Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the Betfair exchange LAB’s chances of winning most seats ne

Comments

• Options

Nigelb said:

How many of 7 had already lost a VONC from their CLPs

CL - Yes
    CU - Yes
    AS - Yes
    GS - Yes
    AC - ?
    LB - 2 tabled but withdrawn
    MG - ?

And how’s that working out for Labour ?

That’s what pushed them.

What else had they to lose?
    Now apply that to the Conservative party's own jihad against Remain-sympathising MPs and rethink who might defect.
    If Ken goes, I go.... but he won't!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Nigelb said:

CL - Yes
    CU - Yes
    AS - Yes
    GS - Yes
    AC - ?
    MG - ?

The minimum Lab should expect is that their elected representatives should be able to say is that they would prefer a Lab Govt under Jezza than a Tory one under TM.

Unfortunately the not so magnificent 7 even couldnt meet this minimum requirement.
    You forget that had Umunna not withdrawn his leadership campaign he would almost certainly have been chosen.
    Very unlikely. Labour was not looking for a Blairite clone in 2015. Apparently there were also skeletons hanging around his cupboard.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Sandpit said:

The events of this morning have reinforced what I have been thinking for some time - that despite the cchaos that has been the government in recent times, Theresa May could end up in an unbelievably strong position in a couple of months.

Furthermore, as someone who believes that a deal is by far the best (or least worst) outcome, I feel that May is finally going about this the right way. I have tried to "war game" her strategy and have concluded the following:

1. Her ultimate goal is to put a deal to parliament with a compromise on the backstop. Thanks to the Brady amendment, she knows that this would have parliamentary backing and she is therefore able to tell the EU in clear terms what they need to do.

2. As can be seen from the EU reaction to the prospect of No Deal in recent weeks, putting forward No Deal as the only alternative gives the EU incentive to negotiate in a collaborative manner.

3. Even in the event that she is unable to gain any kind of concession from the EU, the Spelman Amendment shows that there is a parliamentary majority against No Deal, so if she were to present any deal to parliament at the last minute with No Deal as the only alternative then she is also likely to win.

4. While an extension to pass various bills may be required once a deal is agreed, an extension to negotiate a deal is both pointless (as we are only arguing one detail) and counterproductive, as unless she gets a full concession from the EU she needs the time pressure to get her deal through.

5. The above only works if No Deal is the alternative position. Removing No Deal removes all incentive for the EU to negotiate collaboratively and allows MPs hoping to remain to vote it down.

6. If all of the above fails the EU is sure to grant an extension in order for both sides to avoid No Deal. I do not think for a minute that May is happy to allow No Deal to happen and may be forced down the referendum route.

For those reasons, so long as she sticks to her negotiating principles, I expect a deal to be passed, which while flawed, is already seen as by far the least worst option in polls. A deal will, I expect, keep the tory party together while the labour party is hopelessly split.

That sounds about right. We end up with an amended deal with a limited backstop passing at the last minute in March, following which the Tories go back to the rest of the things government needs to do, and Labour go back to arguing with each other over how it’s not really racism if it’s against Jews.
    If a deal passes, the Brexit argument will just grind on because none of the future relationship trade offs have been confronted yet.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

CL - Yes
    CU - Yes
    AS - Yes
    GS - Yes
    AC - ?
    MG - ?

That’s what pushed them.

Now apply that to the Conservative party's own jihad against Remain-sympathising MPs and rethink who might defect.
    It’s naked entryism by Aaron Banks and Leave.EU with the subtlety of a hand grenade on a maternity ward.

The Conservative Party are very wise to it.
    Are they? It seems to be working.
    Banks had his membership request rejected.

How many Tory MPs have lost a VONC?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    nico67 said:

A lot of whining from some on social media about the seven but if Corbyn would have respected the party conference motion then this wouldn’t have happened .

