Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the overall majority odds moved on a dramatic night of pol

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    The idea that the only party that's capable of forming a government should voluntarily go into Opposition is off with the fairies.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

You can't sell 15 years of austerity when you'd promised 5
    You can't sell 20,000 police cuts when we are under seige
    You can't sell public sector pay freezes when you trouser thousands and thousands
    You can't sell mums house after her ten year battle with dementia
    You can't sell hard Brexit to your core remainers
    You can't demonise a man for his associations in the past when you suck up to and arm ISIS sponsoring Saudis.
    You can't do public service on the cheap.
    You can't call the citizens of your capital citizens of nowhere.
    You can't punch your most loyal support group in the face and expect them to love you

I think the constant availability of money for vanity projects was damaging.

Leaders are meant to lead by example yet Cameron and Osborne and now May would never let their own pet projects go unfunded.
    The key I think is 15 years austerity when you promised 5.
    Why would anyone be happy about that? Or even understanding? We took the pain and you failed and now we get more pain? Yeah, no thanks
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928

Alistair said:

Seriously, hooking up with the DUP is going to go down as a worse mistake than calling the election in the first place.

They are the racist uncle who hates poofs that ruins Christmas for you every year
    As opposed to the antisemites, Hococaust deniers with 'friends' who hang gays sat across the floor of the Commons wearing red rosettes?

Ireland is just more socially conservative than England, and most of their social policy is devolved anyway. All the DUP seem to be saying is that they'll vote with the Queen's Speech and the Budget if there's some infrastructure cash and favourable tax policy heading across the Irish Sea. Sounds reasonable to me, given the alternative.
  • Options
    tyson said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Going in with the DUP wipes out a lot of hard work moving the Tory image forwards out of the 1970's, it also leaves with beholden to a minority interest party.
    They should have just publicly offered the keys to Corbyn etc, binned May and consolidated their very high vote count and share. Now they are wobbling along, wounded and aimless.

Strategically they should go into opposition to the rainbow. They aren't that clever.
    They want to hold onto power even though they are a vacuum of ideas currently.
    Which will cost them heavily and not even in the medium term. They are trapped and on a hiding to nothing. There is no way they can make this situation work. It's amusing.
    I wonder if fox hunting will make it to the queens speech...titter.....

Seriously the queens speech will have the vision of a dead parrot, inspire as much as a dead parrot, and be as useful as a dead parrot....

May has Brexit and sod all else and she's screwed that one up....I almost feel sorry for her...
    None of the granny punching policies, no fox hunting, no energy cap.
    QS = my government will exit the EU.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,475
    Well lets hope he does better preparation than what he did for his Budget.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,274
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

The amount of derision being heaped on millennial virtue signalling Twitter users seems pretty rum given they just turned out and handed the kind of people who sneer at them a shellacing

Maybe less sneering and more listening is required.

This is incredible! I was talking with a mate earlier, who isn't really a political buff, and he was saying "Why is Corbyn giving it the big one? He lost! If Donald Trump phones up and asks to speak to the Prime Minister he gets Theresa May!!"

A shellacking when you don't win is a new one on me! And I reckon the first time voters who celebrated last night will wake up tmrw thinking "Hang on.. Corbyn isn't PM...."
    Obviously this has been a very bad result for May and the Tories. But I think us political obsessives shouldn't assume that the general public will appreciate the nuance of what's happened. My mum was perplexed at why Jezza was so happy. I notice too that the Prince of Darkness wasn't exactly glowing in his assessment of Labour's position.
    We are more or less where we were in 2010 except the Lib Dems wont prop the Tories up now
    As I said earlier, I don't understand why Tezzie didn't ask the LibDems for a deal before lining up with the bowler hats.
  • Options

To many Tories, myself included, last night felt like a landslide defeat where we remain in office.

But May specifically called the election asking the electorate to increase her majority. The electorate said no to what she asked for, therefore she lost.
  • Options
    Are there any views as to why Ipswich changed hands ?

I would have thought it was the sort of downmarket town where the Conservatives did well this year.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Seriously, hooking up with the DUP is going to go down as a worse mistake than calling the election in the first place.

They are the racist uncle who hates poofs that ruins Christmas for you every year
    As opposed to the antisemites, Hococaust deniers with 'friends' who hang gays sat across the floor of the Commons wearing red rosettes?

