Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab’s resignation sparks off huge movements on the TMay exit,

Comments

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Nigelb said:

brendan16 said:

Nigelb said:

Somehow, I don't think that was a message of support for her...
    It was - they were clapping McVey's decision to resign and saying well done. But then you would have actually had to watch the debate.
    Apologies - I made the mistake of assuming they knew who she was.
    I suspect many people know who Mcvey is and her connection with UC was. Politics has become a spectator sport,.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    rpjs said:

I'm intrigued that so many people claim this deal will not pass Parliament.

This deal in its current form clearly won't pass at a first attempt, and it is clear that the PM thinks she had got as good as she could from the negotiations upto this point.

What we now have given the EU in the past 24 hours is a very clear picture that the deal as constructed is not enough. We've showcased this morning all of the bits that can not be accepted by one group or another. We've allowed the mediaevalists in the DUP to show they are dead set on going down in flames, and we've shown that this could easily cost the PM her job and the alternatives are (mostly) pretty disastrous (JC or an ERGer).

The routes to a GE are almost non-existent. The routes to another referendum are IMHO unlikely, divisive and probably not decisive. That is a bad route and we don't have the time to anyway.

So, as with all complex stalemates in the end-game of negotiations, we now need something to happen to create the required movement. The last 24 hours should be enough to convince the EU we are not bluffing, the deal won't pass and no deal (even if mitigated by mini-deals) really is the unwelcome alternative.

It may be enough to enable Mrs May to go back and screw more out of the EU now, or we may need it to fail at the first attempt.

Time-limiting the backstop with a unilateral exit mechanism and making both ends of the swimming pool more equal in depth, (coupled with more flesh on the future relationship outline) might be enough to turn this deal into something that can pass parliament at the second attempt.

But the past 24 hours may not be enough for Mrs May to get that final movement. It may need a quick change of PM to Mr Raab to go back with this draft and screw the necessary concessions out of the EU team and re-present it to parliament. He is probably the only one who could pick up the mantle quickly with reasonable confidence from both wings of the party, and not entail us going back to square one.

The EU have made it clear. This is the deal. It's this, crash and burn or (maybe) remain.

Crash and burn will hurt them too, yes, but clearly either they don't think it'll hurt enough to make them interested in budging or they think that to avoid crash and burn we'll plead to remain.
    The germans will take the approach that if the brits cant sign, then assume its no deal and all the time you have left is spent preparing for what that means.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    rpjs said:

I'm intrigued that so many people claim this deal will not pass Parliament.

This deal in its current form clearly won't pass at a first attempt, and it is clear that the PM thinks she had got as good as she could from the negotiations upto this point.

What we now have given the EU in the past 24 hours is a very clear picture that the deal as constructed is not enough. We've showcased this morning all of the bits that can not be accepted by one group or another. We've allowed the mediaevalists in the DUP to show they are dead set on going down in flames, and we've shown that this could easily cost the PM her job and the alternatives are (mostly) pretty disastrous (JC or an ERGer).

The routes to a GE are almost non-existent. The routes to another referendum are IMHO unlikely, divisive and probably not decisive. That is a bad route and we don't have the time to anyway.

So, as with all complex stalemates in the end-game of negotiations, we now need something to happen to create the required movement. The last 24 hours should be enough to convince the EU we are not bluffing, the deal won't pass and no deal (even if mitigated by mini-deals) really is the unwelcome alternative.

It may be enough to enable Mrs May to go back and screw more out of the EU now, or we may need it to fail at the first attempt.

Time-limiting the backstop with a unilateral exit mechanism and making both ends of the swimming pool more equal in depth, (coupled with more flesh on the future relationship outline) might be enough to turn this deal into something that can pass parliament at the second attempt.

But the past 24 hours may not be enough for Mrs May to get that final movement. It may need a quick change of PM to Mr Raab to go back with this draft and screw the necessary concessions out of the EU team and re-present it to parliament. He is probably the only one who could pick up the mantle quickly with reasonable confidence from both wings of the party, and not entail us going back to square one.

The EU have made it clear. This is the deal. It's this, crash and burn or (maybe) remain.

