Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the Betfair exchange LAB’s chances of winning most seats ne

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    They are a serious political party who can spell "too".....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    The bad news from Honda has definitely overshadowed the Labour 7.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Brom said:

OllyT said:

Brom said:

_Anazina_ said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

nunuone said:

SeanT said:

The Honda news is a potential game-changer. And I speak as a Leaver.

It has been timed with perfection. Deliberately?

We've seen this before. A company announcing they are pulling out of Brexit Britain only to see a few days later the story is way overblown. In a few days time we will realise this news has also been overblown.
    But it keeps happening. Remainers don't have to keep explaining away big inward investment stories.
    Yet employment levels keep surging ever upwards.
    And, will probably further show a further rise tomorrow, but the flip side of my comment to Sean T is that one business shedding 3,500 jobs will generate far more publicity than lots of businesses generating more jobs in aggregate.

Sean, it is time for you and other intelligent Leavers to reluctantly abandon your support for this project. It has been delivered unbelievably badly, and the optics going into Brexit day are terrible. Give it up.
    You are missing the point.

The Brexit crowd gained traction over the years by blaming all sorts of things on the EU regardless of whether it was true or not.

Even if Honda or Nissan has nothing to do with Brexit you are about to reap what you sowed. People are going to believe it was because of Brexit and that's what really matters.
    People are going to believe it or just ardent Europhiles? Bit of a difference. It'll take more than job losses in Swindon in 6 years to change the minds of 17 million people. Project Fear will continue to make the same mistakes because they think people can be easily scared into changing their minds and that everything revolves around economic news. Well if it did then as a nation we'd be rejoicing at low inflation and low unemployment but clearly we are not.
    It's a bad news story for Brexit, because it's undeniably bad news. It won't hurt Swindon as much as the Vauxhall closure hurt Luton in the past, but it will certainly hurt. But, what distinguishes it from the stories of job losses in the eighties is that everyone knew someone who was losing their job, or at risk of it, back then.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827

Mr. Woolie, I'd vote Vader.

Zero percent tolerance for rebel scum. And he got the Death Star built on time.

Piss poor job he made of it, though.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

The usual furinner hating crackpot areas.
    What like pretty much all of England apart from London?

Your complacency is astounding.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Because of the gang of 7 it's safe to say the Honda news will be a minor story tonight. For those FBPE supporters linking it to Brexit it seems Chuka has scored a bit of an own goal by crowding out the press coverage.

PS I think you'll lose your bet if you accept it.

Honda is now the most read news story on the BBC website. The gang of 7 are second.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
    I've got Gang of 7 as first and it's a much older news story.
    Scroll down to Most Read: Honda is first, Gang of 7 second.
    Not on the BBC website I'm looking at. Also 5 years after the vote is when job losses potentially start?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2019
    There is a "very strong case" for abolishing jail terms of less than six months, the justice secretary has said.

David Gauke said short sentences were not working for many inmates and courts in England and Wales should focus more on rehabilitation in the community.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47280702

Regardless of the rights / wrong, can the Tories afford to lose their core demographic of voters at the moment. Not sure oldies will like the sound of some scumbag burglar / mugger being told no jail for you.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    At least bloody Begum is knocked off the top of the news now.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Sky News saying Honda is also going to close the Turkish Factory.

So seems to be a big change in global strategy for Honda.
  • Options
    Brom said:

OllyT said:

Brom said:

_Anazina_ said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

nunuone said:

SeanT said:

The Honda news is a potential game-changer. And I speak as a Leaver.

It has been timed with perfection. Deliberately?

We've seen this before. A company announcing they are pulling out of Brexit Britain only to see a few days later the story is way overblown. In a few days time we will realise this news has also been overblown.
    But it keeps happening. Remainers don't have to keep explaining away big inward investment stories.
    Yet employment levels keep surging ever upwards.
    And, will probably further show a further rise tomorrow, but the flip side of my comment to Sean T is that one business shedding 3,500 jobs will generate far more publicity than lots of businesses generating more jobs in aggregate.