Unless there was one on anti-semitism that I missed, you're talking about the Brexit motion, in which case I think you're being extremely unfair to at least some of the seven.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If the Seven did stand down to face bye-elections, what would that do to the parliamentary arithmetic in the run up to Brexit? Is this a good reason why they won’t?

Short answer, 7 Labour holds. Penistone is more interesting than the others (Possible outside chance of a Tory gain), as standing independents though I think they'd all probably lose.
    But how soon would the elections take place? How long would remain be seven down?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    No Labour MPs in Luton now, despite them winning both seats with big majorities at GE2017.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Nigelb said:

CL - Yes
    CU - Yes
    AS - Yes
    GS - Yes
    AC - ?
    MG - ?

The minimum Lab should expect is that their elected representatives should be able to say is that they would prefer a Lab Govt under Jezza than a Tory one under TM.

Unfortunately the not so magnificent 7 even couldnt meet this minimum requirement.
    The minimum requirement of being willing to cripple the country by inflicting the Stupid Communist upon it?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Looking at the TIG seats individually one sticks out,

Penistone and Stocksbridge - ultramarginal

Stockport, very safe Labour
    Wavertree, ultrasafe Labour
    Ilford South, ultrasafe Labour
    Nottingham East, very very safe Labour
    Luton South, very safe Labour
    Streatham, ultrasafe Labour

So only Smith might give the Tories a seat if she runs next time round; I'd expect the rest to be safe Labour holds even if the MPs ran as independents. I doubt any of them can win without the Labour mark.

Useless fact: all of those seats with Conservative until 1979 and/or 1983.
    Bar Nottingham East the seats were Tory-held until 1992 - though boundaries have changed.Wavertree disappeared in 1983 but was brought back as a bigger seat in 1997.
    The Tories probably would have lost Wavertree in 1983 or 1987 given the big anti-Tory swing in Liverpool at that time.
    Quite likely - particularly in 1987 - though the old Wavertree boundaries were more favourable for them.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Haha Haha no.

Especially if sensible conservatives is defined as "we must remain in the EU and overturn the referendum at all costs" which is the view of about 8 hardline MPs alone.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Scott_P said:
    So not content to go fishing in a puddle you decide to split said puddle in half.
  • Options
    DonTsInferno_DonTsInferno_ Posts: 108
    edited February 2019

To be expected, though I would have thought that if it takes off it will probably pull as many Conservative Remainers as erstwhile Labour loyalists.

Conservative MPs defecting maybe, Conservative voters...?
    What do you think the Conservative party offers Remain voters beyond the prospect of keeping out Jeremy Corbyn?
    I’d say a lot of Conservative Remain voters were more Conservative than Remain, accept we are leaving and would rather a Conservative govt than risk a Labour one by voting for people whose sole aim is stopping Brexit.
    That looks like wishful thinking to me, straight from the school that thinks Labour Leavers are magically more Leavers than Labour but Conservative Remainers prioritise party loyalty. But polling shows that voters' Brexit identity is self-perceived to be stronger than their party identity and that a plurality of voters do not see a party that represents them.

Conservative Remainers that have stuck with the Conservative party today are either doing so out of fear of Jeremy Corbyn or Stockholm Syndrome.
    It’s not wishful thinking on my part, I am not a Conservative voter. We shall see how they get on when the Independents against Independence stand in an election. Could be waiting a long time though.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    IanB2 said:

More interesting will be how many actually serving councillors follow the MPs' lead
    You do tend to find councillors who have to run things, in charge of an administration no what political reality is like, how choices over things you want. Corbyn’s Labour has no concept of priorities.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904

Roger said:

What a fantastic day for the Conservative Party. Nice one Jeremy!

That said, Corbyn gets his wish for perpetual opposition. Power without responsibility!

I don't agree. It's impossible to know what twists and turns this will take. What we know is that most voters are somewhere in the centre but both major party leaderships are at the extreme. (The Tories more than Labour). This could well kill the Labour Party but equally it could be irrelevant.
    No if I were Mrs May I would be hill walking in Snowdonia this week.
    Not rolling in a cornfield naked?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2019
    I have no idea why Luciana Berger feels the need to leave...from the end of last year...

