Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So TIG becomes Change UK in time for the possible Euro Electio

Comments

• Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    kinabalu said:

Well, gym, and the rolling text on BBC News kept saying Toadies instead of Tories. Sentences like -

"Much discussion as whether the Toadies will be blamed for a No Deal Brexit."
    "Nobody appears to want to compromise. Not the TIGs, not Labour, not the Toadies."
    "Highly unlikely that there will be an election until there is a new Toady leader."

It was very hard not to laugh. In fact I didn't manage it.

Similar to when I was watching News at Ten last Wednesday and the ITV subtitles kept referring to the DUP as "do you pee" whenever it was said by Foster and her lot.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    come on guys

don't believe the hype

we've been here LITERALLY four times before
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    IanB2 said:

Surely a long extension? No deal doesn't require a motion and any such would be voted down.
    We will go to Brussels and ask for an extension for ... err... we’re not sure yet.

Sounds about right.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

Surely a long extension? No deal doesn't require a motion and any such would be voted down.
    Oh God, please, no. They will never make a decision about anything, ever, if they aren't forced to do so by the constraint of time.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

IanB2 said:

Oh God, please, no. They will never make a decision about anything, ever, if they aren't forced to do so by the constraint of time.
    +1000%

Sadly I think the EU will let us do that.
  • Options

come on guys

don't believe the hype

we've been here LITERALLY four times before

Each time I get this little frisson of anticipation that something interesting will happen.

Each time Theresa manages to disappoint me.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Sky's Beth Rigby thinks there's been a "big decision", whatever that means.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    isam said:

"You got debate Geoffrey, we go the notion, we get together we can table Brexit motion"
    "Then we can keep our deal alive
    And when it falls we won't let it die
    It doesn't matter if you win or lose
    It's how you play the game so get that motion moved"
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I knew it. They HAVE decided what they want for breakfast!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

on what to have for dinner?

how many times are you gonna fall for this.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Danny565 said:

Nando's for dinner tonight.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

They've sprung for pepperoni over Hawaiian.

Actually, I expect it is that they'll give one more go for the WA, then extended no deal,w ith the 'remainers' in Cabinet defending themselves onthe basis that it is better than crashing out with even less preparation.

Tory MPs want no deal, there's no way around that for May.
  • Options

Sky reporting the Letwin/Cooper bill, if it gets through the HOC it will need the HOL to sit on friday at which time it is open to amendments, and it is likely brexiteers will table many

Nick Boles was hurt by his deselection and his actions yesterday seemed to be one of pique
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Fab interview with Nick Boles. They should have chosen him as next leader. He actually sounded genuine.

(Well done to Laura K who did the interview)

PS. Can anyone argue with his thought that NO ONE who served in the Cabinet from 2017 till the present should be next Tory leader or that May's Cabinet is the worst in living memory.
    Nick Boles was hurt by his deselection and clearly distressed by losing his amendment, but his commons statement was of someone acting in a fit of pique. He certainly is not leader material, and many in the party are unsuitable, but there are cabinet members who could lead, especially against Corbyn
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Actually, I expect it is that they'll give one more go for the WA, then extended no deal,w ith the 'remainers' in Cabinet defending themselves onthe basis that it is better than crashing out with even less preparation.

Yeah, the joke was a bit obvious, wasn't it?
  • Options
    isam said:

"You got debate Geoffrey, we got the notion, we get together we can table Brexit motion"
    'Cross every ocean, for the sake of Brexit motion, but we don't have a notion, how to sort out this mess'
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Who said this?

"I believe it is Theresa May’s destiny to be the Prime Minister who delivers Brexit in a way that preserves the UK’s prosperity, constitutional integrity and position in the world."
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Foxy said:

First it was the vegan sausage roll, now the BK Whopper...

Fast food chain Burger King says it will trial a new plant-based alternative to its meat burgers.

The Impossible Whopper is made with a type of soybean root called heme, which gives the impression of bleeding, getting close to simulating real meat.

https://news.sky.com/story/burger-king-launches-plant-based-impossible-whopper-11682142

They ought to consider that many vegans do not want to eat a facsimilie of bleeding meat!
    How do you know they didn't, and decided that there would be enough people who wanted to buy it, to make selling it worthwhile?

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Nick Boles is bang on the money. The Tory Party as was no longer exists.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You guys :D
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

No regrets.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    Jonathan said:

Early in the interview it sounded like he might become the first SNP MP south of the friendship wall.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

what is extended no deal? and is the EU really going to allow an extension for it?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

There was going to be a motion - hence the orders went out to keep the House sitting - but the big decision is that there isn't.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

what is extended no deal? and is the EU really going to allow an extension for it?
    I think it is just a hope the EU will give us six months, or until the end of the year, before we crash out. As to the EU allowing it, I have no idea. I think the EU would be much more willing to permit extensions than they say, given they watered things down last time. I almost hope they don't, so our MPs cannot kick the can.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,806

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

If you extend the departure date to December 2020, then the Withdrawal Agreement is unnecessary.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

If you extend the departure date to December 2020, then the Withdrawal Agreement is unnecessary.
    With Euro elections?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    edited April 2019
    The Evening Standard says May is considering adding a Customs Union to the PD of her Deal and giving Labour MPs to right to influence future talks in order to get it through. However 20 Tory MPs are said to be ready to back a VONC rather than any Brexit compromise.

