Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So TIG becomes Change UK in time for the possible Euro Electio

Comments

• Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Is cabinet still going on?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    If you only read the UK media you would not know that Emmanuel Macron is by far the most popular leader in France:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1113093175378415621
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Seems like YouTube might as well as banned Tommy Robinson.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1112930588342841344

I can’t see how this can possibly go wrong.

That risks making a martyr of him.
    They have just confirmed what he bangs on about, that the establishment are trying to silence him etc etc etc.

Far better to let him publish, and let the internet pick up any horseshit he spouts (which if the internet is good at one thing, it is jumping on that bandwagon when somebody gets caught out).
    The problem with that is the Internet becomes bubbles. The sane Internet might pick up on what he spouts, but the people who follow his sh*t might not pick up on that because they don't follow the right places (and the same goes for others as well).

I think there's a reasonable rule of thumb: if you'd get arrested for standing in the street and shouting something into a megaphone, you shouldn't expect a right to say it on open forums on the Internet. Though there are difficulties with that concept as well wrt territories.
    It’s a reasonable analogy

The difference is YouTube isn’t arresting him for shouting something into a megaphone, they are preventing him from saying anything
    If you get arrested for shouting things into a megaphone enough times on, say, Oxford Street, eventually you should just get banned from Oxford Street altogether. And possibly a bunch of other streets nearby, just in case. YouTube is a private company rather than a public space, which should make it simpler to ban people they don't want.

Actually I think this is a positive development generally. The problem we're having with the likes of YouTube and Facebook is that they have long insisted they are tech companies, not publishing/media companies, and therefore they have no responsibility for what people use their platforms to post. The recent trend has been towards forcing them to take more and more action to remove prohibited content quicker - in particular the recent New Zealand mosque attack, where they were criticised for allowing the gunman to post live footage - which is almost impossible to stop unless you require moderation for everything in real time. If we had similar rules in place social media companies as we do for the wider media (eg editors can't just hide behind their journalists if they post false accusations without checking them properly) then we'd be in a much better place.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

RobD said:

There will soon come a point when PR is in every party's political interests.

Ah yes, PR because it will benefit my party. A very principled position. ;)
    As opposed to that principled position of' ah yes that antiquated system of FPTP; it is crap but it benefits my party."
    "Disproportionate Representation is democratic when it's my party that gets the disproportionate representation?"

I do think that the contention that it is undemocratic for a party, ideology, or concept to have support in Parliament proportionate to its support in the electorate is a fairly strange contention, but it is one that, curiously, the supporters of the Big Two seem to hold dear.
    No-one has ever claimed that PR is undemocratic. Many have, rightly in my view, claimed it's not a very good form of democracy.
    Well the one we have totally sucks it either delivers elective dictatorships or impotence. Sometimes both at the same time like now.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Macron and Varadkar press conference. Varadkar looking very worried

Perhaps he should be a bit more flexible - wouldn't have found himself in this mess.
    He noticeably swallowed hard when he said no deal could happen on the 12th April
    About 85% of Ireland's total EU freight trade goes via British ports...
    Hasn't a (competent) EU version of Chris Grayling hasn't bought a load of ferry capacity on Rosslare-Cherbourg/Cork-Roscoff yet?
    I note you assume the EU runs Irish policy.

That might be the reason for Brexit.
    I said it deliberately, because I'd assume that if* Irish trade was the big stumbling block from the EU27 point of view to us leaving on WTO terms, that a careful cost-benefit analysis would be done on whether the EU wanted us farting around for another 18 months*, or whether they could get the Irish off the hook by doing stuff like that (and probably funding a new motorway network and ferry port longer-term to get round us).

(*In practice, there are other issues for them, and on balance they'd probably sooner have us in the tent pissing out. But I'm not sure that's a permanent state)
    Of course in the event of revocation, it is likely that the Tory government would fall and the replacement be significantly more euro friendly. It may be very congenial to the EU27.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

There will soon come a point when PR is in every party's political interests.