Ireland is just more socially conservative than England, and most of their social policy is devolved anyway. All the DUP seem to be saying is that they'll vote with the Queen's Speech and the Budget if there's some infrastructure cash and favourable tax policy heading across the Irish Sea. Sounds reasonable to me, given the alternative.
    There's filth on both sides of the spectrum. Twas ever thus. Doesn't mean you encourage them.
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207
    If I were a Tory strategist, I'd first be trying to figure out what my core vote actually is. As far as I can tell, it consists of the selfish, the scared, and the pigshit stupid. The selfish are the natural constituency, while the scared and the pigshit stupid are brainwashable with pictures of dustbins and Muslims. It seems that doesn't get me a Commons majority these days. Worse still, these people are a fading electoral force, replaced by youngsters who, through the expansion of higher education and the Internet, are better informed than ever before. And these clever buggers are seeing through my government-is-the-problem free-market capitalist ideology, presumably because they have seen the compliant generation above them duped into donating their birthright to the landlords and bankers.

So it looks my party has become seriously toxic again. Where do I go from here?
  • Options

Alistair said:

That's the sort of person that makes Christmas go with a swing.

Major and Callaghan both cut deals with the Unionists. Why shouldn't May?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

I would have thought it was the sort of downmarket town where the Conservatives did well this year.

it has a new uni, not all of Ipswich are in the seat, the suburbs are in another seat.
  • Options

Red kippers and students
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    They need to bin grammars and free school expansion, channel the money into the mainstream schools.
    Look at a bursary for nurses and midwives again, look at a bursary for uni students on low income to encourage the attainment gap to close.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

The amount of derision being heaped on millennial virtue signalling Twitter users seems pretty rum given they just turned out and handed the kind of people who sneer at them a shellacing

This is incredible! I was talking with a mate earlier, who isn't really a political buff, and he was saying "Why is Corbyn giving it the big one? He lost! If Donald Trump phones up and asks to speak to the Prime Minister he gets Theresa May!!"

A shellacking when you don't win is a new one on me! And I reckon the first time voters who celebrated last night will wake up tmrw thinking "Hang on.. Corbyn isn't PM...."
    Obviously this has been a very bad result for May and the Tories. But I think us political obsessives shouldn't assume that the general public will appreciate the nuance of what's happened. My mum was perplexed at why Jezza was so happy. I notice too that the Prince of Darkness wasn't exactly glowing in his assessment of Labour's position.
    We are more or less where we were in 2010 except the Lib Dems wont prop the Tories up now
    As I said earlier, I don't understand why Tezzie didn't ask the LibDems for a deal before lining up with the bowler hats.
    1. Farron ruled out doing any deal.

2. The DUP are pretty like-minded with May on Brexit, whereas the Lib Dems are not. A deal with the DUP is May's best hope of retaining sole control over the Brexit negotiations, rather than opening up the process to parties that she would have to compromise with.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

The idea that the only party that's capable of forming a government should voluntarily go into Opposition is off with the fairies.

Fairies at the end of the garden will fall into a higher tax band ....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

The DUP are cute hoors, who'll sell their votes to the Tories. They're not going to ban Christmas and maypoles.
  • Options

AR404 said:

I make it she was 39 votes switching or 69 absolute short of a technical majority with Sinn Fein sitting out.
    Perth, Dudley North and Newcastle Under Lyme

And Crewe lost by 49, Kensington lost by 30 if reports are right. Another 200 votes their way would have got to 326
    1000 switchers would have got her a Cameron majority. 1500 switchers a 20 seat cushion
    But to achieve 1,000 switchers in key seats you have to persuade 1,000,000 switchers nationally.
  • Options
    It was an unspeakable blunder to imagine that a general election could be fought solely on the issue of Brexit. We already had a referendum on that, less than a year ago. Believe it or not, people have bigger worries in their lives.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    atia2 said:

Opposition... And wait for Jezza to bankrupt the country and the lights to go out (literally)
    which he will in fairly quick order...
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    @SeanF

How are you feeling about Brexit at the moment? Is there a concern you'll have to get back to organising work with UKIP again in case Parliament ends up with us revoking Article 50? Or is that route dead now, even if Farage does make yet another comeback?

