Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » All the signs are that turnout is down markedly

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

AndyJS said:

Councils that are expected to declare early:

"Broxbourne 00:01

Halton 00:01

Basildon 00:30

Harlow 00:30

Newark 00:30

Rochford 00:30

St Helens 00:30

Castle Point 01:00

Dacorum 01:00

East Hertfordshire 01:00

Hartlepool 01:00

North Tyneside 01:00

Salford 01:00

South Tyneside 01:00

Sunderland 01:00

Swindon 01:00

Tameside 01:00

Wolverhampton 01:00"

https://election.pressassociation.com/local-elections-declaration-time/

Sunderland slipping down the league table as usual.
    I thought Sunderland was fast at GEs, not locals?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    > @Thayer5 said:
    > ouch
    >
    > https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1124059505015382016

May could have done the seemingly impossible magic double - reanimating the barely twitching corpses of both Farage and the LibDems......
  • Options
    Thayer5Thayer5 Posts: 97
    edited May 2019
    > @brokenwheel said:

Yeah and when you add postals they’ll be 35-40% or average for a local election not on the same day as GE. A lot of people wailing about low turnouts don’t appreciate locals usually are lower turnout than GEs. <

_____

i was referring more to the text - saying Theresa has "killed the party". I agree on turnout, 20% isn't remarkably low, just low
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited May 2019
    > @Thayer5 said:
    > ouch
    >
    > https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1124059505015382016

These MPs are just gutless if they won't be public. Particularly when as any number of people have pointed out governments often lose hundreds upon hundreds of seats - it doesn't mean there is not a big problem for the Tories, particularly with the Euros coming up, but to act like May has killed the party for what might end up being a not unusually bad night (even if bad) just makes them look like fools as well unless the losses are historically high.

And sadly turnout around 20 is not unheard of in plenty of places - let us hope that is not the average at least. If turnout overall is in the thirties a lot of people will look silly
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    > @dyedwoolie said:
    > Currently Tories up 6 seats on 115 thanks to uncontested seats

Unusually, Labour have automatically gained a seat from the Tories on East Lindsey council in Lincolnshire. The Tories failed to put up a candidate in a safe ward for some reason.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > Councils that are expected to declare early:
    > >
    > > "Broxbourne 00:01
    > > Halton 00:01
    > > Basildon 00:30
    > > Harlow 00:30
    > > Newark 00:30
    > > Rochford 00:30
    > > St Helens 00:30
    > > Castle Point 01:00
    > > Dacorum 01:00
    > > East Hertfordshire 01:00
    > > Hartlepool 01:00
    > > North Tyneside 01:00
    > > Salford 01:00
    > > South Tyneside 01:00
    > > Sunderland 01:00
    > > Swindon 01:00
    > > Tameside 01:00
    > > Wolverhampton 01:00"
    > >
    > > https://election.pressassociation.com/local-elections-declaration-time/
    >
    > Wolverhampton LABOUR HOLD
    >

Barring mass defections, that result was known 364 days and 11 hours ago.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > Councils that are expected to declare early:
    >
    >
    >
    > "Broxbourne 00:01
    >
    > "
    >
    >
    >
    > https://election.pressassociation.com/local-elections-declaration-time/
    >
    > Sunderland slipping down the league table as usual.
    >
    > I thought Sunderland was fast at GEs, not locals?

They usually get the first individual ward results out for local elections, but the overall result may take longer for some reason.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,919
    edited May 2019
    > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > @Thayer5 said:
    > > ouch
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1124059505015382016
    >
    > May could have done the seemingly impossible magic double - reanimating the barely twitching corpses of both Farage and the LibDems......

Not to mention giving Corbyn the greatest endorsement he could have ever dreamed of by bringing him into government and letting him dictate what kind of Brexit she will implement,...
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @dyedwoolie said:
    > > Currently Tories up 6 seats on 115 thanks to uncontested seats
    >
    > Unusually, Labour have automatically gained a seat from the Tories on East Lindsey council in Lincolnshire. The Tories failed to put up a candidate in a safe ward for some reason.

