Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the overall majority odds moved on a dramatic night of pol

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281

Mrs May is desperate to retoxify the Tory brand isn't she?

The D U fucking P.

We've done a deal with the party of Sammy 'The gays are poofs and perverts' Wilson.

Trust me in 2015 English voters weren't keen on sending their money to Scotland, they won't be happy about sending English money to Northern Ireland.

What has Northern Ireland ever done for England except brought terrorism to the mainland ?

Mrs May needs to be deposed before she fatally damages the Tories, if she already hasn't.

The Conservatives are not called the Conservative and Unionist Party for nothing, we are a United Kingdom of 4 nations and the largest party in one of those nations has as much right to get some influence on legislation as the SNP would have done had Corbyn been able to form a majority with them. The fact the Tories made by far and away their biggest gains in Scotland last night only confirms the fantasy of some rightwingers that an independent England freed of its Celtic cousins and Ulster would have a permanent Tory majority is precisely that
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Y0kel said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Seriously, hooking up with the DUP is going to go down as a worse mistake than calling the election in the first place.

They are the racist uncle who hates poofs that ruins Christmas for you every year
    As opposed to the antisemites, Hococaust deniers with 'friends' who hang gays sat across the floor of the Commons wearing red rosettes?

Ireland is just more socially conservative than England, and most of their social policy is devolved anyway. All the DUP seem to be saying is that they'll vote with the Queen's Speech and the Budget if there's some infrastructure cash and favourable tax policy heading across the Irish Sea. Sounds reasonable to me, given the alternative.
    The DUP are cute hoors, who'll sell their votes to the Tories. They're not going to ban Christmas and maypoles.
    The stank of their homophobia and religious backwardness will be hard to wash off.
    The DUP have just won a stonking victory in Northern Ireland. They're fully entitled to participate in our political life. Northern Ireland is simply a much more religious place than most of the rest of the UK. but, they're realists. They're not going to impose hardline Protestantism on the rest of us.
    No they won't, but half of what they say and believe in will spook the horses in the UK.
    So Harold..tell me everything they believe then?
    From what I remember they are anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage and have a number of creationists in their senior membership. Shall I do some googling?
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    Dragged directly into the sharp end of sectarian politics.

Somebody please intervene and quickly. This is hideous.
  • Options

Was thinking this was probably the number 1 priority
    That would actually be a sensible idea from the DUP, afterall why should NI athletes be ignored from the team name of the country they represent?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Seriously, hooking up with the DUP is going to go down as a worse mistake than calling the election in the first place.

They are the racist uncle who hates poofs that ruins Christmas for you every year
    As opposed to the antisemites, Hococaust deniers with 'friends' who hang gays sat across the floor of the Commons wearing red rosettes?

Ireland is just more socially conservative than England, and most of their social policy is devolved anyway. All the DUP seem to be saying is that they'll vote with the Queen's Speech and the Budget if there's some infrastructure cash and favourable tax policy heading across the Irish Sea. Sounds reasonable to me, given the alternative.
    The DUP are cute hoors, who'll sell their votes to the Tories. They're not going to ban Christmas and maypoles.
    The stank of their homophobia and religious backwardness will be hard to wash off.
    The DUP have just won a stonking victory in Northern Ireland. They're fully entitled to participate in our political life. Northern Ireland is simply a much more religious place than most of the rest of the UK. but, they're realists. They're not going to impose hardline Protestantism on the rest of us.
    A lot of people are going to learn for the first time that young women are being prosecuted by the state for having abortions NI.

I'm waiting for the first question to May on it.

NI has been out of site and out of mind for 20 years - not anymore.
    Most Northern Irish politicians are hostile to abortion. It's a devolved matter.
    I don't think you get it. It's now a UK matter. Everything the DUP now does reflects on the Cons as they are working with them. The denial of evolution, the Ulster Resistance, everything.

Imagine if you will Labour had formed a coalition/agreement with Sinn Fein. That is what is happening now.
    A radiostation for a bit banter !

https://www.facebook.com/SashbashFMRadio/
  • Options
    chrisbchrisb Posts: 108
    Danny565 said:

LOL, I had no idea that the naming of Olympics teams was even within Her Majesty's Government's remit.

It's not!
  • Options
    Plus it doesn't matter what official DUP policy is, or what is in any agreement. Every stupid quote, every daft past policy, every odd association will be all over the news for weeks and weeks.
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207
    Typo said:

Yes. Opening a can of worms.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

A lot of people are going to learn for the first time that young women are being prosecuted by the state for having abortions NI.

