Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LDs – putting the coalition years behind them

Comments

• Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    "What Happens When It Hits Land
    A tsunami’s trough, the low point beneath the wave’s crest, often reaches shore first. When it does, it produces a vacuum effect that sucks coastal water seaward and exposes harbor and sea floors. This retreating of sea water is an important warning sign of a tsunami, because the wave’s crest and its enormous volume of water typically hit shore five minutes or so later. Recognizing this phenomenon can save lives."
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/natural-disasters/tsunamis/
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    > @JackW said:
    > Very sad that JohnO has fallen. Top class chap.

He'll be off to the Lords when Raab becomes PM. :D
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,375
    > @TGOHF said:
    > > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > Terrible for Labour and Tories.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > The only excuse with any currency with me is that different voters turn up when locals are held at the same time as a GE.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > But dismal. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or doesn’t understand politics.
    > >
    > > Labour seat losses = 76
    > > Tory seat losses = 738
    > >
    > > Labour councils lost = 3
    > > Tory councils lost = 26
    >
    > Cons losing 4.6 councillors per council.
    >
    > On track to end up 1,100-1,200 down.

Or about one Tory down for every minute since results starting being declared last night.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    > @JonCisBack said:
    > > @JonCisBack said:
    > > Tories have so far lost 98 councillors in Somerset! Moggtastic
    >
    > Not quite that bad...my map clicking skills are somewhat wanting and North Devon is in, er, Devon it turns out...my bad
    >
    > but still not great and more results to come

Although with the skills of the boundary commission, such a small detail as a geographically designated name can not be taken to mean the name and location are 100% congruous.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    >
    >
    > Is this an endorsement by Mark Francois of the Brexit party?

Don't think so - unless he thinks Tsunami's are a good thing.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    TGOHF said:

Indies and green have gained more than the LDs.

Suggests the LDs shouldnt get too excited.

Broken, sleazy Tories down 782 seats :)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,926
    stodge said:

Unrelated to local elections but the impact on a High Street near you may be approaching:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/independent-bookmakers-hit-hard-as-fobt-revenues-plummet-40-per-cent/378830

Paddy Power's estimate of a fall off in takings were accurate as you would expect but the likes of Ladbrokes, Hills and Corals aren't saying much yet. It's my experience the betting shops here in East Ham are much quieter since the FOBT limit came in and it's hard to see other betting opportunities taking up the slack.

Sad if true. I was one of the few on here who argued against the Fobt limit and if it leads to the loss of high street bookmakers I shall be sad.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1124309667620978688
    >
    > Shocking! :open_mouth:

what part is shocking?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,252
    Yes commiserations to JohnO. I must admit to great surprise that Surrey- SURREY- has swung in quite the way it has. It was clearly nothing personal.
  • Options
    North of Tyne expected soon
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,912
    > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1124309667620978688
    > >
    > > Shocking! :open_mouth:
    >
    > what part is shocking?

25% for Others?
  • Options
    He might not have left school when the Boxing Day Tsunami hit SE Asia in 2004.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    > @kinabalu said:
    > > @Bob__Sykes said:
    >
    > > In any event, I think once Brexit happens (in name only probably), which now seems increasingly likely before October (particularly after last night and the expected carnage of 23rd May if that happens), then Farage's fox is largely shot, the Brexiteer Tories will get what most of them think they want, and the Grieveite Tories will probably just shrug their shoulders, be grateful we haven't had a No Deal Brexit, and get back to worrying about a Marxist getting into power.
    >
    > *
    >
    > Yes, that is a credible alternative to the scenario I am postulating.
    >
    > And given it is less exciting then mine it is probably more likely.

How is "Brexit In Name Only" equivalent to "What the Brexiteer Tories think they want"?
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Yes commiserations to JohnO. I must admit to great surprise that Surrey- SURREY- has swung in quite the way it has. It was clearly nothing personal.

