Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the Looking-Glass

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    nico67 said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So we have Farage now celebrating Benn Act, Starmer claiming it definitely worse deal, even though he won't have seen the text yet and Swinson of course claiming the only deal is to stay in the EU.

The HoC will say no and its going to be more silly buggering around isn't it.

No it wil be No Deal then as the EU have now refused further extension
    Source?
    HYUFD is not accurate.

Junckers, the Belgium PM and Macron have all said no prolongation to the deal on the 31st October but as with anything EU it is not yet definitive
    Nope, I am accurate.

It is also absolutely definitive and confirms the French position of no extension without the Deal passing, EUref2 or a GE
    Tusk has just refused to rule out a further extension been granted.
    Tusk will never agree to push the UK out .

He is an emotional guy and really feels a loss at what’s happened. He will be overjoyed if the UK after all this decided to remain.
    Which still requires a Commons vote for EUref2 and a Remain vote, without that if the Commons rejects the Boris Deal there will be no extension, France would certainly veto it and likely more states too and Juncker is also clearly opposed to further extension if the Deal is rejected
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

So we have Farage now celebrating Benn Act, Starmer claiming it definitely worse deal, even though he won't have seen the text yet and Swinson of course claiming the only deal is to stay in the EU.

Junker saying 'we have a deal so there is no need for an extension' is not the same thing as him saying that there will be no extension. it is also in the gift of the council to decide not his. most of this was signalling, prompted by boris, to allow a deal/nodeal vote on saturday.
    It is if the UK Parliament rejects the Deal there is no need for an extension without a change of circumstance ie EUref2 or a GE
    you don't actually believe that the MPs will vote down this deal and then just stop do you?

they will be forced to vote for something, and probable be forced to keep voting until something come out. I suspect that an amendment with a referendum will pass the commons and an extension for it to take place will happen.
    Only 280 MPs voted for EUref2 in the indicative votes
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

Junker saying 'we have a deal so there is no need for an extension' is not the same thing as him saying that there will be no extension. it is also in the gift of the council to decide not his. most of this was signalling, prompted by boris, to allow a deal/nodeal vote on saturday.
    It is if the UK Parliament rejects the Deal there is no need for an extension without a change of circumstance ie EUref2 or a GE
    HYUFD makes a lot of statements that I find questionable, but in this instance he assesses the situation correctly, in my humble view.
    British pundits of any colour seem to severely underestimate the appetite in many, many member states to conclude the matter, now.
    Stopped clock, etc.

Anyway, whatever their frustration with the UK, permitting a No Deal by refusing an extension would be throwing Ireland under the bus. I can't see them doing that, I really can't.
    There is no risk to Ireland. MPs will never vote for No Deal when there is Boris's Deal instead.

0% risk. As we all know.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    nico67 said:

Bozo all of a sudden about unity after peddling division !

I’m happy there’s a deal but really he needs to go fuck himself .

Charming.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,783

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No they haven’t. The EU will grant an extension.
    Nope, Juncker ruled out further extension today, it is the Boris Deal or No Deal
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/17/brexit-deal-latest-news-boris-johnson-eu-summit-brussels-barnier/
    Stop spouting this nonsense.

https://twitter.com/albertonardelli/status/1184864611327234050?s=21
    That's a clear yes. They demanded a clear reason before and expressed reservations. They'll never 'kick us out'.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The SNP may be furious they cannot use No Deal as an excuse to give them a good chance of Yes in any indyref2, I assure you a majority of Scots are not and will be happy Boris has a Deal with the EU that avoids No Deal.

By avoiding a hard border in Ireland between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland Boris has also made it less likely Northern Ireland votes for a united Ireland.

The Boris Deal thus delivers Brexit and removes the GB backstop (and ends free movement in GB and enables our own trade deals) and makes the breakup of the UK less likely

Come now - the recent polling was for 50% for indy, and that was pre Brexit.
    That was excluding Don't Knows most of whom would go No as Quebec 1995 showed, only No Deal got a slim Yes majority in that poll.

