Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting opinion moves sharply against TMay’s chances of gettin

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    AndyJS said:
    Good lord, is that a genuine Ian Dunt tweet? Without a single swear word?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Interesting line from the PM:

Voting for an extension does not solve the problems the government faces. The EU will want to know if the UK wants to revoke article 50 or if it wants a referendum. Those are choices the house must now face.

Is that a hint that the government will offer the House those two options? She's right on the substantive point, of course.

Wasn't there a suggestion a few months ago of doing votes on various combinations of deal vs. remain, deal vs. referendum etc. to test the mood of the house?
  • Options

May in full Headteacher mode now.

As the husband of a headteacher I demand you withdraw that slur.

If May were a headteacher, her school would be in special measures and would be forcibly taken over by an academy chain. You know, a large organisation that groups together several individual institutions within one overarching management, on occasion criticised for being remote and unresponsive, but it does at least bail out the institutions and stop them going embarrassingly tits-up.

Nope, the parallels escape me.
    Full disclosure: I'm a school leader.

It did put me in mind of the speech to staff on an INSET day in September following a poor set of Key Stage 4 outcomes, in the year a full OFSTED inspection is expected.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

This is completely delusional.

Yes completely. Putting forth a rejected deal without changes was completely delusional.
    I think we just have to give up and accept that we are not leaving. This displacement activity is tiresome.
    What do you think that does to the tory party?

We're done as a political force. The ERG have destroyed our party today. It's coming up to "cancel the direct debit" time for me.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Voting for an extension does not solve the problems the government faces. The EU will want to know if the UK wants to revoke article 50 or if it wants a referendum. Those are choices the house must now face.

Is that a hint that the government will offer the House those two options? She's right on the substantive point, of course.

The Kyle amendment is perfect for her. She should have gone for that.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    "EU doesn't know what it could do" - it could compromise on the backstop! If we go no deal there is no backstop.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960

A free vote on the Tory side means 'no deal' is going to get rejected by some humongous margin. The key thing then will be the amendments on the extension, which I expect will include various possible durations, but the EU are now in control of the process.

Again the No Deal vote is utterly meaningless. The only vote that natters at this point is the extension time. And once we get to the end of that if we do not pass a deal or extend again then we will leave without a deal no matter how many times Parliament votes against it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012

May mentioned a referendum just now. Corbyn did not.

Indeed, May could finally drive a stake through the ERG with a Remain v Deal referendum which MPs May well now vote for
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

What's "a referendum" though? Remain v Leave (whatever that is)? Remain v No Deal? Remain v Deal? Deal v No Deal? All three? What about Norway or Canada?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes completely. Putting forth a rejected deal without changes was completely delusional.
    I think we just have to give up and accept that we are not leaving. This displacement activity is tiresome.

Like thousands of others I really don't care if it falls into the dustbin of history. Along with Ozymandias.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267

So how many Cabinet ministers on each side of the no deal vote?

I'm betting that Hunt and Javid will vote in both lobbies, just to make sure they appeal to each wing of the party. (Yes, I know the clerks register that as abstaining.)
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    AndyJS said:
    Yeah I thought he got it all wrong. He should have sympathised with Theresa May.
    He seemed prepped to hammer her for going back on her promise on the votes, and then couldn't readjust.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    ydoethur said:

Pro_Rata said:

In any event, this needs to reach the 'something else' stage by Thursday night. May simply cannot be allowed to go back to the EU with a proposal to discuss the backstop some more during an extension.

Whether an internal Tory coup, a VoNC/GE, a voluntary resignation by May or, heaven forbid, her coming up with an actual plan B, I don't too much care.

How about the 1316 Papal Conclave solution?

I think bricking the door up and allowing them only bread and water until they can make up what passes for their minds has a lot to recommend it at this moment.
    How about bricking the door up and not allowing them the bread and water :wink:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

That's why it's a free vote - a whip on either side would have seen dozens of resignations!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    Fortunately NewsThump have a screening test for new negotiators:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1105211895777292288?s=19
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited March 2019
    Three lines on my whip
    Couldn't stem the bleeding
    80 noes from ERG
    Stopped May's deal succeeding

We're staying in, we're staying in, we're staying
    Britain's staying in...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It's good to know it's not just our lot that are useless.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Who cares? They are finished and completely unfit to govern.
    The priceless irony of Corbyn's election in 2015 was that it came about because Labour members were convinced they couldn't win and so fancied ideological purity for a bit.

If they had compromised and gone for centrism, they'd be back in power by now. As it is we have a useless government and a useless and vile opposition.
    That last sentence sums it up.

• Options
    edited March 2019

HYUFD said:

Sigh. No it really isn't. What will be surrender is ending up staying in the EU because the headbangers were unwilling to compromise on anything but the purists of Brexits.