Could have been an error - I've seen parties mess up their paperwork and seats be uncontested as a result.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    Most of you will be aware, but ward results available herehttp://britainelects.com/results/le2019/
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,132
    > @kle4 said:
    > > @Thayer5 said:
    > > ouch
    > >
    >
    > These MPs are just gutless if they won't be public. Particularly when as any number of people have pointed out governments often lose hundreds upon hundreds of seats - it doesn't mean there is not a big problem for the Tories, particularly with the Euros coming up, but to act like May has killed the party for what might end up being a not unusually bad night (even if bad) just makes them look like fools as well unless the losses are historically high.
    >
    > And sadly turnout around 20 is not unheard of in plenty of places - let us hope that is not the average at least. If turnout overall is in the thirties a lot of people will look silly

Of course that Conservative MP didn't say what he actually wants to do.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1124058456808460288

Thank God a disinterested party is making its opinion known.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > > @Thayer5 said:
    > > > ouch
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1124059505015382016
    > >
    > > May could have done the seemingly impossible magic double - reanimating the barely twitching corpses of both Farage and the LibDems......
    >
    > Not to mention by bringing giving Corbyn the greatest endorsement he could have ever dreamed by bringing him into government and letting him dictate what kind of Brexit she will implement,...

Not that crap again. Like him or hate him Corbyn is the only person who could conceivably deliver the votes for Brexit to occur at all. He won't do it, and it is totally fair to think the price of doing so is too high if it involves Corbyn, but the hysteria over seeking a majority in parliament on a divisive issue is just pathetic.
  • Options
    Who will be on the BBC at 3am calling on Theresa May to step down?

Bill Cash obviously... But who's intervention would actually be damaging to May?
  • Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > > > @Thayer5 said:
    > > > > ouch
    > > > >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1124059505015382016
    > > >
    > > > May could have done the seemingly impossible magic double - reanimating the barely twitching corpses of both Farage and the LibDems......
    > >
    > > Not to mention by bringing giving Corbyn the greatest endorsement he could have ever dreamed by bringing him into government and letting him dictate what kind of Brexit she will implement,...
    >
    > Not that crap again. Like him or hate him Corbyn is the only person who could conceivably deliver the votes for Brexit to occur at all. He won't do it, and it is totally fair to think the price of doing so is too high if it involves Corbyn, but the hysteria over seeking a majority in parliament on a divisive issue is just pathetic.

Calm down Kle. We're in for a long night... :D
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > > > > @Thayer5 said:
    > > > > > ouch
    > > > > >
    > > > > > https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1124059505015382016
    > > > >
    > > > > May could have done the seemingly impossible magic double - reanimating the barely twitching corpses of both Farage and the LibDems......
    > > >
    > > > Not to mention by bringing giving Corbyn the greatest endorsement he could have ever dreamed by bringing him into government and letting him dictate what kind of Brexit she will implement,...
    > >
    > > Not that crap again. Like him or hate him Corbyn is the only person who could conceivably deliver the votes for Brexit to occur at all. He won't do it, and it is totally fair to think the price of doing so is too high if it involves Corbyn, but the hysteria over seeking a majority in parliament on a divisive issue is just pathetic.
    >
    > Calm down Kle. We're in for a long night... :D

Not me, I'm going to bed - stayed up all night last locals, so taking this one off!
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > > @Thayer5 said:
    > > > ouch
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1124059505015382016
    > >
    > > May could have done the seemingly impossible magic double - reanimating the barely twitching corpses of both Farage and the LibDems......
    >
    > Not to mention giving Corbyn the greatest endorsement he could have ever dreamed of by bringing him into government and letting him dictate what kind of Brexit she will implement,...

So what else should May have done ?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I have a suspicion that the rather calm and unreadable Graham Brady has been playing a deflecting and holding game until these elections (and now the Euros).

If the results stink, I think this approach might change.
  • Options
    > @another_richard said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > > > @Thayer5 said:
    > > > > ouch
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > May could have done the seemingly impossible magic double - reanimating the barely twitching corpses of both Farage and the LibDems......
    > >
    > > Not to mention giving Corbyn the greatest endorsement he could have ever dreamed of by bringing him into government and letting him dictate what kind of Brexit she will implement,...
    >
    > So what else should May have done ?