Plus of course Boris and Westminster will block indyref2 for the foreseeable future anyway
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The SNP may be furious they cannot use No Deal as an excuse to give them a good chance of Yes in any indyref2, I assure you a majority of Scots are not and will be happy Boris has a Deal with the EU that avoids No Deal.

By avoiding a hard border in Ireland between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland Boris has also made it less likely Northern Ireland votes for a united Ireland.

The Boris Deal thus delivers Brexit and removes the GB backstop (and ends free movement in GB and enables our own trade deals) and makes the breakup of the UK less likely

Yes, or at least Devo Max with the customs border extending from North Channel to the Tweed and Scotland also staying in CU and SM.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

PB needs a sweepstake on the margin of victory or loss on Saturday.

Remarkably close to MV3 I think. Maybe 295ish and 330ish.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1184877612457443330

Oooo. Ex-Tories might be very difficult to get on board.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Johnson is using Theresa May's lines about a "deep and special partnership".
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,807
    viewcode said:

Guys, a quick question. The vote on Saturday? What time of day is it?

Guys, I don't want to nag, but I would please appreciate an answer to this... :(
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

To be fair, Johnson has, like all good politicians, the ability to fall in the sh1t and come up smelling of roses.

1) Boris gets Deal through Parliament - he is a national hero and wins a big majority.
    2) Boris's Deal rejected by Parliament - Boris blames Opposition MPs. Voters back Boris and he wins a big majority.
    3) Boris's Deal rejected by EU - Boris blames Europeans and wins big majority.

There has been no downside since the ComRes poll of June 12th showed only Boris among the leadership contenders capable of winning a large majority.

There is also the Churchill/Attlee scenario:

4) Boris gets Deal through Parliament; calls General Election; voters say "thanks very much, you've got Brexit done, now we're going to vote for someone else because we prefer them on domestic issues".
    Except Remainers and the anti Boris vote is now split between the LDs and Corbyn whereas the anti Churchill vote was united behind Attlee.

Attlee also won after 14 years of Tory rule not only 9 years
    Attlee won after a national government populated by Labour, Conservative and Liberal politicians.
    With a Tory majority in the Commons throughout those years and a Tory PM
    With a National Government majority. There were National Conservatives, National Liberals and National Labour members. Sure, there were non-National government MPs but it is a gross mischaraterisation of the period to claim it as a straight Conservative majority.
    The National Conservatives won a landslide in the 1935 election and there was a big Tory majority from 1935 to 1945 in the Commons.

So my statement it was a Commons majority for the Tories throughout those years was 100% correct
    You can believe that if you like, but it doesn't make it any more correct.
    It does because it is
    Can I suggest you read this book to understand the period: https://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Government-1931-40-British-Studies/dp/0333691318

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    If the commons passes it, will Nov 1st be the first day we are officially out?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

More delaying tactics.
  • Options
    isam said:

If it all goes according to plan we'll only be in for 23 hours on the 31st ;)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Guys, I don't want to nag, but I would please appreciate an answer to this... :(
    Someone has just said on radio 4 that it might happen before the Chelsea game. Wht that means I have no idea.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anorak said:

More delaying tactics.
    It seems like a legitimate and important piece of data to request before voting. Or do you think Johnson is 100% trustworthy when he says this is a great deal for the UK?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Notable Hammond is missing and most of those conservatives names are not surprising
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Depends if the rebels win the amendment, the government wants to effectively limit the debate whereas as the rebels could post many amendments effecting the actual length of the sitting and the timing of the vote(s).

So in short, nobody can say with certainty.
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I don't think that is known, especially as the motion to remove the 90 minute restriction succeeded. Lords is sitting from 10am, imagine Commons is similar.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

That's two questions.