Most Northern Irish politicians are hostile to abortion. It's a devolved matter.
    I don't think you get it. It's now a UK matter. Everything the DUP now does reflects on the Cons as they are working with them. The denial of evolution, the Ulster Resistance, everything.

Imagine if you will Labour had formed a coalition/agreement with Sinn Fein. That is what is happening now.
    The DUP aren't anti-British, and they aren't terrorists. Most English people think Northern Irish prods are a bit odd, but they aren't afraid of them.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

At least they know which year of the new century it is!
    The 18th?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    HaroldO said:

Y0kel said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

No they won't, but half of what they say and believe in will spook the horses in the UK.
    From what I remember they are anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage and have a number of creationists in their senior membership. Shall I do some googling?
    Have you read the manifesto?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

They need to bin grammars and free school expansion, channel the money into the mainstream schools.
    Look at a bursary for nurses and midwives again, look at a bursary for uni students on low income to encourage the attainment gap to close.

No reason they cannot do both, I would certainly restore the bursary for nurses and midwives and put more money into education across the board but no reason we cannot have a few more grammars and free schools and academies too. Beyond personalities the Tories need move beyond a diet of austerity and Brexit
  • Options
    atia2 said:

Typo said:

Yes. Opening a can of worms.
    It's going to make coalition with the Liberal Democrats look like WINNIE THE POOH.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

I posted last night that I couldn't wait for the ignoramus level comments from the snowflakes once the DUP got involved.

Right on cue, and as predictable as they are as people.

I know the outline of the Nigel Dodds list of what the DUP are after and ts not that contentious.

Will they demand that May join the Association of Loyal Orangewomen?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Sandpit said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Going in with the DUP wipes out a lot of hard work moving the Tory image forwards out of the 1970's, it also leaves with beholden to a minority interest party.
    They should have just publicly offered the keys to Corbyn etc, binned May and consolidated their very high vote count and share. Now they are wobbling along, wounded and aimless.

Strategically they should go into opposition to the rainbow. They aren't that clever.
    They want to hold onto power even though they are a vacuum of ideas currently.
    Which will cost them heavily and not even in the medium term. They are trapped and on a hiding to nothing. There is no way they can make this situation work. It's amusing.
    I wonder if fox hunting will make it to the queens speech...titter.....

Seriously the queens speech will have the vision of a dead parrot, inspire as much as a dead parrot, and be as useful as a dead parrot....

May has Brexit and sod all else and she's screwed that one up....I almost feel sorry for her...
    None of the granny punching policies, no fox hunting, no energy cap.
    QS = my government will exit the EU.
    Unfortunately she will almost certainly include measures limiting civil liberties under the guise of fighting terrorism and even more unfortunately most of the House will support it for fear of being declared soft on terrorism.
    She's going to have to walk a very thin line with that. Deporting foreigners is fine, but anything that looks like internment, ID cards or changing the burden of proof is going to find more than a handful of rebels.
    She can't play politics with human rights laws given her dire position, which is only a good thing.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HaroldO said:

They need to bin grammars and free school expansion, channel the money into the mainstream schools.
    Look at a bursary for nurses and midwives again, look at a bursary for uni students on low income to encourage the attainment gap to close.

No reason they cannot do both, I would certainly restore the bursary for nurses and midwives and put more money into education across the board but no reason we cannot have a few more grammars and free schools and academies too. Beyond personalities the Tories need move beyond a diet of austerity and Brexit
    They are seen as vanity projects by quite a few.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That would actually be a sensible idea from the DUP, afterall why should NI athletes be ignored from the team name of the country they represent?
    It is Great Britain & Northern Ireland, its just shortened to TeamGB..and for those not good enough they can have a chance of being part of Team Ireland.

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Np point having an agreement with Sinn Fein - they don't take their seats in parliament so don't have any votes.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

HaroldO said:

Y0kel said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

As I have already said, it doesn't matter what is in their manifesto. Which person in the UK reads the manifestos of the main parties, let alone a NI one.
    It's about what is going to be all over the news, in print, online and on TV.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    nielh said:

Sandpit said:

tyson said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Going in with the DUP wipes out a lot of hard work moving the Tory image forwards out of the 1970's, it also leaves with beholden to a minority interest party.
    They should have just publicly offered the keys to Corbyn etc, binned May and consolidated their very high vote count and share. Now they are wobbling along, wounded and aimless.

