Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab’s resignation sparks off huge movements on the TMay exit,

Comments

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    So my feeling is that if the 48 go in, the ERG's best strategy is to say they'll support Javid, possibly for a coronation. I think he's the figure most acceptable to both sides. Even if ditching May doesn't help get a better deal it would avoid the new problem of her being able to squat, unmovable, in Number 10 for a year.

Everyone should be laying 2019 as May's departure date if they think the threshold will be reached, right?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

Well, I've carefully evaluated the probabilities of all the possible outcomes, and I can confirm that they are all impossible.

We need an infinite improbability drive ...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Sooooo, (at least) three more letters in today and we're still at 47.999?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    I honestly don't know how people like TSE justify voting for Cameron and his referendum over Miliband in 2015.
    Cameron certainly bears the heaviest burden of guilt for the current debacle. May inherited an almost impossible situation; however she took every opportunity to make it worse.
    All of this could have been avoided if Labour had honoured their commitment to hold a referendum on Lisbon.

If Blair hadn't dicked about the voting system for partisan reasons for European elections UKIP would have never surged.
    I feel so sorry for you and the reasonable Conservatives on this board. I do wonder if the Conservative Party will survive this.
    Of course it will - look we picked a duff leader. It happens. We need a better one.
    It has survived a great many problems over the last couple of centuries. But it may not survive this: it is riven.
    24 hours of Corbyn in Number Ten will almost certainly concentrate minds.
  • Options
    Paging PB scientists.

Can you name me two chemicals/elements that are perfectly harmless on their own but when combined results in danger/disaster.
  • Options

Well, I've carefully evaluated the probabilities of all the possible outcomes, and I can confirm that they are all impossible.

Yeah, that's how I've been feeling about this moment for a long time now. I just wish May had brought us here earlier when we still had time to maneuver, rather than can-kicking for so long
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    I honestly don't know how people like TSE justify voting for Cameron and his referendum over Miliband in 2015.
    Cameron certainly bears the heaviest burden of guilt for the current debacle. May inherited an almost impossible situation; however she took every opportunity to make it worse.
    All of this could have been avoided if Labour had honoured their commitment to hold a referendum on Lisbon.

If Blair hadn't dicked about the voting system for partisan reasons for European elections UKIP would have never surged.
    I feel so sorry for you and the reasonable Conservatives on this board. I do wonder if the Conservative Party will survive this.
    Of course it will - look we picked a duff leader. It happens. We need a better one.
    It has survived a great many problems over the last couple of centuries. But it may not survive this: it is riven.
    Especially when he turns out to be good.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    But the Moggster is putting his in.... I doubt he will be alone.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Well, this is fun, isn’t it?

Remember when you said only a Leave win would finally unite the Tory party.
    The Leave win was usurped by Remainer May who seeks to thwart us leaving in practice and not in name only.

A real Leave would eventually finally unite the Tory party. But a real Leave isn't what May has sought.
    Leavers like Royal Blue and Mortimer support this deal, it is the headbangers who ruining this.

As I predicted they would.
    To be fair to most leavers on this board they seem far more capable of compromise than the diehards in the ERG. The happiest leavers on this board are the Labourites who are cock a hoop with the Gov't being in a proper mess.
    The ERG is more Flash and Thompson rather than Mortimer and Royale.
    Agreed. I don't like Remain, and I don't like a car crash Brexit. But, it looks as if we'll get one of them.
    The ERG are making the same mistake the anti-Treaty IRA made in 1922. They should understand this deal does not get them all that they want, but it does get the single most important thing that they want, an exit from the EU., plus it provides a route for them to get all or most of what they want, just over time.

Although if Mrs May survives the rest of the week she should probably refrain from taking the ministerial limo on any tours of the backways of deepest Somerset for the forseeable future.
    Deep down, do they even want to leave the EU?
    I have wondered this myself. We need a psychologist to give us the answer.

I think that’s one profession we don’t have on PB. Think of all the material they’d have to work with...
    Perhaps they are here, just silently taking notes and nodding occasionally.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

John McDonnell: “If we can’t get a general election, yes we will keep a People’s Vote on the table”

Is Jezza out of the loop now?
    Hey I win about 3 grand if he is somehow next PM :p
    It’s a great time to lay Jezza.