1) Yes it is on Saturday
    2) It's currently 6:10pm in the UK

You're welcome.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    kle4 said:

Anorak said:

I could see it passing with a 2nd Ref amendment, otherwise I think it will fail by 5 votes.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

More delaying tactics.
    It seems like a legitimate and important piece of data to request before voting. Or do you think Johnson is 100% trustworthy when he says this is a great deal for the UK?
    I think this won't change any one of their votes, and instead they are doing it in an attempt to stop Brexit entirely.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

I could see it passing with a 2nd Ref amendment, otherwise I think it will fail by 5 votes.
    Very close to where I landed. I had a loss by 8.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    edited October 2019

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD makes a lot of statements that I find questionable, but in this instance he assesses the situation correctly, in my humble view.
    British pundits of any colour seem to severely underestimate the appetite in many, many member states to conclude the matter, now.
    Stopped clock, etc.

Anyway, whatever their frustration with the UK, permitting a No Deal by refusing an extension would be throwing Ireland under the bus. I can't see them doing that, I really can't.
    There is no risk to Ireland. MPs will never vote for No Deal when there is Boris's Deal instead.

0% risk. As we all know.
    LOL. I have been chuckling at your posts all day mark, Such spin you’ll get dizzy in a minute. Let me help you fall over by slapping you with reality.

Mays Deal+added surrender to the EU. 😁😁😁

Tory Prime minster throws DUP to the dogs. 😆😆😆😆

Negotiating triumph. Take a backstop we can’t get out of. Turn it into a backstop we need the IRA’s permission to get out of 🤬

So [struggles to suppress sarcastic laughter] this is take back control is it?

Why are there any Tories daring top show their face on here today? Do they not realise beneath their surrender deal they are naked?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

That's two questions.

1) Yes it is on Saturday

You're welcome.
    Do you come here often? :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

To be fair, Johnson has, like all good politicians, the ability to fall in the sh1t and come up smelling of roses.

1) Boris gets Deal through Parliament - he is a national hero and wins a big majority.
    2) Boris's Deal rejected by Parliament - Boris blames Opposition MPs. Voters back Boris and he wins a big majority.

There has been no downside since the ComRes poll of June 12th showed only Boris among the leadership contenders capable of winning a large majority.

4) Boris gets Deal through Parliament; calls General Election; voters say "thanks very much, you've got Brexit done, now we're going to vote for someone else because we prefer them on domestic issues".
    Except Remainers and the anti Boris vote is now split between the LDs and Corbyn whereas the anti Churchill vote was united behind Attlee.

Attlee won after a national government populated by Labour, Conservative and Liberal politicians.
    With a National Government majority. There were National Conservatives, National Liberals and National Labour members. Sure, there were non-National government MPs but it is a gross mischaraterisation of the period to claim it as a straight Conservative majority.
    The National Conservatives won a landslide in the 1935 election and there was a big Tory majority from 1935 to 1945 in the Commons.

So my statement it was a Commons majority for the Tories throughout those years was 100% correct
    It does because it is
    Can I suggest you read this book to understand the period: https://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Government-1931-40-British-Studies/dp/0333691318

No need, the Conservatives won 386 seats in the 1935 general election and they only needed 308 for a majority, the facts don't lie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    Anorak said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

That's two questions.

1) Yes it is on Saturday

You're welcome.
    And lunchtime in New York, where it is very windy
  • Options
    Here's the schedule for the Commons. Boris is up at 9:30

https://calendar.parliament.uk/calendar/Commons/All/2019/10/19/Daily
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Anorak said:

Notable Hammond is missing and most of those conservatives names are not surprising
    Letwin has already said he is voting for the deal too
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

If it all goes according to plan we'll only be in for 23 hours on the 31st ;)
    On the first day of BINO, the EU gave to me.....
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

Stopped clock, etc.

0% risk. As we all know.
    LOL. I have been chuckling at your posts all day mark, Such spin your get dizzy in it a minute. Let me help you fall over by slapping you with reality.