The deal without a backstop still wouldn't have been the purist of the Brexits. There were a number of other objections to the deal such as committing to spending billions without any trade agreement sorted first. However Brexiteers were willing to compromise on all their other objections so long as just one objection was resolved. The EU refused to compromise on anything.
    Sorry but bricking up the English Channel would not have been enough for some in the ERG, if they tend up with the revocation of Article 50 and no Brexit at all it will be no more than they deserve
    Sorry but that's ludicrous hyperbole. There was a vote on backing the deal if the backstop was dealt with and there were only 8 Tory headbanger MPs who opposed that. They were:

Heidi Allen, Guto Bebb, Ken Clarke, Dominic Grieve, Phillip Lee, Anne Marie Morris, Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston

Absolutely all of those are extremists but the only extremist on that list from the ERG is I believe Anne Marie Morris.
    The backstop was effectively dealt with yesterday but the fanatics still would not compromise, now they will have to find out the hard way, if they will not compromise nor will Remainers
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

AndyJS said:
    Yeah I thought he got it all wrong. He should have sympathised with Theresa May.
    He seemed prepped to hammer her for going back on her promise on the votes, and then couldn't readjust.
    He just isn't very bright. As I have said before, the most useless leader of the opposition since the Marquis of Granby.
  • Options

Three lines on my whip
    80 noes from ERG

Britain's staying in...

I doubt Britain is going to be a happy member of the EU.
  • Options
    We now know who in the ERG were serious about Brexit and for whom it was all about posturing.
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352
    rkrkrk said:

AndyJS said:
    If Corbyn backs away from referendum now he is toast
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MikeL said:

Did May say which way she will vote tomorrow?

I think she implied she will vote against leaving without a deal.

She should abstain
  • Options
    Would the ERG and other no dealers would be well advised to abstain tomorrow to delegitimise the result?
  • Options

A free vote on the Tory side means 'no deal' is going to get rejected by some humongous margin. The key thing then will be the amendments on the extension, which I expect will include various possible durations, but the EU are now in control of the process.

Again the No Deal vote is utterly meaningless. The only vote that natters at this point is the extension time. And once we get to the end of that if we do not pass a deal or extend again then we will leave without a deal no matter how many times Parliament votes against it.
    Surely it's incredibly meaningful if it passes, as it then becomes government policy to go down that route?

It's unlikely to, of course, with no more than 150-200 in favour of it - in which case it's a completely meaningless outcome.
  • Options
    Plaid says TM has offered deal, referendum or revoke when Corbyn witters on about his unicorn deal ignoring a referendum
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    I was wrong. I thought ERG would recognise last chance saloon when in one. I don’t understand.

The brexit on the table from May and Eu was a hard brexit, not a soft brexit. Brexiteers pushed it all the way to wring out every ounce of hard brexit. But then they didn’t cash in. They didn’t take the lolly. I don’t understand it. I really don’t understand how the ERG could take it all the way to get hardest brexit they are ever going to get, and not bank it. The moment to switch from poker face to walking out with the pot was there, and they didn’t take it. They are now alone at the table with no money on it. I don’t understand them.

In this years brexit ref it’s 20 million remain, 14 million or less for leave, . It’s a long way back for brexiteers from this moment. tell me I’m wrong. If science is true and unique golden brexit generation is dying off, There may never be a way back for brexit.

Brexit was hard won. It was there on the table for them to walk off with and they didn’t take it. I don’t understand.
  • Options

Nope the Commons will vote for an extension and ultimately a Remain v Deal referendum over No Deal that is what tomorrow's vote proves, Brexit will be on life support by this time tomorrow night
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

First time May has suggested revoking as a possibility.

Congratulations, ERG.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

AndyJS said:
    If Corbyn backs away from referendum now he is toast
    So some good would come of this?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Sandpit said:

That's why it's a free vote - a whip on either side would have seen dozens of resignations!
    A free vote on the most important issue facing the country today is the ultimate abdication of responsibility on the part of the Tories. It becomes much harder to see how they can survive.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

First sensible thing that she has said in months, possibly longer.

Is @dots available for his insights?

Edit: I see he is! credit to him/her/preferred personal pronoun.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

The EU have been in control of the process since May took over.
    The EU is stable and backed by 27 countries, the UK government has been totally chaotic throughout. Of course the EU have been in control from the start.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Would the ERG and other no dealers would be well advised to abstain tomorrow to delegitimise the result?