If May loses, it’s a Tory. If she narrowly wins she’ll go next year, and then it’s a Tory.

Only Jezza with an early GE.
    Hm. I think Labour will struggle to win a snap election because of the the Lib Dem factor. Lots of Lab voters are anti-Brexit and may switch if the election is before B-day.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

Paging PB scientists.

Can you name me two chemicals/elements that are perfectly harmless on their own but when combined results in danger/disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRKK6pliejs
  • Options

Paging PB scientists.

Sodium and Water.
  • Options

Great day to be an Anarchist.
  • Options

Paging PB scientists.

I wouldn't suggest ingesting lithium to be fair or indeed leaving it even in air
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    Jonathan said:

It would be fun if after all this they do not get to 48. If I were Brady I would be tempted to say so, just to wind people up.
    He won't have to say so, his continued silence shows they have not (yet) hit 48.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Paging PB scientists.

Carbon and nitrogen combine to form cyanide.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    My wife reports that Tim Farron (remember him) is in Kirby Lonsdale at the moment...
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2018
    Gove turns down May's offer to be Brexit Secretary. Rory Stewart might say yes...
  • Options
    When the gas supply goes out this cold winter, the memories of the rabid bleatings of leavers blaming everyone else for their decision will keep me toasty warm.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

I love the way the Tories try to palm this off onto anyone else, Corbyn, Blair, The EU, UKIP, Bobby Davro, H from Steps, Pope Gregory IX, Morph.
    I love the way Labour is a responsibility-free zone.....
    If the Tories had a scintilla of discipline about them, today could have been made very difficult for Corbyn.
    I suspect the ERG have called this badly wrong, The country simply wants the thing finished and signed. I see no rewards in referendum 2 for them and only bigger downsides. They just dont know when to settle.
    If May wins a No Confidence vote she is unstoppable for a year, if she loses the Deal vote she can then call an EU referendum in January or February on Deal No Deal or Remain which would pass the Commons most likely, Remain would probably win and the ERG end up with nothing
    which ever way you look at it the Tories are unmanageable
    The Tories have learned nothing and forgotten nothing. They need to learn that Tory party is utterly split over Europe and needs to actually split for any of it to survive. But it won't because the will never forget the split over the Corn Laws.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Paging PB scientists.

Sadly, I think Cummingtonite is relatively inert.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Andy_JS said:

A general election in December would be interesting.

Too late for that now!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    The ERG are hugely misplaying it.

Any new leader will presumably rip up the deal and hence they instantly relieve the Labour Party of any dilemma.

The current Lab dilemma is support the deal or not. If they don't they could be accused of acting against the National interest; if they do, well they support the government and that isn't what an Opposition is supposed to do.

The ERG looks like it is about to relieve them of that problem. No Labour MP with a pulse would ever vote for a Party with one of the Brex-o-loons in charge and hence Lab can sit back and blame the extreme wing of the party whereas they will hint, they would reluctantly but dutifully have backed May's deal.
  • Options

Paging PB scientists.

Thanks.

I'll be doing a thread comparing the EU to water and the Tory Party to lithium.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

Pulpstar said:

Has the ERG concluded its research into Europe yet ?

Dominic Raab has just informed them that it isn't far from Dover.
    Dominic Raab said he meant to say its Dover not over
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Has the ERG concluded its research into Europe yet ?

Dominic Raab has just informed them that it isn't far from Dover.
    Dominic Raab said he meant to say its Dover not over
    I used to love her
    But it's all Dover now
  • Options
    Drove back from meeting listening to Radio 5 - Andrea Jenkyns interview was being replayed.

Oh dear...
  • Options

Paging PB scientists.

Thanks.

Surely you want something where the catalyst is unharmed and the reactive agent completely destroys itself.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Paging PB scientists.

Thanks.

