netherlands and built aircraft for them, mostly pre-war.
    That's unusually pedantic of you. What have you done with the real Sunil?

:D
  • Options

Maybe Warren has a secret plan to win the election. Maybe, if she wraps up the nomination, she’ll modify Medicare for All and repackage herself as a sensible progressive who can unite the country. But Tuesday’s performance suggests otherwise. It suggests that the senator we’ve seen in recent encounters—dismissive of religious conservatives, defiant about making false statements, only vaguely apologetic for having claimed Native American ancestry—is the real Elizabeth Warren. Tenacity isn’t always a virtue

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/elizabeth-warren-ideologue-health-care-antitrust.html

She does have native American ancestry.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    rcs1000 said:

For the record, I am hopeful this deal will be passed. I bang on about systems a lot, and it's crucial that people have faith in the democratic system.

The judgement on Boris will be mixed; pleased he carried out the voters mandate; but historians will ask why he vehmently opposed a deal, and then meekly signed up to something that crossed at least as many red lines.

I hope now we can all concentrate on more important things. Like the US elections.

Well, we should have a clearer idea by Staurday evening, I guess.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Because he wanted to be prime minister.

That's a really easy one.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kle4 said:

eek said:

That would still be something.
    The middle of the start of the prelude to the interval of the endgame?
  • Options
    https://www.mark-field.org.uk/MP

Critical of the govt but will vote for the deal. Then stand down at the GE. Brexit claims another one
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

At some infinitesimal level.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    nico67 said:

I expect the transition period to last at least two years . Any trade deal won’t happen quickly with the EU and then you normally have a delay before implementation.

And trade deals with other countries if they happen the same . At the end of December 2020 I expect the message will be it’s not worth making business go to WTO and then have to go through two sets of changes .

Because all this will be coming after an election which the Tories will likely win which means they don’t have to worry about Farage causing too much damage and the public by then could care less .

The symbolism of Brexit happening is a big thing , after that the public will tune out.

50 year transition .. problem solved
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    On the subject of US elections, there were two US economic datapoints out today that should strike fear into the hearts of Trump and his supporters.

Industrial Production in September fell 0.4% from August. Worse, it was down year-over-year for the first time.

Consumer spending also went into reverse in September, falling from August although still up on a year ago. (Note: industrial production worse than consumer spending suggests that the US trade deficit is widening, not narrowing.)

There's a real slow moving car crash happening here. House prices across most of the US seem to be coming down (albeit gently) right now. If that worsens, it will gum up consumer spending. Trump now wants start the money printing presses. It may work, but the truth is that economies need the occasional recession to rectify misallocated capital.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

That's unusually pedantic of you. What have you done with the real Sunil?

:D
    Then of course, there was the Focke-Wulf company, wot built the Fw-190, arguably a better all-rounder than the Messerschmitt 109
  • Options
    RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

At some infinitesimal level.
    1/16 iirc
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Critical of the govt but will vote for the deal. Then stand down at the GE. Brexit claims another one

Could be a LD gain at the GE imo.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Remainers and Faragists are really trying to spin things hard but I don't see any of their arguments really having punch. When I was arguing for May's deal, it was hard to defend the lack of consent in the backstop. And while I want the UK in the Customs Union, I could see how the inability to sign our own trade deals was powerful to Leavers.

Now though, there is not much the opponents have. They are trying to push this "carving up the UK" line but it doesn't stick. NI has always been constitutionally in the UK but a more mixed status pratically: British but with the right to Irish passports, represented at Westminster but with her own law, representative democracy but with extra double majority requirements for Irish nationalists. This deal continues that grand tradition: under UK law but with regulatory exceptions for agrifood and industrial goods, checks on goods but not personal possessions, part of UK trade deals but with access to the single market. There is no sizable shift, even while Remainers try to play it up, because it is the only line they have.

There will be a border down the Irish Sea. As explained by that arch remainer Nigel Farage today in Brussels.