The Labour leadership has failed to make any contact with Jewish Labour MP Luciana Berger — despite the announcement last week of a criminal investigation into violent antisemitic threats made against her.

The JC understands that neither Jeremy Corbyn nor any member of his senior team has offered support of any kind to Ms Berger after Cressida Dick, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, confirmed last Friday the start of a criminal probe into the threats that appeared in a dossier of abuse from Labour members.

In a series of potentially catastrophic events for Labour, it has emerged that party officials were fully aware of the threats made to Ms Berger — including the suggestion she was a “Zionist Extremist… about (to) get a good kicking” — for at least six months.

Despite the fact that Ms Berger has been a frequent target of extremists since she was elected Liverpool Wavertree MP in 2010, and that Labour MP Jo Cox was murdered by an extremist in 2016, Labour officials failed to alert Ms Berger or the police about the existence of threats now deemed serious enough for an investigation by Scotland Yard.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/labour-snubs-mp-luciana-berger-over-assault-threat-1.472234
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    justin124 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Nigelb said:

CL - Yes
    CU - Yes
    AS - Yes
    GS - Yes
    AC - ?
    MG - ?

You forget that had Umunna not withdrawn his leadership campaign he would almost certainly have been chosen.
    Very unlikely. Labour was not looking for a Blairite clone in 2015. Apparently there were also skeletons hanging around his cupboard.
    I'm aware of some significent skeletons Umunna has in his cupboard and I wonder if they're more likely to be exposed now given the enemies he has made.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    AndyJS said:

No Labour MPs in Luton now, despite them winning both seats with big majorities at GE2017.

Esther Rantzens campaign for indys bearing late fruit
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

A lot of whining from some on social media about the seven but if Corbyn would have respected the party conference motion then this wouldn’t have happened .

He is a 2nd Referendum is still on the table and will be a last resort if TM doesnt cave in to #CorbynsCustomsUnion.

It’s on the table the same way one of my many new diets is ! It sits there never used ! Corbyn was allegedly all about party democracy , the membership overwhelmingly backs a second vote and he’s chosen to ignore that and chase the 20% of Labour voters who still think Brexit is a good idea .

He’s betrayed the vast majority of Labour supporters. If Keir Starmer was in charge Labour would be wiping the floor with the Tories .

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Roger said:

I don't agree. It's impossible to know what twists and turns this will take. What we know is that most voters are somewhere in the centre but both major party leaderships are at the extreme. (The Tories more than Labour). This could well kill the Labour Party but equally it could be irrelevant.

I think this might be big because of Chuka. He has appeal to 'moderates' on both sides. I know this because I am acquainted with quite a few of these strange fruits and they all tell me they would probably vote for a party led by him.

On a more serious note, MotherFatherSon, a new TV series starring Richard Gere is starting soon. It's a relationship drama set in the here and now so he will be wearing modern western clothing. A must watch as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Would be tremendous incompetence to go now.

The Labour Party split is too nascent. It's still in the embryonic stage and would be aborted if we went to the polls now.

A split will need a year or two to build up momentum. Get more defections, a party infrastructure, at least candidates in seats!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,343
    Roger said:

Roger said:

What a fantastic day for the Conservative Party. Nice one Jeremy!

That said, Corbyn gets his wish for perpetual opposition. Power without responsibility!

No if I were Mrs May I would be hill walking in Snowdonia this week.
    Not rolling in a cornfield naked?
    Forty years too late for both Theresa and me I fear.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    These punters who imagine the Tories doing so well out of the Independent 7 -- are they all of them unwavering Tories themselves? Aren't there many who were taught by Corbyn in 2017 to hate the Tories, even if Corbyn has failed to ensure that they still love Labour as led by him? Isn't it possible that the effect of the Independent 7 will be to reduce the Tories' share -- even perhaps to do so sufficiently for Labour to come out victorious?
    People speak of "splitting the Labour vote". But it's not as if one could assume a fixed anti-Tory vote.
  • Options
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

If the Seven did stand down to face bye-elections, what would that do to the parliamentary arithmetic in the run up to Brexit? Is this a good reason why they won’t?