Ah yes, PR because it will benefit my party. A very principled position. ;)
    As opposed to that principled position of' ah yes that antiquated system of FPTP; it is crap but it benefits my party."
    "Disproportionate Representation is democratic when it's my party that gets the disproportionate representation?"

I do think that the contention that it is undemocratic for a party, ideology, or concept to have support in Parliament proportionate to its support in the electorate is a fairly strange contention, but it is one that, curiously, the supporters of the Big Two seem to hold dear.
    No-one has ever claimed that PR is undemocratic. Many have, rightly in my view, claimed it's not a very good form of democracy.
    Well the one we have totally sucks it either delivers elective dictatorships or impotence. Sometimes both at the same time like now.
    We could do with a spot of elective dictatorship right now.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Foxy said:

So we hold all the cards and it will be the easiest deal in history?
    If May had a 100 majority she could much more easily come out and say - new deal or no deal.

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019

If you only read the UK media you would not know that Emmanuel Macron is by far the most popular leader in France:

You do realise Harris polls are a significant outlier? Look at the other polling companies.

He's consistently around 70% disapproval.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,033
    Endillion said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Seems like YouTube might as well as banned Tommy Robinson.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1112930588342841344

I can’t see how this can possibly go wrong.

That risks making a martyr of him.
    They have just confirmed what he bangs on about, that the establishment are trying to silence him etc etc etc.

Far better to let him publish, and let the internet pick up any horseshit he spouts (which if the internet is good at one thing, it is jumping on that bandwagon when somebody gets caught out).
    The problem with that is the Internet becomes bubbles. The sane Internet might pick up on what he spouts, but the people who follow his sh*t might not pick up on that because they don't follow the right places (and the same goes for others as well).

I think there's a reasonable rule of thumb: if you'd get arrested for standing in the street and shouting something into a megaphone, you shouldn't expect a right to say it on open forums on the Internet. Though there are difficulties with that concept as well wrt territories.
    It’s a reasonable analogy

The difference is YouTube isn’t arresting him for shouting something into a megaphone, they are preventing him from saying anything
    If you get arrested for shouting things into a megaphone enough times on, say, Oxford Street, eventually you should just get banned from Oxford Street altogether. And possibly a bunch of other streets nearby, just in case. YouTube is a private company rather than a public space, which should make it simpler to ban people they don't want.

Actually I think this is a positive development generally. The problem we're having with the likes of YouTube and Facebook is that they have long insisted they are tech companies, not publishing/media companies, and therefore they have no responsibility for what people use their platforms to post. The recent trend has been towards forcing them to take more and more action to remove prohibited content quicker - in particular the recent New Zealand mosque attack, where they were criticised for allowing the gunman to post live footage - which is almost impossible to stop unless you require moderation for everything in real time. If we had similar rules in place social media companies as we do for the wider media (eg editors can't just hide behind their journalists if they post false accusations without checking them properly) then we'd be in a much better place.
    This. So much this.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Pulpstar said:

Re Yugoslavia...it wasn't it will never happen there, it was when will it happen there.

It's a war that still has repercussions, plenty of ISIS/Al Qaeda top command were radicalised and blooded in the conflict.
    Indeed. And many of the wilder branches of the Online Far Right have much admiration for some Serbian commanders.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Perhaps he should be a bit more flexible - wouldn't have found himself in this mess.
    He noticeably swallowed hard when he said no deal could happen on the 12th April
    Hasn't a (competent) EU version of Chris Grayling hasn't bought a load of ferry capacity on Rosslare-Cherbourg/Cork-Roscoff yet?

I said it deliberately, because I'd assume that if* Irish trade was the big stumbling block from the EU27 point of view to us leaving on WTO terms, that a careful cost-benefit analysis would be done on whether the EU wanted us farting around for another 18 months*, or whether they could get the Irish off the hook by doing stuff like that (and probably funding a new motorway network and ferry port longer-term to get round us).