Magicked a majority out of nothing and ignore parliament going against no deal.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > Who will be on the BBC at 3am calling on Theresa May to step down?
    >
    > Bill Cash obviously... But who's intervention would actually be damaging to May?

All of Javid, Hunt and Spreadsheet Phil.....
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @Thayer5 said:
    > > ouch
    > >
    >
    > That figure may not include postal votes, which comprise a much larger percentage of votes these days.

Also "at some polling stations".

At other polling stations, I'm sure, it's as high as 55%.

In 2018, overall local election turnout was 34.7%.
    In 2017, it was 35.1%
    In 2016, it was 33% for Metropolitan Councils, 33.3% for Unitaries, and and 34.6% for District Councils.

So, let's see how it looks shall we?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2019
    Wi
    Pulpstar said:

> @Roger said:

> > @Scott_P said:

> >

>

> LOL! He'd give trump a run for his money

I get the vibe Boris hasn't written that tweet himself
    Doesn’t Boris own a house in Oxfordshire - he could have voted there. You can vote in local elections in more than one area.

Is Robinson already milking the system before he becomes an MEP?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    rcs1000 said:

> @Scott_P said:

>

Thank God a disinterested party is making its opinion known.
    On what planet is an administration that arbitrarily imposed tariffs on allies on the grounds of “national security” a “disinterested party?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    What is there to bet on tonight?
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    >
    > Bill Cash obviously... But who's intervention would actually be damaging to May?

A Gavin Williamson speech...
  • Options
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > On what planet is an administration that arbitrarily imposed tariffs on allies on the grounds of “national security” a “disinterested party?

Do they not have sarcasm is your part of the world?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    >On what planet is an administration that arbitrarily imposed tariffs on allies on the grounds of “national security” a “disinterested party? <

_____

Uh, Planet Sarcasm, I think.
  • Options
    > @another_richard said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > > > @Thayer5 said:
    > > > > ouch
    > > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > Not to mention giving Corbyn the greatest endorsement he could have ever dreamed of by bringing him into government and letting him dictate what kind of Brexit she will implement,...
    >
    > So what else should May have done ?

Where shall we start?

Not stood for a role (Prime Minister) she is not up to?

Not held a vanity election and blown a 20% opinion poll lead in four weeks along with Cameron's majority.

Not said over and over and over again that No Deal was better than a bad deal.

Not said over and over and over again that we'd leave the EU on 29th March.

Not got Ollie Robbins to cook up a deal that would never get through Parliament while throwing Brexiteers to the wolves.

We could go on but I'm sure you get the point...
  • Options
    > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > Who will be on the BBC at 3am calling on Theresa May to step down?
    > >
    > > Bill Cash obviously... But who's intervention would actually be damaging to May?
    >
    > All of Javid, Hunt and Spreadsheet Phil.....

Sure, although frankly I'm not sure how they'd justify it. Ok, let's say the results are terrible, not just bad, as is certainly possible. Like many of their colleagues and probably them privately they agree she has to go and now publicly say so. But unless they also repudiate her Brexit approach what's the point of saying how bad she is doing, and it's a bit like Labour MPs who claim to dislike Corbyn and care about all the anti-semitism issues - if they haven't already gone, what could possibly justify going now?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Any word when we get the first results?

I was thinking about doing another live spreadsheet this year, but there were so many councils up and I didn't have time to do it. Poor predicted performance from the Blues played no part in my decision... :p. Maybe next year.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    isam said:

All join together and condemn this brutal act. I blame the toxic climate created by Brexit

https://twitter.com/magawk/status/1124017593373868032?s=21

To quote the great philosopher who filmed the incident "That's what you get for being a Facist."
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > Any word when we get the first results?
    >
    > I was thinking about doing another live spreadsheet this year, but there were so many councils up and I didn't have time to do it. Poor predicted performance from the Blues played no part in my decision... :p. Maybe next year.

Excellent - that was an awesome spreadsheet awhile back.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    RobD said:

I was thinking about doing another live spreadsheet this year, but there were so many councils up and I didn't have time to do it. Poor predicted performance from the Blues played no part in my decision... :p. Maybe next year.

