Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So TIG becomes Change UK in time for the possible Euro Electio

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    dixiedean said:

What has been little remarked upon is that it is reported 14 of the Cabinet were for No Deal. Out of 26.
    FOURTEEN!

Source. Guardian Politics Live.

In that case how did May conclude that No Deal is to be avoided at all costs?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

What has been little remarked upon is that it is reported 14 of the Cabinet were for No Deal. Out of 26.
    FOURTEEN!

She's a bloody difficult woman.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Lol, so May gives Jez the customs union he's been asking for and now Labour have issues with the WA that can't be changed. Jez is a no deal supporter, has it ever been more obvious?

It is Labour backbenchers May is aiming for, not Corbyn, at the end of the day he is only 1 MP
    Not convinced. With Corbyn backed by McCluskey and Momentum there aren’t that many who want an open break which would surely happen if they support May against Corbyn. If there were, more would be in TIG. At the end of the day they all want to get re-elected.
    Look at the numbers, only 10 Labour MPs voted against a CU on Monday, the vast majority of Labour MPs though voted to no confidence Corbyn. The idea they will follow Corbyn regardless holds no water
    They’ve been blocked in replacing Corbyn once before - by McClusky and Momentum. With deselection campaigns driving out the TIGs I don’t think they are going to try that again. They have no chance of being re-elected with Labour’s nomination.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,016

The funny thing is all the Tory people who finally reluctantly got in behind May by MV3 now suddenly realising they're being flung under the bus anyway. Hilarious.

Had MV3 gone through we would be definitely leaving the EU in May and the single market and the Customs Union after a FTA agreed, thanks to the likes of Francois if we do now leave the EU it is likely to be only while staying permanently in a CU. Those Tory MPs who backed MV3 are now shown to have been right
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

dixiedean said:

FOURTEEN!

Did she? It seems noticeable that the language on No Deal was different this week. Back to being 'we could cope with no deal if we need to but its not ideal'.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

In other news, another pedo terrorist, though Tommy Robinson inexplicably doesn't seem interested.

https://twitter.com/BBCLancashire/status/1113038829399703552?s=19

The Liverpool UKIP twitter account is attempting a splenetic defence of National Action and this little scumbag, in case you were wondering if UKIP were still a going concern.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So the two current politicians least attuned to compromise are getting in a room together to compromise. I have concerns.

May needs Labour votes to pass her deal and retire with a legacy.
    What can May give Labour in return that Corbyn needs?

That is the question. Is a statesmanlike moment valuable enough?

The total and utter destruction of the Tory party might be enough.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Lol, so May gives Jez the customs union he's been asking for and now Labour have issues with the WA that can't be changed. Jez is a no deal supporter, has it ever been more obvious?

It is Labour backbenchers May is aiming for, not Corbyn, at the end of the day he is only 1 MP
    They have been remarkably faithful to the whip, on passing the WA at least. On that, nothing has changed.
    Have they? Even the party chairman defied the whip on EUref2.

Nandy etc said they wanted a Customs Union to switch, they may now get it and Customs Union fell by just 3 of a majority with most Labour MPs voting for it and most Tory MPs voting against it but crucially more Tory MPs voted for a Customs Union than Labour MPs voted against a Customs Union
    I did specify 'on passing the WA' because that is what matters. I see theoretically the numbers of a CU, but I think so few Tories will back it that May will face too many resignations, whatever she might think she can push through.
    37 Tory MPs already voted for a CU, she can ignore resignations
    If 200 MPs oppose her she can theoretically get this plan through. But will she actually do it?
    I think so, otherwise she would not have made this statement. Only 10 Labour MPs actually voted against a Customs Union (significantly fewer than the number of Labour MPs who voted against Common Market 2.0, revoke and EUref2), as opposed to 37 Tory MPs who voted for a Customs Union (more than the number of Tory MPs who voted for EUref2, revoke or CM2) and 40 Tory MPs who abstained.

Deal plus CU is the surest way to get her Deal through now

https://ig.ft.com/brexit-second-round-indicative-votes/

I think it's quite a clever idea to suggest that both she and Corbyn agree to respect the will of the Commons. In a sense it would provide political cover for both of them.
    Agreed, let the Commons decide, it is clear they are inches away from passing a Deal plus CU anyway
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

dixiedean said:

FOURTEEN!

The Guardian have been misquoted. It was 14 against a long extension, so that lumps together short extension and no deal advocates.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    HYUFD said:

The funny thing is all the Tory people who finally reluctantly got in behind May by MV3 now suddenly realising they're being flung under the bus anyway. Hilarious.

Had MV3 gone through we would be definitely leaving the EU in May and the single market and the Customs Union after a FTA agreed, thanks to the likes of Francois if we do now leave the EU it is likely to be only while staying permanently in a CU. Those Tory MPs who backed MV3 are now shown to have been right
    Far be it for me to defend the idiots in the ERG but I thought they said that even if every member of the ERG voted for May's deal there still wouldn't have been a majority for MV3?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Far be it for me to defend the idiots in the ERG but I thought they said that even if every member of the ERG voted for May's deal there still wouldn't have been a majority for MV3?
    But if every member of the ERG had voted for the deal people like me wouldn't be able to blame them for Brexit not happening.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

FOURTEEN!