(Also, with a second referendum under discussion, are any of the Vote Leave crew putting out feelers to start preparing, just in case?)
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

LibDems would've wanted a 2nd ref !
  • Options
    What Conservatives should understand the number of Uni students has increased exponentially over the last decade, and the Tory government has actually sped up that increase because tuition fees has led to more places.
  • Options

isam said:

Alistair said:

To many Tories, myself included, last night felt like a landslide defeat where we remain in office.
    Its the underachievement caused by incompetence.

And it came as a shock - all those experts with their 100 majority predictions.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,896
    edited June 2017
    Does anyone know why Sporting STILL haven't settled their GE Seats and Turnout % spread betting markets? Is it perhaps because one of the more remote Scottish Highland & Island constituencies has yet to finalise its numbers?
  • Options

@SeanF

How are you feeling about Brexit at the moment? Is there a concern you'll have to get back to organising work with UKIP again in case Parliament ends up with us revoking Article 50? Or is that route dead now, even if Farage does make yet another comeback?

(Also, with a second referendum under discussion, are any of the Vote Leave crew putting out feelers to start preparing, just in case?)

At the moment, I just don't know.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

The DUP are cute hoors, who'll sell their votes to the Tories. They're not going to ban Christmas and maypoles.
    The stank of their homophobia and religious backwardness will be hard to wash off.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited June 2017
    Alistair said:

Bad night for republican Scot Nats all round eh ?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,282

Does anyone know why Sporting STILL haven't settled their GE Seats and Turnout % spread betting markets? Is it perhaps because one of the more remote Scottish Highland & Island constituencies has yet to finalise its numbers?

Kensington?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    atia2 said:

It was an unspeakable blunder to imagine that a general election could be fought solely on the issue of Brexit. We already had a referendum on that, less than a year ago. Believe it or not, people have bigger worries in their lives.

Actually, fighting the election purely on Brexit would probably have lead to a Con majority...

The real mistake, as discussed at length on here, was veering off in all directions like threatening to take away the WFA and stealing people's homes when they get ill...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

atia2 said:

Opposition... And wait for Jezza to bankrupt the country and the lights to go out (literally)
    He has promised sweeties for all, and has to deliver. He really has to. I've seen some of my friends and their evangelical attitude towards his cause, one misstep and they will fall apart like a cheap suit.
  • Options
    atia2 said:

If I were a Tory strategist, I'd first be trying to figure out what my core vote actually is. As far as I can tell, it consists of the selfish, the scared, and the pigshit stupid. The selfish are the natural constituency, while the scared and the pigshit stupid are brainwashable with pictures of dustbins and Muslims. It seems that doesn't get me a Commons majority these days. Worse still, these people are a fading electoral force, replaced by youngsters who, through the expansion of higher education and the Internet, are better informed than ever before. And these clever buggers are seeing through my government-is-the-problem free-market capitalist ideology, presumably because they have seen the compliant generation above them duped into donating their birthright to the landlords and bankers.

Those 'clever buggers' have been getting themselves into £50k of debt for often near worthless degrees.

Not so clever in my opinion.
  • Options

Kensington is the last seat to declare, they're still counting after they sent everyone home for a rest earlier. Declaration should be in the next hour or two, it's allegedly down to a handful of votes between Con and Lab.
  • Options
    nunu said:

What Conservatives should understand the number of Uni students has increased exponentially over the last decade, and the Tory government has actually sped up that increase because tuition fees has led to more places.

Solution: stop educating the young. IMMEDIATELY!
  • Options
    Boris has a dream..... going back to the country with 'the first 350 million per week saved by exiting the EU for our NHS' as his keystone policy
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

@SeanF

At the moment, I just don't know.
    Thanks. I owe a lot to folk like you. Hope if it comes to the worst, you're up for it all over again.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

GIN1138 said:

atia2 said:

He has promised sweeties for all, and has to deliver. He really has to. I've seen some of my friends and their evangelical attitude towards his cause, one misstep and they will fall apart like a cheap suit.
    Indeed. There is a "cult-like" persona building up around Jezza. The only way your going to burst that is to let him get power and watch him destroy the country (sadly)
  • Options
    That sounds like Johnny Mac....
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

The stank of their homophobia and religious backwardness will be hard to wash off.
    The DUP have just won a stonking victory in Northern Ireland. They're fully entitled to participate in our political life. Northern Ireland is simply a much more religious place than most of the rest of the UK. but, they're realists. They're not going to impose hardline Protestantism on the rest of us.
  • Options
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

But then again, they're not required.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    atia2 said:

Was it fought on Brexit. Did May lay out her detailed Brexit plan which we could judge? I must have missed that.