It could take another 10,000 jobs with it.

Sean, it is time for you and other intelligent Leavers to reluctantly abandon your support for this project. It has been delivered unbelievably badly, and the optics going into Brexit day are terrible. Give it up.
    I love the way the FBPE crowd are ignoring the fact the Honda CEO says it's nothing to do with Brexit, the fact no jobs are moving to the EU and the fact even after the vote they decided to keep their EU HQ in the UK. Unfortunately car manufacturing is an industry in severe decline, it's just a shame that those desperate for project fear to come true choose to grasp at any straw possible.

The Brexit crowd gained traction over the years by blaming all sorts of things on the EU regardless of whether it was true or not.

Even if Honda or Nissan has nothing to do with Brexit you are about to reap what you sowed. People are going to believe it was because of Brexit and that's what really matters.
    People are going to believe it or just ardent Europhiles? Bit of a difference. It'll take more than job losses in Swindon in 6 years to change the minds of 17 million people. Project Fear will continue to make the same mistakes because they think people can be easily scared into changing their minds and that everything revolves around economic news. Well if it did then as a nation we'd be rejoicing at low inflation and low unemployment but clearly we are not.
    it will certainly make a difference here:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36616088
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Because of the gang of 7 it's safe to say the Honda news will be a minor story tonight. For those FBPE supporters linking it to Brexit it seems Chuka has scored a bit of an own goal by crowding out the press coverage.

Do you want a sportsman's bet on that? I think Honda will be one of the top three stories on the BBC news at 6 AND at 10.

If you disagree, then we could have a little wager, say £5, the loser to pay the money to the winner's favourite charity. Deal?
    I'll have a wager £5 that the Labour split will be the main story and run for 5-10 minutes at the start of both the BBC and ITV News. Honda closing in 2022 just isn't on the same public interest level.
    No bet. Tut tut. You first claimed that Honda would be a "minor" story. If it is in the top three stories, the headlines announced at the start of the news, then it is definitely not a "minor" story.

So you are scared to make a wager on your own claim.
    But you said this story would affect millions of voters and radically alter opinion polls despite not even being the main news story? Not sure how that works.
    The two stories reinforce each other.
    And they will be the top two stories on the BBC - as they are on the from page of the newspaper websites.

Understand now ?
    A car plant in Swindon closing reinforces anti semitism in the Labour party? Some stretch Nige.
  • Options

So when there was that tweet about all European production back to Japan, they mean UK and Turkey.
  • Options
    Mr. B, it was Palpatine's 'elite' legion that lost control of the shield generator to a gang of ewoks.

On news: the Labour split is a far bigger story than the Honda one.

It's not every decade that a major party splits. I can't remember the last time it happened over a question of racism and threats.

As an aside, this tweet is quite interesting.
    https://twitter.com/_BenWright_/status/1097516084687704064
  • Options

That doesn't fit in with the FBPE spin though. I'm sure it'll be because Turkey didn't join the EU that their plan will shut or some rubbish.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited February 2019

There is a "very strong case" for abolishing jail terms of less than six months, the justice secretary has said.

Regardless of the rights / wrong, can the Tories afford to lose their core demographic of voters at the moment. Not sure oldies will like the sound of some scumbag burglar / mugger being told no jail for you.

Also leads to the situation where financial crimes end up with lots of 6 month sentences - they pay a fine, and basically get off scot-free. See all the footballers in Spain, all given "prison sentences" just under the 2 year threshold.

• Options

David Gauke said short sentences were not working for many inmates and courts in England and Wales should focus more on rehabilitation in the community.

Another double edged sword.

If we drop short sentences for burglars/muggers in order to give rehabilitation a go first then that can make sense. But does that mean if rehabilitation doesn't work that we will go with longer jail sentences instead?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

They've been doing it for years, why stop now?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Honda is now the most read news story on the BBC website. The gang of 7 are second.

