Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » All the signs are that turnout is down markedly

Comments

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    > @williamglenn said:
    > Some spectacular results for the Greens.

I voted Green today for the first time in my life. It was the closest I could get to a protest vote, with no independent or SDP or etc in my area. Should think it's the same in a lot of areas.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,880
    The chair of the Green Party is a friend and a fellow town councillor. I will buy her a drink tomorrow if this carries on.

Unless (as I fear) she splits the vote in our ward and the Conservative displaces the Lib Dem, in which case she can damn well buy me one.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    dixiedean said:

Re Huawei. Best, closest pronunciation is Whah (Scots wh sound) way as in a street. Quote function crashing my site on IPad quicker than the Labour vote in Sunderland.

Same here. Very annoying. With that and the rubbish quote system, the site is becoming unreadable.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited May 2019
    Looks fun
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1124085918724493312
    Presumably not as dramatic as it seems.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    > @Gallowgate said:
    > https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1124088488004128771
    >
    >
    >
    > :)

Has Sunderland gone NOC yet? lol!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2019
    Re South Tyneside

because there are 13 undeclared wards at the moment and even if Labour lose all of them they will keep the majority on the council as only 1/3 was up

> @El_Capitano said:
    > The BBC elections ticker has suddenly announced council holds for Broxbourne (Con), Wigan (Lab), South Tyneside (Lab), Havant (Con). Err... why?
    >
    > Also, WTF GREENS GAIN BIRKENHEAD
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/02/gavin-williamson-allies-reveal-evidence-confronted-theresa-may/
    >
    >
    >
    > Claim by Williamson that the only evidence against him is the fact of his 11 minute call to the telegraph.
    >
    > "only"
    >
    > To the journalist that broke the story the following day.
    >
    > If you were PM, would you have confidence in such a minister?

I am reporting this, not endorsing it. But the answer is that i would reserve judgment, in view of Williamsons claim that

The phone calls included an 11-minute conversation with Steven Swinford, The Daily Telegraph’s deputy political editor, which, Mr Williamson explained, had been about other matters which he detailed to the investigator.

If that is true Williamson has the right to have the claim investigated.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    The real questions have to be asked of Labour tonight, not Tories.

https://mobile.twitter.com/britainelects/status/1124089301367758946
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @Thayer5 said:
    > @Danny565 said:
    >
    > > > You what? NO.
    > >
    > > Your writing style just reminds me of his. :p <
    >
    > _______
    >
    > I take that as a mild compliment. I lurked for a longtime. He was entertaining - but far too angry and Brexity for me.

Only on Mondays and Fridays

Consistency not his strong point
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Posts: 63
    Coverage on Beeb stating 'terrible night for The Tories.' Maybe, but Labour failing being ignored.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426

Some spectacular results for the Greens.

Early. But look what is happening in Germany where SDP collapsed and AfD are on the rise.
  • Options
    Thayer5Thayer5 Posts: 97
    These are remarkably bad results for Labour. At midterm, facing the most inept government since Aethelred the Constantly Sodomised.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Peter Mayhew, Chewbacca in Star Wars, died today aged 74.

<Lets out Wookiee war cry>

<goes to bed>
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    In re deadly pestilence and dwelling-places.

I'm jolly thankful there was an Indy in my ward to vote for.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Turnout felt high in my Surrey (Waverley Binscombe) ward. The Labour promise turned out at General election levels (70-80%) but there were lots of Tories too - the polling station was bust all day without interruption. I genuinely have no idea what to expect. The returning officer claimed it was illegal to tell us the total turnout figure - something that's news to me, can anyone confirm this view?

But as I reported earlier, I expect the LibDems to be the obvious winners overall, without a real Tory meltdown.

Best of luck Nick.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @Gallowgate said:
    > > https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1124086864879788040
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Labour down also in working class area of Newcastle. Previous election was only last year.
    >
    > The problem of sitting on the fence is that you lose votes to both sides.