(*In practice, there are other issues for them, and on balance they'd probably sooner have us in the tent pissing out. But I'm not sure that's a permanent state)
    Of course in the event of revocation, it is likely that the Tory government would fall and the replacement be significantly more euro friendly. It may be very congenial to the EU27.

Well, yes. That is part of the motivation of those who want Theresa May to revoke A50, or whip the payroll vote in favour of a second referendum.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2019
    Well that didn't go as planned....however much they try and spin it.

An independent coffee chain said it has seen sales fall by £250,000 since it banned single use cups last summer.

"We have lost around 25% of our takeaway coffee sales"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-47629820
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Yes
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Re Yugoslavia...it wasn't it will never happen there, it was when will it happen there.

It's a war that still has repercussions, plenty of ISIS/Al Qaeda top command were radicalised and blooded in the conflict.
    Indeed. And many of the wilder branches of the Online Far Right have much admiration for some Serbian commanders.
    At the time, they were all in favour of Croatia. I remember seeing an interview with a neo-Nazi who went out to fight for the Croats. He was like a character from a Mad Max film, with dark glasses, a leather overcoat, cross-belts of ammunition over his shoulders and holding a machete, and explaining how much he enjoyed killing people.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Well quite - why don't they ask for a few billion in return for backstop flexibility ?

The Uk would happily pay up to move on..
    but for what?
    If they are worried about the Uk reneging re the backstop - then ask for a deposit of £10Bn or so as penalty.

It's how the business world would deal with damages.

Who could we put forward to supply references? Norway and Iceland?
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189

DanSmith said:

Yes
    whats wrong with the flipping thing, why isnt it leaking like crazy
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

At the time, they were all in favour of Croatia. I remember seeing an interview with a neo-Nazi who went out to fight for the Croats. He was like a character from a Mad Max film, with dark glasses, a leather overcoat, cross-belts of ammunition over his shoulders and holding a machete, and explaining how much he enjoyed killing people.
    ERG supporter now, I take it?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

DanSmith said:

Yes
    Blimey.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Meanwhile, on a theoretical French version of this site, a poster called CalaisObservateur notes that if you only read the French media, you'd never know that Theresa May is by far the most popular politician in the UK.

(Can't find a link, but I think this result keeps getting confirmed by various surveys.)
  • Options

You do realise Harris polls are a significant outlier? Look at the other polling companies.

That is perfectly compatible. He is pretty nailed on to make the second round, and most likely win it.
  • Options
    rawzer said:

DanSmith said:

Yes
    Phones have been confiscated.

• Options

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

ERG supporter now, I take it?
    It might have been Mark Francois, come to think of it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Well, yes. That is part of the motivation of those who want Theresa May to revoke A50, or whip the payroll vote in favour of a second referendum.
    Sure, but the reality is that if we do stay, or extend then it is highly unlikely to be a eurosceptic government that the EU27 are dealing with.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

Yes
    Blimey.
    Perhaps the PM is beta-testing the 'lock them in the room until they make an effing decision' approach, prior to full-scale rollout later in the week.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

rawzer said:

DanSmith said:

Yes
    Phones have been confiscated.

I thought they live-streamed Cabinet meetings, these days.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

An independent coffee chain said it has seen sales fall by £250,000 since it banned single use cups last summer.

That is a significant drop - £11k per year per branch. Assuming a 6 day trading week, that is just under £40 per day per branch. Less if they trade 7 days per week.

So the headline figures look worse than when you break it down.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

Yes
    Blimey.
    Perhaps the PM is beta-testing the 'lock them in the room until they make an effing decision' approach, prior to full-scale rollout later in the week.
    The one thing we know is that there is at least one bunch of them in there threatening to resign when they come out.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

Yes
    Blimey.
    So instead of being cut from 5 hours as reported this morning it's actually gone on even longer.
  • Options
    Norman Lamb on about leaving the LDs on R5L now.
    We're gonna have more independents than party ,members soon at this rate.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

I've long been an advocate for this method wrt Brexit votes in the commons - admittedly my version has the building set on fire to provide a little time incentive.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Why is he leaving?
  • Options
    2 "malicious obstructions" placed on rail lines. Police say "Brexit related"
    ?????
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Dean, that seems quite surprising. Why's Lamb leaving?