Not on the BBC website I'm looking at. Also 5 years after the vote is when job losses potentially start?
    Here, look:

Most read
    Honda set to close Swindon car plant
    Seven MPs leave Labour in Corbyn protest
    'I didn't want to be IS poster girl'
    Alesha trial told of DNA Google search
    Are the super-rich ruining Burning Man?
    Flybmi 'won't be the last' airline failure
    Bank customer told 'vegans should be punched'
    Israel summit falls apart in 'racism' row
    Police officers told to 'shoot 50 Cent'
    Pakistan flag tops toilet paper searches

Either I can type at warp speed 9, or I have just cut and pasted that from the BBC site.
    Most Read
    Seven MPs leave Labour Party in protest at Jeremy Corbyn's leadership
    Shamima Begum: 'I didn't want to be IS poster girl'
    Holocaust: Israel summit scrapped in 'racism' row with Poland
    Alesha MacPhail murder trial: Jury told of DNA Google search
    Pulwama attack: Google searches 'hijacked' to link Pakistan flag to toilet paper
    Flybmi won't be the last airline failure, say analysts
    50 Cent: Claims police told to 'shoot' rapper investigated
    NatWest worker told customer 'vegans should be punched'
  • Options
    Brom said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Do you want a sportsman's bet on that? I think Honda will be one of the top three stories on the BBC news at 6 AND at 10.

If you disagree, then we could have a little wager, say £5, the loser to pay the money to the winner's favourite charity. Deal?
    I'll have a wager £5 that the Labour split will be the main story and run for 5-10 minutes at the start of both the BBC and ITV News. Honda closing in 2022 just isn't on the same public interest level.
    No bet. Tut tut. You first claimed that Honda would be a "minor" story. If it is in the top three stories, the headlines announced at the start of the news, then it is definitely not a "minor" story.

But you said this story would affect millions of voters and radically alter opinion polls despite not even being the main news story? Not sure how that works.
    And they will be the top two stories on the BBC - as they are on the from page of the newspaper websites.

Understand now ?
    A car plant in Swindon closing reinforces anti semitism in the Labour party? Some stretch Nige.
    The Tiggers aren't all about opposing anti-semitism, or else I think my local MP John Mann might have joined - they're a remainer group too.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    The official Honda announcement is apparently coming tomorrow. So very plausible that Gang of 7 leads today (with Honda second), "Honda confirms 3,500 job losses" leads tomorrow.

Although who knows what may happen in the next 24 hours.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Mr. Woolie, I'd vote Vader.

Zero percent tolerance for rebel scum. And he got the Death Star built on time.

Lol quite. All those drugs coming in from Alderaan had to be stopped somehow
  • Options

If we drop short sentences for burglars/muggers in order to give rehabilitation a go first then that can make sense. But does that mean if rehabilitation doesn't work that we will go with longer jail sentences instead?
    I think that a lot of judges will go for longer sentences. Even to get a six month sentence, you're likely to be a repeat offender.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    Labour sources think crunch point for several other Labour MPs considering resigning the whip will be whether or not Corbyn accepts Peter Kyle and Phil Wilson amendment on Feb 27 calling for public vote on May’s deal, modelled on Good Friday Agreement referendum
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    SeanT said:

Hah. Fair enough. We must genuinely be looking at two different BBC news pages.

Are you accessing this from the UK? Or elsewhere? I get different orderings of news articles depending on how my VPN routes. From time to time, I get confused by the fact one of the main headlines on the BBC news website will be some scandal I have never heard about from elsewhere in the world.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Understand now ?
    Clueless, Bro'.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

Parody accounts up and running already.
    Damn it got me. And Layla Moran.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Do you really think that is how Swindon car workers will view their redundancies? As being six years after the Brexit vote, rather than two years from NOW?