Crash and burn will hurt them too, yes, but clearly either they don't think it'll hurt enough to make them interested in budging or they think that to avoid crash and burn we'll plead to remain.
    Labour, the ERG and Tory remainers: The EU are a bunch of liars, who would therefore very easily do a deal with us, which would be completely better in contradictory ways.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Nigelb said:

Blaming Labour for the current mess may make some Tories feel better about themselves but they would probably be better off confronting reality.
    Holding Labour, and Corbyn, responsible for their choices is entirely reasonable. How Tories feel about it is more or less irrelevant.
    I believe Labour and Corbyn should be, which is why they can't be held responsible for the current Tory mess. It is not their doing.
    They could have prevented it - or at least shown willing to try to do so. Instead they went along with the Tory shambles (now a disaster) every step of the way.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    kle4 said:

Why are so many people still considering their position? This is not rocket science - either you support the deal, whether or not it would pass the Commons, or you don't. If you don;t you quit if you do you stay and take the consequences when it is voted down.

There's not much to think about here when weighing options.
    The news cycle and the impact on a future leadership bid are important and complex matters to consider when the national interest (inseparable from their becoming leader in some MPs’ minds) is at stake.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

MikeL said:

Betfair 2018 GE now 23 on Betfair - not sure why as now legally impossible to have GE before Christmas - as minimum 5 weeks between dissolution and GE - Thur 20 Dec is 5 weeks from today.

Thur 27 Dec still legally possible but surely completely inconceivable.

Couldn’t Parliament legislate to reduce the 5 weeks if a crisis demands it?
    In theory, yes. In practice, shoving through legislation of that order within the space of a week by a divided government that doesn't want a snap election should be thousands to one.

That said, I don't think that general elections have to be on a Thursday.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, that's rather good.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830

Jonathan said:

Physics gives the biggest bangs.

Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    A strange spelling... but it has a certain charm.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Nigelb said:

Blaming Labour for the current mess may make some Tories feel better about themselves but they would probably be better off confronting reality.
    Holding Labour, and Corbyn, responsible for their choices is entirely reasonable. How Tories feel about it is more or less irrelevant.
    I believe Labour and Corbyn should be, which is why they can't be held responsible for the current Tory mess. It is not their doing.
    You are evading the point - the deal being a mess is not Labour's doing. Voting down that mess is still Labour's own choice however. Maybe it is the right choice, we shall see. The fact of it being a mess may or may not justify that choice. But it will still be their choice and if that choice leads to a terrible no deal outcome that the Tories did a bad job doesn't take away Labour's choice.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847

FFS Morris, why can't you quote! Which of DH's posts is 'rather good'?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

Same can be said for you and Corbyn's anti-Semitism. Embrace the reality. ;)
    I know it can be confusing for Islamophobes such as yourself but Corbyn continuing Ed's policies opposing the occupation of Palestine isn't anti semitism. Embrace the reality ;)
    LOL. I am not an Islamaphobe. Far from. I stand by my record on here of calling out Islamaphobia and anti-Semitism, and it says nothing positive about you that you descend to that level.

But for the record, Corbyn's doing much more than than you say. And people should stop hiding their anti-Semitism behind anti-Zionism.

I should ask how bonfire night went for you. Did you mix up your Katyusha and sparklers?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited November 2018
    Labour's problem is that the voting blend that got behind Corbyn includes a lot of very pro-EU people (mainly young). May has delivered (more or less) the only "soft exit" deal that can exist. The only coherent alternatives are WTO (with possibly a cobbled together set of temporary arrangements) or remain. McDonnell stating that he could get a better deal is ludicrous becuase he also stated that permanent CU and SM membership was his aim which is literally not leaving apart from giving up voting rights.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    OTOH, the entire commuting population will probably want to hold a street party to celebrate - that is, if they can get home !!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    OchEye said:

Nigelb said:

brendan16 said:

Nigelb said:

Somehow, I don't think that was a message of support for her...
    It was - they were clapping McVey's decision to resign and saying well done. But then you would have actually had to watch the debate.
    Apologies - I made the mistake of assuming they knew who she was.
    I suspect many people know who Mcvey is and her connection with UC was. Politics has become a spectator sport,.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    HYUFD said:

May is moving towards calling a referendum if she cannot get her Deal through, note she included No Brexit at all in future options last night as Remain almost certainly beats No Deal in EUref2 based on polling

Were you listening to her answers this morning?