Didn't Surrey vote Remain in 2016?
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > All this is just the warm up act for Nigel Farage.
    >
    > The star of the show is about to enter, stage left...
    >
    > #GetReady

If the polls are wrong and understating the votes for the Lib Dems, might the Brexit Party not be gaining an unwonted benefit the other way? Farage is very Marmite, and the people who hate him REALLY hate him.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited May 2019
    Sean_F said:

> @TheWhiteRabbit said:

> > @GIN1138 said:

> > > @Scott_P said:

> > >

> >

>

> what part is shocking?

25% for Others?
    The ‘winners’ coming last?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1124309667620978688
    > >
    >
    > what part is shocking?

Con sub 30 and the principle opposition sub 30 at the same time is pretty unusual... But to add in 25% for "Others" (and that's before the Brexit Party field a single candidate) is shocking no?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,312
    edited May 2019
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > All this is just the warm up act for Nigel Farage.
    >
    > The star of the show is about to enter, stage left...
    >
    > #GetReady

Indeed. It's going to be emotional. Careful with the expectations management though - at this rate if he doesn't make number 10 with a thumping overall majority before the year is out it will be an epic fail.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,984
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > Indies and green have gained more than the LDs.
    >
    >
    >
    > Suggests the LDs shouldnt get too excited.
    >
    > Broken, sleazy Tories down 782 seats :)

26.64% of councillors, the ratio is improving at least.
  • Options
    > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > North of Tyne expected soon

Looked to big a gap to cover to be honest.
  • Options
    Guildford heading for NOC as Tory Deputy Leader loses seat
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,982
    Very surprised at the Newark and Sherwood result. Tories gained 3 seats and Labour lost 5.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Wiki says the national equivalent vote shares last year were 35-35-16 so that's -7 each for Tory and Labour and +3 for the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    > @viewcode said:
    > Unrelated to local elections but the impact on a High Street near you may be approaching:
    >
    >
    >
    > https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/independent-bookmakers-hit-hard-as-fobt-revenues-plummet-40-per-cent/378830
    >
    >
    >
    > Paddy Power's estimate of a fall off in takings were accurate as you would expect but the likes of Ladbrokes, Hills and Corals aren't saying much yet. It's my experience the betting shops here in East Ham are much quieter since the FOBT limit came in and it's hard to see other betting opportunities taking up the slack.
    >
    > Sad if true. I was one of the few on here who argued against the Fobt limit and if it leads to the loss of high street bookmakers I shall be sad.

Not me - no street needs or wants a bookies- no upside to having one.

Nor any need - bet online.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    > @Cicero said:
    > Yes commiserations to JohnO. I must admit to great surprise that Surrey- SURREY- has swung in quite the way it has. It was clearly nothing personal.

It's not that surprising. There's no point voting Tory when they give you the choice of building on the green belt or high rise tower blocks. The Lib Dems might not do anything different, but I can see why people wouldn't bother voting Tory.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Cicero said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > All this is just the warm up act for Nigel Farage.
    > >
    > > The star of the show is about to enter, stage left...
    > >
    > > #GetReady
    >
    > If the polls are wrong and understating the votes for the Lib Dems, might the Brexit Party not be gaining an unwonted benefit the other way? Farage is very Marmite, and the people who hate him REALLY hate him.

In most of these "shire" seats the Lib-Dems are the principle opposition to the Tories.

The Tory vote has stayed at home in disgust at what's happened with Brexit while the anti Tory vote has coalesced around the Lib-Dems.

In the EU election the Tory switches en-mass to Brexit Party as does a lot of the Labour leave vote.

Remain vote will slplit between Lib, Green and TIG so BP will end up with a thumping win.