Why on earth would they give up the leverage they have? I don't disagree that they ought to stand down to stand again as independent (their voters voted for Labour, after all), but the pragmatic move is to stay and somehow try to wield 7/12ths of the power of the DUP. Which is a lot of power.

May's deal for example. I know they are second voters but actually what could they extract from an in the corner May to support the WA?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The Conservative splitters could call themselves the Centre Group just to confuse people.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019

Conservative Remainers that have stuck with the Conservative party today are either doing so out of fear of Jeremy Corbyn or Stockholm Syndrome.

No, that's not right. What you are missing is that, for the moment at least, the Conservative Party is still led by moderates. Theresa May, for all her many faults and despite her clumsiness, is trying hard to implement the 2016 People's Vote in a sensible way. Indeed she has (in defiance of many predictions) agreed a realistic deal with the EU27, which those of use who voted Remain can accept as not too bad if we're going to do Brexit at all . We have an eminently sensible and moderate Chancellor, a business-friendly Business Secretary, a very good, centrist Works & Pensions secretary, a decent Home Secretary, an excellent Justice Secretary, and Michael Gove is widely admired (even by Nick P of this parish) for his handling of the Environment brief. So those of us from the sensible wing of the Conservative Party have every reason to continue supporting it, despite the attacks from the loony wing and despite some less than stellar occupiers of some of the other portfolios.

Of course, the utter unacceptability of Corbyn and his henchmen is also a strong motivator, but for the moment the Conservative Party is still a reasonable offer. Obviously if the loons take control as they have in Labour, or if we end up crashing out in chaos, that may change, but we're not there yet
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited February 2019
    Like Cooper-Balls, Tom Watson is Labour till he dies.

Anyone associated with El Gord will will stick it out.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    Off topic but in F1 news - Williams won't be testing tomorrow and may not make Wednesday..

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/11629736/williams-set-to-miss-another-day-of-pre-season-testing-in-barcelona
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Interesting and thoughtful interview with David Blunkett on WATO.

A lot of hypocrisy from McCluskey though. He says that the departing MPs increased their majorities as a result of Corbyn's leadership. They should stand as independents.

Well, the same can be said of Corbyn. His increased majorities came on the back of Blair's leadership. Didn't stop him rebelling constantly, far more than these MPs have ever done. And he didn't have the balls to stand as an independent either. He just decided to support the entryists - Militant Tendency.

Corbyn has no business demanding loyalty from anyone, given how little loyalty he showed to the Labour leadership when he was a backbench MP.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That arrogance is breath-taking..... a no deal Brexit could easily create the economic mess needed to sweep in an extremist lefty party promising chimps and unicorns paid for by the elite wealthy few. ...

Yours a tory wet.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,476
    TGOHF said:

Nigelb said:

CL - Yes
    CU - Yes
    AS - Yes
    GS - Yes
    AC - ?
    MG - ?

That’s what pushed them.

In the Con scenario - Allen and Soubry are the Corbynites...

No, its not the extremists being threatened with deselection in either party
  • Options

Johnny mac wants by-elections of these traitors.

Just like he stood in a by-election when he was busy rebelling against the Labour leadership..... Oh no, he didn't.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

BMG’s Westminster Voting Intention Results: February 2019

Posted 18/02/19 in Polling

BMG’s latest Westminster voting intention poll shows the Conservative party pull ahead of the Labour party for the first time since July 2018. The poll was conducted between 4th – 8th February and surveyed 1,503 GB adults.

The Conservative party’s voting intention share rose by 2% from January to 38%, giving them a lead over the Labour party of 3%. The Labour party’s vote intention share has decreased by 1% from last month, leaving them on just 35%. This is the lowest voting intention recorded since the 2017 UK General Election. However, please note that these results are within the margin of error.