She said perhaps some 10 times that she would not be calling a referendum.

Which, following the example of GE2017, means it's nailed on. I salute your perspicacity.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    If Parliament blocks a soft brexit (which TM's deal is) then I can't see where we go. A hard brexit has very little MP support and a 2nd ref would be a crazy course of action. Golly.
  • Options

Polruan said:

MikeL said:

Betfair 2018 GE now 23 on Betfair - not sure why as now legally impossible to have GE before Christmas - as minimum 5 weeks between dissolution and GE - Thur 20 Dec is 5 weeks from today.

Thur 27 Dec still legally possible but surely completely inconceivable.

Couldn’t Parliament legislate to reduce the 5 weeks if a crisis demands it?
    In theory, yes. In practice, shoving through legislation of that order within the space of a week by a divided government that doesn't want a snap election should be thousands to one.

That said, I don't think that general elections have to be on a Thursday.
    Yes, I wasn’t suggesting that 23 was a good price, but if you get to a general election it’s probably because the government have conceded one (as the only way out of the crisis other than a Referendum) rather than been NCed into it, and then all parties would cooperate to get it done quickly.

About 200-1 would be tempting.
  • Options
    And I was just reflecting on May's appalling luck to lose so many ministers, and not Grayling.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Was ... was that a quark joke? Top drawer.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Probably one that involves your opposition.
  • Options
    It is true, but it is totally irrelevant. We are where we are today because David Cameron was worried about UKIP, because a lot of right wing Tories sold an entirely unachievable prospectus to the electorate and because those same right wing Tories will not accept that. This Brexit was made in the Conservative party and is owned entirely by the Conservative party - which once could claim to be the patriotic, pro-business party without being laughed out of court.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Jonathan said:

We need a steady old hand back in the cabinet.

Ken Clarke for Brexit Sec.

Or better still make him PM - I think he'd unite the house in a way I would like!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

If Parliament blocks a soft brexit (which TM's deal is) then I can't see where we go. A hard brexit has very little MP support and a 2nd ref would be a crazy course of action. Golly.

The only actions left are crazy. Hard Brexit has a lot more support than you might think, because so many MPs are willing to risk it - their actions therefore back it as a possibility no matter how much they cry crocodile tears about it with their words.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
    I think that must be the right thing to do. It's high-risk, for all the reasons we've explored, and highly unsatisfactory on a number of counts, but since there is no chance at all of the EU agreeing a better deal than the PM has managed to achieve, and since leaving without a deal would be absolutely catastrophic, the only possible way out if parliament won't accept the deal is to reverse the People's Vote, and the only possible way of doing that with sufficient democratic cover would be to re-run it. Of course, it would be a 50-50 shot at best, but that's better than a 100% chance of disaster. (And both are worse than a near-100% chance of a decent result, which parliament seem set to reject. Hey-ho)
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Wags are commenting that it's typical that Grayling's resignation is running several hours late. Blame is being ascribed to Leavers on the line.
    Very good! Of course he could just be resigning because he's crap at the job.... I
  • Options

It is true, but it is totally irrelevant. We are where we are today because David Cameron was worried about UKIP, because a lot of right wing Tories sold an entirely unachievable prospectus to the electorate and because those same right wing Tories will not accept that. This Brexit was made in the Conservative party and is owned entirely by the Conservative party - which once could claim to be the patriotic, pro-business party without being laughed out of court.

The grave of the Tory Party reads "Fuck Business"- Conservative Foreign Secretary* 2018.

* Not a sackable offence.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,473

Labour's problem is that the voting blend that got behind Corbyn includes a lot of very pro-EU people (mainly young). May has delivered (more or less) the only "soft exit" deal that can exist. The only coherent alternatives are WTO (with possibly a cobbled together set of temporary arrangements) or remain. McDonnell stating that he could get a better deal is ludicrous becuase he also stated that permanent CU and SM membership was his aim which is literally not leaving apart from giving up voting rights.