Hope his health is improving.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

That is perfectly compatible. He is pretty nailed on to make the second round, and most likely win it.
    But disingenuous, the point is overall he's running 10 points lower than the Harris poll, so not doing much better than some of the others.

He isn't popular, it's just no one is popular outside their base.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

?????

Remainer MPs moving on from being road blocks ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Why is he leaving?
    Because he's willing to compromise to a soft Brexit.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    Well, I might watch a documentary about the Crusades while nursing my cold.

Likely to be more peaceful and civilised and interesting than anything coming out of Westminster.....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

?????

Leavers on the line?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Why is he leaving?
    https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/north-norfolk-mp-norman-lamb-could-resign-the-whip-over-brexit-votes-1-5973558
  • Options
    Mr Dancer and Mr F, didn't say he had decided, but was fed up with opposing everything. Wasn't paying full attention at the start (maybe I should apply to be an MP).
    And, yes, surprising.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited April 2019

That is a significant drop - £11k per year per branch. Assuming a 6 day trading week, that is just under £40 per day per branch. Less if they trade 7 days per week.

If their turnover is £750k for 21 branches we have to assume they aren't open all the time.

£750k/21/300 trading days per year = £120 per day.

EDIT: Ah, I think it's "takeaway coffee sales" that's the point.

Last accounts (2017) they reported an annual turnover of just under £20m.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

?????

Police probe two 'pro-Brexit' sabotage attempts to disrupt rail network as devices are found clipped to tracks with note threatening to 'bring this country to its knees' if Britain doesn't leave EU

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6877857/Police-investigate-two-devices-planted-railway-lines-network-sabotage-bid-related-Brexit.html
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, Crusades generally or any one in particular?

Mr. Dean, cheers for that further detail.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

?????

Police probe two 'pro-Brexit' sabotage attempts to disrupt rail network as devices are found clipped to tracks with note threatening to 'bring this country to its knees' if Britain doesn't leave EU

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6877857/Police-investigate-two-devices-planted-railway-lines-network-sabotage-bid-related-Brexit.html
    False Flag.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Why is he leaving?
    https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/north-norfolk-mp-norman-lamb-could-resign-the-whip-over-brexit-votes-1-5973558
    "Mr Lamb, a senior MP in the Commons, voted in favour of a customs union and the common market 2.0 proposal, saying that those options could then be put to a confirmatory referendum.

But he was the only Liberal Democrat to do so."
  • Options

https://twitter.com/andrewpolitics/status/1112831233883607045
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

?????

Baker and Francois !!!!!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    LDs are a mirror image of the ERG equally intransigent and unwilling to compromise- Norman Lamb
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    It's been a curious feature of PB for the last 15 years that posters on PB always predict an early GE.

There must have been many hundreds of posts in the last few weeks all predicting an early / imminent GE - and not one single post predicting there won't be an early GE.

Yet the actual odds on a 2019 GE currently show it as odds against. And that's for the whole of 2019.

Now I don't know what will happen - and of course there may well be a 2019 GE. But's an interesting example of how minds work - I think it's just another example of people posting what they want to happen / what they think "should" happen - and then dressing it up as a prediction.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

Yes
    Blimey.
    The one thing we know is that there is at least one bunch of them in there threatening to resign when they come out.
    They are arguing over who gets to resign first.....
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, cheers for that Lamb detail.