The campaign was fought on the basis of May not being Corbyn. Hilary showed the folly of that approach last year.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,521
    And it took two bites at the cherry in the 20th Century....
  • Options
    nunu said:

Indeed.

Higher education is growing like a pyramid scheme.

Which is pretty much what it is now.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

atia2 said:

Actually, fighting the election purely on Brexit would probably have lead to a Con majority...

The real mistake, as discussed at length on here, was veering off in all directions like threatening to take away the WFA and stealing people's homes when they get ill...
    My point is that the former is impossible. The Tories imagined it was possible.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

The DUP have just won a stonking victory in Northern Ireland. They're fully entitled to participate in our political life. Northern Ireland is simply a much more religious place than most of the rest of the UK. but, they're realists. They're not going to impose hardline Protestantism on the rest of us.
    I hope Alan Duncan has the common decency to mince about them in the House at every opportunity.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,293
    Alistair said:

I think you're right. From the politician who made her reputation by correctly identifying her own party as 'the nasty party' hitching her wagon to the most reactionary unpleasant party in the UK is a ridiculously short sighted decision
  • Options
    atia2 said:

GIN1138 said:

atia2 said:

I think that's right.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Hello Mainland UK from Belfast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU2d1PhTzcs

Get used to it......
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Indeed. They're also on the same page as the Tories wrt Brexit. They'll probably do a deal around some infrastructure spending and the DUP manifesto promise of a 'free zone' in NI with corp tax the same as in the Republic.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,274
    calum said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

LibDems would've wanted a 2nd ref !
    Well that would have been their negotiating position. A guarantee of a softer Brexit, with Nick Clegg appointed to the negotiating team would have been enough.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    GIN1138 said:

atia2 said:

Although they surely didn't do the pre-testing they needed to on this (feedback from political consultants, experienced campaigners, focus groups... any of that would have told them they needed a re-write and re-plan) I wonder whether they only took the risk on this because they were looking at the polls and thought they were so comfortably ahead they could afford to drop a few points (and hence seats) to give themselves an easier ride getting stuff through the next parliament. Would love to know what the mechanics were of the decision to undertake the election and come to the strategy and manifesto that they did. If only so future politicians can avoid it, please!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

The DUP will do or say something repulsive, the PM will be asked I they condone the statement or action. The PM will prevaricate, it will be all over the news as the PM relies on them to pass a vote. Repeat ad infinitum.
  • Options
    atia2 said:

GIN1138 said:

atia2 said:

Maybe but things seemed to go fine for the Tories until they launched that bloody manifesto.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

I hope Alan Duncan has the common decency to mince about them in the House at every opportunity.
    Does Alan Duncan "mince."
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,759
  • Options
    Typo said:

MaxPB said:

Please can we have another "Next Conservative Leader" thread? Preferably identifying the 50/1 outsider who will win it?

;-)

Seconded. @TheScreamingEagles would love to hear your views on this, especially wrt to any outsiders.
    Johnny Mercer. A normal pragmatic guy who commanded a strong personal result in Plymouth against the Labour tide. But this is just me.
    Only because he shared his canvass data with UKIP.
  • Options
    To be honest, if that's not a wind up, that's actually an easy thing to agree to (even if it's dumb). I think the DUP should probably look to extract something a bit more substantial.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

A lot of people are going to learn for the first time that young women are being prosecuted by the state for having abortions NI.

I'm waiting for the first question to May on it.

NI has been out of site and out of mind for 20 years - not anymore.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,004
    Was thinking this was probably the number 1 priority
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Does Alan Duncan "mince."
    Obviously not, he's a very erudite gay man, I was being facetious
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited June 2017
    Good Morning Britain UK etc etc
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,396

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Going in with the DUP wipes out a lot of hard work moving the Tory image forwards out of the 1970's, it also leaves with beholden to a minority interest party.
    They should have just publicly offered the keys to Corbyn etc, binned May and consolidated their very high vote count and share. Now they are wobbling along, wounded and aimless.