That's special thinking.
    I'll take your comments with a pinch of salt because you're so neurotic I never know if you're supporting Leave or Remain, Labour or the Tories on any given day. I suppose whatever scare story you read in the Mail knocks any conviction you have in your beliefs. The idea that you think polls will now switch severely now towards Remain show you don't understand why people voted Leave or you don't understand the rough population of Swindon.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Do you really think that is how Swindon car workers will view their redundancies? As being six years after the Brexit vote, rather than two years from NOW?

That's special thinking.
    Sean, Sean - this is what we've had to put up with these past few months and years.

Makes you want to bang your head against the wall, right?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think that a lot of judges will go for longer sentences. Even to get a six month sentence, you're likely to be a repeat offender.
    As a friend of mine once told me (and he knew), you have to work really hard to get yourself put in jail these days.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    edited February 2019

It's a fair point though. Even the SDP managed colour back in the day, even if their 'logo' was Times New Roman in a big font.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

_Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

Did you actually look at the map that was posted?

Clearly you did not.
  • Options

Parody accounts up and running already.
    Damn it got me. And Layla Moran.
    I know twitter have the blue tick, but i think a really good improvement would be a little bit like how domain squatting can be challenged. That for high profile organizations / individuals you don't allow handles that could be misinterpreted as the real thing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

That's special thinking.
    Sean, Sean - this is what we've had to put up with these past few months and years.

In fairness Mr Topping, you've given us your apocalyptic version of Brexit for years now and how ghastly Britain is so I'm going to let you have Swindon and enjoy your day in the sun today. :)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Here, look:

Most read

Either I can type at warp speed 9, or I have just cut and pasted that from the BBC site.
    Do you not do screenshots anymore after your porn site incident?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Perhaps the ex car workers can go and pick fruit or take up a role in social care now that EU nationals are being told to get lost !
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Dan Hannan, Sept 2015: "That idea that car manufacturers might disinvest after we leave the EU? It's a - what's the word? - oh yes. Lie."
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    Brom said:

The polls indicate quite a lot have changed their minds already -this just helps push a few more. Remember you only started with 52%
  • Options
    (OT) An interesting piece of polling on the Democratic race:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/18/joe-biden-2020-polling-1173226
    “In a race like this, the methodology stuff really does matter because it’s such an open question,” said Kirby, whose firm recently conducted a national poll of the 2020 Democratic presidential race. Bold Blue’s poll gave respondents an explicit option to say they were undecided — and nearly half, 48 percent, took it.

Biden still led the field, but with only 12 percent support. Sanders was third, with 9 percent, behind Sen. Kamala Harris of California at 11 percent.

Kirby thinks that is a more accurate reflection of the “hard-core” Biden and Sanders support than the 30 or 20 percent, respectively, the two men draw in other polls.
  • Options
    I quite like the grey signature colour for the Tiggers.

My missus works in interiors and tells me that grey is very on-trend and contemporary!
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

That's special thinking.
    I'll take your comments with a pinch of salt because you're so neurotic I never know if you're supporting Leave or Remain, Labour or the Tories on any given day. I suppose whatever scare story you read in the Mail knocks any conviction you have in your beliefs. The idea that you think polls will now switch severely now towards Remain show you don't understand why people voted Leave or you don't understand the rough population of Swindon.
    Considering that you have totally failed to grasp why SeanT and I think this is bad news for the cause all three of us voted for, it is you who don’t understand why other people voted Leave.

I think the news will have a significant impact on how MPs feel, which is more important considering our proximity to the deadline.
  • Options
    Brom said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

That's special thinking.