That's what I think will happen anyway but as ever we shall see.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    > @viewcode said:
    > Unrelated to local elections but the impact on a High Street near you may be approaching:
    >
    >
    >
    > https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/independent-bookmakers-hit-hard-as-fobt-revenues-plummet-40-per-cent/378830
    >
    >
    >
    > Paddy Power's estimate of a fall off in takings were accurate as you would expect but the likes of Ladbrokes, Hills and Corals aren't saying much yet. It's my experience the betting shops here in East Ham are much quieter since the FOBT limit came in and it's hard to see other betting opportunities taking up the slack.
    >
    > Sad if true. I was one of the few on here who argued against the Fobt limit and if it leads to the loss of high street bookmakers I shall be sad.

Can't agree.

In my annual visit to the bookies to place my mate's mate's tip on the National i see some sad sights people with clearly not much money and vacant stares losing it in FOBTs. Horrific

Perhaps the wrong website for this (!) but i am pretty uncomfortable with the proliferation and normalisation of gambling in society. there will always be a small percentage who get in too deep.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > Very surprised at the Newark and Sherwood result. Tories gained 3 seats and Labour lost 5.

Palmer will be along to tell us how well labour are doing in notts
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Cicero said:
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > All this is just the warm up act for Nigel Farage.
    > > >
    > > > The star of the show is about to enter, stage left...
    > > >
    > > > #GetReady
    > >
    > > If the polls are wrong and understating the votes for the Lib Dems, might the Brexit Party not be gaining an unwonted benefit the other way? Farage is very Marmite, and the people who hate him REALLY hate him.
    >
    > In most of these "shire" seats the Lib-Dems are the principle opposition to the Tories.
    >
    > The Tory vote has stayed at home in disgust at what's happened with Brexit while the anti Tory vote has coalesced around the Lib-Dems.
    >
    > In the EU election the Tory switches en-mass to Brexit Party as does a lot of the Labour leave vote.
    >
    > Remain vote will slip between Lib Green and TIG so BP will end up with a thumping win.
    >
    > That's what I think will happen anyway but as ever we shall see.

UKIP was an alternative to the Brexit Party in the locals - and they got hammered.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Con sub 30 and the principle opposition sub 30 at the same time is pretty unusual... But to add in 25% for "Others" (and that's before the Brexit Party field a single candidate) is shocking no?

Although that time it was UKIP making up the majority of Others, the overall figures seem closest to 2013.
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > North of Tyne expected soon
    >
    > Looked to big a gap to cover to be honest.

I agree, the fact it is even this close is a surprise, remember Lab were 1/16
  • Options
    > @dyedwoolie said:
    > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > Very surprised at the Newark and Sherwood result. Tories gained 3 seats and Labour lost 5.
    >
    > Palmer will be along to tell us how well labour are doing in notts

They have indeed done well in Bassetlaw as a counterweight to Newark.

Lab gain 4, Con losses 7.
  • Options
    Lab lose Stockton. Marginal.....
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @logical_song said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @Cicero said:
    > > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > All this is just the warm up act for Nigel Farage.
    > > > >
    > > > > The star of the show is about to enter, stage left...
    > > > >
    > > > > #GetReady
    > > >
    > > > If the polls are wrong and understating the votes for the Lib Dems, might the Brexit Party not be gaining an unwonted benefit the other way? Farage is very Marmite, and the people who hate him REALLY hate him.
    > >
    > > In most of these "shire" seats the Lib-Dems are the principle opposition to the Tories.
    > >
    > > The Tory vote has stayed at home in disgust at what's happened with Brexit while the anti Tory vote has coalesced around the Lib-Dems.
    > >
    > > In the EU election the Tory switches en-mass to Brexit Party as does a lot of the Labour leave vote.
    > >
    > > Remain vote will slip between Lib Green and TIG so BP will end up with a thumping win.
    > >
    > > That's what I think will happen anyway but as ever we shall see.
    >
    > UKIP was an alternative to the Brexit Party in the locals - and they got hammered.

UKIP are done. People don't vote ( generally) for a party that associates itself with racist thugs.