So it's - literally - leaving.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    PClipp said:

Nigelb said:

They could have prevented it - or at least shown willing to try to do so. Instead they went along with the Tory shambles (now a disaster) every step of the way.
    That is exactly what May wanted, she was goading it, she ended up having to use Sadiq Khan as the bogeyman who was trying to stop Brexit.

Whether Labour actually wanted Brexit or wanted to stop it the only way to let this play out and stop Brexit would be the current strategy where it has blown up in the Conservatives faces.

If we are talking votes in the house of commons I don't think there are any that could have been won that Labour didn't try to win.

If Brexit was ever to be stopped I believe it had to get to this situation first and Labour opposing Brexit would have been the perfect bogeyman to keep it going longer.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    Anorak said:

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

It took him 2 hours, so he certainly hasn't lepton it.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I think that must be the right thing to do. It's high-risk, for all the reasons we've explored, and highly unsatisfactory on a number of counts, but since there is no chance at all of the EU agreeing a better deal than the PM has managed to achieve, and since leaving without a deal would be absolutely catastrophic, the only possible way out is to reverse the People's Vote, and the only possible way of doing that with sufficient democratic cover would be to re-run it. Of course, it would be a 50-50 shot at best, but that's better than a 100% chance of disaster.
    has anyone calling for a second referendum any idea what the question might be ?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The ERG are hugely misplaying it.

Any new leader will presumably rip up the deal and hence they instantly relieve the Labour Party of any dilemma.

The current Lab dilemma is support the deal or not. If they don't they could be accused of acting against the National interest; if they do, well they support the government and that isn't what an Opposition is supposed to do.

The ERG looks like it is about to relieve them of that problem. No Labour MP with a pulse would ever vote for a Party with one of the Brex-o-loons in charge and hence Lab can sit back and blame the extreme wing of the party whereas they will hint, they would reluctantly but dutifully have backed May's deal.

Yes, exactly right.

Plus of course any new leader is going to come back with the same deal, and will face the same parliamentary arithmetic.
    Personally if I was the EU Id offer less than before to the UK to stop them messing about.
    I think Rees-Mogg would be happy with the EU offering less. He doesn't want more from the EU he wants less and seems perfectly content to get nothing at all from them and leave on a clean Brexit.
    In this case less would be more.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2018

Anorak said:

Of course, expecting anyone new to "fix" the deal is delusional in the extreme.

https://twitter.com/TomMcTague/status/1063054601228898310

Brits have spent too much time thinking they are going back in to the Europe of 2016, Merkel ey al have too many other problems without extending Brexit. They want it over.
    If that was the case the way to get it over with would be to make concessions that would be acceptable to Parliament. They've not done that.
    If they make concessions theyll get asked for more. Why would you ?

The only thing which helps May today is it seriosuly reduces the chances of an EU27 member blocking the deal with extra demands of their own. Theyll get leant on.
    Indeed just as the UK has been made to make more concessions every time we've made any.

So what you're suggesting now is they don't simply want it over with. It's May's desire to get something to make this over which has led to us making concessions.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Lammy says May "was handed a sticky wicket".

No. Absolutely not.

May decided she wanted to be Prime Minister when Cameron resigned. It might have been an over-inflated "sense of duty" but she took the chance when it was offered without any hesitation. Her conduct during the EU Referendum when she was almost as invisible as Jeremy Corbyn is all the evidence you need she is an opportunist who would have happily remained (as it were) as HS had Cameron stayed on and awaited his retirement before putting herself forward.

My guess is she will have to be dragged away from No.10 by her fingernails and its' interesting she is relying more on the Cabinet Secretary and other senior civil servants to support her and hold the line. She is treating the office of PM just as she did the office of Home Secretary surrounding herself with sycophantically loyal officials and advisers.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Anorak said:

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, it was a rather elementary joke to make.
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    Jonathan said:

The grave of the Tory Party reads "Fuck Business"- Conservative Foreign Secretary* 2018.

The Tory Party is putting forward and majority voting for a very workable Brexit Plan. It looks like the Labour Party is voting for the cliff edge crash.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Why are so many people still considering their position? This is not rocket science - either you support the deal, whether or not it would pass the Commons, or you don't. If you don;t you quit if you do you stay and take the consequences when it is voted down.