That is a bold move for the Conservative and Unionist Party.
  • Options

Less likely if Brexit has happened. That shoots the Swinson fox
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    The Democrats walked out of the meeting, in protest of Trump’s insults. Speaking to reporters afterward, Pelosi said, “I think now we have to pray for his health, because this was a very serious meltdown on the part of the president.”

As the evidence mounts of Trump’s abuses and obstructions, will some Republican senators see the impeachment process as an opportunity to rid themselves of a president that they must be regarding as increasingly dangerous? A few weeks ago, the question would have been asinine. Now it’s, at the very least, not implausible.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/trump-syria-turkey-meltdown.html
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    I bet poor Kay's suffering with those 5am starts! :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Shes really not very good
  • Options
    edited October 2019

The Democrats walked out of the meeting, in protest of Trump’s insults. Speaking to reporters afterward, Pelosi said, “I think now we have to pray for his health, because this was a very serious meltdown on the part of the president.”

As the evidence mounts of Trump’s abuses and obstructions, will some Republican senators see the impeachment process as an opportunity to rid themselves of a president that they must be regarding as increasingly dangerous? A few weeks ago, the question would have been asinine. Now it’s, at the very least, not implausible.

The Republicans said very much the same about Pelosi funnily enough
    She needs to stop ducking a vote on formalizing impeachment proceedings, until that trump is free to avoid subpoenas etc without sanction
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Nearly 60 and put on Breakfast... It's almost as though she's upset someone at SKY! :D
  • Options
    The IG report comes out tomorrow stateside
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

And the door opens for Chuka in Cities of London and Westminster to ascend to the Commons as its new LD MP and become the Messiah for the Remainers and liberals
    Chuka will be pissed off. He will have to redo all his election bumph without a green activist in a headlock.....
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

The fact that you need to proclaim that NI is staying in the UK is noteworthy. But NI will also be bound by EU rules whereas the UK won't be. That was Boris' big win. Why you are so happy

And so there has been a formal separation between Great Britain and the island of Ireland.

Something changed and what changed is that NI will align with the EU more closely and Great Britain much less so.

The fact that the deal has been agreed and the backstop junked is the clue you should follow up on.
    And had NI not aligned more closely with the EU and had a hard border with the Republic of Ireland then a majority of Northern Irish voters would likely have voted to Leave the UK completely and join the Republic of Ireland
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091
    edited October 2019
    TOPPING said:

Gabs2 said:

There will be a border down the Irish Sea. As explained by that arch remainer Nigel Farage today in Brussels.

What party ???

I don't think I've ever seen that party on any ballot paper I've had.

People concerned about the Unionist aspect should have taken note of that.
  • Options

Less likely if Brexit has happened. That shoots the Swinson fox
    Not really. As is often overlooked, it's all to play for in terms of who will negotiate the actual deal.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Nearly 60 and put on Breakfast... It's almost as though she's upset someone at SKY! :D
    Well that about sums up your attitude to life, it was a job swap between Sarah Jane me and her, for whatever reason the fact that she is nearly 60 is a disgrace to use as any explanation for this change.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    But nowhere near as hard as staying in the EU beyond 31st October and the Tories have a 15% lead over Labour in the latest Yougov even with the Brexit Party on 11%
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2019
    Gabs2 said:

It's an arrangement that is probably unworkable for Northern Ireland as it stands. Admittedly that was always the case with the Irish backstop. But we have moved from it being the worst case if all else fails to it being the actual policy. It's an arrangement that, unless changed, offers so little to the rest of the UK, we might literally have no deal with the EU in a year's time.

I am struggling to see any benefit to this deal beyond avoiding an immediate chaotic exit.

Oh. And the only NI consent for this Brexit is that absolutely everyone in NI is now opposed.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

They opened it changed it to add the line British Prime minister picks up the DUP and throws them under a bus.