Strategically they should go into opposition to the rainbow. They aren't that clever.
    They want to hold onto power even though they are a vacuum of ideas currently.
    Which will cost them heavily and not even in the medium term. They are trapped and on a hiding to nothing. There is no way they can make this situation work. It's amusing.
    I wonder if fox hunting will make it to the queens speech...titter.....

Seriously the queens speech will have the vision of a dead parrot, inspire as much as a dead parrot, and be as useful as a dead parrot....

May has Brexit and sod all else and she's screwed that one up....I almost feel sorry for her...
    None of the granny punching policies, no fox hunting, no energy cap.
    QS = my government will exit the EU.
    Unfortunately she will almost certainly include measures limiting civil liberties under the guise of fighting terrorism and even more unfortunately most of the House will support it for fear of being declared soft on terrorism.
    She's going to have to walk a very thin line with that. Deporting foreigners is fine, but anything that looks like internment, ID cards or changing the burden of proof is going to find more than a handful of rebels.
    She can't play politics with human rights laws given her dire position, which is only a good thing.
    Her Brexit Secretary has a history of flouncing over it
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    isam said:

A perfectly decent post I thought ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Does anyone have a regional breakdown of votes yet?

Paging @AndyJS
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Does anyone know why Sporting STILL haven't settled their GE Seats and Turnout % spread betting markets? Is it perhaps because one of the more remote Scottish Highland & Island constituencies has yet to finalise its numbers?

Kensington is the last seat to declare, they're still counting after they sent everyone home for a rest earlier. Declaration should be in the next hour or two, it's allegedly down to a handful of votes between Con and Lab.
    Many thanks and to BJO also, I wasn't aware of this situation ..... bloody incredible that it's still dragging on.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,063
    Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

I posted last night that I couldn't wait for the ignoramus level comments from the snowflakes once the DUP got involved.

I know the outline of the Nigel Dodds list of what the DUP are after and ts not that contentious.

Or denouncing the Pope as the antichrist....

Or banning song from churches.....

The DUP are miserable, dour, proddies....a veritable blast from the past....Theresa will be fine with them after all....

• Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    isam said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

The amount of derision being heaped on millennial virtue signalling Twitter users seems pretty rum given they just turned out and handed the kind of people who sneer at them a shellacing

Maybe less sneering and more listening is required.

This is incredible! I was talking with a mate earlier, who isn't really a political buff, and he was saying "Why is Corbyn giving it the big one? He lost! If Donald Trump phones up and asks to speak to the Prime Minister he gets Theresa May!!"

A shellacking when you don't win is a new one on me! And I reckon the first time voters who celebrated last night will wake up tmrw thinking "Hang on.. Corbyn isn't PM...."
    Obviously this has been a very bad result for May and the Tories. But I think us political obsessives shouldn't assume that the general public will appreciate the nuance of what's happened. My mum was perplexed at why Jezza was so happy. I notice too that the Prince of Darkness wasn't exactly glowing in his assessment of Labour's position.
    We are more or less where we were in 2010 except the Lib Dems wont prop the Tories up now
    As I said earlier, I don't understand why Tezzie didn't ask the LibDems for a deal before lining up with the bowler hats.
    The Lib Dems would've demanded a 2nd ref, no? If they didn't it's Tuition fees mkII
    The LibDems it seems are going to have USP policies that are also red-line policies

This is an utter nonsense.

They will never ever be able to form a coalition with any other party ever. So it is either 325+ seats or no involvement with government whatsoever.

Wow those coalition scars run deep.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

No but the English fry will be replaced by the Ulster Fry on the Parliamentary cafe menus.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,759
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

The DUP aren't anti-British, and they aren't terrorists. Most English people think Northern Irish prods are a bit odd, but they aren't afraid of them.
    Lucky old English people.

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

At least they know which year of the new century it is!
    The 18th?
    Is the wrong answer...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Cookie yes this is pretty much my ideal result. I'm a very lucky lad.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,851
    edited June 2017
    tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

The DUP are miserable, dour, proddies....a veritable blast from the past....Theresa will be fine with them after all....

Who many people in Northern Ireland have willing voted for. If you slander the DUP, you slander their voters. If that's your intention, that's your prerogative, but if it isn't, I'm pointing out that's what your doing.
  • Options
    All that raw red meat Theresa May dangled in front of her headbangers....fox hunting, a hard Brexit, grammar schools, privatising health, ripping up the Human Rights act....the only thing she can offer that shower are soggy bits of old lettuce....
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    The PM (or one of the grown ups in her cabinet) need to be addressing the young directly. They voted, she has ignored them, and potentially little will change. Myths will build. She needs to be humble and open, and in listening mode. She needs a young friendly policy now.