But Labour aren't seen as on the fence. Per YouGov, more than three times as many people see them as anti-Brexit than pro-. And the result is a big net loss of votes.

If Labour want to win the next election, they're just going to have to pass May's shitty deal and put up with a few people on Twitter whining about it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Ishmael_Z said:

The phone calls included an 11-minute conversation with Steven Swinford, The Daily Telegraph’s deputy political editor, which, Mr Williamson explained, had been about other matters

Strange that Swinford's scoop was about something else entirely different, donchathink?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    It's past midnight and the Tories are still on net gain territory. Labour are in -14 territory. Big lolz.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    John Curtice!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    DoubleD said:

Coverage on Beeb stating 'terrible night for The Tories.' Maybe, but Labour failing being ignored.

As usual the Beeb have a script and are glacially slow at reacting to events.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > The phone calls included an 11-minute conversation with Steven Swinford, The Daily Telegraph’s deputy political editor, which, Mr Williamson explained, had been about other matters
    >
    > Strange that Swinford's scoop was about something else entirely different, donchathink?

Yes, very good, award yourself a medal for idiot cunning.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    > @DoubleD said:
    > Coverage on Beeb stating 'terrible night for The Tories.' Maybe, but Labour failing being ignored.

It took about 700 gains for the bbc to admit that tories had a good night under IDS I think it was.
  • Options
    John Curtis: no evidence that turnout is down on normal local election only turnout.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,132
    edited May 2019
    > @AndyJS said:
    > I think the Tories have gained Barnes in Sunderland. (Assuming it was Labour before).
    >
    > Con 1216
    > Lab 1009
    > UKIP 479
    > LD 430
    > Green 225
    >
    > https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/media/21288/Results-of-Poll-Local-Government-Election-May-2019-Barnes-ward/pdf/Local_Declaration_Coms_for_Barnes_correct_as_of_Friday__3_May_2019_0_12.pdf?m=636924393228330000

4 Con and 2 UKIP (plus the LibDems and Greens) gains in Sunderland it seems:

https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/
  • Options
    > @TGOHF said:
    > Coverage on Beeb stating 'terrible night for The Tories.' Maybe, but Labour failing being ignored.
    >
    > As usual the Beeb have a script and are glacially slow at reacting to events.<

_____

The ever reliable Laura k is now rising to the challenge. The BBC are lucky to have her, especially with the vile abuse she gets on social media.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Most of the received wisdom of what would happen tonight has turned out to be wrong so far: turnout isn't down, Labour aren't doing well, UKIP are doing better than expected. All of those are the opposite of what the media was saying was likely.
  • Options
    With Michael Crick stepping down, we have a new King Queen of the Doorstep:

https://twitter.com/EmmaVardyTV/status/1124082380602519558
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Drutt said:

Peter Mayhew, Chewbacca in Star Wars, died today aged 74.

RIP
  • Options
    > @Danny565 said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > @Gallowgate said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1124086864879788040
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Labour down also in working class area of Newcastle. Previous election was only last year.
    > >
    > > The problem of sitting on the fence is that you lose votes to both sides.
    >
    > But Labour aren't seen as on the fence. Per YouGov, more than three times as many people see them as anti-Brexit than pro-. And the result is a big net loss of votes.
    >
    > If Labour want to win the next election, they're just going to have to pass May's shitty deal and put up with a few people on Twitter whining about it.

Nail on the head.
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Posts: 63
    Labour-15. Tories +2. Love it
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

> @Foxy said:

> > @Gallowgate said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Labour down also in working class area of Newcastle. Previous election was only last year.

>

> The problem of sitting on the fence is that you lose votes to both sides.

But Labour aren't seen as on the fence. Per YouGov, more than three times as many people see them as anti-Brexit than pro-. And the result is a big net loss of votes.

If Labour want to win the next election, they're just going to have to pass May's shitty deal and put up with a few people on Twitter whining about it.
    Never going to happen. Those MPs who want so desperately to remain passing a deal without a referendum?