Alarming rail news.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

https://twitter.com/andrewpolitics/status/1112831233883607045
    I too had to resign my membership over Brexit differences. #JesuisStephenLloyd
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Why is he leaving?
    Because he's willing to compromise to a soft Brexit.
    Which is why he did not stand in the last LD leadership contest. He is much less absolutist on the issue than most of his party, though keen on the softest possible Brexit.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited April 2019
    dixiedean said:

?????

Well its a change from leaves on the line and the wrong kind of snow... :D
  • Options

If their turnover is £750k for 21 branches we have to assume they aren't open all the time.

They are only talking about their takeaway coffee business. Not the food offering or the drink in offering. So they are only presenting a particular slice of the picture.

It clearly has had an effect on their trade - but it is £40 per branch per day - some of which might be down factors other than the cup ban.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

They are only talking about their takeaway coffee business. Not the food offering or the drink in offering. So they are only presenting a particular slice of the picture.

It clearly has had an effect on their trade - but it is £40 per branch per day - some of which might be down factors other than the cup ban.
    Right, you'll see I editted my last post.

it does rather underline the point that a 25% fall in takeaway coffee sales - in exchange for a media bonanza that say increases other sales 10% - might easily be worth it.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

?????

Baker and Francois !!!!!
    :)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    If Mrs May cares more than anything about holding the Tory party together, maybe they will never come out of that room?
  • Options
    They'll have to send in emergency supplies if this Cabinet meeting goes on much longer...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Why is he leaving?
    "Mr Lamb, a senior MP in the Commons, voted in favour of a customs union and the common market 2.0 proposal, saying that those options could then be put to a confirmatory referendum.

But he was the only Liberal Democrat to do so."
    Pretty much 10% of the Parliamentary numbers - so significant enough!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

They'll have to send in emergency supplies if this Cabinet meeting goes on much longer...

at what point does it become a hostage situation?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If Mrs May cares more than anything about holding the Tory party together, maybe they will never come out of that room?

Well its one way of running down the clock. :D
  • Options
    More indicative votes now to take place on monday
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    GIN1138 said:

Pretty sure there’s been papal conclaves shorter than this.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    8 hour cabinet means something must be up. Presumably this is the 'normal' cabinet as opposed to the political one?
  • Options

it does rather underline the point that a 25% fall in takeaway coffee sales - in exchange for a media bonanza that say increases other sales 10% - might easily be worth it.
    Your figures seem to indicate that takeaway coffee was only 5% of their turnover - rather puts things into a better perspective - thanks for doing the digging.

Nice to see the BBC giving them a free advert.
  • Options

8 hour cabinet means something must be up. Presumably this is the 'normal' cabinet as opposed to the political one?

The political one was first
  • Options

There was a Political Cabinet meeting first and then a Regular one to follow from what was said yesterday
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Perhaps they are taking a leaf out of Julian Assange's playbook...
  • Options

Your figures seem to indicate that takeaway coffee was only 5% of their turnover - rather puts things into a better perspective - thanks for doing the digging.

They are quite a nice outlet actually...quite nice for a mid morning brunch.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

?????

False Flag.
    Proof?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Or the ERG superglued the locks...

• Options

There's a lot of No Deal planning to catch up on.....
  • Options
    First it was the vegan sausage roll, now the BK Whopper...

Fast food chain Burger King says it will trial a new plant-based alternative to its meat burgers.

The Impossible Whopper is made with a type of soybean root called heme, which gives the impression of bleeding, getting close to simulating real meat.

https://news.sky.com/story/burger-king-launches-plant-based-impossible-whopper-11682142
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The Leavers are throwing apples at the Remainers. The Remainers are throwing oranges at the Leavers.

They'll come out in a while and announce that talks have been tough but fruitful.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Or the ERG superglued the locks...

The ERG are so useless rather than gluing the locks, they would end up gluing themselves together.
  • Options

The Leavers are throwing apples at the Remainers. The Remainers are throwing oranges at the Leavers.