In fairness Mr Topping, you've given us your apocalyptic version of Brexit for years now and how ghastly Britain is so I'm going to let you have Swindon and enjoy your day in the sun today. :)
    You've had no apocalyptic version of Brexit from me. My view has always been that it will be a diminution of our current situation, analogous to a few pence more on beer and fags. We will all be poorer, most likely, but few will notice too much with those noticing most being those who can least afford it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

As a friend of mine once told me (and he knew), you have to work really hard to get yourself put in jail these days.
    Full time job ;-)

I remember a story from a while back, where there was a gang going around robbing rural post offices. The police knew they were basically doing 1 a week. When they finally caught up with them, it was revealed there was 4-5 of them and they didn't usually get away with more than £1-2k as these were really small shops / PO counters.

Well they had to steal the vehicle, case the joint, etc etc etc. They were basically "working" a full week for £200-300 each, hence why they kept doing one each week.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

That's special thinking.
    I know why people voted to Leave - I was one of them (and incidentally, I voted in the hope that we would stay in the Single Market, in EFTA, at least for a decade, as we adjusted).

People didn't vote Leave to see massive job losses. Even though Brexit is not the primary cause of this closure, I am pretty certain that is how it will be sold, and perceived. And I do think some voters will recoil.

We shall see.
    Lol. Your support for soft or hard Brexit has flipped almost as often as your support for Brexit itself.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Brom said:

The idea that you think polls will now switch severely now towards Remain show you don't understand why people voted Leave or you don't understand the rough population of Swindon.

Freudian typo?
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

My missus works in interiors and tells me that grey is very on-trend and contemporary!

Elephant breath is what you're after.
  • Options
    To be fair, the Brexiteers' favourite economist did predict that Brexit would wreak havoc in UK industry ...

https://twitter.com/antoni_UK/status/1097508958976335872
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    I'm hearing rumours that 6 MPs could be about to resign from The Independent Group citing concerns about racism

• Options

It's a fair point though. Even the SDP managed colour back in the day, even if their 'logo' was Times New Roman in a big font.
    Duuude. That was about as far from Times New Roman as you could get. It was American Typewriter Condensed, or something very like it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

That's special thinking.
    I know why people voted to Leave - I was one of them (and incidentally, I voted in the hope that we would stay in the Single Market, in EFTA, at least for a decade, as we adjusted).

People didn't vote Leave to see massive job losses. Even though Brexit is not the primary cause of this closure, I am pretty certain that is how it will be sold, and perceived. And I do think some voters will recoil.

We shall see.
    We shall see indeed, but you're constantly flip-flopping about what flavour of Brexit you want. It's relatively clear that Brexit is not the big issue involving Honda, so I think it's worth arguing that case rather than just assuming the public are gullible and will swallow up the idea that this wouldn't have happened if we'd only voted Remain.
  • Options
    There is no doubt Honda closing Swindon is not Brexit related but the optics are dreadful and it will not help no dealers one bit. Indeed I suspect remain will gather more support as a result of this sad closure
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    An interesting pointer on how the breakaway puts Corbyn in something of a bind on a second referendum vote:

https://www.politico.eu/article/labour-breakaways-brexit-impact-independent-group-second-referendum-no-deal/
    If anything, there is a risk for Umunna and co. that their breakaway will achieve nothing more than a hardening of Labour frontbench resolve not to go for a second referendum. The Labour leadership is already mindful of not alienating the half of the population — and a third of Labour voters — who backed Leave. Being upbraided for that stance by people who have just quit your party may not be very persuasive...

If there is such a hardening of resolve, it will put considerable pressure on MPs for solidly remain constituencies.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    nico67 said:

Perhaps the ex car workers can go and pick fruit or take up a role in social care now that EU nationals are being told to get lost !

Where exactly have EU nationals been told to "get lost"?

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Brom said:

The idea that you think polls will now switch severely now towards Remain show you don't understand why people voted Leave or you don't understand the rough population of Swindon.