Should start to get full councils around midnight.
  • Options
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > Any word when we get the first results?
    >
    >
    >
    > I was thinking about doing another live spreadsheet this year, but there were so many councils up and I didn't have time to do it. Poor predicted performance from the Blues played no part in my decision... :p. Maybe next year.
    >
    > Should start to get full councils around midnight.

The first wards are usually declared from Sunderland at about 11:30pm.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    I made a point of going with my wife and daughter to vote today. It was my daughter's first time having just turned 18 and I wanted to set a good example. I made sure she knew it was her decision on who she voted for and did my absolute damndest to make sure she did some independent research on the local candidates before she voted. I think that it is important to take part in the act of attending the polling station even if, as in my case, the resultant ballot was spoiled.

My choice was between 2 Tories who have been councillors for more than a decade, 2 Labour and a Green. I could not bring myself to actually vote for any of them so I spoiled my ballot. I do wonder how many others there are amongst those who did actually vote who felt similarly about the importance of the act but who could not face voting for any of the parties or candidates concerned.
  • Options
    > @Barnesian said:
    > What is there to bet on tonight?

You could bet on Theresa May resigning if the results are truly shocking for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,422
    dixiedean said:

> @GIN1138 said:

>

A Gavin Williamson speech...

Her husband saying that's enough now. Let's away to Wales.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > I made a point of going with my wife and daughter to vote today. It was my daughter's first time having just turned 18 and I wanted to set a good example. I made sure she knew it was her decision on who she voted for and did my absolute damndest to make sure she did some independent research on the local candidates before she voted. I think that it is important to take part in the act of attending the polling station even if, as in my case, the resultant ballot was spoiled.
    >
    > My choice was between 2 Tories who have been councillors for more than a decade, 2 Labour and a Green. I could not bring myself to actually vote for any of them so I spoiled my ballot. I do wonder how many others there are amongst those who did actually vote who felt similarly about the importance of the act but who could not face voting for any of the parties or candidates concerned.

I wanted to spoilt my ballot paper but couldn't do it in the end and voted for candidates I don't really support which was not a good feeling.
  • Options
    LibDem?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,880
    brendan16 said:

Doesn’t Boris own a house in Oxfordshire - he could have voted there.

Yes, just west of Thame (North Weston). Haseley Brook ward. Very safe Con hold.
  • Options
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > I made a point of going with my wife and daughter to vote today. It was my daughter's first time having just turned 18 and I wanted to set a good example. I made sure she knew it was her decision on who she voted for and did my absolute damndest to make sure she did some independent research on the local candidates before she voted. I think that it is important to take part in the act of attending the polling station even if, as in my case, the resultant ballot was spoiled.
    >
    > My choice was between 2 Tories who have been councillors for more than a decade, 2 Labour and a Green. I could not bring myself to actually vote for any of them so I spoiled my ballot. I do wonder how many others there are amongst those who did actually vote who felt similarly about the importance of the act but who could not face voting for any of the parties or candidates concerned.

I remember my very first time voting was in the 1996 local elections.

Your first time walking into a polling station to vote is something that stays with you for life.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    RobD said:

Still cheerleading for the Tories?

I think most people gave up the party-partisan arse licking long ago.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

> @Barnesian said:

> What is there to bet on tonight?

You could bet on Theresa May resigning if the results are truly shocking for the Conservatives.

Royal baby name?

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/special-bets/market/1.149625939
  • Options
    Mmmm. Cleverly blaming losses on "Labour not helping the government ".
    Nominative determinism missed there I reckon.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @another_richard said:
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > > > > @Thayer5 said:
    > > > > > ouch
    > > > > >
    > > > > > https://twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1124059505015382016
    > > > >
    > > > > May could have done the seemingly impossible magic double - reanimating the barely twitching corpses of both Farage and the LibDems......
    > > >
    > > > Not to mention giving Corbyn the greatest endorsement he could have ever dreamed of by bringing him into government and letting him dictate what kind of Brexit she will implement,...
    > >
    > > So what else should May have done ?
    >
    > Where shall we start?
    >
    > Not stood for a role (Prime Minister) she is not up to?
    >
    > Not held a vanity election and blown a 20% opinion poll lead in four weeks along with Cameron's majority.
    >
    > Not said over and over and over again that No Deal was better than a bad deal.
    >
    > Not said over and over and over again that we'd leave the EU on 29th March.
    >
    > Not got Ollie Robbins to cook up a deal that would never get through Parliament while throwing Brexiteers to the wolves.
    >
    > We could go on but I'm sure you get the point...