Irrelevant how can you deligitimise at least 400 MPs voting against No Deal?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

A free vote on the most important issue facing the country today is the ultimate abdication of responsibility on the part of the Tories. It becomes much harder to see how they can survive.
    Surely such a vote shouldn't be whipped. If it's so important people should vote on what they think is right, not what the whip tells them is right.
  • Options

Plaid says TM has offered deal, referendum or revoke when Corbyn witters on about his unicorn deal ignoring a referendum

Some achievement if Corbyn rains on remainers who then actually support May instead.....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Like thousands of others I really don't care if it falls into the dustbin of history. Along with Ozymandias.
    Look upon my clusterfuck, ye voters, and despair.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil tells Mogg 'Will historians look back on tonight as the night you lost Brexit'
  • Options
    Can the ERG etc filibusters removing no deal or changing the date in Brexit legislation? Genuine question. They will need to talk it out for about a week.
  • Options

I am genuinely stunned. The ERG are morons. Utter morons.

Quite a few of us have been pointing that out for quite a few weeks.

I can imagine it might be hard for a leftie to realise how unfit for purpose the Conservatives are just as it might be hard for a rightie to understand how unfit for purpose Labour are.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,123
    RobD said:

Three lines on my whip
    80 noes from ERG

Britain's staying in...

I doubt Britain is going to be a happy member of the EU.
    Plus ça change.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sigh. No it really isn't. What will be surrender is ending up staying in the EU because the headbangers were unwilling to compromise on anything but the purists of Brexits.

The deal without a backstop still wouldn't have been the purist of the Brexits. There were a number of other objections to the deal such as committing to spending billions without any trade agreement sorted first. However Brexiteers were willing to compromise on all their other objections so long as just one objection was resolved. The EU refused to compromise on anything.
    Sorry but bricking up the English Channel would not have been enough for some in the ERG, if they tend up with the revocation of Article 50 and no Brexit at all it will be no more than they deserve
    Sorry but that's ludicrous hyperbole. There was a vote on backing the deal if the backstop was dealt with and there were only 8 Tory headbanger MPs who opposed that. They were:

Heidi Allen, Guto Bebb, Ken Clarke, Dominic Grieve, Phillip Lee, Anne Marie Morris, Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston

Absolutely all of those are extremists but the only extremist on that list from the ERG is I believe Anne Marie Morris.
    The backstop was effectively dealt with yesterday but the fanatics still would not compromise, now they will have to find out the hard way, if they will not compromise nor will Remainers
    Not an iota of change to the backstop was changed.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    dots said:

Brexit was hard won. It was there on the table for them to walk off with and they didn’t take it. I don’t understand.

Most of them are fucking idiots.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Can the ERG etc filibusters removing no deal or changing the date in Brexit legislation? Genuine question. They will need to talk it out for about a week.

No, as May has granted the vote
  • Options
    only a short extension possible says Elmar someone from EU
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The ERG would not be well advised in any circumstances.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

First time May has suggested revoking as a possibility.

Congratulations, ERG.
    Eh? She's suggested No Brexit as a possibility for months?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

We now know who in the ERG were serious about Brexit and for whom it was all about posturing.

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1105554660818120704
  • Options
    Elmar Brok just said no extension beyond EU elections and TM should revoke

EU are kings now
  • Options

Some achievement if Corbyn rains on remainers who then actually support May instead.....
    On the night when the government can't pass their key policy and are in tatters, the Remain Twitter Media are all gunning for Corbyn! He really does have a good knack of annoying everyone.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Adjacent constituencies - the heartland of Blue Labour.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Did you miss the Attorney General's statement this morning? The backstop was not dealt with yesterday.

The EU didn't compromise on the backstop, if they won't then why should we?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Scott_P said:

Nadine Dorries was not a surprise.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Yvette Cooper and Pete Wishart (SNP) amongst others trying to goad Leadsom into promising that there will be a govt bill to rule out no deal if there's a no-no-deal vote. Leadsom playing everything with a very dead bat.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

What if the Leavers like Leadsom resigned from the cabinet In a week or two creating a crisis in the governments mechanics? Hard to schedule legislation in time if the government is not functioning.

Mogg looks like he has a plan. I wonder what it is.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    HYUFD said:

Andrew Neil tells Mogg 'Will historians look back on tonight as the night you lost Brexit'

Seems like Mogg realised this already, been trying to row back. His merry band of nutters weren't for turning though.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps not, but the fact that it would be impossible to permanently trap the UK in it against its will was very clearly demonstrated. They have quite possibly thrown away Brexit on a legal irrelevance.
  • Options
    Good grief, Richard Burgon is as thick as mince, isn't he?
  • Options
    Tusk says - not anything more we can do

Will consider a request to extend - but want a plan
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Did Philip Davies's bit of rough vote against ?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,371

Yep.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,371

Brexit is over as remainers takeover

I suspect the HoC will vote for a technical exit (stay in customs union and single market) or a 2nd referendum, neither of which the current administration will be able to enact.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255

Yep.
    Never, in the history of politics, can there have been a better example of 'the best being the enemy of the good'.

Quite incredible.

