Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So TIG becomes Change UK in time for the possible Euro Electio

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Of course if Norman Lamb were to resign the whip he might find the man closest to his ideals is... Nick Boles.

Funny ole world.

Even funnier ole world if they acquired more MPs than the TIGs/COKs......
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    Nope. For the entire day they debated pineapple on pizza.

The Entire Day.

Gauke and Co threatened to resign if Hawaiian was ordered, Fox and Co if it was.

No Deal was reached
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    It is reported that the Cabinet meeting is still ongoing...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

Of course if Norman Lamb were to resign the whip he might find the man closest to his ideals is... Nick Boles.

Funny ole world.

Perhaps they can be the Progressively Independent Liberal Conservatives?
    advocating a hard Brexit.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

MikeL said:

It's been a curious feature of PB for the last 15 years that posters on PB always predict an early GE.

There must have been many hundreds of posts in the last few weeks all predicting an early / imminent GE - and not one single post predicting there won't be an early GE.

Yet the actual odds on a 2019 GE currently show it as odds against. And that's for the whole of 2019.

Now I don't know what will happen - and of course there may well be a 2019 GE. But's an interesting example of how minds work - I think it's just another example of people posting what they want to happen / what they think "should" happen - and then dressing it up as a prediction.

I certainly WANT a General Election. I love them. I stay up all night. Throw pillows at the telly. Eat pizza. They're good fun.

Now, do I predict a route to a General Election - I can certainly see one, and not unrealistic given the political atmosphere we live in.

In 2010, I was rather upset when the Election weekend was over, as I believed it'd be another five years before the next election. I was right. In 2015, I thought it would be another five years, though I did think "Well, at least there is the referendum to look forward to."

Today, I struggle to see how a divided, minority administration, in the middle of the biggest political crisis since 1945 and with only 313 out of the 642 attending MPs can survive another three years. Things change by the day at the moment, from Bercow blocking votes, to members of the Government advocating a policy before voting against it, to factions (and I mean factionS) within the governing party advocating completely polar opposites of government policy.

I don't think it unreasonable to expect a General Election sometime this year.
    Oh sure - there is obviously a very good chance of a 2019 GE - I'm just noting the disparity between what is constantly posted on here and the actual odds.

To put the other side of the coin - the Govt survived the last confidence vote by 19 - a significant margin. Since then the Govt's position may have actually improved - the 3 Con defectors to TIG are very unlikely to vote against Govt (Heidi Allen specifically said she would vote for Govt) - and there must be a reasonable chance the 8 Lab defectors to TIG won't either (as they would most likely just be voting to lose their jobs).
  • Options
    The entire board of Superdry has resigned, so have their brokers UBS and Investec.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

The entire board of Superdry has resigned, so have their brokers UBS and Investec.

Oh dear, that didn't go well....
  • Options

Better order some take out from a fancy burger chain...
  • Options
    Lectern alert.

This is not a drill.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Oh dear, that didn't go well....
    I think inevitable once the old head got back on board contrary to their wishes?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

kle4 said:
    Nope. For the entire day they debated pineapple on pizza.

The Entire Day.

Gauke and Co threatened to resign if Hawaiian was ordered, Fox and Co if it was.

No Deal was reached
    It's easy - you just order a Papa John's Half and Half - simples!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Lectern alert.

This is not a drill.

SURELY even she won't come out and give the same speech as ever - surely something of substance will have changed this time?
  • Options

Lectern alert.

This is not a drill.

Where is this lectern?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2019
    Betfair Brexit midpoints....

MV passes 2019: 62%
    Euro elections 2019: 67%
    EU ref 2019: 34%
    No deal 2019: 29%
    A50 revoked: 28% (no timescale)

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Thinking on Lamb's comments and if he were to go independent, while we decry the parties for being too dominating and people being too sheeplike, they do serve a useful purpose and a parliament of literal independents would be a recipe for disaster on everything, not just Brexit. That being said, there being such a large number of independents right now is good, for those who have done it for policy reasons, because in a time of crisis on such a major issue there should be splits and breaks from the main parties, it is absurd that discipline has held up so well on this issue.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Danny565 said:

Lectern alert.

This is not a drill.

SURELY even she won't come out and give the same speech as ever - surely something of substance will have changed this time?
    I expect all the scowls reflect the fact that she is indeed going to deliver exactly the same speech again.

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Wait, didn't Investec support him?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

They've left without a deal ?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Lectern alert.

This is not a drill.

I expect all the scowls reflect the fact that she is indeed going to deliver exactly the same speech again.

Why? Seriously, what would that accomplish?

