Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The attention now turns to TMay’s attendance at the 1922 commi

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Drutt said:

CROSSOVER KLAXON.

MV3 to pass is now odds on, at least at WmHills. Evs or thereabouts elsewhere.

It's over.
    Looks like a good time to bet against it to me. The votes just don’t look to be there yet. There are still too many staunch holdouts.
    Was Sheryll Murray on your list (she now says she'll support it)?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,404
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I'm still wondering: how does Theresa May standing down make the Deal any better than it was before?

It has won over Boris, IDS, Burns, Rees-Mogg etc for the Deal which gives it a chance but it will probably still fall just short. If as expected SM and or customs union then wins the indicative votes tonight and MV3 fails May could well call a general election on a platform of giving her a majority for her Deal or BINO with PM Corbyn and the SNP
    Yes, fighting a GE on "let's leave the customs union" will be a sure fire winner.
    Well it will for Tories, Corbyn as PM guarantees staying permanently in a Customs Union
    If the Tories call another snap GE and the reason has anything to do with Brexit, I expect they will be in for another surprise.
    As I said before I would expect sadly a repeat of February 1974, May like Heath says 'who governs Britain' the public says 'Not You'. Though like Feb 1974 it would be very close, remember Heath won the popular vote and a majority in England even if Wilson won most seats across the UK.

I would then expect Corbyn to become PM on a platform of negotiating Single Market and Customs Union BINO with the EU propped up by the SNP while Boris wins the Tory leadership on a hard Brexit platform after May resigns and Boris then becomes Leader of the Opposition
    Put that to your Tory friends and I can't see them saying "Great, HY, let's go for it!"
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Interesting to note that the public favour a referendum yet reject any plausible option that might be on it.

Maybe Parliament is merely reflecting the nation.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I wonder whether there will be any hanging chads tonight

Are there any suicidal ERG members named Chad?
  • Options
    JackW said:

I live in Chadsmoor, if that's any help.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    This extension motion is simply going to be a count of ERG support on the no side, with everyone else in favour
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sean_F said:

Drutt said:

CROSSOVER KLAXON.

MV3 to pass is now odds on, at least at WmHills. Evs or thereabouts elsewhere.

It's over.
    Looks like a good time to bet against it to me. The votes just don’t look to be there yet. There are still too many staunch holdouts.
    Was Sheryll Murray on your list (she now says she'll support it)?
    Yes, so far my fake irreconcilable list is Conor Burns, Boris Johnson, Sherryl Murray and Henry Smith. The rump stands at 34 including Suella Braverman.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    If Theres's deal goes through on Friday I wonder if she will stand down as Con leader next week but stay on as PM to over see us leaving the EU on 22nd May.

A Con leadership election takes around two months so that would mean the new leader takes over as PM just after Brexit Day - It also means the Summer (June or July) is freed up for a general election.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    ydoethur said:

Interesting to note that the public favour a referendum yet reject any plausible option that might be on it.

A recent poll suggested 61:39 in favour of remain over May' s deal in any referendum ; something the Tories may have briefly forgotten tonight.

In fact those numbers are more decisive than any of the questions listed below - it's the getting to the referendum that's roughly as contentious as some of the others, which is certainly a bit illogical.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,965

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1110983859007639552

This is exposing the pragmatists and the hard core of the ERG.

The ERG pragmatists switched on MV2.
    The ERG posturers are switching now.
    The ERG nutters will never switch.
    That's a decent summary I think. If one wishes to be less pejorative, 'ERG true believers' will never switch is fine.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I'm still wondering: how does Theresa May standing down make the Deal any better than it was before?

It has won over Boris, IDS, Burns, Rees-Mogg etc for the Deal which gives it a chance but it will probably still fall just short. If as expected SM and or customs union then wins the indicative votes tonight and MV3 fails May could well call a general election on a platform of giving her a majority for her Deal or BINO with PM Corbyn and the SNP
    Yes, fighting a GE on "let's leave the customs union" will be a sure fire winner.
    Well it will for Tories, Corbyn as PM guarantees staying permanently in a Customs Union
    If the Tories call another snap GE and the reason has anything to do with Brexit, I expect they will be in for another surprise.
    As I said before I would expect sadly a repeat of February 1974, May like Heath says 'who governs Britain' the public says 'Not You'. Though like Feb 1974 it would be very close, remember Heath won the popular vote and a majority in England even if Wilson won most seats across the UK.

I would then expect Corbyn to become PM on a platform of negotiating Single Market and Customs Union BINO with the EU propped up by the SNP while Boris wins the Tory leadership on a hard Brexit platform after May resigns and Boris then becomes Leader of the Opposition
    Put that to your Tory friends and I can't see them saying "Great, HY, let's go for it!"
    Boris would like it.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    rkrkrk said:

Esther McVey value at over 100/1 for next Tory leader?

