Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The attention now turns to TMay’s attendance at the 1922 commi

123457»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

I wonder whether there will be any hanging chads tonight

Are there any suicidal ERG members named Chad?
    I live in Chadsmoor, if that's any help.
    Celebrating slavery? How non PC of you
  • Options

Bill Cash going off on one

Tbh, that could be a report from any time during the last 30 years.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The banter heuristic demands that the ERG vote down MV3, and Tezza revokes Article 50 the next day.

And doesn't resign.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Artist said:

Betfair Exchange thinks Ken Clarke's Custom Union will get a majority.

Though sounds like a lot of Tories abstaining so even if it gets a majority it probably won't be the 320 required to secure a majority of Parliament.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

BBC News running clips of what Mogg, Boris, DD etc have said about the deal in the past and what they are saying now.

It’s all very funny.

They changed their mind due to external circumstances. Are the BBC suggesting that nobody should change their mind, ever?

Perhaps they should replay all Corbyn's comments on the EU too.
    Apparently MPs are allowed to change their minds, but the public aren’t.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Scott_P said:

The banter heuristic demands that the ERG vote down MV3, and Tezza revokes Article 50 the next day.

And doesn't resign.

Calls a General Election and bans them from the candidates list.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Scott_P said:

And doesn't resign.

I would laugh like a ******* drain!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

BBC News running clips of what Mogg, Boris, DD etc have said about the deal in the past and what they are saying now.

It’s all very funny.

It really is very pathetic.
    They're begrudgingly coming around to back what you want. There's no need to gloat.
    It might be too late. But I would agree that if they have come around, the time for mockering and insulting is in the general washup after the damn thing is passed, when praise and recrimination can take place.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anyway, I closed down my big red number on Jeremy Corbyn for next Prime Minister tonight. Best not to be too greedy.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Scott_P said:

And doesn't resign.

Suspend the "Spartans" from the party, call GE, then resign.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    nico67 said:

Lmao seeing Steve Bakers meltdown !

Its someone working out they dun f**ked up in slow-mo.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

Artist said:

Betfair Exchange thinks Ken Clarke's Custom Union will get a majority.

Though sounds like a lot of Tories abstaining so even if it gets a majority it probably won't be the 320 required to secure a majority of Parliament.
    The Cabinet is being helpful by abstaining rather than opposing the alternatives to their own plan. Which may in time prove to be wise politics.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    That's just the usual nonsense that demonstrates that all the various factors are just looking for reasons to vote against. Heck, a bunch of them were using May using harsh language as an excuse. Either the deal is the best option we have or it isn't, it is a difficult decision but it really is not actually complicated.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

Is that another Kafka homage I don't get?
  • Options

nico67 said:

Lmao seeing Steve Bakers meltdown !

Its someone working out they dun f**ked up in slow-mo.
    Has he? How?

What has he lost out on that he'd have won had he backed May's deal at the start?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774

Scott_P said:

And doesn't resign.

Seriously, if they vote against the whip enough times can they have the whip removed?
  • Options
    Christ on a bike, what's left to debate about?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And doesn't resign.

Seriously, if they vote against the whip enough times can they have the whip removed?
    If its a confidence matter they only need to vote against [or even abstain] once to have the whip removed.
  • Options
    junius said:

I will vote Labour (as I have done for over 50 years) - if Jeremy Corben agrees to go.

But...that means you did last time too. Has anything changed that you would not do so even if he does not go?
  • Options
    The Tory benches are just the ERG talking to themselves. With a few Labour MPs opposite sitting there with their popcorn.
  • Options

It’s all very funny.

They're begrudgingly coming around to back what you want. There's no need to gloat.
    I do not gloat over any of this. I find the whole issue deeply unpleasant
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And doesn't resign.

If its a confidence matter they only need to vote against [or even abstain] once to have the whip removed.
    Thanks. but does the concept of a 'confidence matter' still exist in FTPA-land?
  • Options
    initforthemoneyinitforthemoney Posts: 736
    edited March 2019
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

Er .... No .... :smile:
    Ex-mining village. Not distinguished in architecture but I like it.

Most famous as the birthplace of the greatest bowler who ever lived.
    Wikipedia reckons Sydney Barnes was born in Smethwick

edit: see you spotted that first
  • Options

It’s all very funny.

I do not gloat over any of this. I find the whole issue deeply unpleasant
    As do I but from a different angle to you.

This is an area where passions run very high.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Why does Angela Eagle keep getting called on to speak?