I have no sympathy for Grayling in the slightest as he's the Transport Secretary who doored a cyclist and then fled the scene.

However, I do think it could take some time to decide between your personal loyalty to an individual you have supported closely for a long time and your personal judgement on a matter of policy. He must trust May's judgement to a considerable degree, so to find his own judgement in conflict with it must be a wrench.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402

DavidL said:

Hang on, I'm losing track: Has Penny Mordaunt resigned and been completely forgotten about in the general brouhaha, or is she still in Cabinet?

She's not made it onto the Guardian liveblog as resigned, and they have a list with all the PPS resignations.
    Some of these PPS's have real jobs.
    Yes, my point was that the Guardian's desire for completeness included them, indeed it includes a Downing Street official who has also resigned, even though politically there is a tendency to overlook them.
    My point was I wasn't quite so sure about Penny Mordaunt who always sounds like a character out of Harry Potter to me, probably Slytherin.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

You are evading the point - the deal being a mess is not Labour's doing. Voting down that mess is still Labour's own choice however. Maybe it is the right choice, we shall see. The fact of it being a mess may or may not justify that choice. But it will still be their choice and if that choice leads to a terrible no deal outcome that the Tories did a bad job doesn't take away Labour's choice.
    I did say (admittedly to someone else) that Labour are responsible for their actions from here. Which they are.

What I said was the Tories were responsible for the current mess which exists regardless of Labours future voting intentions on the deal. Which they are. So I do agree with you but my specific point was about the current situation.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    I get the sense that Brexit not happening on 29/03/19 will now become favourite.

And in turn a referendum and ultimately Remain will in due course become favourite too.

Brexiteers have overplayed their hand.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    PM is meeting with Penny Mordaunt now, demanding a suspension of collective responsibility.

May will refuse, which *surely* means Mordaunt has to go.
  • Options

Labour MPs need to know they are voting between a soft exit and a cliff edge crash. If the majority of Tory MPs vote for the former and they vote for the latter it is clear who will be responsible.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Jonathan said:

The Tory Party is putting forward and majority voting for a very workable Brexit Plan. It looks like the Labour Party is voting for the cliff edge crash.
    Hmmm. Keep on saying it if it makes you feel better, but when Tory MPs are openly slagging off each other and sending open letters of no confidence in the PM to Brady, I think it's fair to say that this is not a Labour thing.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Jonathan said:

You think the Tories will hold together long enough to actually put the deal to a vote?
  • Options
    Theo said:

Jonathan said:

I’m not sure there are many prizes for being able to deliver a bare majority of your party unless you hold 100% of the seats in Parliament. Otherwise it’s just another way of saying the government can’t command the confidence of the house.
  • Options
    Why don't you just split as Labour did over defence and Europe and everyone can be happy?
  • Options
    DavidL said:
    Was he in Dover when he said this?
  • Options
    DUP will not be supporting the deal.

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/1063079665965916160
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    stodge said:

stjohn said:

Lammy says May "was handed a sticky wicket".

No. Absolutely not.

May decided she wanted to be Prime Minister when Cameron resigned. It might have been an over-inflated "sense of duty" but she took the chance when it was offered without any hesitation. Her conduct during the EU Referendum when she was almost as invisible as Jeremy Corbyn is all the evidence you need she is an opportunist who would have happily remained (as it were) as HS had Cameron stayed on and awaited his retirement before putting herself forward.

My guess is she will have to be dragged away from No.10 by her fingernails and its' interesting she is relying more on the Cabinet Secretary and other senior civil servants to support her and hold the line. She is treating the office of PM just as she did the office of Home Secretary surrounding herself with sycophantically loyal officials and advisers.
    Absolutely! The implicit idea that this situation was somehow forced on May is bizarre.
  • Options

I know it can be confusing for Islamophobes such as yourself but Corbyn continuing Ed's policies opposing the occupation of Palestine isn't anti semitism. Embrace the reality ;)
    LOL. I am not an Islamaphobe. Far from. I stand by my record on here of calling out Islamaphobia and anti-Semitism, and it says nothing positive about you that you descend to that level.