Your points:

1) May was elected to the Conservative leadership unopposed - blame Conservative MPs for that - not that the Conservatives have much in the way of people who are up to the job of being PM

2) The election was a shambles but the 20% lead was something which May had created in the first place. And what happened afterwards ? The Conservatives allowed May to stay as PM.

3) May never said No Deal was better than a good deal and she certainly never said that No Deal was better than any deal which is clearly what the ERG fanatics believe but don't have the courage to admit.

4) We would have left in March if Parliament had approved the WA - perhaps you should blame those MPs who opposed it.

5) Please tell us what deal would have got through Parliament and how the Brexiteers have been thrown to the wolves.
  • Options
    On a different note, I think it's quite wonderfully British that throwing milkshakes at Tommy Robinson shows every sign of becoming a tradition.
  • Options
    > @dixiedean said:
    > Mmmm. Cleverly blaming losses on "Labour not helping the government ".
    > Nominative determinism missed there I reckon.

LOL! Is that actually going to be their spin line? Nasty Labour didn't save us so we've lost all our councils?

Reaching El Gord levels of desperation quite honestly...
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @dixiedean said:
    > > Mmmm. Cleverly blaming losses on "Labour not helping the government ".
    > > Nominative determinism missed there I reckon.
    >
    > LOL! Is that actually going to be their spin line? Nasty Labour didn't save us so we've lost all our councils?
    >
    > Reaching El Gord levels of desperation quite honestly...

I assume they'd prefer the message to received more as 'We are at least trying to deliver Brexit of some kind, unlike everyone else' but I don't see that cutting through, particular when for the Euros the Brexit party can stand for Brexit without any equivocation on any aspect, since they don't need to worry about Westminster.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @El_Capitano said:
    > On a different note, I think it's quite wonderfully British that throwing milkshakes at Tommy Robinson shows every sign of becoming a tradition. <

______

I don't. How about NOT throwing milkshakes, eggs, punches, spears or gobs of spit at anyone standing for office, whatever their odious views?

Argue with them. Belittle them. Much better.
  • Options
    augustus_carpaugustus_carp Posts: 224
    I am no longer active in politics (indeed, I claim to be no longer interested) but I went to help my brother in law get re-elected in St Albans today. FWIW, it seemed to us that turnout was reasonable - running at about a voter a minute for a couple of hours between 6:00 and 8:00.
  • Options
    Sky News are in Peterborough. Interesting choice.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @dixiedean said:
    > > Mmmm. Cleverly blaming losses on "Labour not helping the government ".
    > > Nominative determinism missed there I reckon.
    >
    > LOL! Is that actually going to be their spin line? Nasty Labour didn't save us so we've lost all our councils?
    >
    > Reaching El Gord levels of desperation quite honestly...

So what do you suggest that they should do.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Thayer5 said:

> @El_Capitano said:

> On a different note, I think it's quite wonderfully British that throwing milkshakes at Tommy Robinson shows every sign of becoming a tradition. <

______

I don't. How about NOT throwing milkshakes, eggs, punches, spears or gobs of spit at anyone standing for office, whatever their odious views?

Argue with them. Belittle them. Much better.

That is absolutely the responsible attitude to take and I commend you for it.

However, seeing Tommy Robinson covered in a different McFlurry every day would be fucking hilarious.
  • Options
    I see the UKIPgraph are trying to rehabilitate their boy, Pike:

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1124058187680952320
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Sky News are in Peterborough. Interesting choice.