The Liberal Democrats and UKIP voting intention share has remained stable on 13% and 5% respectively.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Like Cooper-Balls, Tom Watson is Labour till he dies.

Anyone associated with El Gord will will stick it out.
    From memory in the HoC seating, was Yvette not always sat next to Leslie?
  • Options
    John Barnes is on QT this week....he certainly isn't shy when it comes to his opinion on Churchill....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,476
    Scott_P said:
    Streeting has said he wont go. Career before principle.
  • Options
    Almost certainly bollox, but if not, how dumb are these people?

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1097494309774000128
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

I think this might be big because of Chuka. He has appeal to 'moderates' on both sides. I know this because I am acquainted with quite a few of these strange fruits and they all tell me they would probably vote for a party led by him.
    Heh, I'm guessing you live inside the M25 :) ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Meanwhile, one of the 7 valiant anti-racists has suggested that woman of colour Ash Sarkar has a "funny tint":

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1097484510676029440
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,943
    eek said:

Off topic but in F1 news - Williams won't be testing tomorrow and may not make Wednesday..

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/11629736/williams-set-to-miss-another-day-of-pre-season-testing-in-barcelona

Oh dear, sad to see what’s become of them in recent years to one of the most successful privateer teams. Time for Sir Frank to bring in someone to ‘help’ Claire run the team I think.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Interesting and thoughtful interview with David Blunkett on WATO.

A lot of hypocrisy from McCluskey though. He says that the departing MPs increased their majorities as a result of Corbyn's leadership. They should stand as independents.

Well, the same can be said of Corbyn. His increased majorities came on the back of Blair's leadership. Didn't stop him rebelling constantly, far more than these MPs have ever done. And he didn't have the balls to stand as an independent either. He just decided to support the entryists - Militant Tendency.

Corbyn has no business demanding loyalty from anyone, given how little loyalty he showed to the Labour leadership when he was a backbench MP.

I don't think that's true re Corbyn's majority. Corbyn won by 32k in 2017; he was down in four figures in 2005 when the Lib Dems were a real threat.

But you're right that Corbyn has little space to credibly argue for loyalty (and, to be fair, as an individual, hasn't usually - although the same can't be said for his cheerleaders).
  • Options

Nigelb said:

CL - Yes
    CU - Yes
    AS - Yes
    GS - Yes
    AC - ?
    MG - ?

My own MP, Tulip Siddiq, said just this to me before the last election. She told me I should vote for her because after the election Corbyn would be ousted and there would be no chance of him being PM.

I doubt she was the only MP saying this.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    That arrogance is breath-taking..... a no deal Brexit could easily create the economic mess needed to sweep in an extremist lefty party promising chimps and unicorns paid for by the elite wealthy few. ...

Yours a tory wet.
    And with fewer moderates on the Labour benches to restrain such a lefty party too.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,343
    alednam said:

These punters who imagine the Tories doing so well out of the Independent 7 -- are they all of them unwavering Tories themselves? Aren't there many who were taught by Corbyn in 2017 to hate the Tories, even if Corbyn has failed to ensure that they still love Labour as led by him? Isn't it possible that the effect of the Independent 7 will be to reduce the Tories' share -- even perhaps to do so sufficiently for Labour to come out victorious?
    People speak of "splitting the Labour vote". But it's not as if one could assume a fixed anti-Tory vote.

No, in the short term this is good for the Tories. In the longer term it will probably be beneficial for whoever emerges from thus anti-Tory mess. That could be Momentum- free Labour or a new Blairite Party.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Why on earth would they give up the leverage they have? I don't disagree that they ought to stand down to stand again as independent (their voters voted for Labour, after all), but the pragmatic move is to stay and somehow try to wield 7/12ths of the power of the DUP. Which is a lot of power.

May's deal for example. I know they are second voters but actually what could they extract from an in the corner May to support the WA?
    I agree that the power they have in a series of votes in the next month makes bye-elections very unlikely.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Johnny mac wants by-elections of these traitors.