Or her replacement does.
  • Options

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

Who many people in Northern Ireland have willing voted for. If you slander the DUP, you slander their voters. If that's your intention, that's your prerogative, but if it isn't, I'm pointing out that's what your doing.
    I struggle to believe that the Northern Irish are the happiest people in Britain when you look at their politicians...
  • Options
    ab195 said:

The PM (or one of the grown ups in her cabinet) need to be addressing the young directly. They voted, she has ignored them, and potentially little will change. Myths will build. She needs to be humble and open, and in listening mode. She needs a young friendly policy now.

Or her replacement does.

Her replacement shouldn't be from the cabinet. There's more talent on the back benches.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Freggles said:

isam said:

A perfectly decent post I thought ?
    Not sure the analogy worked?

Labour needed to avoid a 3 goal defeat to stay up, Tories needed to win by 3 to be champions, and it finished 2-0 Tories. I'll leave it open!

Pondering the progressive coalition if there were one, you'd have Labour wanting rid of the Royal Family, the SNP wanting to break up the UK and the Lib Dems wanting another EU ref!

Bunch of Pleb(iscite)s?

• Options
    HaroldO said:

Y0kel said:

HaroldO said:

Y0kel said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

As I have already said, it doesn't matter what is in their manifesto. Which person in the UK reads the manifestos of the main parties, let alone a NI one.
    Those who want to get over it will, those who don't won't. It'll be a hold over until the next election, thats it.

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Sandpit said:

Does anyone know why Sporting STILL haven't settled their GE Seats and Turnout % spread betting markets? Is it perhaps because one of the more remote Scottish Highland & Island constituencies has yet to finalise its numbers?

Kensington is the last seat to declare, they're still counting after they sent everyone home for a rest earlier. Declaration should be in the next hour or two, it's allegedly down to a handful of votes between Con and Lab.
    Many thanks and to BJO also, I wasn't aware of this situation ..... bloody incredible that it's still dragging on.
    The count staff were, I understand, literally falling asleep at the end of the second recount. Not how you want them to start the third...
  • Options
    Typo said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

Her replacement shouldn't be from the cabinet. There's more talent on the back benches.
    One should hope so...the front bench is hardly full of Ronaldos and Messis
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    edited June 2017
    ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

There's nothing the Tories can do or say to win over the young. They are Jezza's now.

The only thing that will change this is when Jezza gets power and they see the true horror of what a hard left, marxist government looks like.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

HaroldO said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Lucky old English people.

Easy mistake !
    https://twitter.com/LoyalistTattoos/status/605330422373957632
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The D U fucking P.

We've done a deal with the party of Sammy 'The gays are poofs and perverts' Wilson.

Trust me in 2015 English voters weren't keen on sending their money to Scotland, they won't be happy about sending English money to Northern Ireland.

What has Northern Ireland ever done for England except brought terrorism to the mainland ?

Mrs May needs to be deposed before she fatally damages the Tories, if she already hasn't.

The Conservatives are not called the Conservative and Unionist Party for nothing, we are a United Kingdom of 4 nations and the largest party in one of those nations has as much right to get some influence on legislation as the SNP would have done had Corbyn been able to form a majority with them. The fact the Tories made by far and away their biggest gains in Scotland last night only confirms the fantasy of some rightwingers that an independent England freed of its Celtic cousins and Ulster would have a permanent Tory majority is precisely that
    Unionists and Conservatives are natural allies.

And plenty of Scottish Conservatives are in the Orange Order.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,921
    MaxPB said:

Please can we have another "Next Conservative Leader" thread? Preferably identifying the 50/1 outsider who will win it?

;-)

Seconded. @TheScreamingEagles would love to hear your views on this, especially wrt to any outsiders.
    I'll do a thread on it for Sunday, I have an idea or two.

But like last time, lay Boris like one of his many mistresses
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Alistair said:

The amount of derision being heaped on millennial virtue signalling Twitter users seems pretty rum given they just turned out and handed the kind of people who sneer at them a shellacing

Spot on.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    calum said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

This is incredible! I was talking with a mate earlier, who isn't really a political buff, and he was saying "Why is Corbyn giving it the big one? He lost! If Donald Trump phones up and asks to speak to the Prime Minister he gets Theresa May!!"