Strategically they should go into opposition to the rainbow. They aren't that clever.
    Which will cost them heavily and not even in the medium term. They are trapped and on a hiding to nothing. There is no way they can make this situation work. It's amusing.

Seriously the queens speech will have the vision of a dead parrot, inspire as much as a dead parrot, and be as useful as a dead parrot....

May has Brexit and sod all else and she's screwed that one up....I almost feel sorry for her...
    Unfortunately she will almost certainly include measures limiting civil liberties under the guise of fighting terrorism and even more unfortunately most of the House will support it for fear of being declared soft on terrorism.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

atia2 said:

Although they surely didn't do the pre-testing they needed to on this (feedback from political consultants, experienced campaigners, focus groups... any of that would have told them they needed a re-write and re-plan) I wonder whether they only took the risk on this because they were looking at the polls and thought they were so comfortably ahead they could afford to drop a few points (and hence seats) to give themselves an easier ride getting stuff through the next parliament. Would love to know what the mechanics were of the decision to undertake the election and come to the strategy and manifesto that they did. If only so future politicians can avoid it, please!
    The books to be written on events the last couple of months are going to be absolutely fascinating to read, no matter what your political affiliation.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

To be honest, if that's not a wind up, that's actually an easy thing to agree to (even if it's dumb). I think the DUP should probably look to extract something a bit more substantial.
    Aye, I know!
    I'm just suggesting this may be the first thing on a longish list, and afore ye know it the frog's boiled.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Hello Mainland UK from Belfast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU2d1PhTzcs

Get used to it......

The future's bright, the future's orange.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

atia2 said:

GIN1138 said:

atia2 said:

Maybe but things seemed to go fine for the Tories until they launched that bloody manifesto.
    Exactly. Because you can't avoid the wider business of government in a general election. And what a manifesto it was, written for a Brexit-only election. No detail, no costings, nothing. Just a stuck record bleating on about a strong and stable mandate for Brexit with negotiations starting in 11 days time.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    LOL, I had no idea that the naming of Olympics teams was even within Her Majesty's Government's remit.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    In response to @NickPalmer's question to me FPT

NickPalmer said:

Truthfully, I can't think of any unpleasant groups who he's been associating with since becoming leader, let alone urging them to join a potenil Government. Who did you have in mind?

"STW - though I think he resigned from them when he became leader. They are an unpleasant group and I have noted on this board my objections to their stance, shared by Corbyn in relation to, for instance, the IS genocide of the Yazidis.

Paul Eisner. Raed Salah. The Holocaust denying Palestinian group he travelled with to see President Assad. Not nice people. And not 40 years ago either.

At best he is naive. Or just turns a blind eye. Or adopts a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach.

But, really, Nick: are you really happy that your leader has no qualms about associating with people who are Holocaust deniers? Does it not give you the slightest pang? Not even the slightest uncomfortable feeling?

This is the Labour party, for God's sake, of whom one of your former leaders said: "The party is a moral crusade or it is nothing."

What is moral about associating with Holocaust deniers? If even the most junior Tory MP did that the shrieks of outrage from the Left would be heard from here to the moon. Why is it OK for your leader?

For the record I did not say he was inviting them to government."
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Aye, I know!
    I'm just suggesting this may be the first thing on a longish list, and afore ye know it the frog's boiled.
    July 12th to be a National Holiday!!! (The only reason I would support that is that it is my birthday)
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    At lunch time the BBC announced that Labour had won Kensington.

But now saying they are still counting after a 12 hour break.

Will the Conservatives find some ballots under the carpet?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

A lot of people are going to learn for the first time that young women are being prosecuted by the state for having abortions NI.

Most Northern Irish politicians are hostile to abortion. It's a devolved matter.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    The idea of a Tory government in hock to the DUP, of all parties, is really quite gut-wrenching.

May has to go. She gambled. She lost. Someone else needs to step up to the plate and try and get as large a cross-party consensus on Brexit as is possible.
  • Options

Quite right too.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

No they won't, but half of what they say and believe in will spook the horses in the UK.
  • Options
    Basic strategic errors from the blues included waiting for Corbyn to implode thereby giving him blanket coverage, failing to attack the costed manifesto and allowing labour to have 'costed' accepted as fact (not getting into the accuracy of that here). Offering nothing to vote for.
    Having someone wooden campaign as 'not him' when he comes across as engaging
  • Options
    EDW20000EDW20000 Posts: 138
    Kens' not in yet?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,921
    Mrs May is desperate to retoxify the Tory brand isn't she?