Negotiating triumph. Take a backstop we can’t get out of. Turn it into a backstop we need the IRA’s permission to get out of 🤬

Why are there any Tories daring top show their face on here today? Do they not realise beneath their surrender deal they are naked?
    There is now no backstop for GB and a hard border is avoided in Northern Ireland with consent of a majority of NI parties required to change the situation
  • Options

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

I believe labour have refused to add a referendum to saturdays vote
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The DUP are apparently going to be actively trying to get other MPs to vote against the deal .

Not sure how much influence they have left . It looks like the ERG are going to vote yes .
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    On Sky News Lib Dems via Sam Gyimah are playing the Union card and saying DUP have been betrayed. You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I think it depends on the number of amendments allowed but they are starting at 9:30 so I would think they are aiming for votes late afternoon (rather than into the evening say).

IANAE though.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,791
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

That was excluding Don't Knows most of whom would go No as Quebec 1995 showed, only No Deal got a slim Yes majority in that poll.

Plus of course Boris and Westminster will block indyref2 for the foreseeable future anyway
    Possibly you are not allowing for the fact that indyref2 will not be like the previous one. In a normal indyref to vote no is to take the easy option of the status quo. This is no longer possible. The status quo has been gleefully and publicly trashed and the Scots are not getting the nice option that the NI people are.

If I were, say, an Edinburgh middle-class type working in the financial industry, or a coastal fisherman, I might well vote Yes this time.

Remember - polling got more votes for independence in the event of Brexit.

In fact, it is a point to bear in mind for NI as well, and Wales too.

And re denying a vote - I thought you wanted to invade Spain, not emulate it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Most ERG and most of the ex Cons - minus the Grievers - gets them then around the 300 mark assuming no other losses. Gets to maybe 305 with 1-2 more labour votes?
  • Options
    I think you'll have Grieve Gauke Greening Bebb against, the others may vote for, if the ERG are on board bar a few holdouts he might need ca 18 indies and labour for a deal..........
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, or at least Devo Max with the customs border extending from North Channel to the Tweed and Scotland also staying in CU and SM.
    Well, we do, sorry will [edit], have a shining example not at all far away.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The DUP are apparently going to be actively trying to get other MPs to vote against the deal .

Not sure how much influence they have left . It looks like the ERG are going to vote yes .

Some of the switch around are great. People who lapped at their feet now reject them, those who abhored them now standing in their defence, with Faragr revealing himself a remainer and remainers saying its not a good enough leave.
  • Options
    I wonder what Rory Stewart will do .

He can forget any chance of becoming London Mayor if he votes yes .
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I think it depends on the number of amendments allowed but they are starting at 9:30 so I would think they are aiming for votes late afternoon (rather than into the evening say).

IANAE though.
    The most important amendment would be for a referendum and Corbyn is refusing wanting a straight up and down vote
  • Options
    Any canvassers will be getting a very firm message between now and Saturday
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Some of the switch around are great. People who lapped at their feet now reject them, those who abhored them now standing in their defence, with Faragr revealing himself a remainer and remainers saying its not a good enough leave.
    Welcome to politics !
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:
    It's a fun point but not quite right - they dont need to convince people of that, they need to justify their actions to their supporters. Thats a much lower bar.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

He has admitted he was wrong and favours a deal, he is finished in London
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

No they haven't. They haven't mentioned it.
    Oh, they have mentioned not granting it. Just not in the communique.
    Writing Farage obituary today is going to haunt you.

Farage is actually right and true to his principles. The Principles being the EU commission kicking UK parliament around and bouncing it always been the opposite to what he wants. The problem for Boris or Deal Christ any bloody deal bad or not fans is bully Junker is now on YOUR side.