A shellacking when you don't win is a new one on me! And I reckon the first time voters who celebrated last night will wake up tmrw thinking "Hang on.. Corbyn isn't PM...."
    Obviously this has been a very bad result for May and the Tories. But I think us political obsessives shouldn't assume that the general public will appreciate the nuance of what's happened. My mum was perplexed at why Jezza was so happy. I notice too that the Prince of Darkness wasn't exactly glowing in his assessment of Labour's position.
    We are more or less where we were in 2010 except the Lib Dems wont prop the Tories up now
    As I said earlier, I don't understand why Tezzie didn't ask the LibDems for a deal before lining up with the bowler hats.
    LibDems would've wanted a 2nd ref !
    And stv without a referendum Kendal as city of culture, free mint cake paid for by the state, cable as chancellor to sto
    Him challenging him as leader (although i think he will go next week) as a afterthought drop A 50. Whilst I think that would be brilliant, credit to the original author, there is only about 3m others would agree
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The D U fucking P.

mhh - Imagine if someone rewrote that second to last paragraph to refer to another group

Not very classy TSE, not at all
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited June 2017
    Typo said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

Lots of wheeling and dealing is going to be needed, so I think it will be someone experienced (though that doesn't rule out ex-ministers forced out by the May Purge, for example, so could still be outside the current cabinet). Moreover, they need to command respect within the party, so surely someone senior who's shown safe hands before.

But the flip side, and what I would love to see, is for the Tories to announce someone fresh-faced and mould-breaking, so the replacement is seen as a statement of positive intent and not a retreat. Kwasi Kwarteng perhaps?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

The LDs aren't going anywhere near the Tories given what happened to them after 2010-15. That's why.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

In response to @NickPalmer's question to me FPT

NickPalmer said:

Truthfully, I can't think of any unpleasant groups who he's been associating with since becoming leader, let alone urging them to join a potenil Government. Who did you have in mind?

"STW - though I think he resigned from them when he became leader. They are an unpleasant group and I have noted on this board my objections to their stance, shared by Corbyn in relation to, for instance, the IS genocide of the Yazidis.

Paul Eisner. Raed Salah. The Holocaust denying Palestinian group he travelled with to see President Assad. Not nice people. And not 40 years ago either.

At best he is naive. Or just turns a blind eye. Or adopts a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach.

But, really, Nick: are you really happy that your leader has no qualms about associating with people who are Holocaust deniers? Does it not give you the slightest pang? Not even the slightest uncomfortable feeling?

This is the Labour party, for God's sake, of whom one of your former leaders said: "The party is a moral crusade or it is nothing."

What is moral about associating with Holocaust deniers? If even the most junior Tory MP did that the shrieks of outrage from the Left would be heard from here to the moon. Why is it OK for your leader?

For the record I did not say he was inviting them to government."

Nick setting up a straw man, who'd have thought it.

Just to remind ourselves about Corbyn

https://order-order.com/2017/06/08/100-times-jeremy-corbyn-sided-terrorists/
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,921
    Floater said:

The D U fucking P.

mhh - Imagine if someone rewrote that second to last paragraph to refer to another group

Well you know, it's my way of educating the masses.

You do realise there's some people in the country who think terrorism on the mainland is a new thing.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I was wrong about almost everything last night. I thought the only place that the Tories would struggle to meet expectations was Scotland. I was convinced the exit poll was wrong and still wanted to bet on a Con Maj, but luckily was drunk and fell asleep before I could!

Quite an astonishing election; I'm surprised that May got about 100k more votes than Blair in 97, but even more amazed that Corbyn got 1.5m more than Cameron in 2015.

Well done to all those that managed to make money betting on this madness!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Funny that the party so keen to caricature Farron's equivacations about gay sex, are so keen to jump into bed with those who make no equivacation on the subject at all!

• Options

Floater said:

The D U fucking P.

You do realise there's some people in the country who think terrorism on the mainland is a new thing.
    Quite a lot of Labour voters apparantly
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

There's nothing the Tories can do or say to win over the young. They are Jezza's now.

The only thing that will change this is when Jezza gets power and they see the true horror of what a hard left, marxist government looks like.
    Abandon that demographic altogether and they're stuffed. They won't win a majority amongst them, or even a plurality, but they need to get back in amongst the pack. Right now even many adults only voted Tory to keep our Corbyn - we're living in a world of a postponed Labour landslide under a patriotic Corbynite and doing nothing won't help them.

There again I work in the public sector and the Tories have been telling me I'm scum for years. I'm losing the will to care about wider issues, hold my nose, and consider them. So it's not just the young they have an issue with.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

And Sinn Fein were also voted for by lots of voters but apparently they are beyond the pale. The double standards here is incredible.
  • Options
    BTW TSE - I share some of your concerns re DUP - but I am desperate to keep team trot from power.