Freudian typo?
    You're not wrong, it is a bit of a dump. The concrete shopping street is not somewhere I'd be in a hurry to return to. Proof that not all railway towns are charming throwbacks.
  • Options
    Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

That's special thinking.
    Granted it's not exactly Stow-on-the-Wold, but I think describing the inhabitants as a "rough population" is a bit much. Though I might make an exception for the goons in Brunel House who set GWR train fares.
  • Options

There is no doubt Honda closing Swindon is not Brexit related but the optics are dreadful and it will not help no dealers one bit. Indeed I suspect remain will gather more support as a result of this sad closure

There is a great upheaval underway worldwide in motor manufacturing. The point is that the UK is now a less likely base for new plants.
    Notably absent form this page, for example...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Gigafactory_Europe
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

Clearly you did not.
    I was looking at the marked contrast between England and Scotland. What straw are you grasping at?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

An interesting pointer on how the breakaway puts Corbyn in something of a bind on a second referendum vote:

https://www.politico.eu/article/labour-breakaways-brexit-impact-independent-group-second-referendum-no-deal/
    If anything, there is a risk for Umunna and co. that their breakaway will achieve nothing more than a hardening of Labour frontbench resolve not to go for a second referendum. The Labour leadership is already mindful of not alienating the half of the population — and a third of Labour voters — who backed Leave. Being upbraided for that stance by people who have just quit your party may not be very persuasive...

If there is such a hardening of resolve, it will put considerable pressure on MPs for solidly remain constituencies.

The problem for the breakaway faction is that they are centrists, whereas most Labour voters who favour Remain support Corbyn on everything bar Brexit.
  • Options

I'm hearing rumours that 6 MPs could be about to resign from The Independent Group citing concerns about racism

Bad day for you BJO but you do your best to keep your moral up, fair play
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

That's special thinking.
    I know why people voted to Leave - I was one of them (and incidentally, I voted in the hope that we would stay in the Single Market, in EFTA, at least for a decade, as we adjusted)....
    We are with some monotony told that such an outcome would not 'respect' the vote.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Here, look:

Most read

Do you not do screenshots anymore after your porn site incident?
    I am much more circumspect! As you'd imagine.
    (win 10 only)
    windows key - shift - S
    you can then snip a portion of the screen direct to your clipboard...
  • Options

Duuude. That was about as far from Times New Roman as you could get. It was American Typewriter Condensed, or something very like it.
    I do apologise.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

The problem for the breakaway faction is that they are centrists, whereas most Labour voters who favour Remain support Corbyn on everything bar Brexit.
    Do they really ?
    Most Labour members, perhaps.
  • Options

There is no doubt Honda closing Swindon is not Brexit related ...

Indeed and kudos to you for acknowledging that and not trying to score cheap points.

If you and I and others can see that, then why won't others. People aren't foolish.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    There's no such thing as "single reasons" in business. Every decision is the result of a complex interplay of factors:

- demand picture
    - tariffs
    - likelihood of unfavourable changes in the political climate

etc.

I think it is grossly naive to think this has nothing to do with the risk of No Deal Brexit. And it's grossly naive to think it is all to do with Brexit.

The question is, is it 20% of the reason or 65% of the reason?

(For the record, in aggregate the whole world is seeing auto manufacturing capacity being reduced. And this is exacerbating what we're seeing. But ask yourself, if you were looking at the potential imposition of tariffs between the UK and the EU, the UK dropping out of many existing trading arrangements, a potentially negative UK domestic demand picture, and the possibility of a Corbyn government in the medium term... would you be looking to increase your UK manufacturing exposure, or would you be looking to reduce it? It is no coincidence that perhaps half the negative the news about auto manufacturing in Europe has been in the UK.)
  • Options

Thinks she needs a better PR team...although her lawyer certainly said some interesting things in the past.

Jihadi bride Shamima Begum says Manchester Arena bombing was 'fair retaliation' for military strikes in Syria as she reveals she has named her son Jerah 'after Islamic warlord who massacred infidels'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6716167/Jihadi-bride-east-London-Shamima-Begum-family-lawyer-says-want-baby-son-home.html

But hey - what could possibly go wrong if she came back here and raised that child?