Shire Tories in particular are not going to vote for a party that's involved with Yaxley-Lennon... But they will vote for Farage's Brexit Party
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > > @JackW said:
    > > Very sad that JohnO has fallen. Top class chap.
    >
    > Agreed. Still, at least he didn't lose to a LibDem!

JohnO would have "fallen" on his sword after such a calamity !!
  • Options
    Con leader of Canterbury council loses
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @dyedwoolie said:
    > > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > Very surprised at the Newark and Sherwood result. Tories gained 3 seats and Labour lost 5.
    > >
    > > Palmer will be along to tell us how well labour are doing in notts
    >
    > They have indeed done well in Bassetlaw as a counterweight to Newark.
    >
    > Lab gain 4, Con losses 7.

A Leave voting town with a Leave voting Labour MP.
  • Options
    > @TGOHF said:

You're right of course. But still, the warm fug of the shop on a freezing day, a haven from the nagging wife, the surly yet affectionate camaraderie with the other punters, all of them hiding from someone or something, the companionable silence broken only by the chesty coughs and grunts of mild disappointment as another dog or horse fails to deliver, and tickets get screwed up and tossed to the floor - this is a slice of England that will soon be no more and it merits a wistful mention.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Blimey we have now two green councillors in darkest Blue Horsham. (Tory losses)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited May 2019
    > @JonCisBack said:
    > > @viewcode said:
    > > Unrelated to local elections but the impact on a High Street near you may be approaching:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/independent-bookmakers-hit-hard-as-fobt-revenues-plummet-40-per-cent/378830
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Paddy Power's estimate of a fall off in takings were accurate as you would expect but the likes of Ladbrokes, Hills and Corals aren't saying much yet. It's my experience the betting shops here in East Ham are much quieter since the FOBT limit came in and it's hard to see other betting opportunities taking up the slack.
    > >
    > > Sad if true. I was one of the few on here who argued against the Fobt limit and if it leads to the loss of high street bookmakers I shall be sad.
    >
    > Can't agree.
    >
    > In my annual visit to the bookies to place my mate's mate's tip on the National i see some sad sights people with clearly not much money and vacant stares losing it in FOBTs. Horrific
    >
    > Perhaps the wrong website for this (!) but i am pretty uncomfortable with the proliferation and normalisation of gambling in society. there will always be a small percentage who get in too deep.
    >

I have to agree - FOBTs were not betting in the way this site is where it is our expertise against the expertise of the people on the other side of the counter. I'm very glad to see them gone even though I do know it means some people will have to find new jobs.
  • Options
    Surrry heath looking grim
    Poor old Gove
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, my fellow carbon units.
  • Options
    26.4%, Tories stemming the <b>ratio</b> of flow of losses :D
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,327
    > @eek said:
    > > @JonCisBack said:
    > > > @viewcode said:
    > > > Unrelated to local elections but the impact on a High Street near you may be approaching:
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/independent-bookmakers-hit-hard-as-fobt-revenues-plummet-40-per-cent/378830
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Paddy Power's estimate of a fall off in takings were accurate as you would expect but the likes of Ladbrokes, Hills and Corals aren't saying much yet. It's my experience the betting shops here in East Ham are much quieter since the FOBT limit came in and it's hard to see other betting opportunities taking up the slack.
    > > >
    > > > Sad if true. I was one of the few on here who argued against the Fobt limit and if it leads to the loss of high street bookmakers I shall be sad.
    > >
    > > Can't agree.
    > >
    > > In my annual visit to the bookies to place my mate's mate's tip on the National i see some sad sights people with clearly not much money and vacant stares losing it in FOBTs. Horrific
    > >
    > > Perhaps the wrong website for this (!) but i am pretty uncomfortable with the proliferation and normalisation of gambling in society. there will always be a small percentage who get in too deep.
    > >
    >
    > I have to agree - FOBTs were not betting in the way this site is where it is our expertise against the expertise of the people on the other side of the counter. I'm very glad to see them gone even though I do know it means some people will have to find new jobs.
    >
    >

I'd close them in a heartbeat. They have long outlived their original purpose. The 'jobs' argument is vacuous.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714

My canvassing skills are awesome, I could get a Tory elected in Bootle.