Feck, no matter how bad things are now they would be far,far worse under them.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,917
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

JackW said:

Brom said:

I'm quite uncomfortable with the way a lot of people on my social media (London) talk about the DUP. Most of these people have never been to Northern Ireland, knew nothing of Northern Irish politics until today and yet are acting like the Conservatives are going into coalition with a third world junta rather than the most popular democratically elected party in a part of the United Kingdom. Presumably they see the Northern Irish as slightly less human than themselves.

Because social media is 99% value-signalers who are obsessed with the gays? Sod stable government etc, as long as every single person in politics has the exact same belief system as them.....

I think you'll find the Prime Minister threw away stable government with her grubby and calculating attempt to manipulate the electorate through an unnecessary trip to the polls.
    She didn't try to manipulate anyone. She saw an opportunity and took it.

Thing is, as has been endlessly rehearsed on here, all she did was see the opportunity plus assume that it would remain whatever she did or didn't do. That was her flaw.
    She saw the opportunity and completely blew it.
    She cost a number of colleagues their seats, destroyed any prospect of implementing any program beyond Brexit, and massively weakened her room for negotiation over Brexit, while creating huge uncertainty over what might happen next.
    And destroyed whatever personal brand she might have with large swathes of the electorate - including many who reluctantly voted for her.

Other than that, a notable success.
    Don't disagree.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

Abandon that demographic altogether and they're stuffed. They won't win a majority amongst them, or even a plurality, but they need to get back in amongst the pack. Right now even many adults only voted Tory to keep our Corbyn - we're living in a world of a postponed Labour landslide under a patriotic Corbynite and doing nothing won't help them.

There again I work in the public sector and the Tories have been telling me I'm scum for years. I'm losing the will to care about wider issues, hold my nose, and consider them. So it's not just the young they have an issue with.
    Where do they do this?

I'm most curious
  • Options
    AR404AR404 Posts: 21
    GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

That's why Corbyn should be handed power as a minority, he'll be just like Trump and find it harder than it actually looks. All those years on the backbenches and campaigning for fringe issues are great but ain't the real thing. Once all the sectional groups within the current Labour party (arch remainers in London, red Ukippers in the north, students, public sector workers) will all be wanting their slice and how is he going to please them all when some of them want things directly opposed to others within the big tent?
  • Options
    UKIP were Rick Buckler and Bruce Foxton having a go at making an album after Paul Weller left
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928
    Floater said:

Floater said:

The D U fucking P.

Quite a lot of Labour voters apparantly
    Warrington South in particular they seem to have very short memories.
  • Options
    Maybe just maybe we will see political parties start looking to the future to form their policies, take an lnterst in what younger people want and stop pandering to the oldies. On the other hand some bright spark will propose raising the voting age because these young people don't know what they are on about, look they don't vote Tory so they must be deranged. Well if they don't wake up and smell the coffee and start producing forward looking policies they are toast.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,063

MaxPB said:

Please can we have another "Next Conservative Leader" thread? Preferably identifying the 50/1 outsider who will win it?

;-)

Seconded. @TheScreamingEagles would love to hear your views on this, especially wrt to any outsiders.

any spurs fans in there?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The D U fucking P.

Yes, one positive out of this election is that with 13 Tory seats in Scotland now, 8 Tory seats in Wales and a likely pact for government with the NI Unionists the idea that the Tories are and should be only an English party can be put to bed, the Tories suffered a bigger swing against them in England than any other home nation
  • Options
    Floater said:

BTW TSE - I share some of your concerns re DUP - but I am desperate to keep team trot from power.

We salute you Ruth.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

Bluntly, she can't afford to.

Her party has loaded austerity onto the young for the last 7 years and it's now baked into the books. It's why reversing her anti-young policies like tuition fees are so incredibly expensive that they're represented as a *magic money tree* fantasy by rightwingers.

The tories found their magic money tree (for the triple lock etc) after the financial crisis *by* squeezing the young until their pips squeeked.

She can say nice things to the young, but she has no other option but to rob them in order to bribe their grandparents.

That's the whole point of the tory party.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018

The D U fucking P.

Biggest issue raised on my knocking up yesterday? Disability cuts. Osborne did quite enough as chancellor 15-16 to retoxify the brand all on his own.

How do you propose to get to 326?
  • Options

Funny that the party so keen to caricature Farron's equivacations about gay sex, are so keen to jump into bed with those who make no equivacation on the subject at all!

I've always defended Farron's right to express his religious beliefs.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    Thanks to all you posted last night, OGH and thread writers.