Surely there are other MPs who could make a better contribution...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

Yesterday they were the Grand Wizards.
    Boris is a wizard beneath the sheets.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    viewcode said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

dr_spyn said:
    Have I ever mentioned I tipped Hunt, Lidington, and Hancock at 100/1?
    A firm of solicitors has never held office.
    Lloyd George, Roberts and Co. says hello.
    Ah so that's the firm you've been using for the work on the accidental scrambling of your name. Have you considered that the ostensible partners haven't been seen since the 1920s? I realise that there's precedent in slow progress, but Jarndice aside you may want to consider the state of affairs. I realise this may be unwelcome news, but you may die before the wise posts you've made on PB are correctly attributed to yourself.

Ydoethur's name is " y doethur", which is Welsh for "The Doctor". Unfortunately there has never been a Welsh Doctor Who, so the obvious joke goes unspoken... :(
    Obit of W R P George, LL G's nephew.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/w-r-p-george-425252.html
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    What time will the results come through?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Foxy said:

Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given the DUP and about 20 Tory MPs are still refusing to back the Deal and the Deal still does not have at least 20 Labour MPs backing it has May just made a unicorn resignation proposal?

Who might swing from Labour without a whip?

Who else is sympathetic?

I can’t think of anyone.
    Which means even if every Tory MP voted for the Deal the Deal would still be narrowly defeated if no more Labour MPs switch to back the Deal and the DUP still votes against the Deal
    For a completely unrelated £1bn, I would imagine the DUP might abstain along with a few of the remaining ERG purists. That should see it home.
    For an unrelated billion and a face saving gesture they may even vote for. But the ERG got its pound of flesh tonight, the DUP will not switch until they've got theirs.
    What might swing the DUP? They already have a £1B splurge of general funding for NI. Add your suggestions here.

(1) Ministerial jag for Arlene?
    (2) Ireland kicked out of 6N?
    (3) A laser big enough to write F*CK THE POPE on the moon?
    (4) Wood pellet burner for Westminster?
    (5) Ban Riverdance?
    The DUP can do the maths and see the writing on the wall. They know that there's zero reason for them to switch early but by switching late they can name their price. Plus if they don't give in then they risk PM Corbyn. Plus they've flown kites about potentially backing it if they get the right assurances.

They'll be given assurances to guarantee no internal UK barriers and coincidentally another billion splurged on Northern Ireland for entirely unrelated reasons.

"I don't know what assurances May has given the DUP, but Northern Ireland now has a space program".
    While I think that MPs can be quite mercenary, I am less convinced than PB Tories that bribery can get either the DUP or Labour rebels into May's lobby. Indeed May standing down in favour of probably a hard Brexiteer is likely to push them away. I can't see it working myself.
    Nor can I, but that's a pretty lame reason to be pushed away, and very likely a made up excuse - any new leader will be constrained by the same factor of the parliamentary numbers, or else need to seek a GE. We haven't gotten a Brexit the ERG would like because there are not the numbers in parliament for it, and there still won't be after May goes.

So why I agree with you I don't think it will work, I question the sincerity of anyone who claims that as a reason they might have backed the deal but cannot now.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And doesn't resign.

Legally? No.

Theoretically? Probably.

If the government said on Friday "this is a matter of confidence, if we lose this vote we are withdrawing the whip from any rebels and putting forward a motion to have an early election" then that'd do it in practice even if not in theory.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And doesn't resign.

If only Blair had done that with Corbyn and Macdonnell...
  • Options
    I'm going to skip watching the announcements live - the results always come through a minute earlier on PB than they do on the 'live' BBC HoC stream.

(Mind you, if we all did that they wouldn't appear on hear at all I guess.)
  • Options
    Sane MPs should now REJECT the deal, simply because it will throw the Tory party into the hands of the hard right. Keep MayDay in place and roll over a soft Brexit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Scott_P said:
    More like the last emperor Romulus.
    Just before the dissolution of the Western Empire.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Oh shut up Eagle. You are spouting rubbish over and over.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And doesn't resign.

Legally? No.

Theoretically? Probably.

If the government said on Friday "this is a matter of confidence, if we lose this vote we are withdrawing the whip from any rebels and putting forward a motion to have an early election" then that'd do it in practice even if not in theory.
    Maybe that should be May's MV3 plan?

Of course, she probably wants MV3 to fail now so that she can stay on. :wink:
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,625
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

Don't.

You're putting me off my Indicative Votes snacks.
  • Options

Oh shut up Eagle. You are spouting rubbish over and over.

Very well-argued! :wink:
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Scott_P said:

And doesn't resign.

Legally? No.

Theoretically? Probably.

I don't think a PM would last long after that!!