No, you really couldn’t.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Blimey we have now two green councillors in darkest Blue Horsham. (Tory losses)

Greens gain 121 seats
  • Options
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1124314584104493057

Quite how CHUK and the Brexit Party are factored into that projected share is a mystery, if indeed either is. Neither has yet to contest an election. So it is a bit hard to take the precise figures very seriously without knowing the methodology.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited May 2019
    kinabalu said:

> @TGOHF said:

You're right of course. But still, the warm fug of the shop on a freezing day, a haven from the nagging wife, the surly yet affectionate camaraderie with the other punters, all of them hiding from someone or something, the companionable silence broken only by the chesty coughs and grunts of mild disappointment as another dog or horse fails to deliver, and tickets get screwed up and tossed to the floor - this is a slice of England that will soon be no more and it merits a wistful mention.

It went long ago I think. I worked in betting shops in the late 90s and it was just how you described it. But now they’re desolate, miserable and empty. It’s all online and I can’t see a way of that changing except maybe applying a tax on online bets. There is probably enough business for maybe one shop per town.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

26.4%, Tories stemming the ratio of flow of losses :D

Tory losses now exceed 800 seats :lol:
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    > @TheValiant said:
    > My canvassing skills are awesome, I could get a Tory elected in Bootle.
    >
    > No, you really couldn’t.

You could try pinning a red rosette on them....
  • Options
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > 26.4%, Tories stemming the ratio of flow of losses :D
    >
    > Tory losses now exceed 800 seats :lol:

Ratio of losses to council rising - now 4.61
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    >

I think they will end up over 1300 down, maybe even over 1400.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    edited May 2019
    So what moniker should I use for Gavin Williamson?

Disgraced national security risk is already used for Liam Fox, or is Gav the Miles Morales to Liam's Peter Parker?
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    > @TudorRose said:
    > > @TheValiant said:
    > > My canvassing skills are awesome, I could get a Tory elected in Bootle.
    > >
    > > No, you really couldn’t.
    >
    > You could try pinning a red rosette on them....

Tories tried that with UKIP colours in the Eastleigh by-election after Huhne went. Didn’t go well - but nothing Shapps did worked well.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,912
    In about 35 minutes, the Conservatives should overhaul the combined Labour and Lib Dem seat total.
  • Options
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > So what moniker should I use for Gavin Williamson?
    >
    > Disgraced national security risk is already used by Liam Fox, or is Gav the Miles Morales to Liam's Peter Parker?

"a self-confessed traitor who wished to profit from his treachery"?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    > @Jonathan said:
    > Blimey we have now two green councillors in darkest Blue Horsham. (Tory losses)

The Greens are also doing well in Wealden. Two seats so far, with quite a few results to come. Also they have achieved some respectable second places. It's hard to compare with 2015, though, because there have been extensive boundary changes.
  • Options
    > @Wulfrun_Phil said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1124314584104493057
    >
    > Quite how CHUK and the Brexit Party are factored into that projected share is a mystery, if indeed either is. Neither has yet to contest an election. So it is a bit hard to take the precise figures very seriously without knowing the methodology.

It's not a prediction for the general election. It's a way to compare the results between local elections held in different parts of the country from year to year to provide a simple way to judge who won and who lost.

And it clearly shows that the two main parties lost. Big time.

So a massive opportunity for both the Brexit Party and Change UK, but can't say anything about how they would do because they didn't stand.
  • Options
    > @Wulfrun_Phil said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1124314584104493057
    >
    > Quite how CHUK and the Brexit Party are factored into that projected share is a mystery, if indeed either is. Neither has yet to contest an election. So it is a bit hard to take the precise figures very seriously without knowing the methodology.