My jaw is slowly returning from the floor. Hope you all enjoyed PB's results night.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

HYUFD said:

It is Great Britain & Northern Ireland, its just shortened to TeamGB..and for those not good enough they can have a chance of being part of Team Ireland.

Everyone referred to it as 'Team GB'
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

Start engaging with them would be a start,start something like knocking a couple of grand off the uni fee's,will cost the government money though ;-)

And trust might take form in another leader who could connect with them like Davidson.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

And Sinn Fein were also voted for by lots of voters but apparently they are beyond the pale. The double standards here is incredible.
    Sinn Fein are our enemies. The DUP are our allies.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

equivocation; equivacation would be a riding holiday. And it compounds the offence rather than mitigating it.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ab195 said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

That's what's got to happen I think.

A Corbyn/ite majority government (whether it's a landslide or not) followed by bankruptcy and the lights going out (literally) as the reality of a Marxist government bites.

They say everything in life circular and it seems our fate is to relive the 70's (but with a far more extreme government than anything we saw under Wilson and Callaghan)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    Pong said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

Her party has loaded austerity onto the young for the last 7 years and it's now baked into the books. It's why reversing her anti-young policies like tuition fees are so incredibly expensive that they're represented as a *magic money tree* fantasy by rightwingers.

The tories found their magic money tree (for the triple lock etc) after the financial crisis *by* squeezing the young until their pips squeeked.

She can say nice things to the young, but she has no other option but to rob them in order to bribe their grandparents.
    Yup. And the biggest Tory betrayal? Houses.

Force the house builders to build some soddding houses, or start building themselves is what the government needs to do. Ban overseas oweneership would be a great start.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I've always defended Farron's right to express his religious beliefs.
    And it's the Lib Dems, shorn of Orange Bookers, who have no interest in any coalition 2.
  • Options

Floater said:

We salute you Ruth.
    Yes, who would have imagined large parts of Scotland turning blue
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Y0kel said:

HaroldO said:

Y0kel said:

HaroldO said:

Those who want to get over it will, those who don't won't. It'll be a hold over until the next election, thats it.

I'm sympathetic to your POV y0kel - the UK has for centuries been a very diverse place, with subtantial regional and national variations that seem to pass a lot of melting pot metropolitan types by, until they suddenly discover we have the Wrong Kind of Diversity.

But where I think that HaroldO and TSE are correct is that many of "those who don't want to get over it, and won't" are in one of the voting pool that the Tories will be fishing most depserately in the next election.

Trying to win back those high-income, high-education, working-age, urban types, who have been put off by Hard Brexit, fox-hunting, and May's old-fashioned anti-cosmopolitan "citizen of nowhere" jibes will be made harder by association with the DUP. It undoes Cameron's hard work detoxifying his party in this segment (primarily with gay marriage, but for a while his eco-husky phase too).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The D U fucking P.

Yes, one positive out of this election is that with 13 Tory seats in Scotland now, 8 Tory seats in Wales and a likely pact for government with the NI Unionists the idea that the Tories are and should be only an English party can be put to bed, the Tories suffered a bigger swing against them in England than any other home nation
    The Tories have to be a UK nationalist party, not an English nationalist one.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ab195 said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

That isn't true, se my earlier post given forward looking policies that can connect can knock labour out of the park. Does any party have the ability and vision I don't know but labour weren't offering a future if you look carefully. The "kids" aren't stupid but need to be given a better alternative which till now they haven't had ( obviously to the original poster rather than the secon)
  • Options
    Theresa has now given credibility to the hard left with that bumbling, stumbling campaign.

Bravo madam - you have fucked us all over royally.

Where the hell do we go from here?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Mortimer said:

The D U fucking P.

Biggest issue raised on my knocking up yesterday? Disability cuts. Osborne did quite enough as chancellor 15-16 to retoxify the brand all on his own.

Let us not forget it was Osbournes idea to cut the police budget to it's bone.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

A Corbyn/ite majority government (whether it's a landslide or not) followed by bankruptcy and the lights going out (literally) a the reality of Marxist government bites.

They say everything in life circular and it seems our fate is to relive the 70's (but with a far more extreme government than anything we saw under Wilson and Callaghan)
    I am not certain that elements of the hard left infecting that party would relinquish power if they ever got it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pong said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

You know what's really robbing the young? Mammothly increasing the deficit or refuse g any austerity to cut it so that today's spending is paid for woth interest in perpetuity by the young.