Go on, say that’s not true

I’ll say it’s not true.

What they’ve done is taken it back to the deal they put forward as their best case scenario in 2017, before May extracted several important concessions.

And yet the Brexiteers have not looked at it closely enough to see it. Nor do they understand that this means that the EU will no longer be interested in negotiating a free trade deal unless we stay in CAP, CFP, etc because they now have all the leverage they need to walk away, instead of us ending up half in, half out by default.

I bet Barnier can’t believe his luck.

Admittedly, one bright spot is that the European Parliament will probably raise no objections whereas I was always nervous somebody with half a brain would spot what the EU had given away before.
    You've hit the nail on the head there. The removal of GB from the backstop and putting NI into a frontstop radically rebalances the FTA negotiations in the EU's favour. Not that Boris cares.
    And as pointed out in the header.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Carnyx said:

Zephyr said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

It won the war.
    If you don't lose a war for long enough, you end up winning it. See the treaty of Arras and, regrettably, Assad in Syria.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

Chuka will be pissed off. He will have to redo all his election bumph without a green activist in a headlock.....
    I am sure just putting some posters of himself up with a halo and surrounded by angels draped in EU flags would suffice
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

And had NI not aligned more closely with the EU and had a hard border with the Republic of Ireland then a majority of Northern Irish voters would likely have voted to Leave the UK completely and join the Republic of Ireland
    Yes exactly! Finally! So instead they've got an aligned island of Ireland. It's win win for the nationalists.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

TOPPING said:

Gabs2 said:

What party ???

I don't think I've ever seen that party on any ballot paper I've had.

People concerned about the Unionist aspect should have taken note of that.
    The party that Jacob Rees Mogg is a member of. The same party that outlawed the creation of a border down the Irish Sea.

That party.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Gabs2 said:

It's an arrangement that is probably unworkable for Northern Ireland as it stands. Admittedly that was always the case with the Irish backstop. But we have moved from it being the worst case if all else fails to it being the actual policy. It's an arrangement that, unless changed, offers so little to the rest of the UK, we might literally have no deal with the EU in a year's time.

I am struggling to see any benefit to this deal beyond avoiding an immediate chaotic exit.
    It takes GB out of the EU, the single market and customs union, it ends free movement from the EU and lets us do our own trade deals and it avoids a hard border in Ireland
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

parts of Kay Burley are nearly 60.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Yes exactly! Finally! So instead they've got an aligned island of Ireland. It's win win for the nationalists.
    No as Northern Ireland stays in the UK without a hard border making Irish unity likely, so still the Nationalists aim is defeated
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am sure just putting some posters of himself up with a halo and surrounded by angels draped in EU flags would suffice
    LOL (genuinely)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Jim Fitzpatrick is a yes and thinks 20 labour MPs could vote yes but are undecided
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nichomar said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Well that about sums up your attitude to life, it was a job swap between Sarah Jane me and her, for whatever reason the fact that she is nearly 60 is a disgrace to use as any explanation for this change.
    I was joking... And given Kay has made a career of putting her foot in it - including, for example, asking serial killer Steve Wrights girlfriend whether he would still have been a serial killer if they'd had a better sex life - it kind of goes with the territory to have a laugh at Miss Burley's expense.

But of course if I've caused offence, upset or general disagreement to you or anyone else then I withdraw the comment and apologize. :)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    Evening all :)

I suspect today's events have ensured the Conservatives will be in Government for the next five years and maybe for the next decade. It's hard to see whatever happens on Saturday how Boris won't win a majority at the next GE which will hypothetically take us to 2025.

I have considerable reservations about his "tsunami of Tory ideas" and suspect his tax cutting lunacy will eventually lead to a mountain of debt and a recession of some severity but the question will be how the Opposition will re-define itself in the early 2020s and the degree to which that transformation will be complete by 2025.