Quite predictable.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps not, but the fact that it would be impossible to permanently trap the UK in it against its will was very clearly demonstrated. They have quite possibly thrown away Brexit on a legal irrelevance.
    No it wasn't. The final paragraph showed that was entirely possible.
  • Options
    No need to worry about needing an IDP for my Easter holiday in Germany then.
  • Options

I suspect the HoC will vote for a technical exit (stay in customs union and single market) or a 2nd referendum, neither of which the current administration will be able to enact.
    What do you think happens then?
  • Options

With the EU seemingly clear no extension beyond May.
  • Options

Yep.
    Never, in the history of politics, can there have been a better example of 'the best being the enemy of the good'.

Quite incredible.

Quite predictable.
    I don't think anyone who voted against this deal considered the backstop or the deal as a whole to be good.
  • Options
    So can May call a GE and then deselect every Conservative who voted against ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Which part are you visiting?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Did you miss the Attorney General's statement this morning? The backstop was not dealt with yesterday.

Wrong, even Cox had said the EU 'had reduced the risk the UK would be trapped in the backstop.'

Rejection of the Deal makes a strong possibility the complete cancellation of Brexit
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

What if the Leavers like Leadsom resigned from the cabinet In a week or two creating a crisis in the governments mechanics? Hard to schedule legislation in time if the government is not functioning.

If she resigned she'd be replaced within 24 hours.
  • Options
    If the Commons has a whopping majority against leaving with no deal, the Govt says well there's no better deal out there then presumably the logical next step of the Govt is to ask for an extension in order to either have another referendum and/or to put a vote to the commons for revocation of article 50 asap?

The options TMay laid out after losing tonight only lead one way? I don't see Brexit happening now.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

If a change in date needs to pass the Lords there is potential for a filibuster there, I think.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Who cares what Leadsom does, over half the Cabinet would resign without a No Deal vote.

The only plan Mogg seems to be succeeding in bringing closer is getting Brexit cancelled
  • Options

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

If she resigned she'd be replaced within 24 hours.
    Timed well 24hrs might be enough.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Time for a GE.
  • Options

Elmar Brok just said no extension beyond EU elections and TM should revoke

EU are kings now

As predicted.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong, even Cox had said the EU 'had reduced the risk the UK would be trapped in the backstop.'

Rejection of the Deal makes a strong possibility the complete cancellation of Brexit
    Wrong, reducing the risk does not eliminate the risk. As Cox made clear, it was in his own words "unchanged".

19. However, the legal risk remains unchanged that if through no such demonstrable failure of either party, but simply because of intractable differences, that situation does arise, the United Kingdom would have, at least while the fundamental circumstances remained the same, no internationally lawful means of exiting the Protocol’s arrangements, save by agreement.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313

What's "a referendum" though? Remain v Leave (whatever that is)? Remain v No Deal? Remain v Deal? Deal v No Deal? All three? What about Norway or Canada?
    Remain vs Deal.
  • Options
    75 tories voted no
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am not so sure Nigel, it was just weaselly words , no change to them having us by the goolies. It was purely a legal; document confirming the other documents and clear by the way Juncker emphasised it, that it was irrelevant change at best.
  • Options

Floater said:

Time for a GE.
    err - when and what does that gain us?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Lower Saxony , staying in Hamelin. Will visit Munster for Tank Museum and if possible get to Mohne Dam
  • Options
    The last two weeks were well worth it:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1105556461290225665
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Mogg's got nothing.

He's a posturer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Who cares what Leadsom does, over half the Cabinet would resign without a No Deal vote.

The only plan Mogg seems to be succeeding in bringing closer is getting Brexit cancelled
    To stop no deal the government has to pass legislation. That is hard to do against the clock if the government is not functioning. Could the governments attempt to amend the leaving date be disrupted by guerilla tactics by Leavers in the govt or the backbenches?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

If the Commons has a whopping majority against leaving with no deal, the Govt says well there's no better deal out there then presumably the logical next step of the Govt is to ask for an extension in order to either have another referendum and/or to put a vote to the commons for revocation of article 50 asap?

The options TMay laid out after losing tonight only lead one way? I don't see Brexit happening now.

No its over and the anti-democrats have won. May will be directed to revoke Article 50 within the next few days.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,317

HYUFD said:

Heidi and Sarah are now TIG
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Lower Saxony , staying in Hamelin.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Support a vote of no confidence in the Government? If they brought down May without an extension then it would be a No Deal Brexit.
  • Options

The last two weeks were well worth it:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1105556461290225665

3 joined the Tiggers though, so still voted against.

Presumably a stronger Labour vote against too.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

No its over and the anti-democrats have won. May will be directed to revoke Article 50 within the next few days.
    Better than this deal.

If so we get a new PM and then they can invoked A50 again and this time plan all along for No Deal if we can't get an acceptable one, as this PM should have done from the start.
This discussion has been closed.