• Options

Indeed and kudos to you for acknowledging that and not trying to score cheap points.

If you and I and others can see that, then why won't others. People aren't foolish.
    As with everything brexit people use news to bend opinion to their own narrative
  • Options

No, but some people want to take others for fools and they have a narrative to push
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Brom said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

Freudian typo?
    You're not wrong, it is a bit of a dump. The concrete shopping street is not somewhere I'd be in a hurry to return to. Proof that not all railway towns are charming throwbacks.
    The highlight of driving around Swindon is trying to negotiate the Magic Roundabout.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Dan Hannan, Sept 2015: "That idea that car manufacturers might disinvest after we leave the EU? It's a - what's the word? - oh yes. Lie."

Still a lie. Profitable car manufacturers are expanding not contracting their lines here.
  • Options

To be fair, the Brexiteers' favourite economist did predict that Brexit would wreak havoc in UK industry ...

It is worth remembering that when we say we (the UK) are a services powerhouse, what we mean is that we have a lot more people employed in selling ourselves imported goods than in other countries.
  • Options

As with everything brexit people use news to bend opinion to their own narrative
    Too true.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Do they really ?
    According to John Curtice, at any rate,
  • Options
    (I would note that despite everything negative I say about the UK government, Mrs Merkel's is worse.)
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    rcs1000 said:

It is worth remembering that when we say we (the UK) are a services powerhouse, what we mean is that we have a lot more people employed in selling ourselves imported goods than in other countries.
    Ouch.

But then a cursory glance at the consumption element of our GDP should make anyone blanche.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

Clearly you did not.
    I was looking at the marked contrast between England and Scotland. What straw are you grasping at?
    Erm, look at the map again. Besides the hardcore furriner hating places on the east coast and one or two other clusters, most constituencies struggle to reach 650 signatories. The average electorate in UK constituencies is something around 70,000.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

_Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

The deep maroon areas are all Tory. The light yellows are all Labour with a few LDs. .The correlation is clear and unsurprising.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If our exports weaken though, then I'd have thought that could potentially fall out in a lower sterling value... which pushes up the price of imports and thus would hit those 'people employed in selling ourselves imported goods' aka services ?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Here, look:

Most read

But you must have typed no 10. Seriously!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Do they really ?
    PBers, and particularly this poster, regularly conflate voters of the two big political parties with members of the two big political parties.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

Clearly you did not.
    Erm, look at the map again. Besides the hardcore furriner hating places on the east coast and one or two other clusters, most constituencies struggle to reach 650 signatories. The average electorate in UK constituencies is something around 70,000.
    The total number of signatures was 351,141 - very high by the standards of petitions on the Parliament website. That's an average of 540 per constituency. Which means that most constituencies in England were pretty close to the average.
  • Options
    Japan refusing to sign the same agreement with UK as with EU, Nissan cancelling production of x trail and closure of Honda. All in the space of a month. Coinicidence or could it be that the Japanese are upset that they were not being listened to.

All in all as an exporter to Japan this does not fill me with hope. The reality is that our trade team is entirely unprepared to operate successfully in Asia. In case of a hard brexit the USA will be along with Canada and Australasia our only friends.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Brexit or not today’s Honda news delivers another blow to the no deal fantasists .

A sector already having problems doesn’t need a no deal to further complicate things .
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1097544489969901570

Its Buzzfeed...caveat emptor...right on things about as often as Peston and Hodges.

I think we will see shortly enough. A smart strategy would be to have more join in the coming days, drip drip, citing disgraceful abuse from the cult, lack of action on Brexit etc etc etc.