Anything she says about parliament failing to find a consensus either will just be used by disingenuous MPs like Nandy to claim they were just on the verge of backing her deal but then she was rude to them, or something.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Lectern alert.

This is not a drill.

Source?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,761
    Andrew said:

Betfair Brexit midpoints....

MV passes 2019: 62%
    No deal 2019: 29%
    A50 revoked: 28%

Whats the downside to laying all 3? MV passes but no deal or revoke before we leave?
  • Options

More indicative votes now to take place on monday

You're joking. If there are more why not this week?!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited April 2019
    What Theresa will say:

Cabinet had lengthy discussions and they'll have more discussions on Thursday.

She's going to have discussions with the EU leaders and others.

Parliament must vote for her deal if it wants to avoid No Deal or No Brexit.

Nothing. Has. Changed.

The God Bless The Good Ship May and all who sail in her! :D
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    kle4 said:

Thinking on Lamb's comments and if he were to go independent, while we decry the parties for being too dominating and people being too sheeplike, they do serve a useful purpose and a parliament of literal independents would be a recipe for disaster on everything, not just Brexit. That being said, there being such a large number of independents right now is good, for those who have done it for policy reasons, because in a time of crisis on such a major issue there should be splits and breaks from the main parties, it is absurd that discipline has held up so well on this issue.

No one could ever accuse Lamb of being sheeplike, surely?

Oh. Wait.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    Inside Number 10...

“Right, we’ve decided what we want for breakfast. Now shall we move on?”
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Lectern alert.

This is not a drill.

Anything she says about parliament failing to find a consensus either will just be used by disingenuous MPs like Nandy to claim they were just on the verge of backing her deal but then she was rude to them, or something.
    Lisa Nandy will hum and haw again regardless. She's already shown herself to be once, twice, three times a maybe.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

First it was the vegan sausage roll, now the BK Whopper...

Fast food chain Burger King says it will trial a new plant-based alternative to its meat burgers.

The Impossible Whopper is made with a type of soybean root called heme, which gives the impression of bleeding, getting close to simulating real meat.

https://news.sky.com/story/burger-king-launches-plant-based-impossible-whopper-11682142

They ought to consider that many vegans do not want to eat a facsimilie of bleeding meat!
  • Options
    Breaking: door of No.10 opens.

Cat emerges.

Door closes.

End of update.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    kle4 said:

I think the intention is to combine motion for a Customs Union, with a motion for a Second Referendum, although I would think that would automatically lose Kenneth Clarke's support.
  • Options
    Ok, fair play, this is actually pretty funny
    https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1113087911094816769
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The no deal bill is for this week
  • Options
    So that’s one option that won’t be happening then.
  • Options
    Only Penny Mordaunt has left Cabinet.....
  • Options

Breaking: door of No.10 opens.

Cat emerges.

Door closes.

End of update.

It has got a new cat flap !!!!
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    How on earth did Beth Rigby land the Sky job? She is one of the dullest speakers I have seen commentating on UK politics in a long time
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

They are searching for a brain
  • Options
    I don't see how the Prime Minister could begin to square that with the emphatic instructions repeatedly given by Parliament that there should not be no deal.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Ishmael_Z said:

Lectern alert.

This is not a drill.

Source?
    Twitter says it'll have a deal on.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED.
    MY DEAL MY DEAL MY DEAL
    NAUGHTY PARLIAMENT BOOOO
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fast food chain Burger King says it will trial a new plant-based alternative to its meat burgers.

The Impossible Whopper is made with a type of soybean root called heme, which gives the impression of bleeding, getting close to simulating real meat.

https://news.sky.com/story/burger-king-launches-plant-based-impossible-whopper-11682142

They ought to consider that many vegans do not want to eat a facsimilie of bleeding meat!
    If it is just a facsimilie what would be the problem? The more meatlike it seems the more non vegans might eat it too, better for them and the planet surely? Granted I am not a vegan, but putting up with something that looks meat like seems pretty low on the list of burdens to face, vs not being able to find anything on the menu but meat.
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

I think the intention is to combine motion for a Customs Union, with a motion for a Second Referendum, although I would think that would automatically lose Kenneth Clarke's support.
    Sure, but why cannot that be done tomorrow, or thursday, or friday?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Which makes no sense when they haven't the reason for the extension yet, so do that one first.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Which makes no sense when they haven't the reason for the extension yet, so do that one first.
    It seems like more displacement activity to me.
  • Options

I don't see how the Prime Minister could begin to square that with the emphatic instructions repeatedly given by Parliament that there should not be no deal.
    Parliament doesn't know what it wants, screw them. May be her attitude.
  • Options

Penny a quitter?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Resigned?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

What Theresa will say:

Nothing. Has. Changed.