Edit: spoke too soon, looks to be all gone on betfair.

I'd take that price.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given the DUP and about 20 Tory MPs are still refusing to back the Deal and the Deal still does not have at least 20 Labour MPs backing it has May just made a unicorn resignation proposal?

Who might swing from Labour without a whip?

Who else is sympathetic?

I can’t think of anyone.
    Which means even if every Tory MP voted for the Deal the Deal would still be narrowly defeated if no more Labour MPs switch to back the Deal and the DUP still votes against the Deal
    For a completely unrelated £1bn, I would imagine the DUP might abstain along with a few of the remaining ERG purists. That should see it home.
    For an unrelated billion and a face saving gesture they may even vote for. But the ERG got its pound of flesh tonight, the DUP will not switch until they've got theirs.
    What might swing the DUP? They already have a £1B splurge of general funding for NI. Add your suggestions here.

(1) Ministerial jag for Arlene?
    (2) Ireland kicked out of 6N?
    (3) A laser big enough to write F*CK THE POPE on the moon?
    (4) Wood pellet burner for Westminster?
    (5) Ban Riverdance?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    ydoethur said:

Well if there was a plausible option they liked, they probably wouldn't be in favour of a referendum.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,396
    Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given the DUP and about 20 Tory MPs are still refusing to back the Deal and the Deal still does not have at least 20 Labour MPs backing it has May just made a unicorn resignation proposal?

Who else is sympathetic?

I can’t think of anyone.
    Which means even if every Tory MP voted for the Deal the Deal would still be narrowly defeated if no more Labour MPs switch to back the Deal and the DUP still votes against the Deal
    For a completely unrelated £1bn, I would imagine the DUP might abstain along with a few of the remaining ERG purists. That should see it home.
    For an unrelated billion and a face saving gesture they may even vote for. But the ERG got its pound of flesh tonight, the DUP will not switch until they've got theirs.
    What might swing the DUP? They already have a £1B splurge of general funding for NI. Add your suggestions here.

(5) Ban Riverdance?
    (2) Except that Ireland plays as a single nation in the Rugby!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

Er .... No .... :smile:
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Yes was almost evens earlier, but now sliding back out, 2.42 now.

The arithmetic is still awful with the DUP against. Even with it's not guaranteed.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

A recent poll suggested 61:39 in favour of remain over May' s deal in any referendum ; something the Tories may have briefly forgotten tonight.
    Opinium however, have 45/55, and Survation 50/50. It depends how many Leavers abstain or vote for it.
  • Options
    JackW said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

Ex-mining village. Not distinguished in architecture but I like it.

Most famous as the birthplace of the greatest bowler who ever lived.
  • Options
    Apparently a direct quote from Steve Baker's impassioned speech to the ERG: "I could tear this place down and bulldoze it into the river"
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Opinium however, have 45/55, and Survation 50/50. It depends how many Leavers abstain or vote for it.
    Aren't those figures for Remain / Leave, though, rather than specifically for Remain / May's Deal ?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Who else is sympathetic?

I can’t think of anyone.

(5) Ban Riverdance?
    The DUP can do the maths and see the writing on the wall. They know that there's zero reason for them to switch early but by switching late they can name their price. Plus if they don't give in then they risk PM Corbyn. Plus they've flown kites about potentially backing it if they get the right assurances.

They'll be given assurances to guarantee no internal UK barriers and coincidentally another billion splurged on Northern Ireland for entirely unrelated reasons.

"I don't know what assurances May has given the DUP, but Northern Ireland now has a space program".
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,296
    The ERG are mad aren't they. I mean absolutely barking.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    IanB2 said:

Apparently a direct quote from Steve Baker's impassioned speech to the ERG: "I could tear this place down and bulldoze it into the river"

What a knob he really is
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The Revolutionary Conservative Party.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

If Theres's deal goes through on Friday I wonder if she will stand down as Con leader next week but stay on as PM to over see us leaving the EU on 22nd May.

A Con leadership election takes around two months so that would mean the new leader takes over as PM just after Brexit Day - It also means the Summer (June or July) is freed up for a general election.

Cutting through the airy persiflage of today, I still cannot see the numbers for the May deal. No DUP and without the Tory BREXIT and REMAIN rebels and she's still well short.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Who else is sympathetic?

I can’t think of anyone.

(5) Ban Riverdance?
    You mean being styled as "the guardians of the union" or whatever JRM called them today isn't enough?
  • Options
    Cash insisting both Commons and Lords approval is needed to postpone EU exit. He must be close to the mystery Betfair punter; first mention of the Lords. I wonder who they have lined up for tomorrow's attempted filibuster?
  • Options

What gave it away?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,317
    So with TM going the PD is no longer meaningless. It is now utterly meaningless.