But for the record, Corbyn's doing much more than than you say. And people should stop hiding their anti-Semitism behind anti-Zionism.

I should ask how bonfire night went for you. Did you mix up your Katyusha and sparklers?
    I think your just consistent in being an angry man, Islamophobes are often angry people.
  • Options
    So was it confirmed at Gove refused to accept the Brexit Secretary job? If so May lost two of them in a day - some going
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I think that must be the right thing to do. It's high-risk, for all the reasons we've explored, and highly unsatisfactory on a number of counts, but since there is no chance at all of the EU agreeing a better deal than the PM has managed to achieve, and since leaving without a deal would be absolutely catastrophic, the only possible way out is to reverse the People's Vote, and the only possible way of doing that with sufficient democratic cover would be to re-run it. Of course, it would be a 50-50 shot at best, but that's better than a 100% chance of disaster.
    has anyone calling for a second referendum any idea what the question might be ?
    Yes, absolutely, many options have been presented. No one has yet agreed a question though because, officially, neither party backs it.

I do think that will change. Even as (in fact because of how) pathetically riven as they are the Tories will not want to concede a GE as the price (I don't see how they avoid one in 2019 at some point though) for a referendum, and a referendum is Labour's backup option if there is no GE, so I would think there is a chance they will agree for a no deal, deal, remain referendum, with Labour backing remain and Tories arguing every which way. I know Labour have leave votes, but their membership and MPs know what they want to do here. Maybe it would be on a free campaign and vote, in which case most Labour people will campaign for remain.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Why don't you just split as Labour did over defence and Europe and everyone can be happy?
    I think a split is a real possibility.

Someone has described today as 'The last days of Caligula without the orgies and shagging'
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Hmmm. Keep on saying it if it makes you feel better, but when Tory MPs are openly slagging off each other and sending open letters of no confidence in the PM to Brady, I think it's fair to say that this is not a Labour thing.
    A minority of the Conservative parliamentary party is being irresponsible. The entirety of the Labour parliamentary party is.
  • Options

So was it confirmed at Gove refused to accept the Brexit Secretary job? If so May lost two of them in a day - some going

If he refused to accept it she never lost him in the position.
  • Options

All of them, obviously.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    felix said:

DavidL said:
    Nah, he definitely does not want to be seen anywhere near a Deal.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,473
    edited November 2018
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Whatever, the Tories will carry the can for the outcome of this whole charade, which they own from start to finish.
  • Options

All of them, obviously.
    I had planned to write both my Sunday threads tonight and tomorrow because I'm busy all day Saturday.

Do you think this is a good weekend to write threads in advance?
  • Options

All of them, obviously.
    :smile:
  • Options
    Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

A minority of the Conservative parliamentary party is being irresponsible. The entirety of the Labour parliamentary party is.
    If you want Labour to govern, it is very easy - resign.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Good luck with that, Theo.

• Options

I think that must be the right thing to do. It's high-risk, for all the reasons we've explored, and highly unsatisfactory on a number of counts, but since there is no chance at all of the EU agreeing a better deal than the PM has managed to achieve, and since leaving without a deal would be absolutely catastrophic, the only possible way out if parliament won't accept the deal is to reverse the People's Vote, and the only possible way of doing that with sufficient democratic cover would be to re-run it. Of course, it would be a 50-50 shot at best, but that's better than a 100% chance of disaster. (And both are worse than a near-100% chance of a decent result, which parliament seem set to reject. Hey-ho)
    How to stop the vote from being a 50/50: a) enfranchise 16 year olds. Scotland is the precedent. b) allow UK citizens living overseas to vote postally. c) Have at least three options to be ranked in preference, without committing in advance to the methodology by which the findings will be presented.

I reckon that takes it up to an 80% probability [/rorystewart]
  • Options

Someone has described today as 'The last days of Caligula without the orgies and shagging'

That's an exaggeration. I'm sure there's some shagging going on.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2018
    Theresa May is in an impossible position. There's no way she can satisfy all shades of opinion at the same time. But kudos to her for trying.
  • Options

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Good luck with that, Theo.