They'll come out in a while and announce that talks have been tough but fruitful.
    Very good Alastair. We need light relief
  • Options

They are quite a nice outlet actually...quite nice for a mid morning brunch.
    No reason to doubt the quality of their offering. It is just the way that article presents a rather limited picture of their business model - it makes it seem a lot more significant than it actually is.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,783
    edited April 2019

Please God no, anything but such vapidity.

From them, not you I hasten to add.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Its all part of the smooth and orderly Brexit.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710
    MikeL said:

It's been a curious feature of PB for the last 15 years that posters on PB always predict an early GE.

There must have been many hundreds of posts in the last few weeks all predicting an early / imminent GE - and not one single post predicting there won't be an early GE.

Yet the actual odds on a 2019 GE currently show it as odds against. And that's for the whole of 2019.

Now I don't know what will happen - and of course there may well be a 2019 GE. But's an interesting example of how minds work - I think it's just another example of people posting what they want to happen / what they think "should" happen - and then dressing it up as a prediction.

I certainly WANT a General Election. I love them. I stay up all night. Throw pillows at the telly. Eat pizza. They're good fun.

Now, do I predict a route to a General Election - I can certainly see one, and not unrealistic given the political atmosphere we live in.

In 2010, I was rather upset when the Election weekend was over, as I believed it'd be another five years before the next election. I was right. In 2015, I thought it would be another five years, though I did think "Well, at least there is the referendum to look forward to."

Today, I struggle to see how a divided, minority administration, in the middle of the biggest political crisis since 1945 and with only 313 out of the 642 attending MPs can survive another three years. Things change by the day at the moment, from Bercow blocking votes, to members of the Government advocating a policy before voting against it, to factions (and I mean factionS) within the governing party advocating completely polar opposites of government policy.

I don't think it unreasonable to expect a General Election sometime this year.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627

Marathon strip poker session.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Disturbing details of the plot to killl MP Rosie Cooper:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-44798649
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,783
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Freggles said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

?????

False Flag.
    Proof?
    No true leaver would try to disrupt the normal functioning of the country in that way. They only do so by sabotaging our trading setup.
  • Options
    No lectern then? We’re not getting another rendition of Nothing Has Changed?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Freggles said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

?????

False Flag.
    Proof?
    Correctly punctuated. A leaver would have written "to it's knees."
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    kle4 said:

Please God no, anything but such vapidity.

From them, not you I hasten to add.
    In my case it's a given.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Marathon strip poker session.
    Brexiteers thought they held all the cards but now are left exposed, trying to negotiate a Manthong Compromise to act as a fig leaf.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

More indicative votes now to take place on monday

Just home from work - saw that suggested on the TV myself.

Unless either (a) MV4 takes place and is passed this time, or (b) the Government asks for an extension with no plan for what to do with it and the EU somehow agrees to this thing, then the 8th really is it. The EU deadline for presenting any alternative to the Deal is the 10th, so anything decided on the 8th would need to be rammed through any required legislative processes on the 9th.

Unless or until our glorious leaders surprise us and manage to come up with a viable way forward, the possibility of a No Deal vs Revoke vote on the 11th should not be discounted.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

of Europes top 10 CO2 polluters, 7 are German

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47783992

Germany where the rules are for other people
  • Options
    Of course if Norman Lamb were to resign the whip he might find the man closest to his ideals is... Nick Boles.

Funny ole world.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    edited April 2019

First it was the vegan sausage roll, now the BK Whopper...

Fast food chain Burger King says it will trial a new plant-based alternative to its meat burgers.

The Impossible Whopper is made with a type of soybean root called heme, which gives the impression of bleeding, getting close to simulating real meat.

https://news.sky.com/story/burger-king-launches-plant-based-impossible-whopper-11682142

They could pretend it’s real beef and call it the Utter Whopper...

Which would come in handy for those White House burger feasts.

• Options

Of course if Norman Lamb were to resign the whip he might find the man closest to his ideals is... Nick Boles.

Funny ole world.

Perhaps they can be the Progressively Independent Liberal Conservatives?
This discussion has been closed.