MV on the WA only to pass soon.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    IanB2 said:

Cash insisting both Commons and Lords approval is needed to postpone EU exit. He must be close to the mystery Betfair punter; first mention of the Lords. I wonder who they have lined up for tomorrow's attempted filibuster?

The irreconciliables must have something in mind otherwise their continued opposition makes no sense.
  • Options
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

So Muttiah Muralitharan only played for Sri Lanka by residency ?!?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Yep. In fact I'd put them a few stops on from Barking - roughly Upminster.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:
    Let him resign the whip - it loses him whatever influence he might think he has.

No party needs idiots like that running round shooting his mouth off
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I can hear strings playing Elgar in the background.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Norm said:

IanB2 said:

The irreconciliables must have something in mind otherwise their continued opposition makes no sense.
    It's the person piling £thousands onto apparently lost bets that interests me

The ERG were going to oppose regardless. But big bets like that imply some sort of plan
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Cutting through the airy persiflage of today, I still cannot see the numbers for the May deal. No DUP and without the Tory BREXIT and REMAIN rebels and she's still well short.
    And that's assuming they're even allowed to vote on it
  • Options
    JackW said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

So Muttiah Muralitharan only played for Sri Lanka by residency ?!?
    On checking it was actually where he died. He was born in Smethwick.

But Sydney F. Barnes was a Chadsmoor man.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    AndyJS said:

Because it is not a Deal. It is a non-Deal because so much is left undecided. All that has really been decided is that the UK will have thrown all its best cards away for the next phase of negotiations.

Who leads the UK in that next phase of negotiation nonetheless matters and that is why the prospect of May going does at least sugar the pill slightly.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Let him resign the whip - it loses him whatever influence he might think he has.

Better still withdraw the whip from him
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I entirely agree with him about fools, knaves and cowards voting on things they don't even understand.

I'm just amazed he's sufficiently self aware to realise it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I was imagining the Monty Python theme tune
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

A single tiny, tiny, tiny violin, perhaps?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,396

Yep. In fact I'd put them a few stops on from Barking - roughly Upminster.
    isam might not like that remark :lol:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Keep David Lidington onside in the betting. I doubt others would share her view.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787

Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Who else is sympathetic?

I can’t think of anyone.

(5) Ban Riverdance?
    The DUP can do the maths and see the writing on the wall. They know that there's zero reason for them to switch early but by switching late they can name their price. Plus if they don't give in then they risk PM Corbyn. Plus they've flown kites about potentially backing it if they get the right assurances.

They'll be given assurances to guarantee no internal UK barriers and coincidentally another billion splurged on Northern Ireland for entirely unrelated reasons.

"I don't know what assurances May has given the DUP, but Northern Ireland now has a space program".
    While I think that MPs can be quite mercenary, I am less convinced than PB Tories that bribery can get either the DUP or Labour rebels into May's lobby. Indeed May standing down in favour of probably a hard Brexiteer is likely to push them away. I can't see it working myself.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289

Scott_P said:
    Falstaff.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

:+1: No more messing around. Let them join The Brexit Party.
  • Options
    juniusjunius Posts: 73
    I will vote Labour (as I have done for over 50 years) - if Jeremy Corben agrees to go.

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    LOL Cable knows so much about dignity doesn't he! :lol:

Twat
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Scott_P said:

Be careful though. He's got a temper. And a bulldozer. Apparently.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    I have been in the pub for several hours. Can someone round up for me what’s going down in Chinatown?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I'm imagining it being said in a quavering Jordan Peterson voice
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Keep David Lidington onside in the betting. I doubt others would share her view.
    My wallet is screaming 'Yeeeessss'!!!
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

I have been in the pub for several hours. Can someone round up for me what’s going down in Chinatown?

Have another pint and tune in at 9pm
  • Options
    junius said:

I will vote Labour (as I have done for over 50 years) - if Jeremy Corben agrees to go.

Shall I have his people hammer out the details with your people?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Aren't those figures for Remain / Leave, though, rather than specifically for Remain / May's Deal ?
    No, May's Deal/Remain.
  • Options
    Bill Cash going off on one
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Have another pint and tune out till Friday, is another possible suggestion.
  • Options
    By the way, when are we going to get the indicative vote results?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Wait. Carthage lost the Second Punic War?

Paging Morris Dancer.
  • Options

45 minutes time
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    BBC News running clips of what Mogg, Boris, DD etc have said about the deal in the past and what they are saying now.