A content free response because you can't justify their behaviour.
  • Options
    I should think it would strengthen her position considerably.
  • Options

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

You think the Tories will hold together long enough to actually put the deal to a vote?
    I think it is 50/50 that the deal gets to a vote at some point, 99/1 that it fails. I think the responsible thing for the Commons to do is formally reject it. Even if it is obvious, as it is, that it won't get through, I think people should know how many would back it. The EU might be interested in the answer as well, since if we accept for the sake of argument they are up for some level of renegotiation, knowing how many would have accepted this offer might be a price for opening up renegotiation at all.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    Xenon said:

Mr Jessop is right, Leave argued for all sorts of things but very few argued for 'No Deal' (is that what you mean by 'proerly leave'?)
    Mrs May's deal would fulfil the referendum result even if it is Brexit In Name Only and worse than staying.

Cameron already went and got the best deal possible from the EU. The voters rejected this best deal and voted to leave.

The leave vote wasn't for yet another renegotiation with the EU. Unfortunately this seems to be what it has become since they've decided not to plan to leave on WTO terms at all.
    If the leave plan was always to leave without a deal then they should have had the f*ing guts to say so during the referendum. Their lies and mendacity is beyond belief. Everything that has ever been said about the euro-loonies is being shown to be the case.
  • Options

stodge said:

Just co-ordinate it with the Labour Party and have a nice re-alignment.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Which brings us to the core of the matter. You lot are willing to crash the economy, plunging millions of people into joblessness and poverty to get a shot at government. You people are selfish and disgusting.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Theresa May is in an impossible position. There's no way she can satisfy all shades of opinion at the same time. But kudos to her for trying.

Sometimes leadership isn't about trying to satisfy mutually incompatible shades of opinion, it is showing some grit and leadership and accepting you'll annoy some people.

Instead she's show no backbone and simply wound down the clock until signing the deal the EU wrote for her. She doesn't deserve kudos for that.
  • Options

All of them, obviously.
    I had planned to write both my Sunday threads tonight and tomorrow because I'm busy all day Saturday.

Do you think this is a good weekend to write threads in advance?
    You should write a thread about that and use these images from the Day the Earth caught Fire.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Whatever, the Tories will carry the can for the outcome of this whole charade, which they own from start to finish.
    I didn't say otherwise(that the Tories will not take serious blame that is), what are you on about? Obviously the Tories take by far the largest hit because they are in power, but if parliament votes against everyone who did bears some responsibility for their actions if that then leads to a negative outcome. It is hardly controversial to suggest people are accountable for their actions, it is one of the principles of conduct in public life.

Moreover, while I am not voting Tory again for a very long time at the least, it is very disheartening that people are still choosing to focus, overwhelmingly, on which party to blame the most right now and how much, and their leadership ambitions, etc etc.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

I think the Tories will hold together and I do not think Corbyn will be prime minister. Even if they cannot hold together on Europe. I cro not see a large amo7nt of personal support for Theresa May in the 40% support for Conservatives. A significant amount of this is against scared of a Corbyn style gov would do. Corbyn was 60 seats short last time and is now less popular, and if he looks like a contender he will then falter under the scrutiny.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Which brings us to the core of the matter. You lot are willing to crash the economy, plunging millions of people into joblessness and poverty to get a shot at government. You people are selfish and disgusting.
    I love you too. You probably need to lie down. You're the one wanting Labour to ride to the rescue.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402

stodge said:

We should all be grateful for small mercies.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I have no sympathy for Grayling in the slightest as he's the Transport Secretary who doored a cyclist and then fled the scene.

However, I do think it could take some time to decide between your personal loyalty to an individual you have supported closely for a long time and your personal judgement on a matter of policy. He must trust May's judgement to a considerable degree, so to find his own judgement in conflict with it must be a wrench.
    To discover that he has any judgment at all would be quite an achievement.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

felix said:

DavidL said:
    Nah, he definitely does not want to be seen anywhere near a Deal.
    He's certainly no Brightun!
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Anorak said:

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

To be fair, I have been up and down all afternoon.
  • Options

stodge said:

Good, it's pathetic and sad to see a party tear itself apart then swear they are all good buddies through broken teeth and bleeding faces.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Well yes, but then Labour would have lost a bunch of seats to the tories at the next election.