Brexit may well be more important for both sides than winning a GE.
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    In my ward [counts tomorrow] in South Norfolk: Turnout estimated by speaking to presiding officers at 2130 and making the allowance for the 60pc turnout for postals [from Deputy RO] is 37%. In 2011 [the last 'normal' election] t/out as 49pc. Last time [GE] was 76.6pc. So: turnout down but not outrageously so.

Boundary changes affect incumbency: Boundary changes in c50 of 250 councils being fought in this cycle, don't forget.

Bunnco - Your Man on the Spot
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    If Greens do well tonight, might they come 2nd to BP in euros as Lab Remainers who are besides angry at Jezza, decide to vote for the party who are clearly remain and are not LibDem tuition fee merchants etc etc?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    > @KentRising said:
    > It's past midnight and the Tories are still on net gain territory. Labour are in -14 territory. Big lolz.

Agreed. Still dire. Tory shires not in though.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Some spectacular results for the Greens.
    >
    > Early. But look what is happening in Germany where SDP collapsed and AfD are on the rise.

AfD seem to have dropped back significantly over the year
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    DoubleD said:

Labour-15. Tories +2. Love it

Might want to call it a night before crossover happens :)

Night all.

I look forward to seeing how many Tories eviscerate May in the morning.
  • Options

With Michael Crick stepping down, we have a new King Queen of the Doorstep

Outstanding.

I'm sure @Foxy of this parish will approve of such a combative Vardy.
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1124089939908550659

Remember when those sort of protest votes went to the LibDems ?

And also suggests that the splitters are going to struggle even more.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,715
    And for me:

Election results for Victoria
    Sefton Council Elections - Thursday 2nd May, 2019

Victoria - results
    Election Candidate Party Votes %
    Leslie Byrom C.B.E. The Labour Party 1675 48% Elected
    Hannah Jane Gee Liberal Democrats 1003 29% Not elected
    Andrew Roy Donegan The Green Party 427 12% Not elected
    Paul Martyn Barber Conservative Party 351 10% Not elected
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Labour winning everything on Newcastle CC as usual. The uncontested Labour fiefdom continues.
  • Options
    > @DoubleD said:
    > Labour-15. Tories +2. Love it

There's going to be big Tory losses once all those southern councils start reporting.
  • Options
    > @DoubleD said:

I have a confession to make

I posted yesterday I wanted the tories monstered

I posted earlier that as I entered polling station I had no idea who I was going to vote for.

Looking at the choices I went blue.
  • Options
    a Green gain also in St Helens
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

John Curtis: no evidence that turnout is down on normal local election only turnout.

I swear people really wanted turnout to be down to suit a narrative of increasing apathy and discontentment.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    > @Danny565 said:
    > But Labour aren't seen as on the fence. Per YouGov, more than three times as many people see them as anti-Brexit than pro-. And the result is a big net loss of votes.

I don't think that follows. I guess I'd say "anti" in a forced choice but I think what they're doing is increasingly ludicrous triangulation, and coming from a remainian end I'm very much in a "I hope this party is destroyed and disappears from the face of the earth" kind of mood towards them.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    > @kle4 said:
    > John Curtis: no evidence that turnout is down on normal local election only turnout.
    >
    > I swear people really wanted turnout to be down to suit a narrative of increasing apathy and discontentment.

Of course.
  • Options
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > With Michael Crick stepping down, we have a new King Queen of the Doorstep:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/EmmaVardyTV/status/1124082380602519558

Very brave reporting. Well done that woman.
  • Options
    Lib Dems gaining a seat off Labour in Newcastle.
  • Options

Labour winning everything on Newcastle CC as usual. The uncontested Labour fiefdom continues.