The God Bless The Good Ship May and all who sail sink in her! :D

• Options
    kle4 said:

Yeah, but the phrase "contempt of Parliament" does hang over that attitude and might have repercussions.
  • Options

Resigned, or physically is no longer in the room?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

If it is just a facsimilie what would be the problem? The more meatlike it seems the more non vegans might eat it too, better for them and the planet surely? Granted I am not a vegan, but putting up with something that looks meat like seems pretty low on the list of burdens to face, vs not being able to find anything on the menu but meat.
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sure, but why cannot that be done tomorrow, or thursday, or friday?
    It is not a deal breaker, but many vegans do not like the taste of meat.

It is hard to make tasty vegeburgers as there needs to be a higher fat content, but linda macartneys are good. BK spicy Beanburger is pretty good, far superior to the mcdonalds version.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

Resigned?
    Left in the ministerial car, so I doubt it. She didn't look happy though according to Faisal Islam.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Makes sense. The commons, by persistently voting against everything, has effectively chosen no-deal since it's the legal default. The executive now has to decide a practical method of implementing that, and doing it over weeks makes no sense. Two years, perhaps.

If the HoC doesn't like it, it can vote _for_ another approach.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019
    Endillion said:

No longer in the room, she left to attend privy council.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Sent her to pick up the Deliveroo order?
  • Options

Or the equally emphatic pronouncements from the EU that they won't allow further delays without a clear plan. Although I guess they're bluffing on that, but they may not be.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

2 "malicious obstructions" placed on rail lines. Police say "Brexit related"
    ?????

Baker and Francois !!!!!
    Private Francois is winning friends everywhere...

https://twitter.com/Simon4NDorset/status/1113109734704508928
  • Options

Resigned?
    or just gone to spend a penny?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

We have over two years of evidence that MPs consider "making sense" to be an optional extra.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

kle4 said:

Yeah, but the phrase "contempt of Parliament" does hang over that attitude and might have repercussions.
    Oh I agree, but I think we can all see May is at her wits end. She doesn't know what to do, and hasn't the authority to do anything if she did, or lacks the political capital to do it even when she has the authority. Parliament and government is going bonkers - people talking about the Queen refusing royal assent, trying to rush through legislation in a day or mere days, each side acting like they won the day when they didn't (Letwin and Cooper seem to think something passed for instance).

I'm more and more convinced she wanted something to win out yesterday and is spitting mad nothing did, because the ball is back in her court.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited April 2019

dixiedean said:

?????

Baker and Francois !!!!!

Are the FPBE lot capable of not putting something or other about a #peoplesvote into a tweet ?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

'Sure, but why cannot that be done tomorrow, or thursday, or friday?'

Because that would be too bloody sensible. Get with the program!

kle4 said:

You mean the EU Withdrawal (Can-Kicking) Bill? Even if Parliament passes it and May goes along with it, hopefully the EU27 will tell her to sod off.

We are well past the point at which some kind of decision should be expected from our rotten, useless leaders.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

?????

Baker and Francois !!!!!

Are the FPBE lot capable of not putting something or other about a #peoplesvote into a tweet ?
    #RevokeArticle50 #PutItToThePeople
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

?????

Baker and Francois !!!!!

No. They don't know what compromise means either. Still, people are at the 'do I as say' mode.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,620
    Foxy said:

Resigned?
    or just gone to spend a penny?
    Penelope Backstop

Whacky Brexit
  • Options
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

?????

Baker and Francois !!!!!

I ignore all those things, it's more the post by the Tory MP in response to it that amuses me.
  • Options
    Re the headline story - hugely ironical because they are actually "No Change UK" - Labour under Corbyn and Brexit Tory Party represent change. They mean "Change" in the Obama sense - all talk and no action
    Sorry if it has been said before
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792

Endillion said:

No longer in the room, she left to attend privy council.
    Technically (and actually, for that matter) Cabinet is a standing committee of the Privy Council
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

'Sure, but why cannot that be done tomorrow, or thursday, or friday?'
    Because that would be too bloody sensible. Get with the program!

kle4 said:

You mean the EU Withdrawal (Can-Kicking) Bill? Even if Parliament passes it and May goes along with it, hopefully the EU27 will tell her to sod off.

We are well past the point at which some kind of decision should be expected from our rotten, useless leaders.