Meh, we had a chemistry teacher who would chuck lumps of sodium into a bucket of water out in the car park.
  • Options
    eek said:

My wife reports that Tim Farron (remember him) is in Kirby Lonsdale at the moment...

Ask her to confirm whether it's true that whenever he stands still, you can hear The Sound of Silence softly playing in the background
  • Options

Paging PB scientists.

Damn! Beat me to it!
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Anorak said:

Gove turns down May's offer to be Brexit Secretary.

Do we really need a Brexit secretary anymore? Can’t May spend 100% of her time on Brexit until 25th November?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Paging PB scientists.

Tomknoxium and Malbec
  • Options

Paging PB scientists.

If you wish to use common household chemicals, cleaning materials with bleach and ammonia in them can be a bad idea.
  • Options
    If you think Raab's comment on the channel was eye opening...

Japan's new cyber-security minister has dumbfounded his country by saying he has never used a computer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46222026
  • Options

Paging PB scientists.

Thanks.

How about the Hindenburg. Full of hydrogen which is pretty harmless in the absence of oxygen. Mix them, and add a spark...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830

If you think Raab's comment on the channel was eye opening...

Japan's new cyber-security minister has dumbfounded his country by saying he has never used a computer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46222026

Makes him pretty secure, I suppose.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Any new leader will presumably rip up the deal and hence they instantly relieve the Labour Party of any dilemma.

The current Lab dilemma is support the deal or not. If they don't they could be accused of acting against the National interest; if they do, well they support the government and that isn't what an Opposition is supposed to do.

The ERG looks like it is about to relieve them of that problem. No Labour MP with a pulse would ever vote for a Party with one of the Brex-o-loons in charge and hence Lab can sit back and blame the extreme wing of the party whereas they will hint, they would reluctantly but dutifully have backed May's deal.

:like:
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Paging PB scientists.

Hydrogen & Fluoride

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fluoride
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    We need a steady old hand back in the cabinet.

Ken Clarke for Brexit Sec.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

But... it's not much of a dilemma. They're obviously not going to support it, and they'd be crazy to. I don't think preserving that situation is a high priority for the ERG
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    eek said:

I get the feeling he is having a much better time of things being a stormingly good local MP, than he was as party leader. Good for him.
  • Options

Paging PB scientists.

That's the best suggestion. Lithium isn't harmless on its own, but carbon and nitrogen are.
  • Options

Paging PB scientists.

Thanks, we have a winner.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

But EU membership will still be festering in the background. You'll have shits like Boris and JRM hanging around in the background, constantly whinging. The opposition and media will play up their every word.

They're destroying the Conservative Party and good governance of the country.

In JRM's case, I can understand it: he's insulated from the effects and can afford to hold harmful ideologies dear. It's Boris and his ilk that I have special contempt for: the ones who are doing it to further their own careers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Rees-Mogg giving a press conference calling for May to go.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

Paging PB scientists.

Thanks.

Perhaps potassium and water. Much bigger bang and absolutely no role in the treatment of the schizophrenia.

• Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

But EU membership will still be festering in the background. You'll have shits like Boris and JRM hanging around in the background, constantly whinging. The opposition and media will play up their every word.

In JRM's case, I can understand it: he's insulated from the effects and can afford to hold harmful ideologies dear. It's Boris and his ilk that I have special contempt for: the ones who are doing it to further their own careers.
    they won't have any f**king careers after this.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It would be fun if after all this they do not get to 48. If I were Brady I would be tempted to say so, just to wind people up.
    He won't have to say so, his continued silence shows they have not (yet) hit 48.
    No, I think they have. My guess is that he won't announce it until he's had chance to brief May personally and so that she's not ambushed while still in the Commons. Expect something c3pm?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028

eek said:

Ask her to confirm whether it's true that whenever he stands still, you can hear The Sound of Silence softly playing in the background
    Don't need to as the answer is no (we know him from university and after). The only surprise was that Mrs Eek wasn't expecting to see and equally him to see her (thanks to her new job).
  • Options

Paging PB scientists.

Rees and Mogg
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yes, exactly right.