Nobody has a legacy that has hurt the young more than Gordon Brown. Interest payments are already one of the highest expenditure items in the budget and would have increased massively if Corbyn, Abbott etc were in charge.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The D U fucking P.

The Tories have to be a UK nationalist party, not an English nationalist one.
    Agree entirely
  • Options
    Floater said:

The D U fucking P.

Lol, I think you be missing the point.
  • Options

Pong said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

You know what's really robbing the young? Mammothly increasing the deficit or refuse g any austerity to cut it so that today's spending is paid for woth interest in perpetuity by the young.

Nobody has a legacy that has hurt the young more than Gordon Brown. Interest payments are already one of the highest expenditure items in the budget and would have increased massively if Corbyn, Abbott etc were in charge.
    That's the thing isn't it - look at interest payments now in a relatively benign environment - imagine what would happen as tax revenues fell and borrowing soared under a far left spending splurge.

Even under "austerity" conditions we are still borrowing money by the lorry load and one day another bad recession will come along.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,375
    Mortimer said:

Pong said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

Yup. And the biggest Tory betrayal? Houses.

Force the house builders to build some soddding houses, or start building themselves is what the government needs to do. Ban overseas oweneership would be a great start.
    Fix the housing market. People become Conservative once they become homeowners. Giving the 20 - 35 year old age bracket the chance to become homeowners without inheritance would go a long way to making inroads with this demographic.

Once you have an asset that's yours, a patch of grass, a few bricks to call your own, suddenly socialism looks a lot less appealing, when you realise people are more interested in taking it away from you than in giving you something taken from someone else.

See also the dementia tax. When you mess with people's homes, they stop being Tories.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Alistair said:

Floater said:

The D U fucking P.

Whilst I'm giving Ruth the main plaudits here, thanks v much Alistair for the Borders tips!
  • Options
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

A Corbyn/ite majority government (whether it's a landslide or not) followed by bankruptcy and the lights going out (literally) a the reality of Marxist government bites.

I am not certain that elements of the hard left infecting that party would relinquish power if they ever got it.
    Well there was talk in the 70's of a coup being needed... But in the end democracy sorted it out.

It will do so again...
  • Options
    Floater said:

ab195 said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

Where do they do this?

I'm most curious
    Come on, not one conservative politician in the last seven years has made any effort to think about the morale of the public sector. Spiteful stuff like cutting holiday allowances and TCs was paired with (at times) necessary pay restrictions in the name of "modernisation" and has done precisely the opposite. Any Tory near a microphone speaks about further reform, but without any effort to reach or to the large chunk of e.g. the civil service that actively wants to modernise and hates some of the old fashioned nonsense.

It's also in the lexicon - such as referring to the private sector as the "productive" part of the economy. Activists on fora like this one assuming the public sector is a Labour block vote is also the sort of statement that quickly becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

If you don't feel like someone wants your vote, eventually you stop worrying about the argument for any of their policies in any other areas.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Floater said:

The D U fucking P.

Enlighten me
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Floater said:

Theresa has now given credibility to the hard left with that bumbling, stumbling campaign.

Bravo madam - you have fucked us all over royally.

Where the hell do we go from here?

Have someone with vision take over?

But maybe it isn't possible. Labour 97-10 basically: increased number of students and costs, increased immigration, attacked private pensions, created a house price bubble, sucked more people into state handouts, and massively ran up the debt and deficit.

They created all the problems we are still working through, but no-one wants to take the medicine. So when Jezza pops up and says: "have an ice-cream instead", it appeals.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

MaxPB said:

;-)

Please big up Heidi Allen MP. Austerity and cuts to welfare is one of the big reasons why Tories lost.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928

Pong said:

ab195 said:

Or her replacement does.

Indeed. I'm coming to the conclusion that in 2010 we should have had actual austerity like they had in Ireland - 15% in cash terms off all benefits, pensions and public salaries.

Osborne did a good job to balance spending and taxes to hold GDP just positive for a few years, but the people have now decided that they've put up with sensible for long enough and we should just open the spending taps again - despite the £50bn annual deficit.

All that will save our kids now is some decent inflation and interest rates up a couple of points.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Mortimer said:

The D U fucking P.

If Mrs May was even vaguely capable we wouldn't be worrying about getting to 326, Must be the worst PM in living memory.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Floater said:

The D U fucking P.

Whilst I'm giving Ruth the main plaudits here, thanks v much Alistair for the Borders tips!
    My only regret was losing so much money on Hilary that I could not take all the bookies money on those seats. Dumfries and Galloway was particularly enriching.
This discussion has been closed.