If the Peoples' Vote lot could bring themselves to vote for a Customs Union Brexit, there's a good chance it would win an overall majority among MP's. If a CU Brexit is made subject to a second referendum, then I think it gains and loses about the same number of supporters.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,620
    I think May's plan for today was totally buggered up by all four options being defeated yesterday. Her supposedly ready-made excuse for giving up evaporated.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    It's quite funny to see journalists busy tweeting about a cabinet minister NOT resigning.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Fab interview with Nick Boles. They should have chosen him as next leader. He actually sounded genuine.

(Well done to Laura K who did the interview)
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Re the headline story - hugely ironical because they are actually "No Change UK" - Labour under Corbyn and Brexit Tory Party represent change. They mean "Change" in the Obama sense - all talk and no action

It's worth saying again. It's not a terrible name, but it is pretty funny in that regard.

Still, if they were ever in government in would neuter the standard opposition cry of "It's time for Change"
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited April 2019
    Nothing much in an agenda of continued EU membership, higher taxes and higher Gov spending that is remotely unique. They could have joined the LibDems or joined/stayed in Labour with that agenda.
  • Options
    Emmanuel Macron says EU will not be 'hostage to crisis in the UK' and warns Article 50 extension is not a given
  • Options
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Well, gym, and the rolling text on BBC News kept saying Toadies instead of Tories. Sentences like -

"Much discussion as whether the Toadies will be blamed for a No Deal Brexit."
    "Nobody appears to want to compromise. Not the TIGs, not Labour, not the Toadies."
    "Highly unlikely that there will be an election until there is a new Toady leader."

It was very hard not to laugh. In fact I didn't manage it.
  • Options

I think May's plan for today was totally buggered up by all four options being defeated yesterday. Her supposedly ready-made excuse for giving up evaporated.

Letwin willbe off the christmas card list - went to all that trouble to take the power away from the incompetent government, then couldn't get anything done with it (yet) so just presses on, evaporating the reasoning for there being indicative votes at all.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Lectern alert.

This is not a drill.

Lisa Nandy will hum and haw again regardless. She's already shown herself to be once, twice, three times a maybe.
    She looks like a Simpson's character who is always on the verge of tears
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Meeks, we must squash that silly rumour at once.
  • Options
    He might be right, but he whinging is a bit much when his main gripe seems to be that others won't do as he says, which is the same moan as the government.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    GIN1138 said:

What Theresa will say:

Nothing. Has. Changed.

The God Bless The Good Ship May and all who sail in her! :D

I think you'll be proved to be spot on.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Lectern alert.

This is not a drill.

Source?
    Mikey Smith, Mirror political journo
  • Options
    Prepare yourself for TMay statement bingo!

Money borders laws.
    Nothing has changed.
    The Deal.
    Will of the people.
    No second referendum.
    What does parliament want?

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    kle4 said:

It's worth saying again. It's not a terrible name, but it is pretty funny in that regard.

Still, if they were ever in government in would neuter the standard opposition cry of "It's time for Change"
    Maybe we should amuse ourselves by thinking up what slogan the Tories might run under for their next GE campaign? "Rising from the Ruins", perhaps?
  • Options
    I really hope that she has a very long statement. These 2 minute deals for the 10pm news just annoy MPs and journalists, she should set out in great detail what is going on. What harm could it do?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He might be right, but he whinging is a bit much when his main gripe seems to be that others won't do as he says, which is the same moan as the government.
    He'd have more of a point if the government had whipped against the motion he proposed. Instead, he failed to persuade his colleagues (and hardline remainers of its merits).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Maybe we should amuse ourselves by thinking up what slogan the Tories might run under for their next GE campaign? "Rising from the Ruins", perhaps?
    Strong and Steady?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Roger said:

Fab interview with Nick Boles. They should have chosen him as next leader. He actually sounded genuine.

(Well done to Laura K who did the interview)

PS. Can anyone argue with his thought that NO ONE who served in the Cabinet from 2017 till the present should be next Tory leader or that May's Cabinet is the worst in living memory.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    "Picking up the Pieces"?
  • Options
    Sky reporting the Letwin/Cooper bill, if it gets through the HOC it will need the HOL to sit on friday at which time it is open to amendments, and it is likely brexiteers will table many
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited April 2019
    "You got debate Geoffrey, we got the notion, we get together we can table Brexit motion"
  • Options
    Surely a long extension? No deal doesn't require a motion and any such would be voted down.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Mayhap she will argue that with more preparation more MPs will accept no deal?

In any case, no deal is a bit like gravity. Eventually it will assert itself if you fail to take effective countermeasures.
This discussion has been closed.