SN is plural now?
  • Options
    Breaking News:

BBC Newsnight — Theresa May has given up trying to stop the Euro elections going ahead. They're going to happen.
  • Options
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > I see the UKIPgraph are trying to rehabilitate their boy, Pike:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1124058187680952320

The overall security risk issue certainly seems like it has legs, but the subheading about them 'admitting no crime was committed' is unmitigated bullcrap. Are they suggesting a crime would need to be committed for a sacking to be justified?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @El_Capitano said:

> That is absolutely the responsible attitude to take and I commend you for it.
    >
    > However, seeing Tommy Robinson covered in a different McFlurry every day would be fucking hilarious. <

____

I find Jeremy Corbyn just as loathsome as Robinson, indeed possibly more so, as Corbyn is as virulently anti-Semitic as Robinson is Islamophobic, plus Corbyn is a clear and distinct threat to the UK's integrity and security (unlike Yaxley Lennon, who is a sad & troubled character going nowhere).

Presumably, therefore, you are OK with me throwing rotten eggs at Corbyn every single morning for the rest of time?
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Breaking News:
    >
    > BBC Newsnight — Theresa May has given up trying to stop the Euro elections going ahead. They're going to happen.

No doubt she'll be blamed for admitting the truth that it is too late to stop them.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,978
    edited May 2019
    Thayer5 said:

> On a different note, I think it's quite wonderfully British that throwing milkshakes at Tommy Robinson shows every sign of becoming a tradition.

I don't. How about NOT throwing milkshakes, eggs, punches, spears or gobs of spit at anyone standing for office, whatever their odious views? Argue with them. Belittle them. Much better
    If I understand correctly Tommy Robinson has a history of locating your or your parent's house and turning up at about 3am with some friends to threaten you or them. What form of argument or belittlement would you deploy in such circumstances?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @ReggieCide said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > Sky News are in Peterborough. Interesting choice.
    >
    > SN is plural now?

They can be either singular or plural, like Labour. Labour is going to win, Labour are going to win. Both sound okay.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

> @AndyJS said:

> Sky News are in Peterborough. Interesting choice.

SN is plural now?

Otherwise they would be Sky New
  • Options
    Ken Clarke: "We could have left by now if it wasn't for the ERG".

Absolutely.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @viewcode said:

> If I understand correctly Tommy Robinson has a history of locating your or your parent's house and turning up at about 3am with some friends to threaten you or them. What form of argument or belittlement would you deploy in such circumstances? <

_____

I would call the police, and if he is breaking the law, he will be convicted and go to jail - as he has done, several times.
  • Options
    Newsnight — UK to get strong warning from USA next week over Huawei.
  • Options
    3 lab holds, 2 in Sunderland 1 basildon
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @Barnesian said:
    > > What is there to bet on tonight?
    >
    > You could bet on Theresa May resigning if the results are truly shocking for the Conservatives.

I've bet the other way. I've laid her a while ago at 1.09 to survive 2019.

I'm all green on number of Tory seats and win £50 if it is 4000 to 4099. But the seats markets are very illiquid. Where is the excitement if you don't have money in the game? It's like going to a horse race meeting and not betting.
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Ken Clarke: "We could have left by now if it wasn't for the ERG".
    >
    > Absolutely.

Which is bollocks. Because they don't have the numbers.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2019
    First ward from Sunderland

Silksworth

Lab 1090
    UKIP 818
    Con 572
    Green 279
    Populist 136
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > I see the UKIPgraph are trying to rehabilitate their boy, Pike:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1124058187680952320

To rival Page 3, The Telegraph displays a couple of pairs of spaniel ' s ears on the front page.

Night all. If you are staying up, enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Second ward from Sunderland

Washington North

Lab 1007
    UKIP 702
    Con 287
    Green 275
    LD 85
  • Options

Silksworth & Wasington North

Lab 1090

UKIP 818

Con 572

Green 279

Populist 136

UKIP doing ok where they are actually standing?
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    The Lib Dems will do well tonight by default not because they are suddenly popular but because they are second to the Tories in many of the shires where the local elections taking place.

No doubt Sky News et all will out this into context rather then claiming this is some victory for Remain....

.......I won't hold my breath tho.
  • Options
    I see the Tories got as high as 22 seats on Sunderland City Council a mere 11 years ago. Different times. ALthough they did gain seats last year to rise back to 8.
  • Options
    > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > Second ward from Sunderland
    >
    > Washington North
    >
    > Lab 1007
    > UKIP 702
    > Con 287
    > Green 275
    > LD 85

Aren't these incredibly strong UKIP results, given that the party is meant to have collapsed?!