Oh, right.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

I think somebody told them that "Grand Wizard" was a Klu Klux Klan rank. After discussing alternatives such as "Grand Moff", "Dalek Emperor" and "SS-Sturmbannfuhrer", they went for "High Wizard" instead.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The division on the changed date takes place at 9.00 and the results follow that

Maybe plus minus a bit around 9.15
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

The division on the changed date takes place at 9.00 and the results follow that

Maybe plus minus a bit around 9.15
    Thanks BGNW.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

I'll take your word for it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And doesn't resign.

Legally? No.

Theoretically? Probably.

Maybe that should be May's MV3 plan?

Of course, she probably wants MV3 to fail now so that she can stay on. :wink:
    She could always do a Barclay?

Meanwhile the idiot Jenkin goes off on one.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Sane MPs should now REJECT the deal, simply because it will throw the Tory party into the hands of the hard right.

How? Even if an ERG member gets put to the membership and they win they aren't getting a hard right Brexit through parliament.
  • Options
    At least we now know the ERG are split and fighting each other.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

I think somebody told them that "Grand Wizard" was a Klu Klux Klan rank. After discussing alternatives such as "Grand Moff", "Dalek Emperor" and "SS-Sturmbannfuhrer", they went for "High Wizard" instead.
    They are about as effective as the Wizard of Oz
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

Don't.

You're putting me off my Indicative Votes snacks.
    Is this like that favourite crisps pyramid thingy the other day?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

Except - the Wizard of Oz did give everyone except Dorothy what they wanted - by showing they had had it all the time...
  • Options
    The only good thing about Brexit is that it seems to be pissing the ERG off more than anyone else.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314

Although it is classically odd. Sparta vs Carthage vs Rome vs Grand Wizards from Middle Earth.

When I was a 14 year old wargamer, this would have been a top, tabletop event.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Sane MPs should now REJECT the deal, simply because it will throw the Tory party into the hands of the hard right.

How? Even if an ERG member gets put to the membership and they win they aren't getting a hard right Brexit through parliament.
    So what? We’d have a hard right nutter as PM.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

[Extremely rude post deleted]
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793

No longer a Group, never did any Research, so rather ironically, European is the only accurate bit of their name.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

So what? We’d have a hard right nutter as PM.
    What, Corbyn?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

Except - the Wizard of Oz did give everyone except Dorothy what they wanted - by showing they had had it all the time...
    More strength to my analogy!
  • Options

It’s all very funny.

Any more pathetic than May saying 100+ times that we would leave on Friday and then asking for an extension?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Sounds like they need to enlist the help of 1960s Spartan Greek acting legend Notis Peryalis, who I once saw in an adaptation of Electra, and looks uncannily like Citizen Smith or Che Guevara here, for some reason :

http://www.altcine.com/person.php?id=7253

• Options
    Anyway I have been having some medical issues recently but after my final tests today I am in the clear and just carry on with a disciplined diet (diabetes) and existing medication

My wife and I are so grateful for all our blessings and our close family and grand children

And DUP will not support the deal

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    I see Rees-Mogg is roasting Nick Boles in the Commons for going to Winchester rather than Eton. Can I retroactively add this to the list of reasons to hate the Tories that I came up with the other day?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Well , that changes things back again.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Lmao ! DUP said no just as Bozo said yes and will now be seen as a traitor by some in the Tory Membership nutjobs .
  • Options

Anyway I have been having some medical issues recently but after my final tests today I am in the clear and just carry on with a disciplined diet (diabetes) and existing medication

My wife and I are so grateful for all our blessings and our close family and grand children

And DUP will not support the deal

That's good news, Big G, pleased for you.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

Is that another Kafka homage I don't get?
    A Moor belonging to Chad
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

I see Rees-Mogg is roasting Nick Boles in the Commons for going to Winchester rather than Eton. Can I retroactively add this to the list of reasons to hate the Tories that I came up with the other day?

You may certainly add it to the reasons why he’s a prize pill.

• Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

Although wouldn’t that be repetitive

I believe “wizard” is a distortion of the Irish Gaelic Ard-Wiz (the senior advisor to the High King, the Ard-Righ)*

So really they are saying High High Irish Wise One.

* the Cymric equivalent is The Merlin (or chief bard) who advised the High King (the “Pendragon” or “chief standard”)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I am lost.

Although wouldn’t that be repetitive

I believe “wizard” is a distortion of the Irish Gaelic Ard-Wiz (the senior advisor to the High King, the Ard-Righ)*

So really they are saying High High Irish Wise One.

* the Cymric equivalent is The Merlin (or chief bard) who advised the High King (the “Pendragon” or “chief standard”)
    So is it related to the Arabic, wazir, or adviser, minister?
This discussion has been closed.