Just like he stood in a by-election when he was busy rebelling against the Labour leadership..... Oh no, he didn't.
    I mean this is it isn't it. All the cultists saying it is a disgrace these people unwilling to sign the pledge to worship Project Jezza, don't seem to know their history of what the likes of Jezza and Johnny Mac spent most of the last 40 years doing..
  • Options

Very wise. She’d be great and have superb appeal.

The only reason you don’t like her is she’s a Scottish Unionist frustrating your ambitions.
  • Options

No, that's not right. What you are missing is that, for the moment at least, the Conservative Party is still led by moderates. Theresa May, for all her many faults and despite her clumsiness, is trying hard to implement the 2016 People's Vote in a sensible way. Indeed she has (in defiance of many predictions) agreed a realistic deal with the EU27, which those of use who voted Remain can accept as not too bad if we're going to do Brexit at all . We have an eminently sensible and moderate Chancellor, a business-friendly Business Secretary, a very good, centrist Works & Pensions secretary, a decent Home Secretary, an excellent Justice Secretary, and Michael Gove is widely admired (even by Nick P of this parish) for his handling of the Environment brief. So those of us from the sensible wing of the Conservative Party have every reason to continue supporting it, despite the attacks from the loony wing and despite some less than stellar occupiers of some of the other portfolios.

Of course, the utter unacceptability of Corbyn and his henchmen is also a strong motivator, but for the moment the Conservative Party is still a reasonable offer. Obviously if the loons take control as they have in Labour, or if we end up crashing out in chaos, that may change, but we're not there yet
    +1
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Oh no First Mike Gapes

Now Adam Langlethingy

If only Corbyn hadnt completely ignored AS

https://twitter.com/the_awakend/status/1029685536951345152

They haven't even bothered to disguise the cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if Victoria Derbyshire put's in a complaint. The effect is to make her seem a very poor interviewer
  • Options

Nigelb said:

CL - Yes
    CU - Yes
    AS - Yes
    GS - Yes
    AC - ?
    MG - ?

That’s what pushed them.

It’s naked entryism by Aaron Banks and Leave.EU with the subtlety of a hand grenade on a maternity ward.

The Conservative Party are very wise to it.
    Are they? It seems to be working.

Has a VoNC been carried yet?
  • Options

The only reason you don’t like her is she’s a Scottish Unionist frustrating your ambitions.
    Let's bookmark that comment for when Ruth makes her inevitable intervention on Brexit sometime before the end of March.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Oh no First Mike Gapes

Now Adam Langlethingy

If only Corbyn hadnt completely ignored AS

https://twitter.com/the_awakend/status/1029685536951345152

They haven't even bothered to disguise the cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if Victoria Derbyshire put's in a complaint. The effect is to make her seem a very poor interviewer
    Shush Roger..... this is a revered clipping which is repeatedly posted here by the true believers to show how unworthy the criticism is.... you'll be told to eff off if you challenge it's sacred authenticity.
  • Options

In the *run-up* to Brexit (i.e. the next five and a half weeks), it would give May a 'majority' of one. The Tories have 316 seats, excluding Dep/Speakers. (650-316), less the Speakers, less Sinn Fein, less the Rebel Seven, less the banged-up Onasanya, is 315.
  • Options

You never came back to me with all those examples of abusive posts I'm supposed to spew out. Now's your chance, federast boy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,943

TOPPING said:

I agree that the power they have in a series of votes in the next month makes bye-elections very unlikely.
    That’s probably part of the thinking behind not setting up a party just yet, as it avoids too much discussion of the Carswell Principle during what’s going to be a very difficult few months in Parliamentary terms.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016

Yes. In idler moments I have taken to wondering that, Brexit and attitudes to immigrants put to one side, we actually have the most left wing government in 40 years?
    Gauke's unremarked upon intervention on sentencing today being the latest example.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

CL - Yes
    CU - Yes
    AS - Yes
    GS - Yes
    AC - ?
    MG - ?