They aren't. It's a representation simply of yesterday's results as if every seat had been up for election in England
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561

> @TheScreamingEagles said:

> So what moniker should I use for Gavin Williamson?

>

> Disgraced national security risk is already used by Liam Fox, or is Gav the Miles Morales to Liam's Peter Parker?

"a self-confessed traitor who wished to profit from his treachery"?

That works for me.
  • Options
    > @TGOHF said:
    > Indies and green have gained more than the LDs.
    >
    > Suggests the LDs shouldnt get too excited.

No they haven't. The Lib Dems have gained over 450 as i write, while Greens have gained 102 and Others 150.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Eagles, disgraced arachnophile?
  • Options

> @Sunil_Prasannan said:

>

I think they will end up over 1300 down, maybe even over 1400.

Tories just lost their 30th council.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    > @dyedwoolie said:
    > Con leader of Canterbury council loses

Cons holding up better than expected across Canterbury overall, but my ward just voted for three Labour councillors, changing it from a 2/1 Tory-Labour split. Whitstable is now a very Labour place. All the down from Londoners.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2019
    Last time I checked a few hours ago Labour were down 75 councillors. Now it's 110. They've also lost 5 councils compared to 3.

https://election.news.sky.com/england-local-council-elections-26
  • Options
    > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > @Wulfrun_Phil said:
    > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1124314584104493057
    > >
    > > Quite how CHUK and the Brexit Party are factored into that projected share is a mystery, if indeed either is. Neither has yet to contest an election. So it is a bit hard to take the precise figures very seriously without knowing the methodology.
    >
    > They aren't. It's a representation simply of yesterday's results as if every seat had been up for election in England

Would you bet on Labour or Con increasing their NEV share in the Euro elections ?
  • Options
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    >
    > > 26.4%, Tories stemming the ratio of flow of losses :D
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Tory losses now exceed 800 seats :lol:
    >
    >
    >
    > I think they will end up over 1300 down, maybe even over 1400.
    >
    > Tories just lost their 30th council.

Which will happen first; Tories go -1000 or Labour go -100?
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    People on here told me there's no way the Tories were going to lose 1,000 seats.....hmmmmm
  • Options
    Tories defending all 18 seats in Tunbridge Wells; held only five.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Last time I checked a few hours ago Labour were down 75 councillors. Now it's 110. They've also lost 5 councils compared to 3.
    >
    > https://election.news.sky.com/england-local-council-elections-26

Where are you looking? On the BBC site it's -91 currently. (Possibly they don't include any figures for a council until the count for a council is complete.)
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2019
    North of Tyne mayor
    Round II

Driscoll (Momentum/Lab) 76,862 votes.

Hoult (Con) 60,089
  • Options
    > @isam said:

It went long ago I think. I worked in betting shops in the late 90s and it was just how you described it. But now they’re desolate, miserable and empty. It’s all online and I can’t see a way of that changing except maybe applying a tax on online bets. There is probably enough business for maybe one shop per town.

That is true. I pop in still - I like to do the odd cash bet - but it is rather grim and I am not tempted to linger.
  • Options
    > @Cicero said:
    > > @TGOHF said:
    > > Indies and green have gained more than the LDs.
    > >
    > > Suggests the LDs shouldnt get too excited.
    >
    > No they haven't. The Lib Dems have gained over 450 as i write, while Greens have gained 102 and Others 150.

BBC reporting Independents up 370. The figures are a bit different depending where you look. What's your source?
  • Options
    > @TudorRose said:
    > > > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > >
    > > > 26.4%, Tories stemming the ratio of flow of losses :D
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > Tory losses now exceed 800 seats :lol:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I think they will end up over 1300 down, maybe even over 1400.
    > >
    > > Tories just lost their 30th council.
    >
    > Which will happen first; Tories go -1000 or Labour go -100?