If 7 is it, "nothing has changed" re Project Jessiah.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

_Anazina_ said:

Elephant breath is what you're after.
    She likes that one. She was on about another one the other day, drain pipe or some such.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

That's special thinking.
    I know why people voted to Leave - I was one of them (and incidentally, I voted in the hope that we would stay in the Single Market, in EFTA, at least for a decade, as we adjusted)....
    We are with some monotony told that such an outcome would not 'respect' the vote.
    I know, Fucking Theresa Fucking May with her fucking stupid red lines
    I was thinking about that the other day. Remember a few days after the referendum when Boris Johnson wrote an article rowing back on some of the things said in the campaign, which people took as an indication he favoured a soft Brexit. Then Theresa May came in with her "Brexit means Brexit" leadership pitch and sucked all the oxygen out of the room.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Do they really ?
    SDP apparently, not centrist, although possibly they would be Lib.Dems in an ideal world. Liz Kendall appears not to be among them. Maybe she values her career and realises that we need PR before we have realignment.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

That's special thinking.
    It wouldn't have been sufficiently xenophobic and inward-looking, I am reliably informed.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

Clearly you did not.
    The total number of signatures was 351,141 - very high by the standards of petitions on the Parliament website. That's an average of 540 per constituency. Which means that most constituencies in England were pretty close to the average.
    When lefty petitions reach several millions of signatories, the PB Tories inform us that they don't matter.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068

Japan refusing to sign the same agreement with UK as with EU, Nissan cancelling production of x trail and closure of Honda. All in the space of a month. Coinicidence or could it be that the Japanese are upset that they were not being listened to.

All in all as an exporter to Japan this does not fill me with hope. The reality is that our trade team is entirely unprepared to operate successfully in Asia. In case of a hard brexit the USA will be along with Canada and Australasia our only friends.

My son, who is also involved in exporting to East Asia regards the British Trade presence there as worse than useless. If they need consular assistance they get it from Canada. No, don't know how that works.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Brom said:

I'm ashamed to say I have never set foot in Swindon. It's on my bucket list though.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    kinabalu said:

Brom said:

I'm ashamed to say I have never set foot in Swindon. It's on my bucket list though.
    That just reminded me that Chuka Umunna got the train to Swindon to record a video launching his Labour leadership campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2015/may/12/chuka-umunna-labour-leadership-swindon-video
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Brom said:

I've been to Swindon quite often. I wouldn't call it a dump but it is close to the dictionary definition of "unremarkable".
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

Clearly you did not.
    When lefty petitions reach several millions of signatories, the PB Tories inform us that they don't matter.
    They don't matter but which petitions on the Parliament website are you referring to with millions of signatures? I can't see any there currently with millions.

In fact unless I'm mistaken it currently appears like that petition has the second highest amount of signatures of all active petitions on the Parliament site. Beaten only by ban all ISIS members from returning to the UK.

Not that it matters.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

That just reminded me that Chuka Umunna got the train to Swindon to record a video launching his Labour leadership campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2015/may/12/chuka-umunna-labour-leadership-swindon-video
    I doubt he has ever been back....
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

I've been to Swindon quite often. I wouldn't call it a dump but it is close to the dictionary definition of "unremarkable".
    There are however lots of interesting places within easy driving distance.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

Clearly you did not.
    Petitions to overturn the referendum result get dismissed as they never get past 17.4m signatories (or more precisely, because they're irrelevant in the context of the question of "should we leave the EU or not"). The point being made here is that a not insignificant number of people, spread pretty similarly across the country as the Leave vote, are enough in favour of No Deal that they were prepared to sign a petition in favour. Which implies that a decent chunk of the total Leave vote is in favour. Which is scary.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    kinabalu said:

Brom said:

You, sir, have a really odd taste in buckets.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

Clearly you did not.
    They don't matter but which petitions on the Parliament website are you referring to with millions of signatures? I can't see any there currently with millions.

In fact unless I'm mistaken it currently appears like that petition has the second highest amount of signatures of all active petitions on the Parliament site. Beaten only by ban all ISIS members from returning to the UK.

Not that it matters.
    There have been several in the past with over a million, this is trivially googleable.

Not that it matters.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I hear rumours of a new party thread...
This discussion has been closed.