Rudd, Gauke and Clark are also pressuring the PM to agree to contest the European Parliament elections and ask the EU to extend Article 50.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-top-tories-warn-theresa-may-they-are-on-the-brink-of-a-historic-party-split-a4107021.html

The paper also says the party faces its biggest split since Peel and the repeal of the Corn Laws

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-past-present-and-future-tories-face-historic-split-killing-eve-returns-soon-a4107101.html
  • Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

With Euro elections?
    Yup.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

They're announcing their no deal contingency plans to guarantee the availability of pineapple chunks for topping pizzas
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Who said this?

"I believe it is Theresa May’s destiny to be the Prime Minister who delivers Brexit in a way that preserves the UK’s prosperity, constitutional integrity and position in the world."

Nostradamus? It might rhyme in latin.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

With Euro elections?
    Yup.
    A transition period where we get a seat at the table as well? What's not to like? Thanks.
  • Options

Who said this?

Nostradamus? It might rhyme in latin.
    It was Nick Boles, last October.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6284063/NICK-BOLES-reveals-workable-Brexit-plan.html
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited April 2019
    Cabinet is still in no 10

Sky predicting a big decision has been made
  • Options

Brick up the exits, and do us all a favour.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255

Yeh right. Nothing has changed etc etc.
  • Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

With Euro elections?
    Yup. Let's bite the bullet: extend to Dec 2020, abandon the WA and the PD, use the 21 months to prepare for no-deal, abandon the GFA, build a Game Of Thrones wall between Ireland and Northern Ireland, and get on with our lives. It has the admirable advantage of requiring consent of no other countries at all.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Show of hands... who here thinks a genuinely big decision has actually been made?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

With Euro elections?
    Yup. Let's bite the bullet: extend to Dec 2020, abandon the WA and the PD, use the 21 months to prepare for no-deal, abandon the GFA, build a Game Of Thrones wall between Ireland and Northern Ireland, and get on with our lives. It has the admirable advantage of requiring consent of no other countries at all.
    Surely it require the consent from the EU 27?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Tessie not giving them their phones back until they agree. Anybody with children of a certain age understand this technique.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Show of hands... who here thinks a genuinely big decision has actually been made?
    They've agreed to become the 51st State of the USA......
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445

Emmanuel Macron says EU will not be 'hostage to crisis in the UK' and warns Article 50 extension is not a given

No - it will cost £ 39 bn.
  • Options

One thing is certain a big decision will happen in the next 10 days
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994

They haven't been given their phones back yet. It won't happen until after the PM has spoken.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

They've agreed to become the 51st State of the USA......
    I think HM might be a bit upset - a republican form of government is a pre-requisite to being a US state.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305

Hmm. I fear we might get another of Theresa's 'parliament needs to decide; the current impasse is less than ideal; goodnight.'
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    No lectern?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

They haven't been given their phones back yet. It won't happen until after the PM has spoken.
    Truly? Perhaps it is big then.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

I abstain .
  • Options
    Looking at this from a purely strategic perspective, is the way to play this not “Parliament can’t come up with an alternative so I’m going to go to Brussels and tell them we will not be extending Article 50. No deal will therefore happen on 12 April. However, I’ll put the WA to a vote one last time on Friday just in case you want to take that option instead.”

Best chance of getting The Deal through? And if Cooper-Letwin get the Extension Bill through tomorrow, well, it’ll be for someone else to pick up...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited April 2019
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Truly? Perhaps it is big then.
    Beth Rigby of Sky has just said that her cabinet sources have been off their mobiles since 9.30 am
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    If it's a big decision, it must be either a long extension or No Deal.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I abstain .
    I want an indicative vote.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Or TM deal
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    edited April 2019
    Chris said:

Long extension plus Euros?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Looking at this from a purely strategic perspective, is the way to play this not “Parliament can’t come up with an alternative so I’m going to go to Brussels and tell them we will not be extending Article 50. No deal will therefore happen on 12 April. However, I’ll put the WA to a vote one last time on Friday just in case you want to take that option instead.”

Best chance of getting The Deal through? And if Cooper-Letwin get the Extension Bill through tomorrow, well, it’ll be for someone else to pick up...

One option is for May with Cabinet backing to say the only proposal that the House has accepted is the Brady amendment. So Cabinet has agreed that the backstop must be removed from the WD, it can be put in the PD, then the WD and PD will pass the House. If the EU can not do that then it is no deal.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Chris said:

Long extension plus Euros.
    Hope so, but likely just more of the same 'my deal or no deal' bullshit.
  • Options
    Obviously remainiacs and ERGers will go nots if anything, even nothing, is announced. But who will get in first?
  • Options
    15 minutes until statement, according to Twitter journos.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627
    Barnesian said:

Chris said:

Plus second ref?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    Chris said:

They don’t need to decide on no deal. It will happen regardless.
  • Options
    PM statement within 15 minutes
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627

Half way through the news. Well done Tezzie.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Endillion said:

Charles said:

RobD said:
    They have just confirmed what he bangs on about, that the establishment are trying to silence him etc etc etc.