Plus of course any new leader is going to come back with the same deal, and will face the same parliamentary arithmetic.
  • Options
  • Options

TOPPING said:

But... it's not much of a dilemma. They're obviously not going to support it, and they'd be crazy to. I don't think preserving that situation is a high priority for the ERG
    I don't think they would have supported it but it is nevertheless a dilemma - witness May today appealing to everyone to act in the national interest.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    TOPPING said:

Indeed. ERG don't know when to stop. Yesterday, was the correct answer.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Paging PB scientists.

Hydrogen & Fluoride

LZ 129 is my response to the idea that hydrogen is perfectky harmless.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yes, exactly right.

Plus of course any new leader is going to come back with the same deal, and will face the same parliamentary arithmetic.
    Personally if I was the EU Id offer less than before to the UK to stop them messing about.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Paging PB scientists.

arm and hammer.

https://tinyurl.com/ya26gmel
  • Options
    Remainers are magic,
    Leavers are tragic.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yes, exactly right.

Personally if I was the EU Id offer less than before to the UK to stop them messing about.
    I think Rees-Mogg would be happy with the EU offering less. He doesn't want more from the EU he wants less and seems perfectly content to get nothing at all from them and leave on a clean Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

I love the way the Tories try to palm this off onto anyone else, Corbyn, Blair, The EU, UKIP, Bobby Davro, H from Steps, Pope Gregory IX, Morph.
    I love the way Labour is a responsibility-free zone.....
    If the Tories had a scintilla of discipline about them, today could have been made very difficult for Corbyn.
    I suspect the ERG have called this badly wrong, The country simply wants the thing finished and signed. I see no rewards in referendum 2 for them and only bigger downsides. They just dont know when to settle.
    If May wins a No Confidence vote she is unstoppable for a year, if she loses the Deal vote she can then call an EU referendum in January or February on Deal No Deal or Remain which would pass the Commons most likely, Remain would probably win and the ERG end up with nothing
    which ever way you look at it the Tories are unmanageable
    It may end up with Corbyn as PM and permanent Customs Union and a minority Labour government and Boris leader of the Opposition but I think May survives until a general election
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Paging PB scientists.

Hydrogen & Fluoride

Fair point; fluorine's not so nice either.. Probably why I only got a B in Chemistry O level :lol:

EDIT: Although... one could argue oxygen was as much to blame for the Hindenburg tragedy.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I think Rees-Mogg would be happy with the EU offering less. He doesn't want more from the EU he wants less and seems perfectly content to get nothing at all from them and leave on a clean Brexit.

As long as his hedge fund in Dublin is OK...
  • Options
    Physics gives the biggest bangs.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Physics gives the biggest bangs.

Particle physics gives me a hadron.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Smartarse.

But keep that headline - you'll need it again soon enough.....
  • Options
    This was all so utterly predictable. Back in the day, I remember saying buy shares in betrayal. Yep.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

TOPPING said:

Yes, exactly right.

Personally I'm hoping the ECJ rules Art 50 is not revocable. We need to be taught a lesson here.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Sure, it wouldn't be a comfortable truce. They were difficult for Cameron while Brown was PM. Surely though that was a different level of discord to that evident at present? And a Corbyn-led government would be a greater inducement to uneasy unity than even Brown and a deficit well into twelve digits.

Europe will only cease being an issue for the Conservatives when one side or the other is completely vanquished - but it would be less of an issue if they have an external enemy to unite against.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Paging PB scientists.

Hydrogen & Fluoride

ON THEIR OWN was the criteria. Without oxygen, hydrogen doesn't do much at all.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Just means she's not throwing her hat in the ring this time....
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,008

Paging PB scientists.

nail varnish remover + bleach = chloroform
    vinegar + bleach = weak chlorine gas
    kerosene + (concentrated) bleach = big explosion
    alkali metal + water = small explosion
    ammonium nitrite + fuel oil = explosive

h ttps://abc13.com/health/household-chemicals-you-should-never-mix/1748504/
    h ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergolic_propellant
    h ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_ocr_21c/chemical_patterns/elementsrev3.shtml
    h ttps://www.aristatek.com/newsletter/0512December/TechSpeak.aspx
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, exactly right.