I take it back somewhat. Very remainy area though.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1124093715486846976?s=21
  • Options

Lib Dems just took Ouseburn with a 28% swing.
  • Options
    Another Green gain from Labour in Wirral by a landslide
  • Options
    Floater said:

> @DoubleD said:

I have a confession to make

I posted yesterday I wanted the tories monstered

I posted earlier that as I entered polling station I had no idea who I was going to vote for.

Looking at the choices I went blue.

Sunil means "blue" :)
  • Options

Another Green gain from Labour in Wirral by a landslide

Labour leaking votes on both sides of the fence. Fancy that.
  • Options
    Barry Gardiner losing it on BBC. lol. Labour are rattled.
  • Options
    Labour are net -4 in South Tyneside.
  • Options

The Shoredich of Newcastle!
  • Options

The Shoredich of Newcastle!
    Haha! But fascinating. If Labour are losing the Shoreditches of this world...
  • Options
    Tories would be ecstatic withthat I imagine.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2019

> @Danny565 said:

I don't think that follows. I guess I'd say "anti" in a forced choice but I think what they're doing is increasingly ludicrous triangulation, and coming from a remainian end I'm very much in a "I hope this party is destroyed and disappears from the face of the earth" kind of mood towards them.

Well, it wasn't completely a forced choice. People had the option in that poll of saying "Neither" or even "Don't Know" if they felt Labour were on the fence.

I agree with you that people are hacked off with how Jezza has handled it, but not because of "triangulation" as such: on the contrary, in my experience, people (Remain voters and Leave voters) are mostly hacked off at him being too dogmatically anti-Brexit, and point-blank refusing to vote through anything the Tories propose on Brexit. And people seemed especially pissed when he initially refused to talk to Theresa May when she first offered talks back in January. The idea that people, even Remain voters, are desperate for him to become even more inflexible, and use every waking moment to demand a "People's Vote", has always been a fantasy.
  • Options
    Perhaps both main leaders will be under pressure, tomorrow.
  • Options
    Wirral - Rock Ferry

former Militant council leader from the 80s 1218
    sitting deselected Cllr 1095
    Greens 312
    Con 160
  • Options
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > https://twitter.com/DamianSurvation/status/1124089794701799425

69% for Con + Lab looks unlikely on these results.
  • Options
    Labour lose Callerton and Throckley on Newcastle to IND
  • Options
    Con gain Pensby and Thingwall from Labour in Wirral
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > Con gain Pensby and Thingwall from Labour in Wirral

These results are mad.
  • Options
    The Greens are destroying Labour, perhaps they are taking votes from Labour Remainers and maybe also Labour Leavers who can't find alternative protest candidates
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    Green may turn out to be the story. Coming up on the rails unspotted.
    At least they have a policy. Unashamed.
  • Options
    LabourList sounds mildly suicidal
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    More bad news for Labour on the horizon....

https://twitter.com/BBCLookNorth/status/1124087436592713729
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > https://twitter.com/tomashoughton/status/1124092906845945856

Prenton was for many years a safe LibDem ward.
  • Options
    Liverpool

Allerton & Hunts Cross

LAB: 2,318
    LD: 1,709
    GREEN: 337
    CON: 213

this is good for Labour as they held it by 2% last year
  • Options
    > @Thayer5 said:
    > LabourList sounds mildly suicidal

I would love the anti semite marxists to get a pasting
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    > @another_richard said:
    > > @CarlottaVance said:
    > > https://twitter.com/DamianSurvation/status/1124089794701799425
    >
    > 69% for Con + Lab looks unlikely on these results.

It's NEV, so treat with caution.
  • Options
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,715
    I know few care in a Bootle ward, but looking at my result:

Labour significantly down - drops below 50% which is the first time since 2014.
    Turnout not really down on last year. 32% from 34%.
    Conservatives go (slightly) backwards too. Lib Dems and Green are the biggest winners here.

Victoria was a fairly solid Lib Dem ward throughout the 1990s to 2010s.