My own MP, Tulip Siddiq, said just this to me before the last election. She told me I should vote for her because after the election Corbyn would be ousted and there would be no chance of him being PM.

Did she intend you to make this public?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    What a start for the new party, Angela Smith straight into a racism row.
  • Options

The TIG don't need a Scotland strategy at all at present - that's running before you've even learned to crawl.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Scott_P said:
    The run down in Japanese investment in the UK since Abe's visit to see May last year has been stunning. Must have been something she said.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Once the egg is broken it can't be put back together again.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yes. In idler moments I have taken to wondering that, Brexit and attitudes to immigrants put to one side, we actually have the most left wing government in 40 years?
    Gauke's unremarked upon intervention on sentencing today being the latest example.

I wouldn't go that far! Leaving aside Brexit (which obviously sucks out all the air), it's a bit of a mixture but broadly Cameroon still.
  • Options
    felix said:

BMG’s Westminster Voting Intention Results: February 2019

Posted 18/02/19 in Polling

BMG’s latest Westminster voting intention poll shows the Conservative party pull ahead of the Labour party for the first time since July 2018. The poll was conducted between 4th – 8th February and surveyed 1,503 GB adults.

The Conservative party’s voting intention share rose by 2% from January to 38%, giving them a lead over the Labour party of 3%. The Labour party’s vote intention share has decreased by 1% from last month, leaving them on just 35%. This is the lowest voting intention recorded since the 2017 UK General Election. However, please note that these results are within the margin of error.

The Liberal Democrats and UKIP voting intention share has remained stable on 13% and 5% respectively.

Interesting - though the fieldwork is a week older than Opinium.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Pulpstar said:

What a start for the new party, Angela Smith straight into a racism row.

Surely Lucianna has to resign

Her new party is Institutionally Rascist against those with a "strange tinge"
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2019
    Ho. Lee. Shit.

Honda quitting Swindon is massive news. It's the absolute bedrock of the town. Mrs Capitano used to teach there - so many families were dependent on Honda in one way or another.

Looks like chances of a General Election just receded again.... and chances of No Brexit just surged.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:
    The run down in Japanese investment in the UK since Abe's visit to see May last year has been stunning. Must have been something she said.
    More likely something she didn't say, or hasn't been able to deliver. Thanks, ERGers.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2019
    Sources said that Honda was likely to relocate the manufacturing capability at Swindon to its home market of Japan. The ability to guarantee tariff-free exports to the EU is understood to have been among the factors persuading the company of the merits of its decision. It was unclear whether the Government securing a wide-ranging free trade deal with the EU would have any impact on the company's decision.

https://news.sky.com/story/honda-to-stun-ministers-with-closure-of-swindon-factory-11641154
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    A Leave voting area. How sorry should we feel?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

I think there's no chance that Ruth Davidson would switch.
  • Options

Ho. Lee. Shit.

Honda quitting Swindon is massive news. It's the absolute bedrock of the town. Mrs Capitano used to teach there - so many families were dependent on Honda in one way or another.

Looks like chances of a General Election just receded again.... and chances of No Brexit just surged.

Seems like the 'x is a long time in politics' scale is now re-calibrated to about 4 hours.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Heh, I'm guessing you live inside the M25 :) ?

Yes, fair cop. Within the North Circular even. In fact within whatever is within that.

And I must admit I don't get out much.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    I feel pretty sorry for the kids whose parents are about to be made redundant, if that's an answer, you champagne-soaked old sot.
  • Options
    LOL at Len McCluskey:

“They stood as Labour MPs on a platform in the general election 18 months ago. All of them got massive increases in their majorities. I have to tell them it wasn’t because of their own personal charisma. It was because of a manifesto which promised to respect the 2016 referendum and take us out of Europe, so all of their heartbreak sounds a little bit hollow.”