Or maybe I don't see something?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > Second ward from Sunderland
    >
    > Washington North
    >
    > Lab 1007
    > UKIP 702
    > Con 287
    > Green 275
    > LD 85

Can we find the changes in votes from last time anywhere?
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    What is wrong with the comments?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Wouldn't be surprised if we see some very high numbers of spoilt ballots, especially in those areas where there were no independents standing.
  • Options
    I'm already disgusted by the UKIP showing in Sunderland
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    > @Thayer5 said:
    > > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > > Second ward from Sunderland
    > >
    > > Washington North
    > >
    > > Lab 1007
    > > UKIP 702
    > > Con 287
    > > Green 275
    > > LD 85
    >
    > Aren't these incredibly strong UKIP results, given that the party is meant to have collapsed?!
    >
    > Or maybe I don't see something?

Kippers strong in Sunderland.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

Silksworth

Lab 1090

UKIP 818

Con 572

Green 279

Populist 136

Swing against Lab there.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @ralphmalph said:
    > >
    > > Washington North
    > >
    > > Lab 1007
    > > UKIP 702
    > > Con 287
    > > Green 275
    > > LD 85
    >
    > Can we find the changes in votes from last time anywhere? <

_____

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1124075453369733121

As I thought, UKIP have surged. Labour in freefall.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Newsnight — UK to get strong warning from USA next week over Huawei.

Oh well. Bang goes our big, beautiful trade deal.
    Tantalisingly close it was, too.
  • Options
    > @ralphmalph said:
    > >
    > > Washington North
    > >
    > > Lab 1007
    > > UKIP 702
    > > Con 287
    > > Green 275
    > > LD 85
    >
    > Can we find the changes in votes from last time anywhere?

2018 results:

https://www.andrewteale.me.uk/leap/results/2018/56/
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    > @Thayer5 said:
    > >
    > > Washington North
    > >
    > > Lab 1007
    > > UKIP 702
    > > Con 287
    > > Green 275
    > > LD 85
    >
    > Aren't these incredibly strong UKIP results, given that the party is meant to have collapsed?!
    >
    > Or maybe I don't see something?

This was my first thought.
  • Options
    I still remember being at the count in my area in 2013 and the excitement at the first result announced - a UKIP gain from LD. What change could be on the horizon so many thought, as tales of UKIP breakthroughs in other regions came through.

In the end it was the only seat out of 98 that they won. That's elections for you, just weird.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Sunderland - Hendon

George Edward BROWN – Conservative - 280

Kristian BROWN – Independent - 204

Thomas CRAWFORD – Liberal Democrat - 134

Martin Edward MOORE – UKIP - 581

Gary OGLE – Green Party - 189

Lynda SCANLAN – Labour - 817

Lab hold
  • Options
    > @Thayer5 said:
    > > @ralphmalph said:
    > > > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > > > Second ward from Sunderland
    > > >
    > > > Washington North
    > > >
    > > > Lab 1007
    > > > UKIP 702
    > > > Con 287
    > > > Green 275
    > > > LD 85
    > >
    > > Can we find the changes in votes from last time anywhere? <
    >
    > _____
    >
    > https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1124075453369733121
    >
    > As I thought, UKIP have surged. Labour in freefall.

They can freefall all they want in some areas so long as they still win in them!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

> @Thayer5 said:

> > @ralphmalph said:

> > > @AndreaParma_82 said:

> > > Second ward from Sunderland

> > >

> > > Washington North

> > >

> > > Lab 1007

> > > UKIP 702

> > > Con 287

> > > Green 275

> > > LD 85

> >

> > Can we find the changes in votes from last time anywhere? <

>

> _____

>

>

>

> As I thought, UKIP have surged. Labour in freefall.

They can freefall all they want in some areas so long as they still win in them!
    A win is a win.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Washington North

Lab 1007 (1514)
    UKIP 702 (0)
    Con 287 (443)
    Green 275 (170)
    LD 85 (120)

Previous votes in brackets.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Yikes, these are good UKIP results. Big gains even on 2015 (when they were at a sorta high point).
This discussion has been closed.