It’s all very funny.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

No, May's Deal/Remain.
    Looks like a range of views then, generally from strongly opposed to May's deal to mildly opposed. One thing that could sway some Tory voters is the new-found love, marshmallows and kisses for it from Boris and company, though, I suppose.
  • Options
    👀👀

US regulators are probing Swedbank over a series of money-laundering scandals in a dramatic escalation of the Swedish bank’s dirty-money problems.

The New York State Department of Financial Services wrote to Swedbank last month saying it was looking into seven separate matters involving the Swedish bank, according to a copy of the letter seen by the Financial Times.

News of the letter came on the same day that Swedish prosecutors raided Swedbank and only hours after it emerged that it handled €135bn of money from high-risk non-residents, mostly Russians, through its Estonian operation over the past decade.

https://www.ft.com/content/acc757b0-507a-11e9-b401-8d9ef1626294
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

45 minutes time
    Thanks
  • Options
  • Options

BBC News running clips of what Mogg, Boris, DD etc have said about the deal in the past and what they are saying now.

It’s all very funny.

It really is very pathetic.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,776
    edited March 2019
    My takes on Theresa May's self sacrifice to the false ERG god:

1. The ERG rationalisation that May's resignation makes a bad deal worthwhile is that what happens next is decided entirely by the ERG as part of their control of the next Tory leader. This needs to take no account of what parliament or the country wants.

2. Labour MPs have even less reason to vote for May's Deal.

3. Brexit destroys the DUP reputation for being wily political operators. They made their first mistake by supporting a Brexit that destabilises Northern Ireland. They compounded their mistake by throwing their lot in with the ERG, when a customs union would get them out of their backstop trap. I wouldn't rule out the DUP making a third mistake (from their PoV) by voting for May's Deal that doesn't include a customs union. However...

4. I think it's quite likely that MP votes will indicate something that includes a customs union. And ...

5. Don't imagine Brexit will be settled any time soon. Limbo will continue for years yet, at the grace and favour of the EU in terms of rolling over extensions.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

I have genuinely just learned the news about MayDay because a Tube worker has scribbled it on a whiteboard.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    dr_spyn said:
    I had an 'onn/off switch' pun lined up since I heard that Lab was whipping for Kyle/Wilson/Beckett but missed her resignation.

Wait, has Charlie Faulkner gone too?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Is there some point at which the number of ERG holdouts is few enough to whip?

I think we're already there.
    I wonder how gung-ho the Tory Remainers are?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

It’s all very funny.

It really is very pathetic.
    They're begrudgingly coming around to back what you want. There's no need to gloat.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Just backed Steve Baker at long odds. If Corbyn can win the Labour leadership...
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The assumption appears to be that if May's deal passes the Tory leadership contest is primed to start the day after exit day in late May but the PM stays in office as leader and PM until the contest is concluded. Puts a possible departure date into late summer, I guess?

The issue is that if her deal fails she appears to want to stay longer but many of her colleagues have a different view.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    "Did Magna Carta die in vain?"
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,872
    Those who apparently needed May’s head on a platter to support the deal are just scum, plain and simple.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Just backed Steve Baker at long odds. If Corbyn can win the Labour leadership...

😲
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

Yesterday they were the Grand Wizards.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The thought of that made me ill.
  • Options

It’s all very funny.

They changed their mind due to external circumstances. Are the BBC suggesting that nobody should change their mind, ever?

Perhaps they should replay all Corbyn's comments on the EU too.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,947
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

dr_spyn said:
    Have I ever mentioned I tipped Hunt, Lidington, and Hancock at 100/1?
    A firm of solicitors has never held office.
    Lloyd George, Roberts and Co. says hello.
    Ah so that's the firm you've been using for the work on the accidental scrambling of your name. Have you considered that the ostensible partners haven't been seen since the 1920s? I realise that there's precedent in slow progress, but Jarndice aside you may want to consider the state of affairs. I realise this may be unwelcome news, but you may die before the wise posts you've made on PB are correctly attributed to yourself.

Ydoethur's name is " y doethur", which is Welsh for "The Doctor". Unfortunately there has never been a Welsh Doctor Who, so the obvious joke goes unspoken... :(
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Lmao seeing Steve Bakers meltdown !
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited March 2019
    Betfair Exchange thinks Ken Clarke's Custom Union will get a majority.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,965
    Artist said:

Betfair Exchange thinks Ken Clarke's Custom Union will get a majority.

Doesn't that kind of kill MV3? Why would Clarke, for example, vote for the WA again if he has a majority for a different option?
  • Options
    Being a PB loyalist, and going to PB before the BBC site, I must be the only person in the whole country who learned of Melanie Onn’s resignation before I learned of Theresa May’s.
This discussion has been closed.