The D U fucking P.

We've done a deal with the party of Sammy 'The gays are poofs and perverts' Wilson.

Trust me in 2015 English voters weren't keen on sending their money to Scotland, they won't be happy about sending English money to Northern Ireland.

What has Northern Ireland ever done for England except brought terrorism to the mainland ?

Mrs May needs to be deposed before she fatally damages the Tories, if she already hasn't.
  • Options

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Unfortunately she will almost certainly include measures limiting civil liberties under the guise of fighting terrorism and even more unfortunately most of the House will support it for fear of being declared soft on terrorism.
    She's going to have to walk a very thin line with that. Deporting foreigners is fine, but anything that looks like internment, ID cards or changing the burden of proof is going to find more than a handful of rebels.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Aye, I know!
    July 12th to be a National Holiday!!! (The only reason I would support that is that it is my birthday)
    We should make 23rd June a national holiday.
  • Options
    calum said:
    Tbh I can't help a feeling more than a little schadenfreude towards a working class Catholic who pimped himself out to the Mail. He should at least get a wee thrill from NI Loyalists' strange attraction towards Israel.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

The Lib Dems would've demanded a 2nd ref, no? If they didn't it's Tuition fees mkII
  • Options
    I posted last night that I couldn't wait for the ignoramus level comments from the snowflakes once the DUP got involved.

Right on cue, and as predictable as they are as people.

I know the outline of the Nigel Dodds list of what the DUP are after and ts not that contentious.

• Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Just a thought about the huge change in Scotland over the last few years.

Only 5 out of the 59 seats O&S, Western Isles, Dundee East, Edinburgh S and DCT have not change hands at least once in either 2015 or 2017.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,448
    calum said:

Good Morning Britain UK etc etc
    Aren't they very much OK with "British", but hypersensitive about the distinction between GB and UK?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

No they won't, but half of what they say and believe in will spook the horses in the UK.
    So Harold..tell me everything they believe then?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

She's going to have to walk a very thin line with that. Deporting foreigners is fine, but anything that looks like internment, ID cards or changing the burden of proof is going to find more than a handful of rebels.
    I hope so but my view of MPs is so poor that nothing would surprise me.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Most Northern Irish politicians are hostile to abortion. It's a devolved matter.
    I don't think you get it. It's now a UK matter. Everything the DUP now does reflects on the Cons as they are working with them. The denial of evolution, the Ulster Resistance, everything.

Imagine if you will Labour had formed a coalition/agreement with Sinn Fein. That is what is happening now.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Basic strategic errors from the blues included waiting for Corbyn to implode thereby giving him blanket coverage, failing to attack the costed manifesto and allowing labour to have 'costed' accepted as fact (not getting into the accuracy of that here). Offering nothing to vote for.

It all started with fox-hunting. I said it on PB all along, people were bringing it up on the doorsteps all the Goddamn time.
  • Options
    Team UK in return for no ulster men in the Irish RU team
  • Options
    With the DUP supporting the Conservatives we can expect Corbyn to invite the Continuity IRA to tea in parliament.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Aye, I know!
    We should make 23rd June a national holiday.
    That I can agree with. Get rid of the May bank holiday at the end of May and have June 23rd instead.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

But, really, Nick: are you really happy that your leader has no qualms about associating with people who are Holocaust deniers? Does it not give you the slightest pang? Not even the slightest uncomfortable feeling?

What does this mealy-mouthed phrase "associating with" mean? Supporting? Agreeing with?
    Speaking to? Being in the same room as? On the same bus? Walking down the other side of the street from?

It's stuff and nonsense. I never hear people say it in everyday life - they say instead exactly what they mean. I only hear it when someone wants to tar someone else's reputation "by association".

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    At least they know which year of the new century it is!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

atia2 said:

That does sound likely to me.

Especially considering the NI issue in the Budget.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    Team yUK. Not a bad name for the May's new coalition of chaos.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

It all started with fox-hunting. I said it on PB all along, people were bringing it up on the doorsteps all the Goddamn time.
    Yes that was an oddly daft thing to bring up. If she was that keen just get a backbencher to introduce it and tell your MPs to vote freely. Don't put it in the manifesto!
This discussion has been closed.