Personally I'm hoping the ECJ rules Art 50 is not revocable. We need to be taught a lesson here.
    thats the weakness in all the UK political class arguments, the get a better deal\remain\outright leave arguments assume that the other side is going to fall in to line with their goals. Why should they ?

UK politics is currently a triumph of hope over experience
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Just means she's not throwing her hat in the ring this time....
    I think many on pb are reading this wrong and the next leader will be a minister who did not resign. It looks like Leadsom agrees with me, as do Javid and Hunt.
  • Options
    "Keep Buggering On" hoping something would turn up to save the day. Churchill's mantra from WWII which was admirable at the time in the circumstances.

Unfortunately for May and the country it now does massive damage.

This deal will not pass Parliament. It is irrelevant to your views on Brexit what you think about that, its simply is. So determinedly buggering on to inevitable defeat and burning further time and patience isn't admirable, its stupid.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Paging PB scientists.

h ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_ocr_21c/chemical_patterns/elementsrev3.shtml
    Please don't google the last on that list.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2018
    viewcode said:

Paging PB scientists.

I would not call bleach "perfectly harmless" on its own, its a hazardous chemical in its own right. Nobody in their right mind would drink it.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    If there is a VONC I think it would force May to say what would happen next if her deal is rejected by parliament. If she won't answer that question or if she answers it and Tory MPs don't like the answer then I think they may well vote her out.
  • Options
    This summit on the 25th. It's a lot of work for some quite busy people. Aren't they justified in asking for some evidence that May can command a majority before they go ahead with it?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Paging PB scientists.

Potassium permanganate and glycerin -- probably still available from Boots.
  • Options
    FTSE's hardly moved but lots of big fallers and risers depending on whether UK or foreign based earnings. Housebuilders and retail banks taking a tonking.
  • Options

"Keep Buggering On" hoping something would turn up to save the day. Churchill's mantra from WWII which was admirable at the time in the circumstances.

Unfortunately for May and the country it now does massive damage.

This deal will not pass Parliament. It is irrelevant to your views on Brexit what you think about that, its simply is. So determinedly buggering on to inevitable defeat and burning further time and patience isn't admirable, its stupid.

Yes, May's entire MO has been burning time, and some here have called her the Great Survivor like it's a good thing.

The one thing that could have made this current situation better is if it had happened nine months ago, when it was already inevitable.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    How will some ERG vetted leader achieve something that will pass through parliament?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Paging PB scientists.

Hydrogen & Fluoride

ON THEIR OWN was the criteria. Without oxygen, hydrogen doesn't do much at all.
    I thought hydrogen gas was quite corrosive, that being one of the difficulties with storing it for use in transport?
  • Options
    The UK’s scheme for ensuring power supplies during the winter months has been suspended after a ruling by the European court of justice that it constitutes illegal state aid.

Payments under the £1bn capacity market scheme will be halted until the government can win permission from the European commission to restart it.

The scheme subsidises owners of coal and gas power stations so the plants are ready to provide emergency backup in times of high demand. It started operating last year to ensure electricity for businesses and homes is available at peak times in winter.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/15/uk-backup-power-subsidies-illegal-european-court-capacity-market
  • Options
    Hang on, I'm losing track: Has Penny Mordaunt resigned and been completely forgotten about in the general brouhaha, or is she still in Cabinet?
  • Options

The UK’s scheme for ensuring power supplies during the winter months has been suspended after a ruling by the European court of justice that it constitutes illegal state aid.

Payments under the £1bn capacity market scheme will be halted until the government can win permission from the European commission to restart it.

The scheme subsidises owners of coal and gas power stations so the plants are ready to provide emergency backup in times of high demand. It started operating last year to ensure electricity for businesses and homes is available at peak times in winter.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/15/uk-backup-power-subsidies-illegal-european-court-capacity-market

we got clearance from the European Commission, it's hardly our fault
  • Options
    chloe said:

How will some ERG vetted leader achieve something that will pass through parliament?

i don't think they've thought that through. Unless they call a GE.
This discussion has been closed.