Corbyn may be stupid but having seen what happened to SLab on the whole "campaign with the Tories thingy" they weren't going to do that again.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

I love you too. You probably need to lie down. You're the one wanting Labour to ride to the rescue.
    To the rescue of the nation. They don't need to worry that the government would last long afterwards after all.
  • Options
    The amusing thing which is being lost in the maelstrom is that, on the EU side, there are concerns that the deal is too favourable to the UK:

France, Spain, Denmark and the Netherlands are all understood to have serious concerns that a customs union has been handed to the UK without sufficient safeguards to ensure British companies cannot undercut European industry. They are likely to make their voices heard at a meeting of EU affairs ministers on Monday.

They are not grandstanding, this has been a consistent concern in some parts of the EU right from the start.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/15/theresa-may-brexit-deal-best-we-can-do-brussels-warns
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Sky: they are only finding third raters from the Gov to support Theresa. Alan Duncan is their top find!

Supporting this Deal is going to be CV strychnine for any of her wannabe successors. *Nobody* wants to touch it.

I understand Mr Gove is having his wisdom teeth fixed..

• Options
    Alistair said:

Well yes, but then Labour would have lost a bunch of seats to the tories at the next election.

Corbyn may be stupid but having seen what happened to SLab on the whole "campaign with the Tories thingy" they weren't going to do that again.
    I don't know about David Frum but there is nothing that would have delighted Glen O'Hara more than Labour losing scores of seats, so it is annoying to him that Corbyn isn't that stupid.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

I think your just consistent in being an angry man, Islamophobes are often angry people.
    Angry, nah. Amused. I'm quite enjoying today.

I'm intrigued why you keep on calling me an Islamaphobe. As far as I can tell, it's because I say that both the Palestinians and Israelis have to make moves to peace, and that my calls for he Palestinian groups to stop launching rockets (or in your words, fireworks) are a sign of a feverish Islamaphobe.

Despite the fact I say the Israelis have more moves to make as well.

Is that it, or have I committed some other sin?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    DavidL said:

stodge said:

We should all be grateful for small mercies.
    Time to start hiding behind curtains.
  • Options
    Gove is going to have to come out of hiding at some point. He can't stay in a quantum superposition of Brexit secretary/Not brexit secretary/resigned/unresigned forever.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Whoever takes it on is going to need to do some turbo-charged No Deal preparation. Basically, two years worth in two months....
  • Options

The amusing thing which is being lost in the maelstrom is that, on the EU side, there are concerns that the deal is too favourable to the UK:

France, Spain, Denmark and the Netherlands are all understood to have serious concerns that a customs union has been handed to the UK without sufficient safeguards to ensure British companies cannot undercut European industry. They are likely to make their voices heard at a meeting of EU affairs ministers on Monday.

They are not grandstanding, this has been a consistent concern in some parts of the EU right from the start.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/15/theresa-may-brexit-deal-best-we-can-do-brussels-warns

Then I have good news for them, they will have a different PM to negotiate with by next week anyway.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

I've voted Tory in every election since 1997, and today's selfish and disgusting behaviour by the Tories will - in all likelihood - mean that I don't vote for them again. Given the state of Labour, I will probably end up just sitting at home. A plague on both their houses.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Then I have good news for them, they will have a different PM to negotiate with by next week anyway.
    Not by next week. Next month, perhaps.
  • Options

Whoever takes it on is going to need to do some turbo-charged No Deal preparation. Basically, two years worth in two months....
    That's not possible. No matter how much money or people you put into things sometimes they take time, you cannot do that much in that short space of time.
  • Options

Gove is going to have to come out of hiding at some point. He can't stay in a quantum superposition of Brexit secretary/Not brexit secretary/resigned/unresigned forever.

Reporters said there were "genuine family reasons" so perhaps not today
  • Options
    Are we sure Theo isn't Archer? Its a high quality spoof if not
  • Options

I've still not seen an answer as to why we need Brexit secretary. They seem to claim they never see anything until it is too late anyway, so just have the department report directly to the PM.

It's one less Cabinet Minister to inevitably resign.
This discussion has been closed.