So, here, I'd say neither Con nor Lab have anything to cheer about, especially not Labour.
    Lib Dems and Greens both making progress.
    Turnout is NOT significantly down.
  • Options

Liverpool

Allerton & Hunts Cross

LAB: 2,318

LD: 1,709

GREEN: 337

CON: 213

this is good for Labour as they held it by 2% last year

Yeah, maybe they’ll get 90% in Liverpool instead of 80%...
  • Options
    Con gain Hulton from Labour in Bolton

Bolton council is quite unpopular. They were losing by-elections in huge swings in recent months
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Green may turn out to be the story. Coming up on the rails unspotted.

At least they have a policy. Unashamed.

Election Rebellion?
  • Options
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > @DoubleD said:
    >
    > > Labour-15. Tories +2. Love it
    >
    >
    >
    > I have a confession to make
    >
    >
    >
    > I posted yesterday I wanted the tories monstered
    >
    >
    >
    > I posted earlier that as I entered polling station I had no idea who I was going to vote for.
    >
    >
    >
    > Looking at the choices I went blue.
    >
    > Sunil means "blue" :)

I thought it meant train spotter :-)
  • Options
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > Pike won't 'Go away and shut up':
    >
    > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1124096591294607360

This will likely bring down Theresa, I reck.

It will be the perfect excuse to remove her.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Labour lose control of Hartlepool.
  • Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > https://twitter.com/DamianSurvation/status/1124089794701799425
    >
    >
    >
    > Tories would be ecstatic withthat I imagine.

Beyond ecstatic - for a governing party to be ahead two years after the GE would be remarkable.

Especially given the mess the government is in.
  • Options
    > @El_Capitano said:
    > Labour winning everything on Newcastle CC as usual. The uncontested Labour fiefdom continues.
    >
    > Lib Dems just took Ouseburn with a 28% swing.

I wasn't interested and was going to bed - now it looks like a late one :-)
  • Options
    LABOUR LOSE HARTLEPOOL

I really did not expect that to be the first headline of the night.
  • Options
    > @TheValiant said:
    > I know few care in a Bootle ward, but looking at my result:
    >
    > Labour significantly down - drops below 50% which is the first time since 2014.
    > Turnout not really down on last year. 32% from 34%.
    > Conservatives go (slightly) backwards too. Lib Dems and Green are the biggest winners here.
    >
    > Victoria was a fairly solid Lib Dem ward throughout the 1990s to 2010s.
    >
    > So, here, I'd say neither Con nor Lab have anything to cheer about, especially not Labour.
    > Lib Dems and Greens both making progress.
    > Turnout is NOT significantly down.

I don't know how the Tories could go any lower in Bootle.
  • Options
    Floater said:

> @Sunil_Prasannan said:

> > @DoubleD said:

>

> > Labour-15. Tories +2. Love it

>

>

>

> I have a confession to make

>

>

>

> I posted yesterday I wanted the tories monstered

>

>

>

> I posted earlier that as I entered polling station I had no idea who I was going to vote for.

>

>

>

> Looking at the choices I went blue.

>

> Sunil means "blue" :)

I thought it meant train spotter :-)

Some trains are blue!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    > @Floater said:
    > > @El_Capitano said:
    > > Labour winning everything on Newcastle CC as usual. The uncontested Labour fiefdom continues.
    > >
    > > Lib Dems just took Ouseburn with a 28% swing.
    >
    > I wasn't interested and was going to bed - now it looks like a late one :-)

Very poorly equipped for a late night popcorn fest. Do I get up and make a buttered crumpet.....?
  • Options
    > @ralphmalph said:
    > Labour lose control of Hartlepool.

Labour are getting fisted tonight. I'm breaking out the vanilla Oreos.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Radio 5 live have been banging on about climate change every single day in the crucial 8:30 odd commute to work spot. Wonder if it has helped the greens ?
    Greta Thrunberg the big winner from tonight ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    LDs gain Cambridge Market from Greens..
This discussion has been closed.