The Guardian have been misquoted. It was 14 against a long extension, so that lumps together short extension and no deal advocates.
    This also from Beth Rigby:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1113151810477416448
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

That Masterton tweet looks like a huge dollop of wishful thinking.
    I think there's a serious possibility of that.
    I really don't think there's a majority in the HOC for revoking. SNP, Lucas, a few dozen Lab, not all the LDs, not all TIG. There's strong support in the Labour party for forcing the Tories into revoking, but that's not the same thing. If the PM went to see HMQ I can't think of anyone who would command the support of the house. That's anyone at all, not anyone who would back Revoke. The only person who has commanded a majority on a brexit matter is Kit Malthouse.

Any more sensible names come to mind?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Reality in no way resembles what Boris promised everyone ?
    What a surprise.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    He could get his mates to vote for the WA. Easy response I know, but it is true. Look in the mirror for the problem, Boris.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,215
    He is surprisingly getting a good spanking by the good people of Twitterdom.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

It is, but they left it too late and gave it too big a hurdle to climb.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    No one can be that fucking stupid.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

dots said:

HYUFD said:

dots said:

Barnesian said:

dots said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

The EU will not agree to an extension to 22 May. Period. Because the Euros will not have been held, it will be a true cliff edge and unlikely to be met. Even a last minute revoke is problematic if we have no MEPs.

The EU will insist on a long extension and the UK taking part in the Euros while a deal is thrashed out.

Euro election this year at 1.46 on Betfair is good value.

Sky's Mark Stone has said there will be no problem to an extension to the 22nd May
    He's plain wrong!
    I think EU reporters are right. IF its a softer labour brexit added to the PD then EU will grant time to get the WA passed, which is how May put it isn’t it?
    That will take longer than 22 May and will involve Euro elections.
    It doesn’t take long for EU to incorporate Labour Brexit into the PD EU have told us often it will only take them a couple of days to do it. Labour Brexit in the PD both party leaders in the same lobby, this could be done and dusted this week.

Unfortunately the Tory party are about to dispose of May for this mad plan of U turning to a Labour `brexit.
    Deltapoll at the weekend had Tory voters backing Deal plus Customs Union 42% to 27% but Labour voters only backing it 35% to 31%, this could yet be a shrewd move by May if it leads to extension then Deal plus Customs Union passing the Commons
    Are you trolling me with your flimsy delta poll?

It’s going to take more than that poll to save her.

14 cabinet ministers and 200 MPs against this, and that’s the remainery end of the party 😄
    As long as it gets through the Commons that is enough, May will then step down as Tory leader and PM and leave the Tory Party to others
    She is going to break the party and hand the country to marxist anti semites

What a legacy
    She isn't, more Tory voters in fact back Deal plus CU with Deltapoll than Labour voters even if more Tory voters back No Deal.
    Deal plus CU sounds fine but actually isn't. I suspect very strongly that Tory voters (and in fact voters in general) will hate it once they learn what it is.

They may do but it will only be in the non binding PD not the legally binding WA and I am sure Boris, Raab etc will promise to try and negotiate for a FTA instead if they are elected to succeed May
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We live in a country where Mark Francois is an MP. Plenty of people are incredibly stupid.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He could get his mates to vote for the WA. Easy response I know, but it is true. Look in the mirror for the problem, Boris.
    His mates voting for it can't make it live up to what he promised people.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

FOURTEEN!

Did she? It seems noticeable that the language on No Deal was different this week. Back to being 'we could cope with no deal if we need to but its not ideal'.
    She talks the 'we could cope with No Deal' talk but she knows what a disaster it would be and, quite reasonably, is not ultimately going to be the PM who brings that about (imo).
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    C4 news says may likely to propose to Corbyn they formally back another series of indicative votes and agree to abide by the outcome ie almost certainly leading to Deal plus CU
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    Drutt said:

I really don't think there's a majority in the HOC for revoking. SNP, Lucas, a few dozen Lab, not all the LDs, not all TIG. There's strong support in the Labour party for forcing the Tories into revoking, but that's not the same thing. If the PM went to see HMQ I can't think of anyone who would command the support of the house. That's anyone at all, not anyone who would back Revoke. The only person who has commanded a majority on a brexit matter is Kit Malthouse.

Didn't revoke get 180 votes in indicative vote 1.0?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

We live in a country where Mark Francois is an MP. Plenty of people are incredibly stupid.
    Not only an MP. Mark Francois was Cameron's Shadow Europe Minister.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

C4 news says may likely to propose to Corbyn they formally back another series of indicative votes and agree to abide by the outcome ie almost certainly leading to Deal plus CU

That’s what we were talking about last night. They read this place.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I am impressed by the clarity of what Jeremy Corbyn is saying. He is sounding very statesmanlike. Who would have thought it?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Not necessarily as around 10-20 Labour MPs considering voting for the Deal declined to do so at the last minute once they saw it was going to lose.

You can rebel if you know you will win, no point rebelling only to lose and still face all the hostility from your party colleagues
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Foxy said:

Drutt said:

Didn't revoke get 180 votes in indicative vote 1.0?
    And 184 last week, but they were both marked by a lot of LAB abstentions and no LAB aye whip. Keeps revoke on the table, but doesn't actually commit the party.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

He is surprisingly getting a good spanking by the good people of Twitterdom.
    "And who made those promises, Boris?" is a popular theme.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

dixiedean said:

FOURTEEN!

She talks the 'we could cope with No Deal' talk but she knows what a disaster it would be and, quite reasonably, is not ultimately going to be the PM who brings that about (imo).
    Tic toc, if by next week there's no deal reached then she just might go over the edge gripping firmly on to Corbyn.

Makes me think of Gollum at Mount Doom.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,286
    This thread is

in talks with the opposition

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Corbyn was very good.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,286
    Barclay now making personal attacks on Corbyn on R4. What a way to start a negotiation!
This discussion has been closed.