What’s credibility shredding today ERG and Boris Government AND their EU commission allies try to bounce Britain into this messy, bad hard Brexit deal they have never had public endorsement for. The ballot paper merely said leave, not leave disastrously whilst destroying the union. 😁
  • Options
    Brilliant analysis by Cyclefree. Now where is that Motion for Sir Oliver Letwin to be charged with High Treason and like the Earl of Stafford, take one for his cause :)
  • Options
    edited October 2019

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

Seems like it but who knows, still 48hours to go until the vote probably.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Pretty confident he will vote yes, he was the biggest cheerleader for the May deal, which this essentially is 95% of. Agree it shafts him for mayoral hopes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Most ERG and most of the ex Cons - minus the Grievers - gets them then around the 300 mark assuming no other losses. Gets to maybe 305 with 1-2 more labour votes?
    And of course they would have the whip restored and fight their seats in an imminent GE
  • Options
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Welcome to politics !
    Well yes, but it's not usually quite so brazen.

But I would like to confirm that like Rory, I too got it wrong.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

Stopped clock, etc.

Surely that's right - and any implied threat of No Extension is unconvincing, because everybody knows it (even if some here would love to believe in Deal or No Deal).
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Possibly you are not allowing for the fact that indyref2 will not be like the previous one. In a normal indyref to vote no is to take the easy option of the status quo. This is no longer possible. The status quo has been gleefully and publicly trashed and the Scots are not getting the nice option that the NI people are.

If I were, say, an Edinburgh middle-class type working in the financial industry, or a coastal fisherman, I might well vote Yes this time.

The Scots are avoiding No Deal which us fine enough for most of them given a majority now want to respect the Leave vote and deliver Brexit.

Wales voted Leave.

I am not emulating Spain as I am not yet proposing arresting and jailing Sturgeon and SNP leaders as Spain has arrested and jailed Catalan leaders, I am only saying indyref2 should be blocked for the foreseeable future
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Brilliant analysis by Cyclefree. Now where is that Motion for Sir Oliver Letwin to be charged with High Treason and like the Earl of Stafford, take one for his cause :)

Strafford?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

Stopped clock, etc.

0% risk. As we all know.
    LOL. I have been chuckling at your posts all day mark, Such spin your get dizzy in it a minute. Let me help you fall over by slapping you with reality.

There is now no backstop for GB and a hard border is avoided in Northern Ireland with consent of a majority of NI parties required to change the situation
    That latter is the new backstop
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    So Corbyn becomes PM next week.

Here's how:
    Johnson loses vote on Saturday.
    UK faces No Deal breakfast - but Johnson refuses to send letter.
    VoNC.
    There isn't time for Swinson to f*** about. Even Farage backs Benn Act.
    Corbyn is PM.
    Letter is sent.
    2nd ref follows.
  • Options
    It really is time for Boris to tell Arlene he is thinking of allowing a Referendum on Irish Unification :) unless of course Nigel and his 9 chums fall into line.
  • Options

I think you'll have Grieve Gauke Greening Bebb against, the others may vote for, if the ERG are on board bar a few holdouts he might need ca 18 indies and labour for a deal..........

Gauke I think will vote yes but Grieve, Greening and Bebb no
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Depends if the rebels win the amendment, the government wants to effectively limit the debate whereas as the rebels could post many amendments effecting the actual length of the sitting and the timing of the vote(s).

So in short, nobody can say with certainty.
    Ballpark. Is it likely to be before 4pm or after?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The Scots are avoiding No Deal which us fine enough for most of them given a majority now want to respect the Leave vote and deliver Brexit.

Wales voted Leave.

I am not emulating Spain as I am not yet proposing arresting and jailing Sturgeon and SNP leaders as Spain has arrested and jailed Catalan leaders, I am only saying indyref2 should be blocked for the foreseeable future
    C an you point me to a reputable poll saying the Scots now want Brexit, please?

As for Spain, it happened because the central gmtd denied the poll in the first place.
  • Options

Here's how:
    VoNC.
    Corbyn is PM.
    Letter is sent.
    2nd ref follows.

He doesn't have the votes to become PM, even with the LDs
  • Options

nico67 said:

Maybe regains whip and fights his seat
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Wales voted Leave.