Ooh I like that one. I'll go for Tories -1000 first.
  • Options
    > @nunuone said:
    > People on here told me there's no way the Tories were going to lose 1,000 seats.....hmmmmm

Con party can't even do expectation management.
  • Options
    Up to 26.8% now, Tories must have had a 'bad batch' in.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    TSE, any update from Vanilla?
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Posts: 63
    Whichever way you look at these elections, Labour losing seats is a disaster.
  • Options

So what moniker should I use for Gavin Williamson?

Disgraced national security risk is already used for Liam Fox, or is Gav the Miles Morales to Liam's Peter Parker?

Huawei Hero, of course!
  • Options
    > @IanB2 said:
    > Tories defending all 18 seats in Tunbridge Wells; held only five.

Sounds like the electorate there are well & truly disgusted.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2019
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/bbcelection/status/1124317921331773441

Labour shambles in the Northeast continues. No longer a heartland.
  • Options
    > @Sean_F said:
    > In about 35 minutes, the Conservatives should overhaul the combined Labour and Lib Dem seat total.

And chalk up another 35 lost seats
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    BBC now showing Greens have gained 125 councillors. Wow.
  • Options
    > @Cicero said:
    > > @TGOHF said:
    > >
    >
    > No they haven't. The Lib Dems have gained over 450 as i write, while Greens have gained 102 and Others 150.

BBC have Indies +382 and others on 0.
  • Options
    > @paulyork64 said:
    > > @TudorRose said:
    > > > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > > > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > >
    > > > > 26.4%, Tories stemming the ratio of flow of losses :D
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > > Tory losses now exceed 800 seats :lol:
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > I think they will end up over 1300 down, maybe even over 1400.
    > > >
    > > > Tories just lost their 30th council.
    > >
    > > Which will happen first; Tories go -1000 or Labour go -100?
    >
    > Ooh I like that one. I'll go for Tories -1000 first.

It'll be close but I reckon it'll be Labour -100 first.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    TGOHF said:

> @nunuone said:

> People on here told me there's no way the Tories were going to lose 1,000 seats.....hmmmmm

Con party can't even do expectation management.

Looks like Mike was not, in fact, correct about May's "masterstroke"
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

> @Sunil_Prasannan said:

>

> > 26.4%, Tories stemming the ratio of flow of losses :D

>

> >

>

> > Tory losses now exceed 800 seats :lol:

>

>

>

> I think they will end up over 1300 down, maybe even over 1400.

>

> Tories just lost their 30th council.

Which will happen first; Tories go -1000 or Labour go -100?

Or even LDs +500 ;)
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,327
    > @isam said:
    > > @TGOHF said:
    >
    >
    >
    > Not me - no street needs or wants a bookies- no upside to having one.
    >
    >
    >
    > Nor any need - bet online.
    >
    >
    >
    > *
    >
    >
    >
    > You're right of course. But still, the warm fug of the shop on a freezing day, a haven from the nagging wife, the surly yet affectionate camaraderie with the other punters, all of them hiding from someone or something, the companionable silence broken only by the chesty coughs and grunts of mild disappointment as another dog or horse fails to deliver, and tickets get screwed up and tossed to the floor - this is a slice of England that will soon be no more and it merits a wistful mention.
    >
    > It went long ago I think. I worked in betting shops in the late 90s and it was just how you described it. But now they’re desolate, miserable and empty. It’s all online and I can’t see a way of that changing except maybe applying a tax on online bets. There is probably enough business for maybe one shop per town.

There's a very nice Ladbrokes near Cheltenham that I use but mostly they're toilets now. Yes, I remember how they used to be, exactly as described above, but that all went soem time back. It's time to close them down.
  • Options
    > @Cicero said:
    > > @TGOHF said:
    > >
    >

Independents +378
    Greens + 124
    Residents +13
    ichc +6
    TOTAL +521
    LDs + 475

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/ceeqy0e9894t/england-local-elections-2019#councils-a
This discussion has been closed.