Far better to let him publish, and let the internet pick up any horseshit he spouts (which if the internet is good at one thing, it is jumping on that bandwagon when somebody gets caught out).
    The problem with that is the Internet becomes bubbles. The sane Internet might pick up on what he spouts, but the people who follow his sh*t might not pick up on that because they don't follow the right places (and the same goes for others as well).

I think there's a reasonable rule of thumb: if you'd get arrested for standing in the street and shouting something into a megaphone, you shouldn't expect a right to say it on open forums on the Internet. Though there are difficulties with that concept as well wrt territories.
    It’s a reasonable analogy

The difference is YouTube isn’t arresting him for shouting something into a megaphone, they are preventing him from saying anything
    If you get arrested for shouting things into a megaphone enough times on, say, Oxford Street, eventually you should just get banned from Oxford Street altogether. And possibly a bunch of other streets nearby, just in case. YouTube is a private company rather than a public space, which should make it simpler to ban people they don't want.

Actually I think this is a positive development generally. The problem we're having with the likes of YouTube and Facebook is that they have long insisted they are tech companies, not publishing/media companies, and therefore they have no responsibility for what people use their platforms to post. The recent trend has been towards forcing them to take more and more action to remove prohibited content quicker - in particular the recent New Zealand mosque attack, where they were criticised for allowing the gunman to post live footage - which is almost impossible to stop unless you require moderation for everything in real time. If we had similar rules in place social media companies as we do for the wider media (eg editors can't just hide behind their journalists if they post false accusations without checking them properly) then we'd be in a much better place.
    The concern is once they become a dominant stream of discourse they are not just private companies. In the way that, for example, it is (rightly) very difficult to cut off someone’s water or gas supply it should be difficult to cut off their right to express their views publicly
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    He knows Cooper belongs to Labour, yeah? And that they don’t have ‘associations’? And that any members of Cooper’s who aren’t that well-disposed towards her are hardly likely to take their lead from a right-wing ERG enthusiast?

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/status/1113118939020759040?s=20
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited April 2019
    Maybe this time May will say or do something that isn’t a huge disappointment. Maybe she will do the right thing. It’s the hope that kills you.
  • Options

Half way through the news. Well done Tezzie.
    Still cobbling some crap together.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Second referendum ?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Second referendum ?
    GE? Nuclear option.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,371
    Another May announcement?

I’m not on the edge of my seat.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

They don’t need to decide on no deal. It will happen regardless.
    By No Deal, I mean a decision not to seek a further extension.
  • Options
    Another May announcement?

I’m not on the edge of my seat.
  • Options
    The camera has moved to the lectern. It is indoors this evening. The Royal Arms are on it.

Just minutes until the same pile of wank is repeated for the 97th time. I don't know about you lot, but I can't wait...
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited April 2019
    Why do I have this frisson of excitement at the prospect of a PM statement? It nearly always disappoints.

Crest on the lectern....
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Second referendum ?
    GE? Nuclear option.
    The Sky news people are saying that the "prime ministerial crest" being on the lectern suggests it won't be a general election. (Not sure if it would also rule out a referendum.)
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Danny565 said:

Second referendum ?
    GE? Nuclear option.
    Crest on lectern. Not GE
  • Options
    Government crest on the lectern, election's off.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Barnesian said:

Chris said:

Plus second ref?
    Yesd, VAR at all matches in 2020.
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189
    I'd like to make a "big open and comprehensive offer" to Jeremy Corbyn.....
  • Options
    Here we go.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Maybe this time May will say or do something that isn’t a huge disappointment. Maybe she will do the right thing. It’s the hope that kills you.

I wouldn’t get too excited.

She’ll probably just give MPs a bollocking.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Further extension
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305

He knows Cooper belongs to Labour, yeah? And that they don’t have ‘associations’? And that any members of Cooper’s who aren’t that well-disposed towards her are hardly likely to take their lead from a right-wing ERG enthusiast?

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/status/1113118939020759040?s=20

Amazing. I don't think in all my days I've ever heard a Tory MP explicitly call for a colleague's deselection.
  • Options
    Oh God no, another fucking extension!
  • Options
    Extension
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Scott_P said:
    Multinationals I guess. They'll be fine anyways. Small businesses maybe not so much.
  • Options
    Yawn. Same old rubbish.
  • Options
    TM Corbyn plan to be agreed
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Looking for a deal with Corbyn
  • Options
    She's going to talk to Corbyn. Radical thinking.

#shouldhavedonethis2yearsago
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    May trying to call Corbyn's bluff
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Nick Boles is a acting like a spoilt child who doesn’t get his own way. He is certainly not bang on the money.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

She's going to talk to Corbyn. Radical thinking.

#shouldhavedonethis2yearsago

Corbyn refused.
This discussion has been closed.