As for Spain, it happened because the central gmtd denied the poll in the first place.
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1184396383148793857?s=20
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1184399764168859648?s=20
  • Options
    RobD said:

Here's the schedule for the Commons. Boris is up at 9:30

https://calendar.parliament.uk/calendar/Commons/All/2019/10/19/Daily

The England game starts at 8.15.......
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

IANAE though.
    Shit. The bank closes at 4pm. And my online banking does not work.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

Stopped clock, etc.

0% risk. As we all know.

A border down the Irish Sea.
    NI business will have to pay VAT / duties first, then reclaim it back. Such indignity.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Still needs 15 to 20 Lab+exLab, so probably a fair bit of policy and pork bribery will be needed:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1184881590851325952
  • Options

kle4 said:

Anorak said:

Seems like it but who knows, still 48hours to go until the vote probably.
    I think the size of labour mps against a referendum has seen off the amendment
  • Options

And getting 18 switchers is a stretch. Maybe it could happen, maybe it should happen (though the pressure to sign this off nownowNOW is ominous). But maybe, in the grand scheme of things, nothing has changed today.
  • Options

I reckon quite a few Labour abstentions.....
  • Options

nico67 said:

Maybe regains whip and fights his seat
    Possible, his beef with Boris was over no deal.......
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    It is. The provisions of the backstop are now permanent rather than temporary.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Here's how:
    VoNC.
    Corbyn is PM.
    Letter is sent.
    2nd ref follows.

He can become PM but not stay PM after being VONC'd in turn.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Bet Jo feels a bit of a twat
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    It is. The provisions of the backstop are now permanent rather than temporary.
    Presumably as a believer in alternative arrangements, you're disappointed that Boris Johnson has abandoned the pretence that they will be found?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

It does because it is

No need, the Conservatives won 386 seats in the 1935 general election and they only needed 308 for a majority, the facts don't lie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935_United_Kingdom_general_election
    If you don't want to understand the period, that's fine. At least you're honest about it.
  • Options

Here's how:
    VoNC.
    Corbyn is PM.
    Letter is sent.
    2nd ref follows.

If Johnson resigns......
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Wales voted Leave.

Took a while Scotland, but you got there.....
  • Options

Yes, if they are willing to give up being Labour MPs and future candidature.
  • Options

isam said:

Yes
    I think there may still need to be a week or so technical extension. There are still quite a lot of legal hoops to jump through.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

Here's how:
    VoNC.
    Corbyn is PM.
    Letter is sent.
    2nd ref follows.

he would have to pass a confidence vote in the first place which is a high hurdle. BJ remains until then
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Yes
    I think there may still need to be a week or so technical extension. There are still quite a lot of legal hoops to jump through.
    The EU have committed to a tight timescale to do it by the 31st
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Wales voted Leave.

Thank you.

That's a leading question - actually the real figure for wanting to stay is 54% witdh a more neutral question in that database. Interesting, though, that the Scots are still the least Brsexity of any region sampled.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Strafford?
    typo sorry, trying to type with no lights on in the room :)
  • Options

"Oh, was there a vote? I was catching up with the rugby...."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Wales voted Leave.

Ahem. If I am very much mistaken, wasn't that the poll that gave four options (leave with Deal, leave no deal, remain, don't know) and then added the two Leaves together? Didn't will Jennings or somebody tweet saying that was not on?
  • Options

Some gave up being Tory MPs over no deal, people with higher profiles than most. Some few other labour mps will probably be similarly bold. But not many.
  • Options

Bet Jo feels a bit of a twat

Usually his brother doing that......
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,725
    surbiton19 said: "Yes, if they are willing to give up being Labour MPs and future candidature."

Why would a Labour MP have whip with drawn for voting for this deal when Labour MPs whom voted for previous iterations did not?
  • Options
    Maybe the labour enablers will choose now to do something about Corbyn that isn't just tweeting
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Wales voted Leave.

You are irritating because you can't see the difference between a site that wants your opinions and one that wants your analysis
This discussion has been closed.