Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the Betfair exchange LAB’s chances of winning most seats ne

123457»

Comments

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

The usual furinner hating crackpot areas.
    What like pretty much all of England apart from London?

Your complacency is astounding.
    Did you actually look at the map that was posted?

Clearly you did not.
    I was looking at the marked contrast between England and Scotland. What straw are you grasping at?
    Erm, look at the map again. Besides the hardcore furriner hating places on the east coast and one or two other clusters, most constituencies struggle to reach 650 signatories. The average electorate in UK constituencies is something around 70,000.
    The total number of signatures was 351,141 - very high by the standards of petitions on the Parliament website. That's an average of 540 per constituency. Which means that most constituencies in England were pretty close to the average.
    When lefty petitions reach several millions of signatories, the PB Tories inform us that they don't matter.
    They don't matter but which petitions on the Parliament website are you referring to with millions of signatures? I can't see any there currently with millions.

In fact unless I'm mistaken it currently appears like that petition has the second highest amount of signatures of all active petitions on the Parliament site. Beaten only by ban all ISIS members from returning to the UK.

Not that it matters.
    There have been several in the past with over a million, this is trivially googleable.

Not that it matters.
    I've just Googled it and the answer appears to be 3. (Not sure that counts as several....)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    In my conference-going days one organisation used to use the Blunsdon House at Swindon. Always struck me as very good of its type.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    New thread!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,837
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Because of the gang of 7 it's safe to say the Honda news will be a minor story tonight. For those FBPE supporters linking it to Brexit it seems Chuka has scored a bit of an own goal by crowding out the press coverage.

PS I think you'll lose your bet if you accept it.

Honda is now the most read news story on the BBC website. The gang of 7 are second.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
    I've got Gang of 7 as first and it's a much older news story.
    Scroll down to Most Read: Honda is first, Gang of 7 second.
    Not on the BBC website I'm looking at. Also 5 years after the vote is when job losses potentially start?
    Do you really think that is how Swindon car workers will view their redundancies? As being six years after the Brexit vote, rather than two years from NOW?

That's special thinking.
    I'll take your comments with a pinch of salt because you're so neurotic I never know if you're supporting Leave or Remain, Labour or the Tories on any given day. I suppose whatever scare story you read in the Mail knocks any conviction you have in your beliefs. The idea that you think polls will now switch severely now towards Remain show you don't understand why people voted Leave or you don't understand the rough population of Swindon.
    I know why people voted to Leave - I was one of them (and incidentally, I voted in the hope that we would stay in the Single Market, in EFTA, at least for a decade, as we adjusted)....
    We are with some monotony told that such an outcome would not 'respect' the vote.
    I know, Fucking Theresa Fucking May with her fucking stupid red lines
    I can remember one or two other enthusiasts for 'diamond hard Brexit' on occasion...
    :wink:
  • Options

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1097544489969901570

Its Buzzfeed...caveat emptor...right on things about as often as Peston and Hodges.

I think we will see shortly enough. A smart strategy would be to have more join in the coming days, drip drip, citing disgraceful abuse from the cult, lack of action on Brexit etc etc etc.

If 7 is it, "nothing has changed" re Project Jessiah.
    It doesn't seem exactly astonishing news that there have been massive debates and disagreements on tactics over this. Nobody really knows how to go about it.

Mistake to underestimate Powell though.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:
    I remember about five years ago we were constantly being told that significant numbers of Tory MPs were on the cusp of defecting to UKIP, and in the end only two did, Carswell and the TPD.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,364

I've been to Swindon quite often. I wouldn't call it a dump but it is close to the dictionary definition of "unremarkable".

Hmm, or is it a little gem and you are one of those devious types who has discovered it and now wants to keep it to themselves?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,016

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Many Brexiteers will probably argue that we ought to have a home-grown car industry, rather than relying on decisions taken by foreign businesses. (Not my opinion, just trying to think like they do).

Not so much home grown but home developed, that is developed here whatever nationality the ultimate owners have. We have some excellent expertise in car manufacturing in the UK, mainly at the top end of motorsport. Our government and education institutions need to be more focused on what these manufacturers want in terms of skills and development so that their next cars are developed and then improved here. If we achieve this we are more likely to retain the metal bashing bits.

We are at a critical point where much of existing manufacture for cars is not going to be renewed on anything like the same basis. Diesels are on their way out. We have both a threat and an opportunity in the clean slates that electric vehicles are going to introduce.
    Good point about motorsport too. There's close to 10k people just working for the F1 teams in the UK, mostly in highly skilled jobs.

Don't be misled my the German national anthem playing for Mercedes when they win a race, the car is 100% British and made by over 1,500 people at Brackley and Brixworth.
    Honda have said F1 part of the business is staying in the UK.
    Gee its almost as if Honda has made its decisions based on what is and isn't working for their company and not due to Brexit.
    There is a possibility that the latter may have been a factor in the former.
  • Options

That just reminded me that Chuka Umunna got the train to Swindon to record a video launching his Labour leadership campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2015/may/12/chuka-umunna-labour-leadership-swindon-video

That was odd how he pulled out, wasn't it?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    I remember about five years ago we were constantly being told that significant numbers of Tory MPs were on the cusp of defecting to UKIP, and in the end only two did, Carswell and the TPD.
    Why bother? Just infiltrate an established party. Under FPTP it has provided the UK governing party for ~60 of the past 100 years.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,016

So getting an economic trade deal with the USA and avoiding pending US tariffs on EU exports would help the Civic more than a deal with the EU

That is a reasonable argument. It's just that I can't see you getting it done in the next 941 hours.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

You, sir, have a really odd taste in buckets.

I accept that. But I like the idea of seeing Swindon before I die. Have to do it in that order after all.

Unless ... no that would just too wonderful.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881

In my conference-going days one organisation used to use the Blunsdon House at Swindon. Always struck me as very good of its type.

Stanton House is the one for the Honda execs. Reputedly the best Japanese food in Britain.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    Anyone got the 28/1 on United to beat Chelsea 3-1?.

Started well....
This discussion has been closed.