Ah, so that's the explanation for the 2017 increase in the Labour vote. It was a vote against staying in the EU. Glad we've got that cleared up.
  • Options
    I see that neither of my MPs are now Labour.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

CL - Yes
    CU - Yes
    AS - Yes
    GS - Yes
    AC - ?
    MG - ?

Did she intend you to make this public?
    She said it in public in front of two Labour members campaigning with her. And to at least two other voters in her constituency who told her that Corbyn was what was stopping them voting for her.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

She's an ex-BBC insider who relies on a soft ride from her mates in the media.
  • Options
    Here is the email I have just received from Jeremy -

Dear Kinabalu,

Our country is in crisis and needs a Labour Government.

Our opponents are the Tories, not each other, and it's disappointing that a small group of MPs have felt unable to continue to work together for the Labour policies that inspired millions at the last election and saw us increase our vote by the largest share since 1945.

Labour won people over on a programme for the many not the few – redistributing wealth and power, taking vital resources into public ownership, investing in every region and nation, and tackling climate change.

The Conservative Government is bungling Brexit, while Labour has set out a credible alternative, keeping all options on the table, including a public vote to stop a disastrous 'no deal' Brexit.

When millions are facing the misery of Universal Credit, rising crime, homelessness and poverty, now more than ever is the time to bring people together to build a better future for us all. For those millions the only solution is a Labour Government that will invest in and transform our country.

That's why we must be united – not for ourselves but to deliver a Labour Government.

Yours, Jeremy

Not sure how best to reply. I want to say something warm and supportive back but I do not want him to get the impression that I am just some sort of yes-man without a mind of my own.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

LOL at Len McCluskey:

“They stood as Labour MPs on a platform in the general election 18 months ago. All of them got massive increases in their majorities. I have to tell them it wasn’t because of their own personal charisma. It was because of a manifesto which promised to respect the 2016 referendum and take us out of Europe, so all of their heartbreak sounds a little bit hollow.”

Ah, so that's the explanation for the 2017 increase in the Labour vote. It was a vote against staying in the EU. Glad we've got that cleared up.

What was the reason?
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Toying with the idea of a tiny bet on the new not-yet-a-party doing rather well next time.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Meanwhile, one of the 7 valiant anti-racists has suggested that woman of colour Ash Sarkar has a "funny tint":

Go on, attack her, Attack her violently and viciously. That will create more defectors...

This could be just the beginning of Labour's breakdown. They may not splinter, they might shatter.

Delicious.
    If Labour disintegrates, there must be a fair chance the Conservatives would also do so. What's left to hold them together if Labour are no longer a threat?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Scott_P said:
    I'm sure their brain-storming came up with some cracking "out the box" thinking.

Chapter 7 - Getting off the ground.

"What about Gary Lineker as our leader?" Chuka's countenance slipped into a scowl. "We don't want to be associated with fast food. Not great with the yummy-mummy demographic", he added. "It's the yummy-mummies that buy his bloody crisps" Mike Gapes countered, refusing to let his idea go.

Only eight more hours of this, thought Anna.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    Jacob Rees Mogg has impeccable timing given the Honda news

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1097501607829360641
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    I feel pretty sorry for the kids whose parents are about to be made redundant, if that's an answer, you champagne-soaked old sot.
    .....and for Shamima Begum for the same reason. Good for you. Most people don't
  • Options

LOL at Len McCluskey:

What was the reason?
    Much the same reason as the big increase in LibDem support in 2010.
  • Options
    And they seemed so gooey and loving only last week.

https://twitter.com/Honda_UK/status/1096001129928892417
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Go on, attack her, Attack her violently and viciously. That will create more defectors...

This could be just the beginning of Labour's breakdown. They may not splinter, they might shatter.

Delicious.
    If Labour disintegrates, there must be a fair chance the Conservatives would also do so. What's left to hold them together if Labour are no longer a threat?
    Outside of their Brexit voting, look at rest of the voting patterns of the possible Conservative defectors. They really don't look like easy bed-fellows for the Seven.
This discussion has been closed.