I could imagine environmental themes gaining more attention with time and it may be a more overtly pro-environment (not Green) movement which may be Labour or the LDs or an amalgam will emerge. It may also be the benefits of leaving the EU will look exaggerated with time and while that may not translate into a desire to rejoin, it may instigate a form of buyer's remorse.

All things pass and I suspect in 2025 we could be looking at a very different political environment but I am to be honest quite disheartened this evening. In hindsight I don't think there's anything the anti-Conservative forces could have done once the ComRes poll showed Boris winning a majority. From that point his election as Conservative leader was guaranteed.

Were he facing a more astute and popular Opposition leader I think his obvious limitations would be exposed but he has the ideal opponent in Corbyn who he can verbally wrong-foot with ease.

Johnson also has had, as Blair and Thatcher had in their time, more than his share of luck. That will run out one time and perhaps spectacularly but he is the dominant political figure of the moment.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

They opened it changed it to add the line British Prime minister picks up the DUP and throws them under a bus.

Go on, say that’s not true

I’ll say it’s not true.

What they’ve done is taken it back to the deal they put forward as their best case scenario in 2017, before May extracted several important concessions.

And yet the Brexiteers have not looked at it closely enough to see it. Nor do they understand that this means that the EU will no longer be interested in negotiating a free trade deal unless we stay in CAP, CFP, etc because they now have all the leverage they need to walk away, instead of us ending up half in, half out by default.

I bet Barnier can’t believe his luck.

Admittedly, one bright spot is that the European Parliament will probably raise no objections whereas I was always nervous somebody with half a brain would spot what the EU had given away before.
    You've hit the nail on the head there. The removal of GB from the backstop and putting NI into a frontstop radically rebalances the FTA negotiations in the EU's favour. Not that Boris cares.
    And as pointed out in the header.
    It's a very good header !
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Gabs2 said:

It takes GB out of the EU, the single market and customs union, it ends free movement from the EU and lets us do our own trade deals and it avoids a hard border in Ireland
    You're on fire tonight. You've got it. It takes GB out of those institutions. It doesn't take the UK (GB and NI) effectively out of them.
  • Options

Stonch said:

HYUFD said:

Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

That was Junkers :wink:
  • Options
    Drutt said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

parts of Kay Burley are nearly 60.
    Her IQ?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you saying he’s going to wing it?

Pause.

Ah, my coat...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

That could be a problem.
    He’s not. All the documents are available to read. I have read them. There is a link to them in the header.
  • Options
    As an act of sweet revenge, I wonder whether the DUP might now be inclined to support a VNOC - and even be prepared to install Corbyn as PM on a short term basis. Were I in their position I would contemplate that .
  • Options
    justin124 said:

As an act of sweet revenge, I wonder whether the DUP might now be inclined to support a VNOC - and even be prepared to install Corbyn as PM on a short term basis. Were I in their position I would contemplate that .

I doubt they would ever do that given his past associations.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

nichomar said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I was joking... And given Kay has made a career of putting her foot in it - including, for example, asking serial killer Steve Wrights ex-girlfriend whether he would still been a serial killer if they'd had a better sex life - it kind of goes with the territory to have a laugh at Miss Burley's expense.

But of course if I've caused offence, upset or general disagreement to you or anyone else then I withdraw the comment and apologize. :)
    Ok a joke is a joke but in a world where female presenters feel threatened by their age unlike male presenters then it needs a bit more thought.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Still not enough with the LDs against him plus the several indies that would never vote for him
  • Options

The Republicans said very much the same about Pelosi funnily enough
    She needs to stop ducking a vote on formalizing impeachment proceedings, until that trump is free to avoid subpoenas etc without sanction
    No he's not. That's something he just made up. The House has full over sight powers at all times.

There is no "we are starting investigation of material to decided if we will hold an impeachment vote" step to vote on.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    justin124 said:

Without Corbyn maybe but absolutely no chance with him there .
This discussion has been closed.